Drupal or Joomla: Which is Better for a Local Biz Directory?

by Tina M. Rideout 26 replies
Hey all,

I have had a local biz directory in mind for a while now. I have decided to start developing it, but am not sure which is better and has more capabilities.

Drupal or Joomla.

Here are a few of the features I want.

User editor, so that they can add and edit their biz info themselves

Easy to exchange templates that would be relative to each biz type

Easy pay cart for subscriptions and advertising.

Yellow page type script

Umm, I think those are the most important aspects atm.

Easy to use, as I am php challenged

Thanks
Tina
#main internet marketing discussion forum #biz #directory #drupal #joomla #local
Avatar of Unregistered
  • Profile picture of the author Jesus Perez
    You may also want to take a look at phpMyDirectory.com - PHP/mySQL Business Directory Script - PHP/mySQL Yellow Pages Script - PHP Directory Project. Very powerful with built in payment module.
    Signature


    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[46951].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Tirmizi
      php directory is highly recomended for this , has all the capabilities for a directory site, drupal and joomla will give you different modules to work with, not a specific solution for what you are looking for ......


      my 2 cents
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[47031].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Ahkamden
        I've never dealt with PHP Directory but if you want to stick with Joomla it has a pretty customizable component called SOBI2 which can handle this
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[47062].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author paul8368
    Originally Posted by Tina M. Rideout View Post

    Hey all,

    I have had a local biz directory in mind for a while now. I have decided to start developing it, but am not sure which is better and has more capabilities.

    Drupal or Joomla.

    Here are a few of the features I want.

    User editor, so that they can add and edit their biz info themselves

    Easy to exchange templates that would be relative to each biz type

    Easy pay cart for subscriptions and advertising.

    Yellow page type script

    Umm, I think those are the most important aspects atm.

    Easy to use, as I am php challenged

    Thanks
    Tina
    Hi Tina,

    I'd be interested to hear how you get on as I'm thinking of developing something similar for local biz here.

    Unfortunatley I can't help as I haven't done it yet

    Paul
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[47066].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Tina M. Rideout
      Thanks for the info everyone,

      I have had my URL for awhile now. I have trying to figure out how I wanted my directory to be different from the rest.

      I think I have that figured out but just need an easy to use CMS system.

      I have used Joomla in the past for another site. But had some difficulty getting the modules I wanted to work properly

      I was reviewing Drupal. Did not know if it is as good as Joomla or not.

      Thanks

      Tina
      Signature
      Text Styles Design

      Website Design - Business Logos - Posters - Ads
      and More!


      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[47079].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author John Rogers
        If you're php challenged, you should probably stick with Joomla. I think you'll find most of the techies prefer Drupal, but you'll find far more support for Joomla, and most agree that it's easier to use than Drupal.

        John
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[47093].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Tiger
          Originally Posted by John Rogers View Post

          If you're php challenged, you should probably stick with Joomla. I think you'll find most of the techies prefer Drupal, but you'll find far more support for Joomla, and most agree that it's easier to use than Drupal.

          John

          I agree with John. If you are a not a programmer at heart, drupal is
          the bigger "mountain to ascend".

          This LINK

          will let you know a few things about where the different CMS platforms
          stand.

          /Steve
          Signature
          We Get What We Settle For
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[47253].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Jesus Perez
        Originally Posted by Tina M. Rideout View Post

        Thanks for the info everyone,

        I have had my URL for awhile now. I have trying to figure out how I wanted my directory to be different from the rest.

        I think I have that figured out but just need an easy to use CMS system.

        I have used Joomla in the past for another site. But had some difficulty getting the modules I wanted to work properly

        I was reviewing Drupal. Did not know if it is as good as Joomla or not.

        Thanks

        Tina
        Both are powerful CMS's. Both have their ups and downs. But you will find yourself hacking away at Joomla and Drupal quite a bit to get things to function the way you want.And once everything is right...a new version will be released that has the potential to break your components and modules. This will quickly become frustrating.

        PhpMyDirectory is ready to go with all the features most directories need. And it's extremely SEO friendly. And payment modules are built in. You simply can't beat the "take off running" advantage it offers. And upgrade are easy.

        I love Joomla, Wordpress and Drupal and use them daily. But if I was going to start a directory, I would use PhpMyDirectory. The reason I'm not recommending PhpLD (despite having purchased it a while back) is because it does not inherently support photos for listings.

        My 2 cents. Good luck out there!
        Signature


        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[47096].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Tina M. Rideout
          I really like Word Press and Google seems to like it too. So I am thinking I would start off with a Business Directory type template to get started and indexed then gradually add another CMS system.

          As part of my "thinking outside the box" for my directory, I want to add some local historical information, about long established businesses and companies. Therefore (in my mind)building some relevant content into the directory, plus a venue for folks to add their knowledge etc.

          I already have a couple of companies that are really interested in my concept and would be willing to add some historical info, ie a local contractor, electrician, and artist that makes his artwork from photos of specific sites in the area.

          Thanks

          Tina
          Signature
          Text Styles Design

          Website Design - Business Logos - Posters - Ads
          and More!


          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[47204].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author jensrsa
            Don't know drupal.

            I use phplinkdirectory some sites, and used phpyellow as well, but moved most of my sites to Joomla with SOBI2, although it is more limited, mainly because neither at the time, and I don't know i that has changed, had a bulk mailing system.

            In addition I prefer to have the full functionality of a cms rather than a specialist directory so that I can expand the site to a wider use.

            On two of my first directories I use Rapid Classifieds at http://www.4u2ges.com/, a classified ad script in asp that I converted to a directory, and it works very well. Although it doesn't have the articles capability either.

            I suppose that it depends what all you want to be able to do with the site, or if it will be a specialist directory site. If so do as BlueSquares says, get a specialist script
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[47298].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author Kael41
              Funny you should mention this topic. I'm actually planning to convert one of my sobi2 joomla sites for another site that is in the making. I'm going to take the look and functionality of this site..Find Your Writer! The Freelance Writers Directory and morph it into a paid local directory. I think it'll work out nicely
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[47308].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author dvduval
          Originally Posted by BlueSquares View Post

          I love Joomla, Wordpress and Drupal and use them daily. But if I was going to start a directory, I would use PhpMyDirectory. The reason I'm not recommending PhpLD (despite having purchased it a while back) is because it does not inherently support photos for listings.
          We do have a image uploader mod that works well now. It is true that it is not "built in", but it is not too hard to come by. I am "David" in the phpLD forums if anyone needs help with this.
          Signature
          It is okay to contact me! I have been developing software since 1999, creating many popular products like phpLD.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[49501].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Tina M. Rideout
            Okay all, I have decided to go with Joomla

            Quick question: How do you config SOBI2, as the landing page?

            Thanks
            Tina
            Signature
            Text Styles Design

            Website Design - Business Logos - Posters - Ads
            and More!


            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[51350].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author Louis Raven
              WOW I though you lot was joking, I tried Joomla and nearly had a breakdown.

              My technically challenged mind was so at ease with DRUPAL. Each to their own I guess.

              You also want to look into the future, will Joomla or Drupal allow you to create pages with specific SE optimized pages (UNIQUE title/ description tags)?

              After all, what is a directory without search engine traffic?

              Louis
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[51403].message }}
              • Profile picture of the author Tina M. Rideout
                Ah, that is why I am setting it up on Word Press, and connecting the Community to it.


                Ie, historical facts, established business information, etc. Plus I am going to hook up a specific classified section for jobs, things for sale, and what ever else might com to my mind.

                Plus I want to set up a membership section. There I will provide specific, targeted products for interested businesses, ie websites, graphics, advertising banners etc. Hence the question about WP membership plugins.

                So I still need to know how to make the directory the landing page. "Smile"
                I may have to start a new thread to get the answer.

                Tina
                Signature
                Text Styles Design

                Website Design - Business Logos - Posters - Ads
                and More!


                {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[51425].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author jkt777
              Originally Posted by Tina M. Rideout View Post

              Okay all, I have decided to go with Joomla

              Quick question: How do you config SOBI2, as the landing page?

              Thanks
              Tina
              If you have already created a menu item, you just need to re-order it to the number 1 position. That will basically make it the home page.

              Joel
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[51433].message }}
              • Profile picture of the author Tina M. Rideout
                Thanks Joel,

                That was a breeze. Now on to set it up.

                Tina
                Signature
                Text Styles Design

                Website Design - Business Logos - Posters - Ads
                and More!


                {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[51446].message }}
                • Profile picture of the author Tina M. Rideout
                  I just want to say thanks to everyone.

                  I really am liking Joomla.

                  Here is a sneak peek at what I have accomplished thus far.

                  QCA Business Directory
                  QCA Business Directory

                  The only thing I need to get added are the rest of the categories and the membership portion.

                  Again Thanks to everyone for the help

                  Tina
                  Signature
                  Text Styles Design

                  Website Design - Business Logos - Posters - Ads
                  and More!


                  {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[54502].message }}
                  • Profile picture of the author dvduval
                    Looks pretty good so far. Good job. So this is more of a blog, right?
                    Signature
                    It is okay to contact me! I have been developing software since 1999, creating many popular products like phpLD.
                    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[87705].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author BrainDance
    I am a total joomla addict, and think the system is limitless (yes sometimes with some hacking) SOBI2 is great and free, but I have also used Mosets which is also very clean, though it is fee based.
    Joomla allows you to grow your site easily like adding banners,adsense, communities,registration,member areas and the like, with very basic knowledge.
    For expandability and especially community support with new extensions daily..joomla.
    (to make your directory the main thing you visitors see, move the directory link in place of the 'home' link on the main menu)
    hope all goes GREAT
    Signature
    ================================
    I am taking on only ecover design work for the next 90 days. Rates are 47.00 for single cover, discounts for multiple..just ask! No payment until completed.
    http://www.d27portfolio.com for sample works
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[47397].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Matt Johnson
      Drupal will make you curl up in the corner and weep. It's extemely powerful, extremely flexible, and extremely difficult to learn and develop for (even for the very experienced).

      Be prepared to invest serious hours if you go for the Drupal option...
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[47519].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Tina M. Rideout
        Yikes I don't have time to be curled up or weeping any where.

        Does Joomla have a user editor plugin?

        Or does anyone know which specific plugins might do the trick?

        Tina
        Signature
        Text Styles Design

        Website Design - Business Logos - Posters - Ads
        and More!


        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[47532].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Kael41
          The sobi2 component has a pretty good user editor. There's some good extensions to check out at extensions.joomla.com to see which ones fit your needs. Search for extended user profile.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[47620].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author newbyr
      Originally Posted by BrainDance View Post

      I am a total joomla addict, and think the system is limitless (yes sometimes with some hacking) SOBI2 is great and free, but I have also used Mosets which is also very clean, though it is fee based.
      Joomla allows you to grow your site easily like adding banners,adsense, communities,registration,member areas and the like, with very basic knowledge.
      For expandability and especially community support with new extensions daily..joomla.
      (to make your directory the main thing you visitors see, move the directory link in place of the 'home' link on the main menu)
      hope all goes GREAT
      I agree with BrainDance. Adding Mosets to your joomla setup really gives you everything you need for a directory. Including a payment module.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[88669].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author devrajans
        Hi,

        Please see dublin-bandb.com Dublin Bed & Breakfast Directory for a simple example of a business directory using Joomla 1.5 and Rockettheme template.

        Thanks

        Devrajan Srinivasan
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[357862].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Leron Ford
          Looks like you went with Wordpress. How do you like it so far (as opposed to Joomla)?
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[368104].message }}
Avatar of Unregistered

Trending Topics