Thank You Page - OTO -- Any ideas?

16 replies
Hey!

I want to set up an OTO on the thank you page after people have signed up to my list, but then again I don't really want to make it too salesy, as I'm afraid this might scare people away and have them unsubscribe...

I want my list to be about providing good content, and offering products that I know will benefit once in a while, so that's why I'm a bit scared of coming on too strong on the thank you page...

But, I know it can help make money used on solo ads etc. back, so I would be very interested in doing so, as this means I can grow my list quicker.

Any tips, are my fears unfounded? How do you guys do it, any examples of thank you pages with OTOs on them?

I want to be clear that their free guide is in the e-mail, but yet also make the OTO visible.

Cheers guys!
#ideas #oto #page
  • Profile picture of the author Will Edwards
    Hi Espen

    You are not being too 'salesey' using a marketing tactic that has been shown to work very well. Just write a nice welcome note at the top of the page and tell them that the freebie is already on the way via email. Then ask them to spare a few minutes of their time to review the offer.

    Tip: Make sure you find a good reason to be making the offer and let them know it will NEVER be repeated - then stick to your word!

    And good luck with it.

    Will
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6657306].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author JohnMcCabe
      Originally Posted by Will Edwards View Post

      Tip: Make sure you find a good reason to be making the offer and let them know it will NEVER be repeated - then stick to your word!
      This ^^^^^.

      And it really helps if the OTO really is a special value. I'm not a big buyer of OTOs, but the ones that do reel me in are a combination of a desirable offer at regular price, presented at a really special value in the OTO, and a belief that the offer really is an OTO.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6657453].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Espen Samuelsen
        Thanks for great ideas guys!

        Perhap I should also specify, I use the term OTO as it's thrown a lot around here and has come to mean several things I feel, but what I'm talking about is not really a OTO.

        I just want to tell the new subscriber of my list about an offer (an affiliate offer, not my own) that would compliment my free report perfectly and that I know will provide them with great value.

        I already set up so that the top text tells them that the download link to the free guide has been sent in an e-mail, and that they can contact me for anything.

        I then go on to tell them about this offer that I feel would be great for them, and how it would benefit them.

        Sounds OK?
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6657473].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author paul nicholls
    on all of my oto`s that i now use i create a basic video and give a behind the scenes look at

    "what they will get if they buy"

    this works great for me because its not too salesy and its not full of fluff, hype and bs

    its a kind of "this is what you get take it or leave it" simple approach but it works really well for me

    paul
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6657619].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Espen Samuelsen
    Originally Posted by illinimatt81 View Post

    How do you avoid people signing up with another e-mail address to get the OTO again? Or worse, seeing the OTO and then passing it up and not wanting to get your product because they know what they can get it for?
    Not really sure I understand what you were thinking of here, but if it's a membership site then I guess people could abuse that by signing up their friends etc. No experience in how to make sure that does not happen but there is software that ties membership into the payment.

    As for the OTO, this should typically be a product that you do not offer any other place, or that you have sold before and no longer sell. So it really is an OTO (usually you can still visit the link afterwards, but it's an offer that will only be given to those who already have purchased from you or signed up to your list).
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6663643].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Kal Sallam
    Hi Espen,

    One technique I use would be: on the Thank you page,
    I would have my very friendly "welcome message etc.."
    Then underneath it would be something like:

    "People who signed up also liked (your oto or offer"
    This works extremely well for me. Very friendly & soft selling.

    You can also do something like, "sponsored by"
    Or "brought to you by" Real Powerful stuff right there.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6663783].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Espen Samuelsen
      Hey Kal,

      Great stuff, thanks!!

      Especially liked the "Brought to you by", quite sneaky and still soft!

      Originally Posted by Kal Sallam View Post

      Hi Espen,

      One technique I use would be: on the Thank you page,
      I would have my very friendly "welcome message etc.."
      Then underneath it would be something like:

      "People who signed up also liked (your oto or offer"
      This works extremely well for me. Very friendly & soft selling.

      You can also do something like, "sponsored by"
      Or "brought to you by" Real Powerful stuff right there.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6664097].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author John Grey
    Banned
    [DELETED]
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6664374].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author TomYevsikov
    Hey, you can put a free offer with upsells that you will get commissions for.

    If you are afraid of the paid offer to hurt your relationship with your subscribers then I think this is a solution for you...

    traffic-->subscribers-->thank-you page-->inform them how they will be receiving their gift and also present them with another free unannounced bonus as an "oto" with upsells and downsells(the whole funnel), you build a good relationship with your subscribers and you will earn commissions!

    also, if the upsells you become an affiliate to provide 60-90-180 days cookies and your subscriber doesn't buy the upsells and downsells, the list owner will continue to pitch his paid offer to them and because of the 60-90-180 days cookies, you'll still get a commission, a surprise commission! how does that sound?

    hope I helped ya, Tom Yevsikov.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6664670].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Espen Samuelsen
      Originally Posted by TomYevsikov View Post

      Hey, you can put a free offer with upsells that you will get commissions for.

      If you are afraid of the paid offer to hurt your relationship with your subscribers then I think this is a solution for you...

      traffic-->subscribers-->thank-you page-->inform them how they will be receiving their gift and also present them with another free unannounced bonus as an "oto" with upsells and downsells(the whole funnel), you build a good relationship with your subscribers and you will earn commissions!

      also, if the upsells you become an affiliate to provide 60-90-180 days cookies and your subscriber doesn't buy the upsells and downsells, the list owner will continue to pitch his paid offer to them and because of the 60-90-180 days cookies, you'll still get a commission, a surprise commission! how does that sound?

      hope I helped ya, Tom Yevsikov.

      Hey man!

      Any particular offer in mind?

      Sounds good!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6664789].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author intergen
    I definitely believe its ok to have a OTO. Why not? You must have shown value for them to sign up for your list. If that value is solid then they could very well want more, deeper info and will be willing to pay for it.

    They may not buy the first time they see it though. So I would set up an auto-responder sequence to touch them on a semi-regular basis and give more free content and value. At the bottom keep your OTO ready for those who are ready to buy.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6664725].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Espen Samuelsen
      Originally Posted by intergen View Post

      I definitely believe its ok to have a OTO. Why not? You must have shown value for them to sign up for your list. If that value is solid then they could very well want more, deeper info and will be willing to pay for it.

      They may not buy the first time they see it though. So I would set up an auto-responder sequence to touch them on a semi-regular basis and give more free content and value. At the bottom keep your OTO ready for those who are ready to buy.
      Thanks, this put my mind to ease and yes, this is what I've been planning to do, so I'll think I'll keep this up, at least for now!

      I guess everything must be tested too so!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6664806].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author paul nicholls
    hey espen

    a great way to sell oto`s is to do a review of what they will get if they buy, these can be used on your thankyou pages just as easily

    rather than create a full sales page i now just create a video of around 5 - 8 mins long giving a complete overview on what they will get if they buy

    as i have videos i go through each video explaining what they will learn

    this works really for me and it`s far less salesy than a hyped up sales page and because im using videos it really increases my conversions too

    my oto pages are very basic but time and time again basic pages often prove to convert really well

    test it for yourself and see how you get on :-)

    paul
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6664856].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author WesBlaylock
    OTOs are fine and should be done in some way right when you get a subscriber. Your list will expect what you regularly give them. So if you just give content for the first month and THEN try to sell them, they will be pissed.

    It's important to sell something right up front while providing good quality content to establish what kind of relationship you are building with your new subscriber (a mix of quality content with helpful products that are consistent with your free content).

    As for OTOs, trials seem to pull the most.

    Have you tried turning your report into a video and then at the video going into the sales message for the product? This doesn't have to be an OTO, it is just another way to pitch a product using quality content.

    Wes Blaylock
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6664877].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Randall Magwood
    Most of the people will be more interested in the reason they signed up to your list in the first place. If you lead 96% of them to an "OTO thank you page"... most could care less. They just want the information you're offering. And yes... some will buy from you later on down the line also.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6665902].message }}

Trending Topics