Why Gurus dont Use Wordpress?

89 replies
A Simple Question:

Why?
#gurus #wordpress
  • Profile picture of the author tpw
    Because gurus typically want to have more features and control for their sites than WordPress offers.

    Some of the things we want to do in WordPress are clunky at best.

    But then Frank Kern's personal site uses WordPress: Frank Kern
    Signature
    Bill Platt, Oklahoma USA, PlattPublishing.com
    Publish Coloring Books for Profit (WSOTD 7-30-2015)
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5677962].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Daniel Evans
      Originally Posted by tpw View Post

      Because gurus typically want to have more features and control for their sites than WordPress offers.

      Some of the things we want to do in WordPress are clunky at best.

      But then Frank Kern's personal site uses WordPress: Frank Kern
      I wish Frank Kern would kern his logo type....
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5680396].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Devon Brown
    I use Wordpress for all my sites.. and when I set up sites for my clients, I set them up with WP and teach them how to use it as well. I think it's the most user-friendly. Heck of a lot easier learning that than HTML
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5677975].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Gene Pimentel
    First, define 'guru'.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5677987].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author pbarnhart
      Originally Posted by Gene Pimentel View Post

      First, define 'guru'.
      Anyone making more money at this than I am. There are a LOT of gurus on this forum
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5678018].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author myob
      Originally Posted by Gene Pimentel View Post

      First, define 'guru'.
      The real meaning of guru

      Real gurus use real html. Choose carefully.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5679674].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Alminc
      Originally Posted by Gene Pimentel View Post

      First, define 'guru'.
      The word 'guru' in my vocabulary is reserved for very rare, extremely knowledgeable teachers, who don't really care about making money, but instead they care about what they teach. Money simply comes to them because they are not fake in any way.
      Signature
      No links :)
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6476669].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Nail Yener
    Which gurus and for what types of websites are you talking about? WordPress is very flexible and I know lots of high-traffic websites including some popular internet marketing blogs that use WordPress.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5677995].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author tpw
    My biggest complaint with WordPress is high memory overhead on a high-traffic website.
    Signature
    Bill Platt, Oklahoma USA, PlattPublishing.com
    Publish Coloring Books for Profit (WSOTD 7-30-2015)
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5678009].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author wolfmmiii
      Originally Posted by tpw View Post

      My biggest complaint with WordPress is high memory overhead on a high-traffic website.
      Are you not caching?
      Signature
      Want a REAL Online Business That's Fun to Run?
      CLICK HERE FOR INFO
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5678112].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author tpw
        Originally Posted by wolfmmiii View Post

        Are you not caching?

        I do, but with the traffic some of my sites receive, low processing and memory overhead is always a consideration.

        Even with caching in place, I had to move my domains to VPS or find a new host.
        Signature
        Bill Platt, Oklahoma USA, PlattPublishing.com
        Publish Coloring Books for Profit (WSOTD 7-30-2015)
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5678158].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author JohnnyMazuma
          Everyone is a guru at something, IMHO.

          Personally, I won't touch WP for all the money in the world. I have many reasons and will name just a few.

          * Horrifying HTML/CSS configurations: Too many novices sign-up for this thing thinking it's the best solution for their needs without realizing they need a programmer for fix all the darned problems.
          * Poor Platform Stability: Open source has always led to significant problems between plug-ins and how the core system should operate. Even the plug-ins conflict with each other requiring a programmer to fix all the problems.
          * Poor Security: Open source leads to too many people learning how to and including methods of hacking WP and its plug-ins.
          * It's Just Bad!: There's nothing you can do to make it better apart from chucking the system in the garbage and starting over.
          * Open Source Can NEVER Be PCI-DSS Compliant: PCI compliance requires a hosted solution, which keeps the source code from prying hands.
          * Open Source Can NEVER Be PA-DSS Compliant: Payment Application modules/services must be closed source. Even Magento's Payment Module is closed source.
          * Merchants of ALL Sizes Must Now Be PCI Compliant and Use PCI/PA-DSS Solutions: Merchant account companies increase the risk rating and increase fees for non-PCI compliant merchants.

          You're welcome to have differing opinions on the first four items and I respect that. However, the last three items are facts.

          Thank you for allowing me my opinion and respect me for sharing it.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5678705].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author chadgatlin
            Originally Posted by JohnnyMazuma View Post

            * Poor Security: Open source leads to too many people learning how to and including methods of hacking WP and its plug-ins.
            I won't hate on wordpress, but I can attest to this point. I am going through a bit of problems myself right now. Read and see:

            http://www.warriorforum.com/programm...activated.html
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6479299].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Techology
            Those last 3 'facts' Mazuma mentions are not facts at all. But the first 'non facts' are a problem if you install dodgy plugins (and unless you fully understand php you have no chance of knowing) or don't keep the core up to date.
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6479328].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Richard Pickett
            Originally Posted by JohnnyMazuma View Post

            Everyone is a guru at something, IMHO.

            * Poor Platform Stability: Open source has always led to significant problems between plug-ins and how the core system should operate. Even the plug-ins conflict with each other requiring a programmer to fix all the problems.
            * Poor Security: Open source leads to too many people learning how to and including methods of hacking WP and its plug-ins.
            * Open Source Can NEVER Be PCI-DSS Compliant: PCI compliance requires a hosted solution, which keeps the source code from prying hands.
            * Open Source Can NEVER Be PA-DSS Compliant: Payment Application modules/services must be closed source. Even Magento's Payment Module is closed source.
            I chopped some of those out and only left the ones on open source.

            Are you saying all the linux (which is open source) servers can NEVER be PCI-DSS / PA-DSS compliant?

            So your site(s) are all running on Windows using IIS - and that makes you feel more safe?

            (can you hear everyone else laughing in the background?)

            Originally Posted by JohnnyMazuma View Post

            You're welcome to have differing opinions on the first four items and I respect that. However, the last three items are facts.
            No, it's definitely still just your opinion.

            I've been securing linux servers for 10+ years now, including ones in the Pentagon and for banks. Never heard any complaints after we had our scans, PCI was probably the easiest of all the security hurdles those boxes had to go through.
            Signature
            Mastering Email Delivery
            Have (or want) a large list and want to ensure delivery and eliminate spam reports?
            Inbox me
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6479455].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author Techology
              Originally Posted by Richard Pickett View Post

              PCI was probably the easiest of all the security hurdles those boxes had to go through.
              Oh yes. Anything based on Unix has a massive head start that's for sure.
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6479473].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Karen Blundell
      Originally Posted by tpw View Post

      My biggest complaint with WordPress is high memory overhead on a high-traffic website.

      solution: switch to a web host that has LiteSpeed, you'll notice a huge difference.
      Signature
      ---------------
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5680758].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author pbarnhart
    If you want a "set it and forget it" site or a site with a lot of stable content, why add all the work necessary to keep a wordpress site secure and current?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5678012].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Danny Cutts
    I use to hate wordpress and would only use drupal for my sites then suddenly wordpress became very flexible and is fantastic now :-)

    I have also got the seo sorted so my sites rank very well with wordpress now all wordpress needs now is a good shopping cart solution and I will be over the moon :-)

    Danny
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5678030].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Serenity090
    Yeah their personal sites are mainly based upon wordpress - but i have noticed they mainly develop their business or product related or authority sites in htm form...
    Signature

    Love the Humanity...:)

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5678131].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author gpb
    I agree with Johnny, if you are trying to make a real quality online property that does more than just make you money, you are going to want to have a custom built website. You just can't get the same results with WP when compared to custom solutions so I would get a programmer from freelancer to do it for you.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5678800].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author BurtL
    If you want quick and easy you'd go with wordpress. Then at a certain point, depending on the site/product you'd move towards a custom site.
    Signature

    Aphasia: Loss of Language NOT Intelligence.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5679242].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author zardon
    @JohnnyMazuma, do you recommend something else, drupal, modx or something -- or does it depend on what you're trying to do? Thanks
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5679392].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author PaulyC
    I know for a fact a few of the most well-respected internet marketers use wordpress, so I don't really know if that statement is completely accurate when you lump them all together. It's possible to take the wordpress platform and make it look completely non-wordpress, but as far as I know and have heard most people are using it.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5679471].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Raydal
    Where is that picture of the broad brush I saw on the
    forum yesterday?

    This is a very general statement to make as indicated
    before. I've seen, like others, many top sites that do
    use WordPress. There may a lot of plugins and other
    customizations but the base is still WordPress.

    But on the other hand, maybe those top sites are
    not run by gurus.

    -Ray Edwards
    Signature
    The most powerful and concentrated copywriting training online today bar none! Autoresponder Writing Email SECRETS
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5679543].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Mosa
    I see wordpress used all the time. Not sure what you mean here bud.
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5679706].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author rockstrong
    i love wordpress..i have seen many wordpress users making enough money from their sites.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5679768].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author IMMer1975
      As echoed, it depends what you're trying to do.

      If its for the marketing part of your website...blog, sales letter...works great...can you can easily integrate shopping cart functionality.

      If you're coming out with a new web "product" - (ie. not an info product) - for example, creating your own new facebook competitor or ebay clone, then no, obviously wordpress won't work for that.
      Signature

      Pssst...want to learn how to build marketing funnels in Mautic marketing automation to propel online conversions?

      Or are you interested in learning Wordpress? Check out my free video courses here. Taken by over 25,000 students on Udemy.

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5679854].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author JohnnyMazuma
        Zardon and other Warriors,

        What someone uses for their website should depend upon a few factors. Here's the factors I consider:

        * What skills does the user(s) have?
        * Is the user(s) willing to learn HTML/CSS?
        * What's the purpose behind the site?
        * Does the user(s) have top quality writing skills?
        * Is the user(s) wanting a blog?
        * Is the user(s) wanting to maintain their own content?
        * Who's going to modify the HTML/CSS so the templates support proper SEO?
        * Is the user(s) creative enough to develop link bait?
        * What kind of user(s) permission structure needs supporting?
        * Will the user(s) be handed the keys and left alone to their own merits?
        * Will the user(s) want ecommerce abilities?

        IMHO, failing to consider these items and more leads to disheartened website owners. Ever since Matt Mullenweg created WP, I've never seen a happy user that wasn't a programmer.

        While many options exist, paid/free and open/closed, the recommendation on which to use depends entirely upon the answers to the questions above. The recommended/selected solution needs to benefit the user(s) more than it does the designer making the recommendation.

        When it comes to ecommerce, for the same reasons I stated previously, I would never recommend an open source solution.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5680018].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author neodarth
    Because gurus lives in India or the Tibet meditating and doesn't care about wordpress or internet...

    the rest of the so-call-gurus don't use wordpress because they outsource their sites to tech savy guys who thinks wordpress is lame because is too easy to use.
    Signature
    ==> Negocios Estables en la Web Internet marketing en español.

    ==> Internet Marketing Newbie Created for IM virgins
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5679912].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author tpw
      Originally Posted by neodarth View Post

      Because gurus lives in India or the Tibet meditating and doesn't care about wordpress or internet...




      :rolleyes:

      Have you noticed how many folks from India belong to the Warrior Forum?

      I'd say those guru's might be online right now.
      Signature
      Bill Platt, Oklahoma USA, PlattPublishing.com
      Publish Coloring Books for Profit (WSOTD 7-30-2015)
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5680305].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author neodarth
        Originally Posted by tpw View Post

        :rolleyes:

        Have you noticed how many folks from India belong to the Warrior Forum?

        I'd say those guru's might be online right now.
        maybe... but... I guess they like better to hang out with fakirs and budist monks in the ommmmm.com forum
        Signature
        ==> Negocios Estables en la Web Internet marketing en español.

        ==> Internet Marketing Newbie Created for IM virgins
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5680359].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Kay King
        Maybe the answer is the gooorooos don't ONLY use wordpress. That seems to be the assumption sometimes - that you use either WP or html or drupal or....

        You use what works best for the project you are doing. Sometimes it might be wordpress, sometimes not. I usually use html sites rather than wordpress - just my preference but it's good to have options.

        Many of us started working online before blogs appeared while there seems to be a large group of marketers today who started with wordpress and stayed with it exclusively. Not surprising as WP is easy to learn and inexpensive to get started. It has some great features - but for some uses it has negatives as well.

        kay
        Signature
        Saving one dog will not change the world - but the world will change forever for that one dog.

        I'm going to work on being less condescending
        (Condescending means to talk down to people)
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5680505].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author yasser
          Originally Posted by Kay King View Post

          Maybe the answer is the gooorooos don't ONLY use wordpress. That seems to be the assumption sometimes - that you use either WP or html or drupal or....

          You use what works best for the project you are doing. Sometimes it might be wordpress, sometimes not. I usually use html sites rather than wordpress - just my preference but it's good to have options.

          Many of us started working online before blogs appeared while there seems to be a large group of marketers today who started with wordpress and stayed with it exclusively. Not surprising as WP is easy to learn and inexpensive to get started. It has some great features - but for some uses it has negatives as well.

          kay
          Totally agree. I love simple Html Websites. It is all about the content at the end
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5680706].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author marciayudkin
            I was shocked to learn from a web developer how easily and how often Wordpress sites get hacked, and therefore everyone who expects to pay once for a Wordpress site and then never have to deal with a developer/programmer again is sadly deluded. This developer says that Wordpress and plugins need to be constantly updated (by a developer) in order to have a secure site.

            As said above, if you are creating a "set it and forget it" site, or if you already know html, an html site is the way to go.

            Marcia Yudkin
            Signature
            Check out Marcia Yudkin's No-Hype Marketing Academy for courses on copywriting, publicity, infomarketing, marketing plans, naming, and branding - not to mention the popular "Marketing for Introverts" course.
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5680773].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author Magento modules
              Every Guru is using a wordpress because it's easy and more powerful blogging service for SEO..
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6419620].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author Brian Tayler
              Originally Posted by marciayudkin View Post

              I was shocked to learn from a web developer how easily and how often Wordpress sites get hacked, and therefore everyone who expects to pay once for a Wordpress site and then never have to deal with a developer/programmer again is sadly deluded. This developer says that Wordpress and plugins need to be constantly updated (by a developer) in order to have a secure site.

              As said above, if you are creating a "set it and forget it" site, or if you already know html, an html site is the way to go.

              Marcia Yudkin
              True. Hiring a programmer to secure your php.ini, your apache server, your wordpress install isn't a costly endeavor... unless you don't and you find out the hard way.

              Also i'd challenge those people who say "gurus" don't use WordPress. How do you know? Do you know all their pen-names?
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6419673].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author BloggingPro
    Because they like paying for over-priced one-page sell's letter style websites?

    I probably couldn't give a better answer than that. But what I could tell you? Focusing your energy in other area's could probably bring more productive results. Just saying.
    Signature
    You're going to fail. If you're afraid of failure then you do not belong in the Internet Marketing Business. Period.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6419675].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author andybeveridge
    I use WP but don't really do the blogging anymore. I set up squeeze pages using WP and Optimize Press. I don't like the word guru but by that I guess you mean people who are successful. I know a lot of very successful marketers who do use WP and can't see a problem with it myself at least with the business model I use.
    Signature

    Become a Digi Warrior and join us in the successful Dig Warrior IM Academy
    Join us at www.digiwarrior.com

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6419720].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author forestnome
      Always get bugs with WP so have switched to Blogger but it seems that Google are not recognizing Blogger blogs as well as WP blogs?
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6420465].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Britt Malka
        Originally Posted by forestnome View Post

        Always get bugs with WP so have switched to Blogger but it seems that Google are not recognizing Blogger blogs as well as WP blogs?
        Blogger has awful SEO, unless you tweak it yourself.
        Signature
        *** Idea Factory ***
        9 Simple & Fun Ways to Come Up With Ideas for Non-Fiction Books

        >>> Click here to get immediate access <<<

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6420499].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author MONEYDON
          Originally Posted by Britt Malka View Post

          Blogger has awful SEO, unless you tweak it yourself.
          I would have to disagree with u blogger has terrible SEO. The first site i ever made was a blogger site for my local business and it ended up #1 for a very competitive niche in Charlotte NC, in the home repair market. That is how i ended doing SEO now. That site when i put it up was #1 in a matter of ten days with 4 backlinks. It is the Awesome template. I have several other sites i use for my clients with Blogger for ten bucks with the Awesome template and they all rank #1 for their respective search terms.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6454653].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author wizzard74
        Originally Posted by forestnome View Post

        Always get bugs with WP so have switched to Blogger but it seems that Google are not recognizing Blogger blogs as well as WP blogs?
        You get bugs with any platform and guess what? As soon as you try to advertise on a blogger blog, it'll get shut down.
        Signature

        You don't want to click here --> Richard Arblaster

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6479020].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author reapr
        What is wrong with WP? You must be talking to the wrong gurus. t is great for squeze pages and mini nich sites.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6484468].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Sarafantrys
    Why Gurus dont Use Wordpress?
    They do my friend, they do!!!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6419822].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Jason Johns
    I use Wordpress and I know many people do because it is easy to configure, set up and maintain. I'll use HTML for certain sites, but for most things Wordpress is perfect.

    If you have a theme like Optimizepress then you can quickly do squeeze pages / sales pages which is a big selling point for many of the less technical people due to the speed / ease of creating a good looking site.

    Sure, Wordpress has it's issues, but then so do HTML sites and it's a personal preference. I know guru's that do use Wordpress, but many of them (quite rightly) don't see the need to install / configure Wordpress for a simple sales letter or squeeze page - bit of an overkill in most cases. Instead of a 30MB install of Wordpress you can have your whole site on less than 3MB with HTML which means squeezing more into your hosting!

    Cheers

    Jason
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6419846].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author BIG Mike
    Banned
    [DELETED]
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6419908].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author yourreviewer
      Originally Posted by BIG Mike View Post

      For someone starting out wanting to put up an Adsense or Amazon type of site, WordPress is fine. Personally, I think it's high-risk in terms of security, which makes it a double-edged sword as the user probably won't know much about security in the first place.

      I suspect that most WP users have no idea how risky it is just installing a 3rd-party theme or plugin - it would be very easy to bury malicious code into them without being easily discovered.

      That said, to answer the OP's question, I would never try to build an Authority Site or other Web Application using WP as it's base. The development time/cost is significantly greater than just starting from scratch.

      I want the control of not being restricted by someone else's design or code. I also need to have total control over the evolution of the site - not reliant on a group of people deciding what's best for me or my business down the road.
      Mike,

      If someone were to build an authority site and has no HTML knowledge and is not technical what would you recommend- Dreamweaver, any other options?

      I have heard almost everyone recommend Wordpress because it is easy to set up, install and you can have your website up and running in a few minutes.

      My client has a website built on Wordpress that has over 800+ posts and I have brought this security concern, not to mention all the SEO benefits that people talk about (I will confess, I know nothing about SEO).

      And if we are to switch from Wordpress to Html and not lose those URLs (wordpress URLs come out different from HTML), how would you recommend we go about it?
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6420502].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author magiclouie
    Why Gurus don't Use Wordpress?
    To the OP, I hate to answer your question with a question but where did you get that info that lead you to come up with this question? If not many, some of the Gurus absolutely use wordpress. That said, not all of them don't use this platform.

    In fact, I have seen a number of their squeeze pages which are built from wordpress.

    One of my admired Warriors here is Istvan Horvath (I consider him as a guru) and he does use Wordpress.

    Cheers,
    Louie Tugas
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6420025].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Wide
    WordPress is easy to use and comes with a billion plugins.
    And it's quite easy to create a template matching your needs.

    That being said, some type of websites are not suited for WordPress.
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6420208].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author alexgold87
    The main reason that they use WP is a security issue. If you develop your own website from scratch you will get more control. If you are guru you have money that you can spend on website development.

    Personally for me if a marketer have his own website (not WP) it makes me "trust feeling" person. OK, it's like when a serious company "BigCompany" has email on GMail (bigcompany@gmail.com). At least you will be confused. I will.

    The same with WP. You can say that it's easy to run and update. Yes. If you have money you can buy a commercial CMS or develop your own. It will show your status. It's like you are telling "I have a lot of money" and you drive Opel car. "Are you serious?"

    I am not a guru and making lots of money, but always find a way to develop my own website or to use some commercial CMS.

    Peace.
    Signature
    Pinghall - Real-Time Website Monitor.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6420219].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Wide
      Originally Posted by alexgold87 View Post

      The main reason that they use WP is a security issue. If you develop your own website from scratch you will get more control. If you are guru you have money that you can spend on website development.

      Personally for me if a marketer have his own website (not WP) it makes me "trust feeling" person. OK, it's like when a serious company "BigCompany" has email on GMail (bigcompany@gmail.com). At least you will be confused. I will.

      The same with WP. You can say that it's easy to run and update. Yes. If you have money you can buy a commercial CMS or develop your own. It will show your status. It's like you are telling "I have a lot of money" and you drive Opel car. "Are you serious?"

      I am not a guru and making lots of money, but always find a way to develop my own website or to use some commercial CMS.

      Peace.
      I disagree.

      You can use WordPress and still look very professional, it all depends on the template.

      Example:
      Shimano Calcutta TE DC - itemDB

      Can you see that is running on WordPress? I sure can't.

      The template means everything.
      Signature
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6420265].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author john-7665
    Wordpress is the Guru of Gurus.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6420229].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Sillysoft
    I hate wordpress and only use it when required, mainly my job requires me to support it. When you have an open source product where things like plugins can be created by anyone without any quality control, well your just asking for trouble. Any hack at php can create a plugin that is useful but because they dont know any better, create bloated code, badly constructed database queries and open doors for hacks.

    Just the basic installation can run slow, sure you can use caching but if you need to cache just for the basic install of wordpress then there is something wrong. Obviously the good side is, its just easy to setup and change site layout and add features via plugins.
    Signature
    No more...
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6420295].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author alexgold87
    2Wide: Nowadays is more important to have a secure website than cool template. You can buy any template, but if you got a hole in backend of your website - your business can ruin. At least closed commercial CMS like Magento and many more have nice templates and you can be sure that you've got secure platform.

    If it's not clear read BIG Mike's post
    Signature
    Pinghall - Real-Time Website Monitor.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6420313].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author quercus5
    I have seen plenty of "gurus" who still use wordpress. It's so easy to quickly put up a blog and manage it. However, that being said many gurus are also able to afford larger HTML based websites that have more functionality and look better.
    Signature

    FREE WSO Ebook: Offline Marketing Vault ($17 Value): Download Here

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6420417].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author hebsgaard
    The main advantage of Wordpress is that it's free. If you don't have technical skills you will eventually run into problems you can't fix on your own. Sometimes your host will provide support, but there is a good chance you will eventually run into problems you can't solve, even with support from your web host. At this point you basically have 2 choices.

    1. Scrap the site and start over.
    2. Hire a software developer and spend a fortune.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6420433].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Rudy Christoph
      Originally Posted by hebsgaard View Post

      The main advantage of Wordpress is that it's free. If you don't have technical skills you will eventually run into problems you can't fix on your own. Sometimes your host will provide support, but there is a good chance you will eventually run into problems you can't solve, even with support from your web host. At this point you basically have 2 choices.

      1. Scrap the site and start over.
      2. Hire a software developer and spend a fortune.
      There are loads of people that offer help for free too, so dependent on the issue you have you not necessarily have to fork out. Making a regular backup will give you a "go back in time" point where you can start rebuilding and that is also free.

      Just my $0.02 for today
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6479515].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Vtoy
      Banned
      A guru is a term JV partners pass around to create an illusion that there are million dollar systems and one click push button softwares that actually work.. theres no such thing as a guru, only people that make money online like me and you.

      Such a ridiculous term imo
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6480791].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Britt Malka
    All my first sites were made in hard core HTML with CSS. Later on, I started to use PHP. (I can handle basic PHP.)

    I still have a couple of sites left of that type, but all my new sites are set up with WordPress. Not because it's free, because my own HTML/CSS/PHP is also free. Partly because it easy, but also because of security and hacking issues.

    If you make your site yourself, or hire a programmer, it can get hacked. And then you have to figure out how somebody got access to your site, and how to repair the script. Huge head-ache.

    If you use WordPress on your site, it can get hacked. But then, many other equal sites get hacked, and the WordPress people come up with a solution. You update, and you're good.

    Keeping your WordPress installation updated all the time is the best way to avoid getting hacked through that window. Script kiddies often exploit old security holes.
    Signature
    *** Idea Factory ***
    9 Simple & Fun Ways to Come Up With Ideas for Non-Fiction Books

    >>> Click here to get immediate access <<<

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6420496].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Jbarros
    I see many guys, who have a lot of success in marketing using wordpress. However, sure if you have a good knowlege of html then it's simply better to write your own code and personalize your website to your own taste.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6420590].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Sillysoft
    I see a lot of misunderstandings here, people keep saying either go with WP or html. WP is a platform that dynamically builds html, but its still html. Same with any other CMS.
    Signature
    No more...
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6420660].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author petelta
    Guru's are definitely use Wordpress... but like it's been said above, it's not the only thing they use.

    They have web designers to do that work. These web designers usually have quite a bit of training in things other than Wordpress. Most web designers I know that go to school for training rarely learn about Wordpress in classes. So, a hired web designers tactics are usually going to have them use something other than WordPress... they can just code it from hand.
    Signature
    TEESPRING Student Rakes In Over $116k In Less Than 3 Months
    Niche Pro Profits - How I raked in OVER $120k in 9 months with authority niche sites...

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6420702].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Lurchy
    For client sites, wordpress is by far the easiest for them to learn
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6420730].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author iknowvations
    I think there is nothing wrong with wordpress. It has got all the basic requirements and it depends upon us how to use it to our advantage whether we are gurus or not.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6420754].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author mlord10
    Many internet marketing "gurus" use Wordpress...in fact, I know one of the premiere themes for building squeeze pages, sales pages, creating perpetual launch systems, etc. is OptimizePress which is built for the WP platform.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6454796].message }}
  • Hi there

    Hey we use WP for the site we develop and give all details to client also. Regarding guru they might want to us more features that WP might not support.

    Thanks
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6474975].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author iknowhow
    I disagree with that. Many do use WP and it's a great CMS.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6475972].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author 4webmaster
    That's not true. Like everything, it's mixed some have WP sites for it's blog and some PHP or HTML for a squeeze page because they don't need WP in order to sell online and have more customization possibilities over a WP theme.

    Nowdays even if some says WP is hackable, updates, backup plugins and software are here to solve that. So this is now a myth to say that the security is the reason why they don't use WP.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6478338].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author EndTheTrendNow
    There is a lot of misconception going on in this forum with respect to wordpress.

    Wordpress is a content management system written in Php with a Mysql database. Wordpress is totally customizable if you know how to write code. What makes it extremely useful are all the plugins that have been written and the templates that have been built.

    If you know what you are doing you can create as many templates or skins as you want. Thankfully most of the hard work has already been done by someone in the form of Templates.

    Wordpress SEO plugins (Yoast) IMO are the best out there right now based on adhering to best practices for Google's search engine algorithms.

    With Blogger you don't have the kind of control that you do with Wordpress and you certainly don't have the vast amounts of plugins that Wordpress offers. I have a few blogs on blogger that have loads of traffic, but I can not control the page flow as well.

    Blogger does have one main advantage over wordpress. It is much easier to link other blogger blogs to a blogger site than to a wordpress site. The linking in turn helps generate traffic.
    Signature

    Carpe Diem EndTheTrendNow.com
    Check out SEOBloggerBook for SEO tips.
    Check out AntiqueOutings.com for Antique Tips
    Check out MiniatureReview.blogspot.com for Gaming with miniatures.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6478567].message }}
  • Many times Wordpress is not necessary. For example, if you just want a squeeze page or sales page, you can use a standard single HTML page. I only use Wordpress when I actually need to manage multiple content pages interlinked with each other.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6478626].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author larry1113
    Originally Posted by Serenity090 View Post

    A Simple Question:

    Why?
    Many gurus use Wordpress. They just have it customized. They use a theme like Thesis and then have it customized.

    I don't think there's anything wrong with Wordpress. It's a great platform. Take a look at the site pitchanything.com

    That's a Wordpress framework but it looks great.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6479007].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Luffy
    they focus to brand their name... make some credibility
    it's fast ways to get more rich tough
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6479472].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Techology
      Originally Posted by Luffy View Post

      they focus to brand their name... make some credibility
      it's fast ways to get more rich tough
      Luffy, spot on Wish I'd read that before jumping in. There's probably a Promote PCI fiverr gig going on right now LOL.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6479486].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Allan Caravello
    I just started with a wordpress site and I am very satisfied. Very user friendly!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6479531].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Tyler Ambrosius
    They do! I'll be willing to bet that you have bought access to plenty of membership sites that where built with wordpress.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6479641].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author DubDubDubDot
    "Gurus" don't use WordPress because it's a joke. It's a system now being used for something far beyond it was designed for (a simple blogging platform). It's a crutch the non technically inclined lean on. Prior to WordPress these types used WYSIWYG (what you see is what you get) editors.

    The bottom line is that no self respecting website uses WordPress unless it has been so heavily customized that it really isn't even WordPress anymore. Literally 99% of all WordPress sites downright suck. It's the platform of talentless developers. Google penalizes WordPress sites because of this. You can get around the penalty by increasing your trust rank, but it really isn't even a position you should want to be in at all.

    Another problem with WP is that everyone uses templates. Why the heck would you even think about doing this? You are then having to build your online business around the template rather than what you want to do.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6480058].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author JohnnyDeez
    Are these guys gurus?
    Brian Clark - CopyBlogger
    Daren Rowse - ProBlogger

    ...WordPress
    Signature

    Software Development Tips for Internet Entrepreneurs: What The Dev

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6480476].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author EndTheTrendNow
    Johnny Deez Great links. I will have to check those out.
    Signature

    Carpe Diem EndTheTrendNow.com
    Check out SEOBloggerBook for SEO tips.
    Check out AntiqueOutings.com for Antique Tips
    Check out MiniatureReview.blogspot.com for Gaming with miniatures.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6480559].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author samkap
    once you let go of all the details and tech stuff is the second you make money online. Who cares what you use. people are people. Market to them
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6480736].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Deepak Media
    Because they are not focused in building blogs. They get traffic from JVs and paid ads and they focus on the sales copy and the funnel.

    Yes, they can leverage some free traffic from a blog (mostly WP) but they are not.

    If you define guru as an IM veteran then there are a lot of gurus using WP to have a high traffic, well optimized and well followed blog.
    Signature
    Digital Marketing Author | Speaker | Consultant

    Read my Blog: DigitalDeepak.com

    @ Bangalore, India.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6481049].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author alexgold87
    Since new WordPress 3.4 version there are more than 50 new API's. It means that from 3.4 WordPress is more focused on creating websites instead of blogs. There is still a blog-roll but new API features will help me to do what I want to do.

    It still hard to develop an app with WP. My choice is CodeIgniter framework. WP is good for simple blog/website/membership.

    Gurus don't use WordPress in ORIGINAL package, but they convert them to what they want to get.
    Signature
    Pinghall - Real-Time Website Monitor.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6481341].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Mousumi
    I read several posts in the thread. I agree that all CMSs have some advantage and some disadvantages. I have two questions I hope I am answered:

    1. Why Mashable still uses WordPress (I don't think they have complained about security) and they are doing fine.
    2. What is the best CMS for a blog/eMagazine if not WordPress, Joomla and Drupal?

    3. WordPress has pluggins that enable you to create a mobile version of your website. Has anybody experience using WP's mobile version?

    Thanks!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6483734].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author TomYevsikov
    hey, there is not a single relation between the term "guru's" to their choice of using wordpress or not using it.

    "guru's" choose whats best for their business.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6483755].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author karlmay1980
    I could name several high value Online Marketers that use WordPress, in fact probably 9 out of 10 that I follow do, even for squeeze pages, it depends what you define as "Guru" but several million pounds a year makes you pretty good to me!
    Signature
    Want To Make Your First £10,000 Online?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6483761].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author jasonchanning
    Nothing wrong with wordpress. I think it's totally fine and easy to use. Joomla would be also cool alternative, but they make everything in HTML which I think is pretty cool because the website get's indexed. Easier.
    Signature
    http://www.jasonchanningpicks.com Stocks trading the only way to make massive gains.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6483800].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author yukon
    Banned
    Why would you even care what anyone else runs on their sites?

    If Joe Blow earns $1 not running Wordpress, does that put money in your own pocket (doubtful)?
    Signature
    Hi
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6484524].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author manicmethods
    I HATE this term Gurus. Not to disrespect anyone regarded as being a Guru, but I feel the Gurus are not necessarily the most successful nor most knowledgable IMers.

    Instead, they are the IMers who are the best at marketing themselves.

    I cannot (and wouldn't anyways) mention names, but I know a couple of people in the IM world who are making a lot, we're talking 7 figures a year and I guarantee that 99% of the WF members won't have heard of them...

    These are the gurus in my mind.

    The gurus that you're referring to are the gurus who make so much money because people buy BS from them because they're gurus and then the circle continually grows...

    (Don't shoot me for say that)
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6484541].message }}

Trending Topics