How to start a membership site?

22 replies
Does anyone have any experience starting a membership site from scratch?
#membership #site #start
  • {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6140547].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author AustinDigital
      Yes, make sure you pre-fill it with tons of content though. That's going to be most important, give out a couple free subscriptions to people as well so that your forum (if you have one) looks busy and populated.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6140573].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author julesw
    Not sure about the tons of content .. people are overloaded plus you want to make sure it sells before you spend time making content..

    more like put in enough for the month and tell people the plans for content coming in the forthcoming months plus get their feedback on it too before you create.
    Signature
    WIN my Lanparte Smartphone or GoPro Gimbal! Get Ready Get Steady! Watch my Video Here:
    VideoHero.com/win
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6140675].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author AustinDigital
      Originally Posted by julesw View Post

      Not sure about the tons of content .. people are overloaded plus you want to make sure it sells before you spend time making content..

      more like put in enough for the month and tell people the plans for content coming in the forthcoming months plus get their feedback on it too before you create.
      Well tons of content if you're breaking it into modules and keeping it organized as great. When you supply limited content it's a turn off to buyers, because typically a buyer identifies their spend with the amount of material (initially they can't judge based on quality).

      One way to get away with little content initially though is to break down into modules, and only allow unlocking of certain modules after certain periods. This will give you a cushion initially to focus on building your brand and subscribers, then going back and filling in content when you see people successfully following the proposed track.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6140699].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author julesw
        yep thats what I was indicating ..




        Originally Posted by miscbrah View Post

        Well tons of content if you're breaking it into modules and keeping it organized as great. When you supply limited content it's a turn off to buyers, because typically a buyer identifies their spend with the amount of material (initially they can't judge based on quality).

        One way to get away with little content initially though is to break down into modules, and only allow unlocking of certain modules after certain periods. This will give you a cushion initially to focus on building your brand and subscribers, then going back and filling in content when you see people successfully following the proposed track.
        Signature
        WIN my Lanparte Smartphone or GoPro Gimbal! Get Ready Get Steady! Watch my Video Here:
        VideoHero.com/win
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6141508].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Warrior Roy
    Are there any membership site forums?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6141054].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Derek_Thomas
      Here's a pretty helpful free resource to get you started:

      How to Build a Membership Site in 48 Hours

      Although I would add Digital Access Pass to the list of Wishlist and Amember. I tell you that for future reference though. You don't need to go out any buy any of these right away. First, you need to do your planning, and I hope the link above helps.

      Derek
      Signature
      Thousands of happy Warriors agree...
      This service is a MUST - so worth it - Barry C.
      Derek is a keyword genius - Alan W.
      The results are incredible - page one already! - Navia B.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6141067].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Manjeet Banger
      basic Tools needed: Dap (digital access pass), wishlist member, membership plugins to handle logins, drip feeds, etc

      payment processor: clickbank, paypal recurring payment, etc

      Content : Plan ahead, decide topics on training, webinars, setup interviews with other experts in your niche, in house forum, facebook group, etc

      Email your clients and keep communication to show them whats coming in the following weeks or month to keep drop out low and have a support desk like kayako to handle customer queries and test, test, test
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6141151].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author knish
    I myself would need to find an online software that is already formatted and all I have to do is fill in the information and press the "publish" button.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6141307].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author momtraders
    yep, I originally started with a membership site LONG time ago. I have never looked back. They are hugely profitable, they are fun and once you get everything running they are autopilot, other than a few hours of updates per month. How easy! I use amember for my membership area. Create a free squeeze page, to get subscribers and then email everyone once the site has gone live. I make sure I have a community established so members can chat etc. and always offer great support. Some niches work better thn others.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6141881].message }}
    • Originally Posted by momtraders View Post

      yep, I originally started with a membership site LONG time ago. I have never looked back. They are hugely profitable, they are fun and once you get everything running they are autopilot, other than a few hours of updates per month. How easy! I use amember for my membership area. Create a free squeeze page, to get subscribers and then email everyone once the site has gone live. I make sure I have a community established so members can chat etc. and always offer great support. Some niches work better thn others.
      That's actually not a bad idea. Most people won't stick around unless a website is active. I'll wait until I have a few hundred subscribers and then I'll think about transforming my wholesale site into a membership site.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6142253].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author momtraders
    also it took me 6 monhs to build my most profitable membership site. So dont buy into the membership sites in 48 hours crap. Seriously, you need to have great content and or products to offer your members. You have to keep them uber happy, or they just leave.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6141894].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Derek_Thomas
      Originally Posted by momtraders View Post

      also it took me 6 monhs to build my most profitable membership site. So dont buy into the membership sites in 48 hours crap. Seriously, you need to have great content and or products to offer your members. You have to keep them uber happy, or they just leave.
      While in principle I agree, IF you're referring to this article (How to Build a Membership Site in 48 Hours) I'd at least read it first.

      Derek
      Signature
      Thousands of happy Warriors agree...
      This service is a MUST - so worth it - Barry C.
      Derek is a keyword genius - Alan W.
      The results are incredible - page one already! - Navia B.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6142181].message }}
      • Hmmm.......Maybe I should turn my website into a membership site. Right now it's just a page with information. All i have to do is add a forum and more content and it's a membership site. Thanks for the idea!
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6142235].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author momtraders
    Derek, I was not talking about that article, I am saying it takes time and hardwork. is all. sorry if my post came off as rude.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6142239].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author momtraders
    wholesaler sites would work perfect for a membership site. I would even go as far as getting someone to build turnkey ecommerce dropship sites. You can offer them to turnkey site dealers, on ebay, flippa etc and then have a small members only fee to continue to the service. The possibilities are endless. I played with a wholesale site long time ago. your big market is ecommerce owners. make it an instant biz in a box and you are making bank. goodluck

    Go a step farther and train your members on what they can accomplish with wholesale. That is the meat of any membership site.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6142282].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author MusicMinCoach
    Hi guys, one thing I've been a little confused about is Optimize Press. It says it has a membership site built in, but I keep seeing people say you need both Optimize Press AND a membership site plugin. Is the one that's built in just not very functional or something?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6143239].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author ravijayagopal
      @MusicMinCoach: That's correct. The built-in one in OptimizePress (OP) is not very functional. And I don't think they even intended it to replace a membership plugin.

      OP is terrific as a theme. And it integrates like a dream with DAP.

      Here's our dream-team for membership sites:
      * WordPress (of course!)
      * OptimizePress (theme)
      * DigitalAccessPass - DAP (membership plugin for WordPress)
      * Amazon S3 (to store your media)
      * S3 plugin like EasyVideoPlayer (or S3MediaVault.com)
      * Paypal + Merchant Account (to give your buyers both options of Paypal + credit card)

      Hope this helps.

      - Ravi Jayagopal
      (Full Disclosure: I'm the founder/co-developer of DAP & S3MediaVault)


      Originally Posted by MusicMinCoach View Post

      Hi guys, one thing I've been a little confused about is Optimize Press. It says it has a membership site built in, but I keep seeing people say you need both Optimize Press AND a membership site plugin. Is the one that's built in just not very functional or something?
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6150904].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author julesw
    Op is just for the content management, you need to add a membeship plugin
    Signature
    WIN my Lanparte Smartphone or GoPro Gimbal! Get Ready Get Steady! Watch my Video Here:
    VideoHero.com/win
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6144286].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author TamilYoung
    I would suggest you checking Peter Garety's Membership Mechanics WSO (if it is still around). That had been a great course I know on Membership sites. Wishing you success.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6144365].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author SamKalai
    first step: go and buy optimise press
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6144380].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Peter Hansen
      My first IM came from a membership site.

      I worked on it for 3 months before launching it to a targeted list.

      In the beginning it is not that easy but it is quite fun when you first get it up running.

      Many of our members really enjoy coming in every day.

      But first you want to ask you self why do you want to start a Membership site?

      It is not always the best way to start monetizing. Membership sites driven the right way often has the advantages you can have the users create content.

      Let me know if I can help you Warrior to Warrior.

      Good luck
      Peter
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6144422].message }}

Trending Topics