How to outsource the right way?

18 replies
Hi there,
I have been looking and reading a few ebooks now, and I found the term outsourcing.
I have an idea about what it means, but I would to know if there is any WSO available. I have searched in the forums, but it's quite hard to find one that explains it, or I just don't search good enough.

I would like to know if anyone has any recommendations.

Yours,
Jerremy
#outsource
  • Profile picture of the author JOSourcing
    Banned
    The WSO's that you found on the topic require purchasing. :-) Not to worry, there's plenty of free information about outsourcing on the web (including on my site).
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6105032].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author travisl
    You don't need to buy a WSO to find out more about this. Depending on what you need done, you can go to fiverr.com to get a lot of simple things done. If you need something a little bit harder done, head over to the warriors for hire section.

    You can also search a lot of other internet marketing forums and freelancing websites.

    What exact work do you need outsourced?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6105049].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Kal Sallam
    Look at the "All In One" threads on the top of the main page click on outsourcing
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6105068].message }}
    • Here are two good places to get some free info from people that use outsourcing. I follow both of these blogs regularly and they are good sources of information.

      Search google for these two titles.

      SPI 020 : All About Virtual Assistants and Outsourcing with Chris Ducker from VirtualBusinessLifestyle.com

      Small Business Sunday: Outsourcing Challenges | Morgan Linton
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6105115].message }}
  • List down the skills and subject areas where you need people you'll hire to have substantial expertise in. Formulate a test that'll simulate 4 hours of relevant work. If you have expertise in doing the tasks included in your test, do it yourself, and time yourself. Study your 4-hour work output. This can be your daily 4-hour quota, or twice if you want to hire full timers, or reduce it by 30%, in case you have more than substantial expertise in doing those tasks. Then:

    Post ads in relevant online and offline places. Assign the test. Hire qualified people. You need to implement a daily 4-hour or 8-hour quota. This will ensure you that your staff is working the full 4 or 8 hours. There will be instances where this quota won't be reached by your staff, but these instances should be quite rare. You won't pay for absences and unjustifiable missing daily quotas, of course, but be sensible enough to reach out in situations involving family and health emergencies, among others. Then:

    Offer incentives and rewards and promotions for excellent performance. Continue to assign new tasks to good people, because they'd most likely want to be challenged by tasks unfamiliar to them. If you want to assign ridiculous amounts of ridiculously difficult tasks to ridiculously good people, then you should also be prepared to pay them ridiculous amounts of money...

    These excellent people could most likely leave you and start something on their own, yes, but:

    They will provide you and your business with the highest value, while they're with you...
    Signature

    Watch My Current R&D Project in Action: Wearable 3D Perception Device for the Blind
    • Please Support My Project at PATREON

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6105401].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author AlexDa
    You can try Freelancer.com it is good for new businessmen or new workers also.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6105471].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author slackoff
    Be very specific when you are hiring someone. Tell them exactly how you want something done. If you're outsourcing to build a website for example write a detail spec sheet and maybe even include wire framing examples. Don't assume your outsourcer is smart enough to give you want you had in mind. Also, if a person seems flakey from the beginning don't waste your time and move on. You're mining for diamond, you have to go through a lot of bad ones to find that one good one.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6105631].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Shadowflux
      I think the best way to outsource is only use people with whom you have a good, one on one, working relationship. This will help you avoid any possible miscommunication and ensure that you get exactly what you want from them.

      There are a number of places to outsource work to but if the quality of the work is important then I would suggest trying to establish a bit of a relationship with the people who are going to be doing the work that your business will rely on.

      Just find someone who does what you need and contact them. They will, more than likely, be happy to talk to you about what you want and need.

      This is how I handle almost all of my clients.
      Signature
      Native Advertising Specialist
      Dangerously Effective
      Always Discreet
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6105663].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Jerremy
        Originally Posted by JOSourcing View Post

        The WSO's that you found on the topic require purchasing. :-) Not to worry, there's plenty of free information about outsourcing on the web (including on my site).
        I don't mind to pay for useful information. To be honest, your site is a little bit to vague sometimes for me, but I'll try it!

        Originally Posted by travisl View Post

        You don't need to buy a WSO to find out more about this. Depending on what you need done, you can go to fiverr.com to get a lot of simple things done. If you need something a little bit harder done, head over to the warriors for hire section.

        You can also search a lot of other internet marketing forums and freelancing websites.

        What exact work do you need outsourced?
        I know the networks I can use, I just want to know how to outsource. I am going to start my first internet marketing campaign in 2 months.

        Originally Posted by Kal Sallam View Post

        Look at the "All In One" threads on the top of the main page click on outsourcing
        Thanks, unfortunately I can't click the thanks button/I don't know how to thank(, I wanted to thank everybody for their useful reply).

        Originally Posted by Marx Vergel Melencio View Post

        List down the skills and subject areas where you need people you'll hire to have substantial expertise in. Formulate a test that'll simulate 4 hours of relevant work. If you have expertise in doing the tasks included in your test, do it yourself, and time yourself. Study your 4-hour work output. This can be your daily 4-hour quota, or twice if you want to hire full timers, or reduce it by 30%, in case you have more than substantial expertise in doing those tasks. Then:

        Post ads in relevant online and offline places. Assign the test. Hire qualified people. You need to implement a daily 4-hour or 8-hour quota. This will ensure you that your staff is working the full 4 or 8 hours. There will be instances where this quota won't be reached by your staff, but these instances should be quite rare. You won't pay for absences and unjustifiable missing daily quotas, of course, but be sensible enough to reach out in situations involving family and health emergencies, among others. Then:

        Offer incentives and rewards and promotions for excellent performance. Continue to assign new tasks to good people, because they'd most likely want to be challenged by tasks unfamiliar to them. If you want to assign ridiculous amounts of ridiculously difficult tasks to ridiculously good people, then you should also be prepared to pay them ridiculous amounts of money...

        These excellent people could most likely leave you and start something on their own, yes, but:

        They will provide you and your business with the highest value, while they're with you...
        Thank you! This is useful information, but I have to create a system to have an oversight on everything. My freelancers, employees etc. Is there any software for or something?

        Originally Posted by AlexDa View Post

        You can try Freelancer.com it is good for new businessmen or new workers also.
        I already use Freelancer.com for some coding/designing things.

        Originally Posted by slackoff View Post

        Be very specific when you are hiring someone. Tell them exactly how you want something done. If you're outsourcing to build a website for example write a detail spec sheet and maybe even include wire framing examples. Don't assume your outsourcer is smart enough to give you want you had in mind. Also, if a person seems flakey from the beginning don't waste your time and move on. You're mining for diamond, you have to go through a lot of bad ones to find that one good one.
        Thank you for your information.

        Originally Posted by Shadowflux View Post

        I think the best way to outsource is only use people with whom you have a good, one on one, working relationship. This will help you avoid any possible miscommunication and ensure that you get exactly what you want from them.

        There are a number of places to outsource work to but if the quality of the work is important then I would suggest trying to establish a bit of a relationship with the people who are going to be doing the work that your business will rely on.

        Just find someone who does what you need and contact them. They will, more than likely, be happy to talk to you about what you want and need.

        This is how I handle almost all of my clients.
        Yes I noticed that this is important. I have been working with a few very good employees already, but they are all from Europe, which almost immediately means it's very expensive.
        Signature

        ;)

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6107020].message }}
        • Hi Jerremy,

          Originally Posted by Jerremy View Post

          Thank you! This is useful information, but I have to create a system to have an oversight on everything. My freelancers, employees etc. Is there any software for or something?
          You already have a daily quota. Work out processes and systems from there. For instance:

          1. Require your associates to send notification emails, on or before the start of their work shift, via email. This will let your manager know if they're starting to work on their tasks for the day. Otherwise, your manager needs to contact them, via email, phone, SMS or IM. If they don't respond, then that's a negative point for them, since you should've informed them, before they started, that they should ask someone else, to notify the manager, in case they aren't in the best situation to do so...

          2. Require them to constantly be online on your prefered IM tool, such as Yahoo! Messenger, for instance, during their work shift. Of course, they should change their status, when their taking their 1 to 2-hour breaks per work day...

          3. They should of course be required to submit their completed tasks for the day, along with their properly filled out daily spreadsheet report template. Of course, you need to develop this spreadsheet, to give you the details you need, such as the time frame which they used to work on and complete which set of tasks, what they completed, problems or issues, if any, that they encountered, while doing those tasks, their suggestions to improve the overall quality and speed of their work, etc.

          4. Your staff should be required to send email notifications, several hours before the start of their shifts, in case of emergencies that prevent them to work. They should also send daily submission deadline extension requests, via email, along with their reasons. If there's any reason they can't do this, they should be informed that they should ask somebody else to send these notifications, several hours before the start of their shifts, or before the daily submission deadline...

          5. Your manager should of course be required to collate their daily work and reports, then submit it to you for your review. You should also require your manager to send weekly reports, outlining the overall performance of each of your associates...

          6. You should formulate a system, where excellent performance, based on weekly reports, is rewarded appropriately, poor performance warned appropriately for retraining and reorientation, and constant excellent performance is rewarded with promotions or higher wages or so...

          My relevant expertise: I've been running an ICT outsourcing company for more than 5 years now. And, my wife and I built it from scratch, without any capital investment, other than our own time and skills, from our house. Barely five months after starting our business:

          We grew from four work at home moms and dads, including my wife and I, to 87 employees, 62 homebased subcontractors, 7 subcontractor groups each with their own staff of 12 employees, 2 head offices here in Manila, 9 provincial city offices, and 11 long term contracts with prominent North American and EU-based software development corporations. Oh, and I've been totally blind, for more than eight years now, after I was gunned down, twice, last 2003, because of my dashing good looks and slick style, which means I started and am continuing to run our company, with my eyes closed. Seriously...
          Signature

          Watch My Current R&D Project in Action: Wearable 3D Perception Device for the Blind
          • Please Support My Project at PATREON

          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6107349].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author myeanne
    Outsourcing is a business that trust is the first requirement. Business won't grow if you haven't trusted the company that you're working with. This business has it pros and cons, you just need to find the right company, ask for samples and client references so you can decide. There are lots of outsourcing providers who pretend to be the best, that's why you need to be careful and look for the reputable ones.

    I suggest to hire a Staff leasing company instead of a freelancer. because leased staff are permanent workers of a company and are easy to reach in case you need them. Freelancers do not have employers so they do as they please and sometimes cannot be contacted for various reasons.
    Signature
    Staff Leasing
    We Lease Offshore Employees

    Hire inexpensive labor from the Philippines!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6106996].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author laurencewins
    If you really want a WSO, I have one on outsourcing and freelancing that covers a lot of great info and it would help you a lot.
    Signature

    Cheers, Laurence. Writer/Editor/Proofreader.
    Visit my site for more info

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6107191].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Jerremy
      Originally Posted by laurencewins View Post

      If you really want a WSO, I have one on outsourcing and freelancing that covers a lot of great info and it would help you a lot.
      To be honest, I have bought a course for €150,- already, I just need the information translated to the practice. Some examples, etc.
      It would be great if you have a WSO like that.
      Signature

      ;)

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6107324].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author snadeemshaikh
    If you need to focus more on your campaign then Hire a manager... OR

    Create a website where all your outsource employees can login & update the amount of jobs they have completed, payment details, new task for them etc.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6107407].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Jerremy
    @Marx Vergel Melencio, thank you very much!
    @snadeemshaikh, I like the idea about an own site, time to hire a web developer soon!
    Signature

    ;)

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6119279].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Chris Thompson
    Start with all of the quality free information you can get your hands on. I wrote a great summary on outsourcing. I just give it away. There are others who do the same. You can also invest in learning the ropes by outsourcing and making mistakes. That's paid learning Everyone does it. Great way to learn.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6119643].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author jasono
    I agree, there are free sources you can find on the web, utilize them. I've got a free ebook which you can download on my site for more info about outsourcing. If you're really serious with it, then be really really serious with it.
    Signature

    Learn how to make more money using outsourcing and virtual assistants while freeing up your valuable time. Visit http://outsourcingautopilot.com

    Facebook - Twitter

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6119686].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Benjamin Ehinger
    You really don't need a guide to outsourcing. Once you know all the tasks involved in building your website from the ground up, all outsourcing involves is paying someone to perform some of these tasks.

    Make sure you test, test, and test some more to find good services and freelancers for your tasks.

    Benjamin
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6120124].message }}

Trending Topics