Is it lazy for a WSO not to have a pdf?

19 replies
How many times have you thought about buying a WSO but you
decided not to because there was no pdf available. I understand
Videos are popular and have no objection to them but I think a pdf
Or at LEAST a transcript should be available. I have no time to waste
Sitting through an hour video while the producer slowly painfully explains
offer when I can scan through a written file in minutes.
Not to mention easy of taking notes or reading while traveling etc.
There are some subjects that almost require a video, but for the most part
I think a pdf should be provided.

Trevor
#lazy #pdf #video #wso
  • Profile picture of the author Jimsarmy
    Just my two cents, but I think most wso's or info products in general would benefit from a pdf as well as videos/audios. Not everybody wants to wade through 15 or 20 videos to refer to certain information.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6576933].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author trevstar22
      Originally Posted by Jimsarmy View Post

      Just my two cents, but I think most wso's or info products in general would benefit from a pdf as well as videos/audios. Not everybody wants to wade through 15 or 20 videos to refer to certain information.
      Exactly. One video is bad enough but some WSOs have 10
      Or more. Seriously. Who has time to go through all this?
      Imagine if a school textbook came in video form. It would be
      Like a hundred hours long. That shows the inefficiency of it.

      Trevor
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6577028].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author TimGreen1
    Agree with Jim, all products should come with a PDF to satisfy everyone, it also allows you to easily find what you want a lot easier with the title page.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6577005].message }}
  • To me it depends on the course and how the video is done. I have purchased video courses that were downright painful, because the presenters took so long to convey the information. In that case a pdf sure would've been nice. Other times the videos have been short & concise and I did not miss having a pdf.

    With all that being said, I think people are more likely to buy a WSO if pdf's are also included.
    Signature
    Download my FREE MIND POWER MEDITATION
    Learn to REMOVE NEGATIVE THOUGHTS and replace with POSITIVE THOUGHT PATTERNS.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6577027].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author travlinguy
    I don't know about lazy but it is very short sighted. There are still LOTS of people who won't buy an info product unless it's in some text format.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6577037].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author ShaneBoyd
      I agree with everyone here so far. I'm not much into video. Usually they are so long and painful to watch. I too would much rather just look at the PDF and go right to the content.

      Personally, when I watch those videos I find myself working on something else while the dude is talking. Or I just fast forward to the end so I can hear what's really been pitched, or taught.

      I wouldn't say it's lazy for not offering a WSO. Personally, I think it's easier to write than to create video after video, then edit and tweak and blah, blah, blah.

      It's crazy. Somewhere along the way, somebody said "VIDEO IS WHERE IT'S AT!", and people totally forgot about all the other information mediums.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6577094].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Alexa Smith
      Banned
      Originally Posted by travlinguy View Post

      I don't know about lazy but it is very short sighted. There are still LOTS of people who won't buy an info product unless it's in some text format.
      This ^^^ exactly.

      (I'm one of them).
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6577379].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Arunabh Singh
        Originally Posted by Alexa Smith View Post

        This ^^^ exactly.

        (I'm one of them).
        Me too. I never like a product which only contain videos.

        The most painful thing about video products is that I have to watch everything; even the basic stuff that I know.
        Signature

        Money Making Video Autoblogs For Sale. PM Now

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6578936].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author trevstar22
          Exactly, it is just so much a waste of time as you are forced to sit through the video while everything is explained so slowly, yet you cannot skip ahead because you probably miss something.
          With a file you can read it is much easier to grasp the entire concept'
          although I admit some people seem to learn better from video.
          NOT ME!
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6587750].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author 8485marketing
    video marketing is one of the most effective ways to deliver your content. Ive already read here about how people flick through content in a matter of minutes and thats the problems that newbie marketers have, they scan the information rather than take it in properly which is what i think video methods do more effectively. We all work and learn in different ways so its whatever best suits the purchaser.

    I definitely think that products should be available as text, audio and visual so that people can get the best out of it. Whether its travelling in the car listening to the audio parts, sitting on the train reading the pdf version or sat down on the home computer at night watching the video to it.

    Whichever way the user best takes the information in will hopefully lead to the maximum output. Personally when I work with people I dont want them just scanning the content I put together, I want them to put it to the best use possible in terms of results for themselves.

    Just my two cents =)
    Signature
    If you've been looking for a way to get started with an information marketing business then your search is well and truly over. Here is everything you need to get started online.
    Join My 30 Day Challenge
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6577106].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Leo Wadsworth
    I totally agree. It is a rare video that rates more than "playing in the background while I work", but I can absorb the key info from most PDFs very quickly.

    That being said, including transcripts / PDFs takes a lot more work than just a video -- or requires an investment into a transcription service. If we really want both, then we need to pay for it. (of course most times I'd settle for JUST the pdf )
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6577123].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Michael Oksa
    One of my best-selling products is a series of videos. However, each of the 10 videos is no more than 5 minutes long.

    Many of the things I teach in that course are best shown via video. Writing a straight transcription wouldn't make sense because it would be a lot of "see here" "look at how..." and "this is where you want to click".

    However, the videos move fast, and each one focuses on a single step of the course.

    BUT...

    I also included a quick start type of guide that boils each step down. It's still best to watch the videos first, as the more fully describe the process and give context, but a person could probably make a go of it using nothing but the quick start guide.

    So, it may not always be laziness, it could be a matter of relevance. On the other hand, I have seen some of those 30 minute videos where your mind starts to ache after the first few moments. It was because of those that I made an effort to keep things short and focused.

    All the best,
    Michael
    Signature

    "Ich bin en fuego!"
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6577172].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author trevstar22
      Originally Posted by Michael Oksa View Post

      One of my best-selling products is a series of videos. However, each of the 10 videos is no more than 5 minutes long.

      Many of the things I teach in that course are best shown via video. Writing a straight transcription wouldn't make sense because it would be a lot of "see here" "look at how..." and "this is where you want to click".

      However, the videos move fast, and each one focuses on a single step of the course.

      BUT...

      I also included a quick start type of guide that boils each step down. It's still best to watch the videos first, as the more fully describe the process and give context, but a person could probably make a go of it using nothing but the quick start guide.

      So, it may not always be laziness, it could be a matter of relevance. On the other hand, I have seen some of those 30 minute videos where your mind starts to ache after the first few moments. It was because of those that I made an effort to keep things short and focused.

      All the best,
      Michael
      That is great. Like I said I have no objection to video
      And at least you include a quick start guide. That is extremely
      Helpful if you do not have a lot of time.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6577308].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author sriram rajan
    It's just a different mode, You can quickly scan videos too at greater speed and only go slow on things of value ..

    VLC media player , windows media player all go up tp 3x speed, anything more of course does not make sense as the words are toally not clear...

    End of the day it's your preference as a customer on the mode vs value, if you think it was the just the exact info you need to take your biz to the next level and is avbl only in video will you say no ? of course not .... just chill..have fun ... and make money
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6577175].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author peteJ
    I think it's important to have a pdf for a couple reasons.
    1. Some people just perfer to read over watching, and if you want to appeal to a wider audience its important to include everyones preference.
    2. As mentioned before it can be a lot quicker to skim over the pdf than watch the video.
    3. It adds value. In the eyes of the consumer they have two things to buy at the same price. One is a jsut a video while the other is text anda video. Given they're bot quality products which do you think they'll buy? It might not always be the case, but generally people will buy what comes with more.
    Signature

    Full Service Web Development and Small Business Marketing - Total Web Connections

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6577216].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author fedor50
    Originally Posted by trevstar22 View Post

    How many times have you thought about buying a WSO but you
    decided not to because there was no pdf available. I understand
    Videos are popular and have no objection to them but I think a pdf
    Or at LEAST a transcript should be available. I have no time to waste
    Sitting through an hour video while the producer slowly painfully explains
    offer when I can scan through a written file in minutes.
    Not to mention easy of taking notes or reading while traveling etc.
    There are some subjects that almost require a video, but for the most part
    I think a pdf should be provided.

    Trevor
    I actually have to agree with this post.I'm not a big fan of WSO's in video or audio format. I prefer a simple pdf document that I can simply read through
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6577432].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author trevstar22
      Originally Posted by fedor50 View Post

      I actually have to agree with this post.I'm not a big fan of WSO's in video or audio format. I prefer a simple pdf document that I can simply read through
      Well it looks like there is a new market for enterprising warriors
      Out there. You can offer to create transcripts of WSOs that do
      Not have videos!

      Trevor
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6577689].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author laurencewins
    I don't buy anything without a written version. I dislike watching videos as I like to read things over and over.
    Signature

    Cheers, Laurence. Writer/Editor/Proofreader.
    Visit my site for more info

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6577740].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author WillR
    It depends how the videos have been created. Yes, I agree that sitting through an hour long video is a real pain in the backside. If they allow you to download the video then this makes it a little less painful because you can easily skip through sections that do not interest you.

    However there are times when videos are needed. I create a lot of 'how-to' type videos and I very rarely provide a PDF version of those videos... and I've never had a complaint out of thousands of people.

    The trick is to cut your videos up in to much shorter videos. So rather than having a 20 minute video walking someone through a process you would instead have 3-4 shorter videos of 4-5 minutes long. This way people can easily find the information they are looking for and skip over any information that does not interest them.

    I also don't like the garbage a lot of people put at the beginning of their videos just to fatten up things and make the video longer. They sit there and ramble on about their whole life story and to be honest, I don't care. Just give me the information I paid for.

    In this day and age if you are saying you will never buy a product that doesn't offer a PDF document then I must say I feel sorry for you. You will end up missing out on some good products if that is your stance. Video is here to stay and more and more people are going to use it. I don't think video is flawed, I think the way in which some people use video is flawed.

    I don't like a crappy long-whinded PDF document anymore than I like a crappy long-whinded tutorial video. It's not the format of delivery that annoys me.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6587830].message }}

Trending Topics