Webdesign company outsourcing ALL my work

47 replies
Hey,

So i have not done this yet, im sure others are already doing it lol, but i wanted to get some opinions and see what people think about this idea.

Would it be a good idea to start a local webdesign company and outsource all of the work?
#company #outsourcing #webdesign #work
Avatar of Unregistered
  • Profile picture of the author Ronnie44
    It's a good idea so long as whoever you outsource to are reliable & do quality work. Don't forget, when you outsource a service you're re-selling, you're in the firing line if it goes wrong.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6683109].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author rosieannemayers
      Originally Posted by Ronnie44 View Post

      It's a good idea so long as whoever you outsource to are reliable & do quality work. Don't forget, when you outsource a service you're re-selling, you're in the firing line if it goes wrong.
      Yes, you have to ensure the quality of the work your outsourcers do before you give it to your customers
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6703450].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author 26medias
    Project Management is going to be harder to manage when your graphists are in india or indonesia...

    When a client order a design, there is a lot of back and forth communication. It's not like "he order, you deliver and the job is done".
    Unless you're planning to create one of those low-cost company where the client will pay $197 for a custom design, in a real design company the client will pay thousands, and will expect you to solve all his issues and work until the design is pixel perfect.
    That means everytime you'll send him a preview of the design he'll have a list of things to change.
    This quality is not possible to obtain using cheap outsourcing.

    PS: I was a Project Manager in a big web agency in Paris, this is experience talking.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6683111].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author webmonopoly
      Originally Posted by 26medias View Post

      Project Management is going to be harder to manage when your graphists are in india or indonesia...

      When a client order a design, there is a lot of back and forth communication. It's not like "he order, you deliver and the job is done".
      Unless you're planning to create one of those low-cost company where the client will pay $197 for a custom design, in a real design company the client will pay thousands, and will expect you to solve all his issues and work until the design is pixel perfect.
      That means everytime you'll send him a preview of the design he'll have a list of things to change.
      This quality is not possible to obtain using cheap outsourcing.

      PS: I was a Project Manager in a big web agency in Paris, this is experience talking.
      Wow, you just opened my eyes to reality. So i would maybe have to start with a lower cost approach perhaps, as you were saying something more along the lines of a custom design "package".
      Signature
      Want To Make Real Passive Income? InvestorChamp.com
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6683237].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author BeauJustin
      Originally Posted by 26medias View Post

      Project Management is going to be harder to manage when your graphists are in india or indonesia...

      When a client order a design, there is a lot of back and forth communication. It's not like "he order, you deliver and the job is done".
      Unless you're planning to create one of those low-cost company where the client will pay $197 for a custom design, in a real design company the client will pay thousands, and will expect you to solve all his issues and work until the design is pixel perfect.
      That means everytime you'll send him a preview of the design he'll have a list of things to change.
      This quality is not possible to obtain using cheap outsourcing.

      PS: I was a Project Manager in a big web agency in Paris, this is experience talking.
      He is absolutely correct. For the PSD design (and copy writing if needed) do it in-house, or source it locally if possible. If not, then talented people in your timezone.

      The coding can be outsourced to one of the PSD to HTML (and/or Wordpress) companies. Many of them are also quite good at adding Jquery functions as needed. I have only been disappointed with XHTMLchop.com one time, and they went over and beyond to correct the problems for me.

      Pulling it all together, adding the copy, and completing the deliverables, I would also do that in-house, locally, or with someone in my timezone.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6683252].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author moneymakersguide
        It's ok to outsource work but make sure you review the work and have some knowledge on the service you are offering. You are the brand so if something bad happens it's you that gets the blame. Plus if a project falls through you can fix it. Just be careful because there are lots of people that do really bad work or don't finish at all.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6684297].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author cashcow
    Outsourcing is a good idea, but it can be problematic especially if you are working with new outsourcers and not sure of how to get the job done on your own should they not come through with the work (I don't know if this is the case with you but its safe to be prepared to jump in and do the work yourself just in case).

    The thing is it can take months to put together a reliable team that does a good job, so what do you do in the mean time?

    As stated above, having the necessary people in house is imperative for quick client turnaround and for you to have better control over the project. If you have a client breathing down your neck for something and you have to email your outsourcer half way across the world and wait 12 hours for him to wake up (or maybe 2 days for him to even answer you), the project can quickly turn sour.

    Lee
    Signature
    Gone Fishing
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6684350].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author abbs
    I know a lot of people who are making money by keeping the difference between what they earn from clients and what they pay to sub-workers.

    It is really difficult though, because finding reliable workers who are willing to work at low prices is not very easy. Your team can disappear at any point, and communicating with them can be next to impossible.

    You need to be highly organized to make such a business succeed, to be quite honest. You would be best off starting small, so that you get the pricing right and find some talented web designers.

    It's best to outsource different parts of the web design process, while keeping what you can do yourself easily for yourself. You might need to coordinate different people, but once you get it going, it will become much easier to handle.
    Signature

    Internet-based freelancing is a SCIENCE and The Freelancer Academy has figured it out!

    Get my Comprehensive Guide to Finding Success on Freelancer.com and learn how to win projects consistently

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6684358].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author vCr8
    Its a good business idea, however if you are serious with this then start by finding a reliable team first. Why not do a test job for your own home site..? This way you will be able to gauge the level of skill and professionalism of your prospect team. The most common outsourcing countries for web design are Philippines; ( little expensive) India and Indonesia (cheaper)
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6684421].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author rts2271
      Going to play devils advocate here. Outsourcing anything beyond ball bat range in tech or design is the surest way to achieve a bad reputation and lots of angry clients. With tech work we are seeing a large volume of work from both old and new clients who thought they would get it for a few bucks cheaper in India. The net effect is in most cases spent considerably more and were very unhappy with the work completed.

      There are a number of factors contributing to this.

      Communication and language barriers.
      Education standards.
      Lack of legal recourse.
      Timezone differences.
      Unrealistic expectations from clients translating in extra work refining the job scope.

      As a result a few years back we adopted the ball bat zone. Or how far a developer is from our office to reach with a tank of gas and a ball bat. If you shop locally and check references and work you will find communication is easier, prices are more realistic, you can sue them in cases of fraud or not upholding their end of a contract, when a client redefines the scope, locals are generally more willing to work with you to satisfy the client.

      Yes I know there are exceptions to the rule, but overall outsourcing tech and design can be very problematic. Unless you have some experience with working with remote developers and the problems you can and will face, stick to local, pay a little more to save a lot more in costs over-runs, headaches and dissatisfied clients.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6684556].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author cjreynolds
        Originally Posted by rts2271 View Post

        Going to play devils advocate here. Outsourcing anything beyond ball bat range in tech or design is the surest way to achieve a bad reputation and lots of angry clients. With tech work we are seeing a large volume of work from both old and new clients who thought they would get it for a few bucks cheaper in India. The net effect is in most cases spent considerably more and were very unhappy with the work completed.

        There are a number of factors contributing to this.

        Communication and language barriers.
        Education standards.
        Lack of legal recourse.
        Timezone differences.
        Unrealistic expectations from clients translating in extra work refining the job scope.

        As a result a few years back we adopted the ball bat zone. Or how far a developer is from our office to reach with a tank of gas and a ball bat. If you shop locally and check references and work you will find communication is easier, prices are more realistic, you can sue them in cases of fraud or not upholding their end of a contract, when a client redefines the scope, locals are generally more willing to work with you to satisfy the client.

        Yes I know there are exceptions to the rule, but overall outsourcing tech and design can be very problematic. Unless you have some experience with working with remote developers and the problems you can and will face, stick to local, pay a little more to save a lot more in costs over-runs, headaches and dissatisfied clients.
        I've been at the other end of this - working as a programmer at a freelance site for someone who was bidding on jobs as a seller and then turning around and outsourcing ALL of the work to numerous programmers and designers. She wasn't good at managing the situation, and it turned into a nightmare. We programmers were stepping all over each others work, she was making modifications on previous versions of the scripts I was writing, and not informing me of the changes, then getting irate when the changes didn't magically appear in the current version. She was also in Australia, a 12-hour time difference from my location, which didn't help at all...

        It all went to hell in a handbag, and we both ended up with bad feedback on the site.
        Signature

        I just added this sig so I can refer to it in my posts...

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6692237].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author myeanne
    Hi webmonopoly,

    Outsourcing your projects is really great idea. You just need to hire a company with reputable experienced and great services.
    Signature
    Staff Leasing
    We Lease Offshore Employees

    Hire inexpensive labor from the Philippines!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6691543].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Luka Sanic
    l think its good idea if you got money for this, company makes quality websites etc.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6691551].message }}
  • You can do that but i wouldn't agree if you will outsource all of your work. It would be better if you work on the things that are important and hire someone to do the other task that are less important but needed to be done.

    Hope this will help you...
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6691657].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author sbucciarel
    Banned
    A lot of people do this, but if you think it's a "work free" solution, it's not. You are responsible for the work getting done on time and up to par. You have to manage the staff and be prepared to make quick changes if things go wrong.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6691833].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author webmonopoly
    Seems like it can be a very stressful situation... im still contemplating whether i should do this or not. I feel like if i was organized enough i can pull it off pretty smoothly. Maybe get a few local freelance designers to help if needed, or if a job started turning into a nightmare.

    I can see how the situation can go south fairly quickly, but id almost rather deal with that then continue working this boring IT help desk job, all i do is read the warrior forum while im on calls.
    Signature
    Want To Make Real Passive Income? InvestorChamp.com
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6692492].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Thomas W
    It's virtually no difference if you have an effective communication system. Using Skype has been very effective for me. I can just easy tell a programmer to fix a code on Skype as if they was sitting next to me.

    My main issue was making sure these workers come to work on time and not taking too many freaking breaks.

    You could always use a system like Odesk or Timedoctor to ensure there working on their desk and not Facebooking all freaking day..

    Good Luck
    Signature

    Established webmaster since 1998. Bought my first domain name for $70 and had to pay $1000 a month for hosting. It was the good life

    Skype: twool9
    Email me at thomasw9 ((((a)))) G mail

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6692562].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author webmonopoly
      Originally Posted by Thomas W View Post

      It's virtually no difference if you have an effective communication system. Using Skype has been very effective for me. I can just easy tell a programmer to fix a code on Skype as if they was sitting next to me.

      My main issue was making sure these workers come to work on time and not taking too many freaking breaks.

      You could always use a system like Odesk or Timedoctor to ensure there working on their desk and not Facebooking all freaking day..

      Good Luck
      Hey Thomas,

      So is this something you have been doing fairly successfully? Have you run into any problems or has it been smooth sailing for you?
      Signature
      Want To Make Real Passive Income? InvestorChamp.com
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6694136].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Thomas W
        Originally Posted by webmonopoly View Post

        Hey Thomas,

        So is this something you have been doing fairly successfully? Have you run into any problems or has it been smooth sailing for you?
        Yes off course ran into all kinds of problems. Making sure a team of 10 people is doing their own tasks to combine into a well oiled machine is not easy in house or offshore.

        You have to create a Process and train the workers what your expectations are
        Signature

        Established webmaster since 1998. Bought my first domain name for $70 and had to pay $1000 a month for hosting. It was the good life

        Skype: twool9
        Email me at thomasw9 ((((a)))) G mail

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6694274].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Thomas W
    I would like to say that there is some very good talent in countries like India, Pakistan, Philippinnes, and Eastern Europe for relatively low price.

    But it's just like anything else You can have a $4000 a month programmer in your office can be just as bad as the $1000 a month Indian programmer.
    Signature

    Established webmaster since 1998. Bought my first domain name for $70 and had to pay $1000 a month for hosting. It was the good life

    Skype: twool9
    Email me at thomasw9 ((((a)))) G mail

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6692568].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author therichb
    Finding good outsourced team for your business processes can be full of hassle for someone who has a great deal of things to be done on urgent basis.

    Its always not about money but finding a source of expertise from offshore providers can help explore a right choice perfectly ...
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6694207].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author contentwriting360
    Banned
    Hi,

    When you build a local business and outsource offshore, you will have to consider the following:

    1. Set a Crystal-Clear Expectation
    Before you let them touch your project, lay down your house rules. Tell them what makes you blush and what makes you heat like a volcano. Be clear with your expectation when it comes to attendance, punctuality, roles and responsibilities.

    2. Develop Your Quality Control Processes (QCP)
    A documented what-needs-to-be-done-when-this-and-that-happens is very significant whether you outsource onshore or offshore. Your QCP is the foundation of your business. It guides your people to accomplish their tasks. Give them a flowchart, if possible.

    3. Develop a Business Continuity Plan (BCP)
    A BCP is nothing but a when-all-else-fails-what-do-I-need-to-do type of thing. For example, while you're on a vacation, a client emergency call happens and your people can't reach you for some reasons, that BCP will help them make a quick yet sound decision based on that specific scenario. In layman's terms, a BCP is a back-up plan of all back-up plans.

    4. Profile Your People
    - Task your people to do what they can only do.
    - Delegate tasks, roles and responsibilities.
    - Formulate a Performance Development Plan (PDP). It serves as their scorecard. It contains all the Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) that you have set for them to scale their performance. This will help you decide on who shall hold a more responsible position when the time comes.


    I hope this helps.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6694252].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author webmonopoly
      Originally Posted by contentwriting360 View Post

      Hi,

      When you build a local business and outsource offshore, you will have to consider the following:

      1. Set a Crystal-Clear Expectation
      Before you let them touch your project, lay down your house rules. Tell them what makes you blush and what makes you heat like a volcano. Be clear with your expectation when it comes to attendance, punctuality, roles and responsibilities.

      2. Develop Your Quality Control Processes (QCP)
      A documented what-needs-to-be-done-when-this-and-that-happens is very significant whether you outsource onshore or offshore. Your QCP is the foundation of your business. It guides your people to accomplish their tasks. Give them a flowchart, if possible.

      3. Develop a Business Continuity Plan (BCP)
      A BCP is nothing but a when-all-else-fails-what-do-I-need-to-do type of thing. For example, while you're on a vacation, a client emergency call happens and your people can't reach you for some reasons, that BCP will help them make a quick yet sound decision based on that specific scenario. In layman's terms, a BCP is a back-up plan of all back-up plans.

      4. Profile Your People
      - Task your people to do what they can only do.
      - Delegate tasks, roles and responsibilities.
      - Formulate a Performance Development Plan (PDP). It serves as their scorecard. It contains all the Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) that you have set for them to scale their performance. This will help you decide on who shall hold a more responsible position when the time comes.


      I hope this helps.
      Amazing info... keeping all of this in the notepad, thanks.

      If i build a team, lets say on Odesk, im assuming if i have them all working on 1 project they will be able to communicate with each other or would i have to control the tasks?
      Signature
      Want To Make Real Passive Income? InvestorChamp.com
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6694373].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author contentwriting360
        Banned
        Originally Posted by webmonopoly View Post

        Amazing info... keeping all of this in the notepad, thanks.
        Thanks for appreciating it.


        If i build a team, lets say on Odesk, im assuming if i have them all working on 1 project they will be able to communicate with each other or would i have to control the tasks?
        It's a must that you do both. You need to be able to communicate with each other and you should have full control of the tasks. Please allow me to go into details so I can put across what I want to say pretty clearly.

        1. Communicate with each other
        Communication is the key in any relationship. Business is a relationship. There are many ways on how you maintain a good communication with your people. Here are they.
        a. Schedule a weekly/monthly 1-on-1 coaching. This goes hand-in-hand with what I mentioned on my previous post. Do you remember the Personal Development Plan (PDP)? Your personnel's performance for that particular week or month will be your topic in your coaching session. Make your personnel aware what she did best, what she could have done better, and what she should be doing next. Remember this. Always make your personnel know that your door is always open should she needs your help.

        b. Have some on-the-fly coaching sessions
        Okay, I assume your team works offshore. So you don't get to see each other face-to-face (physically). If one of your people sent you an email and you see that there's an area for improvement to the report she sent you and it can be corrected easily or by just doing a thing or two, educate her, right away, on what she needs to correct. Don't wait for your next week's or next month's scheduled 1-on-1 coaching session just to let her know what she could have known today.

        c. There are many things I'd like to say but I'm afraid I could have just created an e-book for that purpose.

        2. Have full control of the tasks
        If you have just formed a team, I don't recommend delegating ALL tasks to them. Perhaps, you can delegate a few tasks to those whom you can clearly feel that he or she can do the job. I'm not saying you don't trust them. I'm saying that you need to scale their first. Here comes in what I said above, 'Profile your employees.' After a month or two, stack-rank your people based from the PDP cards they have. Make sure that you show your people a weekly or monthly stack ranking report.

        I hope this helps.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6696485].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Jon Martin
    This is something that is oftenly discussed in the Offline Marketing forum, and if you look there you'll surely find a gold mine of information:

    Offline Marketing Discussions

    I personally began outsourcing some online services and it has been quite rewarding thus far. I've been given a ton of new opportunities because of it. Try your hand at cold calling!

    Best Regards,
    Jon
    Signature
    "Be the hero of your own movie."
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6694394].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author tmoby
    If you outsource make sure you are able to do many design revisions. Even if you charge extra for, say, more than 3 revisions, it becomes a hassle and can take allot of time going back and forth to your designer.

    If you are able to I recommend doing the design yourself, then once the clients happy hire a psd to html/wordpress company to do all the coding. To me that's the most pain free solution.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6694562].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author magiclouie
    Originally Posted by webmonopoly View Post

    Hey,

    So i have not done this yet, im sure others are already doing it lol, but i wanted to get some opinions and see what people think about this idea.

    Would it be a good idea to start a local webdesign company and outsource all of the work?
    It would be a good idea as long as you know some basics of web designing too. Then, you need to look for a reliable company/person who can truly handle these stuffs.

    Please PM me if you need my help.

    Thanks,
    Louie Tugas
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6694608].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author easternodyssey
    Hahahah this is such a marketers comment. I think i am better of sticking to the web design. Just a comment if you plan to outsource for one you should insure the quality is good and as a result have a little idea over the basics of web design.
    Signature
    Eastern Odyssey | The Definitive Guide to Asia
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6694746].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author webmonopoly
      Ya i have basic web-design skills, i am able to customize wordpress code and change around code in static websites, quite capable with photoshop as well, i should be able to communicate quite fluently with the designers and customers.

      What i was actually just thinking about was hosting, how should i offer to host my clients sites? Some of them might have there own hosting? I could always easily use hostgator and godaddy right? If they have already bought a domain name i will have to point it to the correct server?

      Any ideas on making this hosting part as simple as possible?
      Signature
      Want To Make Real Passive Income? InvestorChamp.com
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6694804].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author tmtechno
    Outsourcing can be a difficult proposition depending on the partner/provider that you land up with. Communication can a big hurdle if you do not chose your provider wisely. Do not go for low end providers with rock bottom pricing. You will get frustrated trying to communicate.

    Providers from Big cities in India can be an option. Look for someone of repute from major cities like Delhi and Bangalore(ask for references).
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6695390].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author rosetrees
    I'm going to be different here. Why do you want to outsource? Is it because you can't make websites yourself? If it is, why do you want to start a web design company?

    If it isn't, why do you want to outsource? Remember, if you are working for local companies you are working for people that you will get to know. This is how I work. I live in a rural area and work with many micro businesses. Only last week I spent three hours with a client sitting on their sofa and we worked on their website together. You can't offer that kind of service if you outsource.

    The question is not "should you outsource" but WHY would you outsource? For example, you aren't capable of doing the work yourself; you want to offer a cut price service; you don't want to work on close basis with micro-businesses; you have more work that you can cope with and want to outsource chosen projects.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6695655].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Kal Sallam
      Originally Posted by rosetrees View Post

      I'm going to be different here. Why do you want to outsource? Is it because you can't make websites yourself? If it is, why do you want to start a web design company?
      Hi Carol,

      I see you're point, however outsourcing is inevitable for any companies growth.

      Here is why you would want to outsource:

      1-You don't want to be working in your 're business but rather on your business.

      2- Hiring someone to do the work for you is the only way to Grow.

      3- All big CEOs only oversee their company by delegating the work & tasks.

      Wallamrt's owner dose not load and unload the merchandise himself
      He has people doing the dirty work for him.


      Kal.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6696119].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author rosetrees
        Originally Posted by Kal Sallam View Post

        Hi Carol,


        Wallamrt's owner dose not load and unload the merchandise himself
        He has people doing the dirty work for him.


        .
        Last time I looked, Walmart wasn't a start-up company. When it was, I'll take bets the owner did the work himself. The quickest way to kill any start-up business is to outsource everything or hire too many staff and NOT do the work yourself. They all expect to be paid on time. Difficult when you don't have money in reserve.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8547401].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author webmonopoly
      Originally Posted by rosetrees View Post

      I'm going to be different here. Why do you want to outsource? Is it because you can't make websites yourself? If it is, why do you want to start a web design company?

      If it isn't, why do you want to outsource? Remember, if you are working for local companies you are working for people that you will get to know. This is how I work. I live in a rural area and work with many micro businesses. Only last week I spent three hours with a client sitting on their sofa and we worked on their website together. You can't offer that kind of service if you outsource.

      The question is not "should you outsource" but WHY would you outsource? For example, you aren't capable of doing the work yourself; you want to offer a cut price service; you don't want to work on close basis with micro-businesses; you have more work that you can cope with and want to outsource chosen projects.
      I totally see where your coming from, it makes sense. I will be capable of building custom blogs and smaller sites myself for clients. But if a client wants something larger or something that required coding that i cant do, i want to be able to take that job and outsource it. Doesn't mean I wont be able to get close with my clients and build a solid rep with them, don't you think it might even help in that area?

      I will still have to meet with clients and sit with them for hours documenting there design and needs, but when i get home instead of designing an entire site from scratch i can contact my outsourced team and hand them the details (hopefully with smooth communication). And then i can concentrate on other clients and repeat the process.
      Signature
      Want To Make Real Passive Income? InvestorChamp.com
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6696220].message }}
  • Its great to outsource jobs. But when doing this you need to be very organized and source reliable outsourcers who you can depend on.

    I always get freelancers to do a test or a trial run before hiring. I also use places like oDesk where I can keep a track of the hours worked and how much they are working.

    You may want to start with outsourcing parts of your business but not everything.

    Just my 2c
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6695710].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author UrbanDigital
    Hey everyone! First off thanks for all the great info. I stumbled across this thread and was thrilled that it had everything i've been trying to figure out. Secondly did you ever end up pursuing this webmonopoly? Seeing as how this thread is over a year old at this point I'm interested in hearing what your experience was getting things started. I'm essentially in the exact same position you were... working a dead end help desk job and trying to get a web design and development company off the ground on the side. Outsourcing seems like it would be a great idea for me as a way to get fast turnover on jobs while i keep my full time job till i'm profitable. Any advice from someone who's started the same thing recently making the lessons learned fresh would be awesome.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8418522].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author webmonopoly
      Originally Posted by UrbanDigital View Post

      Hey everyone! First off thanks for all the great info. I stumbled across this thread and was thrilled that it had everything i've been trying to figure out. Secondly did you ever end up pursuing this webmonopoly? Seeing as how this thread is over a year old at this point I'm interested in hearing what your experience was getting things started. I'm essentially in the exact same position you were... working a dead end help desk job and trying to get a web design and development company off the ground on the side. Outsourcing seems like it would be a great idea for me as a way to get fast turnover on jobs while i keep my full time job till i'm profitable. Any advice from someone who's started the same thing recently making the lessons learned fresh would be awesome.
      Cant believe this thread is still going... just stumbled across it while browsing the forum at random...

      I did end up following through with all this and i had a few clients that were super fun and easy to complete jobs with. And then i had one client that really made me never want to do it again lol. What i found out is even if your outsourcing it still comes out to A LOT of work that doesn't really pay off too well. I don't really ever want to do it again actually, and I'm glad i had been been working on personal websites at the same time. Im now making money from my websites and so im working full time on them now.
      Signature
      Want To Make Real Passive Income? InvestorChamp.com
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8418866].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author r0dvan
    Its a good idea. But you need to take care of many elements as:
    Quality Assurance
    Unique designs or template based?
    Which content management systems?
    Charging for updates as if you use CMS systems they will get deprecated eventually.
    Branding knowledge
    Signature
    Grow & Thrive Software - Software for Growth Hacking. Lead Generation and Content Creator.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8419867].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author justlukeyou
    You need to be careful. If you are selling your services as if you are doing the work you could be sued for mis-selling. Its okay to outsource a portion of the work but by outsourcing everything you are misleading people.

    In the UK I think it is against the sales of goods act not to inform your customer you outsourcing everything.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8419889].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author lowelly
    I'm no webdesign pro, but I have outsourced content projects and I have reached the conclusion that it only works when you outsource to a single provider, someone you have worked with and you can trust to deliver quality and meet deadlines. One or two disappointed clients can ruin your reputation on the local market.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8419920].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author mrtonyp29
    Yea I would say so. I would say fiverr or elance. I outsource my work to 123 employee, they are pretty good, but quite expensive. :rolleyes:
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8547125].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author apeee
    Seriously, I don't see much problem in outsourcing work as many people are already doing it. But you need to keep good followup with your outsourcers and guide them along the way.
    Signature
    [High Quality Authority Backlinks] Ultimate Guest Posting Service
    Email: foundawallet[at]gmail.com
    Skype: apeee86
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8547768].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author bougalo
    My friend,
    This not only is a good idea, it is the Best idea out there. We own a local Webdesign Company and we've been doing it for years now. We used to have several freelancers at once working on our clients projects. But since 2011, we found a US based company called Optmaze.com, which is very reliable and free. Now, we only work with them. Whenever, we sign up a new client and figure what kind of site they need, we send the project requirements to optmaze. From there, they will assign you a single local developer to build your site. Every day, you will receive an email update until the site is completely built, tested, and launched. they generally have 3 to 4 weeks turnaround time. It works pretty well for us. Go to their site, and look for the "Webdesign resellers" to see if this is right for you. Good luck.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9153942].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author NShankar
    2 years back I have joined elance to outsource a job for video creation and distribution and opted for both freelancer and contractor profile. I did not find any one for my project but got projects as a Freelancer in Elance !. I was lucky as I passed many of their exams and obtained Top scores. So I researched and found low cost outsourcing resources who does the job for me. No it is NOT fiverr. They are part time / full time works from philippines. So outsourcing really works and many people doing it as arbitrage. There is nothing wrong in that as you are helping others too by outsourcing your company work.
    Signature

    Having Monthly traffic of above 50,000 visitors but low CTR and RPM in Google Adsense ? Give me a chance to fix your adsense income. Pay me once and earn more income life long. Check out my profile as an Adsense Optimization Freelancer in Upwork

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9185047].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author NK
    You should start your research and seek out a list of people who you can potentially outsource to. Maybe even talk to them and see what they can do and how they charge as well as turnaround time. After you have a rough idea you'll be able to put a better offer together.

    Always give yourself room for error. If they tell you it can be done in a week, tell your clients you need 2 weeks. Once you've done a few projects together you can reasses and reevaluate the process.

    Start small and work your way up to bigger projects.
    Signature

    Affiliate Link Cloaking & Tracking Software - The most powerful tool available for affiliate marketers who are sick and tired of making way too little money!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9185676].message }}
Avatar of Unregistered

Trending Topics