Is Twitter an effective marketing tool?...

44 replies
or just an incredible time suck?

I see conflicting stories and tons of services on fiverr, etc , pitching 100000 tweets (...slight exaggeration), new followers and the like.

I am in the midst of setting up all my social media accounts and am curious if any Warriors have had success using the bluebird.

Meaning , Is the time invested = acceptable ROI?

I am looking for metrics on subscribers gained, sales and the like.

Thanks Warriors, You Rock!
#effective #marketing #tool #twitter
  • Profile picture of the author Robert Michael
    lol not anymore..

    I'd stay away from trying to market on twitter. They just filed a lawsuit against the top 5 twitter software creators (tweet attacks, tweet adder, tweet buddy, etc)

    They are done playing games, so yea, stop while you're ahead.. You dont wanna be named in their next lawsuit.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6013526].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Batou
      Originally Posted by Whos That Guru View Post

      lol not anymore..

      I'd stay away from trying to market on twitter. They just filed a lawsuit against the top 5 twitter software creators (tweet attacks, tweet adder, tweet buddy, etc)

      They are done playing games, so yea, stop while you're ahead.. You dont wanna be named in their next lawsuit.

      Why would twitter file a lawsuit against you for marketing on twitter? :confused:
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6023574].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author talfighel
    I will tell you if it has worked for me or not.

    I really think that Twitter is a waste of time for online business. You are just going to waste your time too. Period. This is a simple answer but it is the total truth.

    I have not gotten any clicks on any of the links and I still think that article, video, forum, and PPC marketing are the best way to go for traffic and sales.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6013560].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Big Rob
    Thanks, Rob and Talfighel

    I was leaning that way. With so many different Social sites, the trends seem to come in waves and IMHO, by the time the methods hit the forums, the time to strike is long past its effectiveness ( read: pintrest).

    Off to see the Wizard
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6013602].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author mosthost
    There are an awful lot of 'Tweet's going on. You're competing for a fraction of people's attention on there.

    It's a 'time suck' as you said
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6013615].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Michael Franklin
    Twitter has been far more effective for those in the public eye (singers, athletes, politicians, etc.) than for businesses.

    Now if you have a business that has raving fans, it could work, but for new businesses or startups, it is really hit or miss!
    Signature

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6013684].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author akmal85
    Fiverr gigs to tweet URL = not very good result. 5-10 visit only from 90000++ followers (I believed most of them are fake)
    Fiverr gigs to add followers = most of them fake.
    You can use twiends to add follower based on your locality and interest for more targeted follower.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6013776].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Big Rob
      Originally Posted by akmal85 View Post

      Fiverr gigs to tweet URL = not very good result. 5-10 visit only from 90000++ followers (I believed most of them are fake)
      Fiverr gigs to add followers = most of them fake.
      You can use twiends to add follower based on your locality and interest for more targeted follower.
      Yuck.. That confirms my suspicions.Using twiends worked for you?

      More and more I am leaning toward the big 3, FB,YT & LI.

      Thanks for your response,akmal
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6013826].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author akmal85
    twiends - to add follower is yes . but for people to read your tweet from a 'river' of other people tweets give me a headache. I have try to comment other people tweet and that is the only way for people to really care about me. I am not a celebrity =( . I also have tweetadder software to get more targeted follower at my locality. It is nice and found some biz owners for follow up action. But hell yeah take a lot of time. But I just schedule the time when will I tweet.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6013952].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author JimDucharme
    Don't give up on Twitter too easy. I've found it to be highly effective as a brand building channel! Can it be a time suck? Sure, as with any channel it will hoover up all the time you are willing to give it -- twitter doesn't control your time, you do.

    At the most basic, use Twitter to aggregate your content marketing. If you have the right ESP then it's not at all hard to share content from your NL to such networks.

    It's a multi-channel world today and consumers don't give much thought to what path they take to get to your conversion point. That path will almost certainly cover multiple channels. It's not about being where you want to be, it's about being where they expect you to be.

    In fact, for marketers I would suggest the best thing that could happen is for Twitter to go after those services who have been clogging up the channel. Now, you have a better chance of being heard.

    I like to offer up this post by email marketing analyst, Ken Magill as proof of what Twitter can do for you with resonably little effort. Ken used to poo poo Twitter too.

    Regards,
    jim
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6013992].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Cataclysm1987
    I think it's a bit silly, like Facebook but with only 140 characters. Never found much value in it.
    Signature

    No signature here today!

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6014087].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author pinkys
    Definitely ...
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6014106].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Big Rob
      Thanks, Jim. A few questions (and comments...)

      Originally Posted by JimDucharme View Post

      Don't give up on Twitter too easy. I've found it to be highly effective as a brand building channel! Can it be a time suck? Sure, as with any channel it will hoover up all the time you are willing to give it -- twitter doesn't control your time, you do.
      Indeed. If you had to estimate, How much time does it take to setup a proper profile and Maintain after initial setup?

      Originally Posted by JimDucharme View Post

      At the most basic, use Twitter to aggregate your content marketing. If you have the right ESP then it's not at all hard to share content from your NL to such networks.
      Not familiar with these terms.Could you explain,Please?


      Originally Posted by JimDucharme View Post

      It's a multi-channel world today and consumers don't give much thought to what path they take to get to your conversion point. That path will almost certainly cover multiple channels. It's not about being where you want to be, it's about being where they expect you to be.
      Which of the channels are working for you? Facebook? You Tube?Linked In?

      Originally Posted by JimDucharme View Post

      In fact, for marketers I would suggest the best thing that could happen is for Twitter to go after those services who have been clogging up the channel. Now, you have a better chance of being heard.
      Now , This is an interesting perspective, I have not considered!

      Originally Posted by JimDucharme View Post

      I like to offer up this post by email marketing analyst, Ken Magill as proof of what Twitter can do for you with resonably little effort. Ken used to poo poo Twitter too.
      That was very entertaining and informative, That Dude is Funny
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6014322].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author JimDucharme
        Indeed. If you had to estimate, How much time does it take to setup a proper profile and Maintain after initial setup?

        One thing about Twitter is the setup is relatively short and painless compared to some other channels. You don't actually have to spend hours twiddling with branding graphics on your home page if you don't want to. It's a good idea to do some branding work there, but you don't really have to in order to get value from it.

        Me, I use tweedeck as my twitter client. I spend most of my time connected via that client and very little time messing with the web interface. TweetDeck and Hootsuite are simply excellent IMHO for this.

        My general routine is simple:

        - I spend an hour each day using the Tweetdeck auto tweet feature to set up tweets about good posts I want to share. I've found that I have to use auto-tweets for this because otherwise, it would definitely hoover my day. I spend no more time doing this then I would reading this kind of material every day anyway -- now I'm just taking a few moments to share that content.

        - I have email updates setup to alert me to any replies or activities on Twitter such as new followers.

        - When someone tweets me I respond and when someone RTs a tweet of mine I always try to say thank you and wish them a nice day.

        - I have filters set up to search for certain key words and have channels such as #email marketing and #emailmarketing set up in Twitter too.

        - It's not about the followers (by that I mean it's not about the sheer number of followers)! It's about the traffic your tweets drive and the brand recognition they build. That doesn't mean that building a large following is bad, but if that following doesn't get you traffic, so what? A few engaged followers beats a truck load of those who aren't any day. What I try to do is aggregate good content from multiple sources and combine it with some personality. I have the luxury of being able to mix my work with my life on Twitter and thus, it's a lot more fun and I can comment on many topics. Of course, I always avoid saying anything on Twitter which I wouldn't be keen to shout out in a crowded room.

        - Twitter is like the digital version of CB radio, but it's also a big fancy cocktail party and while it can be hard to be heard over the din, getting your voice into the conversation and participating can bring a great ROI. Some have pointed out that Twitter is only effective for celebs, but being interesting and thoughtful is not limited to them. If you have something interesting to say and you take the time to target the right channels, you'll get attention. In other words, don't expect good results if you are selling bacon and tagging your tweets with #PETA .

        Not familiar with these terms.Could you explain,Please?

        Sorry about that! NL - Newsletter and ESP - Email Service Provider or Autoresponder.

        Which of the channels are working for you? Facebook? You Tube?Linked In?

        I've yet to find one channel which does all the work for me. Because, it's not about what works for me, but what works for the consumers I'm trying to reach.

        Every channel has it's own unique strengths and should be combined much like a general would use a combined arms strategy. Alone they can't win the war, but combined correctly, they dominate.

        Despite the channel, you are dealing with people and people have some very basic common needs - give them content which adds value to their day and they will regard you in a positive way. Be that via email or Twitter or FB. Different channels simply mean different approaches.

        There is no easy way to win, but there is no pleasant way to fail either. So, I always suggest making that effort within reason.

        Regards,
        jim
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6014601].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Big Rob
          Outstanding Info, Jim!

          I can see the relevance , which is the valuable lesson you have taught me today, which is to make your channels customer centric.

          Most Profound Quote of the day:

          "Despite the channel, you are dealing with people and people have some very basic common needs - give them content which adds value to their day and they will regard you in a positive way."

          Wow! Pleased to meet you , Mr. D !
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6014877].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author JimDucharme
            Originally Posted by Big Rob View Post

            make your channels customer centric.
            IMHO that's the most profound thing and you said it...I didn't.

            Regards,
            jim
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6015282].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Tevis Verrett
          Originally Posted by JimDucharme View Post

          . . . Every channel has it's own unique strengths and should be combined much like a general would use a combined arms strategy. Alone they can't win the war, but combined correctly, they dominate.

          Despite the channel, you are dealing with people and people have some very basic common needs - give them content which adds value to their day and they will regard you in a positive way. Be that via email or Twitter or FB. Different channels simply mean different approaches.
          Jim, these are profound words! I was trying to find a way to encapsulate the big picture concept that we all must get in the game. . .or be left behind.

          You said it eloquently, sir!

          Be well, all!

          Tevis
          Signature

          Tevis Verrett, Boss of Triumvirate Capital Group
          Always Looking for New Affiliate & JV Partners:
          Ever wanted to make money selling money? We teach Financial Literacy. . . for the rest of us!

          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6015017].message }}
  • 100% yes !!!
    Signature

    Fraser Mackie
    Affiliate Manager
    Sellhealth.com

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6014229].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Tadresources
    I don't think it's as effective as it once was but it still has it's uses. I definitely wouldn't dump a ton of time in it that could be better spent elsewhere.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6014373].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author sonicadam123
    Like others have said, it can be a huge time suck.

    Especially since how many spammers and fake profiles are around now.

    That's not to say don't have a twitter account or just don't bother with it because you really should IMO.

    If you do it right you can do well... make it easy for people to follow you on Twitter through your website and build a following of targeted users who are interested in what you've got to say.

    140 characters isn't much but it's enough to write a compelling compelling headline that will improve your chances of someone clicking through to your link.

    Ok essentially it's being as attention grabbing as possible, but as long as you've got targeted followers you will get some traffic.

    Also it gives you another way to keep in touch with your website viewers once they follow you.

    Just be careful though because social media can be quite distracting.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6014374].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author crucita
    First, you must have a web presence consisting of a minimum of one blog and a Facebook page for your business to keep networking with others in your field. In order to build your brand and reputation, you have to build an online community and you can use twitter to increase your exposure and to offer products and services to your followers.

    The main benefit associated with Twitter is the real-time gathering of information. Other benefits of Twitter include the following:

    Participate in conversation and discussions with your target audience and/or potential prospects.
    Improve your brand awareness and top of mind awareness.
    Monitor your competitors because much information is shared via Twitter. Perhaps know about launching products or creating a new store, brand, or targeting a new niche.
    Engage your target audience, allowing them to interact with potential prospects and your target audience.
    Twitter is a powerful way to manage your online reputation. For example if someone says something wrong, you can simultaneously flag it.
    Twitter also allows you to promote your other social media resources like a Blog or Facebook. Actually, you can set up a feed to automatically post, to time our posts in advance.
    Twitter can be a great mobile communication tool.
    Twitter is a tool that allows you to learn what your target demographics are saying and what they are looking for.
    Twitter is a social community and therefore you can also use the "Ask questions-Receive answers" method to connect with your target audience.
    Use Twitter to promote your press releases and to communicate company news.
    Twitter is also used as an internal communication tool. This can also be an effective way of sharing key information in a dynamic way.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6014395].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author IMHunter
    Not at all. You just have to know that what you are doing. Twitter is a great tool to earn money. You can build a list, promote your website, offers and everything you want. You just have to do the right way.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6014396].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author GFI
    Definitely my friend, twitter is one of the best way to promote your website because its increase your PR as well.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6014405].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Tevis Verrett
    Originally Posted by Big Rob View Post

    or just an incredible time suck?

    I see conflicting stories. . .

    Thanks Warriors, You Rock!
    Hey Big Rob:

    I guess I am the lone voice that gives a harrumph to twitter. In answer to your question, yes twitter does bring me traffic with a big BUT!

    Getting targeted traffic from Twitter is like "catching air" as with all social media venues (people on FB, Twitter, et al HATE marketing), the target is to form relationships and the human connection FIRST, then you can market to them.

    I have taken a go slow tack and am posting informational tweets 80% and promotional tweets 20%.

    I am not aggressive on the follows/unfollows. . .

    My Twitter brother, look into twiends.com for finding targeted interest followers, and get into a conversation.

    My .03,

    Be well my Warrior Brethren and Sistren,

    Tevis
    Signature

    Tevis Verrett, Boss of Triumvirate Capital Group
    Always Looking for New Affiliate & JV Partners:
    Ever wanted to make money selling money? We teach Financial Literacy. . . for the rest of us!

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6014924].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Big Rob
      Originally Posted by Tevis Verrett View Post

      Hey Big Rob:

      I guess I am the lone voice that gives a harrumph to twitter. In answer to your question, yes twitter does bring me traffic with a big BUT!

      Getting targeted traffic from Twitter is like "catching air" as with all social media venues (people on FB, Twitter, et al HATE marketing), the target is to form relationships and the human connection FIRST, then you can market to them.

      I have taken a go slow tack and am posting informational tweets 80% and promotional tweets 20%.

      I am not aggressive on the follows/unfollows. . .

      My Twitter brother, look into twiends.com for finding targeted interest followers, and get into a conversation.

      My .03,

      Be well my Warrior Brethren and Sistren,

      Tevis
      Thanks, Tevis. Your Tagline Rocks, by the way...

      Perplexed by the enormity! HEHEHEHEHE (my scooby doo laugh)
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6014997].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Tevis Verrett
        Originally Posted by Big Rob View Post

        Thanks, Tevis. Your Tagline Rocks, by the way...
        Bless you my Warrior Brother, and I'm here to help any way I can.

        We are all stronger together!

        A thank you to YOU for the most excellent question!

        Booyah!

        Tevis
        Signature

        Tevis Verrett, Boss of Triumvirate Capital Group
        Always Looking for New Affiliate & JV Partners:
        Ever wanted to make money selling money? We teach Financial Literacy. . . for the rest of us!

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6015029].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author vivi62
    most of my traffic comes from twitter but I am in the business of blogging not really selling anything.Thanks vivi62
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6014925].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Tevis Verrett
      Originally Posted by vivi62 View Post

      most of my traffic comes from twitter but I am in the business of blogging not really selling anything.Thanks vivi62
      Viv I will friend you and push your posts to my 40K followers, can I get some reciprocal RT love?

      THIS folks, is the power of the Warrior Forum. Anyone who wants to do reciprocal retweets, ping me.

      Tevis
      Signature

      Tevis Verrett, Boss of Triumvirate Capital Group
      Always Looking for New Affiliate & JV Partners:
      Ever wanted to make money selling money? We teach Financial Literacy. . . for the rest of us!

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6014954].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Will Edwards
    Without a shadow of a doubt, Twitter is a very important component of a successful marketing mix.

    Will
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6015052].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Big Rob
      Originally Posted by Will Edwards View Post

      Without a shadow of a doubt, Twitter is a very important component of a successful marketing mix.

      Will
      Big fan, Will. Been to your site many times....

      Are you a daily Tweeter?
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6015126].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Entrecon
    If you do use twitter, be sure to check out gremln.com and paper.KI
    Signature

    Visit My website http://kipferguson.com

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6015312].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Big Rob
      Originally Posted by Entrecon View Post

      If you do use twitter, be sure to check out gremln.com and paper.KI
      Hey Entrecon,

      Thanks for the gremln link, Very cool

      paper.ki , dunno couldnt connect.

      (Goofy, unrelated sidebar Your forum name made me think of Transformers...
      Are you an Autobot or Deceptacon?

      Thanks for the info!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6022861].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author jasono
    Twitter would be all or nothing if you are just starting your business but if you have been so long in internet marketing then it's one of the most effective tool. Just make sure you are using it right.
    Signature

    Learn how to make more money using outsourcing and virtual assistants while freeing up your valuable time. Visit http://outsourcingautopilot.com

    Facebook - Twitter

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6015424].message }}
  • Hi Big Rob, by my side, from the day it was created, I didn't got any advantage using Twitter for marketing.
    I got only a few interaction by users, also for interesting news, free advices, free gifts and whatever you could think is good for anyone interested on marketing in general.

    So I'm using it just for posting Fiverr gigs requests and nothing else now.

    I prefer to invest my time using Facebook and Google+, who gave me a good return of my time and money, at least.

    See you soon,
    Alessandro Zamboni
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6015715].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Big Rob
      Originally Posted by Alessandro Zamboni View Post


      I prefer to invest my time using Facebook and Google+, who gave me a good return of my time and money, at least.
      Thanks, Alessandro.

      G+ is one avenue I have never explored.

      Would you please elaborate on it? Or anyone who has used G+?

      Thanks to everyone for their feedback. Am learning TONS!

      I love this place!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6020931].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author tonycj
    i just taking maximum benefit from twitter .
    i just share my links with differnt people through twitter
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6022637].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Nick Lawless
    Hi Big Rob,



    Twitter works in generating leads just as other Social Media sites out there like facebook. The thing is, you should do your Twitter marketing the right way and have the right strategy for it. I heard many internet marketers complaining about it but in reality they are not really establishing a plan about how they will use Twitter as a traffic generating tool.



    Most internet marketers especially if they just started their business will go to twitter and just keep on tweeting about their website and how much they earned etc.



    When it comes to Social Media Marketing, I believe it’s about establishing relationships first before going into business. If you’re not into this, then Twitter may not be that helpful for you. Once you start making relationships in Twitter then eventually you will be able to generate traffic to your site.



    What I do is instead of spamming about my business, I find influential people to follow (those who share good content on Twitter) and start connecting with them. I then start retweeting their tweets and post some of my self-promotion tweets as well. I follow a 60/40 ratio when it comes to tweets.



    Yes, I do keep track on how well my self-promotion tweets are going using Su.Pr. Within one week’s time my tweets regarding my recent blog post received about 50+ clicks with only 100 followers in my twitter account.

    Bottom line, when it comes to using Twitter – establish relationships, don’t look like a robot, don’t spam and share other people’s content.

    Just my thoughts,

    Nick
    Signature
    Just starting online and need a website? Let me build one for you - FREE


    Click Here to claim a FREE customized website.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6023558].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author TopKat22
    In my experience and that of many of my business owner friends, in using twitter (just like Linkedin, Facebook, Pinterest and all the rest), it really depends on HOW you go about using it.

    I know one pretty famous IM guy who actually closed his offline business and makes the majority of his money from just helping people on Twitter. He only does 2 maybe 3 offers to his HUGE list a year and makes more money than he ever did before.

    When I was new on twitter, I remember just about begging the guy to let me pay him something and he absolutel refused. The next time he DID sell something, I purchased it without even knowing or caring what it was just to pay him back for all the help.

    That is just his method. I'm not saying you have to do it that way.

    It was just like my post about "Is Klout important" which I posted because I knew nothing about it and had never heard of it until that day. Most posters said it is a big waste of time. I worked on it alittle and did something creative and made money before the end of the month just from Klout.

    If you are just going to use the social networks to spam them with a lot of links, then don't even create an account. It doesn't work and if it does work, it won't for very long.

    Using the social networks like Twitter to build your clout, (no pun intended) make yourself known and position yourself to your market, to me is a very good piece of your branding and marketing pie.

    Just make it one piece and not your only source.

    I keep my posts on social networks at 90/10. 90% helpful/social and only 10% promotional
    Signature
    44 days in and we broke the $10K a month recurring bench mark.

    Guaranteed 60% Opt In Rate Traffic-Real People-Fresh Today-High Quality Biz Opp traffic![/URL]
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6023618].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Paul Gram
    I think way too many people look at Twitter wrong. Business is really about relationships and I have built a few solid business relationships via Twitter that I would not have were it not for Twitter.

    I would never use it as a direct marketing tool, it's awful for that but it's great for other things. The key is, I don't waste my day on there, I might spend 5-30 minutes per day (at most) with it so it's no big deal. I also never spam or do any of that crap on there.

    A successful tweet stream should have lots of @replies, not a constant stream of tweeting stuff out without interacting with others.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6023778].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Big Rob
      Originally Posted by Nick Lawless View Post

      Hi Big Rob,



      Twitter works in generating leads just as other Social Media sites out there like facebook. The thing is, you should do your Twitter marketing the right way and have the right strategy for it. I heard many internet marketers complaining about it but in reality they are not really establishing a plan about how they will use Twitter as a traffic generating tool.



      Most internet marketers especially if they just started their business will go to twitter and just keep on tweeting about their website and how much they earned etc.



      When it comes to Social Media Marketing, I believe it's about establishing relationships first before going into business. If you're not into this, then Twitter may not be that helpful for you. Once you start making relationships in Twitter then eventually you will be able to generate traffic to your site.



      What I do is instead of spamming about my business, I find influential people to follow (those who share good content on Twitter) and start connecting with them. I then start retweeting their tweets and post some of my self-promotion tweets as well. I follow a 60/40 ratio when it comes to tweets.



      Yes, I do keep track on how well my self-promotion tweets are going using Su.Pr. Within one week's time my tweets regarding my recent blog post received about 50+ clicks with only 100 followers in my twitter account.

      Bottom line, when it comes to using Twitter - establish relationships, don't look like a robot, don't spam and share other people's content.

      Just my thoughts,

      Nick
      Originally Posted by TopKat22 View Post

      In my experience and that of many of my business owner friends, in using twitter (just like Linkedin, Facebook, Pinterest and all the rest), it really depends on HOW you go about using it.

      I know one pretty famous IM guy who actually closed his offline business and makes the majority of his money from just helping people on Twitter. He only does 2 maybe 3 offers to his HUGE list a year and makes more money than he ever did before.

      When I was new on twitter, I remember just about begging the guy to let me pay him something and he absolutel refused. The next time he DID sell something, I purchased it without even knowing or caring what it was just to pay him back for all the help.

      That is just his method. I'm not saying you have to do it that way.

      It was just like my post about "Is Klout important" which I posted because I knew nothing about it and had never heard of it until that day. Most posters said it is a big waste of time. I worked on it alittle and did something creative and made money before the end of the month just from Klout.

      If you are just going to use the social networks to spam them with a lot of links, then don't even create an account. It doesn't work and if it does work, it won't for very long.

      Using the social networks like Twitter to build your clout, (no pun intended) make yourself known and position yourself to your market, to me is a very good piece of your branding and marketing pie.

      Just make it one piece and not your only source.

      I keep my posts on social networks at 90/10. 90% helpful/social and only 10% promotional
      Originally Posted by Paul Gram View Post

      I think way too many people look at Twitter wrong. Business is really about relationships and I have built a few solid business relationships via Twitter that I would not have were it not for Twitter.

      I would never use it as a direct marketing tool, it's awful for that but it's great for other things. The key is, I don't waste my day on there, I might spend 5-30 minutes per day (at most) with it so it's no big deal. I also never spam or do any of that crap on there.

      A successful tweet stream should have lots of @replies, not a constant stream of tweeting stuff out without interacting with others.
      Thanks, Y'all

      The overwhelming evidence I am gathering here is:

      1. DONT SPAM
      2. Be Social first, establish relationships, THEN do business
      3. Limit your time spent and mix it up
      4. Get the back and forth going,not just one sided " Buy my stuff"

      Awesome!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6028754].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author JimDucharme
        Originally Posted by Big Rob View Post

        Thanks, Y'all

        The overwhelming evidence I am gathering here is:

        1. DONT SPAM
        2. Be Social first, establish relationships, THEN do business
        3. Limit your time spent and mix it up
        4. Get the back and forth going,not just one sided " Buy my stuff"

        Awesome!
        I think that sums it up pretty well sir! You definitely got some great info from some smart people here! Gotta love the WF community!

        Regards,
        jim
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6029127].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Michael Franklin
        Originally Posted by Big Rob View Post

        Thanks, Y'all

        The overwhelming evidence I am gathering here is:

        1. DONT SPAM
        2. Be Social first, establish relationships, THEN do business
        3. Limit your time spent and mix it up
        4. Get the back and forth going,not just one sided " Buy my stuff"

        Awesome!
        That's a nice checklist....A good rule of thumb is to really limit your sales tweets to once every day AND you should have at least 6-8 non-sales tweets for every sales tweet. Really focus on adding value in your tweets and you won't go wrong!
        Signature

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6029294].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author sbsts
    I think it's important to participate on Twitter as far as making announcements to your fans about what's new with your business. I wouldn't expect to generate a lot of business from it though.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6029242].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author affiliateg
    I never had any luck on twitter. And the short number of allowed characters in posts is really annoying...
    Signature

    Your online health resource: DailyHealthMagazine.com

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6029553].message }}

Trending Topics