I Committed A Terrible Sin Today...Not What You Think

38 replies
Today, I got one of those terrible Aweber unsubscribe emails. You know the
ones I'm talking about. This lead unsubscribed from...

Well, I read the reason at the bottom and low and behold it read as follows:

"2 emails in one day"

Well, there you have it. I committed the unforgivable sin. I sent 2 emails in
one day and this person decided that it was too much.

Now, a lot of folks will say that they probably wouldn't have bought anything
anyway...but...

This was from one of my buyers lists.

So you see, you CAN piss off your buyers too.

It didn't matter that the 2 emails were totally unrelated and could have in
no way been combined into one email without killing the effectiveness of
both offers. In this person's eyes, this was excessive and justified opting
out...even though he likes my products and my info.

Now, there are several things related to this event that I'd like to discuss
because I think they're important to anybody who is building a list.

First thing, as I said, it IS possible to piss off a buyer. Don't think just
because somebody has bought something from you that it's not possible
for you to send an email that is going to bug them and cause them to
unsubscribe. No customer is THAT loyal. You must continuously earn their
trust and their business.

Secondly, you have to balance the offers you send against the chances
that you're going to drive people from your list. This can only be done
through constant observing and testing. Don't think for one moment that
I'm not going to look at today's unsubscribe rate to see if it is higher than
normal. If it is, then I have to reevaluate if it's worth sending 2 emails in
one day. And that can only be determined by the number of sales made
from those mailings in comparison to days where you only sent 1 email.

Again, much testing and observing is needed here. Sometimes the figures
will be so insignificantly different that it won't matter which tactic you use.
In other cases, you might see huge differences. If the extra income
justifies the additional opt outs (assuming there are additional opt outs)
then you may consider sending 2 emails (or more) in a day again.

Third, and this is my personal favorite, you have to have the courage of
your convictions...no matter what the stats say. Now I know there will
be those who don't agree with this because, let's face it, if you're doing
something and losing money because of it, it's stupid to continue doing
it. That's my second definition of insanity...doing something you know is
not helping your business but doing it anyway.

However, sometimes your convictions may be something that you
personally feel very strongly about.

For example...salescopy.

You may feel that certain kinds of wording in salescopy is beyond what
you feel comfortable with. You know leaving certain things out will
decrease conversions but you just don't feel comfortable using those
strategies. You need to decide if your convictions are more important than
your bottom line.

And only YOU can do that.

Same thing with managing your list. You may feel that emailing your list
more than once a week is excessive. If you feel that strong about it, then
don't email more than once a week. And don't confuse how often you
email with how much money you make. The two things don't always go
hand in hand.

What do YOU think?

Are your convictions your driving force or is the bottom line the driving
force...within reason of course (i.e. not doing anything illegal or unethical)

It's something to think about it anyway.

In the meantime, I'm going to see how many more people I pissed off
because I sent 2 emails today.
#committed #sin #terrible #todaynot
  • Profile picture of the author Norma Holt
    Originally Posted by StevenWagenheim

    Well, there you have it. I committed the unforgivable sin. I sent 2 emails in
    one day and this person decided that it was too much.
    I am disconnecting from people who bombard me with emails because it just fills my box and takes me ages to clear it each morning. I think an email every 4 days at the most is about all I want to tolerate.

    This is a timely reminder of how people are getting overloaded with stuff they frankly can't deal with. Thanks for sharing Steven.

    Norma
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[567083].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Dan C. Rinnert
      I was going to threaten to unsubscribe because I only received one eMail! Why were you leaving me out of the loop? What am I missing out on?

      Then I scrolled through my mailbox again and saw that you had sent two.

      I didn't even notice. I only remembered one.

      There's a lesson in there too. Somewhere. I average over 100 non-spam eMails a day, so who can remember them all?
      Signature

      Dan's content is irregularly read by handfuls of people. Join the elite few by reading his blog: dcrBlogs.com, following him on Twitter: dcrTweets.com or reading his fiction: dcrWrites.com but NOT by Clicking Here!

      Dan also writes content for hire, but you can't afford him anyway.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[567097].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author AfteraDream
        I'd unsubscribe too if I got two emails in one day... that's too much.. Send me something once a week and it will be great. If you give me great content in those, I'll be actually waiting to get your letter.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[567106].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Derek Pankaew
    Hey Steven,

    Don't you think you could be over reacting a little bit? I've worked with companies that get 20+ unsubscribes a day even when they're mailing a couple times a week. It's just part of the territory; people unsubscribe.

    Best wishes,

    - Derek
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[567108].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Steven Wagenheim
      Originally Posted by Derek Pankaew View Post

      Hey Steven,

      Don't you think you could be over reacting a little bit? I've worked with companies that get 20+ unsubscribes a day even when they're mailing a couple times a week. It's just part of the territory; people unsubscribe.

      Best wishes,

      - Derek
      Please point out in my post where I overeacted.

      Did I even say I was upset about it?
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[567190].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Clark
        Originally Posted by Steven Wagenheim View Post

        Please point out in my post where I overeacted.

        Did I even say I was upset about it?
        Maybe the thread title could be misconstrued as an over reaction.

        I saw it as sarcasm in light of your customer's reaction to unsub due to receiving two promotional mailings in the same day.

        In regards to the unsub, have you experienced more since you posted?
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[567224].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Steven Wagenheim
          Originally Posted by Clark View Post

          Maybe the thread title could be misconstrued as an over reaction.

          I saw it as sarcasm in light of your customer's reaction to unsub due to receiving two promotional mailings in the same day.

          In regards to the unsub, have you experienced more since you posted?
          The thread title was definitely extreme sarcasm. But as it was pointed out
          here, only a few days ago, you have to be careful with humor...some people
          just don't get it.

          I haven't checked my stats yet. I'll do it tomorrow. Right now, it's not
          at the top of my priority list.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[567230].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Paul Myers
      Steven,

      Here. The past year's worth of complaint unsubs for TalkBiz News. One per line.

      spam

      too many emails promising things that they don't give

      don't do online news letters. . . .

      too much hype for me Thanks

      the format is really bad - the info in it are not helping me in any matter - Unfortunately -

      Too many sales pitches.

      too much information. make a simpler course. thanks

      now-it-all-prick

      Too much rambling, too much frequency

      Getting too many emails from you.

      Too much clutter and not enough solid info

      too much spam

      Typical US bullshit about selling, the only things being sold are those e-books:-( Get a real life, profit is not everything man!

      to many e-mails

      Too many mails

      too basic, not relevant enough

      Emails offer little information, but lots of fluff. I would finish an email and wonder, "What did I just learn?" and almost 100% of the time, it was nothing. It's just trying to sell me on how to sell people. However, the email proves that this guy is just trying to sucker people in to buying his product, and instead of offering a sample, he throws out unreliable data " He's still a stay-at-home dad, but, today he runs a 7-figure a year business". Why not provide us with his name and business so we can verify that he exists? All that would do is raise you credibility. Like me saying: I know a guy who makes 10-figures an hour with my sweet system! It is vague enough to sucker some people in, but not everyone. Provide concrete examples.

      it's not readably.. way to much stuff to buy and no information for free..

      I was waiting for the second lesson - and You try to sell me some BS-packet. Too much - too soon... By the way - the first lesson was very good. Goodbay :-)

      Didn't expect the newsletter to advertise/promote products. Products aren't something I'm looking for.

      Too often. Too much hard sell.

      Why do I want to receive a newsletter that only wants me to buy, I don't like flyers on my door step either....

      too many words and not enough information and too many things he's trying to sell

      too often posts

      It was getting a bit annoying with less stuff and more click here click that for free offer and ebooks that require payment. Thanks and good luck.

      Your product pumps have now overtaken the quality of what was a fine newsletter. Just another "let me reach in your pocket" blah, blah, blah. One tip... two "gotta have this". Boring.

      I had no idea that I would get so much email from you. Yikes!

      Format. I have to read through too much to get to the points I needed.

      Useless Chatter, reminds me of a Political Science Instructor I had at Uof O

      too many emails full of bullshit....one out of 10 is useful. The rest are a waste of my time.
      I got a few as feedback, also, but they're mostly the same tone. (Probably a bit more literate, overall, but the same tone.)

      So what? They're giving me their opinions. Just like the people who compliment the thing are giving me opinions. Everyone has opinions, and they're free to express them and act on them.

      For every one of those people, those opinions are Truth.

      If you're going to make decisions based on feedback, look at the trends, not isolated incidents. Read every one of those unsubs, and all the feedback you get. If you're measuring your impact, that's important.

      But if you're basing the decisions on money, turn it into numbers. That takes the personal feelings out of it. That way, the vicious language of some malcontent isn't having an undue influence on your thinking. Figure the percentages of click-throughs, sales, and unsubscribes for the entire list.

      Whatever you do, don't believe your own press, good or bad.


      Paul
      Signature
      .
      Stop by Paul's Pub - my little hangout on Facebook.

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[567281].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Tom B
        Banned
        Originally Posted by Paul Myers View Post

        Steven,



        Whatever you do, don't believe your own press, good or bad.


        Paul
        Paul, I called you a now-it-all-prick out of admiration.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[567778].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Paul Myers
      Tina,

      I don't usually even try to interpret the unsubscribe comments. For the person saying it, it's the truth. That's all that matters. For some people, a long and detailed piece is "boring bullshit." For others, it's useful content. People learn differently, have different expectations, and unique demands.

      I've had people suggesting for years that I need to shorten the articles, with varying degrees of civility. My response has been to try and write more effectively, and leave them to decide if they need the info.

      I also tend to write long sign-up pages, so people start off expecting long content.

      The one thing that I find hysterically funny is the number of people who complain publicly because they don't get enough FREE!!!! information from the lists they sign up for, and then gripe privately because the stuff they get is "too long."

      I gave my subscribers a free book for Christmas. 112 pages of some of the best stuff I've ever written on the business. Pretty concentrated information. A few people complained, suggesting it should have been packed into 20 pages or less.

      Yeah. Right.

      I looked at the comments from people with demonstrated clue and serious attitudes, and adjusted things a little bit based on those.

      Never take advice from people who want you to think for them, or who just prefer that the thinking part of business "go away." And don't try to assign motives or character to something as short as most of those comments. There isn't enough context.

      Shaun,

      You hit the nail right on the head. Expectations are everything in this business.

      Matt,

      It's mildly uncommon for me to send 2 emails in one day. I did it 7 times last year, and two of those were in response to a flood of comments on the first email of the day. (The one with the subject line "What the HELL do you want?" drew a lot of that...

      Those surprised folks enough to draw comment, because I can occasionally go for weeks without sending anything.

      Like most of us, I'm on some lists that will send emails 5 or more days a week, and often send two a day twice a week. Some people want that steady flow of information. I prefer it in big gulps that make me think, and then enough time in between to do something with it.

      Personal preference. It's what makes markets.


      Paul
      Signature
      .
      Stop by Paul's Pub - my little hangout on Facebook.

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[567545].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Matt Bard
        Originally Posted by Paul Myers View Post

        uncommon for me to send 2 emails in one day.
        Yes Paul I should have made that clear so that folks would not get the wrong impression. Goes to my point too. That because of the relationships already established, ( here at the forum and knowing your email patterns ) that I would not be upset at getting a change up from you once in a while.

        Matt
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[567598].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Brad Gosse
    The key here is like Derek says. Don't take it personally. We are so connected to our businesses that we take it hard when people don't like us. Move on

    McDonalds and Walmart are some of the most successful companies in the world and both have hoards of people who actually form groups urging people to boycott them. The more people you are exposed to the more you will piss off. Focus on the ones who see your value and deliver.
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[567161].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author grumpyb
    Its a difficult thing to decide
    I get about 1 email in 25 that I am actually interested in so I delete most at a glance
    My mailwasher works overtime these days as every thing you do generates emails.
    Buy a bit of soft ware and you get boimbarderd with information which almost suggests that what you bought is rubbish and will only work if you buy an upgrade now.
    We only send our customers an email around every 2 weeks This is done on the do unto others as you would have then do unto you theory

    I have not started unsubscibing yet as I have not had time to decide who to unsubscribe BUT if i am on your list and you send me more than 1 a week then you can expect an un subscribe sometime soon
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[567229].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Steven Wagenheim
      Originally Posted by grumpyb View Post


      I have not started unsubscibing yet as I have not had time to decide who to unsubscribe BUT if i am on your list and you send me more than 1 a week then you can expect an un subscribe sometime soon
      That's very interesting. And the reason I say that is because I have one
      newsletter, actually 2, that send out purely content based emails every
      3 or 4 days. So in spite of the fact that these are not promotional and
      just content intended to help you with your business, you would
      unsubscribe simply because I emailed more than once a week?

      As Mr. Spock would say...fascinating.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[567240].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Alan Petersen
        This is a great discussion. I'm careful about this. I try to wait at least four days between emails. If a good deal pops up I'll make it clear why I'm sending the email out so soon to the last one. I personally stay away from sending two emails in one day no matter what.

        As to what I would do as a subscriber, if I know the person and it's not the norm to send multiples in a day I probably wouldn't unsubscribe if the info was good. If it's a new list I'm on and they start sending 1-2 emails every day then I would bolt.
        Signature
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[567291].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Shaun OReilly
        OK - I'll admit it - I was the guy who unsubscribed.

        Let me start off by saying I like to read most of Steven
        Wagenheim's posts on this forum and love how he brings
        personality to his writing.

        Here's exactly what went through my mind:

        First e-mail received: a pitch. No biggie - we are marketers
        after all. Let it slide.

        Second e-mail received (< 3 hours later): a review
        leading to a pitch.

        Here's why I unsubscribed:

        2 e-mails in one day + ...

        I literally thought - I haven't heard from this guy in ages
        and now two pitches in one day - cheerio. Wags or no
        Wags.

        At the time I thought - two pitches in one day from someone
        I hardly hear from is not on (for me). I appreciate that other
        people feel differently.

        More to the point, the last time I received an e-mail from
        Steven Wagenheim, before these two was February 19th
        - 11 days ago. And that was another pitch.

        I just did a search of my inbox to check.

        If I was managing that list, I'd send out the top priority e-mail
        today and then send out the other one on another day. If it's
        usually over a week between e-mails - then send the other
        one in a few days.

        And I think enough of Steven to actually give him feedback
        via AWeber.

        By the way, I'm on some lists where they do e-mail me every
        day - e.g. Clayton Makepeace. However, that is his pattern
        and I've grown to expect it. In fact, I think he's even e-mailed
        me more than once a day on some occassions - but that's not
        far away from his normal behavior. And his e-mails do contain
        a lot of great content - not pure pitches.

        The way I approach my lists is to send them useful content
        in the majority of my weekly e-mails to them. Then I'll have
        the odd pure sales e-mail (e.g. one per month). But that's
        my way and I'm pretty predictable.

        My takeaway from this is to have some form of predictability
        in the frequency of your broadcasts otherwise you increase
        the chances of getting the WTF reaction.

        And Steven - I still love your posts and hope that this feedback
        is useful for you and helps you understand my own reasoning
        for unsubscribing. I respect you enough to give you detailed
        feedback.

        Dedicated to your success,

        *Shaun O'Reilly
        Signature

        .

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[567339].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Mangozoom
    Unsubscribing is a fact of list marketing life ...but I do appreciate you sharing your thoughts and wisdom!

    On one of my facebook lists I got a real nutter objecting to simple message and then going on about it for days even though I graciously apologised for any offence ... altho I did not do anything to apologise for

    I think the bigger your lists grow this type of stuff will happen

    John
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[567231].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author P1R4T3
    Makes perfect sense - I've opted in a few internet marketer newsletters and it really ticks me off when I don't have time to read the emails and it just keeps packing up. What really ticks me off is what you've just experienced - 2 posts in one day.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[567284].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Matt Bard
    Again, it's all about your relationship.

    Steve, I got both of your emails today and I didn't get bothered at all because of the tone and maybe I already have an idea of how you communicate from being a member here.

    I've gotten more than one email in a couple of days from Paul Myers too but it does not bother me because it seems more like a conversational tone and again from knowing a little about him from these years at the forum allows me insight into some of his nuances in his use of language that I would not get with someone that I did not know.

    Just like the "real" world, we all have different levels of relationships and I would not expect my neighbor down the street to trust my recommendations as much as my brother.

    I can call my brother up everyday and ask him if he bought that television I suggested but if I try that with my neighbor I would be accused of harassment.

    Not that I expect to only "sell" to my brother but if I wanted my neighbors to act on my suggestions then I should expect to spend more time visiting with them first.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[567328].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author ExRat
      Hi Steven,

      So you see, you CAN piss off your buyers too.
      Don't think just because somebody has bought something from you that it's not possible for you to send an email that is going to bug them and cause them to unsubscribe. No customer is THAT loyal.
      From a buyers/subscriber's point of view, if I have made a purchase then I will be even more disappointed with the seller (and likely to unsubscribe) if they annoy me with any of their follow up emails, than if I had not bought from them.

      I think purchasing decisions might be less to do with loyalty and more to do with WIIFM from the customer's point of view, and I think you could benefit from looking at the first quote from the opposite angle - you are more likely to piss off a buyer than a prospect in relation to your follow ups - but obviously, I haven't polled your list and this is just my opinion

      Hi Kay,
      The point you should look at is not losing one subscriber but whether sending two promotions in one day was successful from a sales standpoint.
      I see where you're coming from, but I agree and disagree. I think he's right to be considering that one lost subscriber - to a point.

      I think it's a balance. If someone ONLY focusses on the sales and results, then that one subscriber could turn into many. As I said I think it's a balance between maximising conversions and maximising subscriber satisfaction - too far either way and in my opinion, you are less effective.

      For example, the classic pattern is to follow conversions only, and before you know it the original concept has disappeared and the original agreement made with the subscriber about the content is broken and forgotten, as recriprocal JV offers, increasingly regular offers, cut and pastes and obviously higher profit offers are forced upon them.

      In IM subscribers aren't dumb - they recognise bait and switch and they know when they've been sold-out and are getting carpet bombed. Unless the long term plan is churn and burn, this is undesirable.
      Signature


      Roger Davis

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[567498].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author JayXtreme
        Originally Posted by ExRat View Post

        you are more likely to piss off a buyer than a prospect in relation to your follow ups - but obviously, I haven't polled your list and this is just my opinion
        Yes.. but a very wise and well constructed opinion Roger.. one that I happen to agree with

        There comes a time when list segmentation is HIGHLY important... that time is right after the first opt-in (freebie opt-in or sale).. what matters for me is being fully aware of where I am up to with people... list segmentation gets even more important each time someone carries out an action..

        A "buyers" list is not a group of people begging to buy stuff, they are individual people who have expressed a solid enough interest in a topic to pay for it..

        If we don't know where THEY are up to in their cycle of progression (regardless of the niche), how can we tailor our mail to help them accordingly?... doing this enables us to show them something that will lead them to say.. O yes!.. that's WIIFM

        Jus Sayin

        Peace

        Jay

        p.s. The above is just my opinion, born from studying my lists and what has worked for me.. and more importantly, by studying what hasn't worked come to think of it...lol
        Signature

        Bare Murkage.........

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[567530].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author giselle.benites
    Well like you said it's all about testing & seeing what worksor what doesn't work. We all learn from our mistakes. Just don't beat up yourself about it. If your client decides he misses your e-mails he might just suscribe again =)

    Giselle
    Signature
    We are a group of like-minded individuals who help others generate wealth. We are not an MLM company. Explore the website for FREE... Ask me for Details
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[567360].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Steven Wagenheim
      Shaun, thank you so much for the feedback. So, it was the inconsistency
      that was the problem more than anything else.

      Got it.

      And another problem may be that you're on a buyers list that, quite honestly,
      I don't email very often because it's rare I have anything important enough to
      say. I hate sending emails just for the sake of sending them. In other words,
      if you hear from me it's because I have something I feel is important to say.

      Probably what I should have included in my welcome email to that list was
      a note saying just what I said above. Still, you'd probably forget I sent it
      if you didn't hear from me in 2 or 3 weeks anyway.

      Yes, this feedback did help me a lot.

      Oh, and just for the record, that list was only created so that people
      would know how to contact me in order to get their copywriting critique
      so this list is not my ordinary list. That's another problem.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[567384].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Michael Oksa
        Originally Posted by Steven Wagenheim View Post

        Shaun, thank you so much for the feedback. So, it was the inconsistency
        that was the problem more than anything else.

        Got it.

        And another problem may be that you're on a buyers list that, quite honestly,
        I don't email very often because it's rare I have anything important enough to
        say. I hate sending emails just for the sake of sending them. In other words,
        if you hear from me it's because I have something I feel is important to say.

        Probably what I should have included in my welcome email to that list was
        a note saying just what I said above. Still, you'd probably forget I sent it
        if you didn't hear from me in 2 or 3 weeks anyway.

        Yes, this feedback did help me a lot.

        Oh, and just for the record, that list was only created so that people
        would know how to contact me in order to get their copywriting critique
        so this list is not my ordinary list. That's another problem.
        So...

        That explains the 11,676 posts.

        Just kidding, couldn't resist.



        All the best,
        Michael
        Signature

        "Ich bin en fuego!"
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[567506].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Black Hat Cat
        Banned
        Originally Posted by Steven Wagenheim View Post

        Shaun, thank you so much for the feedback. So, it was the inconsistency
        that was the problem more than anything else.

        Got it.

        And another problem may be that you're on a buyers list that, quite honestly,
        I don't email very often because it's rare I have anything important enough to
        say. I hate sending emails just for the sake of sending them. In other words,
        if you hear from me it's because I have something I feel is important to say.

        Probably what I should have included in my welcome email to that list was
        a note saying just what I said above. Still, you'd probably forget I sent it
        if you didn't hear from me in 2 or 3 weeks anyway.

        Yes, this feedback did help me a lot.

        Oh, and just for the record, that list was only created so that people
        would know how to contact me in order to get their copywriting critique
        so this list is not my ordinary list. That's another problem.
        Dude, one guy out of, I'm guessing between 500-1,000...unsubscribed for a stupid reason(and yes, it was a stupid reason). I wouldn't sweat it. Sometimes you're not the problem....they are.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[568701].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Kay King
      It didn't matter that the 2 emails were totally unrelated and could have in no way been combined into one email without killing the effectiveness of both offers.
      You're right - it didn't matter.

      What mattered for this person is two promotions a day. Some marketers are aggressive and send promotional emails daily or twice a day. If you don't usually do that, changing to that model (even if it is a one time thing) may shake up your readers a bit.

      The point you should look at is not losing one subscriber but whether sending two promotions in one day was successful from a sales standpoint.

      kay
      Signature
      Every child needs a pet because every family needs an optimist

      Saving one dog will not save the world....but will forever change the world for one dog.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[567413].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Clark
    Originally Posted by Matthew Maiden View Post

    Not that I expect to only "sell" to my brother but if I wanted my neighbors to act on my suggestions then I should expect to spend more time visiting with them first.
    That's the knockout punch right there!

    I read a cool article today for those who are interested in their customer's behaviour and what you need to do to keep your competitive advantage through nurturing the relationship with your customer.

    The 7 new truths about your customers | poweredByProfit | Canadian Business Online

    This quote may best explain why the person unsubbed, "Consumers are deserting companies in record numbers when they encounter experiences that don't meet their expectations,".
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[567382].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Matt Bard
    Shaun,
    I don't want to insinuate in any way that you are wrong because you're not.

    There is another way of looking at getting these two from Steven and the only reason that I'm going to say this is because he ( Steven ) runs the risk of self promotion if he does it so here it goes.

    One of those emails was a time sensitive offer that gives you an advantage for acting early on his "pitch" and if I trust his recommendations and actually appreciate getting a notice from some of the marketers here that I trust then not only can I overlook a few "extra" emails I also have an opportunity to look into a product at a price reduction which can save me some time and money.

    If I don't know the person and I don't have the time to look at every offer they send then it gets a little annoying but some of us subscribe to some of the folks here as a way to get notified of new products, (that are recommended by someone we trust. So they are worth a look.) and many times can get a good deal or a bonus.

    That, in my way of thinking, is worth the amount of emails from select marketers.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[567387].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Audrey Harvey
    I don't mind two emails in a day, if it's someone who writes something decent in their emails. I get very frequent emails from one marketer, but it's fine, I like the guy and he's usually got something interesting to say. For other emails, my delete key works fine when I choose to use it.

    I've just this morning unsubscribed from three lists, because the three marketers promoted the same product. That in itself isn't a problem, but what irritated me was that the emails were all exactly the same, word for word, link for link. I just don't like the cut-paste-broadcast approach - three emails that are exactly the same from three different marketers is worse than two emails in a day from someone I respect.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[567453].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author fxmmorale
      Originally Posted by Audrey Harvey View Post

      I don't mind two emails in a day, if it's someone who writes something decent in their emails. I get very frequent emails from one marketer, but it's fine, I like the guy and he's usually got something interesting to say. For other emails, my delete key works fine when I choose to use it.

      I've just this morning unsubscribed from three lists, because the three marketers promoted the same product. That in itself isn't a problem, but what irritated me was that the emails were all exactly the same, word for word, link for link. I just don't like the cut-paste-broadcast approach - three emails that are exactly the same from three different marketers is worse than two emails in a day from someone I respect.
      Two emails in one day? How could you?!:-) At least the member had the decency to give useful feedback as to the unsub.

      Audrey I agree with your statement about the blanket broadcast mails. If you're not going to take the time to try and develop some kind of connection with your list, then... bye.

      I was always under the impression that the templates provided by the merchant were to be tailored to your personality. Well I guess that's a good lesson in what not to do.

      Cheers,
      Nando
      Signature
      The Marketing Rinnegato Cometh... stay tuned. This link leads to my Warrior blog...
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[567546].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author tomcam
    I'm a nut for good customer service, but I fire a few customers a year. Customers aren't always right.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[567460].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Steven Fullman
    Paul,

    I have to say...you're a touch of class.

    Steve
    Signature

    Not promoting right now

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[567665].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Steven Fullman
    Folks are a little more forgiving in the niche trenches...but not a lot.

    What I (you, we) need to keep in mind is:

    1. People's inbox's are sacred.

    2. Mostly, they don't care about either you OR your offer.

    3. They signed up for a reason...your message made sense to them at the time.

    Keep #3 in your mind before you write your next blast...

    Steve

    4. But Oh Boy! If you can speak to them personally...you have a friend ( and customer ) for life.
    Signature

    Not promoting right now

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[567693].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author rmx
      Sometimes it's just a matter of timing..

      More than once I've unsubscribed from good ezines or lists because I can't keep up with everything and just need to clean house from all the lists I'm on.

      Just the last few days I've unsubscribed from 3-4 who emailed daily. These emails didn't
      contain good information, mixed with offers, but they contained pitch after pitch.

      No thanks.

      2 emails in 1 day would definately put a list at the top to unsubscribe if it happened often.

      RMX
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[567731].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author 11Levels
    Hi Steven,

    Personnaly, if I give my email to someone that's because I'm interested in what they're offering, whether it's a product or information, and I want to know more. Otherwise I wouldn't give my email in the first place. So unless it's constant selling, I wouldn't unsubscribe because I get more information. Even if one email is information and the other is a salespage, well that's fine too. I mean maybe i think like an internet marketer, but if you're giving away valuable information, you're allowed to promote your products and try to sell them to your mailing list.

    Bottom line, I don't know what the contents of your emails were, but as I said even if one of the email contained useful information and the other was a salesletter, I would not unsubscribe.

    I guess at the end it really depends on the person, on their mood at that specific moment, etc. etc.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[567771].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author TimRobinson
    Heh... one subscriber.... I think you're going to need more stats than that.

    It's like saying one sales page outperforms another after you've had 20 visitors and one makes a sale and the other doesn't...
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[569010].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Paul Myers
      Tim,
      It's like saying one sales page outperforms another after you've had 20 visitors and one makes a sale and the other doesn't...
      Or if one makes 20 sales and the other makes none...


      Paul
      Signature
      .
      Stop by Paul's Pub - my little hangout on Facebook.

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[569470].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Steven Wagenheim
      I thought I'd come back and report my unscubscribe stats for that day's
      2 emails.

      My unsubscribe rate for the day was about a half a percent of my total list.

      That's just slightly higher than normal.

      However, so far the income figure hasn't changed much for the better, so
      I may reconsider ever doing another 2 email day.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[569604].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Sonni
        I also got the 2 emails, but didn't think anything about it. He's a marketer and I knew that when I subscribed. I'm a wanna be marketer so I subscribe to his and a few others in here to help me learn and to buy something that may help me make more money.

        I look at Steve's pitch as a lesson he's good at it, I can learn from him and so can you if you look at it in a different perspective. Unless you think you know it all and are past learning. It would take a lot more than 2 emails in one day to persuade me to cancel.
        Sonni
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[570150].message }}

Trending Topics