Are STUPID People The Best Marketers?

104 replies
I know some really intelligent sorts, who can completely take apart an entire niche to understand it on a profound level. YET, these same people often become stuck in their internet marketing endeavours, just because of that fact.

They over-think a lot of things, or exclude many other things, because of how they understand their consumers, and the niche, and everything else therein.

It's funny, because I often see others, who may not have the greatest product, or may not know a heck of a lot... or who simply put, are just plain stupid with whatever it is they are doing, or are selling, or have created; doing well!

So are "stupid" people the best marketers, because they don't overthink, and just do-do-do?

Or are intelligent people the best marketers, because they think of every little detail, and don't act until they are sure that it will work the way it should?
#marketers #people #stupid
  • Profile picture of the author Eric Seiler
    Irrational belief in oneself can be looked at as stupid, or as a key ingredient to success. Sometime people do over-think and get "paralysis through analysis" but generally speaking the more informed you are the better. Sometimes it pays to put the blinders on and just "do it" however.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5939303].message }}
  • Reminds me of a story...

    Homer Thadpucker was drivin his ole truck down Tooterville Ferry Road the other day and he figgured he would have himself a pinch tween his cheek and gum. Well, he got distracted while he was gettin his chew and he runned right into the back of a car what had stopped cause the driver had seen some good vittles on the side of the road.

    Homer got out of the truck to see if that fellar was okay and all of a sudden the car door flew open and one of them little folks jumped out. He looked up at Homer with his hands on his hips and he angrily said, "I AM NOT HAPPY!"

    Well, Homer looked down at that little fellar and asked, "Well then which one are you?"

    Now accordin to your post, ole Homer would make one fine interneet marketeer wouldn't he?
    Signature
    Thaddaeus T. Hogg, The Hillbilly Marketeer
    http://www.hillbillymarketer.com
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5939367].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author 1Constant
      Originally Posted by Thaddaeus T. Hogg View Post

      Reminds me of a story...

      Homer Thadpucker was drivin his ole truck down Tooterville Ferry Road the other day and he figgured he would have himself a pinch tween his cheek and gum. Well, he got distracted while he was gettin his chew and he runned right into the back of a car what had stopped cause the driver had seen some good vittles on the side of the road.

      Homer got out of the truck to see if that fellar was okay and all of a sudden the car door flew open and one of them little folks jumped out. He looked up at Homer with his hands on his hips and he angrily said, "I AM NOT HAPPY!"

      Well, Homer looked down at that little fellar and asked, "Well then which one are you?"

      Now accordin to your post, ole Homer would make one fine interneet marketeer wouldn't he?
      Originally Posted by Thaddaeus T. Hogg View Post

      Reminds me of a story...

      Homer Thadpucker was drivin his ole truck down Tooterville Ferry Road the other day and he figgured he would have himself a pinch tween his cheek and gum. Well, he got distracted while he was gettin his chew and he runned right into the back of a car what had stopped cause the driver had seen some good vittles on the side of the road.

      Homer got out of the truck to see if that fellar was okay and all of a sudden the car door flew open and one of them little folks jumped out. He looked up at Homer with his hands on his hips and he angrily said, "I AM NOT HAPPY!"

      Well, Homer looked down at that little fellar and asked, "Well then which one are you?"

      Now accordin to your post, ole Homer would make one fine interneet marketeer wouldn't he?
      Unless he was talkin to Grumpy, who is clearly NOT Happy, and is now especially pissed because Homer was making him, Happy and the other 4 little kin folk late hi-hoing to see their missus, Snow White, who hates to be kept waiting.

      I am not a fan of dualistic thinking (i.e., smart-stupid, happy-sad, etc.). We are far too complex an animal to be reduced to simplistic labels that fail to capture the totality of our being. We all make "smart"
      and "stupid" choices. We are all on an evolutionary process and "stupid" choices can lead to interesting life redirects. Jeremy Schumacher writes some interesting posts about the first few years that he floundered in IM doing things that made no money at all but learning as he went on to build massive financial worth and arguably become one of the most successful internet marketers ever. (He sits on the boards of Google, Ebay, Amazon,etc). People thought he was stupid then and considered him a failure for beating what they thought was a dead horse.

      Education does NOT equate to intelligence nor does a lack of it equate to stupidity. While there is some correlation, I've long ago let go of demeaning the uneducated nor exalting the educated. Consider George Bush "graduated" from Yale and I rest my case.

      We are all born with different gifts and, often, aptitudes lead to interests to skills to finding their power. The current view on intelligence is that there are many types. I believe that they have identified 7 types, i.e. emotional, physical, spatial-relations, etc., over and above just intelligence quotient (IQ). I have friends that are highly successful because they are so emotionally sophisticated and were able to parlay that aptitude into interest/skill/power. They have no use for academics or anything that smacks of elite thinking, but are quite successful nonetheless in professions that favor E.Q. over I.Q. Similarly, I know a few artists that never read, don't bother with mass conscious thinking and are brilliant (and successful) in evolving their artistic gifts. They see the world very differently and I'm always a better for going down their rabbit hole and coming up the other side with a rebooted consciousness.

      I tend to see people on a continuum. As far as IM is concerned, there are so many variations on the theme, that there's room at the banquet table for all of us to enjoy. If we were to check our egos and arrogance at the door, we'd probably learn a few fine things even from people that we esteem to be different.

      We'd probably have a whole lot more fun too.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5965485].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author catcat
        I think that it is all a matter of persistence.

        The stupid will eventually stumble across something that works and the smart will just find it faster. That's what makes the Internet so incredible!

        Cathy
        Signature
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5965524].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author JoshDylan
    I don't think of them as stupid people, I look at them as reckless people. If you can be a little reckless with your marketing strategies, there is a good chance you will make a good amount of money off what ever you are doing.
    Signature

    - Jay - Business Advisor

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5939378].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Emily B
      Originally Posted by JoshDylan View Post

      I don't think of them as stupid people, I look at them as reckless people. If you can be a little reckless with your marketing strategies, there is a good chance you will make a good amount of money off what ever you are doing.
      I agree, reckless is a better word.

      Getting "stuck" and overanalysing something isn't necessarily the characteristic of a smart person. It may just mean they're less willing to take potentially harmful risks.
      Signature

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5939465].message }}
  • No, not really.

    Look at the top people in internet marketing. Frank Kern, Eben Pagan, Mike Filsaime, etc. They are all visibly more articulate than the average person, and probably more intelligent too.

    I would say that some dumb people can get some intitial success with internet marketing, but they're also more prone to getting busted by the FTC or slapped by Google.

    I do think it helps to be a little on the dumb side if you're involved in MLM though...
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5939433].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author nicholasb
    all of my businesses are very successful in very short periods of time, I have an 8th grade education.

    Society may deem me as stupid, but I am very educated, and my ability to turn huge profits with little amounts of money is my specialty.

    I do have to agree that it is because I never over think any thing, my plans when approaching an opportunity are vague at best. Most of the time scribbled down on a napkin or the back of a receipt that has been in my pocket for days.

    I do follow my feelings and intuition mainly over my conscious mind. The conscious mind can often lead you into making bad decisions, especially when you begin to over analyze everything. Worrying about what could happen and trying to follow a very detailed plan.

    You need to be flexible and easily compatible to changes in plans which WILL happen, which was another advantage of growing up in an un-stable environment.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5939456].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author rmolina88
    I'm probably the best marketer ever!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5939477].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author capitalalchemy
      I think that over-analyzing is dooming yourself. I once spent a good two months studying a niche so that I could understand the people inside and out. When it came game time, I started building a list, and I hit a bunch of nerves because I dug TOO deep with what I knew about them and their feelings. It all went wrong and all of the hard work that I had invested in that didn't go anywhere.

      I was trying to convey that I understood their concerns, but I ended up going too far without realizing it.

      I think following the K.I.S.S. (Keep It Simple Stupid) is the ticket. I notice some of the most profitable people learn just enough to be dangerous about something and then keep their conversation (either through list or directly on their site) simple.

      On the other hand, I do see people who obviously are just writing and you can tell that they really don't know what they are talking about....wait, am I making this mistake now?
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5939544].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author rooze
    Maybe it's a bit like the tortoise and the hare fable.

    The stupid hare bolts out of the gate and starts making a few bucks here and there then gets side-tracked on some 'hare-brained' scheme, whilst the slow and methodical tortoise takes a bit longer to get his sh@t into gear, but eventually passes the hare and just keeps on going, and going and going.......[add whatever ending you want].
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5939575].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Sandra Martinez
      I don´t completely agree with this. I think it is more related with the ability to take risks, make mistakes and fail with dignity.

      Intelligent people are not the ones who get frozen, but people who are afraid of failing.

      A good entrepreneur will not be afraid of hitting the wall again and again until making a little whole he can keep digging to go through.

      But if the person is not intelligent, he will not be able to see the seeds of success, will not be able to replicate, diversify and scale. So there is a roof.

      All the successful marketers I have personally met are very intelligent, but still have this playful attitude, this thing of wanting to play and have fun.

      Just my 0.02 cents...

      Sandra
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5939654].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Eric Seiler
        Yikes. There are a lot of people oversimplifying why people get decision paralysis.

        • Sometimes they don't trust their gut.
        • Sometimes they lack confidence.
        • Sometimes they honestly don't see a 'good' option thus stall for time until a better idea is formed.
        • Sometimes they are just slow.
        • Sometimes people just aren't leaders.

        The list could go on and on. If you've ever worked around academics, trust me, you'll find some brilliant people who just aren't quick decision-makers.

        The same is true in many other areas. Politicians often don't set a high bar for what people consider to be traditional intelligence, but they know how to make decisions and get buy in (some would call that emotional intelligence).

        Stephen Hawking can tell you his theories on the universe, but that doesn't make him a prime candidate as the CEO of a fortune 500 company (all disabilities aside).
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5939744].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author scenicrearview
    I would wager to say that the people you refer to as stupid are more than likely just extremely impulsive. I believee that shows in their work. Never forget that all great salesmen understand impulse and how to use it.

    Its possible that impulsive people naturally appeal to impulsive people and they just happen to be the best customers
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5939613].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author PowerEdge
      Originally Posted by scenicrearview View Post

      I would wager to say that the people you refer to as stupid are more than likely just extremely impulsive. I believee that shows in their work. Never forget that all great salesmen understand impulse and how to use it.

      Its possible that impulsive people naturally appeal to impulsive people and they just happen to be the best customers
      Keep in mind, the dictionary definition of "stupid" refers to those who lack common sense, and/or intelligence. The common sense part, would be the most appropriate here, as intelligence can be irrelevant to one's ability to even do something... but common sense can be relevant to HOW they do it.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5939640].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Paul Parkhouse
    I suppose the key is to be smart...but not TOO smart. A lot of the time people tend to "out-think" themselves.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5940012].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author koz
    Intelligent people generally get stuck on learning.

    I wish you said silly people as silly actually comes from an old word - Selig I think. Don't quote the spelling, it means smart!

    What you really mean is horse sence. If I know I buy at $1 and sell for $2 I don't have to be smart, I just have to act. Horse sense is more important than smart or stupid as you put it!
    Signature
    500 Word Articles - www.ArticlesOnline.xyz

    Bliss++ Timer Software - Plan SEO - Manage Clients, Build Websites, Do affiliate marketing, manage 1 or 10,000 people!

    Hot New Release For 2016 - Earn $23.50 Per Sale TODAY!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5940037].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author The Marketeer
    I think the answer is no one's perfect. No one has all the answers. We're always learning something new.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5940133].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Jeff Schuman
    I don't know about stupid. Forest Gump said "stupid is as stupid does" and look how he turned out. :-) I would say average intelligence, combined with above average work ethic is a good combination for Internet marketing success.
    Signature
    Jeff Schuman - Blog Writer For Hire! Buy affordable, quality niche blog articles. Fast turnaround.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5940149].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Ricochet
    Stupid people is probably a little OTT...
    BUT, the key ingredient is to focus on one goal at a time.. That certainly doesn't take a genius to work out..
    I was one for overthinking things and striving for perfection as well as multitasking.
    This leads to less productivity.
    Intelligence doesn't counteract, ambition or the ability to adapt to new challenges and goals.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5940155].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author TommyG
    There are different versions of smart. Books smarts, street smarts and people smarts. You could fail a 3rd grade SAT test and yet sell ketchup popsicles to a woman in white gloves. The ability to read people and read your target audience is the key.

    Frank Kern is a good example. He doesn't appear smart in the traditional sense but he can read people and can read his target audience and that's what sells. In that aspect he's a genius.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5940229].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author sscot
    STUPID People AREN'T The Best Marketers? and never. Their success is nothing more than luck and the luck is short term. DON'T BE A ONE OF THEM.
    Signature



    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5940316].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author shoaib1
    I know some really intelligent sorts, who can completely take apart an entire niche to understand it on a profound level. I See Dumb People! ... The top marketers appeal to the masses and often throw their reputation out the window.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5940339].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author NonViolence
    Hmm then I must be the stupid one .
    I earned $6000 on luck in 1 month and now I earn nothing
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5940348].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author sscot
      Originally Posted by NonViolence View Post

      Hmm then I must be the stupid one .
      I earned $6000 on luck in 1 month and now I earn nothing
      Are you waiting for 2nd luck?
      Signature



      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5940483].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Val Wilson
    Maybe it's the wrong terminology to say 'stupid' or 'intelligent' - but there is no doubt that successful people are 'doers'. There is nothing wrong with thinking, but if you do nothing but think and never actually do... well, let's just say success is unlikely.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5940402].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Jonathan Joseph
    Interesting post, sometimes we can overwhelmed -- the fact is, avoid over-analyzing and start DOING one thing at a time. Take it one step at a time, in order to see the next two.
    Signature

    Jon

    "Success comes when people act together; failure tends to happen alone." -- Deepak Chopra

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5940408].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Wilcox
    Originally Posted by PowerEdge View Post

    I know some really intelligent sorts, who can completely take apart an entire niche to understand it on a profound level. YET, these same people often become stuck in their internet marketing endeavours, just because of that fact.

    They over-think a lot of things, or exclude many other things, because of how they understand their consumers, and the niche, and everything else therein.

    It's funny, because I often see others, who may not have the greatest product, or may not know a heck of a lot... or who simply put, are just plain stupid with whatever it is they are doing, or are selling, or have created; doing well!

    So are "stupid" people the best marketers, because they don't overthink, and just do-do-do?

    Or are intelligent people the best marketers, because they think of every little detail, and don't act until they are sure that it will work the way it should?
    I feel like I know who your talking about. The funny thing is, its probably not the same person. Bringing me to my main point. I have known some VERY stupid marketers. Just plain stupid. Cant spell right, has no idea what there selling, in it for the money, and are just plain dumb. Literally, just absolutely oblivious to the world, and dumb.

    This guy makes hundreds of thousands a year.

    What the hell right?
    Signature

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5940514].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Daniel Evans
      Originally Posted by Wilcox View Post

      I feel like I know who your talking about. I have known some VERY stupid marketers. Just plain stupid. Cant spell right, has no idea what there selling,
      You really need to be ultra careful when talking of spelling.

      Daniel
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5959602].message }}
      • The world is full of way more stupid people than smart ones.

        Therefore the chances of a success being filled by a lucky stupid person are far greater than a smart person with average luck.

        Thus there are a lot of successful organizations started by lucky stupid people.

        However the ratio of organizations run by smart vs stupid people is way out of sync with the number of smart vs stupid people in the world.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9242990].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Ernie Mitchell
    I think success in IM has more to do with tenacity than intelligence.

    I certainly wouldn't take solace in thoughts that stupid people are more prone to be successful.

    Its one thing to be successful and altogether another to remain successful.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5940565].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author JohnMcCabe
    It depends on how you define "stupid."

    Too many people define it by a lack of formal education, or an inability to pull arcane bits of trivia from their brains on cue (ala Jeopardy).

    Seems to me the person you described - finding something that had a chance to succeed and taking action to find out - is reasonably smart. Both the heedless, hell-for-leather reckless person who depends on throwing mud against the wall and the perfectionist who wants to be certain that something will work before doing anything are trending toward 'stupid' in the Gumpian sense of the word...
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5940628].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Tadresources
    I'm with you about people who over-think things, but I don't know if people who don't are less intelligent or intelligent like a fox lol.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5940837].message }}
  • I noticed some of the most respected and educated people have a very hard time when they decide to start their business and total "losers" dropouts do fantastic. This is not a general rule but I have seen this so many times.
    Signature
    soon people... Relax...
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5940848].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author seotothecore
    if stupid means creative, then yes, but then those people have to be able to pay smart people to put the plans into action
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5940911].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author cjreynolds
      Duuuhhh.... Huh?? What that you say? You use big words.
      Signature

      I just added this sig so I can refer to it in my posts...

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5940937].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author PowerEdge
      Originally Posted by seotothecore View Post

      if stupid means creative, then yes, but then those people have to be able to pay smart people to put the plans into action
      See, but a "stupid" or dumb person, may never know that they can't do it... so they DO it anyway too; and part of that is the reason for their success if any is met.

      I am hearing some people talk about "dumb luck"; but take into account as well, the fact that "stupid" people, do and do... without thinking about whether or not it could even be done, they push ahead anyway, and make it happen regardless of whatever walls are in the way. They get around them.

      So even though they are not weighing out exactly how to do it all, and if it's absolutely going to fail, and every other little detail about their consumers and business either... part of the lack of that maybe keeps them from stopping and working on every "dumb" little thing too (distractions)...

      Also, are they really so stupid, if they know they should be getting others to do the job, instead of themselves? Not knowing how to do something, and admitting it... to me, would mean a recognition of a potential problem, which in turn means the person considers outcomes, and acts based on those findings.

      Whereas, the other form of people I am talking about, could give a damn about such things... they just want the result, no matter what method they need to use to get it.

      There's a saying that for some reason, I want to put in here: "if you throw enough **** against the wall, some of it is bound to stick".

      Perhaps the difference, I am seeing... the ones who throw it all up there; versus the ones who learn what actually sticks, so they don't have to throw it; versus the ones who know what sticks, but can't get a hold of the sticky stuff.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5941070].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author paulie123
    I would call them stupid. I would say some our the "Victory of the Uncluttered Mind!"
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5941091].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author celente
    I am dumb as a post, I mean like forrest gump dumb. LOL.....my wife will confirm.....LOL however I do take action every day and have outsourced my business to 90% capacity.

    So if this forrest gump can do it, anyone can really.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5941101].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author David Sneen
    Copywriting is a great skill. I imagine the best marketers would be those who can write well; they are good with words.

    This would seem to indicate that good marketers would be above average in intelligence, although I would not be surprised if the correlation is weak.
    Signature
    David Sneen
    It's what you do when no one is watching
    that determines what you will be able to
    do when everyone is watching.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5941102].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author makingiants
    Sometimes it just takes more heart than talent, or brains.
    Sometimes, thinking folks face an analysis of paralysis.

    Vince aka makingiants
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5941117].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Adme
    sometimes people have good instincts, which really doesn't take brains.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5941126].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Black Hat Cat
    Banned
    Are STUPID People The Best Marketers?
    Don't know about that, but they're the best customers because they'll buy anything.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5941399].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author gasman
    That's an interesting way to look at it I guess . I don't think it's stupid people who are the best internet marketers, I would say it's smart people who have the discipline to take action and not over think things, but have the brain needed when the thinking needs to be done. I do sometimes think that stupidity really is bliss in a lot of cases because they don't over think things though!
    Signature
    READY SET COMEDY PODCAST

    Bored? Need a laugh? Find us on iTunes or wherever you listen to podcasts.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5941523].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author BurtL
    When I was in school my motto was:

    A students make the grades
    B students make the friends
    C students make the money

    I opted to be a C student.
    Signature

    Aphasia: Loss of Language NOT Intelligence.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5941738].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author MatthewNeer
    I would call the action takers the intelligent ones and the peeps who get hung on the details the stupid ones... #JustSayin...
    Signature
    Three (3) Income Streams DFY
    New FREE Website Builds Your List
    And Earns From 3 Income Streams
    http://ListLeverage.com
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5941750].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Adrian Int
    Originally Posted by Ken_Caudill View Post

    Another silly variation of "If you're so smart, how come ya ain't rich?"

    Ho hum.
    Well put, Ken.

    To be successful you need to understand what you're trying to accomplish. Sometimes those who rush into things get lucky and stumble into success - and most of the time they don't.

    Also, the reason that the pseudo-celebrities mentioned above do well is partially because they do speak well. It's a lot easier to build "know like and trust" factor when people can hear your voice and see your face.


    Cheers,
    -Adrian
    Signature
    ATTENTION: Improve your list building. Free report and mp3
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5941820].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author ExRat
      Hi PowerEdge,

      So are "stupid" people the best marketers, because they don't overthink, and just do-do-do?

      Or are intelligent people the best marketers, because they think of every little detail, and don't act until they are sure that it will work the way it should?
      I think that it would be a bit too much of an all-encompassing blanket statement to arrive at either conclusion as a rule and therefore the question requires slightly deeper analysis.

      Some less intelligent people will do better than some more intelligent people because of the reason you have given.

      Conversely, some more intelligent people will do better than some less intelligent people purely because they have thought things through more thoroughly.

      Perhaps something that confuses this issue is that on the internet, one can gain an advantage by using the ability to remain anonymous or use pseudonyms to create sock puppets or indulge in other underhand behaviour with the anonymity used as a form of conscience-protection that enables this behaviour.

      Sometimes the use of these tactics is very cleverly done, but the marketing is rushed, raw and heavy-handed (because the marketer chooses quantity over quality) which gives the impression of stupidity leading to success.

      On the internet, some very intelligent,subtle and refined marketing campaigns remain somewhat 'in the wilderness' because they are outgunned by less subtle marketing which uses deceptive but eye-catching, over-hyped, in-yer-face mass marketing which gains mass exposure. It might get rejected instantly by 99% of prospects, but if the remaining 1% who are sold on it is a huge number of people, that can equal marketing success.

      Upon initial examination, the sales material/marketing campaign might not look so clever in terms of it's brashness and lack of subtlety and also because of the negative publicity it can create.

      But viewed from a different perspective, if it outguns the cultured approach through brute force, mass exposure (whether negative or positive) and sales made through the 'curiosity factor' ("is the product really as horrible as the marketing? Everyone's talking about it, I have to know...") coupled with the possibility that if it bombs horribly on one occasion, the pseudonym disappears and the marketer creates a new unblemished one - is it really stupidity or is it actually genius?

      It's the old question - how valuable is a long term good reputation online in markets with short memories (fast turnover of customer base) plus good and bad feedback as standard for sellers regardless of whether they are actually good or bad, versus the ability to be in two or more places at once with multiple identities and the ability to kill off identities, create new ones quickly and give yourself testimonials while giving the competition bad feedback? (Or in the same place multiple times selling multiple versions of the same thing, but with different covers, to the same people)?

      The answer to that question also depends on the type of person asking it. A psychopath just needs to simply answer that question, whereas the average person needs to make sure that they aren't going to get in the way of themselves by setting out on a course that they cannot justify to themselves in the long run.

      Overall, 'stupid people' probably aren't the best marketers. But more intelligent people with too much of a powerful conscience or sense of social responsibility can easily be outgunned on the internet by those who are willing to lie continually, rip off the hard work of others and adopt multiple personalities for the purpose of shilling and sock-puppetry, even if they're not 'a PHD' - which can often give the impression that 'stupid people' have an advantage, or are 'better marketers.'

      It's not all about 'just do-do-do'. Just a little thought can go a long way. But there are probably many intelligent people stuck in no man's land and continual paralysis because on the internet, as well as in the offline upper echelons currently, it may appear that stupidness is a valuable asset. But I believe that it's more complex than that and that most of those paralysed people are being forced to question whether their conscience is getting in their way, not their intelligence.

      Quick example, generalising massively -

      In the IM market, people tend to buy junk because non-junk usually comes packaged with something very unpopular - hard work.

      Or alternatively - people buy BS because the truth doesn't sell - it's not so much fun to fantasise about hard work, persistence and ingenuity as it is to fantasise about time-freedom, endless cocktails, white sandy beaches, roaring Ferraris and constantly being surrounded by scantily-clad members of the opposite sex.
      Signature


      Roger Davis

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5942941].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author joergHaus
    Nothing to do with intelligence. Nothing to do with luck either. It's all in your mind, your subconscious mind.

    "I do follow my feelings and intuition mainly over my conscious mind. The conscious mind can often lead you into making bad decisions, especially when you begin to over analyze everything. Worrying about what could happen and trying to follow a very detailed plan."

    Hallelujah to that!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5943089].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author derprinz
    luck doesn't exist !
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5943098].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author jbsmith
      I wouldn't say STUPID, I would say a DIFFERENT kind of smarts...street smarts!

      I've noticed that people who have learned the value of listening and dealing with customers tend to do very well in IM. This often comes from the service industry (retail, sales, customer service) which are not typically all that well paid or looked upon the same way as "professional" careers.

      Yet, some early experience in these areas give you the "street smarts" you need to know how to...

      1. Read markets and understand buying mentality
      2. Get to the root of what's behind a given market
      3. Know how to persuade people and impress them
      4. Not being afraid to take action and see what the results show
      5. Understand the value of working together, networking and working your way up

      Most of all though, it gives you 1:1 experience dealing with real buyers/customers which corporate or other business types may not have.

      Jeff
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5964835].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Enfusia
      You need to be a cross breed.

      You need to be smart enough to stop doing things when they don't make you money, smart enough to discover the right niches, and "stupid enough?" to not see the imaginary road blocks and just get started.

      We are our biggest roadblock. If you over think you wont start and if you're too stupid you will chase rabbit holes that got no rabbits.

      The ultimate: a highly intelligent, self starter who works like a horse and (here's the kicker) possesses WISDOM.

      Patrick
      Signature
      Free eBook =>
      The Secret To Success In Any Business
      Yes, Any Business!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5965537].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author ExRat
        Hi Enfusia,

        Originally Posted by Enfusia View Post

        You need to be a cross breed.

        You need to be smart enough to stop doing things when they don't make you money, smart enough to discover the right niches, and "stupid enough?" to not see the imaginary road blocks and just get started.
        I agree. Although if I wanted to play devil's advocate, I would say that it's not always about stopping doing something because it doesn't make money. Sometimes it doesn't appear to directly make money, which might be true, but indirectly it might be the most important thing, or it might make money at some later point in time.

        For example, many marketers give a lot of stuff away, which doesn't directly make money (EG bloggers like Steve Pavlina - his posts are golden, but he doesn't charge anyone to read them, yet they appear to be the key to his financial success.)

        A lot are mentioning persistence, which I generally agree with but I think that it's too simplistic to just say that 'it's all about persistence.'

        Personally, I rate persistence very highly on the scale of valuable attributes, very close to the top, but it's not 'all about persistence.'

        It can also be about knowing when not to persist. Compare these two seemingly/possibly contradictory quotes-

        'Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.' Albert Einstein.

        'It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer.' Albert Einstein.

        For me, some other important aspects are firstly being observant (which is a kind of education) - taking note of what you see around you and looking for lessons - being like a sponge. But secondly, alongside this, it's also important to reject the majority of the information that gets 'soaked up' (and knowing which information to reject and which to retain is key) along with viewing the same information from vastly different perspectives to gain different insights.

        I've seen all of those aspects successfully utilised (often singularly, in isolation of the others) by people who would be typically classed by others as uneducated, unrefined or even stupid, as well as those who are seen as being the opposite.
        Signature


        Roger Davis

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5965799].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author zerofill
          Originally Posted by ExRat View Post

          bloggers like Steve Pavlina - his posts are golden, but he doesn't charge anyone to read them, yet they appear to be the key to his financial success
          Never knew of him... looks like some pretty good stuff on that blog. Thanks...

          Now if I ever have time, I will have something to read.
          Signature
          Serp Shaker
          The IM World Will Be Shaken to the Core!
          Join my list at: IMCool.Biz
          New Podcast --> podcast.imcool.biz
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5965899].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author 1Constant
          Originally Posted by ExRat View Post

          Hi Enfusia,

          It can also be about knowing when not to persist. Compare these two seemingly/possibly contradictory quotes-

          'Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.' Albert Einstein.

          'It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer.' Albert Einstein.

          .


          It can also be about knowing when not to persist. Compare these two seemingly/possibly contradictory quotes-

          'Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.' Albert Einstein.

          Goes to method

          'It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer.' Albert Einstein.

          Goes to mindset & motivation


          If you have the mindset & motivation to do well in online marketing, the probability of your success grows exponentially when you know how to fail fast on ineffective methods.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5969154].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author cashp0wer
            I love this thread. I think an internet marketer has to have a certain personality to succeed. I don't think "stupid" people can succeed because I think you have to have some smarts about you to be able to do this business. I do believe that people can be too smart to do it, however, because they think about it way too much.
            Signature
            My Internet Marketing Blog - Warts And All!
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5969225].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author specialized
    Another point to make here is that there are different types of intelligence. In my own case, I have an abundance of creative intelligence---I come up with good product ideas constantly, and can look at a field of products and envision one quickly that fits right in---but I don't have very much strategic intelligence... that is, knowing the technical side of things and how to best utilize and implement technology. The best marketers are going to be evenly well-endowed in both creative and strategic/technical intelligence, but these seem relatively rare to me.

    For this reason, I think sometimes good partnerships can be forged where each of two people is strong in the area where the other is weak. The perfect partner for me (and I am seeking this person, so please PM if this sounds like you) would be someone who does not have the creativity, but has a lot of technical knowledge on how to make things happen once a good product or product idea is in hand. Someone who knows the technical ins and outs of internet marketing, but barely a creative bone in his body. That would be a perfect match for me because my power is 95% creative but I'm weak in technical implementation.

    To put it more simply, I come up with good ideas all the time, but I don't have the ability to do what's obviously needed next, which is to slam together a website for it and get it realized and on the web quickly. What I need is to partner with someone who is good at that part, but lacks creative ideas to run with.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5944656].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author yjtung
    an "intelligent" person in your example is probably a perfectionist who wants to make everything right before actually doing anything. the problem with that is that this person will just keep absorbing information without actually implementing.

    your "stupid" person most likely just adapts a "good-enough" approach and just does it.

    doesn't mean either is just stupid or too smart.

    the key is to always be taking steps (little or big) and keep moving forward. results just don't come out of thin air.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5959510].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author discrat
    Originally Posted by PowerEdge View Post

    I know some really intelligent sorts, who can completely take apart an entire niche to understand it on a profound level. YET, these same people often become stuck in their internet marketing endeavours, just because of that fact.

    They over-think a lot of things, or exclude many other things, because of how they understand their consumers, and the niche, and everything else therein.

    It's funny, because I often see others, who may not have the greatest product, or may not know a heck of a lot... or who simply put, are just plain stupid with whatever it is they are doing, or are selling, or have created; doing well!

    So are "stupid" people the best marketers, because they don't overthink, and just do-do-do?

    Or are intelligent people the best marketers, because they think of every little detail, and don't act until they are sure that it will work the way it should?
    This can be true in all facets of Life. Business , Sports etc..

    Look at the US hockey Gold Medal win over the Russians in 1980 Olympics. The skeptics made remarks before the game that this match up was similar to a basketball game between a high school team and a NBA team.

    But evidently the US hockey team was just too 'stupid' to realize they were not suppose to win this game !!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5959958].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Randall Magwood
    I used to think successful online business owners were genius's because they were making all the money and i wasn't. I can tell you how to put together a computer network, how to fix the problems between 2 or more routers, how to configure a route and switch, how to assign IP addresses to hosts on a LAN, and etc...

    ...but when it came to internet marketing... i couldn't tell you jack cause each and everyday i saw a big goose-egg in my paypal account. So are stupid people the best marketers?...

    ...of course not.

    LOL
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5960228].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author kbraden09
      Hey Everyone,

      I'll be the first one to tell you that I over analyze and sometimes question my ability to take action on good information, this is partly due to information overload, as I've worked for several large software companies that demand perfection and question any idea that as been suggested for the greater good of the company.

      But, I will tell you now that I wholeheartedly believe that I'm a smart person who has made stupid decisions, but I never question if I'm stupid, because I believe that once I roll up my sleeves that I can accomplish anything, I think what's missing from this post is the fact that people are highly critical of one another...

      ...and it's that criticism that sometimes lead to inaction, because we don't want our boss, family and friends to think that we are stupid. But the greatest quote I've seen to counter this thought is....don't quote me word for word, but...

      Knowledge isn't power... it's the ability to act on that knowledge...this is power.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5960571].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author theory expert
    Banned
    I only need to know one thing. How to hire/outsource to others. All my knowledge is useless.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5960543].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author ExRat
      Hi theory expert,

      Originally Posted by theory expert View Post

      I only need to know one thing. How to hire/outsource to others. All my knowledge is useless.
      Hire and outsource but also, perhaps - incentivise? IE, dangle the carrot? IE affiliate?

      I would be interested if you would care to elaborate some more on your experiences which have led you to this conclusion, as I'm sure others would too, if you would be so kind.
      Signature


      Roger Davis

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5963178].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author stuff2
    Now I now what my problem is.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5961567].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Garin
    Although some stupid marketers may succeed (studies show that there is no correlation between IQ and income) those marketers who achieve massive success are wicked smart. Three marketers I am thinking of off the top of my head are Ryan Deiss, Eben Pagan, and Frank Kern.

    The point I think we should take away from this is that fortune often favors the bold and those that take action, create a product, and put it out there will make some sales. A marketing genius who obsesses over every detail might take twice as long to make his first buck.

    Nothing is perfect and I just try and do the best I can. From my experience that has always been enough to get people to take action, join my list, and buy my products.

    Take action fellow warriors and I am sure that you too can achieve success!

    Cheers

    Originally Posted by PowerEdge View Post

    I know some really intelligent sorts, who can completely take apart an entire niche to understand it on a profound level. YET, these same people often become stuck in their internet marketing endeavours, just because of that fact.

    They over-think a lot of things, or exclude many other things, because of how they understand their consumers, and the niche, and everything else therein.

    It's funny, because I often see others, who may not have the greatest product, or may not know a heck of a lot... or who simply put, are just plain stupid with whatever it is they are doing, or are selling, or have created; doing well!

    So are "stupid" people the best marketers, because they don't overthink, and just do-do-do?

    Or are intelligent people the best marketers, because they think of every little detail, and don't act until they are sure that it will work the way it should?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5961602].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Saito
    I think reptile-brains take action fast as a way of being and tend to get results faster. They do not have to be as intelligent and often hire and surround themselves with the best people, using the cash they generate.

    Some people [I'm so jealous] tend to be born with this wiring in their heads already, others have to slowly and repeatedly reprogram themselves after a lifetime of perfectionism and whizzing through life because you can learn anything fast and then realizing business is not the same way (and that SUCKS).

    Intelligent people tend to have paralysis by analysis or spend too much time learning.

    But the REAL beauty is when you have someone with high intelligence AND an effective mindset and habits for focused action, quick decisions, fast implementation, and big results. That's when you have someone who can do more than just generate cash for themselves--you have the Michaelangelos, Bill Gateses, Steve Jobses, Zuckerbergs, and true artists and creators who innovate something truly useful and new who end up changing the world.
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5961859].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Oliver Williams
    At the end of the day action is what matters preferably productive action. Analytical thinkers can over analyse everything to the point where they don't take action but I think there is always a bit of fear in there.

    Its not about being too smart its about taking action.
    Signature
    Don't believe everything you think
    \\\===========================///
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5963235].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Exel
      Originally Posted by Oliver Williams View Post

      At the end of the day action is what matters preferably productive action. Analytical thinkers can over analyse everything to the point where they don't take action but I think there is always a bit of fear in there.

      Its not about being too smart its about taking action.
      Spot-on, buddy. I was just going to write a same thing.

      The action, or hard work, is what makes the most difference. All the smarts
      in the world doesn't mean a thing if not put into action. It is only by hard
      work that many mediocre people, who have no talent, no education, no skills,
      achieve great results.

      As the saying goes, hard work will always beat the genius who refuses to
      work hard. However, if the genius works hard, sky is the limit.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5963958].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author nicelife
    Hi,

    The one who can shout the loudest often wins.

    This skill becomes especially necessary if you don't have anything new or groundbreaking.

    We see it here on the WF everyday. The WSO's that claim a guarantee of X amount of $earnings are the most profitable, am I wrong?

    Even with bad copy these WSO's seem to sell.

    I believe that many of these claims are false, but someone is still willing to shout the message out loud they they are making X amount of $$$.

    So I believe being stupid can actually be an asset.

    I don't know about you, but the biggest liars I know of are rather stupid and they don't care if they get caught. Somehow that seems to work as well.


    .. and YES, I believe marketing is lying as much as you can without getting caught.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5963294].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author John Romaine
    Persistant people are successful.

    Intelligent levels are just a small percentage of that.
    Signature

    BS free SEO services, training and advice - SEO Point

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5964291].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Eduard Stinga
    This thread just reminds me of the Diesel Ads

    "Smart may have the brains, but Stupid has the balls"

    That pretty much sums it up
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5964878].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author WebPen
    TONS of studies show that intelligence is a very small factor in how successful someone is.

    Instead it's things like persistence and "grit". Basically going, going, going even when things are tough.

    And of course- it's about going, going, going after ONE thing- not getting distracted and falling by the wayside to try new things all the time.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5964886].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author zerofill
      I will jump in here and say this...

      People that I know, have worked with, have helped, have trained, etc... People in that group that I know have become successful are probably the people you're referring to as the stupid type.

      • These are people that if there is a problem with a program or the operating system of their computer, they will buy a new one.
      • They don't know jack about anything technical.
      • They never had any type of college education. (I never either)
      • When you talk to them they basically seem to not know "anything about anything" lol.

      But...

      Because of those good points... they succeed.

      I know, how the hell can those be good points?

      Because they have no idea about how something can fail, because they don't really know the mechanics of it in the first place.

      So they just "do stuff" and "stuff happens."

      They are still taking action no matter what, because they don't understand how it can fail.

      Now people like me that came from a programming background, fixed computers, rebuilt motors, blah blah blah... Can pretty much figure out how to fix just about anything.

      We tend to think a million miles ahead before we even start something. We tend to think about the 4,000 possible ways something can fail. Eventually we talk ourselves out of even bothering to move forward on the idea.

      I still find myself using that mindset even though I know it is wrong to do so. It actually irritates the hell out of me that I have such a hard time controlling it.

      Because here is the thing....

      Remember how I just said over analytical people like myself tend to think of a million ways things can go wrong? How we then talk ourselves out of even trying?

      What if we followed through and those things that could go wrong, didn't go wrong?

      I'll leave it at that...
      Signature
      Serp Shaker
      The IM World Will Be Shaken to the Core!
      Join my list at: IMCool.Biz
      New Podcast --> podcast.imcool.biz
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5965044].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author nicelife
        Originally Posted by zerofill View Post

        I will jump in here and say this...

        People that I know, have worked with, have helped, have trained, etc... People in that group that I know have become successful are probably the people you're referring to as the stupid type.

        • These are people that if there is a problem with a program or the operating system of their computer, they will buy a new one.
        • They don't know jack about anything technical.
        • They never had any type of college education. (I never either)
        • When you talk to them they basically seem to not know "anything about anything" lol.

        But...

        Because of those good points... they succeed.

        I know, how the hell can those be good points?

        Because they have no idea about how something can fail, because they don't really know the mechanics of it in the first place.

        So they just "do stuff" and "stuff happens."

        They are still taking action no matter what, because they don't understand how it can fail.

        Now people like me that came from a programming background, fixed computers, rebuilt motors, blah blah blah... Can pretty much figure out how to fix just about anything.

        We tend to think a million miles ahead before we even start something. We tend to think about the 4,000 possible ways something can fail. Eventually we talk ourselves out of even bothering to move forward on the idea.

        I still find myself using that mindset even though I know it is wrong to do so. It actually irritates the hell out of me that I have such a hard time controlling it.

        Because here is the thing....

        Remember how I just said over analytical people like myself tend to think of a million ways things can go wrong? How we then talk ourselves out of even trying?

        What if we followed through and those things that could go wrong, didn't go wrong?

        I'll leave it at that...
        LOL ...

        I'm a programmer like you and I recognize what you're talking about.

        My brain was destroyed by the academic way of thinking when I was younger and it's taken years to rehabilitate myself and get productive.


        Business + Science = Mismatch


        If you ask me anyway.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5965226].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author TwistedRoo
    A fool and his money are soon parted. So no stupid people don't make the best marketers. But they can certainly make very good customers.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5965238].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Ashish Poonia
    Banned
    Originally Posted by PowerEdge View Post

    I know some really intelligent sorts, who can completely take apart an entire niche to understand it on a profound level. YET, these same people often become stuck in their internet marketing endeavours, just because of that fact.

    They over-think a lot of things, or exclude many other things, because of how they understand their consumers, and the niche, and everything else therein.

    It's funny, because I often see others, who may not have the greatest product, or may not know a heck of a lot... or who simply put, are just plain stupid with whatever it is they are doing, or are selling, or have created; doing well!

    So are "stupid" people the best marketers, because they don't overthink, and just do-do-do?

    Or are intelligent people the best marketers, because they think of every little detail, and don't act until they are sure that it will work the way it should?
    Nice thoughts...lol
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5965243].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author JonHascue
    Knowledge is a wonderful but a dangerous thing.

    It is always great to learn about things, like into what project you may want to start. But at what point is it OVER-THINKING?

    What I usually do, well did, was learn what I could, put it into motion, not analyze it to death, but get myself to where I feel comfortable with what I am about to do.

    Now mind you, I said COMFORTABLE, not down right HEAVENLY UNTOUCHABLE INFALLIBLE. Just to the point where I personally feel comfortable, or good about what I am about to do......and it is off to the races with it.

    I know we are all different...call it smart...call it stupid....I call it..JUST BEING IN TOUCH!!

    That is how I go about things, and it is what I teach, and foster my efforts to others.

    Cheers
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5965541].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author neodarth
    Yeah... I'm a freaking genius!...
    Signature
    ==> Negocios Estables en la Web Internet marketing en español.

    ==> Internet Marketing Newbie Created for IM virgins
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5966208].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Brassneck
      If stupid people are the best marketers then I should be on my way to being a millionaire!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5966382].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Zerk Bizkit
        According to one site, I read,

        "Well-meaning, hard-Working affliates can Work their ass off, spend 16 hours a day glued to the screen and do everything "right", and still barely make ends meet. And that's assuming they see any results, at all. Meanwhile, complete SLACKERS (in the right market) can make an utter killing if they even remotely try".

        I was spending hours getting caught up and buying the latest WSO's and probably implemented one or two only to be caught up again with a new email on the next big thing and suffering from paralysis by analysis. I thought I was working hard spending hours glued to the screen. But it only gets in the way of progress.

        I'm going to "slack" off a bit from over analyzing, follow through with the basics and see what happens...
        Signature

        Amazon WP Theme PLR. Get on the waiting list when it opens up again.

        Azon Theme PLR

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5966805].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Ryan David
    Back in 2001, I started in a sales job. And I made the observation that if you are dumb/oblivious, then it seemed to help you in your sales career. People that were dumb, could not understand why someone would not want to buy from them…so they came across as more confident about their product. Me, on the other hand, could kinda see their viewpoint when they gave me reasons for not wanting to buy. Even when I finally hit my stride in sales when I was in commercial lending. I was good at selling core products (like lending/deposits) because I believed in them. But cross-selling to our financial advisors? I thought they were all morons so I didn’t want to risk the relationship with the client.

    I can think of a few examples of “dumb” people that have done very well online. But I wouldn’t even call them “dumb”, it’s more of a combination of humbleness and aggressiveness. They know they don’t know it all, so they test it out, and see what works. A great example is shoemoney.com. The casual observer would call him dumb because he dropped out of college, can’t spell, and comes across as low-brow. But he’s actually a very skilled marketer.

    It takes all kinds though….there are smart people that execute, dumb people that execute, and smart/dumb people that don’t get anything done.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5966769].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author mikelukjaniec
    There are a lot of intelligent, well educated people out there who are out of work. There are other, not so intelligent but positive minded people, who work hard and never give up. They're the ones who more often than not succeed!
    Signature

    Affiliate links are not allowed.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5966860].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author James B
    Theres that saying: "Why bother to re invent the wheel?"

    Translation: Why bother to change a system that already works.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5966864].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author kencalhn
    Although I've had plenty of success in marketing my training, when I speak with colleagues at professional events I realize that most of them are much more focused on the marketing mechanics than their content. They're mostly marketers, who "oh by the way create information products". I have a hard time with that.

    Me, I'm focused 70%+ on creating and building great content, and 30% on the marketing of it. And those numbers should be switched, looking at how much energy others in my niche spend on cross promotions and marketing efforts. Of course my customer loyalty and repeat-customer numbers are extremely high, and less than 2% refunds lifetime over 12 years online... but I'm not marketing 'hard enough', when I step back and look at competitors; who are mostly marketers. Something to ponder.

    Anyone else in that situation?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5966971].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author J Bold
    I guess I agree there is a certain truth to this thread. Though I don't think it's necessarily stupidity. It's probably, as zerofill and maybe others said, about over-analyzing. If you are not an over-analyzer and perhaps a little bit ignorant and a truly successful marketer gives you a system you can follow and prosper from, perhaps people like that do have a better chance of success.

    So it seems to me that it all comes down to confidence. If you have no reason to doubt your confidence because of your "stupid" belief that you can succeed, I think you can have a great asset. Your confidence builds upon itself this way.

    It's true that we limit ourselves.

    My biggest obstacle is myself. True that!

    Does this mean the stupidest people have the most confidence? Hmm....
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5967404].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Q-Man
    The OP asked "Are STUPID People The Best Marketers?" ... Personally I think that this question tends to lend its self to "stereo" profiling between stupid or smart.

    Thru out recorded history all kind of peeps have rinsed as the best/authority figure for their particular field/niche. I'm sure at one time or another you have all been blown away by the accomplishments of an individual(s) whom by all normal standards tended to beat the odds... so to speak.

    i.e. savants who may have such an incredibly gifted talent in a given niche that they are considered to be geniuses, but who are totally dysfunctional in most other areas that they would be considered stupid... or someone who persevered despite the common obstacles that stop most people from ever reaching their goal(s).

    The fact is most people regardless of their intellect are so called average when comparing apples to apples. IMHO the truly successful individuals come in all levels of intelligence, as well as a large host of other variables.

    I think the common denominator amongst them is not how smart their are but more a measurement of how "in touch/aware" they are with their "own" natural abilities. Most people severely lack in this area and are more driven by outside influences, rather than from within.

    Look at any successful person and you'll most likely will find this trait.

    Just my 2 cents,
    Q-Man
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5968453].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author J Bold
      Originally Posted by Q-Man View Post

      i.e. savants who may have such an incredibly gifted talent in a given niche that they are considered to be geniuses, but who are totally dysfunctional in most other areas that they would be considered stupid... or someone who persevered despite the common obstacles that stop most people from ever reaching their goal(s).



      Just my 2 cents,
      Q-Man

      Savants...great example Q-Man!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5969529].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author zParker
    Ignorance is bliss.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5969535].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Seo Mall
    "Stupid" people like to risk and get profit from it)
    Here in Russia we have good proverb "Fools are lucky"!
    Signature
    Seomall.net - All SEO Services start at $4.49 - High PR Backlinks, FB fans, Twitter Followers, Ready Websites, Design, Copywriting, Guides and much more
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5969589].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Usmile
    The thought is quite disapproving for me, I believe that it is not a matter of what kind of mind you have to become a best marketer but what kind of attitude you have.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5969727].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Francis Ochoco
    Over-thinking can be one of the worst obstacles in internet marketing.

    Don't be afraid of failing because the more you fail, the closer you are to success.
    Signature

    Free PLR to over 30 IM videos: http://freeplrvideos.com/

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5971076].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author igorGriffiths
      With the way you have worded the question, I would have to agree with you.

      Stupid people do not overthink, they take action as that is all they are capable of doing

      Stupid people will really listen to and do as their mentors instruct, as they do not have an opposing inner voice

      Stupid people keep their marketing simple

      These 3 of course apply to all of us, taking action, using proven methods and keeping it simple.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5971592].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Jeff Burritt
    Do 'stupid' people make better marketers?

    Perhaps it's a matter of disposition / personality.

    Why do many big companies do personality testing to screen job applicants?
    Obviously, to identify applicants best suited for the job description.

    For example, what kind of people does NASA typically hire?

    Compare that to an elementary school? Or real estate agency? Or hospital care ward? Or car dealership?

    Soft skills = people skills.
    Hard skills = logic skills.

    People tend to initially make decisions emotionally. Then use logic to justify the decision already made.

    People with naturally stronger soft skills already know this intuitively. And act upon their emotions more confidently.

    This 'confidence' is a great advantage in selling anything, whether offline or online.

    Sales is an emotional transfer of belief from the provider to the buyer. More people will buy if they sense a confident emotion.

    Logical type people have to figure this all out first. It takes more time for them to process and decide. This often looks slower and more hesitant. And may cause them to appear less confident, and lose the first-mover advantage.

    Internet marketing requires both types of skills -- soft and hard, or people and logical.

    Stupid or "ignorance on fire" is usually the more emotionally intuitive person acting fast with confidence. But in order for them to appear successful, they have to be acting within a system or process to give them direction. And someone else, often a more logical person, created that system.

    So both types are working together, even if the soft skills seem to be more visible.

    Marketing is usually surface. Strategy is usually foundation.

    Marketing favors soft skills. Strategy favors logic skills.

    Understanding and focusing on your own skill strengths will help you act more successfully.

    And finally, I love what Brian Tracy says in "The Success Mastery Academy" and "Psychology of Success" training programs: What ever you decide, do it now, do it now, do it now!"
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5981842].message }}
  • The success in internet marketing depends from various factors.
    According to me not only is necessary a good idea for a good product, but also good affiliates and salespage.

    The success marketers are in inner circle where they promote their product among them. You cannot enter in this circle if you don't demonstrate you make a lot of money without them.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9243022].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author dgui123451
    Well you have to consider that most of the successful internet marketers have lots of education whether you're stupid or intelligent. Either way a ''successful'' internet marketer won't always overthink things.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9243045].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author BWHadam
    how can you say stupid to best marketers, contradiction on the first place.
    Signature

    Your Slow Website is Killing Your Business!
    Run Your Website like a Ferrari with our FAST VPS in $9/mo

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9243151].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author datingworld
    It's not matter of Stupid or Intelligent....
    It's matter of luck
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9243174].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author dgui123451
    Stupid people don't mind doing stupid little tasks that lead to small goals which again lead to bigger goals. So actually they are smarter. LOL
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9244124].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author partnersedge
    Smart people over analyze things which leads to inaction. The 'dumb' people just leap right in.
    Signature
    Partners Edge - Exclusive Payday and Installment Loan Offers
    http://www.partnersedge.com
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9244151].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author KloudStrife
    Originally Posted by PowerEdge View Post

    I know some really intelligent sorts, who can completely take apart an entire niche to understand it on a profound level. YET, these same people often become stuck in their internet marketing endeavours, just because of that fact.

    They over-think a lot of things, or exclude many other things, because of how they understand their consumers, and the niche, and everything else therein.

    It's funny, because I often see others, who may not have the greatest product, or may not know a heck of a lot... or who simply put, are just plain stupid with whatever it is they are doing, or are selling, or have created; doing well!

    So are "stupid" people the best marketers, because they don't overthink, and just do-do-do?

    Or are intelligent people the best marketers, because they think of every little detail, and don't act until they are sure that it will work the way it should?
    I would figure you would have to be highly intelligent to be an internet marketer. There's tons of information and variables that add up, I'm surprised they don't teach internet marketing in college yet
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9246351].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author entrepreneurjay
    No internet marketer is stupid in my opinion that actually makes money.

    there's a lot to learn and the dummies quit way before they see their first dollar online.

    The smart people stick with it until they turn there business into a success.

    Dummies = quitters
    Signature

    Free Quick Start Guide To Creating A Profitable High Converting Sales Funnel That Makes Money. http://jaysonlinereviews.com/go/free...-sales-funnel/
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9246803].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author bostjan33
    Banned
    Hmm...I think many of so-called marketers are just lacking experience, trying to go too fast and burn themselves in the process. The best IMs are far from stupid, though.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9246996].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author trump7
    I think intelligent people always have great chance to be successful in marketing.If you have great guts then you can succeed very easily in marketing.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9247149].message }}

Trending Topics