HOW DO YOU FEEL ABOUT DIME SALES?

35 replies
I started this thread to let people sound off on way or the other about Dime Sales, instead of putting up posts on someones sales page (like I did) :rolleyes:.

I'm coping a recent post I made on a marketers WSO sales page, when that wasn't the place for this discussion. So I copied the post here, and deleted it there. You can gather my opinion from my post.

"...this underscores my disagreement with dime sales in general. Somebody is always paying more than the last guy - until the price is maxed out (or until the perceived max value is reached and people quit buying). So how then are dime sales fair? Usually it's fear of paying more (if you wait, or even have questions about an offer) than the value of the offer that drives a dime sale. The guy paying $9 is rewarded for being quick, while the guy who comes in last pays $27 because he didn't know about the offer (or maybe because the list owner held off mailing an offer to his list because X% of $27 is more than X% of $9 AND the list owner knows that the value is there so people will pay a higher price)!

So, how is asking someone to pay $27 for a product that may have been sold just a few hours before for $9 "fair.?" Answer: it's not. Ironically, it has very little to do with the true "value" (your products are easily worth $27, if not more) of a product, but more to do with "fear of loss."

As a marketing gimmick dime sales are incredibly effective. For "fairness," dime sales suck. "Fair" is pricing a product for value, and then subtracting a discount for people who are WF members.

JMO, and I'll probably buy volume one anyway because the value is there. However, I hope you understand why I'm not totally convinced by the reasoning behind your "fairness" decision. Not that it matters, it's totally your decision, I'm not the first person to object to dime sales, nor will I be the last. I've also seen plenty or marketers responses to similar anti-dimesale arguments, such is "it's an effective marketing tactic," or "you don't have to buy," etc.

Bottom line: nobody enjoys feeling like they just "missed out or had to pay more" just because they were unable to be first to the pay button. Better (IMO) to price an offering at a fair price first, and let people make a buying decision based on value instead of fear of loss.

Regards,
Maury"


How do you feel about Dime Sales?
#dime #feel #sales
  • Profile picture of the author Alexa Smith
    Banned
    Originally Posted by Powder_Skier View Post

    How do you feel about Dime Sales?
    I more or less agree with what you've written above, I think.

    As a customer, perhaps less strongly. It doesn't really bother me too much: I'll buy what I want to anyway, and don't honestly care much (in the context we're discussing) about what the price is, because we're only talking about "small change" here, anyway. It doesn't make any difference to me whether I pay $7 or $27 for a WSO, and I accept that this is "part of the game": it's just how some are sold, and I tolerate that (and I don't buy many anyway, these days, so I don't encounter it all that often).

    As a marketer, if I were selling a WSO, I wouldn't touch the idea, and it would leave a very bad taste indeed in my mouth. It seems to me to be completely arbitrary, phony, distasteful and unpleasant. If I can't determine the price of what I'm selling, I wouldn't want to be selling it. And it smacks of "false urgency", too. Not only "false urgency", in fact, but urgency with the falsity openly self-admitted, which seems even worse.

    In fact, thinking about how I'd feel about it as a marketer (if I were selling a WSO, I mean) makes me wonder whether I ought to be so tolerant about it as a customer. But there you go: WSO's are so cheap that I cant really bring myself to care about it much.

    If people want to sell them that way, it's not going to put me off buying them. I wouldn't do it myself, but I don't judge others adversely for it. Anyone can make a mistake, or get sucked in to trying a "commonly used technique", I suppose. I suspect it may speak of "lack of confidence". But perhaps not always? Not sure about this ...
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6347944].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author DonaldGadson
      Originally Posted by Alexa Smith View Post

      I more or less agree with what you've written above, I think.

      As a customer, perhaps less strongly. It doesn't really bother me too much: I'll buy what I want to anyway, and don't honestly care much (in the context we're discussing) about what the price is, because we're only talking about "small change" here, anyway. It doesn't make any difference to me whether I pay $7 or $27 for a WSO, and I accept that this is "part of the game": it's just how some are sold, and I tolerate that (and I don't buy many anyway, these days, so I don't encounter it all that often).

      As a marketer, if I were selling a WSO, I wouldn't touch the idea, and it would leave a very bad taste indeed in my mouth. It seems to me to be completely arbitrary, phony, distasteful and unpleasant. If I can't determine the price of what I'm selling, I wouldn't want to be selling it. And it smacks of "false urgency", too. Not only "false urgency", in fact, but urgency with the falsity openly self-admitted, which seems even worse.

      In fact, thinking about how I'd feel about it as a marketer (if I were selling a WSO, I mean) makes me wonder whether I ought to be so tolerant about it as a customer. But there you go: WSO's are so cheap that I cant really bring myself to care about it much.

      If people want to sell them that way, it's not going to put me off buying them. I wouldn't do it myself, but I don't judge others adversely for it. Anyone can make a mistake, or get sucked in to trying a "commonly used technique", I suppose. I suspect it may speak of "lack of confidence". But perhaps not always? Not sure about this ...
      Couldn't have said it better ! Alexa, I think you articulated it from a very balanced and honest perspective. Good stuff!
      Signature

      These are secrets about College everyone is dying to know!
      http://www.collegeisnteverything.com

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6536059].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author E. Brian Rose
    Have you ever seen a commercial that has a special deal for the first 100 callers? How about a markdown at WalMart? Both are cases of one person paying more than another. Marketers seem to be the ones that complain the most about marketing techniques. I never understood that.
    Signature

    Founder of JVZoo. All around good guy :)

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6347984].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author LegitIncomes
      Originally Posted by E. Brian Rose View Post

      Have you ever seen a commercial that has a special deal for the first 100 callers? How about a markdown at WalMart? Both are cases of one person paying more than another. Marketers seem to be the ones that complain the most about marketing techniques. I never understood that.
      EXACTLY. BINGO. YOU HIT THE NAIL ON THE HEAD.

      I say, WHO CARES what the guy before or after you paid??

      Someone gets a product for $30 that's worth a HECK OF A LOT MORE, it's a great deal, they are extremely happy with it, but then they see someone else got it for $25 and all hell breaks loose? WHAT?

      All that should matter is: Is it worth what you paid and are you happy with it?
      If so, forget about the rest, forget about what most of the time (especially if we are talking WSOs) is just a few dollars difference (or less), and GET TO WORK.
      Signature
      100% Unique Sales Page Website +100% Unique Internet Marketing Product
      + Support! All of this, just $397! (PM Me For Details!)
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6351118].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Kay King
        As a marketer, if I were selling a WSO, I wouldn't touch the idea, and it would leave a very bad taste indeed in my mouth.
        Seems to me the line above is all you need to say. You could add - "as a customer I don't like dime sales" - and be done with it.

        As a customer - you buy what you choose to buy. As a marketer, you use the sales method you think is fair and honest.

        What others do - is their choice and their business. With dime sales, those who get in early think it's great and a few who are late to the party will whine about it. That's the nature of the beast.

        kay
        Signature
        Saving one dog will not change the world - but the world will change forever for that one dog.

        My mind still thinks I'm 25.
        My body thinks my mind is an idiot.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6351450].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Powder_Skier
          Originally Posted by Kay King View Post

          Seems to me the line above is all you need to say. You could add - "as a customer I don't like dime sales" - and be done with it.

          As a customer - you buy what you choose to buy. As a marketer, you use the sales method you think is fair and honest.

          What others do - is their choice and their business. With dime sales, those who get in early think it's great and a few who are late to the party will whine about it. That's the nature of the beast.

          kay
          I realize that what I have started here is basically as popular as setting up a non-smoking exhibit at an R. J. Reynolds tobacco company convention.

          However, here is another point many here may be missing. If a large section of the WF feel like they are getting shafted (as a customer) by dimesales, wouldn't a wise marketer explore other ways to create urgency in their buyers? Everyone says that dimesales are so effective, but has anyone done any research to prove that? Effective compared to what? The argument is "it's always been done that way," to which I reply "people used to think the world was flat."

          Fear of loss is one of the best motivators a marketer can use, but perhaps there are other ways to create motivation without leaving a bad taste in peoples mouths.
          Signature
          Don't Be A Hackers Victim - Secure Your Wordpress Website Now!
          Not sure the best path to take? Which security plugins are best that won't break your site? Confused about configuring the plugins properly? Don't want to DIY? I'll secure it for you @ a reasonable rate, including backups. Click Here!
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6352292].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Dan C. Rinnert
            I think if someone advertises that they are having a dime sale, and the sale price is more than ten cents, that's false advertising and I'm not a fan of that.
            Signature

            Dan's content is irregularly read by handfuls of people. Join the elite few by reading his blog: dcrBlogs.com, following him on Twitter: dcrTweets.com or reading his fiction: dcrWrites.com but NOT by Clicking Here!

            Dan also writes content for hire, but you can't afford him anyway.
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6352357].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author RichardWing
            Apparently Dimesales are effective because I see many of the same marketers including myself running them again and again. If they were not effective do you think we would continue to employ them?

            The fact is each sale at the time of purchase is a agreement between me the seller and you the buyer for a given product. its up to you to decide if the product is worth what I am asking YOU.

            Will it give you what you are needing... usually saving you time, effort or money. Does it really matter iun the scheme of things that a guy before you paid $1 less than you?

            The issue comes down to this in my honest opinion. The complainers are not buying for what the product claims to do for them or the buyer doesnt plan to use or impliment the said product. That is going in with a negative attitude. If they planned to get the product and it saved them time effort or money then they wouldnt care about the jones' and what they paid.

            Their focus is in the wrong place.

            In your case you wanted some wordpress themes at a discounted rate that was no longer available. How can a wordpress theme be any more or less valuable if you plan to use the theme? If you plan to use the theme then why buy the other themes if you already have a theme?

            Will using the themes make you more sales? if so im sure you plan to make more sales than the cost of the theme?

            Were they themes for reselling or dev rights to use with clients you plan to make money off of? If so couldnt you make up any difference in price by marking up your cost for services?

            I don't see any problem with dimesales from either a marketing or cunsumer point of view. Its basic marketing principles of supply and demand.

            The seller says I have so many pieces for sale at this price and so many pieces for sale at this price. Once supply is out... well you know.

            Bottom line we all have a choice where to buy our products. No one forces us to click the buy button.

            Richard Wing
            623-505-6302
            skype - richardwing

            Do some soal searching and

            Originally Posted by Powder_Skier View Post

            I realize that what I have started here is basically as popular as setting up a non-smoking exhibit at an R. J. Reynolds tobacco company convention.

            However, here is another point many here may be missing. If a large section of the WF feel like they are getting shafted (as a customer) by dimesales, wouldn't a wise marketer explore other ways to create urgency in their buyers? Everyone says that dimesales are so effective, but has anyone done any research to prove that? Effective compared to what? The argument is "it's always been done that way," to which I reply "people used to think the world was flat."

            Fear of loss is one of the best motivators a marketer can use, but perhaps there are other ways to create motivation without leaving a bad taste in peoples mouths.
            Signature

            Recent Release | FB Chat & Menu Widget Generator http://supersellertools.com/wpfbchatwidget/

            http://www.SuperSellerSupport.com | My Facebook Profile http://facebook.com/azrichardwing

            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6535681].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Trevor M
    There's a similar one about to be introduced too. A timesale.

    I just received an e-mail a couple of hours ago from WSOPro where they introduced it.

    Basically, it's the same as a dimesale. Except instead of the price rising every time someone makes a purchase, the price rises after a set interval of time. For example: Every hour the price will rise $0.10.

    - Trevor
    Signature

    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6348033].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author travlinguy
    I like 'em. They provide a great incentive to act, which is what they're supposed to do. Nowhere does fairness even enter into the equation.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6348276].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Paul Myers
      I don't mind them much. I do, however, mind people using ALL CAPS IN THEIR THREAD TITLES.

      That's considered shouting. Unless there's a good reason to shout, it's a bit on the inconsiderate side. And it's becoming more common, which is likely to get me deleting threads for that reason. We're not going to turn the discussion indexes into the kind of ridiculous free-for-all the ad sections had going on for a while.


      Paul
      Signature
      .
      Stop by Paul's Pub - my little hangout on Facebook.

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6348342].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Tina Golden
        Do you complain to the store that they are unfair because people bought roast beef last night for only $2.99 per lb. but this morning you have to pay $4.99 per lb. because you failed to buy while it was on sale?
        Signature
        Discover how to have fabulous, engaging content with
        Fast & Easy Content Creation
        ***Especially if you don't have enough time, money, or just plain HATE writing***
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6348523].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Powder_Skier
          Originally Posted by Tina Golden View Post

          Do you complain to the store that they are unfair because people bought roast beef last night for only $2.99 per lb. but this morning you have to pay $4.99 per lb. because you failed to buy while it was on sale?
          Hmmm - interesting idea. Let's use your example with the dimesale mentality.

          Ok, picture a line of people lining up to buy roast beef, except the price rises each time someone buys. Pretty soon the people at the back of the line will start to mummer, then yell, then...? Yep, now that would be a big hit at the local supermarket.

          Your example is based on a certain price being valid for a period of time. Dimesales are usually not.
          Signature
          Don't Be A Hackers Victim - Secure Your Wordpress Website Now!
          Not sure the best path to take? Which security plugins are best that won't break your site? Confused about configuring the plugins properly? Don't want to DIY? I'll secure it for you @ a reasonable rate, including backups. Click Here!
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6349953].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author crosshairs
            Originally Posted by Powder_Skier View Post

            Hmmm - interesting idea. Let's use your example with the dimesale mentality.

            Ok, picture a line of people lining up to buy roast beef, except the price rises each time someone buys. Pretty soon the people at the back of the line will start to mummer, then yell, then...? Yep, now that would be a BIG hit at the local supermarket.

            Your example is based on a certain price being valid for a period of time. Dimesales are usually not.
            You mean like airline tickets? They are pretty much on the Dime Sale mentality except they are tangible goods so there is a finite number available.

            It's funny that every person in this thread is a War Room Member
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6350097].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author Powder_Skier
              Originally Posted by crosshairs View Post

              You mean like airline tickets? They are pretty much on the Dime Sale mentality except they are tangible goods so there is a finite number available...
              You make a valid point - the fewer airline seats are available, the more they cost. With that said, I think there is a big difference between a finite number of airline seats and a cyber product that has no limited number, except as a seller might artificially limit sales to charge more, or just "say" they will only sell so many to create false scarcity.
              Signature
              Don't Be A Hackers Victim - Secure Your Wordpress Website Now!
              Not sure the best path to take? Which security plugins are best that won't break your site? Confused about configuring the plugins properly? Don't want to DIY? I'll secure it for you @ a reasonable rate, including backups. Click Here!
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6350433].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Powder_Skier
        Originally Posted by Paul Myers View Post

        I don't mind them much. I do, however, mind people using ALL CAPS IN THEIR THREAD TITLES.

        That's considered shouting. Unless there's a good reason to shout, it's a bit on the inconsiderate side. And it's becoming more common, which is likely to get me deleting threads for that reason. We're not going to turn the discussion indexes into the kind of ridiculous free-for-all the ad sections had going on for a while.


        Paul
        Sorry about the all caps - and point learned.
        Signature
        Don't Be A Hackers Victim - Secure Your Wordpress Website Now!
        Not sure the best path to take? Which security plugins are best that won't break your site? Confused about configuring the plugins properly? Don't want to DIY? I'll secure it for you @ a reasonable rate, including backups. Click Here!
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6349100].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Black Hat Cat
          Banned
          Originally Posted by Powder_Skier View Post

          For "fairness," dime sales suck. "Fair" is pricing a product for value, and then subtracting a discount for people who are WF members..
          Nope....making someone pay more simply because they didn't know they could get it cheaper at the WF is just as "unfair" as dime sales.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6350124].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Michael D Forbes
    If I go to an auction and want item "X" at a fair price, I have to be willing to self-set that fair price to more than the bidder next to me. If I successfully outbid my neighbor, but then the lady across the room decides that my price + $1 is her fair price, I am not getting item "X", UNLESS I decide to bite the bullet and pay an unfair price which is a little more than her max.

    Fairness has nuttin' to do with it, just like in an auction. If you don't like the price, you drop out of the game. Pretty simple. Or... you might stretch a bit and buy it, knowing full well that you were manipulated into a higher price... but who would suggest auctions are an invalid selling strategy? Anyone?

    The correct price in an open market is always exactly what someone is willing to pay and the seller is willing to sell for, and it matters not a bit how the price was arrived at.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6348626].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author markan
    From a customer's perspective, I often come back to review a product several times before deciding whether or not to make a purchase. If the price has gone up during that time, sometimes I will pass. Most times, however, the fact that the product is slightly more expensive will have little bearing on my decision whether or not to buy.

    From a marketing perspective, they are very effective. Creating a sense of urgency is a marketing technique that will never go away.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6348720].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Tsnyder
    I think it's a total non-issue. The seller has the right
    to determine his/her sales strategy. If you don't like what
    they choose the solution is simple... don't buy. What's to be
    gained by whining about it?

    Who told you life was going to be fair? Grow up...
    Signature
    If you knew what I know you'd be doing what I do...
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6348902].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Powder_Skier
      Hmmm - well, I think I should have posted the ENTIRE conversation I referred to in my original post, which was why I posted my comment about the "fairness" of dime sales in the first place.

      A marketer offered a WSO (Volume 2) for Wordpress themes, which I purchased. When going to Warrior Plus to download Version 2 (there was no OTO) I noticed there was a Volume 1 which I had NOT purchased as I had missed the offer totally.

      I suggested to the seller that perhaps he could offer Volume 1 at a discount as a OTO, to which he replied

      "Originally Posted by ..............
      @Powder_Skier - Thank you for the suggestion. We decided against doing special offers or discounts on previous volumes because we felt that it wouldn't be fair to those who bought at full price. We would rather protect the investment that folks are making in the themes, I hope you can understand. Thank you for the feedback!"

      And my reply -

      "Hi ..... - and I understand. But this underscores my disagreement with dime sales in general. Somebody is always paying more than the last guy - until the price is maxed out (or until the perceived max value is reached and people quit buying). So how then are dime sales fair? Usually it's fear of paying more (if you wait, or even have questions about an offer) than the value of the offer that drives a dime sale. The guy paying $9 is rewarded for being quick, while the guy who comes in last pays $27 because he didn't know about the offer (or maybe because the list owner held off mailing an offer to his list because X% of $27 is more than X% of $9 AND the list owner knows that the value is there so people will pay a higher price)!

      So, how is asking someone to pay $27 for a product that may have been sold just a few hours before for $9 "fair.?" Answer: it's not. Ironically, it has very little to do with the true "value" (your products are easily worth $27, if not more) of a product, but more to do with "fear of loss."

      As a marketing gimmick dime sales are incredibly effective. For "fairness," dime sales suck. "Fair" is pricing a product for value, and then subtracting a discount for people who are WF members.

      JMO, and I'll probably buy volume one anyway because the value is there. However, I hope you understand why I'm not totally convinced by the reasoning behind your "fairness" decision. Not that it matters, it's totally your decision, I'm not the first person to object to dime sales, nor will I be the last. I've also seen plenty or marketers responses to similar anti-dimesale arguments, such is "it's an effective marketing tactic," or "you don't have to buy," etc.

      Bottom line: nobody enjoys feeling like they just "missed out or had to pay more" just because they were unable to be first to the pay button. Better (IMO) to price an offering at a fair price first, and let people make a buying decision based on value instead of fear of loss.

      Regards,
      Maury"

      Perhaps in context what I wrote will make more sense, or at least the reason behind my comment.

      BTW, the last time I checked the WF was all about Marketing. Since most of you that have replied here have replied from the perspective of a marketer and not a customer, I would think you would like to know how your potential customers feel about certain marketing tactics. If your response to honest feedback is to label your potential customers as "whiners" and tell them to "grow up," then unlike WalMart or the local supermarket, perhaps you should think a bit more about different marketing methods and how they help or hurt your bottom line. That was the whole purpose of my post in the first place, that dime sales are viewed by many as unfair marketing, and they P.O. a lot of people. JMO
      Signature
      Don't Be A Hackers Victim - Secure Your Wordpress Website Now!
      Not sure the best path to take? Which security plugins are best that won't break your site? Confused about configuring the plugins properly? Don't want to DIY? I'll secure it for you @ a reasonable rate, including backups. Click Here!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6348982].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Tina Golden
        Originally Posted by Powder_Skier View Post

        BTW, the last time I checked the WF was all about Marketing. Since most of you that have replied here have replied from the perspective of a marketer and not a customer, I would think you would like to know how your potential customers feel about certain marketing tactics. If your response to honest feedback is to label your potential customers as "whiners" and tell them to "grow up," then unlike WalMart or the local supermarket, perhaps you should think a bit more about different marketing methods and how they help or hurt your bottom line. That was the whole purpose of my post in the first place, that dime sales are viewed by many as unfair marketing, and they P.O. a lot of people. JMO
        The problem with your logic here is that everyone on this forum IS a marketer or at least wants to be. Neither you nor anyone else here is truly speaking from only the consumer end of things.

        I don't see how dimesales even play into your original comments, now that you've posted the rest of the conversation. You wanted a deal on a product and the seller said no. How does that have anything to do with dimesales?

        If the market as a whole truly disliked dimesales, I doubt that they would be so effective. The fact that you and some others on the forum dislike them doesn't have any bearing on the market as a whole.

        Funny, I've never seen anyone who paid the LOWEST price complain about dimesales.
        Signature
        Discover how to have fabulous, engaging content with
        Fast & Easy Content Creation
        ***Especially if you don't have enough time, money, or just plain HATE writing***
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6350826].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Powder_Skier
          Originally Posted by Tina Golden View Post

          The problem with your logic here is that everyone on this forum IS a marketer or at least wants to be. Neither you nor anyone else here is truly speaking from only the consumer end of things.

          I don't see how dimesales even play into your original comments, now that you've posted the rest of the conversation. You wanted a deal on a product and the seller said no. How does that have anything to do with dimesales?

          If the market as a whole truly disliked dimesales, I doubt that they would be so effective. The fact that you and some others on the forum dislike them doesn't have any bearing on the market as a whole.

          Funny, I've never seen anyone who paid the LOWEST price complain about dimesales.
          Tina, with all due respect, you missed my whole point. I suggested that the seller put volume one as a OTO at a discount to where it currently is priced @ $27. He said no because "it wouldn't be fair to the people (who ended up paying $27 at the end of his dimesale), to price volume one at a discount" (of say, $17) so people who bought volume two but missed volume one could now get volume one as a OTO to volume two. Hope you followed that.

          My point was that he started his sale as a dimesale priced at $9, and now the price is $27. So if dimesales are fair, and people were willing to pay $27 for a product that had a starting price of $9, than why would people care if the price of volume one was dropped as a OTO to people just buying volume 2? Thus, don't use "fair" as an argument against dropping the price for a OTO. The seller didn't see it that way, which was his right and I was ok with it. I just thought "fair" was a weak argument, as dimesales by nature are "unfair" to those who get in at the end of the sale
          Signature
          Don't Be A Hackers Victim - Secure Your Wordpress Website Now!
          Not sure the best path to take? Which security plugins are best that won't break your site? Confused about configuring the plugins properly? Don't want to DIY? I'll secure it for you @ a reasonable rate, including backups. Click Here!
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6352118].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author louie6925
    I'm afraid I have to agree with the OP! although I think dimesales are an essential part of marketing and would use the tactic myself away from the forum, I personally hate seeing them used on WSO's as I do OTO's aswell!

    Firstly, both those tactics are very good money getting tactics, which are designed to subliminaly play on the emotions of the buyer and encourage them to buy your product!!! like I said, great marketing, BUT (sorry about the caps Paul) it is not subliminal in any way shape or form when your selling to fellow marketers, such as on this forum!!! the fact that nearly everyone who regularly use this forum know about the tactics, then it becomes more offensive than clever to use these tactics!

    If I'm interested in a WSO, I like the sales page, scroll down and find out its a dime sale or has an OTO, then I hit the back button! Like I said, I take it personal that a fellow marketer is using tactics that he/she thinks is playing with my emotions and forcing me to buy, just makes me feel like I'm getting mugged off by that seller! Do they not realise we all know that tactic? do they not think we feel like they are taking the mickey out of us? the same when I get JV's emails saying "get in quick as its a dime sale" - well that email gets closed quick!!!

    The second reason I hate them is this is the Warrior forum! too many people don't see this as a community, and rather see it as a source of income!! and all who commented above that they agree with dime sales are more than likely making good money from WSO's and thats the only reason they agree with them!!!

    What does WSO stand for "Warrior Special Offer", whats so special about using the same marketing techniques you use everywhere else? does sound like you giving to the community? NO! it sounds like your here to make as much money as you can and you don't care who it comes from as long as it comes!!! maybe you guys that are all up for dime sales would like the name to be changed from "Warrior Forum" to "Warrior Marketplace" because thats how you guys treat it!!!

    So back to the OP, yes I agree with you and you make some good points, and as for the poster who told you to 'grow up', let me assure you it is not you that needs to grow up!

    Rant over!!
    Signature
    Feel free to chat if you live in the UK I may have something for you!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6350326].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Powder_Skier
      Originally Posted by louie6925 View Post

      I'm afraid I have to agree with the OP! although I think dimesales are an essential part of marketing and would use the tactic myself away from the forum, I personally hate seeing them used on WSO's as I do OTO's as well!
      Thanks Louie6925, I was starting to feel like the Lone Ranger here. We all know the marketing scheme behind dime sales, and you have well said what many have forgotten - the reason the WF was started in the first place. Well said!

      BTW - there are probably many other WF members who feel exactly as you do - but just don't say anything. They just don't buy - the marketing method or the product.
      Signature
      Don't Be A Hackers Victim - Secure Your Wordpress Website Now!
      Not sure the best path to take? Which security plugins are best that won't break your site? Confused about configuring the plugins properly? Don't want to DIY? I'll secure it for you @ a reasonable rate, including backups. Click Here!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6350480].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Ettienne
    Fact is, dime sales work. I don't mind when people do this, I've done it in the past and I'm sure I'll be using it again in future. As a customer, yes, it sucks when you get to one of these offers two weeks later and end up paying $20 more. Cool thing is, you STILL get a bargain on WF as opposed to Clickbank (where the product is $10 more anyway).
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6351086].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author gax13
    Banned
    "Warriors love dime sales like Germans love David Hasselhoff" (CDarklock)
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6351817].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author CaesarSEO
    Well, people who got in early deserve something better than people who will get later no?
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6351895].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author awdevine
      Different forms of dime sales have been in existence for years; they're just called something else, i.e. K-Mart's Blue Light Special comes to mind.

      Why? Because they are an effective marketing tool and work. Now, that doesn't mean I agree with it one way or another, however, until buyers stop buying dime sale offers, sellers will continue to employ them

      Either way, on the WSO Forum, buyers are, a vast majority of the times, getting an extremely good deal, whether they pay $X or $X + $Y.

      Cheers,

      Anthony
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6351964].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Alexa Smith
      Banned
      Originally Posted by crosshairs View Post

      You mean like airline tickets? They are pretty much on the Dime Sale mentality except they are tangible goods so there is a finite number available.
      Exactly.

      It's the fact that there's only a finite number available that makes it so different
      . That's the difference between scarcity and fake or artificially contrived scarcity, isn't it?

      Originally Posted by CaesarSEO View Post

      Well, people who got in early deserve something better than people who will get later no?
      No.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6536019].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author travlinguy
    Maybe I'm missing something. Who's forcing anyone to participate in a transaction they don't like? We all make choices. Why not just choose to not play?

    Ah, but I want the product. Okay, I understand that.

    Personally, I don't think it's fair that companies selling cartridges for printers charge $70 for two bucks worth of ink and plastic. So I have to make a choice. I can choose not to print anything out or I can pay the going rate.

    One thing I do know, complaining about things I can't control activates energy vampires and wastes my mental and psychic resources.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6352132].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author louie6925
    People are missing the point! Yes dime sales are a good form of marketing! In fact I'll happily admit that I think its clever and forces buyers to act quick! But is it right for it to be used on the warrior forum?

    Imagine you got hold of ten xboxes for $50 each, you could sell them somewhere to strangers for 4/5 times the price you paid, but if you were going to sell to friends, you would likely sell at a very small profit margin if any! Would you text all your friends and and say you only have ten, the first sells for $60, next goes for $70 and so on? Thought not!

    That was my point earlier in the thread, this is meant to be a community but a high percentage of wso sellers see this forum as market and not a community! And anyone who posts a dimesale to fellow warriors is basically saying " yeah i know you know this is just a marketing tactic, but I'm gonna use it on you anyway "

    Like I said, I don't like feeling like I'm being mugged off by anyone, and for that reason I won't buy their product! Treat me as fellow warrior, you want my money, then show ne respect as fellow marketer, not some clueless newbie! You are marketing to marketers on a forum where many people are helping others yet these sellers just want your cash, and there is no bigger evidence of that than doing a dime sale!

    Please listen to the point I'm trying to make! I'm not salting dime sales as in some niches they are genius! But not on this forum!!!!
    Signature
    Feel free to chat if you live in the UK I may have something for you!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6354043].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Tina Golden
      Originally Posted by Powder_Skier View Post

      My point was that he started his sale as a dimesale priced at $9, and now the price is $27. So if dimesales are fair, and people were willing to pay $27 for a product that had a starting price of $9, than why would people care if the price of volume one was dropped as a OTO to people just buying volume 2? Thus, don't use "fair" as an argument against dropping the price for a OTO.
      That makes sense. I see your point there. It's the seller's choice not to do the OTO, of course. I do think you gave him a very good suggestion, however.

      Originally Posted by Powder_Skier View Post

      If a large section of the WF feel like they are getting shafted (as a customer) by dimesales, wouldn't a wise marketer explore other ways to create urgency in their buyers?
      Yes, he would. However, I don't believe that a large section of the forum feels that way. If they did, the dimesales wouldn't continue to work so well here.

      Anyway, you have every right to dislike dimesales but the only thing that will fix that is by not buying. If there really are a lot of people who do not like that type of sale, then they should simply vote with their money - don't buy it. If sellers find themselves doing fewer sales with a dimesale, then they'll stop doing them. At least, the smart ones will... lol.

      I very much doubt that this style of selling will be prohibited from the forum. Even if there is a large number that don't like them, there are also a lot of us who do. C'est la vie.
      Signature
      Discover how to have fabulous, engaging content with
      Fast & Easy Content Creation
      ***Especially if you don't have enough time, money, or just plain HATE writing***
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6354304].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Mark Hess
    Coming at this from an affiliate point of view, I like getting people into dimesales early, it's actually a value to subscribers.... they like it especially when bonuses are offered.

    After selling a **** ton of other people's WSO's I can tell you, there's a cutoff in conversions. Which personally drives me crazy because a product could be an awesome value at $7 but not so much at $17.

    The conversions typically make up for increased price... and from a sellers standpoint, you build a bigger buyers list.

    I get the scarcity, it's a great marketing tactic... but how about testing a 12-24 price freeze when it first launches instead of driving up the price at a ridiculous rate? The concept is still there, and it may piss off less people.
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6354402].message }}
  • As a customer, I personally dislike them. I like pricing and conditions to be clear and simple... Dime sales, scarcity, etc sure work from the marketers point of view, but from the customer's point of view they're a pain.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6535965].message }}

Trending Topics