Content Thieves Nearby

38 replies
So, I posted my brand new site on here a few days ago hoping to get some constructive criticism.

I got a little more than that.

After routinely checking out another warriors' website from his sig, I find ALL my own website posts, word for word, and same article titles. Really?

I'm not even going to post who it is, and what the link is because I don't think that person deserves another backlink - at least not from me. Needless to say, I've already contacted this member and asked for all my content to be removed.

Anyways, lets give this post some value.

What are the steps one should take if someone is found stealing your web content, and what are some ways it can be prevented?
#thiefs #warriorforum
  • Profile picture of the author the goat
    There are three simple steps to avoid this...

    1. Don't post links to your sites on a public forum
    2. Don't post links to your sites on a public forum
    3. Don't post links to your sites on a public forum
    Signature
    Affordable, authority level unique content for 2 cents a word
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6351576].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author tooAlive
      Originally Posted by the goat View Post

      There are three simple steps to avoid this...

      1. Don't post links to your sites on a public forum
      2. Don't post links to your sites on a public forum
      3. Don't post links to your sites on a public forum
      I would have to disagree with that.

      Forum posting and sig links are a great way of generating traffic (As long as the forum is in your same niche). If that were the case, having traffic in general puts you at risk of having your content stolen. Though it does I suppose, which is why I'm asking for ideas on how to prevent it.

      I would agree that just posting your sites on any forum is a bad idea.

      Originally Posted by Kay King View Post

      Revealing your niches on a public forum is not a great idea.

      That said, if your posts and articles are copied you can issue a DMCA - you can also provide the links to the help desk to alert mods to what this person is doing.

      As I understand it - your posts here are copyrighted and only you or the forum owner (in some cases) has a right to use them without permission.

      I've also noticed this happening as some members seem to get all of their content from this forum. Funny thing is, this forum outranks their little sites in google

      kay
      Thanks Kay. The only reason I revealed my niche is because it's already pretty well known - Internet Marketing. Any more competition I would get wouldn't really matter once you consider the number of people already competing in this niche.

      If there's one positive thing I can take out of this, is the reassurance that my content is pretty good. Otherwise, it wouldn't be copied. :p

      Thanks again for your insights guys, keep em' coming.
      Signature
      <img src="$2,387.44-clickbank-check.jpg">

      "Action is the real measure of intelligence." - Napoleon Hill
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6351604].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author the goat
        Originally Posted by tooAlive View Post

        I would have to disagree with that.

        Forum posting and sig links are a great way of generating traffic. If that were the case. Having traffic in general puts you at risk of having your content stolen.
        Okay let me revise...

        Don't post links to your money sites on a public forum full of Internet Marketers
        Signature
        Affordable, authority level unique content for 2 cents a word
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6351621].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Kay King
        You are missing the point. If you are building tight niche or microniche sites, not a good idea to post them. If you are building a site in an unusual and profitable niche, not good to post about it here. That's reality.

        If you have a site in a common niche or in an area focusing on IM - posting the links here IS a great idea.

        I've seen people post the great niche they're building a site on - complete with the stats from their research. There's nothing to stop others from seeing the potential of that niche...and starting their own site.

        Copying posts is the problem here.
        Signature
        Saving one dog will not change the world - but the world changes forever for that one dog.
        ***
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6351628].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author tooAlive
          Originally Posted by the goat View Post

          Okay let me revise...

          Don't post links to your money sites on a public forum full of Internet Marketers
          Agree 100%.

          Originally Posted by Kay King View Post

          You are missing the point. If you are building tight niche or microniche sites, not a good idea to post them. If you are building a site in an unusual and profitable niche, not good to post about it here. That's reality.

          If you have a site in a common niche or in an area focusing on IM - posting the links here IS a great idea.

          I've seen people post the great niche they're building a site on - complete with the stats from their research. There's nothing to stop others from seeing the potential of that niche...and starting their own site.

          Copying posts is the problem here.
          I agree with you completely.

          None of my niche sites have ever, or will ever see the warrior forum.

          The site in question though is about IM, so I didn't hesitate to link it.

          Originally Posted by hodari View Post

          He mean don't post links to your "money" site on public forums. It's one thing to link to your blog or generic website. If I had a site bringing in 1,5,or 10 grand a month bet your bottom dollar it will not appear as a link in the wf. At least not by me.

          There are some marketers who have sites bringing in goobs of money. But you never really hear about those sites. They never publicly post them. The only time I've ever seen them or hear about them was only after buying their product. Or listen to a audio that they record. They know everyone will not listen all the way through !

          But to the outside world all you see is their generic blog or brand site. The goat is right. However you are welcome to continue to post your sites to guys who have the software ready to copy, clone and outrank yours.
          I do agree with that. What I don't agree with is refraining from linking to your site from a targeted forum/blog that will likely generate some useful traffic for you.
          Signature
          <img src="$2,387.44-clickbank-check.jpg">

          "Action is the real measure of intelligence." - Napoleon Hill
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6351651].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author hodari
        He mean don't post links to your "money" site on public forums. It's one thing to link to your blog or generic website. If I had a site bringing in 1,5,or 10 grand a month bet your bottom dollar it will not appear as a link in the wf. At least not by me.

        There are some marketers who have sites bringing in goobs of money. But you never really hear about those sites. They never publicly post them. The only time I've ever seen them or hear about them was only after buying their product. Or listen to a audio that they record. They know everyone will not listen all the way through !

        But to the outside world all you see is their generic blog or brand site. The goat is right. However you are welcome to continue to post your sites to guys who have the software ready to copy, clone and outrank yours.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6351646].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Kay King
    Revealing your niches on a public forum is not a great idea.

    That said, if your posts and articles are copied you can issue a DMCA - you can also provide the links to the help desk to alert mods to what this person is doing.

    As I understand it - your posts here are copyrighted and only you or the forum owner (in some cases) has a right to use them without permission.

    I've also noticed this happening as some members seem to get all of their content from this forum. Funny thing is, this forum outranks their little sites in google

    kay
    Signature
    Saving one dog will not change the world - but the world changes forever for that one dog.
    ***
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6351588].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Jon Patrick
    If the person is active on the Warrior Forum, the first thing I would do is contact the admins and explain what is happening. And if this person won't resolve the issue immediately, I would contact their hosting company and file a DMCA complaint. You also have the option of getting an attorney involved.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6351589].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author sloanjim
    oh.....your surprised?

    Sadly a % are outright thieves/scamemrs everywhere.

    See my sig? Know why not? Now you do. Been there been ripped off.
    Signature

    15 Minute Forex Bar Trading System Free at
    http://www.fxscalpingmethod.com

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6351596].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author hodari
    The one true way to prevent that is never showing your sites on a public forum. Or you could show a mock up site that does not give a clue to your true site. Also if you find one person here you can pm them and let them see your site. At least then you would know the source if it got out.

    There is a reason marketers don't show their money sites here. And copywriters don't show you all their copy. Especially the ones that have made money. The internet marketing world is full of those who copy word for word vs putting their own spin on something.

    The game is to be sold and not told. I usually see marketers handy work only "after" purchasing their materials. At least by then if their work is copied and pasted they would have been payed for it !
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6351599].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Prashant_W
    Karma is a b to the i.t.c.h so don't worry amigo.

    But yeah, contact the douche's host and slam him down for all it's worth!

    And then, you can scream along to Cooper's "Vengeance Is Mine".
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6351732].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author tooAlive
      Originally Posted by Prashant_W View Post

      Karma is a b to the i.t.c.h so don't worry amigo.

      But yeah, contact the douche's host and slam him down for all it's worth!

      And then, you can scream along to Cooper's "Vengeance Is Mine".
      Hehe, thanks for the tip, although it won't be necessary.

      Our fellow Warrior was very cooperative, and took down all my content.

      Thanks to everyone for their feedback, there's a lot of great advice on here.
      Signature
      <img src="$2,387.44-clickbank-check.jpg">

      "Action is the real measure of intelligence." - Napoleon Hill
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6351884].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author magiclouie
        Originally Posted by tooAlive View Post

        Hehe, thanks for the tip, although it won't be necessary.

        Our fellow Warrior was very cooperative, and took down all my content.

        Thanks to everyone for their feedback, there's a lot of great advice on here.
        My assumption is that, the other fellow is not relying on SEO for his traffic. Hence, he is not afraid of duplicate contents. I could be wrong but just my thoughts.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6351957].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Trevor M
          Originally Posted by magiclouie View Post

          My assumption is that, the other fellow is not relying on SEO for his traffic. Hence, he is not afraid of duplicate contents. I could be wrong but just my thoughts.
          Anyone who's stealing content and then linking to the stolen content in their signature probably has no idea how they're planning on getting traffic.

          More than likely, they have no idea how duplicate content will affect their SEO.

          Content stealing will always be a problem online. Just be glad you happened to find out and happily removed the content

          - Trevor
          Signature

          ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6352018].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Aswad
            Originally Posted by Trevor M View Post

            Anyone who's stealing content and then linking to the stolen content in their signature probably has no idea how they're planning on getting traffic.

            More than likely, they have no idea how duplicate content will affect their SEO.

            Content stealing will always be a problem online. Just be glad you happened to find out and happily removed the content

            - Trevor
            Agree.. whether they stole it or not, The best way they can think on how to use the content is to paste in his own blog. Probably they didn't know much about marketing and their true intention is to add more content to their autoblog (I assume).
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6352076].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author magiclouie
            Originally Posted by Trevor M View Post

            Anyone who's stealing content and then linking to the stolen content in their signature probably has no idea how they're planning on getting traffic.

            More than likely, they have no idea how duplicate content will affect their SEO.

            Content stealing will always be a problem online. Just be glad you happened to find out and happily removed the content

            - Trevor
            You are SO right! You hit the nail on the head, Trevor! Couldn't agree with you more!
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6352179].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Sillysoft
    Yeah I agree, dont post your money sites on forums. Heck I hate doing it when I sell a site on flippa. Before I sold my site on flippa only the .com of the domain was registered, mine. Within 24 hours of posting my site on flippa for sale every other extension was registered and one site even copied my site.
    Signature
    No more...
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6351948].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Ettienne
    Not posting a link in your signature will stop it? I think not. There are tons of scraping tools and unfortunately there's not too much you can do to protect your content. Even the best robots.txt file can't block all scrapers. Google aren't idiots though, so don't worry too much.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6352068].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Kal Sallam
    Report him right away. Such a low life person who does something like this.
    The internet is full of those low lifers so yes not a wise idea to share your sites,
    For next time Offcourse.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6352082].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Josh Anderson
    Do you know how to send a DMCA take down notice?

    Here is a pretty good article on how to do it:

    http://scottwyden.com/how-to-write-a...a-dmca-letter/

    Send one to them and all their upstream providers.

    Issue resolved.
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6352091].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author JamesCx
    As the guy above stated; no matter what you do to try and protect your content, other people will constantly scrape it and put it on their own blog/site with no backlink to the original source - sadly, it's becoming 'common' practice.

    Saying that, one time I had distributed a press release regarding a wedding within the business and 2 days later got contacted by a PR distribution company asking me if I wanted to buy an article they'd wrote specifically for me - you guessed it, my own press release.

    Trolled them for a bit, asked them how they knew about specific details in the release and in the end I got a full apology and free distribution for a month! (They blamed it on an intern).
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6352107].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Sillysoft
      Originally Posted by JamesCx View Post

      As the guy above stated; no matter what you do to try and protect your content, other people will constantly scrape it and put it on their own blog/site with no backlink to the original source - sadly, it's becoming 'common' practice.

      Saying that, one time I had distributed a press release regarding a wedding within the business and 2 days later got contacted by a PR distribution company asking me if I wanted to buy an article they'd wrote specifically for me - you guessed it, my own press release.

      Trolled them for a bit, asked them how they knew about specific details in the release and in the end I got a full apology and free distribution for a month! (They blamed it on an intern).
      Yeah but putting it in a sig on a forum is painting a bigger target on your site. Especially if you were posting to promote it or talk about it ranking high for certain keywords.
      Signature
      No more...
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6352111].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Onora Oz
    It's the publisher's nightmare, and I'm afraid it won't stop.

    I use Copyscape Plagiarism Checker - Duplicate Content Detection Software to monitor the internet. If I find stolen copies of my work, I send a DMCA take down notice to the site's owner. I also report their activity to their hosting and search engines (yes, Google, Bing and Yahoo). I don't know if it's a must but I always send physical papers to the hosting with proper signatures, not only an email.

    Most of the times, I don't care if my content is taken down from their site, I still issue a DMCA notice to their hosting. Why? Because they are still holding other people's content. Anyways, you get the idea

    Here's a useful link: DMCA Protection & Takedown Services
    They have great tools if you have the budget.

    One more thing... Pinterest scrapers are pretty popular nowadays. I don't know how they work technically but I'd block them on my site.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6352232].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author sbucciarel
    Banned
    You can get it taken down from the host. Instructions and sample DMCA are here

    What You Can Do About “Paypal Dispute Ripoff Artists” | Domaining Diva

    That's really crappy. A lot of people ask for advice about their sites and to see another WF member rip you off like that is sad.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6352268].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Kay King
      I'm glad it was removed. I've found there is an appalling lack of knowledge about "forum posts" and how they can be used.

      Many otherwise smart people seem to feel anything posted on a forum is content that can be used as they want - and that's not the case.

      It's surprising to me how many members on this forum use or rewrite content from here to fill their blogs. Wouldn't be so obvious if they didn't blog about it at the same time the discussion was occurring on the WF:rolleyes:
      Signature
      Saving one dog will not change the world - but the world changes forever for that one dog.
      ***
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6352312].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author R Hagel
        Originally Posted by Kay King View Post

        Wouldn't be so obvious if they didn't blog about it at the same time the discussion was occurring on the WF:rolleyes:
        Kay King shares black hat tips on the WF: "People, wait a few weeks before you rip off forum content and share it on your blog!"


        :p
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6352341].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Tina Golden
          It doesn't sound like his forum posts were ripped off, but the posts on the blog that he shared here. I know forum posts get ripped off, too, but I don't think that's what this discussion was about.
          Signature
          Discover how to have fabulous, engaging content with
          Fast & Easy Content Creation
          ***Especially if you don't have enough time, money, or just plain HATE writing***
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6352372].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author tooAlive
    Thanks again everyone, you've all given me tons of great info and links to bookmark.

    Hopefully it doesn't happen again, but it if does I'll be more prepared - and hopefully a little nicer when contacting the culprit. :p
    Signature
    <img src="$2,387.44-clickbank-check.jpg">

    "Action is the real measure of intelligence." - Napoleon Hill
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6352336].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author williamk
    Banned
    As the goat says never talk about your adsense or affiliate sites in a private forum. Following a few precautions take you a long way in safeguarding your content. Also dont worry about theives as they will always be there, just come up with more articles.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6355176].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Levintry
    A true shame we should have to worry about stuff like this happening, especially within the community. Some valuable information I learned is to write a fitting, yet complex sentence somewhere in your content you can plug into google to find if people are using your content. I hear a thesaurus is great for such a tactic When it happens to me, I am jumping straight to their host. I feel no need to be nice to someone who has already proven to be a thief. You definitely took the high road in the situation though, bravo.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6355207].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author automaton
    I know that this kind of stuff is going on, it happened to me too, only that in my case is about software. A JV with a member here (who was supposed to promote my app) turned bad when he decided to hold me down while he was doing a clone after my app. He deleted me from Skype, didn't respond to my messages and sold the app to his list.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6355263].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author tooAlive
    Hilarious!

    I decided to check the guy's site again, and behold! My posts are back on there. He took them off the front page, but they're still up.

    Here comes the DMCA.
    Signature
    <img src="$2,387.44-clickbank-check.jpg">

    "Action is the real measure of intelligence." - Napoleon Hill
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6368215].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author David Keith
      Originally Posted by tooAlive View Post

      Hilarious!

      I decided to check the guy's site again, and behold! My posts are back on there. He took them off the front page, but they're still up.

      Here comes the DMCA.
      depending on how aggressive you want to be. You have no obligation to send a dmca at all. You can go straight for the lawsuit. Just screenshot the stuff and submit it to waybackmahcine so they have a record as well.

      dmca is the easy way. but if they stole your content, you don't have to give them that courtesy.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6368253].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author tooAlive
        Originally Posted by David Keith View Post

        depending on how aggressive you want to be. You have no obligation to send a dmca at all. You can go straight for the lawsuit. Just screenshot the stuff and submit it to waybackmahcine so they have a record as well.

        dmca is the easy way. but if they stole your content, you don't have to give them that courtesy.
        Thanks David, I wasn't aware I could be so severe from the get-go. But given that already had this guy's Skype, I thought I'd give him a call first to see what the reason for the delay was.

        Plus, I really didn't want the hassle of taking legal action over 2 articles, at least not now anyways.

        Here's the convo:


        Uploaded with ImageShack.us

        Signature
        <img src="$2,387.44-clickbank-check.jpg">

        "Action is the real measure of intelligence." - Napoleon Hill
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6368379].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author David Keith
    This is theft. If someone were to steal your car, you wouldn't have to send them a letter asking they return it before you went to the police...lol

    The dmca stuff is just a very user friendly way of involving people like domain registers and web hosts in these sorts of disputes. Once you send a dmca notice to his host reporting his theft, they are then in a position to potentially help liable as well for facilitating his behavior.

    the dmca is the easy way to go, and most likely the best option.

    But you are not obligated to send a letter to anyone who steals from you asking they return your stuff or in the case of IP (intellectual property) quit using it for their gain.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6368512].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author tooAlive
      Originally Posted by David Keith View Post

      This is theft. If someone were to steal your car, you wouldn't have to send them a letter asking they return it before you went to the police...lol

      The dmca stuff is just a very user friendly way of involving people like domain registers and web hosts in these sorts of disputes. Once you send a dmca notice to his host reporting his theft, they are then in a position to potentially help liable as well for facilitating his behavior.

      the dmca is the easy way to go, and most likely the best option.

      But you are not obligated to send a letter to anyone who steals from you asking they return your stuff or in the case of IP (intellectual property) quit using it for their gain.
      Thanks David, that really does put things into perspective. If someone tried to steal my car I definitely would not be as polite.

      Guess there's still a lot I need to know about the IM game then.

      I do have a question though - Could I pursue legal action against the content thief if they live in a different country, say - Bangladesh?
      Signature
      <img src="$2,387.44-clickbank-check.jpg">

      "Action is the real measure of intelligence." - Napoleon Hill
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6368560].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author David Keith
        Originally Posted by tooAlive View Post


        I do have a question though - Could I pursue legal action against the content thief if they live in a different country, say - Bangladesh?
        in theory yes. although that does get a ton more complicated. Which is a primary reason the dmca stuff is so widely used. Most people are not "professional" thieves and have some portion of their business in the western world where laws are more adhered to.


        thus if they are in some 3rd world country but they host with hostgator, HG would be respond to the dmca notice.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6368652].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Prideoflion
    I'm really sorry to hear that. It's an unfortunate fact of doing business online that there will be people who don't even have the forethought or originality to rewrite your work. I'd honestly followed the previous advice of submitting a complaint and talking to the admin's on this site, but honesty you might have to call this one even.

    Those kinds of people never prosper and I think the best way for you to deal with this problem is to out work them. it's a tough path to take, but it's the only one that will make you prosper long-term.

    If you want to present your work for public review I think you should do it on a piece by piece basis with trusted people that you cultivate from that relationships that you establish on this forum.

    Once again I'm really sorry this happened to you man and I hope that they get what they deserve in the very end.

    Good luck my friend!

    Originally Posted by tooAlive View Post

    So, I posted my brand new site on here a few days ago hoping to get some constructive criticism.

    I got a little more than that.

    After routinely checking out another warriors' website from his sig, I find ALL my own website posts, word for word, and same article titles. Really?

    I'm not even going to post who it is, and what the link is because I don't think that person deserves another backlink - at least not from me. Needless to say, I've already contacted this member and asked for all my content to be removed.

    Anyways, lets give this post some value.

    What are the steps one should take if someone is found stealing your web content, and what are some ways it can be prevented?



    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6368590].message }}

Trending Topics