I did a worthwhile task today:-
- Listed all of the third-party services I rely on to conduct business.
- Assessed what I'd do if they went down/bankrupt/I got booted.
- Looked at alternative services out there.
- Made a realistic calculation as to how quickly I could get going with these 'replacement' services.
- Stood back, from a wider perspective and looked at how any of the above would affect the service from my client's point of view.
- My web forms are currently hosted by a third party (Formsite.com), and I didn't have an external copy of the form's contents. Therefore, if they shut down, I'd loose all of my form fields. So, I made a copy of what each form contains so I could set up with a new provider.
- I didn't have a back up phone number ready to put on my site, should my Voip phone system go down. Due to this, I made sure I have detals of a spare number at hand to publish on my website.
- Realized I may be relying on Dropbox too heavily for file storage, so made 2 backups of everything in case DropBox failed.
So, how many baskets are your eggs in, and do you have a 'Plan B'?