Pinterest Account Terminations on the way?

28 replies
Logged into Pinterest today to see they'd updated their TOS among other things.

A few points I found interesting:

You agree not to engage in any of the following prohibited activities:
Attempt to access or search the Services, User Content or Pinterest Content or scrape or download User Content or Pinterest Content from the Services, or otherwise use, upload content to, or create new links, reposts, or referrals in the Service through the use of any engine, software, tool, agent, device or mechanism (including automated scripts, spiders, robots, crawlers, data mining tools or the like) other than the software and/or search agents provided by Pinterest or other generally available third party web browsers;
this puts a lot of WSO bots and plugins on a hit list
Send any unsolicited or unauthorized spam and spam comments on posts, advertising messages, promotional materials, email, junk mail, chain letters or other form of solicitation;
and there goes some of the "methods" for monetizing.
Use the Service for any commercial purpose or the benefit of any third party, except as otherwise explicitly permitted for you by Pinterest or in any manner not permitted by the Terms;
and a few more
Encourage or enable any other individual to do any of the activities prohibited in this Acceptable Use Policy.
And a few Pinterest courses.

Their final words on the subject:

Pinterest reserves the right, but is not obligated, to remove any User Content for any reason or for no reason, including User Content that Pinterest believes violates this Acceptable Use Policy or its Terms of Service. Pinterest may also permanently or temporarily terminate or suspend a User account without notice and liability for any reason, including if, in Pinterest’s sole determination, a User violates any provision of this Acceptable Use Policy , our Terms of Service, or for no reason.
I wonder how many warrior's accounts will be found in the cross hairs?

To read the full TOS go here --> Pinterest / Terms of Service

The Acceptable Use Policy --> Pinterest / Acceptable Use Policy

The blog post about the updates --> Updated Pinterest Terms - Oh, How Pinteresting!

Rashell
#acceptable #pinterest #policies #policy #tos #updates
  • Profile picture of the author SumikoW
    Great post. Pinterest has become very popular and the TOS's could be violated easily and should be read carefully.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5890672].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author robyna
      Interesting. I keep watching this website and am fascinated with it from a marketing perspective. Will this impact that? Only time will tell.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5891017].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Rashell
        Originally Posted by robyna View Post

        Interesting. I keep watching this website and am fascinated with it from a marketing perspective. Will this impact that? Only time will tell.
        I don't think most authentic marketer will have a problem with the new TOS/AUP. However, there are a few "internet marketers" who've already begun to develop apps/bots/plugins to mass comment, mass follow, mass repin, grab pins and automatically add to your wordpress site (similar to autoblogging), or automatically pin your wordpress posts to pinterest.

        Some training and sales messages promote the idea of re-pinning an item while changing the description and URL in order to redirect traffic away from the site which owns the image to a CPA or other affiliate offer.

        There are at least 3 mass re-pin bots in the WSO section, 2 are also mass follow bots and I believe there are 3 WP plugins that either scrape or auto pin content. Most of these appeared within the past week.

        Outside of the WF there are Fiverr gigs selling "Pinterest Invites", an " increase Pinterest followers", etc.

        So while automation isn't widespread on Pinterest some are gearing up to start using it. Looks like Pinterest is getting ready for them.

        Rashell
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5891273].message }}
        • Thanks for the update, Rashell. I'm glad you're following Pinterest so I don't have to.

          fLufF
          --
          Signature
          Fiverr is looking for freelance writers for its blog. Details here.
          Love microjobs? Work when you want and get paid in cash the same day!
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5891484].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author sbucciarel
          Banned
          Originally Posted by Rashell View Post

          I don't think most authentic marketer will have a problem with the new TOS/AUP. However, there are a few "internet marketers" who've already begun to develop apps/bots/plugins to mass comment, mass follow, mass repin, grab pins and automatically add to your wordpress site (similar to autoblogging), or automatically pin your wordpress posts to pinterest.

          Some training and sales messages promote the idea of re-pinning an item while changing the description and URL in order to redirect traffic away from the site which owns the image to a CPA or other affiliate offer.

          There are at least 3 mass re-pin bots in the WSO section, 2 are also mass follow bots and I believe there are 3 WP plugins that either scrape or auto pin content. Most of these appeared within the past week.

          Outside of the WF there are Fiverr gigs selling "Pinterest Invites", an " increase Pinterest followers", etc.

          So while automation isn't widespread on Pinterest some are gearing up to start using it. Looks like Pinterest is getting ready for them.

          Rashell

          I can only hope that they suspend bot related Pinterest activity and Pinterest spam. As it is now, it's really a nice social network. I've enjoyed checking it out and creating a couple of boards myself.

          Visually, it's stunning. It's rare that I actually like a new social network. I like this one and with all that are this popular, it is going to be abused to the max. Can't wait to see the big babies whining in the forum that their Pinterest account was shut down. :rolleyes:
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5892392].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author cashtree
    Typical company hits it big and doesn't want anyone to make money except them. I'm sure chicks will eventually tire of pinterest and them and their ridiculous TOS won't matter.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5891506].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Joseph Robinson
      Banned
      Originally Posted by cashtree View Post

      Typical company hits it big and doesn't want anyone to make money except them. I'm sure chicks will eventually tire of pinterest and them and their ridiculous TOS won't matter.
      I'd say it is more of a company hitting it big and doing what they can to prevent scammers and keeping the user experience top notch. Does it help them from an income standpoint? Yes; but I don't think that's the main point of the policy.

      Of course, it is all a matter of opinion, as only Pinterest really knows the motives.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5891840].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author onSubie
    Hmmm.

    The first point about searching and scraping wouldn't impact tools, bots or WP plugins that do not require a login.

    Bots or plugins that grab RSS feeds to repost those items from Pinterest to a WP blog do not require a login and so do not have to agree to the ToS.

    Pinterest's content is all reposted from elsewhere so they don't own any rights to the images.

    Funny that Pinterest encourages wholesale stealing of content from other sites but puts all sorts of restrictions to use the reposted content from their site. Content that they don't even own and was likely "pinned" without the original owners explicit consent.

    Mahlon
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5891759].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author gabbydeb
      Hi Mahlon,

      This is exactly what I was pointing out in another thread, about people taking images, by right clicking and saving to the computer and then uploading the image to Pinterest. A good many of the people on Pinterest are doing this. The TOS for Pinterest covers Pinterest, but what about all the pinners who are uploading images, that were taken off websites, where the pinner didn't do due dilligence, to make sure they could use that image.

      Originally Posted by onSubie View Post

      Hmmm.

      The first point about searching and scraping wouldn't impact tools, bots or WP plugins that do not require a login.

      Bots or plugins that grab RSS feeds to repost those items from Pinterest to a WP blog do not require a login and so do not have to agree to the ToS.

      Pinterest's content is all reposted from elsewhere so they don't own any rights to the images.

      Funny that Pinterest encourages wholesale stealing of content from other sites but puts all sorts of restrictions to use the reposted content from their site. Content that they don't even own and was likely "pinned" without the original owners explicit consent.

      Mahlon
      Signature

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5892194].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Rashell
      Originally Posted by onSubie View Post

      Hmmm.

      The first point about searching and scraping wouldn't impact tools, bots or WP plugins that do not require a login.
      It will affect accounts using bots to add/change content to/within Pinterest. To auto-pin, re-pin, mass comment, mass follow you need to be logged in.

      Originally Posted by onSubie View Post

      Bots or plugins that grab RSS feeds to repost those items from Pinterest to a WP blog do not require a login and so do not have to agree to the ToS.
      I disagree. I would think the RSS feed still "belongs" to Pinterest and in order to use it you'll need compliance with their terms. They may not terminate your account but I'm sure they'll have some other legal remedy prepared.

      Originally Posted by onSubie View Post

      Pinterest's content is all reposted from elsewhere so they don't own any rights to the images.
      I don't think they've ever claimed to own the rights. Their TOS provides terms to license the images while leaving copyright ownership in tact.

      Originally Posted by onSubie View Post

      Funny that Pinterest encourages wholesale stealing of content from other sites but puts all sorts of restrictions to use the reposted content from their site. Content that they don't even own and was likely "pinned" without the original owners explicit consent.
      I wouldn't say they encourage stealing content. Although they could do more to teach users how to respect copyrights.

      Other than that, being they've only licensed the content, of course they need to place restrictions on how it's used. They don't have carte blanche ownership of the images uploaded to their system.

      In addition to the changes to TOS and AUP they've also provided tools to make it easier to report copyright infringements.

      You should expect to see additional changes shortly, such as "private pin boards".

      Rashell
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5895163].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author kindsvater
      Originally Posted by onSubie View Post

      The first point about searching and scraping wouldn't impact tools, bots or WP plugins that do not require a login.

      Bots or plugins that grab RSS feeds to repost those items from Pinterest to a WP blog do not require a login and so do not have to agree to the ToS.
      This is not quite accurate. Not sure where this thought came from, but just because you send a bot to steal err scrape a site does not mean the TOS does not need to be complied with.

      For example, TicketMaster has successfully sued those using bots and violating the website's TOS. It's called copyright infringement.

      The question about use of RSS feeds may be different since typically the purpose of a RSS feed is to license the content in the feed to be used and distributed elsewhere.

      .
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5895427].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Andyhenry
    This was always going to happen - they're not stupid.

    1 - They've already been getting a lot of attention about the legal implications of image sharing.

    2 - They've probably had way more IMers trying to abuse their system than they ever realised would happen.

    3 - There are ALWAYS WSOs about any new fad thing that people think newbies will buy stuff about. They're usually created by people taking a look at the new thing (in this case Pinterest) and then hypothesizing about how you could abuse it to get links or affiliate referrals. They have zero interest in whether they'll last for the people that do it - as long as it 'sounds' like it might work most people will blame themselves if it doesn't work for them because the sales pages hype up the actual results (hype is an understatement for some of them) so it looks like they've made a lot of money doing it already.

    4 - With any 'quick' or 'easy' push button system, most people that actually try it will take the quickest and easiest option. So if you say "but don't just do this blindly - create your own unique way" - most people will not. This is why PLR is useless for most people, it's supposed to be a starting point and only works effectively when you put your own special sauce in the pot.

    5 - This will just cause a new set of WSOs about how to abuse Pinterest for IM "with new special secrets uncovered to leverage the new TOS"...
    Signature

    nothing to see here.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5892301].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Rashell
      Originally Posted by Andyhenry View Post

      3 - There are ALWAYS WSOs about any new fad thing that people think newbies will buy stuff about. They're usually created by people taking a look at the new thing (in this case Pinterest) and then hypothesizing about how you could abuse it to get links or affiliate referrals. They have zero interest in whether they'll last for the people that do it - as long as it 'sounds' like it might work most people will blame themselves if it doesn't work for them because the sales pages hype up the actual results (hype is an understatement for some of them) so it looks like they've made a lot of money doing it already.
      Setting people up for imminent failure -- what a horrible business model.

      I was surprised to get an email from a prominent warrior touting one of these non-compliant bots. I sent him a quick email letting him know the bot could put people's Pinterest accounts in jeopardy, linked to the TOS, etc. Got another email from him this morning stating what a great opportunity the bot opens up.

      But I guess the old saying applies... "Fool you once shame on them, fool you twice you're an idiot" (well that's not exactly how it goes).

      Originally Posted by Andyhenry View Post

      5 - This will just cause a new set of WSOs about how to abuse Pinterest for IM "with new special secrets uncovered to leverage the new TOS"...
      True. From here on out Pinterest will have to deal more and more with skeezy wannabe marketing tactics.

      Rashell
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5899016].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Haroon Ballim
        PinInterest is the latest hot thing . Expect them to make many changes to counteract the surge in people simply using them for seo benefit .

        If used correctly it has the potential but than too many of us want the quick fix which often does not work , especially in the long term.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5899107].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Chris Worner
    I am obviously out of the loop here, but what is Pinterest?

    -Chris
    Signature

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5893382].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author sbucciarel
      Banned
      Originally Posted by Chris Worner View Post

      I am obviously out of the loop here, but what is Pinterest?

      -Chris
      A social network that is growing extremely fast and quite popular with women. You find photos of things you like and "pin" them. If others also like them, they repin them. You create boards of pins, like say, a Clothes I like board, Gardens I Like board, Recipes I Like board, and so on.

      There's a great risk of violating copyright laws when pinning photos that you don't have rights to.

      http://www.warriorforum.com/main-int...pinterest.html
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5893485].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author gabbydeb
        Hi Suzanne,

        I posted at the Pinterest blog, and stated my concerns about everyone just going anywhere and grabbing images, and then downloading them to the computer, and then uploading them to pinterest. I said even though
        you are including the URL where the image is, the image itself was downloaded to you computer. Boy, did I get flack, from other posters.
        Many people still believe that the internet, is a giant free candy store where you can just go copy anything you want and use it.

        I mentioned about the other option, where you can pin the URL where the image is,and therefore you are only creating a link, on your pinboard, so I didn't see where that would be a problem, unless the website didn't want you linking to them. I also mentioned that there are websites that will let you use images for non-commercial purposes, but you had better make sure the image you are "borrowing" comes from such a website.

        Well I did get some support there, but for the most part, Some folks
        just acted like I told them there was no Santa Claus. LOL



        Originally Posted by sbucciarel View Post

        A social network that is growing extremely fast and quite popular with women. You find photos of things you like and "pin" them. If others also like them, they repin them. You create boards of pins, like say, a Clothes I like board, Gardens I Like board, Recipes I Like board, and so on.

        There's a great risk of violating copyright laws when pinning photos that you don't have rights to.

        http://www.warriorforum.com/main-int...pinterest.html
        Signature

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5894145].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author StevenK
    The automated Pinterest plugins and software may be a violation of TOS. Twitter has been very good at suspending accounts due to abuse of TOS. Pinterest will probably also become more aggressive in banning violators.

    Steve
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5893512].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author UMS
    The email that Pinterest sent out was very interesting. In particular, the changes to their TOS where they originally stated they could sell your content.

    Over the last few weeks, we've been working on an update to our Terms. When we first launched Pinterest, we used a standard set of Terms. We think that the updated ]Terms of Service, Acceptable Use Policy,Privacy Policy are easier to understand and better reflect the direction our company is headed in the future. We'd encourage you to read these changes in their entirety, but we thought there were a few changes worth noting.
    • Our original Terms stated that by posting content to Pinterest you grant Pinterest the right for to sell your content. Selling content was never our intention and we removed this from our updated Terms.
    • We updated our Acceptable Use Policy and we will not allow pins that explicitly encourage self-harm or self-abuse.
    • We released simpler tools for anyone to report alleged copyright or trademark infringements.
    • Finally, we added language that will pave the way for new features such as a Pinterest API and Private Pinboards.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5895290].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author xxxJamesxxx
    Pinterest is a hot cookie at the mo... Never bothered with it though.

    To anyone who has used it, is it worthwhile investing time into it as a traffic generator or not?

    James Scholes
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5895332].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author kindsvater
    Originally Posted by Ken_Caudill View Post

    Why do TOS have to complied with at all? Are websites now entitled to write law?

    By reading this post, you agree to pay me $6000.
    It's a contractual issue to access property called your website. A TOS can create a non-exclusive license to use the website in a certain manner. Use in excess of that license can create copyright infringement.

    Thus, no liability for personally viewing a web page. But there is liability for copying the page and selling it to someone else.

    Sorry Ken, but you don't get to unilaterally change the forum's TOS. But go ahead and shoot me a PM with a financial offer. I'll discuss it with Allen and perhaps something can be done.

    Something like: Ken pays the forum a $100,000 annual fee. In return the TOS are changed so that members agree to pay Ken $6000 for reading his posts. Ken is fully and solely responsible for trying to enforce this term and collect payment.

    .
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5895626].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author SixAM
    After warriors interest in Pinterest skyrocketed, they are making some long term fix to stay on track and recently there was a news article about a attorney who remove all her pins due to the TOC's.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5899215].message }}
  • Great post. As always, a few are going to ruin it for the rest of us. Thank you for letting us know about the changes.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5916974].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Tadresources
    Great question. I think that like most other social bookmarking sites, Pinterest will start cracking down on internet marketers for using it to promote their wares. And in turn IMers will just get smarter about how they do what they do. It's the evolution of marketing.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5916997].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author azjoemartin
    It is unfortunate that greed has overridden common sense. Good eye opening thread. Thanks!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5918939].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author mathieu67
    The hottest pinterest services are buy real pinterest followers and pinterest repin services.
    Signature

    I am who I Am!

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5933496].message }}

Trending Topics