Article Marketing or Forum Marketing

13 replies
Hi all Tom here,

Like many i've been looking for ways to get free traffic to my site and two of the most popular are of course forum marketing and article marketing.
I've had moderate success with forum marketing and i do enjoy it which is a plus! I haven't yet dipped into article marketing mainly due to the fact that just the thought of sitting at my desk writting article after article just doesn't appeal to me. Don't get me wrong article marketing could be twice as succesfull it just doesn't tickle my fancy.
So what do you prefer and why? Has anyone found article marketing to be more succesfull than forum marketing?

I'd really like to hear your views
#article #forum #marketing #money #ppc
  • Profile picture of the author hostwindsEvanM
    Everyone has their preference I think and it would also depend on your niche. Guest writing can be very successful and a few articles could be certainly worth while.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6514950].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author mlord10
    Although I've churned out my fair share of articles (well over 1,000) you don't have to do it that way in order to be successful.

    If you write a handful of high-quality articles & network with the proper syndication partners, then a few well written, informative articles in your niche can send a lot of traffic.

    I would research article syndication...lot of good stuff about it on this forum.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6514959].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author mikelukjaniec
    I was interested in your post because I've been forum marketing for a few months and I'm now considering article marketing, because I know it can be incredibly powerful. What's been putting me off is the thought of spending hours researching and writing articles. However, I know that some people can rattle off interesting and unique articles, using a set format, in 10 minutes flat and get them accepted by EzineArticles.com pretty quickly.
    Signature

    Affiliate links are not allowed.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6515075].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Alexa Smith
      Banned
      Originally Posted by tommo25 View Post

      I've had moderate success with forum marketing and i do enjoy it which is a plus!
      It's a huge plus. I often think "what you enjoy doing" plays too small a part in these conversations. Partly because the reality is that most people are going to do better, and work harder and maybe even longer hours, at something they really enjoy than at something they don't.

      Originally Posted by tommo25 View Post

      I haven't yet dipped into article marketing mainly due to the fact that just the thought of sitting at my desk writting article after article just doesn't appeal to me.
      In which case (perhaps after checking it out and seeing that that really is the case), you're almost certainly making a good decision to concentrate on forum marketing, I'd think?

      Originally Posted by tommo25 View Post

      So what do you prefer and why? Has anyone found article marketing to be more succesfull than forum marketing?
      Yes, I've found article marketing to be far more successful for me than forum marketing. No comparison at all. I have done some forum marketing (in various niches, under my various niche-specific pen-names, and obviously in forums relevant to those niches) and not really enjoyed it much. I can't say it's been without benefits for me, but I happen strongly to prefer exactly what you say doesn't suit you. (Between us, we have it covered!).

      The thing I like so much about posting here, apart from all the other/normal/obvious reasons that people enjoy interacting in the Warrior Forum (which include its undoubted educational value to me), is precisely the fact that I'm not in any sense doing any "forum marketing" here: nothing to sell, nothing to promote, and so on. It's probably even one of the reasons I've never offered a WSO or anything of the kind.

      Originally Posted by mikelukjaniec View Post

      I know that some people can rattle off interesting and unique articles, using a set format, in 10 minutes flat
      I don't believe this to be so.

      I know people say they can (and those same people seem to imagine that writing articles very quickly and having a large number of them is a good thing :p ) but the reality is that those are articles for article directory marketing, not for article marketing, and I strongly suspect that most of them are not really making much money at all from those articles.

      I can't write more than one article per day.

      Fortunately, however, that gives me more than enough "article stock" to keep my 8 separate, unrelated niches well supplied with all their content needs.

      The reality of article marketing is that it isn't really about the number of articles at all: it's about how widely you can get them published in front of highly targeted traffic for your niches. But most of the people who are talking about writing their articles in 10 minutes don't quite appreciate that.

      Originally Posted by mikelukjaniec View Post

      and get them accepted by EzineArticles.com pretty quickly.
      I don't doubt that part (because that's trivially easy), but that in itself, as so many people have discovered, produces no income at all. An article directory is merely a stepping stone to re-publication in front of targeted traffic. 1,000 articles that just sit inside EZA but never actually get syndicated don't earn anything realistic for anyone: http://www.warriorforum.com/main-int...ml#post5068872
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6515192].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author tommo25
        Originally Posted by Alexa Smith View Post

        The reality of article marketing is that it isn't really about the number of articles at all: it's about how widely you can get them published in front of highly targeted traffic for your niches.
        Thats a very valid point. Are there niche specific article directories like ezine then? Or am i way off ?
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6515292].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Alexa Smith
          Banned
          Originally Posted by tommo25 View Post

          Are there niche specific article directories
          There are actually a few. Very few. (And they tend actually to be in the niches least suited to article marketing, I think). I can't remember any, now you ask, but there are a few.

          I do put a copy of all my articles in Ezine Articles after I've finished everything else I do with them (and they do sometimes get picked up there and re-published in ezines and/or on niche-specific sites to whose webmasters I haven't offered them, so I really do gain some targeted traffic from doing that, albeit indirectly), but that's really just a "little extra", from the article marketing perspective. The bread and butter income in article marketing comes this way.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6515365].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author John Durham
    If I had a preference I would say forum marketing, because you get pulling power, but you also get to enjoy the social aspect so it doesnt seem as much like work...
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6515383].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author johnben1444
    Well, at this point that article directories have been devalued i wouldn't expect to get any significant traffic, forum is a much more better way to get traffic. Thou this also depends greatly on the forum, the value of your contribution will send eyeballs to your sig and knowing who you are and probably translate to sales if you are offering the right stuff to the right community.

    Here is a good way to get lots of traffic if you don't want to depend on the search engines completely.
    http://www.stevescottsite.com/free-t...trategies-2012

    Thou it's nothing new, they seems to have omitted press release, it one great way to get consistent traffic too.
    Signature
    Grow your social media account, Spotify Streams, YT Views & IG Followers & More
    Software & Mobile APP Developer
    Buy Spotify, Facebook Bot & IG M/S Method
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6515443].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author JohnMcCabe
      I replace the word 'or' with the word 'and'. In other words, I do both.

      When I in rhythm and everything is working, the two are almost symbiotic. Participating in forum communities gives the pulse of the market and almost endless article topics that I know are of interest to people in the market. How do I know they're of interest? People are already talking about them.

      Actually participating is better than just sorting for busy threads and skimming because actually articulating cogent thoughts takes more investment. Especially when you get into a spirited debate on something and have to examine your own statements and those of others.

      Which results in richer, more engaging articles. Articles you can easily link to as support for your points or resources for the community, especially if they are republished on a third party's site.

      If you do this in a handful of niche markets, suddenly things start connecting in ways you don't anticipate.

      The only downside to this kind of immersion is that it's exhausting if you keep at it too long. About two weeks is the best I can do. Which is fine, because the 'downtime' is used to recharge the batteries and deal with the mechanics of business.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6515814].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Randall Magwood
    Do both. They both work. I've gotten many sales from article marketing, without even alot of articles. But i do write alot i have to say. I spend more time writing articles than i do making forum posts.
    Signature

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6515870].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author MikeLogan
    Tom,

    IMHO I'd recommend focusing on creating products that cater to markets that hold many hungry buyers. Get those sales pages converting visitors into sales. Then start recruiting some affiliates.

    Use transparent market places like ClickBank & the WSO forum to see what people are buying. Create yourself a product that fits what the buyers want, fill it with great helpful information, and you'll do just fine
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6516234].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author branko
    For me, forum marketing is always ahead of article marketing.
    It's more direct way to connect with others like you.
    But, I don't underestimate the power of article marketing!

    Best wishes!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6518564].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author matt78
      I prefer forum marketing as you can see what are the problems and questions asked by the members in that forum. That are real goldmine. Another thing is the interaction nature of forum makes it more enjoyable than doing article marketing.
      Signature

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6518893].message }}

Trending Topics