Advice Needed: Picking Domain Names

15 replies
I've found a good niche for a new site (health/food), but I'm apprehensive about which domain type I should purchase. I have the option to buy the exact keyword I would be ranking for as a domain, however it is considered a premium domain and has a price of around $1300. I've also found a more brandable domain name which also has it's benefits. The keyword gets tons of searches and would be fairly easy to monetize. What domain do you think I should pick and why?
#advice #domain #names #needed #picking
  • Profile picture of the author TishaZaphirise
    I suggest finding the exact match domain for your main keyword. Because you can rank that domain easily to the top.

    Example: if you target "the best diet in florida"
    i suggest getting
    thebestdietflorida.com
    thebestdietflorida.net
    thebestdietflorida.org

    Only that 3 ekstension is good. Other ekstension is harder to rank on google
    Signature
    .
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6125034].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author MarketingMinded
      Originally Posted by TishaZaphirise View Post

      I suggest finding the exact match domain for your main keyword. Because you can rank that domain easily to the top.

      Example: if you target "the best diet in florida"
      i suggest getting
      thebestdietflorida.com
      thebestdietflorida.net
      thebestdietflorida.org

      Only that 3 ekstension is good. Other ekstension is harder to rank on google
      So you would go with the premium domain?
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6125074].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author eva dora
    I have seen .US extensions rank well
    Signature

    Live healthy and ethical! Shop for vegan products here: http://www.eco3p.com

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6125113].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Warrior X
    If you only want it for the SEO value, then probably no. You can stick a word on the end and get the same SEO value for $7.95

    premiumname.com
    premiumnamereview.com .... the SEO value is the same.

    --Jeremy
    Signature
    #1 In WHITEBOARD VIDEOS - Great Way To Tell Your Story!
    Available Here
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6125118].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author MarketingMinded
      Originally Posted by TrustedCopy View Post

      If you only want it for the SEO value, then probably no. You can stick a word on the end and get the same SEO value for $7.95

      premiumname.com
      premiumnamereview.com .... the SEO value is the same.

      --Jeremy
      Ok, its rather wordy (3 words) already which is why I was leaning towards a brandable name. However, I tend to be biased in favor of brandable names so I asked because I didn't was my bias to affect earnings if picking the premium domain could get more search traffic.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6125179].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author hashbury
      Originally Posted by TishaZaphirise View Post

      I suggest finding the exact match domain for your main keyword. Because you can rank that domain easily to the top.

      Example: if you target "the best diet in florida"
      i suggest getting
      thebestdietflorida.com
      thebestdietflorida.net
      thebestdietflorida.org

      Only that 3 ekstension is good. Other ekstension is harder to rank on google
      I would not listen to this advise, while I know an EMD can help with ranking the amount that it can help is just a fraction of the full equation.

      Not to mention you did not say anything about the competition of this keyword. The sites you are going to be competing against will be the ultimate factor in getting a good spot in the serps.


      Originally Posted by TrustedCopy View Post

      If you only want it for the SEO value, then probably no. You can stick a word on the end and get the same SEO value for $7.95

      premiumname.com
      premiumnamereview.com .... the SEO value is the same.

      --Jeremy
      Listen to this guy. I would prefer an EMD, but paying 1300$ for something when you could pay 8$ for a domain you could rank just as easily for, is working backwards IMO.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6125187].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author MarketingMinded
        Originally Posted by hashbury View Post

        I would not listen to this advise, while I know an EMD can help with ranking the amount that it can help is just a fraction of the full equation.

        Not to mention you did not say anything about the competition of this keyword. The sites you are going to be competing against will be the ultimate factor in getting a good spot in the serps.




        Listen to this guy. I would prefer an EMD, but paying 1300$ for something when you could pay 8$ for a domain you could rank just as easily for, is working backwards IMO.
        The keyword competition is medium at the very best. The research usually shows it to be on the low end.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6125242].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author hashbury
          Originally Posted by MarketingMinded View Post

          The keyword competition is medium at the very best. The research usually shows it to be on the low end.
          Are you using software to check the competition? If you are do a manual review of the top 3 or 4 ranking sites. I dont know your skill level but just want to throw this in there in case you are not checking the top sites manually.

          If there are any big authority sites ranking in the top few spots, you must be prepared to do the work to beat them out.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6125548].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author MarketingMinded
            Originally Posted by hashbury View Post

            Are you using software to check the competition? If you are do a manual review of the top 3 or 4 ranking sites. I dont know your skill level but just want to throw this in there in case you are not checking the top sites manually.

            If there are any big authority sites ranking in the top few spots, you must be prepared to do the work to beat them out.
            I used Google Keyword Tool and SEO Book.
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6125581].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Warrior X
        Originally Posted by hashbury View Post

        Listen to this guy.
        Thanks hashbury, this guy appreciates it.
        Signature
        #1 In WHITEBOARD VIDEOS - Great Way To Tell Your Story!
        Available Here
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6125272].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Alexa Smith
        Banned
        Originally Posted by TishaZaphirise View Post

        Only that 3 ekstension is good. Other ekstension is harder to rank on google
        This is completely wrong.

        The enormous lengths Google, and Matt Cutts, go to, to explain to people in writing, on blogs, on video and at conferences, that this isn't true ... and there are still people who not only believe it but state it as if it were factual and offer it as advice to others!

        Originally Posted by hashbury View Post

        I would not listen to this advise
        That's for sure.

        All the international TLD's (and three previously geotargeted ones: .tv, .co and .me) are exactly the same for ranking purposes. And that is factual.

        .INFO .NET & .COM
        .info extension reputation..
        How to choose domain extension
        .info domain for starting my career in clickbank affiliate ?
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6125370].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author TishaZaphirise
    It's definitely worth it to get the exact match domain. Especially if you want to rank it well on google and get traffic from it for that term. Except you want to use other traffic source beside search engine to drive the traffics.
    Signature
    .
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6125132].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author TishaZaphirise
    Yes, it's depend on the keyword competition and the monthly searches as well. If the monthly searches for that term is high. It's worth it. Otherwise you can use one alphabet more for cheaper solution.

    Example,
    thebestdietfloridax.com
    thebestdietfloridax.net
    thebestdietfloridax.org

    It's still good to rank for the term "the best diet florida" and normally cost only $8
    Signature
    .
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6125286].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Martinsee
    If you want to increase your keywords, no need to choose domain with keywords.
    Just register a nice short domain which you like.
    And create a sub-domain for that domain with keywords :
    As : YourKeywords.yourdomain.com
    See ? That's best for seo
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6125386].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author MarketingMinded
      Originally Posted by Martinsee View Post

      If you want to increase your keywords, no need to choose domain with keywords.
      Just register a nice short domain which you like.
      And create a sub-domain for that domain with keywords :
      As : YourKeywords.yourdomain.com
      See ? That's best for seo
      Hmmm.... interesting. Thanks for the tip!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6125591].message }}

Trending Topics