When is a "Newbie" Not a "Newbie" Anymore?

31 replies
Hello All....

Just sitting here drinking my coffee this morning, and I started thinking about the term "newbie." It is used in a variety of different industries, but none so much as the world of internet marketing.

What is a newbie anyway? Does it have to do with time involved or the experience of results?


Say someone has been a Warrior for 5 years. They participate in and start a lot of intelligent posts regarding internet marketing. They are experts on a variety of IM related subjects. But they have never made a single penny online because they have never taken any action?

Is that person considered a newbie?

What about the Warrior that has only been into internet marketing for a month, but in that month he has taken massive action that has resulted in a chunk of short-term income and the high probability of long-term success.

Is that person considered a newbie?

And what about the typical Warrior, who has done a lot of participation on the forum, and has tried different techniques sporadically throughout the years, but never having any sort of lasting success. Although he has made money here and there.

Is that person considered a newbie?


It seems obvious to spot someone who ISN'T a newbie. Someone making a full-time living using internet marketing methods can't be called a newbie. They have figured out how to pick through all of the information online, find the most effective and powerful strategies, and take sufficient and consistent action to grow a business.

But even those people, in the beginning, were newbies too.


What do you think a newbie is?


JoeMack
#anymore #newbie
  • Profile picture of the author mgreener
    Hi Joe,

    I would consider a newbie as someone who is just starting something new to them. They could be successful in other areas, for example, PPC and now trying their hand at SEO, which is new to them. I think it refers to lacking in knowledge and experience in the topic at hand.

    Everyone's a newbie at something!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5750125].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author fin
      I'd say anyone not yet making a full-time wage each month is still a newbie.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5750196].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author HansM
        Originally Posted by fin View Post

        I'd say anyone not yet making a full-time wage each month is still a newbie.
        That sounds like everyone who is not a professional is a newbie?

        Back to the OP... In warriorland you can even be experienced at blogging or article marketing or product creation, but still a newbie at e.g. CPA... Or an experienced affiliate marketer, but a newbie at product creation. (Even if you already make a full-time wage off affiliate marketing).
        Signature

        The Online Business Architect

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5750344].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author fin
          Originally Posted by HansM View Post

          That sounds like everyone who is not a professional is a newbie?
          I wouldn't say so.

          If you can't make enough money to survive if push comes to shove, I don't think you can call yourself anything else.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5750564].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Penny Heun
    Banned
    [DELETED]
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5750202].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Dann Vicker
    When you stop following every shiny new thing others say works, you stop being a newbie.

    When everybody starts following what you say works, you start becoming a guru.
    Signature

    Looking for high quality solo ad traffic? 200-2000 clicks available/day. Testimonials here. PM me

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5750228].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author TopKat22
    To me, a newbie can be broken down into parts. I may be making what most would consider a full time income but in some areas, I still feel like a newbie just because I'm not as comfortable yet in those areas.

    I think when the person feels like they know enough about the subject, they will determine if they are a newbie anymore or not.
    Signature
    44 days in and we broke the $10K a month recurring bench mark.

    Guaranteed 60% Opt In Rate Traffic-Real People-Fresh Today-High Quality Biz Opp traffic![/URL]
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5750266].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author larry65
      Originally Posted by TopKat22 View Post

      To me, a newbie can be broken down into parts. I may be making what most would consider a full time income but in some areas, I still feel like a newbie just because I'm not as comfortable yet in those areas.

      I think when the person feels like they know enough about the subject, they will determine if they are a newbie anymore or not.
      I would agree with TopKat and a few others who said something along the same lines. Yes, a person just starting out is a newbie and even when someone is making a "full-time" income, which can only be determined by the person making the money, they will still be a newbie when they step into another area of Internet Marketing.

      My contribution would be said this way though, when I start to understand things like, "wow, I have 2 here and 2 over here" and then move on to realizing, "oh, I can put two and two together and get 4." Then I am beginning to move in a direction where I am not as much of a newbie as when I just knew I had a couple numbers I could do something with.

      Hope that makes sense, it did in my head lol. Have a great day everyone and for those that feel they are "newbs," remember what someone said above, that we are all "newbies" when we start out.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5752993].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Rally Writer
    I think it depends on each individual IM knowledge and goal settings.
    Even if someone who is a part timer IMer, may not necessary be a newbie once he has achieved...say 5K/month.

    But when I have all the pieces together, I should make at least 10K/month, I will not consider myself as a newbie anymore.

    Shahril
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5750407].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author markhimeb
    once a newbie always a newbie
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5750652].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author wizzard74
    When I say so :p
    Signature

    You don't want to click here --> Richard Arblaster

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5750733].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author clever7
    You are a newbie when you believe that you can make money online, even though you are not making a cent.

    You stop being a newbie when you understand that it’s hard to make money online, and you make some money.

    You become an expert when you learn the game and you make a good amount of money per month.




    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5750770].message }}
    • I'd say it is related to their knowledge level of exactly what they are trying to do.
      For example, I focus on SEO, so am not a newbie in that category, but I am still very new to CPA marketing as this is one of my goals to expand on in 2012.

      It's all relative your what you know.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5750844].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Paul Gram
        Originally Posted by TBInternetMarketing View Post

        I'd say it is related to their knowledge level of exactly what they are trying to do.
        For example, I focus on SEO, so am not a newbie in that category, but I am still very new to CPA marketing as this is one of my goals to expand on in 2012.

        It's all relative your what you know.
        I would disagree with you on this one. It's not about their knowledge, it's about whether they have used their knowledge.

        For example, you could have a College Professor who has taught business for 30 years and knows everything under the sun about how to start and run a business but has never made a penny from running a business himself. I would consider him a total newbie to actually running a business, making payroll, etc. Knowledge and experience are two very different things.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5752836].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author nrmillions
    I would say you are a newbie until you make a profit for the first time. You dont have to be professional full-time or make a fortune to not be a newbie anymore. There can be inbetween steps from newbie to expert. If you make $500k a year you are probably an expert but if you make $10k per year you might not be an expert but you arent a newbie either.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5752001].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author gvsridhar171
      Newbie is really confusing when it is talked about in WF. Even an experienced IM in WF is considered newbie when he has less posts.

      But the real meaning of newbie is the one who is into IM for the first time and is yet to see any income.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5752741].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Troy_Phillips
        An internet marketer shouldn't be thrown into such a tight mold.

        There are several businesses models that doesn't consist of affiliate marketing, cpa, email marketing or anything other than branding. More money can be made by those who never promote a payment button than those who do.



        Originally Posted by gvsridhar171 View Post

        Newbie is really confusing when it is talked about in WF. Even an experienced IM in WF is considered newbie when he has less posts.

        But the real meaning of newbie is the one who is into IM for the first time and is yet to see any income.
        Signature

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5752773].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Arroway
    I don't think there is a clear way to differentiate this. When do grains of sand become a pile, at what number?
    You can lurk and read for 2 years and not make any money. You're then not a newbie anymore, just unsuccessful. And you can make 4 figures by next month but still be a newbie. New or not doesn't necessarily say something about success or knowledge. If you study something hard for a month, you can become very knowledgeable.

    Bottom line, I judge it considering a mixture of results, time, knowledge and my own feeling.

    Allen
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5752252].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author ShaneGorry
      There is a vast amount of difference between a person who is completely new to Internet Marketing and one who is simply entering a new niche. Comparing people who have no idea what they are doing with people who have a whole lot of experience and success is just silly or worse. There are a whole lot of fundamentals to marketing and online business that remain the same across a range of situations and niches even if there is niche specific knowledge that one must learn to succeed in a new niche.

      I remember in my days of SOS, a few years ago seeing a sales page where a "complete newbie" had made x amount of dollars in x amount of time, however it was revealed after purchasing that this was in fact a million who had simple entered a new sub-niche and done very well. They hadn't started from scratch. They actually had years of underpinning knowledge and a big budget to test market with as well. This my friends is not a newbie, period.

      I guess there is a lot of reasons people call themselves a newbie when they are not however I recommend against it. I makes you come across as a scammer even if that 's not what you are. If you really want to relate to newbies talk about when you were a newbie, don't try and act like you are still one.


      Regarding those who has spent years unsuccessfully dabbling in and/or being a customer of Internet Marketing products, memberships or other such things such as being a member of this forum. These people are not newbies. Nor could they be called Internet Marketers with any seriousness. There is probably a term for such people since there seems to be so many of them around but I haven't seen one in popular use thus far. In many cases the term "jaded" would seem appropriate.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5752920].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Ben Gordon
    Newbie: "a newcomer or novice, especially an inexperienced user of the Internet or of computers in general." I think this explains it all. A newbie is somebody that is doing something new, that they lack knowledge of, and therefore not experts in that area of marketing.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5752340].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author paul_1
    You shouldnt be a newbie anymore after 7 months... In 7 mos you should already have enough knowledge of the IM game... But if you are still not earning significantly in 7 mos, then you are an experienced IMer who is still trying to win...
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5752498].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Gaston Wolf
    Always a newbie, still loads to learn
    Signature

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5752506].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Thrasher66099
    The martial arts master does not get his abilities from his black belt. Titles are irrelevant. Only results matter. WIIFM what's in it for me. People care wether you can get them an effective solution, not how long you've been giving solutions.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5752584].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author trilogy9013
    I think the term "newbie" just refers to people who are fairly new or lack knowledge in a certain area of IM (ppc, seo, etc.). I would say that you are no longer a newbie when you understand the ins and outs of a category and could teach someone how to perform in that category. People with this level of knowledge (assuming they are implementing) are probably also making money in IM.
    Signature
    Keyword Research - For Dummies - Check This Out


    FREE 5 Step Guide to Post Panda SEO Click Here
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5752660].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Troy_Phillips
    Newbie .. a state of mind :-)
    Signature

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5752675].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author bighostchennai
    Think, somebody read, but not learnt, loads of posting and articles, not framed out a action plan nor structured a inference form what ever he or she crammed, what we can call him.. newbie or unsuccessful marketeer...?
    A person learns certain aspect in industry..knows what to do to get some success, as defined by him and, he does it repeatedly and gained success.. I think that person elevated form a status a newbie.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5752736].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Paul Gram
    Absolutely that person is a newbie. For me, I consider someone not a newbie as someone who has made some decent money online. You could have people on this (or any) forum with 10,000 posts but having not made any money themselves and therefore are still newbies.

    Originally Posted by JoeMack View Post

    Hello All....

    What is a newbie anyway? Does it have to do with time involved or the experience of results?


    Say someone has been a Warrior for 5 years. They participate in and start a lot of intelligent posts regarding internet marketing. They are experts on a variety of IM related subjects. But they have never made a single penny online because they have never taken any action?

    Is that person considered a newbie?

    What do you think a newbie is?


    JoeMack
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5752830].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author nickdamodda
    When they stop acting like one.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5752874].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author temlawn
    Newbie = new to the Im world. End of story...
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5752879].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author temlawn
    First Day of school... you want to learn, see new stuff.. ie, newbie.
    Thx
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5752887].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author JeremiahSay
    Hmm.. I don't think there's any right answer to your question..

    A 1 - 6 months old IMer - is considered a newbie, but what if he's lucky and is able to make 2k - 5k every month consistently, will you still consider him a newbie?

    For this instance, some may say "Yes, whatever the case, he's still a newbie because he's still NEW to IM", well and others might say "No, he's already making a full-time income. he's no longer a newbie"

    on the other hand,

    A 1 - 6 YEARS old IMer - is considered an "old-bird", but what if he's unlucky and NOT able to make a full time income online.. Will you consider him as unsuccessful or a newbie??

    Vice Versa..

    Conclusion:

    Different people have different thoughts.. It's just like asking someone, "what is the best car?" you are asking for a argument, seriously: Some people say "I like BMW because it's...." "NO Audi has that, it's even better...." blah blah black sheep..

    Sayonara,

    God bless you,
    Jeremiah
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5752934].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author MattCatania
    He who thinks generally is.

    If you think you're a newbie, that you're looked down upon and you struggle to make money then it becomes harder to disassociate yourself with this label.

    The word 'newbie' more than often is associated with negative connotations - nobody wants to be one (which is why some fake it before they make it).

    I would say that someone who is continuously self-educating and improving themselves in any given subject and/or is making money (if we're talking about marketing here) should no longer be classified as a 'newbie'.

    Anything more than a basic understanding of the subject material at hand should allow somebody to be banished of these labels.

    P.S - I find novice a more friendly word than newbie - this is generally because 'newbies' (especially in the gaming world) are victimized and is usually associated as a term of offense.

    Just my 7.23800 Zimbabwean dollars
    Signature

    Logic outweighs all.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5753070].message }}

Trending Topics