Is it LinkedIn name bound by Copyright?

15 replies
Hi all respected Warrior Forumer,

I just want to ask your opinion and recommendation.

Recently i want to buy a domain name that include 'LinkedIn' word inside that domain name. Example Linkedin______.com. Is it this word are copyright by LinkedIn? My purpose for this domain name is for LinkedIn training/tutorial.

Any alternative for this domain name? Example: Facebook -> Fb.

Appreciated any suggestion and recommendation.

Thank You

Zudie
#bound #copyright #domain name #linkedin
  • Profile picture of the author kindsvater
    Trademark is the issue, and yes it is a trademark. A domain that does not suggest ownership by LinkedIn would work, such as zudies-guide-to-linkedin.com

    .
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6618799].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Chris Grable
      Originally Posted by kindsvater View Post

      Trademark is the issue, and yes it is a trademark. A domain that does not suggest ownership by LinkedIn would work, such as zudies-guide-to-linkedin.com

      .
      WOW!! I learned something today! I thought any use of the trademark should be avoided...
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6621335].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author zudierh
        Originally Posted by Chris Grable View Post

        WOW!! I learned something today! I thought any use of the trademark should be avoided...
        Hi Chris,

        We together learned something today!

        I hope we got something good from this thread.

        Thank you

        Zudie
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6621810].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author davezan
        Originally Posted by Chris Grable View Post

        WOW!! I learned something today! I thought any use of the trademark should be avoided...
        To a point. Just that it's practically easier to avoid trademarks, although it's still
        possible if one knows what s/he's doing or getting into.
        Signature

        David

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6621837].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author zudierh
    Hi kindsvater,

    Thanks for your opinion.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6621212].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Sharpest Pen
      Originally Posted by zudierh View Post

      Hi kindsvater,

      Thanks for your opinion.
      That wasn't an opinion. He's actually a lawyer and knows about these things.
      Signature
      Word by Word, What Your Customers Read Is Who You Become
      Who Are You To Your Customers?
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6621801].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author zudierh
        Originally Posted by Sharpest Pen View Post

        That wasn't an opinion. He's actually a lawyer and knows about these things.
        Hi Sharpest Pen,

        Thank you!

        Anyway, i got clear what to do and what to avoid..

        Thank you again!
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6621824].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Dan Curtis
          This is one of 29 trademarks for LinkedIn as listed in the website for the United States Patent and Trademark Office :


          Word Mark LINKEDIN.COM
          Goods and Services IC 035. US 100 101 102. G & S: Online business networking services. FIRST USE: 20040530. FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 20040530
          Mark Drawing Code (1) TYPED DRAWING
          Trademark Search Facility Classification Code NOTATION-SYMBOLS Notation Symbols such as Non-Latin characters,punctuation and mathematical signs,zodiac signs,prescription marks
          Serial Number 78245960
          Filing Date May 5, 2003
          Current Basis 1A
          Original Filing Basis 1B
          Published for Opposition November 2, 2004
          Registration Number 3303349
          Registration Date October 2, 2007
          Owner (REGISTRANT) LINKEDIN CORP CORPORATION DELAWARE 2029 STIERLIN CT MOUNTAIN VIEW CALIFORNIA 94043
          Assignment Recorded ASSIGNMENT RECORDED
          Attorney of Record Janet L. Cullum
          Type of Mark SERVICE MARK
          Register PRINCIPAL
          Live/Dead Indicator LIVE
          And as far as the comment:

          That wasn't an opinion. He's actually a lawyer and knows about these things.
          An opinion is exactly what that is. A fact is something that can be proven to be true. An opinion is a belief that cannot necessarily be subjected to rigorous proof.

          This is an opinion:

          Originally Posted by kindsvater
          ... A domain that does not suggest ownership by LinkedIn would work, such as zudies-guide-to-linkedin.com
          Signature

          The world is quite ruthless in selecting between the dream and the reality, even where we will not. Between the wish and the thing the world lies waiting. -- Cormac McCarthy

          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6621868].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author zudierh
            Originally Posted by Dan Curtis View Post

            This is one of 29 trademarks for LinkedIn as listed in the website for the United States Patent and Trademark Office :



            And as far as the comment:



            An opinion is exactly what that is. A fact is something that can be proven to be true. An opinion is a belief that cannot necessarily be subjected to rigorous proof.

            This is an opinion:
            Hi Dan,

            I am appreciated what you are sharing here.

            Thank you!
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6621920].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author icoachu
    Beware, ICANN will pull your domain registration and award the domain to the trademark owner. Don't take my word for it, here's the OFFICIAL info from icann: Uniform Domain-Name Dispute-Resolution Policy | ICANN
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6621257].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author zudierh
      Originally Posted by icoachu View Post

      Beware, ICANN will pull your domain registration and award the domain to the trademark owner. Don't take my word for it, here's the OFFICIAL info from icann: Uniform Domain-Name Dispute-Resolution Policy | ICANN

      Hi Icoachu,

      Thank you for your sharing!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6621795].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author FrankMiller
    There are some great answers in this thread!
    Signature

    ...

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6622083].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Dave Espino
      I think it's too big of a risk.

      A trademark holder (such as LinkedIn) could threaten legal action and then you are suddenly up against a 900 lb. Gorilla.

      Your choice is, let the domain go (or transfer it to them) or deal with their highly-paid attorneys, either in a pre-legal-action setting or in actual court.

      Either way, it would be hard for the average IMer to win..

      Trademark holders are required to enforce their trademarks and some will go to relative extremes to show they are active in enforcing their trademarks.

      Early on, I used a domain name that included a trademark within it and it was pretty clear that the domain was not being used by the trademark holder.

      I was contacted by their legal dept. and we eventually settled with them buying the domain for the amount I registered it for. (Roughly $70 a year for two years - this was in 2000 or so, when domains were much pricier and Network Solutions was the only registrar)

      Anyway, I would rather err on the side of caution and not use a trademark anywhere in the name, if possible because whether it happened in the short term or in the long term, the work and time you put into driving traffic, SEO, or branding that domain could be lost at a moment's notice.
      Signature
      I make several $1000s a month (passive income) on Udemy and here's how YOU can, too...

      Get your FREE UDEMY MINI-COURSE here:

      http://daveespino.com/FreeMiniCourse-Sig

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6622351].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author zudierh
        Originally Posted by Dave Espino View Post

        I think it's too big of a risk.

        A trademark holder (such as LinkedIn) could threaten legal action and then you are suddenly up against a 900 lb. Gorilla.

        Your choice is, let the domain go (or transfer it to them) or deal with their highly-paid attorneys, either in a pre-legal-action setting or in actual court.

        Either way, it would be hard for the average IMer to win..

        Trademark holders are required to enforce their trademarks and some will go to relative extremes to show they are active in enforcing their trademarks.

        Early on, I used a domain name that included a trademark within it and it was pretty clear that the domain was not being used by the trademark holder.

        I was contacted by their legal dept. and we eventually settled with them buying the domain for the amount I registered it for. (Roughly $70 a year for two years - this was in 2000 or so, when domains were much pricier and Network Solutions was the only registrar)

        Anyway, I would rather err on the side of caution and not use a trademark anywhere in the name, if possible because whether it happened in the short term or in the long term, the work and time you put into driving traffic, SEO, or branding that domain could be lost at a moment's notice.
        Hi Dave,

        I am totally appreciated on what you are sharing here is based on your personal experience. Thank you so much!

        Now i am notice that buy a domain name is one of most important part before doing anything else. And last time i am just ignore on this part (copyright domain name).

        Dave, Thank you!

        Zudie
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6622384].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author zudierh
      Originally Posted by FrankMiller View Post

      There are some great answers in this thread!

      Hi Frank,

      Thank you for joint us on this thread. I am appreciated when all of us sharing on this thread.

      Thank you..
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6622365].message }}

Trending Topics