Paypal Appeal Denied - Reasons?

by Ra One
39 replies
Hi all, I just had a paypal limitation appeal denied..I submitted valid documents..My account is 2 months old, and not many transactions have taken place. How do I find out the reason for the denial?

Paypal is not telling me even though I have tried asking many times..Any ideas?
#appeal #denied #paypal #reasons
  • Profile picture of the author EllesBelles
    Did you submit the exact documents they asked for, and did the information completely correlate with what you told Paypal originally?

    They only usually close your account at limitation if they don't believe you are who you say you are.
    Signature
    Social Media Strategist. Digital Storyteller.

    LinkedIn
    Social Media Consultant

    If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5913946].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Ra One
      Originally Posted by EllesBelles View Post

      Did you submit the exact documents they asked for, and did the information completely correlate with what you told Paypal originally?

      They only usually close your account at limitation if they don't believe you are who you say you are.
      I submitted everything they asked for, and answered every question faithfully and honestly..also I do not sell products, I provide web service..Not sure exactly why they rejected my appeal
      Signature

      Random Access - Version 1

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5915112].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Bruce NewMedia
        Originally Posted by Ra One View Post

        I submitted everything they asked for, and answered every question faithfully and honestly..also I do not sell products, I provide web service..Not sure exactly why they rejected my appeal
        That might be it. Would depend on what type of 'web service'..is it SEO?

        Also, in the short 2 months you've had the account did you receive any refunds/disputes/chargebacks?
        _____
        Bruce
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5915409].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Ra One
          Originally Posted by Bruce NewMedia View Post

          That might be it. Would depend on what type of 'web service'..is it SEO?

          Also, in the short 2 months you've had the account did you receive any refunds/disputes/chargebacks?
          _____
          Bruce
          It is a harmless web design service Bruce..I have not had any refunds or disputes at all..
          Signature

          Random Access - Version 1

          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5915675].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author domainscience
        Originally Posted by Ra One View Post

        I submitted everything they asked for, and answered every question faithfully and honestly..also I do not sell products, I provide web service..Not sure exactly why they rejected my appeal
        Reverse it on the credit card.


        HowToSuePayPal.com
        Signature

        CandlePrize.com

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9071292].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author prian
    If they close your account, they won't tell you the exact reason of it.
    However, always read the limitations details and act based on that. It won't be good if you provide so much document but you don't answer the exact question from them.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5914063].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author WillR
    Good luck. Getting that type of information out of Paypal can be difficult at the best of times and they don't have to tell you anything more than they don't want to do business with you any further.

    It may be to do with a product you are selling.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5914131].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Kelly Verge
    A: Call them on the phone.

    B: Don't expect to get any answers from the first level support. Ask to speak with someone in the account limitation (security? can't remember exactly what they call it) department.

    The second-tier support in the limitation department tends to be helpful, willing and able to give answers.

    I've had a handful of limitations over the years, and by speaking with the right people, it's always been resolved easily. Of course, my business is kosher.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5914925].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author domainscience
      Originally Posted by Kelly Verge View Post

      A: Call them on the phone.

      B: Don't expect to get any answers from the first level support. Ask to speak with someone in the account limitation (security? can't remember exactly what they call it) department.

      The second-tier support in the limitation department tends to be helpful, willing and able to give answers.

      I've had a handful of limitations over the years, and by speaking with the right people, it's always been resolved easily. Of course, my business is kosher.
      No matter.
      Paypal supervisors are can't do anything. They are programmed to listen to you yell at them. Then that's it.

      Best way is to reverse the credit card.
      Signature

      CandlePrize.com

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9071287].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ericbryant
    Yes, always escalate to higher support levels, be patient, calm and cool and persistent.
    Signature
    www.CoreZero.com
    - Social Media Marketing Strategy & Consulting

    - Custom Wordpress Website Design & Blogs

    - Wordpress Speed Demon? Click Here!

    - Live the life you love... now!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5914961].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author thegotoguy
      Have you completely verified all of your personal credentials in PayPal? You must go through every single step and become verified on all levels.

      Bank Account / Backup Funds (credit card etc)

      Full Name

      SSN or Tax ID

      Address

      Telephone Number (etc)

      I went through the whole thing recently without a hitch and I didn't have any trouble at all with it.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5914989].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author garyv
    I've found over the years that there are some Paypal Terms of Service that are often times misinterpreted by lower level paypal employees. Often times all that is needed is to keep submitting your case to paypal until someone else sees your case. It also helps to know the TOS - to know for sure whether or not you are violating them.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5915045].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author thegotoguy
      Originally Posted by garyv View Post

      I've found over the years that there are some Paypal Terms of Service that are often times misinterpreted by lower level paypal employees. Often times all that is needed is to keep submitting your case to paypal until someone else sees your case. It also helps to know the TOS - to know for sure whether or not you are violating them.
      I know you are probably right. However, I never read the TOS. I know I should, but who really has time for it. I'm full of excuses! lol
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5915073].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author szury
    keep contacting them. they have to tell you what's wrong.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5915088].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author david9
    Banned
    [DELETED]
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5915114].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author PattC
      Hi Ra One:

      Sorry to hear of your troubles with Paypal. When I have a dispute, I always speak to customer service, and so far, they've resolved all my issues. As much as some people don't like Paypal, so many customers pay with that method, it really hurts if you can't use it.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5915264].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author vivi62
    ring them and tell them what you are doing and what information you have sent them,I had a problem some years ago and paypal had not taken account of the information I sent to them so its always worth doing.Hope you get it sorted.
    Regards
    vivi62
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5915580].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author zoomsixx
    They have the worst support imaginable. Good luck getting anywhere with them.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5915934].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author nicheblogger75
      Originally Posted by zoomsixx View Post

      They have the worst support imaginable. Good luck getting anywhere with them.
      I have not found this to be the case at all. I went through a 2 month period a couple of years ago and for some reason they placed several limitations on my account for different reasons. I was glad that they did this one time because it was to verify a charge made on my account. While this can be annoying, it's good to know that they take your account security seriously.

      I ALWAYS call them if my account should be limited. I make several transactions every day with my account whether it be sales or expenses and I cannot afford to wait for their online review process. I have always been able to get the problem rectified in a timely and professional manner when I have called them on the phone. It always resulted in the limitation being lifted right then and there. I believe calling them already tips the scales in your favor because it proves you are willing to speak to them and answer questions about your identity immediately.

      As for the virtual credit cards and bank services, I believe they are still accepted but the verification process is more involved, meaning you will have to fax them a front & back copy of a legal ID and a front & back copy of the card you are using (if the online bank offers you a physical card), as well as anything else they may request, such as a utility bill with your current address. I can say with some certainty that this is where your problems lie, especially if you reside outside of the US or UK. You are much better off having a bank account from an accredited and insured institution. This is more solid proof of your identity. Those online and pre-paid cards can be obtained fraudulently quite easily.

      Also, in many cases PayPal will call you to verify information when you file an online appeal. If you miss that call or don't answer it for some reason, you will most likely lose the appeal. They want to know that they can get in touch with you using the phone number you provided. Again, more proof that you are who you say you are.

      My advice is to call them, and when you do, be calm, collected, and maintain your composure. If you do not get the answers you need from the first customer service rep you speak to, respectfully ask to speak to a supervisor. It's my guess that you will not have to go higher than the second level to find out why your appeal was denied. Remember, they do not have to give you a reason other than to tell you that they have decided not to do business with you. If that is the answer you receive, there is no need going any farther. That's the end of it. If that happens I'm sorry. I know it hurts but it does happen.

      The best thing to do then is to move on and find another way to accept payment. Although PayPal is very popular, there are many other good alternatives. In fact, if you do a search you will find many threads on this forum that will give you the answers you need.

      Best wishes to you.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9055848].message }}
  • Originally Posted by Ra One View Post

    Hi all, I just had a paypal limitation appeal denied..I submitted valid documents..My account is 2 months old, and not many transactions have taken place. How do I find out the reason for the denial?

    Paypal is not telling me even though I have tried asking many times..Any ideas?
    Is it for a service or intangible product? Paypal won't side with you unless you can touch the product.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5915957].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Daniel Evans
      Originally Posted by affiliatecopywriter View Post

      Is it for a service or intangible product? Paypal won't side with you unless you can touch the product.
      PayPal is used for services far and wide.

      In the case of a dispute (which I appreciate this isn't) PayPal side with service vendors in every instance.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9055924].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author thinktwice
    Paypal = Google's empire. They never tell you why, except if you call them.

    Some agent are willing to look at the internal reasons and tell you over the phone. Otherwise, by email, you will always receive irrelevant answers.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5918062].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Regional Warrior
    This may having something to do with what country you are from! I have some mates in Asia you have this problem with Paypal and no luck for them in getting there accounts limited removed.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5918441].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Webgeniuz1
    I`ve had my account limited before. Most common reason is that two accounts or more are operating under the same "Name" or "Address". That was my problem anyhow. Either way; try giving them a call directly and keep insisting to talk to a manager. That is what I did and it got resolved momentarily.
    Signature
    Find what you love and pursue it! You'll be much more successful if you truly enjoy your work!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5918455].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author TimothyDolan
      Originally Posted by Webgeniuz1 View Post

      I`ve had my account limited before. Most common reason is that two accounts or more are operating under the same "Name" or "Address". That was my problem anyhow. Either way; try giving them a call directly and keep insisting to talk to a manager. That is what I did and it got resolved momentarily.
      I would do the same..Could be something to do with cookies (log in 2 accounts on same browser) or proxies as well..
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5919202].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Ra One
    Originally Posted by TimothyDolan View Post

    I would do the same..Could be something to do with cookies (log in 2 accounts on same browser) or proxies as well..
    I am actually using a Virtual Credit Card (since I do not own a real one). Could that be the reason for the denial? Do they permanently ban people for using VCC?
    Signature

    Random Access - Version 1

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5942576].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Arian Surya
      Originally Posted by Ra One View Post

      I am actually using a Virtual Credit Card (since I do not own a real one). Could that be the reason for the denial? Do they permanently ban people for using VCC?
      Can somebody please reply to this question, I also wanted to know, VCC + Paypal still safe for now?
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9055137].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Daniel Evans
      Originally Posted by Ra One View Post

      I am actually using a Virtual Credit Card (since I do not own a real one). Could that be the reason for the denial? Do they permanently ban people for using VCC?
      Given that you are only vending a web design service, this will be the reason.

      PayPal need to be able to refund to cards in the case of disputes. A virtual credit card is a temporary entity so it can be cancelled at the press of a button leaving no source to refund to.

      A credit card (though optional) also services as a basis of identification.

      Those two factors (particurarly the first) pose huge liability.

      I suggest you give them a call. Whilst your ID is true and your product is above board, you should have a strong chance of resolution.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9055940].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author nicheblogger75
        Originally Posted by Daniel Evans View Post

        Given that you are only vending a web design service, this will be the reason.

        PayPal need to be able to refund to cards in the case of disputes. A virtual credit card is a temporary entity so it can be cancelled at the press of a button leaving no source to refund to.

        A credit card (though optional) also services as a basis of identification.

        Those two factors (particurarly the first) pose huge liability.

        I suggest you give them a call. Whilst your ID is true and your product is above board, you should have a strong chance of resolution.
        This is my diagnosis as well. I remember when I was a very green newbie and just starting to mess with Internet Marketing back in 2007, I opened a PayPal account and was not really familiar with how things worked online and so I did not want to give them my banking info. I tried using a pre-paid card and it was indeed accepted but a month or so later my account was limited and this was indeed the problem.

        For me the fix was easy. I spoke to customer service and relayed my hesitation about giving out my bank account info and the customer service rep was very nice and gave me the facts I needed to put my mind at ease. I hung up the phone, submitted my bank account info, and back then you had to wait for two small deposits to be made on your account. Once those were made I entered them and my bank account was accepted. I then called PayPal back and the limitation was lifted right then and there.

        Now, if I'm not mistaken, there are differences between pre-paid credit cards and online banks. I have heard of some marketers using online banks with Paypal such as AccountNow & Payoneer.

        And after doing a little research on this topic, I have learned that withdrawing from PayPal to a pre-paid card may be a big no-no and that PayPal will limit your account upon finding out you have done that.

        Have you made any withdrawals from PayPal to your virtual or pre-paid card?

        If so, then I'm almost 100% sure that is your issue right there.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9056219].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author trustar14
      Originally Posted by Ra One View Post

      I am actually using a Virtual Credit Card (since I do not own a real one). Could that be the reason for the denial? Do they permanently ban people for using VCC?
      No VCC is the reason for limiting your account
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9075916].message }}
  • you should see the case id and communicate with them with that id.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9055286].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author GamerZag
    Originally Posted by Ra One View Post

    Hi all, I just had a paypal limitation appeal denied..I submitted valid documents..My account is 2 months old, and not many transactions have taken place. How do I find out the reason for the denial?

    Paypal is not telling me even though I have tried asking many times..Any ideas?
    Pick up the phone and call Paypal. Easy `nuff.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9055934].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ElainePete
    You can call them at the number you will find on their site. They are very nice and helpful. I had my account suspended, too, and they solved the problem within a couple of days. Good luck!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9067458].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author RobertoM
      Just for your information about CB/PP disputes.
      On Nov 2013 I made a CB product sale payed through PP which had a 60 days guarantee
      Around 110 days after that sale (totally out of guarantee period) the customer asked for a refund.
      Initially the refund requirement had been denied due to existing refunding rules, but after that the customer threatened he would ask for a chargeback and initiate a claim through his bank.
      You know what?: They refunded the payment to the customer almost 60 days after the guarantee was due!
      I begun a dispute for that unheard refund action, but after some emails and phone conversations they concluded accepting the refund saying that they rather prefer to accept the refund request after the guarantee period just to avoid a chargeback and a bank issue that would "affect their prestige".
      Case closed, and the customer even kept the training course.
      Where are the rules???
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9067702].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author serryjw
        EVERYONE...PAYPAL is not a processor, they are a 3rd party. They worry that THEY will lose their position with THEIR bank. Unfortunately, if you want to use PP, deal with it. I went through it for 9 months AND I was doing nothing wrong. I was using PP for MY commission when I sold check guarantee to businesses....I was NOT guaranteeing the checks but I could not get PP to understand this.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9067928].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author domainscience
    I will not trust paypal unless it is for very minimal amounts.
    I paid $190 for a years service and did not even get a full days service.
    The company that I ordered from is as crooked as could be.
    The very same phone number that paypal gives for the company to try to "resolve" the issue is disconnected to this day.(One year later).
    Paypal found in their favor and did not tell me why.

    Luckily, I had paid using my credit card.
    I called the credit card company and they reversed the charge.
    Later on, I listened to a person who had paid for website design services, did not get everything, and paypal refused to reverse anything.

    Don't use paypal unless it is for very minimal purchases, and if you have to, make sure you use your credit card and reverse it that way.

    Also, good luck calling them. They put you on hold for a long time.
    Signature

    CandlePrize.com

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9071282].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author LastWarrior
    Just to let you guys/gals know, Arian Surya pulled this thread out from 2 years ago.

    A bit outdated. Just sayin'.

    LastWarrior
    Signature



    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9071690].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author brutecky
    Who cares why? You should not. They decided they dont want to do business with you. Knowing why is not going to change that. Honestly , its over, move on.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9076368].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author cyberzolo
    PayPal sucks they froze one of my accounts with 300$ in it. I would stop using PayPal but it is better than the rest yet it still sucks bad.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9076769].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author projecz
    In Paypal's defense they did go to war for me when I proved that a credit card had been used to buy services on my site.

    Regretfully we both lost to the Credit Card Company
    Signature
    Auto Post to Twitter and Facebook - This Script will save you MONTHS of marketing effort!!

    http://funtimechat.com - Artificial Intelligent Bots for Marketing ..PM for script.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9076997].message }}

Trending Topics