Another Article Syndication Question

8 replies
I know, I know, there are a ton of these going around now. I will admit, article syndication seems to be a valuable method of generating traffic without worrying about google etc. This is my question, I have read through pretty much all of the posts on this topic, I have read what Alexa has to say, Tifflee's free report and a lot of the threads. Say you do your homework and get an article out to a few websites and traffic comes in. Are you directing them to a squeeze page or more of a blog set up with an opt-in form on the blog? Or, if your content is good enough in the syndicated articles should it not matter at all? It seems like if the value is good enough you would just have to mention something along the lines of "join my list for more articles...." and not make it salesy at all. Basically, are you letting the quality of your writing do the selling for you?
#article #question #syndication
  • Profile picture of the author Joseph Robinson
    Banned
    Originally Posted by ftp View Post

    thanx
    i hope a very nice time for every boday
    *Sigh*

    A simple squeeze page is an option; but in my opinion not the best one. Like you said, your articles should be "pre-selling" your worth to potential subscribers. Do you really only want one article doing the pre-sell, and then telling readers "this is your one chance to opt-in. Take it or leave it."

    Not the best practice in my opinion.

    The better choice is to send them to your website that is filled with all of your content. Give your readers the chance to see what else you have to offer, and have the opt in at a prominent place on every page. If you put more fishing lines in the water you are bound to catch more fish, right?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6144947].message }}
    • Originally Posted by Joe Robinson View Post

      *Sigh*

      A simple squeeze page is an option; but in my opinion not the best one. Like you said, your articles should be "pre-selling" your worth to potential subscribers. Do you really only want one article doing the pre-sell, and then telling readers "this is your one chance to opt-in. Take it or leave it."

      Not the best practice in my opinion.

      The better choice is to send them to your website that is filled with all of your content. Give your readers the chance to see what else you have to offer, and have the opt in at a prominent place on every page. If you put more fishing lines in the water you are bound to catch more fish, right?
      Wow thanks! You helped me avoid another mistake there!
      Good thing I always have a link to my blog in all the content I write!
      Though I do have a squeeze page here and there too.
      Signature

      Blogging With Attitude - Michaelangelo Flores Official Blog

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6144958].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author eguinan
    I agree. I hate articles that lead me to an over excited squeeze page. They insult my intelligence and devalue the product.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6145037].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author JohnMcCabe
      Originally Posted by eguinan View Post

      I agree. I hate articles that lead me to an over excited squeeze page. They insult my intelligence and devalue the product.
      Once again, the flaw isn't in the tactic. It's in the execution.

      Bad squeeze pages garner negative reactions. The kind of squeeze one would use with syndicated articles is not the same as that used with, say, a PPC campaign for a hard-sell product pitch.

      By the same token, many syndicators make the mistake of linking an article to a copy of the same article on their website and relying on an opt-in form on the sidebar.

      More and more sites (ones with large audiences) seem to be leaning more toward a modified squeeze page. The home page of the blog leads with what would be a more traditional squeeze page if it were on a page by itself. The blog's header, menu, sidebars, etc. are all present. Below the opt-in portion are links to added articles, some by chronology, some by relation to the referring article.

      This all works off the principle of providing a positive (pre-selling) experience and following it with ways the reader can extend that experience - clicking a resource box link, opting in to a list, reading additional articles, even making a purchase.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6145094].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author AnniePot
        Following on with the excellent advice JohnMcCabe has just provided, I also recommend you purchase Paul Myers new ebook: 'The Content Cash System' (not an affiliate link). It's full of great advice.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6145311].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author JohnMcCabe
          Originally Posted by AnniePot View Post

          Following on with the excellent advice JohnMcCabe has just provided, I also recommend you purchase Paul Myers new ebook: 'The Content Cash System' (not an affiliate link). It's full of great advice.
          I second that recommendation...
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6145481].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Dann Vicker
    Your best bet would be to send them to your blog and have a delayed pop-up button prompt them for an opt-in. This should make for a better visitor experience than plain squeeze pages.
    Signature

    Looking for high quality solo ad traffic? 200-2000 clicks available/day. Testimonials here. PM me

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6145583].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author travlinguy
    Point people to your main site and have an optin box on the home page. If you've done everything else right people will be happy to get your messages.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6146041].message }}

Trending Topics