New Guru Marketing Ploy Be on the LOOK OUT

by nicholasb 26 replies
The first time I heard this one I fell for it, but it seems to be happening to everyone, so what is it?

technical issues on a conference call, First time I heard this one I thought oh damn that sucks, and I even felt kinda bad for the guy.

So within that same week 4 others have had the same problem coincidence???????? I doubt it

What seminar do all of these big name gurus go to learn all of the same stuff, well I can draw one conclusion the big names learn something new and put it to use right away.

Which is a major factor of success by the way.

What do you think some of the benefits are of running this type of marketing tactic..
#main internet marketing discussion forum #marketing #ploy
Avatar of Unregistered
  • Profile picture of the author John Taylor
    And how do these "gurus" benefit from having
    technical issues?

    In my world technical issues are not an unusual
    occurence, my kettle sprang a leak the other day
    and I was considering a firesale to raise funds to
    buy a new one.

    John
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[509856].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author jasondinner
    i'm gonna test this new "tactic" out and post my results here.

    ...

    I'm talking about the leaking kettle, of course!!!
    Signature

    "Human thoughts have the tendency to transform themselves into their physical equivalent." Earl Nightingale

    Super Affiliates Hang Out Here

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[510253].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Buddd
    Well actually John, with all respect, there may be some type of tactic being tried and tested.

    A while ago I was listening to a call that had "technical difficulty". The information was, in my
    opinion, very good. The problem was, I didn't get the whole story, the big picture if you will.

    Human nature, being what it is naturally kicks in. There is a desire not to be left out, a desire
    to get the rest of the details, so that I'm not missing anything. The human mind likes a whole
    complete picture, it dislikes an incomplete one. Curiosity and possibly missing some valuable
    info can be a powerful draw.

    Liken it to having just watched an excellent movie and the the power goes out the last 10
    minutes.

    It would be interesting, if it was possible, to compare opt in rates on calls and webinars that
    had technical problems.

    And by the way, that is one of the reasons I signed up for your "Marketing Confidential",
    excellent information, but incomplete, I had to know the rest of the story.

    Bud
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[510301].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author nick1123
      Originally Posted by Buddd View Post

      Well actually John, with all respect, there may be some type of tactic being tried and tested.

      A while ago I was listening to a call that had "technical difficulty". The information was, in my
      opinion, very good. The problem was, I didn't get the whole story, the big picture if you will.

      Human nature, being what it is naturally kicks in. There is a desire not to be left out, a desire
      to get the rest of the details, so that I'm not missing anything. The human mind likes a whole
      complete picture, it dislikes an incomplete one. Curiosity and possibly missing some valuable
      info can be a powerful draw.

      Liken it to having just watched an excellent movie and the the power goes out the last 10
      minutes.

      It would be interesting, if it was possible, to compare opt in rates on calls and webinars that
      had technical problems.

      And by the way, that is one of the reasons I signed up for your "Marketing Confidential",
      excellent information, but incomplete, I had to know the rest of the story.

      Bud


      This is an excellent point. If only there was a way to tell which actually tell which are telling the truth.
      Signature

      Email me with your traffic questions: NicksTrafficTricks [at] gmail.com

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[510328].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author MikeAmbrosio
    I always enjoy these conspiracy threads

    I did a teleseminar about a year ago - a good one with John Hostler. After it was over we realized the recording did not come out.

    So, we held a second one.

    We got less than half of the responses/attendees as the first one.

    What does that mean? Well, to me, it means doing somthing like this on purpose would NOT achieve better results.

    Have any of you here thinking this is done on purpose ever even held a teleseminar or webinar? Especially on the scale the "guru's" do (meaning several hundred attendees and up)?

    Technical problems happen.

    As far as the server crash launches? I have been in on several BIG launches where the server actually DOES crash. When it happens, trust me - no one is running around cheering, saying "Yeah! We get to email again!"

    Server crashes and teleseminar glitches COST MONEY AND SALES.

    When you have your first major launch and crash your server, let the rest of us know how your second email fares...

    I think as marketers and "wannabe" marketers, we way over think things and read too much into peoples motivations. You'd serve your business better looking into your customers motivations - figuring what they want and give/sell it to them.

    Mike
    Signature

    Are you protecting your on line business? If you have a website, blog, ecommerce store you NEED to back it up regularly. Your webhost will only protect you so much. Check out Quirkel. Protect yourself.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[510346].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author jasondinner
      Originally Posted by MikeAmbrosio View Post

      I always enjoy these conspiracy threads

      I did a teleseminar about a year ago - a good one with John Hostler. After it was over we realized the recording did not come out.

      So, we held a second one.

      We got less than half of the responses/attendees as the first one.

      What does that mean? Well, to me, it means doing somthing like this on purpose would NOT achieve better results.

      Have any of you here thinking this is done on purpose ever even held a teleseminar or webinar? Especially on the scale the "guru's" do (meaning several hundred attendees and up)?

      Technical problems happen.

      As far as the server crash launches? I have been in on several BIG launches where the server actually DOES crash. When it happens, trust me - no one is running around cheering, saying "Yeah! We get to email again!"

      Server crashes and teleseminar glitches COST MONEY AND SALES.

      When you have your first major launch and crash your server, let the rest of us know how your second email fares...

      I think as marketers and "wannabe" marketers, we way over think things and read too much into peoples motivations. You'd serve your business better looking into your customers motivations - figuring what they want and give/sell it to them.

      Mike
      Oh Ambrosio, always apologizing for the Guru's and their "antics" HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAAAA
      Signature

      "Human thoughts have the tendency to transform themselves into their physical equivalent." Earl Nightingale

      Super Affiliates Hang Out Here

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[510406].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author MikeAmbrosio
        Originally Posted by jasondinner View Post

        Oh Ambrosio, always apologizing for the Guru's and their "antics" HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAAAA

        HAHAHAHAHA!

        Oh Dinner - go have (or BE) an Oreo

        HAHAHAHA!
        Signature

        Are you protecting your on line business? If you have a website, blog, ecommerce store you NEED to back it up regularly. Your webhost will only protect you so much. Check out Quirkel. Protect yourself.

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[510432].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Buddd
    Hi Mike,

    Mike, I'm hardly suggesting that there is some type of conspiracy happening. I am saying
    that there is always some type of result to any given situation. Whether "technical difficulties"
    are accidental or on purpose, I do not know.

    What I do know is that things like OTO's, limited number of copies, on sale today only, and
    it's all over, it's your last chance to get this by February 24th, all work!

    Why, because they can produce a result. As I said before, people hate to feel or think that
    they are missing out on something they think is valuable.

    As to your last comment, "You'd serve your business better looking into your customers motivations - figuring what they want and give/sell it to them." By using OTO's, deadlines,
    etc, who is best served by these tactics, you or your customers?

    Bud
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[510442].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author MikeAmbrosio
      Originally Posted by Buddd View Post

      Hi Mike,

      Mike, I'm hardly suggesting that there is some type of conspiracy happening. I am saying
      that there is always some type of result to any given situation. Whether "technical difficulties"
      are accidental or on purpose, I do not know.

      What I do know is that things like OTO's, limited number of copies, on sale today only, and
      it's all over, it's your last chance to get this by February 24th, all work!

      Why, because they can produce a result. As I said before, people hate to feel or think that
      they are missing out on something they think is valuable.

      As to your last comment, "You'd serve your business better looking into your customers motivations - figuring what they want and give/sell it to them." By using OTO's, deadlines,
      etc, who is best served by these tactics, you or your customers?

      Bud
      Hi Bud,

      I hear you. I have been around here a while and threads like these crop up a lot. The OP was regarding a botched teleseminar as some new ploy or tactic. I was really responding about that type of mindset.

      As to your last question, if what you are providing to your customer is of value and can help them, then I would say you're helping them AND yourself.

      I see no reason to apologize (not you or me in particular - marketers in general) for trying to make money. That's ULTIMATELY why most people get into business. Those other things you mentioned are tried-and-tested marketing tactics that are used everywhere. Ever watch infomercials? I even see "Limited Supplies/Time/etc." in newspaper and magazine ads.

      Again - if what you are supplying is good, solid products, then market them. Use proven tactics to increase your sales. Regardless of what some people will try to say, there's nothing "unethical" or even unusual about using scarcity tactics. Been around for centuries.

      Mike
      Signature

      Are you protecting your on line business? If you have a website, blog, ecommerce store you NEED to back it up regularly. Your webhost will only protect you so much. Check out Quirkel. Protect yourself.

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[510485].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author queenofdreamers
    LOL! Ok. I confess. I came here as a result of one of those "water firesales." While on a "blackhat" webinar this week someone from here kept spamming the live chat line going on at the same time, saying that the same info could be found free at the warriorsforum. That is how I found this land of knowledge. Thanks. I am thinking I will now cancel my subscriptions with them as they do offer a one year return policy... I was preparing to do the apprenticeship program also. Not anymore!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[510491].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Tina Golden
      [DELETED]
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[510564].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author MikeAmbrosio
        Originally Posted by TMG Enterprises View Post

        Mike and Jason,

        Have you ever thought that you might both be right? I believe that there are technical issues, server crashes, forgot to put the link in the email...all these problems that we hear about. The thing is that it happens to one or two big name marketers and then the next tier marketers think it must be a new tactic and then a bunch of them start doing the same only faking it.

        Just a theory but it certainly seems to be born out in what I see in my email box every day.

        Tina G
        Which is actually the reason I make posts like this - to help prevent the "next tier marketers" from thinking this is some sort of tactic and then doing it on purpose.

        Bottom line, if there are big name marketers who do this stuff on purpose, I would love to know why. It's more embarassing than anything. I fail to see where it would improve the bottom line - or their reputation.

        I have sent out incorrect links in an email or two over the years. I can tell you it WAS embarassing getting emails from my subscribers pointing it out to me, then having to send another email. I saw no increase in sales. If I want to email more than once regarding a product, I send out a second, different email.

        And Jason (Dinner) - you're not as funny as you think
        Signature

        Are you protecting your on line business? If you have a website, blog, ecommerce store you NEED to back it up regularly. Your webhost will only protect you so much. Check out Quirkel. Protect yourself.

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[510707].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Tina Golden
          [DELETED]
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[510729].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author MikeAmbrosio
            Originally Posted by TMG Enterprises View Post

            Jason - didn't realize there was an inside joke and I'm definitely staying out of that one...lol.

            Mike in response to:
            It would be nice if it worked to prevent it from happening and maybe you'll make a couple think. Most of the ones that I'm thinking of won't listen to your advice though. They are too busy copying to come up with anything original.

            Tina G
            LOL - yeah, probably. But if I do help one or two, it's worth it.

            Signature

            Are you protecting your on line business? If you have a website, blog, ecommerce store you NEED to back it up regularly. Your webhost will only protect you so much. Check out Quirkel. Protect yourself.

            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[510779].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Buddd
    Hi Mike,

    I agree with you totally and no offence was intended.

    I was simply pointing out that tactics produce an effect that leads to some type of result.
    Marketers are always pushing the envelope as evidenced by another thread regarding an email campaign with a unsavory headline. I bet he's figured out by now that that was a bad tactic.

    Good, solid products and proven ethical tactics do produce excellent results. I am all in favor of using them.

    Bud
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[510571].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author jasondinner
    Tina,

    Don't drag me into this - i was just making fun of Ambrosio as an inside joke
    Signature

    "Human thoughts have the tendency to transform themselves into their physical equivalent." Earl Nightingale

    Super Affiliates Hang Out Here

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[510576].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author MemberWing
    Lol, I noticed growing flood of "sincere apologies" from marketers.

    Guess next iteration would be "sorry but my bank account was overflooded with cash and crashed, please repeat buying my product..."
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[510609].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Jason Moffatt
    I heard if you remove ALL of your order buttons that you can get more sales too!

    What a nifty trick!
    Signature
    FREE 7-Day Video Training On How To Get People To Know, Like, Trust & Buy From You - http://www.nichefamous.com/
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[510705].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Floyd Fisher
      Originally Posted by Jason Moffatt View Post

      I heard if you remove ALL of your order buttons that you can get more sales too!

      What a nifty trick!
      Bet if I nuke my website off the planet, I'll make more sales than you do. :p
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[510816].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Fermin Suero
    You always know when there has been a seminar where all the top gurus have attended. They all come back and implement what they learned.

    Like when everybody started to give away their best physical product for free and then they would do forced continuity for a newsletter.

    I'm not saying that it's a bad thing, but it doesn't always make them out to be the leaders we though they were.

    Just my opinion.

    PS - for a while there I was getting a lot of emails from guru's with "bad news" in the subject line, and then there wasn't really any "real" bad news. The bad news was that you would miss out if you didn't check out their offer soon. It may go away or something like that. lol.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[510872].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Josh Anderson
    Technical issues on a teleconference line are very common.

    To suspect anything of it is silly.

    However, I received an email with a subject line claiming that someone was in the hospital naming them by name only to find the content of the email was "sorry no body is in the hospital I just wanted you to open my email and check out this promotion" and this headline was used by a well known marketer.

    Now that is tacky and deceptive.
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[511171].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author peteradt
      Originally Posted by Josh Anderson View Post

      Technical issues on a teleconference line are very common.

      To suspect anything of it is silly.

      However, I received an email with a subject line claiming that someone was in the hospital naming them by name only to find the content of the email was "sorry no body is in the hospital I just wanted you to open my email and check out this promotion" and this headline was used by a well known marketer.

      Now that is tacky and deceptive.
      Oohh I remember that email, it was classic. At first I was like all feeling
      sorry for...(well can't say his name here) but when I started to get into
      the meat of it, I just laughed.

      I actually did end up listening to the teleseminar, great content shared
      so all in all, not sure I agree with the tactic, but it got me to the event ;-)

      Go figure

      To your continued online success,

      Peter
      Signature

      I'm just an entrepreneur who's trained thousands of students, worked with hundreds of clients to produce 6 and 7 figure incomes, a world traveler who's been to 4 continents, 102 countries, and 71 cities. Oh and here's one of my websites where I stood on stage and showed hundreds of entrepreneurs and business owners who paid $3K each how to generate a six figure income. http://internetmarketing-alchemy.com

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[512314].message }}
Avatar of Unregistered

Trending Topics