iWriter Being Gamed? Beware While Ordering Articles

34 replies
I recently ordered an article from one of the elite writers on iWriter who was featured among the highest rated writers on the main page. However, I was shocked with the quality of the article. Most standard writers on iWriter would write better than this.

So I did a bit of digging and I found that the writier I used was gaming iWriter's system to appear in the list of highest rated writers. This person had created two accounts, both of which were in the top writers' list. These accounts were used to leave over a 150 5 star ratings for each other. Naturally, this got the two accounts on the main page.

While it's great that requestors can reject articles that they don't like, it does waste our time. I wish there was something iWriter could do to prevent this. Something like a 'report' button, maybe.

Anyways, the point of this post is to let you guys know that you should study writers' feedback before sending articles their way.
#articles #beware #gamed #iwriter #ordering
  • Profile picture of the author Elluminati
    Originally Posted by imarketerz View Post

    I wish there was something iWriter could do to prevent this. Something like a 'report' button, maybe.
    Did you attempt to contact iWriter? I see a Contact button at the top of the page. Clicked on it and it looks like you need to register and then submit your complaint/findings...
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6443608].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author imarketerz
    Did you attempt to contact iWriter? I see a Contact button at the top of the page. Clicked on it and it looks like you need to register and then submit your complaint/findings...
    For this issue, I didn't. But that was because I didn't receive any response to any of my prior tickets. I guess they don't have enough resources to deal with the volume of support tickets they might be getting.

    Anyways, the purpose of this post was mainly to encourage people to do their homework on writers before placing a special request with them on iWriter.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6443699].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Mark Andrews
    Banned
    Precisely what has this got to do with anyone on this forum?

    Take your beef up with them directly and do not air your dirty laundry here.

    It might help if preceding making new threads on this forum - you read the rules here first.


    Mark Andrews
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6443798].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author imarketerz
    There are plenty of people on warrior forum who order from iWriter who could benefit from this. All I'm trying to do is inform other people who order articles about an issue that might concern them.

    I don't have any problems with iWriter and I'm not airing any dirty laundry here. If anything, iWriter has been great for me.

    I'm sure the guys at iWriter will address this issue but in the meanwhile, wouldn't it be good for people to be aware of this? Nowhere in this thread have I insinuated that iWriter is at fault for anything.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6443820].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Mark Andrews
      Banned
      Originally Posted by imarketerz View Post

      I don't have any problems with iWriter and I'm not airing any dirty laundry here. If anything, iWriter has been great for me.

      All I'm trying to do is inform other people who order articles about an issue that might concern them. There are plenty of people on warrior forum who order from iWriter who could benefit from this.

      I'm sure the guys at iWriter will address this issue but in the meanwhile, wouldn't it be good for people to be aware of this? Nowhere in this thread have I insinuated that iWriter is at fault for anything.
      No you're wrong. You DO NOT air your dirty laundry here - full stop. Period. Read the rules.

      In a deleted reply you specifically named two other people directly.

      Read rule #1 and apply it. No arguing. Just read the rules.


      Mark Andrews
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6443838].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author david carr
        Originally Posted by Mark Andrews View Post

        No you're wrong. You DO NOT air your dirty laundry here - full stop. Period. Read the rules.
        Really surprised by your reaction!

        I think imarketerz is just trying to warn people to be carefull nothing more.

        Thanks given will be carefull when I test their service soon.

        Regards
        Dave
        Signature

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6445899].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Joseph Robinson
          Banned
          Originally Posted by david carr View Post

          Really surprised by your reaction!
          Eh, I can see where Mark's coming from. I do agree that the reaction was a bit strong, at least for my tastes. No one was personally called out, and the OP didn't even directly blame iWriter, really. Just pointed out a potential flaw in a system that users need to be aware of.

          Of course, there is now at least 100 people who are going over to iWriter now to exploit the trick :rolleyes:, but that's the internet.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6446043].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Kal Sallam
        Originally Posted by Mark Andrews View Post

        No you're wrong. You DO NOT air your dirty laundry here - full stop.

        No arguing. Just read the rules.


        Mark Andrews
        LoL!

        You say no arguing, but yet your the one arguing?

        Wow! Just Wow!
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6493120].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author imarketerz
    I see where I went wrong. Apologies for my mistake.

    I added details just to substantiate what I was stating but I suppose I should have done that differently. Lesson learnt.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6443878].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Marty S
      Originally Posted by Mark Andrews View Post

      Precisely what has this got to do with anyone on this forum?

      Take your beef up with them directly and do not air your dirty laundry here.
      Hmmm.. Would not have known this could be done on iWriter had I not read it here. I do think it's something to be aware of. It's not like websites will instantly respond to such issues either... (ie Google, Youtube, Fiverr, Flippa etc.)

      Originally Posted by imarketerz View Post

      There are plenty of people on warrior forum who order from iWriter who could benefit from this
      Agreed. Thanks.

      Originally Posted by Mark Andrews View Post

      No you're wrong. You DO NOT air your dirty laundry here - full stop. Period. Read the rules.
      I don't know Mark. I rely on the WF for a lot of such "alerts" that will probably never be posted anywhere else. I don't think OP was being overly critical (dirty laundry reference) of iWriter either.

      Just sayin'.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6445722].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author GarrieWilson
    Mark,

    Precisely what has this got to do with anyone on this forum?
    To warn warriors? I would have thought iwriter had some type of checks and verifications to keep this from happening.

    Glad to know they don't.

    No you're wrong. You DO NOT air your dirty laundry here - full stop. Period. Read the rules.
    Since you aren't new, I'm surprised by your comments.

    The rule isnt being broken. Warriors always let others know of negative experiences with companies. Many times, it's how and why it's done to cause rule 1 to come into play.

    Garrie

    EDIT: I see the OP says he edited it. So my comments may not fit for how the thread was originally.
    Signature
    Screw You, NameCheap!
    $1 Off NameSilo Domain Coupons:

    SAVEABUCKDOMAINS & DOLLARDOMAINSAVINGS
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6445845].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author jamesrich1
    This type of stuff can happen anywhere. One person does not represent Iwriter. Plus with Iwriter you can reject the article. Thanks for the update.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6445858].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Rod Cortez
    Originally Posted by imarketerz View Post

    I recently ordered an article from one of the elite writers on iWriter who was featured among the highest rated writers on the main page. However, I was shocked with the quality of the article. Most standard writers on iWriter would write better than this.

    So I did a bit of digging and I found that the writier I used was gaming iWriter's system to appear in the list of highest rated writers. This person had created two accounts, both of which were in the top writers' list. These accounts were used to leave over a 150 5 star ratings for each other. Naturally, this got the two accounts on the main page.

    While it's great that requestors can reject articles that they don't like, it does waste our time. I wish there was something iWriter could do to prevent this. Something like a 'report' button, maybe.

    Anyways, the point of this post is to let you guys know that you should study writers' feedback before sending articles their way.
    Did you report this to the iWriter support team? They should be made aware of this person.

    RoD
    Signature
    "Your personal philosophy is the greatest determining factor in how your life works out."
    - Jim Rohn
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6446187].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Mark Andrews
      Banned
      [DELETED]
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6446585].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author theimdude
        Originally Posted by Mark Andrews View Post

        One or two of you are missing the point. The OP named two guys by name. Individuals who could very well be members here.

        Please read this concerning rule #1:

        "The original motivation for Rule #1 was, I believe, to stop the "XYZ company sucks" and "Joe Schlabotnik is a scamming thief" threads that would pop up all the time here. People were creating these threads just about every day, pursuing vendettas, trying to use the forum to blackmail merchants, cutting down their competition, etc.

        Yes, it is also supposed to apply to WSO issues. Exceptions are made occasionally in cases where it's provable that the WSO is a fraud, but that's far less common than some people make it out to be. Problems with downloads, refunds and the like are not supposed to be handled in the main forum.

        The most common argument against Rule #1 is that "people should be allowed to alert the other members to crappy products and frauds, so they don't get sucked in."

        Doesn't work that way. Far too many of these "warnings" are just expressing gripes
        or grudges.
        Some are trying to blackmail a merchant to get something they don't deserve. Others are outright lies. The majority are people who simply don't understand how something is supposed to work and who are angry because they're confused.

        Except for the outright lies, every one of those people believe they've got a legitimate case. None of them do.

        Without a lot more information than is usually available, there's no way to know which are the few that really are sound, and which are the mistakes or malicious postings. So, they all stay out.

        The same dynamic applies here as with malicious gossip: Once the accusation is made, some people will always wonder. And some will swallow it whole, without any evidence at all, much less actual proof. Then someone will mention the allegations on another board, and they (or someone else in the thread) will link back to the thread here, presenting the allegations as evidence.

        It gets real ugly, real quick. And there's usually nothing there but a smoke machine.

        That just ain't right."

        http://www.warriorforum.com/main-int...moderator.html


        Mark Andrews
        If you felt so strong about this why didn't you just report this thread instead of a preaching to us
        Signature
        Do you want 30 back-links in my PRIVATE BLOG network for ONLY $20 ???
        [LIMITED ACCESS + FREE ARTICLE INCLUDED OR YOUR OWN]

        CLICK HERE NOW
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6446802].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Joseph Robinson
          Banned
          Originally Posted by theimdude View Post

          If you felt so strong about this why didn't you just report this thread instead of a preaching to us
          Knowing Mark, I'm certain that he has. He is not an "all talk" kind of dude. One report does not make a thread disappear though. Trying to incite a back and forth with another member might do the trick though .
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6446824].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author samjaynz
    Instead of ordering from iWriter, why not pay more but receive infinitely superior articles?

    In my day job I've had to deal with iWriter quite a bit. Although I commend the quick turnaround times, you really do get what you pay for. If my boss orders 10 articles from iWriter (even from elite writers) I usually have to spend around 20 minutes bringing each one up to standard.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6446797].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author PR Wizard
      Originally Posted by samjaynz View Post

      Instead of ordering from iWriter, why not pay more but receive infinitely superior articles?

      In my day job I've had to deal with iWriter quite a bit. Although I commend the quick turnaround times, you really do get what you pay for. If my boss orders 10 articles from iWriter (even from elite writers) I usually have to spend around 20 minutes bringing each one up to standard.
      The first freelance job I took was editing/rewriting articles from iWriter
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6453759].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author samjaynz
        Originally Posted by PR Wizard View Post

        The first freelance job I took was editing/rewriting articles from iWriter
        Say no more.

        I imagine we would have a wealth of amusing iWriter edits between us.

        Perhaps a humor-based JV could be on the cards?
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6454729].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author GarrieWilson
    One or two of you are missing the point. The OP named two guys by name. Individuals who could very well be members here.
    No we aren't. The OP edited his post.
    Signature
    Screw You, NameCheap!
    $1 Off NameSilo Domain Coupons:

    SAVEABUCKDOMAINS & DOLLARDOMAINSAVINGS
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6446843].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Mark Andrews
      Banned
      [DELETED]
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6446853].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author baby_butler2002
        Originally Posted by Mark Andrews View Post

        It was deleted actually.
        Get a life
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6454211].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author powerstrike
    A writer may do this by exploiting the Iwriter system to be a high level writer in the system,but their articles will always be low level and they are only wasting theirs and other people time. because if I pay $12 for an article and the article is at a $3 level I will just reject that article.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6446857].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Brad Callen
    Originally Posted by imarketerz View Post

    I recently ordered an article from one of the elite writers on iWriter who was featured among the highest rated writers on the main page. However, I was shocked with the quality of the article. Most standard writers on iWriter would write better than this.

    So I did a bit of digging and I found that the writier I used was gaming iWriter's system to appear in the list of highest rated writers. This person had created two accounts, both of which were in the top writers' list. These accounts were used to leave over a 150 5 star ratings for each other. Naturally, this got the two accounts on the main page.

    While it's great that requestors can reject articles that they don't like, it does waste our time. I wish there was something iWriter could do to prevent this. Something like a 'report' button, maybe.

    Anyways, the point of this post is to let you guys know that you should study writers' feedback before sending articles their way.
    Please submit a support ticket and the writer will be banned immediately with no warning. Every once in a great while this happens and it doesn't end well for the writer. Thanks.
    Support Desk

    Brad
    Signature
    iWriter.com - The Original Content Creation Service. Now with over 350,000 active writers. Let us write or re-write your articles, eBooks, blog posts and more... for as little as $1.25! 3,711,814 articles written to date!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6447617].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author samjaynz
      Good to see you are taking that kind of thing seriously It's amazing the lengths people will go to in order to game a system.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6447968].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author imarketerz
      Originally Posted by Brad Callen View Post

      Please submit a support ticket and the writer will be banned immediately with no warning. Every once in a great while this happens and it doesn't end well for the writer. Thanks.

      Brad
      I have just submitted a support ticket (XPM-757769) for this issue with the details.

      Thanks
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6448285].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author copywrite1988
    iWriter is actually one of my greatest source of income. However, there are a lot of clients who also take advantage. One client declined my article, said that it had poor grammar, rated me with 1 star and then eventually posted it on his blog. I knew he did because I tried to submit the article to another client and it did not pass copyscape
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6492896].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Stephen Root
      Originally Posted by copywrite1988 View Post

      iWriter is actually one of my greatest source of income. However, there are a lot of clients who also take advantage. One client declined my article, said that it had poor grammar, rated me with 1 star and then eventually posted it on his blog. I knew he did because I tried to submit the article to another client and it did not pass copyscape
      So let me get this straight: You received a decline & 1 star because bad grammar and then you tried to pass the article on to another client? Seriously?
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6492956].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Elluminati
        Originally Posted by Stephen Root View Post

        So let me get this straight: You received a decline & 1 star because bad grammar and then you tried to pass the article on to another client? Seriously?
        With modification and Grammarly, PaperRater, etc., why not? It still belongs to the writer since it obviously wasn't good enough for the client. I bet I wouldn't write 1,000 words, receive a 1-star rejection and not repurpose the content...

        Peanut payers really shouldn't be so picky and degrading.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6493492].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Joseph Robinson
          Banned
          Originally Posted by Elluminati View Post

          Peanut payers really shouldn't be so picky and degrading.
          It's the writers own fault for dropping the prices of the IM writing market to such ludicrous levels. I tell them to get out all the time, but have little room to hear them lament when things get crappy.

          They reap what they sow after all.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6493620].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author azmanar
            Originally Posted by Joe Robinson View Post

            It's the writers own fault for dropping the prices of the IM writing market to such ludicrous levels. I tell them to get out all the time, but have little room to hear them lament when things get crappy.

            They reap what they sow after all.
            Hi Joe,

            I still can't get it.

            Why would people go for such services when we can easily get writers in WF?

            Is it about the price or the quality or trust factor?
            Signature
            === >>> Tomorrow Should Be Better Than Today

            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6493638].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Elluminati
            Originally Posted by Joe Robinson View Post

            It's the writers own fault for dropping the prices of the IM writing market to such ludicrous levels. I tell them to get out all the time, but have little room to hear them lament when things get crappy.

            They reap what they sow after all.
            Basically anyone on there catching hell is reaping what they've sown. Writers and clients.The system is f-ed up, especially now that you can't see negative remarks of clients. But it is what it is, I guess.
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6493679].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author Joseph Robinson
              Banned
              Originally Posted by Elluminati View Post

              But it is what it is, I guess.
              A service for both sides to avoid? I agree wholeheartedly .

              I didn't know that they removed negative reviews. That must be a party. As I recall, it was about the only way for writers to point out those who gamed the system and rejected next to every article.

              Originally Posted by azmanar View Post

              Hi Joe,

              I still can't get it.

              Why would people go for such services when we can easily get writers in WF?

              Is it about the price or the quality or trust factor?
              It's got next to nothing to do with quality or trust and everything to do with price. That is iWriter's unique selling proposition, it's the first thing they mention on their landing page:
              Get content written for as low as $1.25 an article.
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6493700].message }}
              • Profile picture of the author Elluminati
                Originally Posted by Joe Robinson View Post

                I didn't know that they removed negative reviews. That must be a party. As I recall, it was about the only way for writers to point out those who gamed the system and rejected next to every article.
                I didn't learn this until last week myself. You can still write a retaliation review after you've been rejected, but no one will see it other than the client (I'm guessing, but what's the point of having the option to leave a review?). So, it's looking like the clients have more protection and all the writers can do is hope they catch a client in a good mood after writing an article...
                {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6493749].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Stephen Root
          Originally Posted by Elluminati View Post

          With modification and Grammarly, PaperRater, etc., why not? It still belongs to the writer since it obviously wasn't good enough for the client. I bet I wouldn't write 1,000 words, receive a 1-star rejection and not repurpose the content...

          Peanut payers really shouldn't be so picky and degrading.
          Well if he had said that the grammar was fixed etc. it would have been all ok. Now it sounds like he just sent the article to the next client in the line.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6493722].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author pamon
    I've looked at iWriter and can't decide if its a place where you can make any money. Lots of low $$ articles there. Lots of opportunities but for $1-$2 a pop, can't make any serious cash there.
    Signature

    Freelance Writer & Blogger For Hire. US based. Awesome Rates. Check out http://about.me/davidamodt for samples & more.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6493445].message }}

Trending Topics