Those who can - DO, Those who can't - TEACH

by TolyZ
69 replies
Just to hear your opinion on this saying. I think this applies to IM very well. As you might notice, people that actually offer a service or run an eCommerce sites don't have time to write WSO's etc. because they busy running and improving their business.
Your opinions?
#teach
  • Profile picture of the author Michael Oksa
    Just because it CAN apply doesn't mean that it DOES apply. Sure, there may be some cases of this, but you are overlooking the value of time.

    Modern technology makes it very easy to record what you're doing when you're doing it, and BAM! Instant WSO. Well, there's a bit more to it than that, but the point is that it is not an either/or proposition.

    To me it seems as though you don't really understand the purpose of WSOs but that's okay because a lot of people don't.

    Besides, what's the difference between offering, say backlinks, on a website or a WSO? They both are a form of marketing, but the WSO can drive your target audience to your service.

    All the best,
    Michael
    Signature

    "Ich bin en fuego!"
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6184287].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Andy Fletcher
    Those who can do, those who can't whinge about those that do.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6184290].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author tpw
    Those who do both well, do both.
    Signature
    Bill Platt, Oklahoma USA, PlattPublishing.com
    Publish Coloring Books for Profit (WSOTD 7-30-2015)
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6184292].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Bill Farnham
      That saying is right up there with, "The customer is always right."

      It rolls off the tongue easily enough to even fool the person saying it.

      But that may be putting the cart before the horse...

      ~Bill
      Signature
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6184340].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Brandon Anthony
      Originally Posted by tpw View Post

      Those who do both well, do both.
      Absolutely brilliant...

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6188059].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Joseph Robinson
    Banned
    Originally Posted by TolyZ View Post

    Just to hear your opinion on this saying.
    Around here? I only see it thrown around by people who want to hate or bash on someone/something else. I tend to roll my eyes when I see it.

    Originally Posted by TolyZ View Post

    I think this applies to IM very well.
    I don't. Then again, we might just be following very different people.

    Originally Posted by TolyZ View Post

    As you might notice, people that actually offer a service or run an eCommerce sites don't have time to write WSO's etc. because they busy running and improving their business.
    Your opinions?
    Not true at all, for the reasons that Michael mentioned (amongst many others). Hell, look at the people here who contribute regularly and are making money. Are they not doing and teaching?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6184315].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ExRat
    Hi TolyZ,

    Originally Posted by TolyZ View Post

    As you might notice, people that actually offer a service or run an eCommerce sites don't have time to write WSO's etc. because they busy running and improving their business.
    Your opinions?
    Even if that were the case, it doesn't mean that those who teach, can't.

    Your opinions?
    There may be cases where the cap fits. But there are clearly cases where it doesn't at all.

    There are many who 'do' who would prefer to teach or do both, but they're not capable. Teachers in schools may not always earn the highest income, but there are many who teach elsewhere who earn plenty - such as some entrepreneurs online.

    This thread and others like it, tend to invoke this and this.
    Signature


    Roger Davis

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6184346].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Karen Blundell
      I know many people who do both quite well...

      I don't think it applies in IM at all.

      blanket statements are just that...:rolleyes:
      Signature
      ---------------
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6184404].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author TolyZ
    I just got that impression after reading a few threads.
    Example (2threads from the same person):
    1st Thread - "Let me show you how to make $1000 per day" (in the WSO section)
    2nd Thread - How can I make $10 / day? (in the main section).

    It just looks funny to me.

    And please don't compare WSO's to marketing services. It's 2 different things. When you buy a service YOU don't have to do any work, and in most cases if you choose reputable company you'll get your money worth, where with WSO's well you know ...

    I can't charge you for my services and then tell you "Oh Sorry, it's your fault not mine".
    Signature
    Professional SEO Company marketing1on1.com that gets results.
    BuyBacklinksCheap.com
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6184412].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Karen Blundell
      Originally Posted by TolyZ View Post

      I just got that impression after reading a few threads.
      Example (2threads from the same person):
      1st Thread - "Let me show you how to make $1000 per day" (in the WSO section)
      2nd Thread - How can I make $10 / day? (in the main section).

      It just looks funny to me.

      And please don't compare WSO's to marketing services. It's 2 different things. When you buy a service YOU don't have to do any work, and in most cases if you choose reputable company you'll get your money worth, where with WSO's well you know ...
      again, blanket statements.

      Don't base your observations on a few threads or a few WSO's.
      I've bought many good WSO's and I've bought a couple of crappy ones. But good always wins...

      in other words, there's a lot more quality in here than there is garbage...you're just focusing on the wrong things.

      Please leave your negativity at the gate before you come in here, spreading it.

      thanks...
      Signature
      ---------------
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6184429].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Michael Oksa
      Originally Posted by TolyZ View Post

      And please don't compare WSO's to marketing services.
      Why not? It's a valid comparison.

      It's 2 different things.
      Not if you do it right. WSOs can be used as a form of marketing, and that includes marketing services. If you don't want to use the WSO section for that purpose, that's cool with me. BUT, you also need to be cool with people who DO choose to use it that way.

      When you buy a service YOU don't have to do any work,
      Not ALWAYS true, but I get your point. Someone can offer the exact same services as a WSO and the buyer doesn't have to do more work just because they bought it through a WSO.

      and in most cases if you choose reputable company you'll get your money worth,
      AHA! And there, my friend, is one of the potential benefits of purchasing from the WSO section. Real-time feedback, good or bad, from customers. Yes, it can still be a crapshoot for how honest the reviews are, and which "negative" reviews will stay, but it can still be better than buying from a private site. Why? Because THAT seller has COMPLETE control over what their potential customers see. A WSO seller does not (they have some, but nowhere near complete).

      where with WSO's well you know ...
      No, we don't know, but we do know what you're implying. Seriously, it's okay. You don't "get" the WSO section, which puts you in the majority. However, your understanding of it is what makes it SEEM the way it seems to you. Whether that's total reality or not is debatable.

      I can't charge you for my services and then tell you "Oh Sorry, it's your fault not mine".
      How do we know that? Because you said so? Sounds to me, and I could be wrong, that you had a bad experience with a WSO and now you want to say all WSOs are bad.

      Anyway, I hope you'll eventually realize the potential of the WSO section for your business, that way you won't have to make posts just to get your well you know...

      All the best,
      Michael
      Signature

      "Ich bin en fuego!"
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6184459].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author tpw
      Originally Posted by TolyZ View Post

      And please don't compare WSO's to marketing services. It's 2 different things. When you buy a service YOU don't have to do any work, and in most cases if you choose reputable company you'll get your money worth, where with WSO's well you know ...

      We know what?

      Just because you assume something to be true, does not make it true...

      Of course, I suspect I know where you were trying to go with that statement, and no... I don't know that "WSO's are mostly bad products from people who TEACH because they cannot DO..."

      That is your assumption, and in my experience, your assumption is wrong...
      Signature
      Bill Platt, Oklahoma USA, PlattPublishing.com
      Publish Coloring Books for Profit (WSOTD 7-30-2015)
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6184465].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author BIG Mike
    Banned
    Don't let negative, toxic people rent space in your head...evict them, raise the rent and enjoy life
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6184493].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author tpw
      Originally Posted by BIG Mike View Post

      Don't let negative, toxic people rent space in your head...evict them, raise the rent and enjoy life

      Maybe the forum ought to add a toxicity sub-forum and encourage all of those people with toxic thinking and poison pens to submit there instead. :p
      Signature
      Bill Platt, Oklahoma USA, PlattPublishing.com
      Publish Coloring Books for Profit (WSOTD 7-30-2015)
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6184506].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Cali16
      Originally Posted by BIG Mike View Post

      Don't let negative, toxic people rent space in your head...evict them, raise the rent and enjoy life
      Excellent saying, BIG Mike! I'm definitely going to remember this one!

      As for the OP's title statement - personally, I don't care for sweeping generalizations - or for those who use them.

      When I was in grad school, ALL of my clinical professors had private practices as well. Most were teaching part-time - in their specific area of expertise. What I learned from them was invaluable, because they were teaching from experience, not just book knowledge.
      Signature
      If you don't face your fears, the only thing you'll ever see is what's in your comfort zone. ~Anne McClain, astronaut
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6186507].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author YasirYar
    I have never agreed with this saying, neither in the non-IM world, nor in the IM world itself.

    Sure, there are always those people who have been unsuccessful in something, yet they go out and try teaching it to others. But in general, I have found that people who teach internet marketing tips are those who have been successful themselves, and either want to give back to the community, or are charging a fair amount of money for their tricks.

    The fact is that if these people were in fact people who can't, people would not constantly go back to them for tips on how to do things. You can almost always tell the difference between a genuine person and a fraud, if not on the first encounter, then definitely eventually.

    Just my two cents!
    Signature

    >>>Get your websites ACTUALLY ranked by checking these out: Quantum SEO Labs, Home Page Link Building & SERP Ability. Want to get rid of negative listings? Check out Reputation Enhancer.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6184497].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Brad Gosse
    If doctors didn't teach doctors to become doctors we wouldn't have any doctors.

    Does that mean that every doctor who teaches another is inept and teaching crappy techniques?
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6184509].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author madison_avenue
      Many of the people who are successful in marketing, don't actually know why they are successful, it's a rare quality not readily quantifiable. Actually what they put into their WSO's, even with the best of intentions, is not the reason why they are successful. And so it follows that not everyone buying that information will be successful... but some of them will be.

      "Secrets" and "plans" such as these are two a penny, but how do some people implement while others cannot?
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6184540].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Dan Curtis
        Most sayings that persist have some truth in them; this one is no different. Some people teach that aren't able to do it themselves.

        But the best teachers in any field are skilled professionals that use their own training and experience to help others. Where would we be without them?

        I teach, and it is a joy to teach, and it is a high art. It takes keen perception to be able to sense what someone understands and what they don't and what will bring them to a higher understanding.

        By the way, the saying as you have it is incomplete. Here is the correct version:

        Those that can, do.

        Those that can't, teach.

        Those that can't teach, teach P.E.
        Signature

        The world is quite ruthless in selecting between the dream and the reality, even where we will not. Between the wish and the thing the world lies waiting. -- Cormac McCarthy

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6184724].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author MissTerraK
          Originally Posted by Dan Curtis View Post



          Those that can't teach, teach P.E.
          Or become principals.

          Terra
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6184764].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author PPC-Coach
            Originally Posted by tpw View Post

            Those who do both well, do both.
            Originally Posted by Joe Robinson View Post

            Around here? I only see it thrown around by people who want to hate or bash on someone/something else. I tend to roll my eyes when I see it.
            Originally Posted by Bill Farnham View Post

            That saying is right up there with, "The customer is always right."

            It rolls off the tongue easily enough to even fool the person saying it.

            But that may be putting the cart before the horse...

            ~Bill
            Originally Posted by Brad Gosse View Post

            If doctors didn't teach doctors to become doctors we wouldn't have any doctors.

            Does that mean that every doctor who teaches another is inept and teaching crappy techniques?
            Everyone above put it very well. I have heard this baloney statement more then once. People just cannot grasp how someone in the IM world who CAN make a fortune on their own would ever want to help others do the same. They don't get it because they're not at that stage in their career yet. They're in "Safety" mode. They always say, "if he can do this so well, why would he show others how?" That's because they're not at the same stage of maslows hierarchy of needs.

            See this: Maslow's hierarchy of needs - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

            (I know, I know, that's wikipedia but it's a good page).

            You reach a stage where you need new challenges, new rewards and teaching others to do what you have is a HUGE challenge with a huge reward. You realize that there's way more then enough money for everyone to have a good chunk. So why not help your brother or sister learn to grab their share of the pie?

            If you've never taught someone how to do something, you will not understand this point. It's so rewarding to see someone "get it" and succeed with your help. Now if you in turn get paid to help others, how perfect is that?

            I think I'm qualified in this area because I do get paid to help others and I LOVE my job. Sure I do my own things and things that nobody in the IM world will ever even know about, but why not help someone if you can and why not get paid for it as well as getting the ultimate reward when that person gets it too and succeeds.

            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6184835].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author jessicalynn
              I agree with the others: this is definitely a blanket statement that isn't always true. If you only want to purchase products from people who actually run that sort of business, that's your prerogative....so do your research!
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6184883].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author LegionNate
    I actually used to think that way for sure, and I still think there is SOME truth to it, but just not all the time. I use myself as an example. Now that I have two dropshipping sites that do large six amounts in gross sales, and do well with lead generation, I finally feel like I "have a right" so to speak, to get involved in teaching people how to make money online, seeing as I do it myself.

    And so I'm just about to get started in the "IM niche", but the fact that I will begin teaching doesn't negate the fact that I am also doing.
    Signature

    Do you have Buyer IM leads? We have sales floors with Great DPL. PM me.


    The Warrior Forum

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6184535].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author BIG Mike
    Banned
    Those who can - DO, Those who can't - TEACH
    I actually get a laugh out of this whenever it comes up. I have to assume that the people who make such statements have absolutely no idea just how lucrative teaching is...especially in the Academic world.

    In Academics for example, those who "TEACH" also get research facilities, fees for speaking, publishing, grants, awards, etc., and that's in addition to base salaries, which are quite impressive in most areas in the US.

    You can't make generalized statements like that - it boils down to individuals...not the industry.

    I do know several people who "TEACH" and live hand to mouth because they could never make it work for themselves. They claim to have impressive earnings, which is what I have a problem with, because they're misrepresenting themselves to others.

    On the other hand, I know many more people who teach to some degree who are making it and using what they teach others to profit for themselves.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6184642].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ratracegrad
    People that are successful have the freedom to do what they want in life which is why they teach others. If a person is too busy running their business then they are not successful yet - they just have a time demanding job.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6184963].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author JohnMcCabe
      In many occupations, this is often true. It is also not perceived as a negative. You simply have to adjust your definitions.

      As I read the OP, he is assuming that if someone can't do something, it's from incompetence, lack of talent or ability, or some mixture of those. "Tain't necessarily so."

      Let's start with an easy one - sports. With few exceptions, the best coaches (aka 'teachers') are former players who, through age or injury, are no longer able to perform at a level required for success at the top of their chosen sport. So they go into coaching, passing along what they know to up and coming players.

      The same thinking can be applied to IM. While the up and comers may think that going pedal to the metal is something they'll never get tired of, many successful marketers burn out on the day to day stuff but aren't quite ready to hang up their spikes. So they teach what they know.

      Don't assume that because a few fakes and flakes run WSOs about stuff they know nothing about that you can apply that universally.

      Anyway, the saying isn't complete. My late grandfather, who spent most of his adult life as a professional chef in a high end restaurant, put it this way:

      "Those who can, do. Those who can't, teach. Those who can't do either become critics and spend their days whining about it."
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6185531].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Josh Anderson
    Not so much. Sure, those of us who do are pretty busy... and yeah, we don't put out WSO offers every week... or even hardly once a year. Its not our bread and butter.

    However, many of us who DO enjoy helping people in real life every day. Some of us want to reach more and help more so we decide to publish more teaching.

    On the flip side... info publishing is an attractive business and there are many who BARELY DO and then sell the heck out of teaching it.

    Its pretty easy to recognize who walks the walk. Besides... one can read or watch every course in the world with little impact... its the doing that really does the teaching.
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6185609].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author MikeTucker
    Personally, I favor the other version:


    "The A students become teachers,
    and the B students end up working
    for the C students."
    Signature

    The bartender says: "We don't serve faster-than-light particles here."

    ...A tachyon enters a bar.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6185641].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author rickhodge
    I have to second Bill Platt's view. Anyone can be negative and blame there probelms on "some dirty marketer online." I get that, it is human nature to blame others for our own mistakes or shortcomings however it is WRONG.

    Some of the finest marketers in the world are here on WF and some of the biggest scroundrels. You need to admit when you are wrong, learn from your mistakes and move on. Maybe IM is not your bag.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6185646].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Tina Golden
      Originally Posted by TolyZ View Post

      Example (2threads from the same person):
      1st Thread - "Let me show you how to make $1000 per day" (in the WSO section)
      2nd Thread - How can I make $10 / day? (in the main section).

      It just looks funny to me.
      Doesn't look funny to me. It looks like a dumbass posted a WSO. It happens.

      You can't judge an entire industry or even one forum section on the basis of one dumbass.

      Well, you can, but then it looks like there's two dumbasses.
      Signature
      Discover how to have fabulous, engaging content with
      Fast & Easy Content Creation
      ***Especially if you don't have enough time, money, or just plain HATE writing***
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6185702].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Paul Myers
        Tina,
        Doesn't look funny to me. It looks like a dumbass posted a WSO. It happens.
        It got closed, too.

        Folks, if you see something like that, please report it.


        Paul
        Signature
        .
        Stop by Paul's Pub - my little hangout on Facebook.

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6185824].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Tina Golden
          Originally Posted by Paul Myers View Post

          Tina,It got closed, too.

          Folks, if you see something like that, please report it.


          Paul
          Just for the record, if I had seen it, I would have reported it. I was just responded to what was said here - I have no idea what thread he was referring to.
          Signature
          Discover how to have fabulous, engaging content with
          Fast & Easy Content Creation
          ***Especially if you don't have enough time, money, or just plain HATE writing***
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6185866].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author capitalalchemy
            I agree with the statement. For instance, many failed filmmakers become professors.

            However, both are important roles. You can teach and you can do...but here's the catch.

            Not very many people are good teachers. You have to be a natural at it I feel.

            Plus the industry of teaching is just that -- an industry. You can develop a better product or outsmart your competition on some levels, just as much as you can develop a better system for teaching.
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6185894].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author Jill Carpenter
              Originally Posted by TolyZ View Post

              Just to hear your opinion on this saying. I think this applies to IM very well. As you might notice, people that actually offer a service or run an eCommerce sites don't have time to write WSO's etc. because they busy running and improving their business.
              Your opinions?
              I suppose you also would think they don't have time to post on silly marketing forums either.

              Then again, they don't have to actually write their own WSO's - they can outsource that.
              Signature

              "May I have ten thousand marbles, please?"

              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6186254].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Bill Farnham
        Originally Posted by Tina Golden View Post

        Doesn't look funny to me. It looks like a dumbass posted a WSO. It happens.
        Paul's cat posts WSOs :confused:

        "Killer Kitty Kash"...I can see it now...:p

        ~Bill
        Signature
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6185846].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Shane N
    Those who can, DO.
    Those who can't, TEACH.
    Those who have already done, COACH.


    * Although I don't necessarily agree with the "those who can't, teach" philosophy per se, just wanted to add the clever quote, lol.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6185774].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author WillR
    I guess this saying could also be applied to the SEO services that are littering your signature. If you were so good at SEO one might ask why you wouldn't instead use your skills to create and rank your own websites rather than spending time on ranking other people's sites you will never own?

    Touche?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6185877].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author David Sneen
    That quote might apply to athletics. Most coaches can no longer compete with the athletes they coach.

    But, in the real world, those who teach are more competent in their field because they know it so well.

    The saying persists because it has a grain of truth in it. But, only a grain of truth. Most teachers are quite competent in their fields of expertise. That is because, if you wish to learn something really well, teach it!!!
    Signature
    David Sneen
    It's what you do when no one is watching
    that determines what you will be able to
    do when everyone is watching.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6186550].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Robert Bleach
    Successful troll is successful.
    1/10 just because you got me to click on your "Ways to Make Money" link to verify your hypocrisy. Imagine my shock that it resolved to a site throwing a 500 error that won't load. So, is having a non-working website an "ez" way to make money?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6186551].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Dennis Gaskill
    Originally Posted by TolyZ View Post

    Those who can - DO, Those who can't - TEACH
    Many people do both well, but if you want to believe that statement is true, go right ahead. What is really cool about life is that each one of us gets to choose which self-limiting beliefs we accept or reject.
    Signature

    Just when you think you've got it all figured out, someone changes the rules.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6186733].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author specialized
    Those who can, do; yet there are also many who could, if life were more fair, but are prevented from "doing" by a series of complex circumstances not necessarily their fault at all.

    Those who teach aren't necessarily those who "can't"; maybe they "can" but enjoy the teaching process more than the "doing," or maybe they are simply among the ones who really know their stuff but have been prevented by circumstances beyond their control from "doing" as successfully as some others "do."

    To put it another way, real life is infinitely more complex than some sarcastic slogan can ever reflect.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6186760].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author tpw
      Originally Posted by specialized View Post

      To put it another way, real life is infinitely more complex than some sarcastic slogan can ever reflect.

      Beautiful...
      Signature
      Bill Platt, Oklahoma USA, PlattPublishing.com
      Publish Coloring Books for Profit (WSOTD 7-30-2015)
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6186768].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author sal64
        Originally Posted by tpw View Post

        Beautiful...
        So is your Kindle Marketing WSO.
        Signature
        Internet Marketing: 20% Internet - 80% Marketing!
        You Won't See The Light Until You Open Your Eyes.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6186825].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Ben Armstrong
        Given the nature of IM, there are always going to be many people teaching things that they themselves don't understand, or can't actually do themselves. And probably in higher numbers than you would find in other fields. This doesn't mean however, that there aren't a lot of damn good teachers in the IM world who excel at what they teach.

        You should be careful making generalizations about such things.
        Signature

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6186839].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author sal64
    What about those that can do but are lousy teachers?

    Thread of massive FAIL!
    Signature
    Internet Marketing: 20% Internet - 80% Marketing!
    You Won't See The Light Until You Open Your Eyes.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6186822].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author iAmNameLess
    There is a difference between the people that formulate an idea they have never tried, and selling that theory to others who may or may not try it... and people that have systems or techniques they have tried and tested and now want to pass down and share with others.

    Those are 2, entirely different groups of people selling WSOs. There are definitely many that teach, but can't do... but there are also many that can do both, very well.

    I really dislike it that people join this forum with the goal of releasing a WSO because they can't make money any other way. It bothers me, and maybe it shouldn't since it is a way to make money online, I just don't feel that it's legit when someone is trying to teach something they can not do. I'm sure that's more of what the OP is referring to, and just phrased it wrong. I'll back em up on that, I feel that same way, but without the over generalization. I think we have to change our attitudes about it though... Let them do whatever, I guess.. it has nothing to do with whether I succeed or not, and getting annoyed or irritated about something so small and something that has nothing to do with us is just pointless.

    If you, or 50 guests browsing this forum, are happy with teaching and not doing, and another 10 are happy with doing, and not teaching... the reality is, it has nothing to do with what I can DO.. or with what I can teach if I decided I wanted to. LOL. It's hard to not be irritated at this at times, but when we become focus on what other people do or don't do instead of our strategies and actions, that means trouble.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6186905].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author sal64
    Ok, so here's a question...

    Let's say I do not use a certain type of software. But I can pull it apart (metaphorically) and create a pdf that teaches others how to do it. Is this unethical?

    And what if that software was a tool for making money?

    It's a subjective argument.
    Signature
    Internet Marketing: 20% Internet - 80% Marketing!
    You Won't See The Light Until You Open Your Eyes.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6187074].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author ExRat
      Hi sal64,

      Originally Posted by sal64 View Post

      Ok, so here's a question...

      Let's say I do not use a certain type of software. But I can pull it apart (metaphorically) and create a pdf that teaches others how to do it. Is this unethical?

      And what if that software was a tool for making money?

      It's a subjective argument.
      One of the problems I frequently observe is that the person who designed the software, wasn't a 'doer' themselves but came up with a hook (based on a lie) and built a sales message around it and then produced a software to fit the salespage.

      The task that the software achieves doesn't actually achieve anything. But it looks like it should, the process sounds cool and the interface looks cool on one's desktop amongst other shiny things.

      All of the following spin offs (Eg the pdf) use the same hook but are based on the same lie.

      An exponentially multiplying waste of time :rolleyes:
      Signature


      Roger Davis

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6187137].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Tsnyder
    Originally Posted by TolyZ View Post

    Just to hear your opinion on this saying. I think this applies to IM very well. As you might notice, people that actually offer a service or run an eCommerce sites don't have time to write WSO's etc. because they busy running and improving their business.
    Your opinions?
    Son... I'm not going to slap you around. I'm going to act like
    a good mentor and recommend you go back to school and learn
    something about scale and leverage.

    Report back on how that new knowledge affects your thinking on the subject.
    Signature
    If you knew what I know you'd be doing what I do...
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6187089].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author rosetrees
    Well. I'm a teacher (facilitator perhaps, rather than teacher) and I run WSOs...............
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6187200].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author brettb
    Ha ha ha, I've lost count of newbies here who have make money online blogs.
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6187895].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Andyhenry
    I never understand why people make these generalisations.

    I thought most people's idea of IM success was making money on autopilot to the point where you don't need to spend much time doing it yourself. Working On your business not In it.

    In which case - those who are successful SHOULD have time to teach others if they want to.
    Signature

    nothing to see here.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6187921].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author vickybabe
      Originally Posted by Andyhenry View Post

      I never understand why people make these generalisations.

      I thought most people's idea of IM success was making money on autopilot to the point where you don't need to spend much time doing it yourself. Working On your business not In it.

      In which case - those who are successful SHOULD have time to teach others if they want to.
      And make money in the process
      Signature
      Free Wso: Watch As We Rank A Video On The First Page In 4 Minutes Flat - Get Access Here
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6189033].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Marcus Rockey
    Originally Posted by TolyZ View Post

    Just to hear your opinion on this saying. I think this applies to IM very well. As you might notice, people that actually offer a service or run an eCommerce sites don't have time to write WSO's etc. because they busy running and improving their business.
    Your opinions?
    Interesting point.

    Well I am doing both. Running a site and writing reports and WSO's. How do I do it all?

    Outsourcing.

    All the tasks in my business that are not a proper use of my productive time are outsourced. This gives me the space to focus on the other activities that make me money, such as WSO's, reports etc.

    My business thrives as a result of this system. It would not make any sense for me to focus solely on content, back-linking, list building etc.

    It works and I recommend it to every IM.

    Marcus
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6187938].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Daniel Deegan
    This a really great topic for discussion. In my opinion it's not a cut & dry situation for multiple reasons. It depends a lot on what your trying to teach, how your trying to teach and even more importantly your ability to teach and communicate effectively.

    The truth is there are a lot of experts out there who have the know how but are HORRIBLE at teaching effectively.

    You then have people (experienced writers, etc.) who are not experts in a topic but are experts at research and distilling and communicating valuable information.

    The reality is, as long as you can clearly identify the questions that need answers for your target audience and then get answers to those questions through solid research you don't need to be the actual expert.

    The problem is there is A LOT to the process if you really want to deliver value. So while I feel you really don't have to be an expert it's clearly an uphill battle until you have all the systems and processes in place with some real experience at it.

    The best advice I can give to anyone who is trying to create REAL value as a non expert is to really spend time researching and understanding your audience. When it comes to creating content or your first product as a non expert, drill down to a small but key area of the topic and find a problem within a narrow sub topic to solve.

    When your not an expert yourself its much easier to become an expert quickly on 1 small but important area or problem within a topic. This way you can actually deliver value.

    Running a coaching programs with very little experience in what you are coaching people on is pretty shady.
    Signature

    ****************************************
    Spy & Track Winning Facebook Ads

    Spy & Track
    Winning Google Content Network Ads
    Spy & Track Winning Bing & Google PPC Search Ads
    â„¢ACP - Click Here For Details
    ****************************************

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6188042].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Will Edwards
    And those that can't teach ... teach PE
    Signature
    Whether you are a Reader, an Author or a Website Owner, we have something for you!

    Books that Inspire
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6188057].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author WebPen
    Universities are FULL of professors who never applied what they're teaching.

    Grade school teachers are the same way- most of them never applied what they learned "in the real world".

    Am I saying that you should just make product after product without knowing a thing about it? No.

    But product creation isn't sunshine and rainbows.
    You have to either do graphics yourself or outsource it.
    You have to do research.
    You have to test what you're about to teach to make sure it works.
    You have to create or outsource the product.
    You have to create or outsource the copywriting.
    You have to find affiliates, or use other traffic methods.

    In other words- product creation isn't the magic, no-work bullet either. It's a lot of work, and if you're better at it then driving traffic, copywriting, or the technical side- why not do it?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6188061].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Kim Standerline
    Wasn't it George Bernard Shaw that formulated that pearl of wisdom?
    Probably one of the more stupid things he uttered...

    Lots of excellent people out there who can walk the walk as well as talk the talk, (myself included). In fact I see a number of people who have contributed to this thread whom I know are excellent at both

    Kim
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6188270].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author AdwordsMogul
    This is similar to people complaining "He makes more money from selling his method than from his method itself." So what?

    Say you know how to make $10 in 3 days, guaranteed. Now you sell a course for $1 on how to do that. This means if the person who buys applies this only once, they will make $9 profit.

    If you sell this method to a thousand people you make $1 x 1000 = $1000 from something that would normally make you $10.

    That's called being smart.
    Signature
    "Those who can - DO IT. Those who can't, say it's impossible."
    Jean Paul a.k.a AdwordsMogul
    PHPDevelopers.net - Top of the range PHP developers

    Easy Link Saver - Are you tired of the pain of constantly searching for your affiliate links? ( Chrome extension - FREE )
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6188583].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Takuya Hikichi
    For most people who love to teach, it isn't about money.

    I know that sounds strange, but true...

    It was humbling for me to go to school with future teachers and
    saw how passionate people were about making a difference in the world.

    Imagine being able to help other adults without high school education go to
    college by helping them pass GED, wouldn't this make you feel great?

    In fact, we always talked about how nobody goes into teaching for money.
    If we were, we were in the wrong profession.

    But the good news when it comes to teaching IM is....

    You do not need anyone's permission or credentials to be a teacher.

    If someone wants to be a teacher, he can start any time by sharing effective
    methods. There is no rules as to WHEN you should start teaching others
    or start building an email list. You do it when you are ready.

    Sure, there will be teachers who may be unqualified. But the market eventually figures that out.

    And, the inspiring teachers know that teaching isn't about covering all materials.

    But it's about empowering students with possibilities they didn't know existed before.

    If you can do that, then you are a good teacher.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6188709].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Chri5123
    I think a better saying would be:

    "You can learn, teachers can teach but NO-ONE can do it for YOU!"

    This is my experience with teaching anyway especially in IM.

    Out of every 100 I teach a handful "get it".

    It is ALL down to action as well - it is not that the rest do not understand it is that when it comes down to it people don't BELIEVE that it will work for them.

    Chris
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6188862].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Patrick Batty
    Sometimes those who CAN also like to help out those who "CAN'T .. so far" so they CAN later. It's kind of what teaching is all about.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6188920].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author vickybabe
    Originally Posted by TolyZ View Post

    Just to hear your opinion on this saying. I think this applies to IM very well. As you might notice, people that actually offer a service or run an eCommerce sites don't have time to write WSO's etc. because they busy running and improving their business.
    Your opinions?
    In case you didn't know wso means warrior special offer. Some of us that actually run a website that offers a service also run wso's at a discounted price. ie a "special offer" for that service. Which i believe to be smart marketing move creating more business and customers for ourselves.

    If you actually knew what you were talking about you would be doing the exact thing you are whinging about. Have a nice day
    Signature
    Free Wso: Watch As We Rank A Video On The First Page In 4 Minutes Flat - Get Access Here
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6189012].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author JohnMcCabe
      Originally Posted by vickybabe View Post

      If you actually knew what you were talking about you would be doing the exact thing you are whinging about. Have a nice day
      Since when has knowing what one is talking about been a requirement for whinging about something? :confused:

      One more thing...

      Have you noticed that the OP hasn't been back to respond to all those people who got to see his sig? :rolleyes:
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6189516].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author czilbersher
    Those who do, look down upon those who don't because they assume that they can't...and therefore, they teach. Applying this to culture in the US, we devalue the profession of teaching, offer abysmal salaries to those in the teaching profession, then complain when we see rankings of how the US has precipitously fallen from a world leader in education to a 2nd-rank, 3rd-world country in areas of science, mathematics among others. Here's a little riddle for ya: Know what you get when you pay a K12 teacher 39K/year? You get what you pay for. Stop complaining that your little darling can't perform long division or complete a sentence wihout using texting syntax. Okay, that's all I have to say for today's diatribe. (For the record, I'm not, nor ever have been, a teacher. I could never support my family on a teacher's salary). What does this have to do with IM? Absolutely nuthin'!
    Signature

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6189486].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author John Romaine
    Those who have no idea, post useless threads.
    Signature

    BS free SEO services, training and advice - SEO Point

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6189624].message }}

Trending Topics