Domain for over 60K on flippa and still going ?!!!

35 replies
I came cross interesting auction on flippa today. someone is selling a domain and it goes over 60K in bidding ( the reserve price is $75k ). :confused:

The domain name : twitterfollowers

The domain hold a trademark in it and Twitter has already forced tweinds and youlikehits to change their domain names for violating its trademark (one of them user to be twitterfollowers or something similar).

Why are people bidding on a domain that certainly can't be used (twitter have been hunting these domains that has such a violation.

I just finding it interesting that someone is risking 60K or more for no apparent clear reason.
#60k #domain #flippa
  • Profile picture of the author DotComBum
    I think that is crazy, at least for a domain name that has a trademark in it, I won't even dare to register such a name
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5836262].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author MohawkJoe
    Does having twitter on your domain name really give them the right to petition for it to be taken down?

    twitter is a dictionary word, something that was not even brandable until they came in.... but the twitter + followers may give it away
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5836306].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Green Moon
      Originally Posted by MohawkJoe View Post

      Does having twitter on your domain name really give them the right to petition for it to be taken down?
      Generally, an trademark owner can only get the name if it is used to sell similar or related goods and services (which this seems likely to be, by the way). However, in the case of a "famous" trademark, any use that tends to devalue the use of the famous mark is called dilution and gives additional rights to the trademark owner.

      In other words, it seems to be an all around crazy idea to buy the domain name for any price.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5836420].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author sbucciarel
      Banned
      Originally Posted by MohawkJoe View Post

      Does having twitter on your domain name really give them the right to petition for it to be taken down?

      twitter is a dictionary word, something that was not even brandable until they came in.... but the twitter + followers may give it away
      Of course it does and will matter how it's used. Use it in a way that attempts to bank of Twitter's name and it's gone, along with the thousands of dollars someone spends to buy that domain name.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5862389].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author onegoodman
    Twitter wouldn't care about a domain name called twitterfollower however, if the owner or new owner decided to use it to create a website selling twitter followers or exchange.

    Yes, twitter will hit them too fast, that they wouldn't even realize what hit them lol

    I just don't understand why someone will pay that much for a domain only !!!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5836357].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Oliver Williams
      Originally Posted by onegoodman View Post

      Twitter wouldn't care about a domain name called twitterfollower however, if the owner or new owner decided to use it to create a website selling twitter followers or exchange.

      Yes, twitter will hit them too fast, that they wouldn't even realize what hit them lol

      I just don't understand why someone will pay that much for a domain only !!!
      I see your point, you could always ask the seller on a public thread and see what he says.
      Signature
      Don't believe everything you think
      \\\===========================///
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5836426].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author onegoodman
        Originally Posted by Oliver Williams View Post

        I see your point, you could always ask the seller on a public thread and see what he says.
        Someone already did and he replied by this link that Twitter keyword is used, and it is an english word : Sam Johnston: "Twitter" Trademark in Trouble Too

        Although this article has a good argument about use the word twitter, however, I do think this domain can be trouble simply because I don't think someone will pay 60K in this domain to sell facebook fans

        There is only one reason someone willing to spend this money which is using is to sell twitter followers. Selling Twitter followers is already questionable argument.

        However, the fact that twiends (the biggest exchange marketplace for twitter followers was forced to change its domain name and website name after receive a C&D letter) does make this argument pretty weak.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5836486].message }}
    • Originally Posted by onegoodman View Post

      Twitter wouldn't care about a domain name called twitterfollower however, if the owner or new owner decided to use it to create a website selling twitter followers or exchange.

      Yes, twitter will hit them too fast, that they wouldn't even realize what hit them lol

      I just don't understand why someone will pay that much for a domain only !!!
      A combination of ignorant people and shill bidders, probably.

      fLufF
      --
      Signature
      Fiverr is looking for freelance writers for its blog. Details here.
      Love microjobs? Work when you want and get paid in cash the same day!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5836482].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author SocialFansExpert
    I had a domain that I had to get rid of on Flippa recently - facebookfanlist.com for the same copyright reasons. Apparently you won't be able to register such domains soon, and some registrars like namecheap are now stopping the practice altogether.
    Signature
    Social Media Marketing & SEO Services Consultant in Canada, USA, and Globally!

    Website: http://SocialFanExpert.com
    Twitter: http://twitter.com/socialfanexpert
    Join me on Google+
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5838178].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Mkcoy
    Banned
    Maybe one day but there is a demand for it in the market.

    Buy twitfollowers.info for $0.99 and sell it for $50k.

    Whats so odd about that? Been happening for years.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5860469].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Tim3
    Originally Posted by onegoodman View Post

    I came cross interesting auction on flippa today. someone is selling a domain and it goes over 60K in bidding ( the reserve price is $75k ). :confused:

    The domain name : twitterfollowers

    The domain hold a trademark in it and Twitter has already forced tweinds and youlikehits to change their domain names for violating its trademark (one of them user to be twitterfollowers or something similar).

    Why are people bidding on a domain that certainly can't be used (twitter have been hunting these domains that has such a violation.

    I just finding it interesting that someone is risking 60K or more for no apparent clear reason.



    Good grief there's one born every minute!

    better to pay $10 for a domain and spend the rest on marketing it.
    Signature

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5860768].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Wilcox
    Absurd. That's all there is to say. I would never.
    Signature

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5860782].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Bruce NewMedia
    I'm thinking Fluffy is right, a lot of shill bidders, that just smells of being rigged.
    _____
    Bruce
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5860802].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author LilBlackDress
      Absolute crazy to buy that site at any price.

      With Facebook going after sites that have "Face" and "Book" in the name (not even both words), I can imagine Twitter could have a field day with this one.
      Signature

      Pen Name + 8 eBooks + social media sites 4 SALE - PM me (evergreen beauty niche)

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5860870].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author seolvl1
        Is the term android trademarked?

        because i see sites like androidandme.com , phandroid.com, androidauthority.com and they are authority sites.

        I guess it depends on how the domain is used?
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5861021].message }}
        • Originally Posted by seolvl1 View Post

          Is the term android trademarked?

          because i see sites like androidandme.com , phandroid.com, androidauthority.com and they are authority sites.

          I guess it depends on how the domain is used?
          Yes, from Star Wars oddly enough.


          It also depends on how much they care about. I have several domains with trademark names in them, but they are small and truly don't matter, especially if I'm promoting their brand (like an Acura site I have).

          That being said, if I bought something that mattered and got a lot of publicity, I don't expect to be left alone.

          On another point, it depends on how a site is getting monetized or if it is at all. If you take a forum that might make a few bucks off ads, but isn't trying to lure people in with their android-like phones (think iPhone/Samsung fight), you're generally fine.

          Take a look at our friends over at FacebookSucks.com. As long as they're not trying to make money off of facebook, they're fine. Looks like they stopped mid-production on that one, but hopefully they'll pick it up again. They're fine as long as they don't start trying to monetize it (or maybe Facebook will just laugh it off).
          Signature
          Unlimited Mailing and Telemarketing Lists for $50/month!
          www.ListShack.com
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5861146].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Richard Tunnah
            Originally Posted by AffordableMarketingLists View Post

            Yes, from Star Wars oddly enough.


            It also depends on how much they care about. I have several domains with trademark names in them, but they are small and truly don't matter, especially if I'm promoting their brand (like an Acura site I have).

            That being said, if I bought something that mattered and got a lot of publicity, I don't expect to be left alone.

            On another point, it depends on how a site is getting monetized or if it is at all. If you take a forum that might make a few bucks off ads, but isn't trying to lure people in with their android-like phones (think iPhone/Samsung fight), you're generally fine.

            Take a look at our friends over at FacebookSucks.com. As long as they're not trying to make money off of facebook, they're fine. Looks like they stopped mid-production on that one, but hopefully they'll pick it up again. They're fine as long as they don't start trying to monetize it (or maybe Facebook will just laugh it off).
            Just because you are promoting a brand does not give you the right to use their trademark in a domain unless you have written permission to do so. They could still sue you for cyber squatting as well as getting the domain back!

            Rich
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5862571].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author kamlesh23
    I am not sure whart would be the aftermaths of purchasing and launching twitterfollowers but definitely there are chances of site being shut down after claim from Twitter.

    I know a similar case when I was working for the SEO of moogle.in after around 2 years of hard work in development and promotion of the site, one day we got a notification from Google and thus were forced to shift the site to a new name now known as grotal.com
    Signature

    Get social media traffic to your site now

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5861759].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author the_icon
    I, personally, cant believe Flippa are allowing this auction to continue.

    Shouldnt they have somewhere in their T&C's about violating trademarks or copyright?

    After looking at the auction it is obvious it is a sham. No actual questions, just comments about the sale, good luck etc and the same person bidding on it over and over again, obviously just to bump up the price.

    Also, why are they not selling the site as well? Just the domain name. Probably because they know the domain name is the issue and are punting it and going to put the content on a "safe" domain.

    Scam artists everywhere.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5861864].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author davezan
      Originally Posted by the_icon View Post

      Shouldnt they have somewhere in their T&C's about violating trademarks or copyright?
      They do, actually. Not that that won't stop others from trying, anyway.
      Signature

      David

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5863145].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author 100k
    If its getting sales and traffic, the buyer can always do a 301.

    Or maybe the bidders are out to scam the guy, pay for the domain, get all the admin details, change the stuff over to themselves and keep the control, then open a dispute about tradename (and get their funds back).
    Signature

    Rent this space.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5861934].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author SebastianMaduro
    I've always found these prices for 'premium' domains insane. Back in the day it was necessary for people to remember it but with all the knowledge on SEO these days a simple domain is no longer necessary imo.
    Signature
    HIGHEST CONVERTING SALES VIDEOS IN THE INDUSTRY! THE GURUS ARE RAVING!


    Special Warrior Discount
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5861946].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author SeoKnightsInc
    May be they are unaware of this fact or may be just for BRAND NAME , you are right Microsoft is also hunting such domains which contains windows in there domain, I saw established website was turned down due to this brand name in domain.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5862077].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author melleni
    I would never touch that domain and for 60K its crazy
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5862365].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author josephvijay
    How come people bid on such things and waste their bucks.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5862596].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Super Warrior
    In that case can't someone use the word 'followers' in it's domain name?? :confused:
    Signature
    WARNING:: Wasting time on Facebook? Make $500 in just 24 Hours with this simple strategy!
    Get Free PDF (Direct download, no opt-in required)-->> Read It Now
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5863415].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author the_icon
    The guy was an obvious fraudster. He has multiple accounts on Flippa. I seen one of his other auctions where he used exactly the same reply to a question as the 60k one.

    And it was bidder 12 and 13 ramping up the price. Chances are it was a bit of self promotion and keeping the sites for themselves. Everyone knows the trademark issue and they know it too. If they were serious about selling they would have taken the 74k and gone into the distance counting the moolah.

    It was probably one of his other accounts that "won" it.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5869620].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author onegoodman
      Originally Posted by the_icon View Post

      The guy was an obvious fraudster. He has multiple accounts on Flippa. I seen one of his other auctions where he used exactly the same reply to a question as the 60k one.

      And it was bidder 12 and 13 ramping up the price. Chances are it was a bit of self promotion and keeping the sites for themselves. Everyone knows the trademark issue and they know it too. If they were serious about selling they would have taken the 74k and gone into the distance counting the moolah.

      It was probably one of his other accounts that "won" it.
      Interestingly the auction reached to $74k and didn't sell.

      You might be right he is using it for self promotion, but if he is bidding on his own auction with other accounts, that would move us to the next question, where is flippa ? and what are they doing against such an issue ?
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5870657].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author the_icon
        Originally Posted by onegoodman View Post

        Interestingly the auction reached to $74k and didn't sell.

        You might be right he is using it for self promotion, but if he is bidding on his own auction with other accounts, that would move us to the next question, where is flippa ? and what are they doing against such an issue ?
        Counting the success fee of any potential sales?

        The guy was selling the same domain name with all different country extensions. Some poor saps would have probably bought the cheaper ones.

        What he probably done was to drive up the price using his own or friends accounts. Get it to a ridiculous price. If someone real buys it then fair enough. If they get caught and they "win" it then they simply go down the bidder list and contact them and do the sale outwith Flippa, thus making the real bidder think they are getting a deal ie a domain that reached 74k for only a few k or whatever they bid.

        Sound about right?
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5877740].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author carlhenson
    Hmm.. possibly. People who have 60k wouldn't really bid for something they know wouldn't last. That is simply not practical.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5869897].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author sbucciarel
    Banned
    It was a pretty ridiculous auction. Not only the trademark issue, but you got a brand new seller selling this "premium" domain name for that kind of money and all of the dubious bids on it that are likely from his "other accounts". That auction isn't real.

    Did you notice a commenter with a brand new account with the user name mike filsaime. Wanted to make it look like some big players are asking about the auction. lol.

    Pure garbage. The seller and all those shills should be banned.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5870451].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Fernando Veloso
      Originally Posted by sbucciarel View Post

      It was a pretty ridiculous auction. Not only the trademark issue, but you got a brand new seller selling this "premium" domain name for that kind of money and all of the dubious bids on it that are likely from his "other accounts". That auction isn't real.

      Did you notice a commenter with a brand new account with the user name mike filsaime. Wanted to make it look like some big players are asking about the auction. lol.

      Pure garbage. The seller and all those shills should be banned.
      Amen to that. Finally a rational voice.
      Signature
      People make good money selling to the rich. But the rich got rich selling to the masses.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5878086].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Dunhill
    facebook and twitter, all these companies are huge? why couldn't they purchase all related domain instead of sueing someone who owns such domain? should the buyer sue godaddy or namecheap then? since they have sold the domain that has trademark in it? just bunch of bs
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5878043].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author manicmethods
    It doesn't take a genius to work out that there's something seriously wrong with that auction.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5878125].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author galation
    Originally Posted by onegoodman View Post

    I came cross interesting auction on flippa today. someone is selling a domain and it goes over 60K in bidding ( the reserve price is $75k ). :confused:

    The domain name : twitterfollowers

    The domain hold a trademark in it and Twitter has already forced tweinds and youlikehits to change their domain names for violating its trademark (one of them user to be twitterfollowers or something similar).

    Why are people bidding on a domain that certainly can't be used (twitter have been hunting these domains that has such a violation.

    I just finding it interesting that someone is risking 60K or more for no apparent clear reason.
    I guess when you've got the name and someone else has a good idea for that name, the synergy of the two results in demand and this case, cash.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5878259].message }}

Trending Topics