What Makes You Opt-In For A Free WSO?

54 replies
Your e-mail is like your identity (for some people), and giving it away may make you uneasy. But, for a good offer, it's worth it. When it comes to a free WSO, as in you opt-in with your e-mail and receive it, what convinces you to do so? Or, contrarily, what would make you decide not to do so?
#free #makes #optin #wso
  • Profile picture of the author Daniel Evans
    Originally Posted by resellcells View Post

    Your e-mail is like your identity (for some people), and giving it away may make you uneasy. But, for a good offer, it's worth it. When it comes to a free WSO, as in you opt-in with your e-mail and receive it, what convinces you to do so?

    "Free"....
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5766009].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author CyberAlien
    I actually just have a gmail account that I use for opting in for anything. The only time I login is when I need to verify my email and I never read any other emails
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5766025].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Daniel Evans
      Going through the emails on a Monday morning is sometimes a daunting task assuming I haven't been working over the weekend, though on the flipside, there are always ethical unsub options and I really don't think I could go through the hassle of logging into web mail.

      I'm quite happy to give my email assuming the source doesn't look too shady.

      Daniel
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5766052].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author RichardDean
      Originally Posted by Chase Watts View Post

      I actually just have a gmail account that I use for opting in for anything. The only time I login is when I need to verify my email and I never read any other emails
      This sounds about right thanks for answering for me.

      If you don't do the above then you are still green to IM


      Richard
      Signature

      5 Minute Mobile Sites... My Next WSO Comming Soon.

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5780630].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author BIG Mike
      Banned
      [DELETED]
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5875287].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author christinelong
        Okay, no one has mentioned that the a free WSO offer may actually earn the Warrior who posts it a commission from a CPA offer when someone signs up or opts in. I'm a newbie, and I'm not sure if that is against WSO rules, but would definately like to know!
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5875379].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author GaryBurke
      Originally Posted by Chase Watts View Post

      I actually just have a gmail account that I use for opting in for anything. The only time I login is when I need to verify my email and I never read any other emails
      If you were to optin to one of my lists then it would be a waste of time sending you anything of value then wouldnt it
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5876772].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Ross Cohen
    Interesting - thanks for the insight Dan and Chase - I appreciate it!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5766259].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author lotsofsnow
    If the free WSO smells bad I do not give my email.

    From the copy it is often obvious that the "seller" only wants the email and does not care about his readers.

    So, if the copy is somewhat decent and the offer mot some old shoe I give my email.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5766354].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author WillR
    I tend to stay away from most free WSO's. If someone has something of value to sell they will usually charge money for it. A lot of marketers have tarnished the reputation of free products and people don't seem to value them as much anymore. If I were you I would charge at least a few dollars for your product if you are planning on giving it away.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5766673].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Ross Cohen
    Well, in my situation, it's alike to article writing. And, as you probably know, before hiring an article writer (or in this case, paying for articles), you want to make sure the quality is up to par and that you'll be receiving quality. That's kind of the purpose of it being free initially, know what I mean? What do you think about that?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5771950].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Alexa Smith
      Banned
      To my slight surprise, I can't actually remember the last time I opted in for a free WSO.

      It's not that I'm so protective of my email address, because I know one can always unsubscribe (and I think anyone building a list from a free WSO - whether using a "proper autoresponder" or not - is going to honor such a request and not become a spammer, if they want their WSO to stay there and not have the unsubscription request posted in the thread?) but I spend less and less time in the WSO folder and seem only to buy from people I know, here.

      I know that not everyone agrees with me about this, but I think it's usually a far smarter move to offer a $1 WSO than a free one.

      You build a completely different list, that way. In one case you're getting a buyers' list of people known to have either credit-cards or PayPal accounts and both the ability and willingness to use them online. In the other case, you're getting a mixture of those people and a whole lot of others too, with no way of distinguishing between the two groups.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5772548].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author StunningWarrior
    Originally Posted by resellcells View Post

    Your e-mail is like your identity (for some people), and giving it away may make you uneasy. But, for a good offer, it's worth it.
    You only have one email address ???

    Create multiple email addresses from providers that allow pop3/imap access and retrieve the emails to one central address that you never give out. If an address gets abused you can just remove it from the list that your central address retrieves. With so many free providers you should never be in a situation where you are worried about giving away your email address.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5772671].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author TopBackBuilder
    The fact that it's free and if it has good comments/reviews
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5776579].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author eldudebros
    Beautiful Sales page.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5777036].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author iaffiliatehq
      Curiosity will always get me to click the mouse and opt-in. I want to see and learn what techniques other are using in their attempt to achieve IM success.

      However, I do not always give a good personal email address. I use Firefox with a FREE plugin called TrashMail. It allows you to create a temporary email address. Messages sent to that temp address are forwarded to any email address you desire.

      From their website: "It's really easy to use: Create a new email address on trashmail.net. All mails to this address will be forwarded to your real email address for a number of times you can set up on the following form. When the limit is reached, the Trashmail.net email address will be automatically deleted. All following mails (like spam, newsletter, etc) will be rejected at Trashmail.net."

      To Your Success!
      ----Maria
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5780597].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Des Lau
    The value of what is on offer (if it will do me any good in whatever I'm doing) and the fact that it is free.
    I have a specific email for Opt-ins as they can get quite annoying, particular when the chime on my phone goes off every minute at night !!!
    Signature
    -----------------------------

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5780632].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author fenixpro
    Unless the sales copy or something is a total turnoff, I pretty much opt into everything I come across. I don't then sit there and read or watch it all immediately. But I do have a folder for it with different categories (traffic, software, social, etc.) and I will just put it in there. Later if I'm looking to be inspired for posting, writing, creating, or whatever for one of my sites or a possible product, I'll sort through and see what pops up.

    Additionally, I love to learn and even with success and the focus I put into my own endeavors, I still constantly am reviewing, reading, watching, and taking in as much as possible.

    These habits for me will usually product a "light bulb" moment where I come up with my own angle or idea to create or leverage something positive for my business or my readers...

    I suppose I'm a collector...
    Signature

    You Are Not Your Thoughts
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5780661].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Ettienne
    In short: Value.
    Signature
    Need SEO and Backlinks?
    Get a 30-Day FREE Trial
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5780754].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author jessiepadgal
    I, too, collect..but I also don't opt in to just everything. Since I know the list owner is going to want me to buy, I don't opt-in if I don't think that I will buy from them.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5815339].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Jarrett
    Banned
    Free WSO's are bad news. lol. I don't know who'se teaching people to do them, but it's not good advice.

    Think about it.

    Unfortunately, alot of wso's out there are low quality. People know that. So when people see "FREE WSO", what does that say to them?

    Many people are going to read into that. And their first instinct is 'this wso must really be bad if they can't justify charging $7/$9 for it.'

    So is it any surprise why WSO's with *FREE WSO* in the title get little to no clicks?

    Those two words don't help you.. They work against you. If you put that in your title, you are shooting yourself in the foot.. Even if the quality of content is good. people won't ever know.. because most of them won't click on it in the first place.

    Also.. giving away stuff for free can work against you.. because many people believe 'if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is." Put it to the test. Go on the streets.. and try to give away flat screen tv's for free to random people.

    Watch as you have a HARD time doing it.. People won't accept it.. because they'll think it's all some kind of act or prank... That there's gotta be some kind of catch.

    Same is true with WSO's for FREE. If it sounds too good to be true.. people will be hesitant.

    Not only that.. What kind of people you are attracting when you go free?

    The freebie seekers, the bottom of the bottom aka the worst of the uglies. lol

    Seriously, if they've got a hard time spending $7-$9 upfront.. you probably don't want them on your list anyways.. They are gonna give ya hell.

    And to make matters worse, when you go *free wso* you scare away serious buyers.

    You just heard from WillR and Alexa that they don't opt in for free wso's.. and neither do I. because I assume it's going to be crap or it's all a ploy to get my email, offer little to no value, and spam me to death.

    Either way. just say no to doing a free wso. Seriously. If you've got decent information.. (even if you don't have a reputation yet or alot of proof) I would still say you're better off charging a few bucks for it.

    Or at the very minimum if you really wanted to do a free WSO.. I would do it with a twist. don't mention it being Free in the title thread. People will click to check it out. Do it like a traditional sales letter. They'll scroll all the way down to the bottom to see the price.. and that's where you can shock them by telling them you have a special deal going where they can get it free.. if they act fast.

    I guarantee that will get ya a better response.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5815811].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author PaulyC
      Originally Posted by Jarrett View Post

      Free WSO's are the scourge of this earth. lol. I don't know who'se teaching people to do them, but it's terrible advice.

      Think about it.

      A lot of WSO's out there are junk. People know that. So when people see "FREE WSO", what does that say to them?

      You're basically telling them that your wso is so bad that you can't even justify charging $7/$9 for it.

      So is it any surprise why WSO's with *FREE WSO* in the title get little to no clicks?

      Those two words don't help you.. They work against you. If you put that in your title, you are shooting yourself in the foot.. Even if the quality of content is good. people won't ever know.. because most of them won't click on it in the first place.

      Also.. giving away stuff for free can work against you.. because many people believe 'if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is." Put it to the test. Go on the streets.. and try to give away flat screen tv's for free to random people.

      Watch as you have a HARD time doing it.. People won't accept it.. because they'll think it's all some kind of act or prank... That there's gotta be some kind of catch.

      Same is true with WSO's for FREE. If it sounds too good to be true.. people will be hesitant.

      Not only that.. What kind of people you are attracting when you go free?

      The freebie seekers, the bottom of the bottom aka the worst of the uglies. lol

      Seriously, if they've got a hard time spending $7-$9 upfront.. you probably don't want them on your list anyways.. They are gonna give ya hell.

      And to make matters worse, when you go *free wso* you scare away serious buyers.

      You just heard from WillR and Alexa that they don't opt in for free wso's.. and neither do I. because I assume it's going to be crap or it's all a ploy to get my email, offer little to no value, and spam me to death.

      Either way. just say no to doing a free wso. Seriously. If you've got decent information.. (even if you don't have a reputation yet or alot of proof) I would still say you're better off charging a few bucks for it.

      Or at the very minimum if you really wanted to do a free WSO.. I would do it with a twist. don't mention it being Free in the title thread. People will click to check it out. Do it like a traditional sales letter. They'll scroll all the way down to the bottom to see the price.. and that's where you can shock them by telling them you have a special deal going where they can get it free.. if they act fast.

      I guarantee that will get ya a better response.
      Fantastic piece of advice here man, thanks for taking the time to share it... it all makes complete sense and I will definitely take this advice seriously.

      Thanks!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5820585].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Ian Jackson
      Originally Posted by Jarrett View Post

      Free WSO's are the scourge of this earth. lol. I don't know who'se teaching people to do them, but it's terrible advice.

      Think about it.

      A lot of WSO's out there are junk. People know that. So when people see "FREE WSO", what does that say to them?

      You're basically telling them that your wso is so bad that you can't even justify charging $7/$9 for it.

      So is it any surprise why WSO's with *FREE WSO* in the title get little to no clicks?

      Those two words don't help you.. They work against you. If you put that in your title, you are shooting yourself in the foot.. Even if the quality of content is good. people won't ever know.. because most of them won't click on it in the first place.

      Also.. giving away stuff for free can work against you.. because many people believe 'if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is." Put it to the test. Go on the streets.. and try to give away flat screen tv's for free to random people.

      Watch as you have a HARD time doing it.. People won't accept it.. because they'll think it's all some kind of act or prank... That there's gotta be some kind of catch.

      Same is true with WSO's for FREE. If it sounds too good to be true.. people will be hesitant.

      Not only that.. What kind of people you are attracting when you go free?

      The freebie seekers, the bottom of the bottom aka the worst of the uglies. lol

      Seriously, if they've got a hard time spending $7-$9 upfront.. you probably don't want them on your list anyways.. They are gonna give ya hell.

      And to make matters worse, when you go *free wso* you scare away serious buyers.

      You just heard from WillR and Alexa that they don't opt in for free wso's.. and neither do I. because I assume it's going to be crap or it's all a ploy to get my email, offer little to no value, and spam me to death.

      Either way. just say no to doing a free wso. Seriously. If you've got decent information.. (even if you don't have a reputation yet or alot of proof) I would still say you're better off charging a few bucks for it.

      Or at the very minimum if you really wanted to do a free WSO.. I would do it with a twist. don't mention it being Free in the title thread. People will click to check it out. Do it like a traditional sales letter. They'll scroll all the way down to the bottom to see the price.. and that's where you can shock them by telling them you have a special deal going where they can get it free.. if they act fast.

      I guarantee that will get ya a better response.
      My polite answer to this ^^^ is that I disagree.

      I would suggest this rips apart your theory...

      http://www.warriorforum.com/warrior-...r-forum-3.html

      You may care to check out Alexa's testimonial before you go using/quoting the names of other Warriors to back up your theory.

      Just my 2c
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5875038].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author jessicalynn
        I will opt in if the WSO is something I'm genuinely interested in reading.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5875195].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Jarrett
        Banned
        Originally Posted by Ian Jackson View Post

        My polite answer to this ^^^ is that I disagree.

        I would suggest this rips apart your theory...

        http://www.warriorforum.com/warrior-...r-forum-3.html

        You may care to check out Alexa's testimonial before you go using/quoting the names of other Warriors to back up your theory.

        Just my 2c
        Hey Ian.

        If you scroll up.. right above my post.. you'll notice that Alexa said ' To my slight surprise, I can't actually remember the last time I opted in for a free WSO'.. which is why I mentioned her name.

        I'm still trying to figure out why ya kept saying 'your theory', lol.

        There's no theory about it bro.

        It's fact. If you're doing a free wso.. you are leaving alot of money on the table. Bottom line.

        -you are gonna have a heck of a time trying to get affiliates to help you promote a free wso, which is what drives the vast majority of traffic in the wso section.

        -free wso's typically don't do as well. Again. If you don't believe me.. look at the numbers yourself.

        -they have a lower perceived value (you don't put as high of a value on things that you get for free. there was no real 'commitment' / pain with buying it..

        For example. A kid who worked his butt off all summer to save $k for a car.. is going to treat that car ALOT differently than a kid who got handed a $30k car by his dad.

        And I saw Dan's thread. I'm not sure how it proves anything? He created a satire piece 8 months ago. Its a joke. Read the comments =)
        Over that 8 month period he's got 3 pages of comments.

        I don't see how that's a success?
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5876849].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author HansM
    Aren't free WSO's just threads from the Main Internet Marketing Discussion Forum packaged as a pdf document? No need to get those when you keep up with the forum ;-)

    In response to the OP: I use a separate email address for free stuff, whether it be free WSO's or other optins, since those are created for list building, and I always try to learn from other people's auto responders.
    Signature

    The Online Business Architect

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5816287].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author los s
    the copy and the headline
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5817225].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Jill Carpenter
      The same things that make me opt into a paid one.

      The offer itself needs to be enticing and information/product I am looking for.

      Free WSO's are the scourge of this earth. lol. I don't know who'se teaching people to do them, but it's terrible advice.
      Depends on the purpose. I've seen some big players here offer free WSO's. Don't you think it can help with branding? Sometimes the information can be free - but the tools to make the information work the easiest may cost a bit of something.

      For some people, it could just be a way to practice or learn list building/communication.

      I may agree with you that the fact that it is free could be more of a bonus, and not the primary reason to grab it.
      Signature

      "May I have ten thousand marbles, please?"

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5818078].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Jarrett
    Banned
    well here's what I look at Jill - the numbers... and they don't lie ;p

    If you do a search in the wso section for all threads that have ' FREE WSO ' in the title.. you'll notice a trend. They all died fast. lol. Those 2 words KILL.

    And I don't mean kill, like they crushed it... I mean kill as in dead. no pulse. someone give him CPR! haha

    Almost all WSO's with those 2 words in the title crash and burn. check it out for yourself. The vast majority get extremely low open rates / and comments... Compare that with any other topic and you'll see a stark contrast.

    Also, any wso seller will tell ya that a HUGE majority of the traffic you get on your wso is from jv's / affiliates. They send the bulk of traffic.

    And if you do a free wso, you probably aren't getting any of that either. lol.
    Even if you went free, got people on your list then immediately upsold them something.. unless you're getting insane EPC's and it's some freak miracle.. most affiliates aren't going to promote it. Affiliates want to get paid on the front end. It's what they're used to. It's what works.

    Here's 1 example. Bobby and I promoted Traffic Travis on CB this last year. Mark Ling tried doing a free signup on the front end and then upsell you on the full feature software.. Guess what? launch tanked. lol and that's Mark freaking-ling. he's the man

    We had leader-boarded on a big launch right before that launch. We had a great list. We sent massive traffic to that offer... and the conversions were CRINGE-WORTHY.

    And I mean like.. we sent 3,000+ clicks the first day and made like 2 sales haha
    I cried a little.

    Lesson learned. do you think we'll promote those kind of offers again? no way in hell lol.
    Will other affiliates? probably not.

    Yes. there are a few 'free wso's' that have got decent views/replies (and that's cuz they gave away the freaking farm, and have bumped that thread for the last 3 years straight haha)

    But those were from a handful of guys that were well known on here and were giving away some irresistible offer - insane traffic plugin / software / step by step blueprint on how to make millions..

    And even then.. I'd still tell them they are making a big mistake.

    Had they have sold it.. they would've made more money, still built a good size list, and filter out all the junk/freebie seekers who had no intention of buying in the first place.

    The WSO section is a marketplace. it's a buy/sell section. People go in there with the intention of buying and getting a good deal on stuff. So if you try giving away something for free.. it's going against the grain and not meeting them where they are at.

    I am adamant against this, because I've seen the numbers, the back-endm and how it stacks up over and over again.

    With Paid WSO's.. You make alot more money. You get alot more sales. You can recruit a ton of affiliates. And you weed out freebie seekers.. And you do this all in one blow.

    So why do it any other way? it doesn't make sense.

    I had taught alot of the top guys on here.. and I told em from day 1 that Free WSO was a paid idea and showed them the proof.. but a few of em didn't listen to me.. and tried doing it anyway and it tanked. lol. it blew my mind.

    most people do free WSO's because of fear. Most of them are doing their first wso. They don't have alot of rep/cred/social proof or any proof that the method they are showing people actually works haha

    And because of it.. they are afraid to charge money. because they aren't confident and don't see the value of it.

    But it's bullocks. and it's all in their head. If they got cool info that will help people.. people will gladly spend a few bucks on it.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5820201].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Paul Hancox
    Wow.

    I can't believe nobody's actually mentioned... THE OFFER.

    I'll sign up IF what they're offering promises to be valuable enough for me.

    And by "valuable", I don't necessarily mean "has a specific DOLLAR value".

    If I'm looking for a guide on how to do A, B and C... and you offer me that for free, I'll find that valuable.

    It's ultimately about the OFFER.

    The headline, fancy graphics etc are just there to entice me to accept the OFFER.

    And the offer might entice me if it's something I feel I want... or better still, need
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5820312].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Paul Myers
      Paul,
      I can't believe nobody's actually mentioned... THE OFFER.
      You expected rationality?

      There is a very loud minority here who have a nasty and toxic view of everything that happens. If they can find a way to create a villain or conjure a scam out of even the most vague of comments or innocent of questions, they will. And they're poisoning the atmosphere here.

      Comments like the suggestion above that "free is worth even less than crap" are made as though they were established fact, and they go largely unchallenged. Why? The sensible people won't waste their time any more arguing with the destructive and irrational "people" who spout this garbage.

      Without someone taking the time to explain to the other folks reading the threads just why those comments are just mindless noise, more and more people start to accept them as truth. And they repeat them, becoming carriers of the disease.

      These brilliant and self-satisfied little poisoners don't realize that they themselves are the cause of the problems they complain about. The more they say stupid things like that, the more people who have something useful to offer want to avoid having anything to do with them. And so, they keep their best stuff for audiences that appreciate it, rather than throw it in their faces and call it trash without even looking at it.

      Keep it up, kiddies. I'm an inch or two from dropping houses on all you toxic twits.


      Paul
      Signature
      .
      Stop by Paul's Pub - my little hangout on Facebook.

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5820979].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Jill Carpenter
        Originally Posted by Paul Hancox View Post

        Wow.

        I can't believe nobody's actually mentioned... THE OFFER.
        I'm nobody?

        The offer itself needs to be enticing and information/product I am looking for.
        Signature

        "May I have ten thousand marbles, please?"

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5821068].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Tim3
        Originally Posted by Paul Myers View Post

        Paul,You expected rationality?

        There is a very loud minority here who have a nasty and toxic view of everything that happens. If they can find a way to create a villain or conjure a scam out of even the most vague of comments or innocent of questions, they will. And they're poisoning the atmosphere here.

        Comments like the suggestion above that "free is worth even less than crap" are made as though they were established fact, and they go largely unchallenged. Why? The sensible people won't waste their time any more arguing with the destructive and irrational "people" who spout this garbage.

        Without someone taking the time to explain to the other folks reading the threads just why those comments are just mindless noise, more and more people start to accept them as truth. And they repeat them, becoming carriers of the disease.

        These brilliant and self-satisfied little poisoners don't realize that they themselves are the cause of the problems they complain about. The more they say stupid things like that, the more people who have something useful to offer want to avoid having anything to do with them. And so, they keep their best stuff for audiences that appreciate it, rather than throw it in their faces and call it trash without even looking at it.

        Keep it up, kiddies. I'm an inch or two from dropping houses on all you toxic twits.


        Paul



        Thankyou Paul, I am glad you have put the boot in.

        I have been working for 7 weeks on a 150 page WSO myself that gives away several acres of the farm, with the intention of giving it away for free and I can't say I am pleased to read some of the above comments, I for one would not be at all happy if it gets 3 subscribers because of comments like these.

        I will agree that some free WSO's are not of much value, but someone still took the time to put them together, and if their sole intention is just to blast out offers, well we can all unsubscribe.
        Signature

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5876247].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Jarrett
          Banned
          Originally Posted by Tim3 View Post

          Thankyou Paul, I am glad you have put the boot in.

          I have been working for 7 weeks on a 150 page WSO myself that gives away several acres of the farm, with the intention of giving it away for free and I can't say I am pleased to read some of the above comments, I for one would not be at all happy if it gets 3 subscribers because of comments like these.

          I will agree that some free WSO's are not of much value, but someone still took the time to put them together, and if their sole intention is just to blast out offers, well we can all unsubscribe.
          Tim. here's my point

          You can do a free wso.. You can get some subscribers from it.

          And if it's something you want to do.. go for it!

          But honestly bro. I would tell you that you are doing yourself a disservice.
          If you do a free wso you are leaving alot of money on the table.

          If you've spent 7 weeks on an ebook.. that tells me you've really poured your heart and soul into making it great.. and that's worth charging a few bucks for.

          When you're charging a few bucks for your wso.. It has a higher perceived value, you'll be able to get more affiliates to help you promote it + ultimately you'll make more money.

          Which is just a reasons why I'd recommend going paid vs. free. but to each their own.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5876684].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Tim3
            Originally Posted by Jarrett View Post

            Tim. here's my point

            You can do a free wso.. You can get some subscribers from it.

            And if it's something you want to do.. go for it!

            But honestly bro. I would tell you that you are doing yourself a disservice.
            If you do a free wso you are leaving alot of money on the table.

            If you've spent 7 weeks on an ebook.. that tells me you've really poured your heart and soul into making it great.. and that's worth charging a few bucks for.

            When you're charging a few bucks for your wso.. It has a higher perceived value, you'll be able to get more affiliates to help you promote it + ultimately you'll make more money.

            Which is just a reasons why I'd recommend going paid vs. free. but to each their own.

            Point taken Jarret.

            However money is not my God, I do actually like to help people in my own small way and spend many hours doing so.
            I also believe you are right about having affiliates on board.

            I like to think that if someone received my free WSO and was impressed by the content they might be more inclined to buy something in the future, possibly culminating in a high end sale at some point in the future.

            In the meantime I hopefully gain a good reputation and happy customers that may spread the word, which may then eventually find it's way here on the WF, and I am aware that the top sellers here earn some very large sums because of their good reputation, they have something that cannot be bought - trust.
            Signature

            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5876881].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author Jarrett
              Banned
              Originally Posted by Tim3 View Post

              Point taken Jarret.

              However money is not my God, I do actually like to help people in my own small way and spend many hours doing so.
              I also believe you are right about having affiliates on board.

              I like to think that if someone received my free WSO and was impressed by the content they might be more inclined to buy something in the future, possibly culminating in a high end sale at some point in the future.

              In the meantime I hopefully gain a good reputation and happy customers that may spread the word, which may then eventually find it's way here on the WF, and I am aware that the top sellers here earn some very large sums because of their good reputation, they have something that cannot be bought - trust.
              Tim, money is not the motivation. Money is simply an added bonus for providing value and helping people out

              And if you want to reach a much wider audience in the wso marketplace.. I would recommend charging a few bucks for yours that way you can get affiliates on board..

              Also, since you are charging a few bucks.. people will place a higher value on it.. be more likely to take action and do what it says (since there is now emtional pain / loss / spent money..

              the more people that take action, the better the testimonials.. The better the testimonials.. the more people that will want to buy it.. etc
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5877104].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Jarrett
        Banned
        Originally Posted by Paul Myers View Post

        Paul,You expected rationality?

        There is a very loud minority here who have a nasty and toxic view of everything that happens. If they can find a way to create a villain or conjure a scam out of even the most vague of comments or innocent of questions, they will. And they're poisoning the atmosphere here.

        Comments like the suggestion above that "free is worth even less than crap" are made as though they were established fact, and they go largely unchallenged. Why? The sensible people won't waste their time any more arguing with the destructive and irrational "people" who spout this garbage.

        Without someone taking the time to explain to the other folks reading the threads just why those comments are just mindless noise, more and more people start to accept them as truth. And they repeat them, becoming carriers of the disease.

        These brilliant and self-satisfied little poisoners don't realize that they themselves are the cause of the problems they complain about. The more they say stupid things like that, the more people who have something useful to offer want to avoid having anything to do with them. And so, they keep their best stuff for audiences that appreciate it, rather than throw it in their faces and call it trash without even looking at it.

        Keep it up, kiddies. I'm an inch or two from dropping houses on all you toxic twits.


        Paul

        Paul, I respect your opinion, but you are off base on this.

        If all ya got from my post was 'free is worth even less than crap' , you didn't read it.

        I'm not here to rant and rave. I'm here to help people out.

        This is an area where I've got alot of insight.. And can shed some light on a topic that there is alot of mis-information and confusion on.

        I've helped coach tons of the top guys over in the wso section.. and many of them wanted to do a free wso when they started.

        And I advised against it then, just like I advise against it now.

        If you want to do a free wso as a way to give back to the community.. then by all means go for it.

        But if you'd like to build a bigger higher quality list and make more money.. then I'd recommend charging a few bucks for it.

        that is all =)
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5877049].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author NACAdam
    Good sales copy
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5820968].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author erichammer
    If it sounds somewhat interesting, I'll do it because I have a spam e-mail address where I don't care if I get lots of junk mail. And yes, I do look through it. It's not like I just ignore the thing completely but I don't give it the same weight that I give to my regular e-mail address. I think most people do this....
    Signature
    Why waste your time hiring a cheap writer? Cheap writers don't write stuff that converts!

    Get the conversions you need and deserve with my professional, viral writing services.

    Free SEO included at no additional charge!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5821115].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author TopKat22
    If the sales copy has enough technical info in it that you that it appears the person knows what they are talking about, if it is not to hypey, if the reviews or comments from others about it are good, how I feel about it, if it is something I'm even remotely interested in and more---might be reasons why I would opt in.

    From my experience on this forum and elsewhere, I've paid for things that weren't worth a penny and I've gotten for free some valuable information I would've been willing to spend a few hundred dollars on so you just never know.

    When I find such valuable free information on here, I try to share it when appropriate in threads about that topic.

    Overall though, optin in is not a big deal to me cause I can always opt out and I use several email addresses anyway.
    Signature
    44 days in and we broke the $10K a month recurring bench mark.

    Guaranteed 60% Opt In Rate Traffic-Real People-Fresh Today-High Quality Biz Opp traffic![/URL]
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5875105].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author buckeyes09
    Wow, this thread just shed completely new light to me...
    Signature

    Christian

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5875893].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Randall Magwood
    The fact that it's free and the hope that it will be filled with great information - especially if it was inspired by the knowledge that someone learned from here on the Warrior Forum.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5875912].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Troy_Phillips
    First off, if I were to do a free WSO .. you can bet it will be drip delivered via email. You want a free bite of the burger .. you will listen to the cook talk.

    When signing up to a free WSO it is always about who is offering instead of what. The best lessons always come from the processes being used .. not those being taught.
    Signature

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5875996].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author yukon
    Banned
    I haven't created any WSOs but I do have a few quality download sites that I give away free content (a lot of free content).

    FREE is perfect for promoting your site.

    I look at it like this, even If a person that visits my site never buys & they like the free content, chances are very high that they will recommend my site/products to at least one other person. Even If all the non-buyer does is post a single link on a public forum or any other social media, email, etc... mission accomplished (new traffic)!

    If the FREE content is quality, it's like having affiliates that you never have to pay.

    Don't underestimate the power of FREE!
    Signature
    Hi
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5875997].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Brendan Carl
    A lot of people are saying that the deciding factor is the "free" aspect, but I disagree. There are many free offers that I do not opt-in for.

    First of all, if the squeeze page/site content is badly written, and it looks like the marketer did not put in much effort into it (the actual written content - NOT the aesthetics), then I can assume that the marketer will also not put much effort into actually giving me valuable free content, in both the product and the subsequent emails. If I am not getting meaningful content with no effort put into it, why would I opt-in?

    Also, I only opt-in for products that are different than all of the other free products. I do not want 20 different rehashed reports on how to write a sales copy (unless one of these reports actually offers a unique method). I only will give out my email for something that I do not already have.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5876090].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Jon Brickley
    Definitely having second thoughts about running a free WSO after reading everyone's opinions!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5876248].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Tadresources
    I am willing to give my info to anything that has two key factors

    1) plausibility - it must be legitimate. I can almost always tell when something smells fishy/

    2.) Benefits - It must be giving me something valuable. I'm not expecting the world here, but being "free" doesn't cut it for me. It must also bring something to the table.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5876838].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Chris Worner
    If Warren Buffet offered you advice that would help you become financially independent and debt free in the form of a free WSO, you'd turn it down on the assumption that the information mustn't be good because it's free?

    Strange.

    -Chris
    Signature

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5876866].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Jarrett
      Banned
      Originally Posted by Chris Worner View Post

      If Warren Buffet offered you advice that would help you become financially independent and debt free in the form of a free WSO, you'd turn it down on the assumption that the information mustn't be good because it's free?

      Strange.

      -Chris
      nah, I'd turn it down on the assumption that he must be smoking something in the first place to even bother with doing a wso

      Look, Chris.

      I don't think free wso's = bad information.
      In fact, many free wso's are loaded with tons of awesome info.

      Which is exactly why I think they should be charging a few bucks for it.

      And what really matters more than anything is what your prospect thinks.
      If your prospect goes into the WF expecting to buy something at $5-$17 price range.. and then sees you doing a wso for free.

      What is going to be his FIRST initial thought?

      -there's got to be some kind of catch? Surely, people don't just give high quality stuff away for free.. I wonder what sorts of tricks he is up to..

      -maybe the information is bad? real low quality?

      that's the kind of stuff THEY are going to think. it's their initial knee jerk reaction. yes. you can convince people otherwise.. but why go against the grain?
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5877249].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Fallen_Angel
    Its funny cause there are tons of free stuff I would never subscribe to get, I like certain topics and when something free is there, you never know maybe a nugget you do not know. "a wise man will listen to a fool as he may learn something but a fool listens to no one".

    That said, if it is a garbage bag surprise. What use is having my email when i will never buy from a garbage man or woman.
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5877187].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author loi77
    Interesting discussion, I've learned a lot from you all.

    I was considering giving away free WSO, but I am not sure now........

    I certainly agree that Free stuff has a much lower perceived value especially when free information is so readily available on the net.

    The fact that video marketing is so effective is because videos have a higher perceived value than written content.

    People are already suffering information overload, they don't need more low quality information. They need information that can specifically help them with their problem.

    The hard part is - how do you separate the wheat from the chaff?
    Signature

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5877202].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author HeySal
    I don't opt in to very many free WSOs. The reason? Most of em cover subjects I really don't care anything about. I'm not gonna bother to download something I'm not gonna want to read just because it's free.

    I did get one that was free that was incredible (Thanks Justin). When I get ready to release a special product I am making, I might actually go and buy a product he has on the subject that isn't free. While the free version gave me good info - I want to get a better view of the subject and after reading the free product, I know he'll have a good workable procedure for me to implement.

    I've also downloaded a few free products that were crap. They were free. Doesn't matter - it's not like it took me hours to tell they were crap.

    Win a few, lose a few. Big controversy. Wanna hear me yell? Charge me $47 bucks for crap. Then I'm pissed. GU*RANTEED.
    Signature

    Sal
    When the Roads and Paths end, learn to guide yourself through the wilderness
    Beyond the Path

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5877260].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Paul Myers
      Wanna hear me yell? Charge me $47 bucks for crap. Then I'm pissed. GU*RANTEED.
      And when Momma ain't happy, ain't nobody happy!

      Notice the absence of smileys...


      Paul
      Signature
      .
      Stop by Paul's Pub - my little hangout on Facebook.

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5877546].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Michael Ten
    I do not think that much of anything would these days...

    A direct download link perhaps via a private message... but I guess that would not be an opt-in, would it?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5877289].message }}

Trending Topics