If You're Using Pinterest You Might Be Facing Legal Action

44 replies
The only social site I've ever really loved is Pinterest - but I've reluctantly deleted my boards and moved on and Warriors might want to think about the legal implications of pinning other people's pictures.

There is a huge legal issue with images. There are image companies out there whose business model is catching people who violate their rules. Two that I know of are Getty Images and Master File. We had a totally innocent violation of Getty's rules and they are really nasty people. Masterfile simply files a lawsuit against you in federal court. No warning, no nothing.

We know a retired couple who owned a bike repair shop and they lost their biz paying image fines. They had a website design done and the designer used a Masterfile image. The owners didn't even know about it but it didn't matter in court.

There is a very popular Warrior forum course that teaches about buying images from a certain site, adding captions and then using an embed code so that anyone can upload your new picture. The TOS on that image site completely forbids this and all stock image sites that I know of forbid using their images this way.

There is software that scans the web 24/7 looking for pirated pictures and there is no way to disguise a stolen image. Countless times there is advice on the WF forum: 'just go to Google image and download a picture'. What horrible advice!

And just because you're outside the US, don't think you're safe. There was a recent story about a citizen of the UK who was extradited to the US for a prison sentence involving images which is so 'Big Brother-ish' that it's frightening.

Anyway, eventually someone will be sued on Pinterest. Don't let it be you!!!

Lawyer assesses Pinterest's copyright situation
- DDKPortraits DDK Portraits

*********************

In several places in Pinterest's Terms of Use, you, as the user, agree that you will not violate copyright law or any other laws. And then there is this:
"YOU ACKNOWLEDGE AND AGREE THAT, TO THE MAXIMUM EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, THE ENTIRE RISK ARISING OUT OF YOUR ACCESS TO AND USE OF THE SITE, APPLICATION, SERVICES AND SITE CONTENT REMAINS WITH YOU." (yes, this is in ALL CAPS right in their TOU for a reason).

And then, there is this:
"you agree to defend, indemnify, and hold Cold Brew Labs, its officers, directors, employees and agents, harmless from and against any claims, liabilities, damages, losses, and expenses, including, without limitation, reasonable legal and accounting fees, arising out of or in any way connected with (i) your access to or use of the Site, Application, Services or Site Content, (ii) your Member Content, or (iii) your violation of these Terms."

This "defend and indemnify" stuff means that if some photographer out there decides that he or she does not want you using that photogs images as "inspiration" or otherwise and decides to sue you and Pinterest over your use of that photog's images, you will have to hire a lawyer for yourself and YOU will have to hire a lawyer for Pinterest and fund the costs of defending both of you in court. Not only that, but if a court finds that you have, in fact, violated copyright laws, you will pay all damages assessed against you and all damages assessed against Pinterest. OUCH. Oh, but it gets better. Pinterest reserves the right to prosecute you for violations. Basically, Pinterest has its keester covered and have shifted all of the risk to you. Smart of them, actually since the courts are still deciding whether the site owner or the user should be ultimately responsible. Rather than wait for the decision, they have contractually made you the responsible one. And you agreed. (And by "you" I clearly mean "we").
#action #facing #legal #pinterest
  • Profile picture of the author ashloren
    I doubt that anyone is going to be sued for using Pinterest.

    A similar situation came up a few years back with the site Polyvore, which allows you to "clip" images from most websites and then create collages using pictures from multiple sites/sources. Lots of big brands were pissed at first and tried to shut the site down, but in the end polyvore prevailed and it's still around today.

    If anything, they will go after Pinterest. Not their users. Same as with Limewire and other sites that enable controversial content manipulation by their users.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5886423].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author NoodlyDoodly
      Originally Posted by ashloren View Post

      I doubt that anyone is going to be sued for using Pinterest.

      A similar situation came up a few years back with the site Polyvore, which allows you to "clip" images from most websites and then create collages using pictures from multiple sites/sources. Lots of big brands were pissed at first and tried to shut the site down, but in the end polyvore prevailed and it's still around today.

      If anything, they will go after Pinterest. Not their users. Same as with Limewire and other sites that enable controversial content manipulation by their users.
      You can argue that the Polyvore collage is vaguely transformative, and in general the pictures are shrunk to rather small sizes. I have no objection to Polyvore.

      Pinterest on the other hand shows full size images, it is not transformative at all. On the internet, the image of the object is often worth more than the object itself. Pinterest allows the "consumption" of the image by way of viewing on Pinterest's website, rather than the originator's website.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6189336].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ashloren
    Also, Tumblr essentially offers the exact same functionality that Pinterest does...and tons of other sites like image bookmarking services.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5886432].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Frank Ayres
    Everytime there is something new all the scaremongers come out trying to worry everyone without really knowing what they are talking about
    Signature

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5886471].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author cyberws
      Sorry, but I do know what I'm talking about. A user posted a picture on my blog and it wasn't hers to post. That's how we started up with Getty Images - when we received our first (but not last) official letter from an attorney. They want $2000 for that picture, which is ridiculous, but so far we've spent $375 for two letters from our attorney. In addition, we know the bike shop owners mentioned above and we know one 'guru' who is being sued for $40,000 for the misuse of pictures. If you want to take that chance, go ahead. Others don't want to wander into this kind of misery. And with the success of Pinterest, it's EXACTLY the kind of site that will be sued.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5886942].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author RJS7
      Originally Posted by Frank Ayres View Post

      Everytime there is something new all the scaremongers come out trying to worry everyone without really knowing what they are talking about
      Thank you so much for saying this. I am fed up with it, This is why I do not come to this site as often as I used to because of this.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5890090].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author JimMichael
    I think Pinterest have their backs covered. I don't use the site as I believe it's another fad that will blow over in a few months.
    Signature

    .

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5886998].message }}
  • I think that it is best to be safe than sorry later. Definitely something to think about.
    Signature
    -> Get Profile Backlinks here
    -> #1 Virtual Assistant Service Hire Your Own Virtual Assistant To Work JUST For You
    -> Ezine Articles Service Let Us Build Your Article Portfolio Today!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5887258].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Mike Linley
    @Jimmichael- Pinterest is a fad just like Facebook and Twitter are just "fads" right?!?!?!?

    The site is 2 years old now!!

    The site is growing faster than Facebook ever did at any stage!!!

    Genius idea with repinning and pinboards and every woman I know is using it and viewing it daily!!!

    Yea, give it a few months and see how much it has grown. Hey, at least you gave me a laugh..the same kind of laugh I had when ignorant people said Twitter was just a fad!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5890067].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author providence1877
    thank you for taking the courage to warn people here about a possible danger... as a newbie, i appreciate it a lot as i was just thinking how to maximize my pinterest account... now i know i should double warn my photographer in making sure that all the photos he will submit to me are our original.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5890144].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author futurepocket
    Um, they can't file a lawsuit against you for user submitted content if you have a proper terms of service/use in place. Granted you shouldn't use copyrighted material on your website anyways -- always make it original. Google is updating their bot anyways to learn to read Java... and implementing their image recognition technology so that alt and title tags won't have as much significance. They're working their hardest to make sure that the most unique and best content rises to the top of the search engines.

    My point being, if I am using "BuddyPress" on my WordPress installation, and a user submits an image (copyrighted), I am not liable for that image, but the user is.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5890199].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Sillysoft
      Originally Posted by futurepocket View Post

      Google is updating their bot anyways to learn to read Java
      Java or JavaScript? 2 different things. I believe you meant JavaScript.
      Signature
      No more...
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5933486].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Stoney
    It does make sense. I just wonder how Pinterest gets away with encouraging people to pin other people's images?
    Signature
    BEGINNING ONLINE MARKETERS:
    Tee2 Online Sales Profit Hub- Learn and Profit
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5890296].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author aaallday2010
    My uncle is a dentist and he purchased an e-commerce package with AT&T. Well, AT&T put a picture on the site and 9 months later, Getty images threatened legal action against my uncle if he didnt pay up like $400 (I saw the picture and it wasn't worth $5).

    Anyway, AT&T ended up taking care of everything. But the OP is right. Be VERY careful where you get your images from.

    Be especially careful if it belongs to Getty. They can and WILL find you.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5890419].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author gabbydeb
    Hello and thank you for the concerned post about Pinterest.
    I guess my thinking is, why would anyone start up a website
    like Pinterest, or any of the other websites, whose main product
    is uploaded images, if it wasn't a sound business model. In other
    words, why would these sites exist if they were encouraging
    the uploading of photos or images, when the site owners know
    darn well that most people aren't graphic artists or
    photographers uploading original images, or people who
    have found a public domain goldmine.

    As a matter of fact Pinterest, uses a process where their
    members use something called a pinmarklet, where someone
    can upload a URL to be pinned to their pin board. This is done
    by clicking on the add button on the right hand of your personal
    menu area. You know where I think the confusion is happening
    here, is that Pinterest is setup to where you are actually pinning
    the URL to a page on another site, rather than finding an image
    on a site somewhere, that you think is totally awesome, and
    then you right click it to save to your computer, and then use
    it for your self, without permission of the website or
    copyright owner.

    You say their TOS protects them, which I agree, but why
    bother to build a site like Pinterest, when nobody is uploading
    images, because they are afraid of being sued. If nobody is
    uploading images, there is no reason for a TOS, and no reason
    for Pinterest to exist.

    This is my logic, but it may be flawed. If someone sees where
    my thinking on this flawed, please tell me, because Pinterest is
    new to me, and I just got my own account, and was planning
    to create my own pin boards, however I am a very cautious
    person, and certainly can't afford to be sued.

    Regards,
    Debbie



    Originally Posted by cyberws View Post

    The only social site I've ever really loved is Pinterest - but I've reluctantly deleted my boards and moved on and Warriors might want to think about the legal implications of pinning other people's pictures.

    There is a huge legal issue with images. There are image companies out there whose business model is catching people who violate their rules. Two that I know of are Getty Images and Master File. We had a totally innocent violation of Getty's rules and they are really nasty people. Masterfile simply files a lawsuit against you in federal court. No warning, no nothing.

    We know a retired couple who owned a bike repair shop and they lost their biz paying image fines. They had a website design done and the designer used a Masterfile image. The owners didn't even know about it but it didn't matter in court.

    There is a very popular Warrior forum course that teaches about buying images from a certain site, adding captions and then using an embed code so that anyone can upload your new picture. The TOS on that image site completely forbids this and all stock image sites that I know of forbid using their images this way.

    There is software that scans the web 24/7 looking for pirated pictures and there is no way to disguise a stolen image. Countless times there is advice on the WF forum: 'just go to Google image and download a picture'. What horrible advice!

    And just because you're outside the US, don't think you're safe. There was a recent story about a citizen of the UK who was extradited to the US for a prison sentence involving images which is so 'Big Brother-ish' that it's frightening.

    Anyway, eventually someone will be sued on Pinterest. Don't let it be you!!!

    Lawyer assesses Pinterest's copyright situation
    - DDKPortraits DDK Portraits

    *********************

    In several places in Pinterest’s Terms of Use, you, as the user, agree that you will not violate copyright law or any other laws. And then there is this:
    “YOU ACKNOWLEDGE AND AGREE THAT, TO THE MAXIMUM EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, THE ENTIRE RISK ARISING OUT OF YOUR ACCESS TO AND USE OF THE SITE, APPLICATION, SERVICES AND SITE CONTENT REMAINS WITH YOU.” (yes, this is in ALL CAPS right in their TOU for a reason).

    And then, there is this:
    “you agree to defend, indemnify, and hold Cold Brew Labs, its officers, directors, employees and agents, harmless from and against any claims, liabilities, damages, losses, and expenses, including, without limitation, reasonable legal and accounting fees, arising out of or in any way connected with (i) your access to or use of the Site, Application, Services or Site Content, (ii) your Member Content, or (iii) your violation of these Terms.”

    This “defend and indemnify” stuff means that if some photographer out there decides that he or she does not want you using that photogs images as “inspiration” or otherwise and decides to sue you and Pinterest over your use of that photog’s images, you will have to hire a lawyer for yourself and YOU will have to hire a lawyer for Pinterest and fund the costs of defending both of you in court. Not only that, but if a court finds that you have, in fact, violated copyright laws, you will pay all damages assessed against you and all damages assessed against Pinterest. OUCH. Oh, but it gets better. Pinterest reserves the right to prosecute you for violations. Basically, Pinterest has its keester covered and have shifted all of the risk to you. Smart of them, actually since the courts are still deciding whether the site owner or the user should be ultimately responsible. Rather than wait for the decision, they have contractually made you the responsible one. And you agreed. (And by “you” I clearly mean “we”).
    Signature

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5890467].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author goosefrabah
      Originally Posted by gabbydeb View Post

      Hello and thank you for the concerned post about Pinterest.
      I guess my thinking is, why would anyone start up a website
      like Pinterest, or any of the other websites, whose main product
      is uploaded images, if it wasn't a sound business model. In other
      words, why would these sites exist if they were encouraging
      the uploading of photos or images, when the site owners know
      darn well that most people aren't graphic artists or
      photographers uploading original images, or people who
      have found a public domain goldmine.

      You say their TOS protects them, which I agree, but why
      bother to build a site like Pinterest, when nobody is uploading
      images, because they are afraid of being sued. If nobody is
      uploading images, there is no reason for a TOS, and no reason
      for Pinterest to exist.

      This is my logic, but it may be flawed. If someone sees where
      my thinking on this flawed, please tell me, because Pinterest is
      new to me, and I just got my own account, and was planning
      to create my own pin boards, however I am a very cautious
      person, and certainly can't afford to be sued.

      Regards,
      Debbie
      I see your logic 100% but think of it this way. Someone owns a storage unit business. Now the owner has a unique business where he really fills a niche. Now someone could store bodies in the unit and it's not his fault. However other people could also use it for furniture.

      I think the perfect thing for pinterest would be to allow authors to tag their images and offer to sell them on their. It would recognize the image, put a box on it and offer to sell it in many different formats. It would fix a ton of issues.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5890517].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author gabbydeb
        Thank you for responding to my post. I did revise it because I wanted to explain just how Pinterest is going about this. Ok, what happens is that when you want build your pinboard, and you want to do it from scratch, they have an add button, which you click, and what that does is pull of a page at Pinterest where you put the URL of the page that you wish to pin, with what they call a pinmarklet. The whole URL of that page is pinned, so in all actuality you are not lifting an image at all, but are pinning a complete URL, which is of course is a link to the page. Now, isn't this a different method they are using? and how could this get anyone into
        trouble? Your Thoughts?


        Originally Posted by goosefrabah View Post

        I see your logic 100% but think of it this way. Someone owns a storage unit business. Now the owner has a unique business where he really fills a niche. Now someone could store bodies in the unit and it's not his fault. However other people could also use it for furniture.

        I think the perfect thing for pinterest would be to allow authors to tag their images and offer to sell them on their. It would recognize the image, put a box on it and offer to sell it in many different formats. It would fix a ton of issues.
        Signature

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5890638].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Rashell
          Just as an FYI Pinterest updated it's TOS this afternoon.

          I wrote briefly about it in this WF post --> http://www.warriorforum.com/main-int...-policies.html

          You can also check out the Pinterest Blog --> Updated Pinterest Terms - Oh, How Pinteresting!

          Rashell
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5890700].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author NoBoss
            I too read their fine print and noticed how they were trying to avoid all liability and letting us know we would have to take full legal responsibility for any problems. So I asked some of the stock photo companies for their opinion and/or approval. Three out of four said to Not Use their Images on that site. One said OK but very conditional. Its considered Image Sharing site and taboo. One thing that alerted me was noticing several lawyers quitting after reading the fine print.

            Doug
            Signature

            " The more you give people what they want...
            ...the more they'll give you what you need." Zig Ziglar

            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5890765].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author BridgetSielicki
    I deleted my Pinterest account after I carefully went back and read their TOS, and I know many others who have done the same.

    Just because you may not think you will get sued doesn't mean you won't, and it clearly reads that you are responsible for everything you pin. The terms also read elsewhere that Pinterest can then use the images you pin for whatever purposes they want.

    I could see this being a very big issue for personal photogs, etc. who don't want their images shared and have the $$ to sue you if you unknowingly pin their work.

    All the hassle just isn't worth it to me.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5890580].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Sandra Martinez
      I haven´t played with it yet. So my comments can be completely off.

      For what I saw, you go to websites, find images you like, post them and this gives a link back to the site (?)

      if this is true... why on Earth a business will sue people and cut all the free linking and traffic?

      and as a marketer... I wouldn´t put others´ images, only mine to promote my sites.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5890692].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author domainarama
    If I were an intellectual property lawyer I would take a picture of my business card and put it all over Pinterest. Fish meet barrel.

    Thanx cyberws
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5890821].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author gabbydeb
      When I use my Pinterest, I would not use the upload from my
      computer function. I would strictly use the pin URL feature.

      Regards,
      Debbie


      Originally Posted by domainarama View Post

      If I were an intellectual property lawyer I would take a picture of my business card and put it all over Pinterest. Fish meet barrel.

      Thanx cyberws
      Signature

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5890944].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Melkor
        Originally Posted by gabbydeb View Post

        When I use my Pinterest, I would not use the upload from my
        computer function. I would strictly use the pin URL feature.

        Regards,
        Debbie
        Yeah, see, that's exactly the problem. When you pin a picture, Pinterest actually grabs it and sticks it on to their server. Click on an image owned by Getty Images, and you'll find out how much of a mistake that was about the time the lawsuit and bill hits you.

        Getty images supplies an enormous number of newspapers.

        "Pin" an interesting image from some celebrity photographer, and you'll be looking at a Federal case.

        As I understand it, case law is very unclear on some points but in practice you'd better be backed up by the EFF to have a hope in Hades of your court hearing lasting longer than it takes the judge to sign the order against you. But you'd have to hire Mike Young to get an actual legal opinion from a lawyer on that.

        I just won't touch the place with a ten-foot mouse.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5891787].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author gabbydeb
          Umm, I think you misunderstood what I said. I said that the option to pin the URL, would be in my opinion okay, because you are just pinning a webpage, in other words linking to that webpage, not taking images individually from the webpage. The only time when this wouldn't be an option, is if the website owner didn't want someone linking to their webpage.

          Originally Posted by Melkor View Post

          Yeah, see, that's exactly the problem. When you pin a picture, Pinterest actually grabs it and sticks it on to their server. Click on an image owned by Getty Images, and you'll find out how much of a mistake that was about the time the lawsuit and bill hits you.

          Getty images supplies an enormous number of newspapers.

          "Pin" an interesting image from some celebrity photographer, and you'll be looking at a Federal case.

          As I understand it, case law is very unclear on some points but in practice you'd better be backed up by the EFF to have a hope in Hades of your court hearing lasting longer than it takes the judge to sign the order against you. But you'd have to hire Mike Young to get an actual legal opinion from a lawyer on that.

          I just won't touch the place with a ten-foot mouse.
          Signature

          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5892148].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author gabbydeb
    I wanted to add another thought. If you want to build your pin boards,
    seek out webpages that are interesting, with cool images, and pin that URL,
    so that when someone clicks on the image on the pin board, they are taken
    right to the URL with the image on that page. Like I said I don't see how
    that can be a problem.

    What Pinterest should do is put a disclaimer by their upload from the
    computer button, that says don't upload images from your computer,
    that you don't own. Images that you saved to your computer off of
    the internet from various websites, where you haven't read the Terms
    of Service of that website, and are not sure you have permission to
    use such images. Perhaps this would save a lot of confusion.
    Signature

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5891159].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author onSubie
    Wow. Lot's of paranoid "lawyers" here.

    Why hasn't anyone responded to the analogies with YouTube and and social share sites like stumbleupon?

    It is the site that will be legally attacked, not the users. YouTube also had strict ToS forbidding posting of copyright and absolving themselves of all responsibility of user posted content they couldn't control. It didn't help them.

    But neither did every user who uploaded something to YouTube they didn't own the rights to get sued.

    Every person who has warned "you don't know until you experience it", is talking about a problem with an image displayed on their own site. Not for posting a picture on another site.

    @cyberws: Even in your example, the user posted an image on your site and the copyright owner came after you, the site owner, not the user who posted to your site. Same thing would happen with Pinterest.

    Mahlon
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5891834].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author cyberws
    RJS7 and a couple of others: I have no course to sell, no WSO I am promoting. Our legal battle with Getty Images has been both stressful and expensive (and it's still not over) and it was because of ignorance on our part. We had no idea that we were legally responsible for images posted by commenters on our blog. My motive here was strictly to warn other people who didn't know either. You are grownups so do whatever you wish - I certainly don't care.

    Melkor is exactly right. And I doubt that Pinterest will be coming after individuals, either, because eventually they will have serious legal problems of their own. <Mega Uploads> is a case in point. They were hosting videos, instead of pictures, but the owners are not only in legal trouble, they were actually put in jail and charged with a federal crime. Their method was more defensible than Pinterest's because users had to actually sign in and upload the videos. That's not the case with Pinterest because they are actually doing the uploading themselves. I like the site and I wish it well and hope I'm wrong that it's a train wreck about to happen.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5893566].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author gabbydeb
      I deleted my account. Until there is a major overhaul of their concept, which I think is a great concept of having niche pinboards, of things you are interested in, but I am not going to accused of guilt by association, even if all I did was link to the whole website, and didn't upload images, I didn't have permission to use.

      I think Pinterest is covering themselves very well, with their terms of use statement. The user will be left out to dry. There is one thing I learned I didn't know, and I should have read on these sites terms of use, is that all content becomes their property to do with as they wish, so that means if you upload to Facebook or Pinterest images that aren't yours, and you didn't have permission to use, these images then become property of Facebook or Pinterest, to do with what they want.

      I create Facebook timeline banners, from scratch to sell, so I guess what I will have to do is watermark the banner images. Anyway, thank you for the important and eye opening original post

      Regards,
      Debbie




      Originally Posted by cyberws View Post

      RJS7 and a couple of others: I have no course to sell, no WSO I am promoting. Our legal battle with Getty Images has been both stressful and expensive (and it's still not over) and it was because of ignorance on our part. We had no idea that we were legally responsible for images posted by commenters on our blog. My motive here was strictly to warn other people who didn't know either. You are grownups so do whatever you wish - I certainly don't care.

      Melkor is exactly right. And I doubt that Pinterest will be coming after individuals, either, because eventually they will have serious legal problems of their own. <Mega Uploads> is a case in point. They were hosting videos, instead of pictures, but the owners are not only in legal trouble, they were actually put in jail and charged with a federal crime. Their method was more defensible than Pinterest's because users had to actually sign in and upload the videos. That's not the case with Pinterest because they are actually doing the uploading themselves. I like the site and I wish it well and hope I'm wrong that it's a train wreck about to happen.
      Signature

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5896159].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Dave90210
    I'm glade the media companies are stepping in and doing something. I'm one of those people who's photos are stolen everyday potentially causing me 1000's a month in loss revenue.

    I know it sounds harsh and harmless to use a photo but it's technically it's stealing. How would you feel if someone stole your designs or copyrighted material you make a living on and gave it away for free?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5896223].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Ralf Skirr
    Just found this info:
    Updated Terms of Service

    Over the last few weeks, we've been working on an update to our Terms. When we first launched Pinterest, we used a standard set of Terms. We think that the updated Terms of Service, Acceptable Use Policy, and Privacy Policy are easier to understand and better reflect the direction our company is headed in the future. We'd encourage you to read these changes in their entirety, but we thought there were a few changes worth noting.

    Our original Terms stated that by posting content to Pinterest you grant Pinterest the right for to sell your content. Selling content was never our intention and we removed this from our updated Terms.

    We updated our Acceptable Use Policy and we will not allow pins that explicitly encourage self-harm or self-abuse.
    We released simpler tools for anyone to report alleged copyright or trademark infringements.


    Finally, we added language that will pave the way for new features such as a Pinterest API and Private Pinboards.

    We think these changes are important and we encourage you to review the new documents here. These terms will go into effect for all users on April 6, 2012.

    Pinterest / Terms of Service

    Like everything at Pinterest, these updates are a work in progress that we will continue to improve upon. We're working hard to make Pinterest the best place for you to find inspiration from people who share your interest. We've gotten a lot of help from our community as we've crafted these Terms.

    Thanks!

    Ben & the Pinterest Team
    Source:
    https://plus.google.com/114542752454...ts/C6BztTk7bkE
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5897489].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author savyeman
    Be careful out there people. What don't you just use clip art it's free for anyone's sake

    You will not get sued using clip art - it's found in microsoft word and powerpoint

    problem solve 0r just pay 49 bucks at istock photos
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5897995].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author bbdginc
    I never even thought of this. If you pin an image that someone else used, and its copyright protected, someone like Getty Images will be out to get you. They try and scam people any way they can!!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5930662].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author HeySal
      Originally Posted by bbdginc View Post

      I never even thought of this. If you pin an image that someone else used, and its copyright protected, someone like Getty Images will be out to get you. They try and scam people any way they can!!
      Exactly how is protecting their copyright scamming anyone? When you use someone else's copyrighted material without permission, you are committing a criminal act. It is not "scamming" to nail you for it.

      What I see as sick and twisted is the amount of people using pics and lit that other people own and then being shocked and offended that someone would force you to stop stealing from them. This shouldn't take a major cognitive effort to understand that thieves get prosecuted for stealing. Why would it be different online than if you were stealing brick and mortar pics and literature?

      I can see that it's terrifying for site owners to have to watch what people post on their sites, but with so many stealing themselves, and allowing it done with no real cares, it's probably going to get ugly until everyone understands what stealing is. In a while, once people understand enough to keep their grubby paws off of everyone else's work and do their own - things should calm down a little bit - by that time people will have at least learned to be a bit careful, that the Net isn't just a big freebie fest for them to use however the hell they want to. Tough love.
      Signature

      Sal
      When the Roads and Paths end, learn to guide yourself through the wilderness
      Beyond the Path

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5931843].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author emrom
    Good thoughts...good point of view.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5931101].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author werpetalpushers
    Definitely something to think about...thanks for sharing!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5931962].message }}
  • More then 90% of members are broke I don't think anyone will pony up the money to pay for legal action (and 90% is not true I just tried to be over conservative).
    Signature
    soon people... Relax...
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5932115].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author mathieu67
    totally agree. Be careful what you pin
    Signature

    I am who I Am!

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5933433].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ynotbluey
    "They want $2000 for that picture, which is ridiculous, but so far we've spent $375 for two letters from our attorney."

    GETTY IMAGES Don't be afraid be very AFRAID

    There like a dog with a bone they won't let go. Had a mate who got hit for 2K for using a pen Icon on his blog. Good luck with that one
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5933549].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author makingiants
    Be extremely careful hat you pin. Original images or purchased
    images that you own should e OK (ie istock).

    Thanks for the heads-up. While we don't want to be alarmists,
    we certainly don't want to be blind, either.

    Vince aka makingiants
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5933659].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author seotothecore
    What is worse lawyers or stomach cramps?
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5934263].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author LarryC
    I just joined Pinterest so I'm hardly an expert on it. However, I don't think they are going to start arresting or suing millions of people. Copyright issues on the internet are very fuzzy in many ways. That's why videos are constantly being removed from YouTube. I think the worst that will happen is that someone will demand you remove a photo, in which case I would comply.

    If the tide turns in the direction of greater restriction, the whole site might have to come down or change its policies. In this case, your content would just be gone. But I can't see them enforcing this on a case by case basis. Then again, as you might have guessed, I'm not a lawyer, just another amateur expressing an opinion
    Signature
    Content Writing, Ghostwriting, eBooks, editing, research.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6189395].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author writetale
    ...and who, pray tell, would benefit most from the downfall of Pinterest? could the multi-billion dollar IPO folks be a little concerned? noooo...no way.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6223596].message }}

Trending Topics