Selling Articles Questions.

18 replies
For selling articles,

Being expert in one topic is good? Or, should I write about every topic?

If there is one category, and I know that I can dominate it easily because I have enough knowledge about it then should I write only in that category?

Or should I write about everything and put my articles in different categories?

What's the best approach for selling your articles?

And, are there some hot topics/categories in which articles sell the most? What are those categories?
#articles #questions #selling
  • Profile picture of the author travlinguy
    The more versatile you are the more work you'll get. Even so, no one can write about everything. I have about a dozen categories I can write for and won't often go outside of those.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5917649].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Chris Lengley
      Originally Posted by travlinguy View Post

      The more versatile you are the more work you'll get. Even so, no one can write about everything. I have about a dozen categories I can write for and won't often go outside of those.
      I am impressed. But, my problem is I have great knowledge about just one to two topics. That's it. I mean I am deeply involved in those topics, and I know I can create valuable content everytime.

      I can't write about everything.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5921556].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Sandra Martinez
        Originally Posted by Chris Lengley View Post

        I am impressed. But, my problem is I have great knowledge about just one to two topics. That's it. I mean I am deeply involved in those topics, and I know I can create valuable content everytime.

        I can't write about everything.
        If you are an expert in a topic, go for it. Market yourself as expert.

        You might have some trouble up front to create your client´s pool. But later on, you will have it easier, as the clients you will get are usually recurrent.

        There are two types of writers: those who are in love with knowledge and those who are in love with the language. The first group usually become experts in something, the second can write about anything but without much substance. Both are necessary.

        Sandra
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5921582].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Chris Lengley
          Originally Posted by Sandra Martinez View Post

          If you are an expert in a topic, go for it. Market yourself as expert.

          You might have some trouble up front to create your client´s pool. But later on, you will have it easier, as the clients you will get are usually recurrent.

          There are two types of writers: those who are in love with knowledge and those who are in love with the language. The first group usually become experts in something, the second can write about anything but without much substance. Both are necessary.

          Sandra
          That's really helpful. But, is there anyone who's selling articles in only one category successfully?
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5922665].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Joseph Robinson
            Banned
            Originally Posted by Chris Lengley View Post

            That's really helpful. But, is there anyone who's selling articles in only one category successfully?
            I've yet to personally interact with another writer who solely operates in one niche. This internet thing is a massive place though, so you can be sure that someone out there is doing it.

            If you don't have to limit yourself though, why would you really want to? Being well rounded opens up a much larger client pool.
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5924017].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Sandra Martinez
            Originally Posted by Chris Lengley View Post

            That's really helpful. But, is there anyone who's selling articles in only one category successfully?
            It depends on the category. Money related articles can be charged over a hundred bucks the 600 words for example.

            I market myself as technical writer, and specialized in step by step ebooks. At a point was having so much work that developed electromagnetic hypersensitivity which almost took me out of business. Now I am taking it easy and choosing the jobs to do carefully, things I have fun doing.

            I am one of the few around who can read, understand and even find flaws in scientific papers. So my next focus is to move to the health market, writing things that pull information from the medical literature. I did this with the dandelion plr package, the people who read the material loved it and are asking for more.

            So, sometimes you can center on one subject, and some others you can use the skills you developed in a different way.
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5924691].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author John Coutts
        Originally Posted by Chris Lengley View Post

        ... my problem is I have great knowledge about just one to two topics. That's it. I mean I am deeply involved in those topics, and I know I can create valuable content everytime.

        I can't write about everything.
        So, don't try to write about everything. Concentrate on your niche. Become the expert in it, and people will recognize you as such.

        In short - specialize!

        John.
        Signature
        Write System - superior web content
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5925224].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Cali16
          Chris, I agree with John. For one thing, specialists are the ones who can generally charge the most.

          Of course, it also depends on the demand for your particular niche. If there's enough demand, and you are truly an expert (and your writing is top notch) then you can charge a premium for your work. If you're an expert on underwater basket weaving, for example, then you'll probalby have to write on other topics as well - if you want to make any money...

          Also, are you planning to write your articles first and then try to sell them? Or are you looking for potential clients in your niche to hire you to write for them? (Perhaps I missed it, but that wasn't clear to me from your posts.)
          Signature
          If you don't face your fears, the only thing you'll ever see is what's in your comfort zone. ~Anne McClain, astronaut
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5925411].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Chris Lengley
            Originally Posted by Cali16 View Post

            Chris, I agree with John. For one thing, specialists are the ones who can generally charge the most.

            Of course, it also depends on the demand for your particular niche. If there's enough demand, and you are truly an expert (and your writing is top notch) then you can charge a premium for your work. If you're an expert on underwater basket weaving, for example, then you'll probalby have to write on other topics as well - if you want to make any money...

            Also, are you planning to write your articles first and then try to sell them? Or are you looking for potential clients in your niche to hire you to write for them? (Perhaps I missed it, but that wasn't clear to me from your posts.)
            Thank you Cali. Actually, I am planning to write articles first. I want to try constant-content etc.

            Is it a good idea if I write only in one to two niches? It's because I read plenty of books and I consider myself an expert in those niches. That's why I am asking this question.

            What's your advice now?
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5925721].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Ross Cohen
    It's not about being able to write about the topic - I can make stuff up as I go along - it's about having a deep knowledge on the subject that will make what you write stand out and be of a much higher quality than what's already out. For as many topics as you can do that for, I'd say go for it. See what sticks.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5921570].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author stephenwaldo
    Originally Posted by Sandra Martinez View Post

    If you are an expert in a topic, go for it. Market yourself as expert.

    You might have some trouble up front to create your client´s pool. But later on, you will have it easier, as the clients you will get are usually recurrent.
    I think you should go for it as well...Who knows? Nobody is marketing themselves that way at the moment, at least in WF, so it could turn turn out to work very well for you. I'd definitely be curious to see what happens.

    I'd imagine that if you truly are an expert you won't have trouble finding and keeping work. If you're good, then once you get a few clients you'll also start getting referrals, repeat orders, etc...All that good stuff.

    There are two types of writers: those who are in love with knowledge and those who are in love with the language. The first group usually become experts in something, the second can write about anything but without much substance. Both are necessary.
    Ooooh, I love that...But what about the writers who love presenting knowledge with words? I think that a big part of being a good writer, at least a good FREELANCE writer, is being able to become an expert on a subject. Of course this doesn't apply to all freelance writers (OP being a prime example), but I myself feel that I'd qualify under either of those categories (except the thin content part!).

    Just sayin'
    Signature
    Need an awesome ghostwriter to fill in for you?

    Check out StephenWaldo.com
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5922137].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Sandra Martinez
      Originally Posted by stephenwaldo View Post


      Ooooh, I love that...But what about the writers who love presenting knowledge with words? I think that a big part of being a good writer, at least a good FREELANCE writer, is being able to become an expert on a subject. Of course this doesn't apply to all freelance writers (OP being a prime example), but I myself feel that I'd qualify under either of those categories (except the thin content part!).

      Just sayin'
      We are not exactly talking about the same. Anyone who chooses to work as a writer has the writer´s bug. But depending on the formation, you will notice different ways to focus.

      I tend to write ebooks packed with information and zero fluff. They are easy to follow and even fun, but you can see the structure.

      I was not talking about thin writers, that is another issue altogether. I was talking about people in love with the language; someone who can take a simple subject and write two pages with content that can be summarized in one line. Most philosophical books are like this, I woudln´t call them thin.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5924784].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Chris Lengley
        Originally Posted by Sandra Martinez View Post

        It depends on the category. Money related articles can be charged over a hundred bucks the 600 words for example.

        I market myself as technical writer, and specialized in step by step ebooks. At a point was having so much work that developed electromagnetic hypersensitivity which almost took me out of business. Now I am taking it easy and choosing the jobs to do carefully, things I have fun doing.

        I am one of the few around who can read, understand and even find flaws in scientific papers. So my next focus is to move to the health market, writing things that pull information from the medical literature. I did this with the dandelion plr package, the people who read the material loved it and are asking for more.

        So, sometimes you can center on one subject, and some others you can use the skills you developed in a different way.
        Thank you so much. Seriously, that's so helpful.

        Originally Posted by Sandra Martinez View Post

        I was talking about people in love with the language; someone who can take a simple subject and write two pages with content that can be summarized in one line. Most philosophical books are like this, I woudln´t call them thin.
        Exactly, very strong point and very helpful for me.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5925070].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author tylamro
    I am sure there is a market for it but there are so many content websites out there so it makes it a lot more difficult.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5922698].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Tadresources
    The more you know about a specific topic, the more money you'll be able to command. I think it's a smart idea to shy away from being a "jack of all trades" and knowing just a little about everything. Choose three or four different topics on which to excel at (and make sure you can prove it) and focus on those.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5924040].message }}

Trending Topics