People who unsubscribe from the first email

by Eduard
15 replies
Here's the thing...

When a person subscribes to my newsletter, they get access to a free video with some tips and advice. The video is about 21 minutes long, 14 of which is the free advice followed by a 7 min. pitch.

The free advice in the video is designed to provide value, build credibility and create desire for the product I pitch, or at least that's what I try to achieve with it.

Here's where it gets complicated...

According to my Aweber stats, about 30% of all unsubscribers unsubscribe after the first email they receive from me, the one with the link to the free video.

I've been asking my unsubscribers for feedback on why they unsubscribe and some (not many, but definitely a few) said they didn't like the fact I pitched them in the video, and they basically just saw the video as one big pitch.

At the same, this first email with the link to the video generates far more sales than any other follow-up email.

So my question is: Should I worry about driving away these subscribers from the first email, or are they people who wouldn't buy in the first place?

Your feedback is very much appreciated,

Eduard
#email #people #unsubscribe
  • Profile picture of the author danr62
    Some people don't like videos. I don't. I like to read stuff and not annoy people around me with the audio from videos. So I would be unsubscribing too.

    So, if you are going to be using a lot of videos these people are not in your target audience.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5924589].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author damasgate
    It's hard to say. There are a lot of freebie seekers definitely and that's OK.

    a 30% unsub rate is pretty high though.

    Why not try giving a sort of "Thank you" email and then make the second follow up email a video.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5924614].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Eduard
      Originally Posted by damasgate View Post

      It's hard to say. There are a lot of freebie seekers definitely and that's OK.

      a 30% unsub rate is pretty high though.

      Why not try giving a sort of "Thank you" email and then make the second follow up email a video.
      Oh, let me clarify: the unsubscribe rate is not 30%. It's 30% of all unsubscribers that unsubscribe at this first email they receive containing the link to the free video. The other 70% unsubscribe later, after receiving several emails from me.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5924758].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Joseph Robinson
    Banned
    Like some said, they don't like being pitched to right off the bat. Yet you say this is an offer that converts very well. You have to decide if pleasing those disgruntled readers will be more profitable than leaving things as is. I'd guess it is probably not, so let them go. There are also going to be those subscribers who get the free s*** and book. Nothing to do about that so don't sweat it.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5924621].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author officer_iron
    You could change it up and not pitch in the first video. Compare the results from that to the results from your current way. Whichever is more profitable, go that route.
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5924644].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Ken Leatherman
    You have to remember that you can't please everybody all the time.

    However if your video is producing sales your obviously doing something right.

    One thing you might consider is give your subscribers the choice of watching the video or reading the content you have for them. In other words give them a PDF with the valuable info with a link to the video in the PDF. See how that works for converting sales.

    Run a test between the 2 and see which one lowers the unsubscribes while yet still producing sales.

    Ken
    Signature

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5924783].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Shaun OReilly
      Some people will unsubscribe immediately after the first
      e-mail - no matter what you do.

      However, you may be losing some people unnecessarily
      because of your current approach... therefore take a step
      back and look at your process through the eyes of a new
      subscriber.

      Did you make them an irresistible offer that was a great deal
      from their point of view?

      Also, look at your first video and give an honest assessment
      of your sales presentation. Was it a smooth transition or did
      you just abrubtly move from tips mode to pitch mode? Is it
      obvious that you want to help the prospect or do you appear
      to just be interested in making the sale?

      Test out two different presentations to see which leads to
      the most purchases in the long run.

      It's important to convert new subscribers into buyers quickly
      of course. Just make sure that you use good salesmanship so
      that the prospect realizes that you have their best interests
      at heart.

      Dedicated to mutual success,

      Shaun
      Signature

      .

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5924845].message }}
      • Originally Posted by Shaun OReilly View Post


        Did you make them an irresistible offer that was a great deal
        from their point of view?

        Exactly--look at the overall offer first. The offer is the most important thing.

        Don't worry about unsubscribes. It's better to polarize your list, anyway. Keep the fans, shed the hangers-on.
        Signature
        Marketing is not a battle of products. It is a battle of perceptions.
        - Jack Trout
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5925983].message }}
  • Originally Posted by Eduard View Post

    According to my Aweber stats, about 30% of all unsubscribers unsubscribe after the first email they receive from me,
    I've got around the same stats. Honestly, I wouldn't worry about it. If they unsubscribe they are doing you a favour in that they most likely wouldn't have bought anything from you anyway.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5924977].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Eduard
      Originally Posted by TBInternetMarketing View Post

      I've got around the same stats. Honestly, I wouldn't worry about it. If they unsubscribe they are doing you a favour in that they most likely wouldn't have bought anything from you anyway.
      That's comforting to know
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5925549].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Heathj
        I try and over deliver with my first two emails, with free eBooks. Then on the third email I go for the subtle sale, sending my list to a sales page.

        I approach it by not trying to sell them anything EVER. I am their friend and am giving them the advice and information they came online searching for. And then when the time is right, I introduce a product to them that they absolutely need because it will make their life better.

        I'm not selling it to them, I'm just a friend pointing out a great product that they cant live without.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5925956].message }}
  • I wouldn't worry not everything is for everyone, find the one for who it's for
    Signature
    soon people... Relax...
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5925092].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Cali16
    Originally Posted by Eduard View Post

    The video is about 21 minutes long, 14 of which is the free advice followed by a 7 min. pitch.

    As several others have already said, some people just want the free stuff and will never buy from you.

    However, you state that 7 minutes (1/3!) of your video is a sales pitch. That's a pretty big chunk of the video and may be why you're losing so many customers. They signed up to watch a video offering some advice and tips, not a lengthy sales pitch ("lengthy" is relative here). Perhaps you could try shortening the amount of time you spend pitching your offer to only 1 or 2 minutes instead of 7 and see if that helps decrease the number of people who quickly unsubscribe.
    Signature
    If you don't face your fears, the only thing you'll ever see is what's in your comfort zone. ~Anne McClain, astronaut
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5925140].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author zaco
    Do you have stats of how many people watched the video? the first question you should ask did, they unsubscribe because it was a video or because of the video content.. you need to do a split testing.. try changing the video and offer people to read the content if possible..

    Also why are you sending them a video and trying to sell them from the first email? you need to offer them something for free..I would unsubscribe because I signed up for something promising not for a video that has alot of sales pitches.

    The only way to know it is put yourself in their shoes! or ask a friend to review your video.. we tend to create things that we think are perfect but its perfect because we did it and we think its the best.. others might seem to dislike it.. you need an advice from people around you..a real advice not an advice to make you feel good because they are shy to tell u its not that good..
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5925397].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Des Lau
    ..well, 21 mins long for the first video I would say is your first mistake.

    Also a sales pitch would probably drive me away as well.

    I would build the relationship first and not even think about a sales pitch until at least the 4th-5th email
    Signature
    -----------------------------

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5925980].message }}

Trending Topics