Why 72.3% of us are Doomed to Failure...According to F. Kern, J. Reese and T. Robbins

58 replies
So I found myself surfing around earlier this week and I stumbled upon a video on Youtube with Frank Kern, John Reese and Tony Robbins in it... Since I'm a fan of Frank and had nothing better to do I thought "what the hell..." and sat and watched the 40min video in full... I found it very interesting and since I'm still thinking about it several days later I thought I'd share it with you guys and hopefully you'll get some value from it

So John Reese mentions to Frank that he had come across a statistic that 72.3% of marketers are doomed to failure. That we will never make consistent, good money and build a successful business. The reason why? They weren't sure but it was loosely because they don't Take Action and Follow Through on a task until its completed...

They call in on Tony Robbins and the rest of the video is them chatting back and forth about why such a majority of people fail to succeed. What they were saying really struck home with me...

People spend their time and their money chasing a dream - a dream which for most of them will never become a reality. They buy these expensive courses and 48hrs later find themselves back online looking for the Next Big Thing that will show them how to make money online.

Robbins explains that there are 4 pieces to the puzzle and most people are missing at least one piece which will hold them back from realizing their true potential and achieving all their goals.

From what I can remember the 4 pieces were :
Potential --> Taking Action --> Results --> Certainty

Every one of us has the Potential to build a successful online business in whatever market we choose to target. We all started from scratch, even the Guru's were once stood where many of us are now. They weren't born successful marketers - they learned their trade and became successful at it. So we all have the Potential but what's holding us back???

Well the next step is where some people get caught out - they fail to Take Action! Whether you save your cash and buy a Big Ticket coaching program or a $7 WSO - why aren't you seeing any progress? They can't all be wrong so you must look a little closer to home. One big obstacle is that you didn't truly Take Action and Implement everything in the program exactly as specified.

Maybe you took some shortcuts or left something out but the fact remains - you can't have fully Taken Action and Followed Through completely if you are back online 48hrs later, credit card in hand looking for your next fix...the Next Big Thing that will solve all your problems and put you on the right track to success..

Okay so that's the first 2 pieces - Potential & Taking Action

The third is Results. You have the Potential, you've Taken Action and now you want to see some Results for your efforts. You want to see some money in your Paypal account or some Sign-Ups to your List. This is where many people get lost. Results don't always come as nice n' easy as we would like. You may not see anything in the first few weeks but you have to persevere.

You must believe in the system that you are following and not get distracted. Often people don't see Immediate Results and feel pretty down, like they've been wasting their time and there's no hope for them. This is when they hit the Wall....now, do they continue on and believe in the system which they are following or do they bail out and run back to the Next Big Thing system that will start pumping cash into their pockets once they purchase it...

Most people cut their losses (or so they think:rolleyes and run back and buy the Next Big Thing. But the problem with this situation is that no matter how great the product they are buy is - they will NEVER see the true Results for it because they never stick with it long enough for it to work...

And this leads onto the last step - Certainty. What do I mean by Certainty? Well this is where the process becomes a self-fulfilling-prophecy. You either stick with the system, implement it fully and start to see results or you go back to your old ways and repeat the Dreaded Cycle.

If you see Results this will Reaffirm what you are trying to achieve is true and gives your situations Clarity & Certainty. You will now believe in yourself more than ever and you'll be Certain that the path your walking down will bring you the success that you Crave. This leads you back into the cycle again....Potential --> Taking Action --> Results --> Certainty

You now believe in your Potential more than ever before. This drives you on to Take even Greater Action which will only lead to Bigger Results. This Self-Fulfilling-Prophecy now leaves you even more Certain that the path you are taking is the right one and you get more and more focused on your goals and ambitions. Sounds great right?

Well, unfortunately the opposite is also true and I'm sure many of us can relate to it. You think you have Potential, so you buy a product and Take Action....you see little or no Results for your work and so you don't believe in what your doing. You have Certainty but it's the negative form, your Certain of your own failures and so you start the Cycle again, and again, again... Each time you go through it you Reaffirm to yourself that it's the products/systems fault and so you must run back and buy the Next Big Thing that will be the one to lead you to the Promise Land...

Anybody seeing a Pattern Here? There are 2 : One which leads to Longterm success for you and your Business and the other is the Longterm Quest to build a Business that will never happen...that is until something changes...

I think I'll finish up there because I've rambled on for long enough I know I saw a lot of myself in this video when the guys were describing all the difference scenarios that people find themselves in and how some get their Mindset right and go on to achieve great things whilst others never make it into 2nd gear....

Hopefully you've gotten some value out of this and maybe it'll help you see the Bigger Picture at play here...

Anyway sorry for the long post - didn't think it would be this long when I started Lol

Cheers - Noel.
#723% #breese #doomed #failureaccording #frank kern #john breese #kern #robbins #tony robbins
  • Profile picture of the author bobbydiraag
    I too am very familiar with this concept and if you are not aware of the 2 factors then yes, you are doomed..Patterns that occur can be changed if you know they are leading to that horrible last scenario..
    Thats why the mind needs to be put right first then the body will follow..
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6078102].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Bobdarko
    I watched this from Youtube just last night ! I foudn it very insightful. I don't much about Tony Robbins but i think i will look into what he's all about. He certainly a big character!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6078260].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author pearlydean
    Yep I have lots of Frank Kern stuff and also early Tony Robbins...in fact I have the CD set of Get the Edge and Personal Power on my bookshelf in my office now...

    The one thing that holds most people back in my experience is not TAKING ACTION.

    Lot's of people think about it and don't do it.

    When I was in direct sales years ago I used to start each monday morning at 8am and by lunchtime would have earned what most of the other salespeople would earn that week.

    Fast start + taking action = results and $$$
    Signature
    SEO and Reputation Services

    Need SEO Advice? Happy to help just get in touch.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6078326].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author cashp0wer
      I've heard of Frank Kern but never heard any of his stuff. This is very interesting and I will have to go back and listen to some more of his stuff when I have the extra time.
      Signature
      My Internet Marketing Blog - Warts And All!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6078406].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author jbsmith
    Great summary Noel. About 10 years ago I learned a TON about this process from a few people that I sought out to "model" (or at least learn more about). They had figured out business, two of them had a string of 3 successful businesses under their belt. I was curious why they succeeded when many other had not.

    You know what it came down to?

    A completely different outlook on #3...instead of fearing setbacks, challenges or failures they actually looked at the ACTION ---> RESULTS phase as a test phase...where they actually expected their initial try would not work, but knowing that what happened would get them 1 step closer to where they wanted to end up.

    It's really the secret sauce...using the ACTION ----> RESULTS technique to find the right combination and then building it big. There may be a half-dozen resets, but each time they learn more about what will work.

    And...it's not only a technique but a deeply held belief in them that this is the way to build successful businesses. It's not something they must force, it comes rather naturally to them.

    On the other hand, I have come across so many others that are paralyzed by even the slightest thought that their original idea and plan may not work...and still others who hang on to their original plan like it was the only lifeboat in rough seas even though their results are plainly telling them to change course and get it right.

    Since then, I have completely changed my belief system and thoughts on this...now everything is IDEA ---> EXECUTE ---> RESULTS ----> REFINE ---> EXECUTE....until you get it right with the expectation that it will take a few times through before you end up where you want to be.

    Jeff
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6078389].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Deepak Media
    I would like to watch the YouTube video. I don't see any link here to that.
    Signature
    Digital Marketing Author | Speaker | Consultant

    Read my Blog: DigitalDeepak.com

    @ Bangalore, India.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6078417].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Kal Sallam
    Very nice share I loved it. Yes you have to remain confident in the
    System you are following,in most cases you will not see results right away.
    when you fail at your first try, your only one step closer! it took me a minute
    To totally understand this concept.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6078636].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Devin X
    Banned
    MAd props for writing this outline out and sharing this with us. I know I wouldn't have taken the time to do this lol so you have my respect.

    As far as the talk, I'd have to say this is cliche but nonetheless applicable to most people in ANY industry. Too busy chasing a dream and the next big thing and not even focusing long enough to see if something is a viable avenue towards their dream.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6078794].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author David_Thompson
    I've seen that video it isn't bad some good stuff in there but you still have to decipher the message for some it takes time to get to that point where you will make consistent money for some it goes fast for others it takes time they might need to find the right mentor or shift in mindset...

    cool video...
    Signature
    JV partnership wanted, Lets grow your list for free. Nothing to do with giveaways. PM Now
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6079153].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author AliDatoo
    I think this is the video the O.P is referring to:
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6079336].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Dapper Fellow
    I agree that the biggest block to success with IM is the inability to define the end of the task and, of course, the resultant inability to reach an undefined end.

    Imagine how a new freelance writer can be overwhelmed by the sheer number of sites that offer a few dollars for a written piece. Far too much time is spent trying to decide which site to write for each day. Instead, it would be much more productive and profitable to simply pick one at random and write a fixed number of pieces each day for just that site over a 90 day period.

    That is the only way to come to a clear decision to try another site that pays for writing.

    Would that be a dull task? Yes! However, it is the dull tasks that lead to reasonable conclusions.

    Far too many people are simply not willing to spend an entire year working on just one task in order to reach a reasonable conclusion as to whether it is worth the time and effort to continue the second year.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6079405].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Ken Hoffman
    Great post. I've studied Tony a lot. So I'll add these points.

    The biggest reason why people don't take action is lack of focus. Tony often talks about the power of a decision...which means to cut off any other possibility. When you make a true decision...that's a huge first step.

    Belief is nothing more than certainty that something is true. Faith is success on a different arc. Having a disempowering belief actually causes your brain to NOT see things that would have helped you. That's why bad beliefs really screw with your success.

    Determination is what drives people through all the obstacles. It's what ensures action.

    You need to transform who you are to be successful. Most people aren't willing to take the journey. Just like 95% off the people who buy information, never actually use it.

    People are machines. They are massively patterned. We think the same thoughts and do the same things day in and out. To be successful you need to break out of your patterns...and create new habitual patterns of thought and behavior.

    AND there's huge difference between knowing all this stuff and actually experientially doing it. Even after years of this, I find it very helpful to feed my brain with something positive and empowering to keep my "vibration" in success mode.
    Signature
    http://www.warriorforum.com/warriors...ost-sales.html
    Professional Direct Response Copywriting
    50% Off Limited Time Offer!
    "http://www.profitproducingcopy.com"
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6079766].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author YasirYar
    I saw the video last night too - great summary, thanks for posting this.

    I am sure it will help a lot of people realize just what their true potential is.

    I've never quite understood how these percentages are calculated but the information is great! It is not enough to know stuff - doing it is essential.
    Signature

    >>>Get your websites ACTUALLY ranked by checking these out: Quantum SEO Labs, Home Page Link Building & SERP Ability. Want to get rid of negative listings? Check out Reputation Enhancer.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6079849].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author StevenJones
    Just started reading the 4 hour work week by Tim Ferriss and I am already 43 pages in. The text in OP has quite some simalarities of what I've read thus far. Very informative post and I will watch the video in post #11 later on, got this thread bookmarked!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6079888].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Larry Carter
    That's a nice video and just like Ken said focus is key among other things because it's easy to get distracted especially by stuff that just waste your time. I do this all the time but hope to break myself of this habit.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6080223].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author madbe
    Great post, thanks for sharing. As a relative newbie to the world of internet marketing, I can tell you first hand that it's indeed difficult to focus on just one project at a time without getting distracted by the "Next Big Thing" out there. When I'm tempted to stray from my intended path, I look to the words I wrote on my dry board: FOCUS + DETERMINATION + FOLLOW-THROUGH + PATIENCE = SUCCESS!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6080722].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author TD
      I believe the answer to this is a lot simpler...

      It's all about money!

      More accurately, it's about the aversion that people have to
      wealth in general.

      Think about this for a moment, virtually everyone who gets into
      IM knows how to make money...the problem is it's usually in the
      form of a job, something we've been trained to achieve since our
      early school days.

      What happens is that as soon people step out of the role of
      employee and step into the role of entrepeneur, or business
      owner and decide to aim higher they all of a sudden begin
      sabotaging themselves.

      They do all the right things in the begining such as buy the
      books, the software and get the training but as soon as action
      is required it all falls apart.

      Yet, if they were required to do the same in thing in their
      jobs...most of the time they would just do it.

      I believe at the core the problem is that many people associate
      "pain" to both creating and having wealth.

      Much of this is unconscious and reinforced by society and the
      media.

      This however doesn't stop them from buying more books, software
      or training, infact many start buying even more because they
      don't want face up to the inner blocks that are preventing them
      achieving the results they consciously want.

      Just my 2 cents.
      TD
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6082044].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author cjreynolds
        Originally Posted by TD View Post

        I believe the answer to this is a lot simpler...

        It's all about money!

        More accurately, it's about the aversion that people have to
        wealth in general.

        Think about this for a moment, virtually everyone who gets into
        IM knows how to make money...the problem is it's usually in the
        form of a job, something we've been trained to achieve since our
        early school days.

        What happens is that as soon people step out of the role of
        employee and step into the role of entrepeneur, or business
        owner and decide to aim higher they all of a sudden begin
        sabotaging themselves.

        They do all the right things in the begining such as buy the
        books, the software and get the training but as soon as action
        is required it all falls apart.

        Yet, if they were required to do the same in thing in their
        jobs...most of the time they would just do it.

        I believe at the core the problem is that many people associate
        "pain" to both creating and having wealth.

        Much of this is unconscious and reinforced by society and the
        media.

        This however doesn't stop them from buying more books, software
        or training, infact many start buying even more because they
        don't want face up to the inner blocks that are preventing them
        achieving the results they consciously want.

        Just my 2 cents.
        TD
        You really hit on something here. I have a 31-year old daughter who has been immersed in academia (that institution where they're supposed to be teaching how to make make a career, but instead teach how evil money is).

        People who believe money (or those who make a lot of it) is evil will never be successful in building wealth. This boils down to basic principles - I believe that I am a good person - one who doesn't do evil things. Therefore if I believe that being wealthy is evil, then no matter how hard I try to become wealthy, my subconscious mind will throw up roadblocks to prevent my success. Your subconscious mind, controlled by your deep-seated principles and beliefs, will always win out over your conscious mind. Your conscious mind is the part of your mind that you think is making your decisions. This is seldom purely the case.

        That's why you have to have a change in mindset to create wealth - you have to re-program these non-productive beliefs out of your subconscious before it will allow you to be successful.
        Signature

        I just added this sig so I can refer to it in my posts...

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6083123].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Noel Cunningham
    I've enjoyed reading all your responses to the post, some really good points made and a lot of stuff I need to absorb and think about....Oh and ya, that's the video I'm referring to above. Cheers for finding that

    Just for full Disclosure I got myself a mentor who I'm trying to learn how to build a sustainable, successful online business from. I've had success in the past in affiliate marketing and kindle ebooks but I really wanted to Learn this Game from the bottom up...

    Being from Ireland there is a common begrudgery towards Entrepreneurs or those who try to do something a little "outside the box" The general response when hearing of some wealthy business owner who's fallen on hard times is usually a wry smile and a " good enough for him..." type comment. You read about this everyday in the papers.

    This sort of thinking is found everywhere is society and from what I gather (correct me if I'm wrong) is different from the States...whereby if someones business fails in Ireland they are ridiculed and looked down upon whereas in the US it's just seen as an obstacle, a challenge to be overcome before you achieve Real Success.

    All this Conditioning had me full of fear about Failing - I was afraid to try something new or launch a business idea because I didn't want to Fail. This mindset held me back for a long time until I was told by my mentor to...

    "Fail Forward - Fast!"

    I was kinda thrown at first but I've gotten use to it now and see each failure as a stepping stone, a lesson to be learnt which will eventually help me gain the success that I want.

    For me anyway, this shift in thinking has been Huge and since taking on a more positive look on things I feel a lot more confident, believe in myself more and know that I can achieve my goals....albeit with time and effort.

    Gonna look through you comments again and maybe save down some of you points for future reference...but the moral of the story is Keep your Head in the Game and Keep Believing in yourself. It's when you lose that Belief in yourself that you're in trouble..
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6084873].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author luane
    I have also watched a lot of videos from the same guys including John Assaraf who teaches the same concept. We sometimes get "stuck" not with the process of what we know we need do to create income on line, but what we don't know, what we fear, and the fear of success coming too quickly.

    Most of us are taught from early on that great wealth brings great sorrow. On the other hand, great poverty brings great sorrow. Other than health issues, not having enough money to pay your bills will kill you from the stress alone. And not being able to financial help those you love? That's a killer too.

    So we have an internal conflict about money and this "online thing" both struggling within our brain - both having a loud voice.

    What I have learned from much self-improvement education, is that if you can
    quiet the voices of doubt, fear, anxiety and worry and focus your brain and thoughts on success, joy, generosity and love for people, you can quiet those other thoughts. It is a daily skill. It is a constant battle, sometimes every hour. But it can be done.

    These things ARE true:

    If you think you can or you think you can't - you are right about both.
    If you dream it, you can achieve it (eventually if you don't give up.)
    Good things come to those who...take action.
    If you believe in yourself, nothing can stop you.

    And I will add....from my own personal experience.

    With God all things are possible for He is my source and strength
    every hour when those negative thoughts come pounding away
    at my brain.

    P.S. When you have ANY KIND of success online, be it a click,
    a hop, or an optin or a visitor to your website - CELEBRATE.

    You are further ahead than you were yesterday!

    There are many programs online. Find one. Stick it. Stick it. Stick it.

    Kristie
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6084921].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author sloanjim
    I agree in that 80% of people lack the right mental attitude to succeed in any business. But timing is just as important. Some pretty lazy/stupid people made big money by being in the right place at the right time. Maybe they could have made 10X more had they not been stupid/ lazy but get my point?

    Too much emphasis on "working hard, put more effort in " etc....only if you are going in the right direction at the right time.
    Signature

    15 Minute Forex Bar Trading System Free at
    http://www.fxscalpingmethod.com

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6084971].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author IMHunter
    I have also watched that video. It is great and very motivational.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6085070].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author jolarry
    Nice post! Believe in your product is important to sell, but we must remain neutral.
    Signature
    Get thousands of Real Fans/Likes with BulkFans.com!
    Our special -10% Warrior DISCOUNT OFFER using this coupon code: WARRIOR10
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6085112].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Colin Theriot
    There's a thing peculiar to info-consuming niches that these dudes fail to address. Tony compares the problem to quitting smoking or losing weight insofar as examples of "not taking action" but those are different.

    In IM, it's not just a fear to act or resistance to a change. Whenever you have a consumption element, you get into dealing with something called "Information Bias".

    Info Bias is a cognitive flaw, present in every human brain. It's an error in our "common sense" programming that causes us to get stuck in a loop. Essentially, the flaw is that we are really bad at determining "how much" info is "enough" to make a meaningful decision to act or not on a given subject.

    So basically, in niches where there is limitless information available, you can get stuck constantly consuming info to "get ready" for when you WILL take action. Once you learn everything you need to know, you'll get started. But there is a NEVER ENDING flow of things you NEED to know.

    So people consume endlessly, and act never. That's the flaw here that CANNOT be overcome by ANYTHING you include in an info-product or training, because to CONSUME that training itself is a continuation of the "loop" behavior.

    And in fact, all the dudes in this video conversations are smart dudes. They are probably VERY aware of what Info Bias is, and how it works. It's the REASON their entire niches can even exist. It's how you can sell "solutions" and yet have "repeat customers" - you can literally sell the same solutions over and over with slight variations, and people in "Info Bias" mode will gobble it endlessly like a goose getting force-fed to make fois-gras.

    It's what drives this entire industry. To "cure" the problem (which is IMPOSSIBLE, really) would mean the death of info-products as a business model.

    But like I said - fortunately it's an unsolvable problem, so no one worry. Your income is safe.

    Also, be aware that there's absolutely NOTHING WRONG with creating products that are MEANT to be pure info to be consumed. Treating ANY info niche as an info-tainment kind of deal is a very profitable approach. It's how you approach ANY OTHER info niche online. But for some reason, people who are providers in IM get this bug in their head about wanting to "cure" paralysis-by-analysis.

    You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink. So don't build your sense of accomplishment or satisfaction in helping people online around the drinking part. Because you CANNOT make them. Just be satisfied in getting good at leading them to the creek, and be master yourself enough to stay out of info-bias loops.

    It's really easy. Just set goals, and deadlines for reaching them. If you make real consequences for those deadlines, you WILL stop screwing around and take action. It's how I get my writing work done. And you'll find it's how lots of effective people work as well. It's not just the "goal" or the "end state" - it's the deadline that MAKES you switch off of "get ready" and into "get it done" mode.

    Anyways, food for thought. I think the whole video from those guys is really just to position them as guys that "want" to help with that problem. That makes them attract people who are on the cusp. When they tip over on their own, these dudes get a modicum of credit for it. And then get to use that to go right on selling more info for the consumers to consume.

    Good trick. Pay attention.
    Signature

    Fair warning: It's possible I'm arguing with you because I have nothing better to do.
    Join my free copywriting group on Facebook: http://CultOfCopy.com

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6085242].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author TD
      Originally Posted by Colin Theriot View Post

      It's what drives this entire
      industry. To "cure" the problem (which is IMPOSSIBLE, really)
      would mean the death of info-products as a business model.

      But like I said - fortunately it's an unsolvable problem, so no
      one worry. Your income is safe.
      Is this why info marketers are so heavilly criticised?

      It's true that many marketers have grown wealthy from selling
      info-products that have a failure rate of well over 70%, but it
      doesn't make it right, in fact it actually devalues their
      products.

      I believe that too many people adopt the info-marketing business
      model for quick gains, rather than focusing on providing real
      solutions.

      Look at these businesses that have grown from the internet boom:

      - Amazon
      - Google
      - Facebook
      - Apple

      These companies provide a real product or service and have been
      heavilly rewarded for it.

      From my own experience in the area of personal growth,
      information on it's doesn't actually cut it, you have to provide
      actual tools that create shifts in a persons mindset, however
      the majority of people haven't grasped this yet.

      Most people still hang on to the idea that knowledge is power
      (which it is) but if you're not getting the results you want it
      means that you still lack the relevant knowledge.

      This is why I do not sell info-products per se but rather tools
      where you can measure the results.

      I agree that the info-product industry isn't going to disappear
      anytime soon, but that doesn't mean it will be around forever
      in its present form.

      Just my 2 cents.
      TD
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6085805].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Colin Theriot
        Originally Posted by TD View Post

        Is this why info marketers are so heavilly criticised?
        No, it's mostly envy.

        Originally Posted by TD View Post

        It's true that many marketers have grown wealthy from selling
        info-products that have a failure rate of well over 70%, but it
        doesn't make it right, in fact it actually devalues their
        products.
        Information CAN NOT HAVE a "failure rate" - it's just information. People have the failure rate. And like I said, you can lead them to water, but you can't make them drink. The saying isn't "you can't make them drink unless you try really hard and shift their mindset and help them set reasonable goals and make accomplishable plans to achieve them..." You can't. Literally can't.

        Originally Posted by TD View Post

        I believe that too many people adopt the info-marketing business
        model for quick gains, rather than focusing on providing real
        solutions.
        They don't adopt it because it's quick, but also because it's easy, has low overhead, and low risk compared to any other kind of business.

        Originally Posted by TD View Post

        Look at these businesses that have grown from the internet boom:

        - Amazon
        - Google
        - Facebook
        - Apple

        These companies provide a real product or service and have been
        heavilly rewarded for it.
        Amazon grew selling books and music, which are info product.
        Google organizes web pages based on topic (websites are "free" info product)
        Facebook is essentially a way to get even grandmas creating and consuming info product.
        Apple makes devices on which to consume more and richer info products.

        Originally Posted by TD View Post

        From my own experience in the area of personal growth,
        information on it's doesn't actually cut it, you have to provide
        actual tools that create shifts in a persons mindset, however
        the majority of people haven't grasped this yet.
        Why do you HAVE TO do any of that? I'm not in the business of selling mindset shifts. Go see a psychologist if you want that. I wouldn't even know HOW to do that. The best behavioral scientists in the world don't know how to do that. The richest companies on the face of the earth don't know how to make people take action or else they would do it to their employees to make them work more and do it to their customers to make them buy more.

        If this problem were even POSSIBLE to solve, someone, somewhere would be good at it. And no one is. So why beat yourself up trying to create a product that can do it?

        Originally Posted by TD View Post

        Most people still hang on to the idea that knowledge is power
        (which it is) but if you're not getting the results you want it
        means that you still lack the relevant knowledge.

        This is why I do not sell info-products per se but rather tools
        where you can measure the results.
        Good for you. Are you rich yet?

        Originally Posted by TD View Post

        I agree that the info-product industry isn't going to disappear
        anytime soon, but that doesn't mean it will be around forever
        in its present form.
        The right way to say that is, "the info-product industry will never go away, and will only adapt to include new media as they are invented."
        Signature

        Fair warning: It's possible I'm arguing with you because I have nothing better to do.
        Join my free copywriting group on Facebook: http://CultOfCopy.com

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6086381].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author TD
          Hi Colin

          I read your signature so I'm assuming that you're not out for an
          argument but are simply expressing your opinion, which I
          respect.

          So, let me answer your points...

          No, it's mostly envy.

          Sorry but I have to disagree, to put all criticisms to an info
          product down to envy is a poor excuse, especially when you
          consider that many marketers neglect mention the fact that most
          people fail to get results on their sales pages.

          Information CAN NOT HAVE a "failure rate" - it's just
          information. People have the failure rate. And like I said, you
          can lead them to water, but you can't make them drink. The
          saying isn't "you can't make them drink unless you try really
          hard and shift their mindset and help them set reasonable goals
          and make accomplishable plans to achieve them..." You can't.
          Literally can't.

          In this instance information is the product and its promising a
          result if in that product you fail to mention or understand the
          fact that most people will fail to follow your instructions or
          advice due to their own psychological issues then you're product
          is flawed, this is why people offer coaching and mentoring
          programs.

          This doesn't mean that you can't sell info products but it does
          mean that you can't promise the moon and be surprised when they
          ask for a refund.

          In my view information is only the beginning...

          They don't adopt it because it's quick, but also because it's
          easy, has low overhead, and ow risk compared to any other
          kind of business.

          It may be easy but isn't that why most of them fail? Can you
          really defend a business model that only works for a small
          percentage of the people in it?

          Amazon grew selling books and music, which are info product.
          Google organizes web pages based on topic (websites are "free"
          info product)
          Facebook is essentially a way to get even grandmas creating and
          consuming info product.
          Apple makes devices on which to consume more and richer info
          products

          Amazon is essentially a service that makes products available
          for sale that's the service it sells; Google sells advertising
          space on its platform for where people search for information,
          Facebook is a platform for allowing people to communicate with
          each other, Apple sells a variety of products that solve a
          specific problem, yes you can make the argument that they also
          sell info products but you could say the same thing about the
          post office. In the end these businesses provide tangible
          products or services that for the most part deliver on what they
          will do.

          Why do you HAVE TO do any of that? I'm not in the business of
          selling mindset shifts. Go see a psychologist if you want that.
          I wouldn't even know HOW to do that. The best behavioral
          scientists in the world don't know how to do that. The richest
          companies on the face of the earth don't know how to make people
          take action or else they would do it to their employees
          to make them work more and do it to their customers to make them
          buy more

          You don't, but many of your customers are looking for solutions
          to their problems and being an info marketer doesn't exempt
          anyone from that, which is why certain products have such high
          refund rate. You may think your just selling information and
          there's nothing wrong with that, but many buyers are looking for
          a solution to their problem.

          Don't get me wrong I think many buyers purchase information
          thinking that's all they need to do and the concept of personal
          responsibility seems to go completely out the window when it
          comes to people purchasing products online so they play the
          blame game.

          Good for you. Are you rich yet?

          From your question I'm assuming you're wondering whether I'm one
          of those who are envious of others who made great incomes from
          selling info-products, so let's clear that up I'm NOT.

          I have a thriving coaching and training business, I sell various
          digital products and I own the rights to various rapid change
          technologies, which I've developed, so yes I'm doing pretty well
          and I have great plans for the future.

          The right way to say that is, "the info-product industry will
          never go away, and will only adapt to include new media as they
          are invented."

          In my experience you should never say never, we live in a world
          where a technology that didn't exist prior to 1990 now dominates
          worldwide communications. Facebook didn't even exist when the
          warrior forum began and many of the people looking at ways to
          make money online at that time couldn't even imagine the concept
          of Facebook as a way of making money.

          The essence of what I'm saying is this, if you talk to really
          successful individuals especially in business they'll tell you
          the same thing; that over 90% of their success comes from their
          mindset and NOT what they do because without the right mindset
          you'll never even get started.

          Even though there is consistent evidence of this buyers and
          sellers focus mostly on tools rather than the person using those
          tools, which in the end is why so many people fail.

          Just my 2 cents.
          TD
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6088355].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author tylerherman
            Just putting in the work is the hardest thing for most people to do but after that, most people fail because they are not able to critique their own work and make revisions to improve.

            They see the website they built, or squeeze page or product that isn't making money but aren't able to understand how to improve it.

            You have to make lots of mistakes along the way but most people hit their first couple mistakes and just don't know what to do from there. They don't adapt or improve they either keep doing what they were doing or give up.
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6088581].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Colin Theriot
            Originally Posted by TD View Post

            Hi Colin

            I read your signature so I'm assuming that you're not out for an
            argument but are simply expressing your opinion, which I
            respect.

            So, let me answer your points...
            OK, so you responded point by point, but seemed to miss my meaning entirely.

            To paraphrase and restate, I said:

            A. Information products, by definition, cannot ever MAKE people do as they instruct, no matter how good they are. It's an impossible problem no one has ever figured out how to do. So as a product producer, it's not really worth agonizing over, since you can't do it anyway. Worry about providing good info. It's really all you can do.

            B. People who buy information in niches that combine endless new info to consume... as well as requiring action to make progress within the niche (not just IM, but like, golf, for example) can lead to triggering a mental bias people have where they have a tendency to over-prepare for action, wanting to consume all relevant information before acting.

            This would NORMALLY be PRUDENT. But in a case where new content is continuous, you simply need to FORCE yourself to have an "enough" so you can get started.

            C. This bias loop is actually WHY info products sell so well in niches like IM. And to "cure" that bias would be to damage the success of the business, not a benefit to it. At least as far as being able to get repeat sales from the same customer over time.

            Because if your free e-book or whatever could magically FIX people and turn them into go-getters, they would get rich and not need to buy ANY IM materials any more, good or bad. But I also made it clear that this is just a thought exercise, because the bias won't go away. And also, info-products never stop being sold. Information is always valuable when marketed effectively, no matter what the medium.

            All the businesses you named made their fortunes by serving peoples' desire to consume informational content. IE, the easier way to find the info you want... the easier way to buy and get the books and music you want shipped right to you... the easier way to buy and listen to music... the easier way to buy and consume computer games and other apps... etc.

            My point with that observation re those companies is simply that people will have and endless need to consume information, even totally worthless information, like Twilight, for example. So we info-product creators have nothing to worry about. Not solving the "action taker" formula will have zero effect on the fortunes to be made selling info.

            In light of my three main points though, your responses all seem to try to counter with the point that "Some marketers lie in their marketing and that's bad!"

            I agree, but I'm not really sure how that counters what I was saying at all.

            I was talking about some useful psychological marketing stuff that people might find beneficial. If you just want to turn this into another guru-bashing thread, OK. But I feel like there are already plenty of those, no?
            Signature

            Fair warning: It's possible I'm arguing with you because I have nothing better to do.
            Join my free copywriting group on Facebook: http://CultOfCopy.com

            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6089066].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author TD
              Originally Posted by Colin Theriot View Post

              No, it's mostly envy.



              Information CAN NOT HAVE a "failure rate" - it's just information. People have the failure rate. And like I said, you can lead them to water, but you can't make them drink. The saying isn't "you can't make them drink unless you try really hard and shift their mindset and help them set reasonable goals and make accomplishable plans to achieve them..." You can't. Literally can't.



              They don't adopt it because it's quick, but also because it's easy, has low overhead, and low risk compared to any other kind of business.



              Amazon grew selling books and music, which are info product.
              Google organizes web pages based on topic (websites are "free" info product)
              Facebook is essentially a way to get even grandmas creating and consuming info product.
              Apple makes devices on which to consume more and richer info products.



              Why do you HAVE TO do any of that? I'm not in the business of selling mindset shifts. Go see a psychologist if you want that. I wouldn't even know HOW to do that. The best behavioral scientists in the world don't know how to do that. The richest companies on the face of the earth don't know how to make people take action or else they would do it to their employees to make them work more and do it to their customers to make them buy more.

              If this problem were even POSSIBLE to solve, someone, somewhere would be good at it. And no one is. So why beat yourself up trying to create a product that can do it?



              Good for you. Are you rich yet?



              The right way to say that is, "the info-product industry will never go away, and will only adapt to include new media as they are invented."
              Originally Posted by Colin Theriot View Post

              OK, so you responded point by point, but seemed to miss my meaning entirely.

              To paraphrase and restate, I said:

              A. Information products, by definition, cannot ever MAKE people do as they instruct, no matter how good they are. It's an impossible problem no one has ever figured out how to do. So as a product producer, it's not really worth agonizing over, since you can't do it anyway. Worry about providing good info. It's really all you can do.

              B. People who buy information in niches that combine endless new info to consume... as well as requiring action to make progress within the niche (not just IM, but like, golf, for example) can lead to triggering a mental bias people have where they have a tendency to over-prepare for action, wanting to consume all relevant information before acting.

              This would NORMALLY be PRUDENT. But in a case where new content is continuous, you simply need to FORCE yourself to have an "enough" so you can get started.

              C. This bias loop is actually WHY info products sell so well in niches like IM. And to "cure" that bias would be to damage the success of the business, not a benefit to it. At least as far as being able to get repeat sales from the same customer over time.

              Because if your free e-book or whatever could magically FIX people and turn them into go-getters, they would get rich and not need to buy ANY IM materials any more, good or bad. But I also made it clear that this is just a thought exercise, because the bias won't go away. And also, info-products never stop being sold. Information is always valuable when marketed effectively, no matter what the medium.

              All the businesses you named made their fortunes by serving peoples' desire to consume informational content. IE, the easier way to find the info you want... the easier way to buy and get the books and music you want shipped right to you... the easier way to buy and listen to music... the easier way to buy and consume computer games and other apps... etc.

              My point with that observation re those companies is simply that people will have and endless need to consume information, even totally worthless information, like Twilight, for example. So we info-product creators have nothing to worry about. Not solving the "action taker" formula will have zero effect on the fortunes to be made selling info.

              In light of my three main points though, your responses all seem to try to counter with the point that "Some marketers lie in their marketing and that's bad!"

              I agree, but I'm not really sure how that counters what I was saying at all.

              I was talking about some useful psychological marketing stuff that people might find beneficial. If you just want to turn this into another guru-bashing thread, OK. But I feel like there are already plenty of those, no?
              It seems that you have also missed my point, so let me clarify.

              I am not accusing any marketers of being liars or bashing guru's
              my point was that the business model of selling only information
              in the "make money niche" that so many people want to defend
              only seems to make profits for a minority, if you feel thats
              bashing then thats your choice...not everyone who challenges
              conventional wisdom is neccessarily out to bash any person or
              group.

              Also, I'm making the distinction between selling "content" and
              "solutions" as a business owner my experience is that people are
              looking for the latter.

              This thread began as discussion about the high failure rate in
              IM, and the core reasons for that, which in my view has much to
              do with how people relate to money.

              In the game of buyers and sellers both groups are indivdually
              responsible for the choices they make, however personally I
              believe in selling solutions rather than just content because I
              know that in many cases that simply isn't enough.

              TD
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6089254].message }}
              • Profile picture of the author Colin Theriot
                Originally Posted by TD View Post

                I am not accusing any marketers of being liars or bashing guru's
                I could have misunderstood.

                Originally Posted by TD View Post

                my point was that the business model of selling only information in the "make money niche" that so many people want to defend
                only seems to make profits for a minority,
                Name me any business on earth where most of the people that try it succeed at it. That's not this niche or business model. That's business. 20% of the people in any given business are making most of the money, the rest of the 80% are struggling.

                Originally Posted by TD View Post

                if you feel thats bashing then thats your choice...not everyone who challenges conventional wisdom is neccessarily out to bash any person or group.
                How about we call it "disparaging" rather than bashing?

                Originally Posted by TD View Post

                Also, I'm making the distinction between selling "content" and "solutions" as a business owner my experience is that people are looking for the latter.
                That's just semantics. Information products contain lots of solutions. All the copy I write starts with identifying a specific problem so I can frame the product as its solution.

                But that's still not really saying anything. Owning a solution doesn't solve a problem - people would still need to decide to take action on their own, and the people who don't will be either unhappy with your product or unhappy with themselves. And there's literally nothing you can do to prevent that. It doesn't really have anything to do with your "content" or your "solution".

                Originally Posted by TD View Post

                This thread began as discussion about the high failure rate in IM, and the core reasons for that, which in my view has much to do with how people relate to money.
                Nah, because people have the high failure rate at EVERYTHING, not just business. It's not about money, it's about human nature.

                Originally Posted by TD View Post

                In the game of buyers and sellers both groups are indivdually responsible for the choices they make,
                Caveat Emptor and all that.

                Originally Posted by TD View Post

                however personally I believe in selling solutions rather than just content because I know that in many cases that simply isn't enough.
                The only difference between "content" and a "solution" is the marketing. Your products are fundamentally no different than any other info product other than the fact you call them "Solutions" - they still have the same issue of lack of implementation as anything else. If you have a higher rate of success among your customers, it's not that your product is better - it's that you've more effectively marketed it so that only people pre-disposed to taking action are buying.

                If your business depends on the results of your buyers, that's certainly a good strategy. Because even though the action-taker succeed because of THEM and not YOU, they still give you credit, which makes for awesome testimonials. That's just smart business/marketing integration right there.

                However, not every business depends on the RESULT people get from their products. If you don't guarantee a result, if you don't promise anything other than the information itself, that's not a negative. It's just responsible marketing. Sometimes being uninformed and uneducated on a topic is enough of a "problem" that all you need to solve it satisfactorily is well-researched and well organized information.

                And you can just as easily charge huge amounts for information alone as you can for a result-getting-action-taking kind of product. It all comes down to marketing it well enough.
                Signature

                Fair warning: It's possible I'm arguing with you because I have nothing better to do.
                Join my free copywriting group on Facebook: http://CultOfCopy.com

                {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6089326].message }}
                • Profile picture of the author TD
                  Originally Posted by Colin Theriot View Post

                  I could have misunderstood.



                  Name me any business on earth where most of the people that try it succeed at it. That's not this niche or business model. That's business. 20% of the people in any given business are making most of the money, the rest of the 80% are struggling.



                  How about we call it "disparaging" rather than bashing?



                  That's just semantics. Information products contain lots of solutions. All the copy I write starts with identifying a specific problem so I can frame the product as its solution.

                  But that's still not really saying anything. Owning a solution doesn't solve a problem - people would still need to decide to take action on their own, and the people who don't will be either unhappy with your product or unhappy with themselves. And there's literally nothing you can do to prevent that. It doesn't really have anything to do with your "content" or your "solution".



                  Nah, because people have the high failure rate at EVERYTHING, not just business. It's not about money, it's about human nature.



                  Caveat Emptor and all that.



                  The only difference between "content" and a "solution" is the marketing. Your products are fundamentally no different than any other info product other than the fact you call them "Solutions" - they still have the same issue of lack of implementation as anything else. If you have a higher rate of success among your customers, it's not that your product is better - it's that you've more effectively marketed it so that only people pre-disposed to taking action are buying.

                  If your business depends on the results of your buyers, that's certainly a good strategy. Because even though the action-taker succeed because of THEM and not YOU, they still give you credit, which makes for awesome testimonials. That's just smart business/marketing integration right there.

                  However, not every business depends on the RESULT people get from their products. If you don't guarantee a result, if you don't promise anything other than the information itself, that's not a negative. It's just responsible marketing. Sometimes being uninformed and uneducated on a topic is enough of a "problem" that all you need to solve it satisfactorily is well-researched and well organized information.

                  And you can just as easily charge huge amounts for information alone as you can for a result-getting-action-taking kind of product. It all comes down to marketing it well enough.

                  Name me any business on earth where most of the people that try
                  it succeed at it. That's not this niche or business model.

                  That's business. 20% of the people in any given business are
                  making most of the money, the rest of the 80% are struggling.

                  You're quite right and the number is probably higher but the
                  issue I'm making here is the business model of selling
                  information that people simply don't apply.

                  How about we call it "disparaging" rather than bashing?

                  How about we call it a mature discussion?

                  That's just semantics. Information products contain lots of
                  solutions. All the copy I write starts with identifying a
                  specific problem so I can frame the product as its solution.

                  But that's still not really saying anything. Owning a solution
                  doesn't solve a problem - people would still need to decide to
                  take action on their own, and the people who don't will be
                  either unhappy with your product or unhappy with themselves.

                  And there's literally nothing you can do to prevent that. It
                  doesn't really have anything to do with your "content" or your
                  "solution".

                  What I'm discussing here is the selling of pure information
                  without adequate understanding of what it takes to get people to
                  take action, and often an insufficient understanding about what
                  it takes to create results.

                  Nah, because people have the high failure rate at EVERYTHING,
                  not just business. It's not about money, it's about human
                  nature.

                  ...I will have to seriously disagree with you there; I don't buy
                  the human nature argument, from my experience it has much more
                  to do with cause and effect, and the mindset of the individual
                  and I have uncovered ample evidence that clearly shows the
                  linkage between people's attitudes to money and their inability
                  to create wealth.

                  The only difference between "content" and a "solution" is the
                  marketing. Your products are fundamentally no different than any
                  other info product other than the fact you call them
                  "Solutions" - they still have the same issue of lack of
                  implementation as anything else. If you have a higher rate of
                  success among your customers, it's not that your product is
                  better - it's that you've more effectively marketed it so that
                  only people pre-disposed to taking action are buying.

                  So what you're saying is that no product is good or bad it's
                  just the people that you're marketing them to, seems a little
                  too convenient and doesn't really answer the question as to why
                  so many top marketers who are experts in their fields manage to
                  get failure rates of over 70% (if the figures in the video are
                  accurate) are you saying that they all managed to market their
                  products to the wrong people?

                  It's just responsible marketing. Sometimes being uninformed and
                  uneducated on a topic is enough of a "problem" that all you need
                  to solve it satisfactorily is well-researched and well organized
                  information.

                  That's quite true when the actual result that's required is just
                  information, but what I'm discussing here is the info-product
                  that requires action or it's basically useless. Does this mean
                  I'm "disparaging" guru's I don't think so, it's an honest
                  discussion about an issue that comes up time and again.

                  Just my 2 cents.

                  TD
                  {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6089535].message }}
                  • Profile picture of the author Colin Theriot
                    Originally Posted by TD View Post

                    You're quite right and the number is probably higher but the issue I'm making here is the business model of selling information that people simply don't apply.
                    I'm not sure I understand what you're saying here.

                    Originally Posted by TD View Post

                    What I'm discussing here is the selling of pure information without adequate understanding of what it takes to get people to take action, and often an insufficient understanding about what it takes to create results.
                    And what I'm saying is that there is plenty of information that is desirable to consume that is not tied to a result. And what I'm also saying is that NO ONE has an adequate understanding of what it takes to get people to take action. That's what the dude is talking about in the video. And that's the case REGARDLESS of if the person teaching the info has an understanding of how to get results or not. That's what they are saying - that DESPITE their ability to get their own results, and to teach SOME people to do the same, there is still a MAJORITY that they CANNOT budge.

                    Originally Posted by TD View Post

                    ...I will have to seriously disagree with you there; I don't buy the human nature argument, from my experience it has much more to do with cause and effect, and the mindset of the individual
                    and I have uncovered ample evidence that clearly shows the linkage between people's attitudes to money and their inability to create wealth.
                    Whatever, it's not even germane to the discussion. You just like to argue. You say it's specifically to do with attitudes to money, I say it's just the exact same emotional limitations that keep people fat, or from taking action to change their life in any other way. They're afraid of whatever it is, business, wealth, relationships, etc. - because they don't understand it. We're saying the same thing.

                    Originally Posted by TD View Post

                    So what you're saying is that no product is good or bad it's just the people that you're marketing them to,
                    I don't know how you arrived at this from what I said. I must have been unclear. That's definitely NOT what I meant.

                    Originally Posted by TD View Post

                    seems a little too convenient and doesn't really answer the question as to why so many top marketers who are experts in their fields manage to get failure rates of over 70% (if the figures in the video are accurate) are you saying that they all managed to market their products to the wrong people?
                    No, this is exactly what I'm saying - that no matter HOW GOOD these top marketers are at doing what they do and teaching what they do, they are STILL experiencing a 70% non-action rate. That's because of what I said - info products CAN NOT MAKE people take action. Doesn't matter how good they are, doesn't matter how much they cost. That's the percentage globally of "how many people don't just do the **** they say they want to do."

                    What I was saying about marketing to the right people is that if you have a BETTER "action-taking" rate than that one, it's not that you're better at making people take action, it's that you have more targeted marketing and you're only selling to the 30% of people who take action anyways, while the 70% who wouldn't anyways are shopping elsewhere.

                    Originally Posted by TD View Post

                    That's quite true when the actual result that's required is just information, but what I'm discussing here is the info-product that requires action or it's basically useless.
                    Well what about it? If you take that kind of product, and you sell it to everyone who wants it, no matter how good it is, no matter how much it costs, 70% of people will not do anything with it. Period. Some of that 70% of people won't even consider that a "failure" because they didn't buy it to "Do" - they bought it to "get ready". They are satisfied with the purchase. So what's the issue? A 70% inaction rate is not a "failure" rate. It doesn't mean there was anything at all wrong with the product or the marketing. A 70% REFUND rate is a "failure" rate.

                    Should the product creator CARE whether or not people USE his product? I say that since you literally CANNOT make people do it, what's the point in feeling bad for the people who don't? As long as I give it my best shot, that's all I can do. If someone can afford what I'm selling, and they want it, I don't care if they intend to print it out, roll it up and smoke it. As long as they are happy with that, I am happy with keeping their money.
                    Signature

                    Fair warning: It's possible I'm arguing with you because I have nothing better to do.
                    Join my free copywriting group on Facebook: http://CultOfCopy.com

                    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6089978].message }}
                    • Profile picture of the author Michael Oksa
                      Originally Posted by Colin Theriot View Post

                      You just like to argue.
                      LOL! Now THAT'S funny!
                      Signature

                      "Ich bin en fuego!"
                      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6091872].message }}
                      • Profile picture of the author Colin Theriot
                        Originally Posted by Michael Oksa View Post

                        LOL! Now THAT'S funny!
                        Shouldn't I be able to identify my own kind? It's not like I'm the pot calling the kettle black. I very clearly advertise my argumentative nature. People who choose to proceed with me in spite of that *probably* have the same hobbies, lol. The difference is in how when I argue, I usually don't care if I'm right.
                        Signature

                        Fair warning: It's possible I'm arguing with you because I have nothing better to do.
                        Join my free copywriting group on Facebook: http://CultOfCopy.com

                        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6092766].message }}
                    • Profile picture of the author TD
                      Originally Posted by Colin Theriot View Post

                      Should the product creator CARE whether or not people USE his product? I say that since you literally CANNOT make people do it, what's the point in feeling bad for the people who don't? As long as I give it my best shot, that's all I can do. If someone can afford what I'm selling, and they want it, I don't care if they intend to print it out, roll it up and smoke it. As long as they are happy with that, I am happy with keeping their money.
                      If thats how you truly feel about your customers then there's really nothing else to say.

                      TD
                      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6093073].message }}
                      • Profile picture of the author Colin Theriot
                        Originally Posted by TD View Post

                        If thats how you truly feel about your customers then there's really nothing else to say.

                        TD
                        Haha, shows what you know! But seriously - anyone else? I'm honestly curious if other people think this makes me a jerk or not. (It's possible - I am totally a jerk in plenty of areas.)

                        I specified that all I care about is that the customer is happy with what they bought. I let them define what they want to do with it. If they are happy to download it and save it to their hard drive and never even open the file -Then hey, I'm happy too.

                        I don't make like, hand made violins where I've lost hours of my life to craft an artistic creation they are keeping from others. It harms no one but themselves if they don't take action, and hey, that's entirely their business.

                        If I state what they need to do, if I market it accurately, and I give good information - that's all I can do. It seems bananas to me to pin my happiness or satisfaction over the exchange on what for or whether they ever do anything with it.

                        Do I WANT them to use it as described and get awesome results? Of course. And I want them to tell their friends and give me a testimonial and become affiliates and praise me in public and make me rich.

                        But do I care if they don't? If they want a refund, they get one. If they're satisfied, I'm satisfied. Period. If they want me to be responsible for their results, they can hire me and pay me what I charge for that kind of work.
                        Signature

                        Fair warning: It's possible I'm arguing with you because I have nothing better to do.
                        Join my free copywriting group on Facebook: http://CultOfCopy.com

                        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6093159].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Noel Cunningham
        Originally Posted by TD View Post

        Is this why info marketers are so heavilly criticised?

        It's true that many marketers have grown wealthy from selling
        info-products that have a failure rate of well over 70%, but it
        doesn't make it right, in fact it actually devalues their
        products.

        TD
        it actually devalues their products.... My thinking on this was that it wasn't the products fault that I was failing - but my own. I was looking through my HD earlier and to see the amount of information in there it's astonishing...

        You never notice it as you buy each ebook one-by-one but when you organize them and see a couple of hundred info. products staring back at you one has to admit - they can't all be wrong, they can't all be crappy products that I was duped into buying? the problem lies with me!!

        So I guess what I'm trying to say is that the products still hold their value but they are not seen as valuable because no results were achieved. Why were no results achieved - because I didn't implement the systems as outlined fully or for long enough.

        So the system hasn't failed - but I have failed the system and then re-enter the cycle to do it all again
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6088161].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author WittyBlogger
    Originally Posted by Noel Cunningham View Post

    From what I can remember the 4 pieces were :
    Potential --> Taking Action --> Results --> Certainty
    I personally think most people are stuck around the "Taking Action" or "Results" portion. That's because of their mindset and resources - I wouldn't really think it has to do with whether they want to do it or not.

    They either have no bleeding idea what works - due to the recycled crap being put out in the marketplace... or they have no blinking reason for them to carry on with their methods without results.

    And most of them usually don't get results because they don't invest their money wisely. Sometimes, investing in a better copy or driving better traffic to their page requires a larger fee - and some people don't take the leap.

    They're afraid of risk. They're afraid to fail. They're afraid to leave their comfort zones and slog their hearts and minds out.

    I know a self-made millionaire who got his first million at the age of 23. Just 12 months back, he was struggling to even get his food.

    Does it have anything to do with potential? I kind of doubt so from my real experience... (though of course, having the right mindset really does unclog people from negative cycles)

    -wittyblogger
    Signature
    7-figure entrepreneurs aren't made overnight. You can make money online with a full time income through blogging and making words crackle with energy. ;)
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6085865].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Marko87
    Fantastic post Noel, I'm going to check out the video over the weekend.

    The whole "taking action" mantra has been said so much that it has somewhat become cliched,but, it's so true.

    More often than not the people who just go ahead and do rather than theorise and ponder on methods and potential outcomes are the ones that really succeed in anything in life.

    The whole idea of people believing wealth is evil is very interesting as well. Those people that spread hate about wealthy people are the ones who are constantly dreaming about winning the lottery or how much better things would be if they were rich.

    I remember reading an interesting passage in Duncan Bannatyne's book (I'm sure it was him but don't quote me on it) where he asked the question about how many people do you know who say they would like to be rich and how many people say they are going to be rich.

    In short he was saying everybody would like to be wealthy but very little people set out with the goal of becoming better off and keep going for that no matter how many set backs they have.

    focus and application are crucial to success IMO
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6085975].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author oniram
    Yes, I know there is a high failure rate with IM because they don't follow thru. That includes me lol. But you must never give up. Learn all you can and keep trying. Sooner or later you will hit a home run.
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6086155].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author troy23
    Wow that's a big revelation.

    People are doomed to failure if they don't act.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6086172].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author SteveJohnson
    Your headline somewhat misstates the premise of the video - 70%+ are not 'doomed to failure'. It's that 70%+ don't do anything with the knowledge they now have access to.

    Not going to go into a whole treatise on this because I'm not an expert - but I can tell you what resonates with me...

    The key for me - and, I'm betting, for most people - comes at about 8:15 into the video from post #11. "We're [achievers in general, ed.] more afraid of what life would be like if we don't follow through."

    Achievers have a gut-level fear of staying stagnant. They also have the ability to self-validate their ideas ("what I'm doing is not a waste of time and it will work") and believe in their ability to accomplish. This is what John Reese talks about at around the 7:30 mark. In his case, it only took a small observation that something he did worked for him to believe and begin to take massive action.

    We cause ourselves to fail because we let fear get the better of us - most of us haven't learned to harness the immense power in our heads to get around this.

    Pretty heady stuff, but the truth when you really start to think about it.
    Signature

    The 2nd Amendment, 1789 - The Original Homeland Security.

    Gun control means never having to say, "I missed you."

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6086937].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author akg12
    That was a perfect post considering the timing and I really appreciate it, thank you.

    Just starting out in IM 2 months ago I find myself down because I can't find steady success. I'm not naive but I am blinded by all the products and people making so much money, so I find myself looking at a bunch of different products.

    Anyway, this post will definitely help stay focused on the one system I have bought, one that has partially worked, except for the money making part! Perhaps, I should go take another look at it.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6087207].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Krisz Rokk
    Noel, great post, thanks!
    I was lucky enough to attend T. Robbins UPW last year in Rimini. He talked a lot about the 4 pieces of the puzzle you mentioned above:
    Potential --> Taking Action --> Results --> Certainty

    What I have encountered so far is most people lack no.2 - taking action! The majority tends to listen to webinars, attend seminars, buy loads of ebooks/ software / you name it.... and after that not much happens. Either they feel overwhelmed or something more 'interesting' shows up.
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6087292].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author successproducts
    I'd like to add the x factor onto the equation. And it's luck. Also destiny. It's depended also on what you term 'success'. I feel that success to me is what you define success and you get it.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6087460].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author jacksonlin
    One big thing I noticed about IM is the fact that you have to be your own boss and your own coach. That's something that ALOT of people cannot do. You got to look at your own results and determine whether or not what you're doing is worth it.
    Signature
    Want a 13 Part FREE Internet Marketing Course - Taught By A PREMIER CLICKBANK SUPPER AFFILIATE? Did I mention taught through VIDEOS?
    Yup, I'm not hyping things up for you. Click here to check it out!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6088258].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author DubDubDubDot
    The 72.3% figure is obviously fabricated by Kern. The actual figure is probably 99%. Just think about all of the newbies that come and go. No way the success rate is 27.7%. He probably needed a figure high enough to be a little sad, but low enough for his starry-eyed newbie following to believe they won't necessarily get caught up in the failure. I'll give Kern this, he knows how to work his target market.

    As for Tony Robbins' steps...
    Potential --> Taking Action --> Results --> Certainty

    Everyone sees the potential. The question is, do they have the necessary business IQ and resources to feel good about taking action? Almost nobody does (even after consuming a $2,000 course), thus the high failure rates.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6089195].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Noel Cunningham
      Originally Posted by DubDubDubDot View Post

      The 72.3% figure is obviously fabricated by Kern. The actual figure is probably 99%. Just think about all of the newbies that come and go. No way the success rate is 27.7%. He probably needed a figure high enough to be a little sad, but low enough for his starry-eyed newbie following to believe they won't necessarily get caught up in the failure. I'll give Kern this, he knows how to work his target market.

      As for Tony Robbins' steps...
      Potential --> Taking Action --> Results --> Certainty

      Everyone sees the potential. The question is, do they have the necessary business IQ and resources to feel good about taking action? Almost nobody does (even after consuming a $2,000 course), thus the high failure rates.
      From what I recall it was Reese who came up with the figure ( not that it matters a great deal ) but I get your point. I think this could translated into many walks of life - for instance the fitness game...

      How many people join the gym with all these big ideas about getting in great shape... They buy all the clothes, they look the part and now all they have to do is get down n dirty! How many of them throw in the towel after a few sessions??

      I'd say lots - there seems to be a weakness in the human psyche that if one doesn't see instant (or near instant) results it must all be a sham and they give up. Like those would-be fitness buffs, they hit the gym for a few weeks and when they don't see a Mr Universe looking back at them in the mirror they just simply give up and hit Burger King on the way home:p

      So just to tie it all together - like the IM enthusiast who spends 2k on a coaching program these people who shell out for a gym membership are all after the same thing - Success & Results - and when these 2 don't come fast enough they regress to the mean and enter the whole pitiful cycles again...

      So I guess if your Mind isn't ready for the task ahead then you've really very little chance of getting to where you wanna go..
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6093706].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author rado0
    The great thing is you can always start a new project and handle it in a different manner based on the experience you got from your previous (probably, failed) project. This way, if you are patient, you will be amongst the small percentage of those who succeeded, I believe
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6090142].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Trevor
    Also watched the video, very inspirational. That's how poor people get poorer and rich get richer.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6090835].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Viramara
    Internet marketing is about following pattern, doing what works and ditch what doesn't work, and most importantly...invest - make money - reinvest. You don't know how much I've "lost" it when I was starting, but no, I refused to think "gee, I'm fail, I'm one of the 95% marketers who fail". Instead I always think :

    "I'm not failing, I just don't find the right track, yet"
    -- that's what saved me from quitting before I finally "cracked" my $ online.

    Telling yourself you're failing is nothing but devastating mindset. Only quitters fail, period.
    Signature
    Those who have time and search for a better time will lose time (Sufi Proverb)
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6091557].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author luane
      I refused to quit. I refused to be in the vast majority who just couldn't cut it. It is not about being smarter, is about focusing and leveraging all of your attention in a proven system promoting something you are passionate about. Don't overthink it. Just do it. Don't listen to the crowd and go the way of "it can't be done" but instead think

      create wealth
      create wealth
      create wealth.

      and you will!

      P.S. Look in the mirror. You will see your own worst enemy or your own best asset. It is how you "see" yourself that matters. See yourself as a winner. See yourself as victor. See yourself as wealthy beyond measure and then spread the wealth to those you can help.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6093683].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Victoralexon
    There is a lot of truth to this. Once you get some results, all you have to do is to do more of the thing that worked and perhaps refine the process a little bit.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6093307].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Karen Blundell
      these stats are all bogus. They are over-used in virtually every copy in the MMO niche and every time I read them, I think to myself, oh no, not again.


      I ignore these stats and I advise other's to do the same. If more people listened to what their own gut instincts tell them to do, we wouldn't need these so-called gurus spouting off these fake percentages telling us how to over-come this problem or that problem and taking our hard-earned money doing so.

      I would just once love to read a thread entitled: "Why 99.9% of us are destined for success !"
      Signature
      ---------------
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6093491].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author myob
        As a former financial modeler in economics, any statistical quote containing a decimal point throws me into uncontrollable fits of giddy laughter.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6093548].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Noel Cunningham
        Originally Posted by Karen Blundell View Post

        these stats are all bogus. They are over-used in virtually every copy in the MMO niche and every time I read them, I think to myself, oh no, not again.


        I ignore these stats and I advise other's to do the same. If more people listened to what their own gut instincts tell them to do, we wouldn't need these so-called gurus spouting off these fake percentages telling us how to over-come this problem or that problem and taking our hard-earned money doing so.

        I would just once love to read a thread entitled: "Why 99.9% of us are destined for success !"
        Sure, we can't validate any stat that we read online but I dunno, going by my experience and especially when I look at all the products I've bought it struck a chord with me...I do think that the failure rate is very high, as it is in the offline business world.

        P.S. I would also love to read that thread if ever anyone was brave enough to write it!
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6093749].message }}

Trending Topics