Why Every Internet Marketer Should Be Under 25

106 replies
A little over a week ago, a provocative article was posted to the nextgen journal:

Why Every Social Media Manager Should Be Under 25 - NextGen Journal - NextGen Journal

The thesis was that twenty-somethings are uniquely qualified to manage a company's social media marketing efforts because they "grew up using social media."

The article set off a firestorm of commentary. I think you will find there are hundreds of links to it.

This is an example of linkbait, an SEO concept we don't talk about that often here.

In this case, the ingredients for effective linkbait are:

1. Persona. The author is said to be a recent college graduate with a degree in English and Creative Writing. Her only work experience is with USA Today.

2. Youthful arrogance mated with incompetence. Here's a sample of her impenetrable prose:

The specificity of the ways in which the method should be used is usually beyond them, however. The typically tired commercial statements or aggressively slang-imitating phrases companies tend to use on their sites do not match the witty, honest, energetic atmosphere these social media outlets offer.

Huh?

3. Disrespect. Adopt a F-U stance and ignore every subsequent comment as if to reply would be beneath you.

...We
spent our adolescence growing up with social media. We were around long enough to see how life worked without it but had it thrown upon us at an age where the ways to make the best/correct use of it came most naturally to us. No one else will ever be able to have as clear an understanding of these services, no matter how much they may think they do.

The article practically begs for a response of "Good luck getting a job, Missy, with that attitude." Even when you know it's linkbait, it's hard not to get a little riled up.

Nobody is going to remember this woman in 3 months, assuming it's an actual person and not an online persona. But the links will endure.

Writers: Learn to create this stuff and make some money.

fLufF
--
#internet #marketer
  • Profile picture of the author Cybria
    Bah! I just turned 27 yesterday so count me among those who don't want to hear this. lol. I see your point however...very attention grabbing post. Though I'm not all for messing with people's emotions like that. Captivating headlines, yes. Instigating argument just for attention, no.
    Signature

    - Tiff

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6698976].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author glowworm
      Banned
      Age has no bearing on anything . . . including sex which is far more enjoyable the older you get
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6698998].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author curious73
      Originally Posted by Cybria View Post

      Bah! I just turned 27 yesterday so count me among those who don't want to hear this. lol. I see your point however...very attention grabbing post. Though I'm not all for messing with people's emotions like that. Captivating headlines, yes. Instigating argument just for attention, no.
      Yes count me in.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6959145].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Tony Dean
    There are some social media and blogs,( like mine!), that arouse incitement against whoever I am targeting that day, usually the UK government. I don't however allow comments on my blog, I took the code out altogether when I built it. I got so fed up with the incessant spambots calling whilst I was sleeping when I had a forum called the same name, I would spend an hour cleaning out all the different categories.
    Signature

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6699002].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author briantymes
    This is something that you really don't hear about anymore. However as you pointed out, the links that are created from this are going to be amazing.
    Signature
    Buy Spin Ready Articles ===>> Get The Highest Quality Spin Ready Articles Online Today.
    Deep Spun & Manually Created - Best Spinnable Articles
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6699008].message }}
    • Originally Posted by briantymes View Post

      This is something that you really don't hear about anymore. However as you pointed out, the links that are created from this are going to be amazing.
      Yes, and the follow-on blog posts on other sites, some defending her, some excoriating her further.

      fLufF
      --
      Signature
      Fiverr is looking for freelance writers for its blog. Details here.
      Love microjobs? Work when you want and get paid in cash the same day!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6699180].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author MissTerraK
        Well, of course she's right...

        I thought everyone enjoyed the wisdom and insight ringing through every three-year-old marketer's websites. I always thought that the colossal amount of experience they've gained in their lives was completely understood. :rolleyes::p

        Terra
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6699216].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author magiclouie
        [DELETED]
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6699229].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author onSubie
          Originally Posted by magiclouie View Post

          You got me on your thread title

          Code:
          Why Every Internet Marketer Should Be Under 25!
          Although, the title of the article is "Why Every Social Media Manager Should Be Under 25." Social Media Manager and Internet Marketer are two different words.
          Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post

          This is an example of linkbait, an SEO concept we don't talk about that often here.


          Mahlon
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6699495].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Robert X
        Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post

        some excoriating her further.

        fLufF
        --
        Huh?

        Is that Onglish?
        Signature

        [

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6701575].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author biz_online
    I see that you're a thinker and a philosopher. Good luck with that!
    Signature

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6699012].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Mike Roncone
    First of all, that's a very interesting stance in the article, and it is reasonably well thought out.

    Second of all, I would not have even thought of analyzing the article this way. It certainly makes sense, and I need to keep an eye out on buzzworthy articles now to see for myself how much your analysis applies.

    If you ask me, that's a darn good hypothesis.

    Best,
    -Mike
    Signature

    Founder & Web Strategist at Grae Web Strategies

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6699186].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author John Taylor
    Why Every Internet Marketer Should Be Under 25
    Is that 25 stone in weight?

    Sitting in front of a PC and snacking all day will do that to you. ;-)

    John
    Signature
    John's Internet Marketing News, Views & Reviews: John Taylor Online
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6699187].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author curious73
      Originally Posted by John Taylor View Post

      Is that 25 stone in weight?

      Sitting in front of a PC and snacking all day will do that to you. ;-)

      John
      Ah hah ha ha ha ............ that was a good one!!!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6959209].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author DarrenHaynes
    2. Youthful arrogance mated with incompetence. Here's a sample of her impenetrable prose:

    The specificity of the ways in which the method should be used is usually beyond them, however. The typically tired commercial statements or aggressively slang-imitating phrases companies tend to use on their sites do not match the witty, honest, energetic atmosphere these social media outlets offer.

    Huh?
    I am pretty sure they are using spun content...
    Signature
    TheSpinningTop.net
    Buy Paragraph, Sentence, and Word Spun Articles
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6699218].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author RavishingRajni
    Strange are the mechanics of the world
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6699239].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Buford Mobley
      I AM under 25 in dog years, lol
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6699325].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author fin
      If you think about it, she does have a point.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6699329].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Alexa Smith
        Banned
        Originally Posted by fin View Post

        If you think about it, she does have a point.
        Undeniably (though the incompetent way she tries to make it does her no favors at all). But so does fLufF.

        And there's something "not quite right" about it, too: I know I can be verbose, myself, at times, but nobody with a degree in English and Creative Writing should produce sentences like those.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6699368].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author eibhlin
        Originally Posted by fin View Post

        If you think about it, she does have a point.
        "She" referencing... which writer? The article referenced? If so, I can't wholly agree.

        The questions that were raised are good. Should Internet marketers have a youthful attitude and be aware of trends across all age groups, especially those with disposable incomes (or allowances)?

        Absolutely.

        Is that skill set limited to one age group?

        Not even close.

        However, if you're talking about the woman who started this thread, I agree. It's a wonderfully scathing analysis of the original article, and hits the nail squarely on the head regarding bias and prejudice, and the blind spots that can follow.
        Signature
        Artist, blogger, and author of a bazillion books, more or less. Find me at Eibhlin.com
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6699370].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author fin
          Originally Posted by eibhlin View Post

          "She" referencing... which writer? The article referenced? If so, I can't wholly agree.
          It was more about what Fluff said about people forgetting in a few months time.







          But I did try to make it look like something else.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6699520].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Henry White
        Originally Posted by fin View Post

        If you think about it, she does have a point.
        Most pinheads do.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6709949].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author zigzag007
    Article is a bunch of hog-wash. lol
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6699390].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Michael Oksa
    Following that premise, only older people should write because they have more years of experience doing it.

    The referenced article is nothing more than bigotry and/or ignorance, but whatever.

    All the best,
    Michael
    Signature

    "Ich bin en fuego!"
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6699418].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Adie
    I am 36 and started learning IM since 2002
    Signature



    Moderator's Note: You're only allowed to put your own products or sites in your signature.

    Signature edited.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6699420].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Thomas W
    This is very naive to believe this. I have heard this many times from business owners to assume that the "College Intern" will be better dealing with Social Media since they grew up on it.

    The problem is that most these "Kids" used Social media for "SOCIALIZING" with their peers and friends. NOT FOR BUSINESS.

    You could easily have a Public Relations nightmare if not done correctly
    Signature

    Established webmaster since 1998. Bought my first domain name for $70 and had to pay $1000 a month for hosting. It was the good life

    Skype: twool9
    Email me at thomasw9 ((((a)))) G mail

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6699637].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Rus Sells
    LOL I commented on that article a few days ago!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6699658].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author cashcow
    Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post

    Nobody is going to remember this woman in 3 months, assuming it's an actual person and not an online persona. But the links will endure.
    Thankfully, us older people will forget about it even sooner than that.
    Signature
    Gone Fishing
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6699665].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author dkla27
    That's OK. Let 20 year-olds market to other 20 year olds through social media while I market to 35 year olds who actually have money to spend and hate fb as much as I do...
    Signature

    Animoto pro HD videos starting at $2.50!
    Contact me for any video work.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6699778].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Charanjit
    now I feel old at 28, but at least now I am justified for my poor use of social media, but thank good with age comes wisdom and a cutting down of my ego (I can do everything).

    I accept that I am useless at social media but have enough brains to hire a good team to do my social media for me (thank you odesk lol). And I disagree, most under 25 do not have a clue about marketing and social media.

    The whole education system is ****, how come the individuals with the brains (i.e university teachers) are not where you want to be in life. Cut a long story short, only take advice off people that are where you want to be, the rest is just noise.
    Signature

    Want to learn more, read read and read more. http://www.mannusblog.com/index.php/...e-optimisation

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6699799].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Sara Nightingale
    I read through the article, and personally, I think she makes some valid points. Though I do not believe that "growing up" with social media makes you more qualified to use it. It does however give you a better base understanding if you were going to go ahead and major in social media in college. A very popular major for this generation that she speaks of.
    Signature

    Sara Nightingale
    Customer Service Edge LLC

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6699914].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author OPTIMUSMKTG
      Originally Posted by Sara Nightingale View Post

      I read through the article, and personally, I think she makes some valid points. Though I do not believe that "growing up" with social media makes you more qualified to use it. It does however give you a better base understanding if you were going to go ahead and major in social media in college. A very popular major for this generation that she speaks of.
      I think what the writer is really trying to say is....

      "Chatting with girlfriends on Facebook about how I got drunk and made out with Mark and Aaron last Saturday night has provided me with an array of worldly professional experience necessary to succeed in the online business world! Oh my gawd!!!"
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6711431].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author cjreynolds
        Originally Posted by optimusmedia7 View Post

        I think what the writer is really trying to say is....

        "Chatting with girlfriends on Facebook about how I got drunk and made out with Mark and Aaron last Saturday night has provided me with an array of worldly professional experience necessary to succeed in the online business world! Oh my gawd!!!"
        LMAO! She reminds me of the teenager that sits and plays video games all day, then says "I've played these games so much, I know more about 'em than the programmers - I can write games for a living!"

        Yeah, right! :rolleyes:
        Signature

        I just added this sig so I can refer to it in my posts...

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6711743].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author David Keith
    just because younger people "know" how to use a technology or platform does not at all mean they "KNOW" how to use them properly.

    My thoughts race to texting and "sexting". Yea these kids know how to use text/picture messaging but that does not at all mean they understand all the intricacies and consequences of using any given technology in various ways.

    Also, lets be honest, social media and many of its viral effects are very difficult to fully predict. Many things in our social media world seem to take on a life of their own well outside the control or initial intent of their creator...no matter the creators/managers age.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6701137].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author therichb
    A big lesson to learn here is that Age does not matters a lot, but we must bear in mind the topic says, why all IM's should be less than 25.

    By this, they tried to define a minimum possible age range for such people. In such a case, we can say that in young age, youngsters quickly learn & reinnovate their abilities from the mistakes made by them in the past.

    Possibly, <25 can be said as a standard age where from one can start working as a IM.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6701214].message }}
    • Correct me if I'm wrong, but the conclusion the OP seems to be drawing is that any links back are good links - in much the same way as any publicity is good publicity.

      For some situations that might be true, but if your goal is to build a brand reputation over the long term, this kind of approach is exactly what you should not be doing.
      Signature

      Bros find strictly platonic dudes on seekBromance.com
      _______________________________________________
      "It's pretty simple. You work hard, you believe anything is possible, and you try to make the world better."

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6701251].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Bill Hugall
    Wow that was grrrrreat! I really like that approach. If she is an actual person or not isn't the point. She has at least 52 people on this forum talking about it. Good for her! The whole point is to attract attention. Good, Bad or otherwise. I would imagine that the social media community is having a field day with this, which would only serve to defend her argument. If she had to ride the crazy to do it... So be it.

    I am sure somewhere that she is taking her last hit from the bong and looking at her friend saying I told you so. I tip my cap to her ; ) In one fail swoop someone who you are all discrediting as an ignorant young girl has proven to be quite the opposite. She has an entire community up in arms. That is more than I have been able to do.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6701285].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author GlenH
      Originally Posted by bilkat19 View Post

      Wow that was grrrrreat! I really like that approach. If she is an actual person or not isn't the point. She has at least 52 people on this forum talking about it. Good for her! The whole point is to attract attention. Good, Bad or otherwise. I would imagine that the social media community is having a field day with this, which would only serve to defend her argument. If she had to ride the crazy to do it... So be it.

      I am sure somewhere that she is taking her last hit from the bong and looking at her friend saying I told you so. I tip my cap to her ; ) In one fail swoop someone who you are all discrediting as an ignorant young girl has proven to be quite the opposite. She has an entire community up in arms. That is more than I have been able to do.
      I totally agree 100%..

      She got herself well and truly noticed and talked about.

      Create some mass indignation...create mass controversy...get people spitting and arguing about her thoughts and ideas, and it's a marketers dream come true. I wish I'd thought of it
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6709587].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Robert Bleach
    I can't believe people are actually arguing the merits of this article here, after OP already pointed out that it's nothing but linkbait. Of course, most of us older folks know it by another name -- trolling. Well, off to make some some troll posts on my blogs in an attempt to generate enough butthurt to build 500 links.

    I think I'll start with "No one under 35 has anything of value to say. . ."
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6701406].message }}
  • I was an IM guru before you could tie your shoes sonny lol. They were a little to obvious with the linkbait tactics, probably the same goofballs that send around the emails of chicks that want you to view their profile. Everyone wants to make money and some are really good at touching the human emotion, for me I could care less, I grew up knowing, that a person is not defined by their age.
    Signature
    Conversion Magnet - Instapage Premium accounts for $39/mo, normally $99/mo.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6701445].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author drmani
      I started using a PC when I was 18. It was my dad's, he was learning
      too, and was in his late forties at the time. Within a year, I was
      far more proficient doing tasks, coding, navigating around projects,
      and generally making the PC a productivity tool, than he ever managed -
      even 15 years later.

      If a kid of age 3 started at the same time as I did, chances are s/he
      would be just as far ahead of ME as I was of dad in the USE of the
      tool/technology - simply because it gets incorporated more deeply into
      their routines.

      So the author is right when "she" says:

      No one else will ever be able to have as clear an understanding of these services, no matter how much they may think they do.
      But here's the kicker.

      Because they are more familiar and comfortable with the TECHNOLOGY has
      little or nothing to do with the IMPACT they create with it.

      I learned to use the PC for some graphics work, drafting letters on
      MS Word, practicing typewriting etc.

      Dad used it to write a program that would database the medical records
      of an entire department's patients, so that it would be easier to
      research the epidemiological factors that affected heart disease in
      the Indian population.

      His "ineffecient" use of the technology was far more EFFECTIVE.

      My "efficient" use of the tool was much less EFFECTIVE.

      Mistaking EFFICIENCY for EFFECTIVENESS lies at the core of most
      sub-optimal efforts to manage time better.

      Stephen Covey's excellent analogy always pops into mind - of the
      man clambering up a ladder, only to reach the top and discover that
      it's leaning against the wrong wall.

      Age (when used to accumulate knowledge and process it into wisdom)
      has the advantage of being able to tell more accurately if it is
      indeed learning against the "right wall".

      As for the "viral" nature of this article and its link-bait quality,
      I agree that it works very well - but am not as sure about the impact
      in the long term.

      What good will links and excoriating comments like the ones on this
      article do to the owner/webmaster of the site, or the author of the
      piece?

      Stirring the pot for no good reason, without any underlying purpose to
      leverage or capitalize on the response seems at best a less well-thought
      out strategy. Wanting a post to go viral is great - if you have a plan
      to build upon it. "Charlie Bit My Finger" got many million views on
      YouTube before someone figured out how to monetize it!

      All success
      Dr.Mani
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6701514].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Fraggler
        Originally Posted by drmani View Post

        Stirring the pot for no good reason, without any underlying purpose to
        leverage or capitalize on the response seems at best a less well-thought
        out strategy.
        But you don't know what her strategy is and whether it's flawed. If the website's business is monetising traffic (through on-site advertising) then I'd say there was some success and thought-out planning.

        If the author's goal was to show that a young writer can cause a social buzz then that seems to have worked too. The networking opportunities from that one article must be huge.

        I'll also take a stab that many young writers and marketers agreed with her view and a wise older (or young) businessman may now see that young following as an opportunity to target that demographic.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6701574].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Walter Parrish
        Originally Posted by drmani View Post

        I started using a PC when I was 18. It was my dad's, he was learning
        too, and was in his late forties at the time. Within a year, I was
        far more proficient doing tasks, coding, navigating around projects,
        and generally making the PC a productivity tool, than he ever managed -
        even 15 years later.
        Dr.Mani
        You sound like you really know your stuff. I know I probably won't get an honest answer to this questions, but I will ask anyways.
        How much did dad pay you?

        See this is why when it comes to business while age doesn't matter most 25 yr olds and under, heads are somewhere else not on the prize. Maybe I read it wrong but the writer lost me, when she wrote as if business wasn't important. So, I'm wondering which company would hire her when she cannot deliver the goods = paying customers.
        Signature
        Use Feeder Sites, Articles, And Social Media Sites To Generate Unstoppable Traffic, FREE! Click Here Now To Get It For FREE
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6701791].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Walter Parrish
          I think we're dealing with probability here lol.
          I'm gearing up for IM next week, in fact taking a little break.
          So, the odds of me finding this thread were weak at best.
          The odds of me finding an article like the one spoken about close to 0.
          The odds of me actually reading it close to 0.

          But lets say I read the first few sentences the part where she talks about older
          folks doing business or something like that and how the younger know the social tools and socialize - I WOULD HAVE STOPPED READING THERE.

          Hire Her or her readers based on whats in the article? I'll be nice.
          She needs to learn Business and get some real Experience.
          Signature
          Use Feeder Sites, Articles, And Social Media Sites To Generate Unstoppable Traffic, FREE! Click Here Now To Get It For FREE
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6701822].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author contentwriting360
    Banned
    Age is just a number. The ability to create and execute S.M.A.R.T.E.R. goals is what makes an Internet Marketer.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6701552].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author stong
    The specificity of the ways in which the method should be used is usually beyond them, however. The typically tired commercial statements or aggressively slang-imitating phrases companies tend to use on their sites do not match the witty, honest, energetic atmosphere these social media outlets offer.
    Sounds like a passage right out of a college essay. :p

    Here's what I think:

    1.) The point she was probably trying to make is that the younger generation is more adept at using social media 'as intended'. Some companies do look quite silly with their stilted corporate speak on Twitter or Facebook.

    2.) However, the delivery of that point is terrible to say the least. She comes through as arrogant and ignorant, which is the exact thing that many people have an issue with.

    3.) The article is a decent example of a successful linkbait, if it's ever intended to be one. Great hook in the headline, provocative topic in the main content. First few sentences are rather bumpy, needs better paragraphing for web publishing, but otherwise decently written.

    4.) Although structurally sound for the most part, the planning is incredibly short-sighted. Sure, she's got lots of links and views and opinions, but if it all existed solely to mock her inexperience and naivete, what use would it all be at the end? It's like getting 1000 visitors to your site everyday while achieving a 99% bounce rate; you're getting all the attention, but nobody's buying it.

    In conclusion:

    Good linkbait example, bad topic/content. Maybe a 5/10 for effort.
    Signature
    Need a writer? Click here to get content that you'd be proud to have...
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6701585].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author afin
    a very good friend of thinking, and writing are very good.

    regards
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6701640].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author afin
    a very good friend of thinking, and writing are very good.

    regards
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6701646].message }}
  • Never too old to learn
    Signature

    Online Profits Made Easyhttp://www.onlineprofitsmadeeasy.com

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6701648].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author lollobrigida
    IMHO Linkbait is a legitimate way to generate traffic and (even more) free backlinks... and this one seems to have worked out. The three ingredients that fLufF named and that did the trick can be summed up as "creating controversy". It even works here.

    This might not be the way to go for a brick and mortar business trying to gain visibility or respect ...and the technique might not be for everyone (as it takes some creativity and is not very predictable) ...but it's still very effective.

    @fLufF: I like your take on the story and I enjoy your language
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6701775].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Trevor
    Linkbait is one of the most misunderstood concepts in SEO. What you should do to create a linkbait (an article or a piece of content that gets backlinks the natural way) is, you should sound exactly as the writer of the article Fluff has shared with us did.

    That means, be arrogant, original, unscrupulous, don't hesitate to get out of the shadows with your opinions, be open to critique and have no fear of fully expressing your mind and yelling out your word.

    The natural response to an article written that way is, many people will unknowingly create backlinks for it spreading the word about it. They may hate you for being the author of the article, but the strategy works.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6701813].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author eugenedm
    There is no age limit when it comes to internet marketing. Anyone can do this if they want to bad enough. Young people are familiar with the technology but older people have experience so anyone can be involved with internet marketing.
    Signature

    WARNING: A 50 Million Dollar Man Taught Me His Secret... Which Resulted 6,000 Sign-ups on My Email List.

    "It's easier than you think..."

    => Watch this video here...
    Build Your List to 6,000 Subscribers

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6701819].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Will Edwards
    Good post Fluff.

    You can very easily see how the article has done it's job even with some of the replies above seeming to still miss the point.

    It is an excellent piece of link-bait as you said; not an excellent article.

    Will
    Signature
    Money-Making Rebrandable Books - Free for a Limited Period!

    Click Here to Get Yours
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6701955].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author HeySal
      Originally Posted by Will Edwards View Post

      Good post Fluff.

      You can very easily see how the article has done it's job even with some of the replies above seeming to still miss the point.

      It is an excellent piece of link-bait as you said; not an excellent article.

      Will
      Which is why young and impatient isn't always the best mix. A more seasoned personality may have been more careful to write something more profoundly quotable. If you've got the skill to gain responses like that, think how something written solidly would have stuck in more ways than the links. She might know link baiting - but she has no clue about branding.
      Signature

      Sal
      When the Roads and Paths end, learn to guide yourself through the wilderness
      Beyond the Path

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6702183].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author drmani
        Originally Posted by HeySal View Post

        She might know link baiting - but she has no clue about branding.
        This! ^^^

        But she WILL learn - she's only 25 (or less)... and when she does,
        watch out. She'll be GREAT!



        All success
        Dr.Mani
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6702718].message }}
        • I enjoyed this comment from CMSWire:

          Now I don't mean to pick on the girl, but does that mean that the people best suited to work in Mobile right now are those who had car phones like the Motorola DynaTAC 8000X, which, when introduced in the 1980's, weighed 28 ounces, was as big as a brick and would run out of juice if a conversation lasted more than an hour?

          I don't think so.


          He also suggests the article was born because the author has been turned down for jobs in social media due to her lack of work experience. In other words, not linkbait but genuine frustration.



          The jury's still out on this one.


          fLufF
          --
          Signature
          Fiverr is looking for freelance writers for its blog. Details here.
          Love microjobs? Work when you want and get paid in cash the same day!
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6709142].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Kay King
            Yet, every time I see a job posting for a Social Media Manager/Associate/etc. and find the employer is looking for five to ten years of direct experience, I wonder why they don’t realize the candidates who are in fact best suited for the position actually aren’t old enough to have that much experience.
            That's just silly. If you aren't old enough to have that much experience and someone else is....they get the job. Welcome to the real world.

            It's like the college grad who thinks he should be promoted to management immediately over "older" employees because his "education is more recent".

            adults in their 40’s who are tweeting with their iPhone apps have no idea that the old way to do it was by texting 40404
            Is that relevant to anything? Why would anyone care about the "old way"?

            If that article is enough to get people heated up - they need to get a life.

            kay
            Signature
            Saving one dog will not change the world - but the world will change forever for that one dog.

            I'm going to work on being less condescending
            (Condescending means to talk down to people)
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6709481].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author ksmusselman
        I guess she (or he or it) missed the recent poem on Facebook that I shared. It's really cute - especially if you're a Grandma like me (I even tagged my grandson when I shared it! LOL):


        The computer swallowed Grandma,
        Yes, honestly it's true!
        She pressed 'control and 'enter'
        And disappeared from view.
        It devoured her completely,
        The thought just makes me squirm.
        She must have caught a virus
        Or been eaten by a worm.
        I've searched through the recycle bin
        And files of every kind;
        I've even used the Internet,
        But nothing did I find.
        In desperation, I asked Mr. Google
        My searches to refine.
        The reply from him was negative,
        Not a thing was found 'online.'
        So, if inside your 'Inbox,'
        My Grandma you should see,
        Please 'Copy, Scan' and 'Paste' her,
        And send her back to me.

        This is a tribute to all the Grandmas & Grandpas, Nannas & Pops,
        who have been fearless and learned to use the Computer.........
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

        We do not stop playing because we grow old;
        We grow old because we stop playing ..

        NEVER Be The First To Get Old!
        Signature
        Do You Vape? Submit a Guest Post! SmokersLogicEcigs.com
        Info Blog about Ecigs & Personal Vaporizers
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6709783].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author cashp0wer
        Well I guess I should quit now even though I am a very highly successful Internet Marketer and I am of retirement age! Gasp!! I don't believe in age - it doesn't matter when you start something if you really want to learn it you can do it.
        Signature
        My Internet Marketing Blog - Warts And All!
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6709895].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Cutthroat
        I recently turned 30... maybe the author of that article isn't aware of the fact social media existed in different forms way before Facebook got big. Myspace was big before that, and LiveJournal before that. Chat rooms, forums, and Yahoo Groups were big before that. Etc, etc, etc.

        I've been using "social media" since the 90's. Don't have to be under 25 to have grown up with social media.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6709905].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author lossman29
        Originally Posted by onSubie View Post



        Mahlon
        Hahaha, The title got me too!!! I opened up the thread so to speak because of the "CATCHY" title.

        Originally Posted by Fraggler View Post

        But you don't know what her strategy is and whether it's flawed. If the website's business is monetising traffic (through on-site advertising) then I'd say there was some success and thought-out planning.

        If the author's goal was to show that a young writer can cause a social buzz then that seems to have worked too. The networking opportunities from that one article must be huge.

        I'll also take a stab that many young writers and marketers agreed with her view and a wise older (or young) businessman may now see that young following as an opportunity to target that demographic.
        I'd have to agree on this. I think we're being too quick to judge without knowing all the details of the campaign behind that particular article. Perhaps, that article was only meant to garner attention and links. If so, then it indeed has been successful.

        Let the mass consumers attack/support the article. As IMers instead of ripping the article apart analyzing the author's writing and her degree etc. , we should rather focus on the positives of how can learn from something like this and apply/spin it to our own businesses. In that regard, the whole link bait observation is an absolutely brilliant one OP. There's always something to learn in everything online.

        Another observation seems to me to be the fact that any outrageous/ out there article related to social media these days will get attention and publicity, further highlighting the importance of social media today and it's importance as a core component in our businesses.

        On a side note though, the title of this thread mentions every marketer should be under 25. That makes me think.

        The sooner one gets into the IM industry, the better. If someone gets into the IM industry at say 18, then you can almost say with certainty that that person will do something substantial by the time they are 25.
        Signature

        "There is light at the end of the tunnel. Have some faith and work hard. ALWAYS."

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6710152].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Rayn
        Thanks to the OP for reminding me to for to maintain a healthy skepticism and not to be drawn in. Except, of course, that I have been. Damn!
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6710633].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Rod Cortez
        Originally Posted by HeySal View Post

        Which is why young and impatient isn't always the best mix. A more seasoned personality may have been more careful to write something more profoundly quotable. If you've got the skill to gain responses like that, think how something written solidly would have stuck in more ways than the links. She might know link baiting - but she has no clue about branding.
        ....nor any clue about positioning which is far more powerful than short-term link baiting.

        RoD
        Signature
        "Your personal philosophy is the greatest determining factor in how your life works out."
        - Jim Rohn
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6712188].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author MovingAround
    She's just an attention whore who got herself a decent amount of followers and FB buddies and now thinks she is a social media guru.

    LOL at BA in English with Creative Writing, I rather take one of those blackhatters who knows his way than one of these college girls who thinks she will take over the world with her creativity and uniqueness, and spent her college years adding everyone on campus to her Twitter and Facebook.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6709208].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author JimDucharme
    From the moment the post went up, the speculation about linkbait started. But many of us in the SM/CM biz jumped in regardless. Certainly (unless they are complete noobs) the editor(s) of the blog knew what this post would bring. As for the author, well, I wouldn't give her too much credit, I suspect this post was more a product of being frustrated as a recent grad and not finding work because of no experience.

    As we used to say in radio: You don't get many callers talking about sunshine and puppies. Today in marketing, people refer to this as "buzz marketing" but it's nothing new as Fluffy pointed out.

    If you want to provoke a response, then provoke strong feelings/emotions. It doesn't have to be negative, but a little controversy goes a long way.

    Regards,
    jim
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6709355].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ShyleyMacFarland
    Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post

    The specificity of the ways in which the method should be used is usually beyond them, however. The typically tired commercial statements or aggressively slang-imitating phrases companies tend to use on their sites do not match the witty, honest, energetic atmosphere these social media outlets offer.

    Huh?

    --
    I not only feel old now...I also feel stupid.

    I double Fluff's Huh?

    I can't help but wonder if that is a paragraph taken from the 20 something year old's dissertation. Surely it wasn't written for the average reader.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6709446].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author kimonerz
    The article is somewhat true.

    When your below 25, almost everybody in your friend group will use social media platforms.

    When your above 25, the more likely you will have friends that don't use social media platforms.

    So who will you hire as a Social Media Marketer with the same amount of experience?

    The person with almost every friend using social media. The friends post a lot of stuff that are trending and are in buzz right now.

    Or, will you hire the person that is above 25, that only has a limited amount of friends using social media and also isn't as active.

    This can vary but the older you get, the less social media friends that you have. Therefore, the less you know how it works.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6709653].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author andrew zirkin
    The world if full of brilliant youth and I do my best to have a variety of age ranges in my companies and also for feedback. They have a unique advantage and another disadvantage. They lack real world exp and often confidence that come later. But at the end of the day look at the length of the discussion, it got our attention so Kudos.
    Signature
    Kindle Success w/o writing Kindle Wealth Formula
    Social Search Mastery Social Wealth Formula
    and Top SEO BrandSEO
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6709659].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Joseph Robinson
    Banned
    3 years left?! Hell, I probably could have squeezed a longer career out of Burger King if I stayed there...
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6709675].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Alexa Smith
      Banned
      Originally Posted by Joe Robinson View Post

      3 years left?! Hell, I probably could have squeezed a longer career out of Burger King if I stayed there...
      Ha ... you youngsters (and your diets!).

      (I'll be 23 before you ).

      Looks like that was your 4,000th post? Congratulations!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6709716].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Joseph Robinson
        Banned
        Originally Posted by Alexa Smith View Post

        Ha ... you youngsters (and your diets!).

        (I'll be 23 before you ).

        Looks like that was your 4,000th post? Congratulations!
        Even most of us youngsters are smart enough to keep BK out of the diet. Oh the things I could say about that place....
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6709726].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author JimDucharme
      Originally Posted by Joe Robinson View Post

      3 years left?! Hell, I probably could have squeezed a longer career out of Burger King if I stayed there...
      OMG Joe! Your palm is flashing red! Start running before Michael York hunts you down!

      Regards,
      jim
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6709738].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Joseph Robinson
        Banned
        Originally Posted by JimDucharme View Post

        OMG Joe! Your palm is flashing red! Start running before Michael York hunts you down!

        Regards,
        jim
        A reference I actually got! Of course, only because they parodied it on Family Guy .

        It still counts!
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6709937].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author BizOpGuru
    It's a fair point although in my opinion hard work, ambition and dedication far outweigh youthful exuberance.

    While younger marketers may have a natural advantage having "grown up with social media" older marketers can often be more experienced in the other areas such as offline marketing and a much more experienced in the niches and fields they operate within.

    Each to their own, but working hard and working smart is always a good recipe for success regardless of age.
    Signature
    Build Money Making Websites Easily With Home Website Builder
    Home Website Builder Reviews @ www.homewebsitebuilderreviews.com
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6709806].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Deepak Media
    Anyone can gain an attention online with shocking controversial headlines. But they should back it up. Else they lose credibility and their next headline will be ignored.
    Signature
    Digital Marketing Author | Speaker | Consultant

    Read my Blog: DigitalDeepak.com

    @ Bangalore, India.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6709819].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author JimDucharme
      I don't think she has anything close to a fair point or reasonable argument.

      She's simply wrong.

      What this lady seems to be missing is that social media didn`t give birth to socializing or networking - it`s exactly the opposite! The very skills which she reserves for those under the age of 25, the very need which drives the revolution of social media, comes from generations of humans who felt the need to communicate and interact - to deal with the human condition we suffer from. That knowledge, that experience is encoded in the very DNA of social media and continues to drive it`s evolution. The human need for communities came long before the first byte of data ever zipped between modems.


      Communities drive the web and without that human need to commune and communicate, we have nothing, but a strip-mall with infinite parking.


      This is why I believe that those who thrive in social media are born and not made. Because the skills which serve one well in social media are derived from the same skills which come in very handy in our very social real world. This is not to say that people can`t learn to be good with social media at work, but I am saying those who are social animals have a natural advantage.


      It`s completely false for her to suggest that older people have simply jumped on the social media bandwagon as the author does in her post - doing so suggests you are an elitist and have a very narrow and uneducated view of history and culture. The web didn`t start people socializing and it certainly did not give birth to communities. In fact, it`s completely the opposite, communities gave birth to it.

      Originally Posted by Deepak Media View Post

      Anyone can gain an attention online with shocking controversial headlines. But they should back it up. Else they lose credibility and their next headline will be ignored.
      And there in lay the problem. Her reaction to the response proved she has no clue about social media and may have torpedoed her career goals in that regard too. She blocked opposing views on twitter and refused (at least as of last time I checked) to even respond to comments on the blog -- those are not the actions of someone who gets social media by nature .
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6709861].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author John Grey
    Banned
    [DELETED]
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6709940].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Cutthroat
      Originally Posted by John Grey View Post

      The main reason is that most of the 25+ yo people are still thinking like "dinosaur"... internet or even a pc is not instinctive to them, it's something they have to learn, they expect rules and directions as they've been told to in school. Understanding this fact, they won't give you intuitif innovation but will always lag behind trying to catch up with the new. Some even don't understand how an innovation can change a perspective if done that way rather then another one, and how social media can RULE and make them a living when done the right way.
      25+ yo needs directions and fixed plans. Not something that changes every months or days.
      Utter nonsense. In the mid 90's when I was in 6th grade I was taking multimedia computer classes at middle school and learning how to program, animate, and build web sites.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6709974].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author jerry310
        Originally Posted by Cutthroat View Post

        Utter nonsense. In the mid 90's when I was in 6th grade I was taking multimedia computer classes at middle school and learning how to program, animate, and build web sites.
        i agree as I was in the same boat myself
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6710045].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Walter Parrish
      Originally Posted by John Grey View Post

      The main reason is that most of the 25+ yo people are still thinking like "dinosaur"... internet or even a pc is not instinctive to them, it's something they have to learn, they expect rules and directions as they've been told to in school. Understanding this fact, they won't give you intuitif innovation but will always lag behind trying to catch up with the new. Some even don't understand how an innovation can change a perspective if done that way rather then another one, and how social media can RULE and make them a living when done the right way.
      25+ yo needs directions and fixed plans. Not something that changes every months or days.
      Let me say first I really don't think any of this has to do with age.
      One thing a person over the age of 25 has is experience. I think someone else already touched on the fact that it's still dealing with communities and people.
      Don't assume, because someone is older they haven't been around or know the technology. Some of my associates wrote the technology lol. That's right you wouldn't even be on the net if it weren't for us writing, using and testing the technology you use daily.

      Now, as someone in their late 40's I will tell you where you went wrong. It's the Basics that make you successful, and Nothing really changes. So, as an older person all I needed to grasp the new IM was to know the new way of doing the Basics.

      In the older days search engine optimization was nothing, but creating a doorway page, working on your metatags, and adding a few affiliate offers you signed up for through Commission Junction or Linkshare. The other goal was to offer some type of affiliate program of your own. Today I see younger people doing the first part, but not to many creating their own affiliate programs, which to me means most miss the boat.

      And to tell you the truth one of the biggest mistakes younger people make is thinking that things always change, looking for the new gismo of the day instead of sticking to the basics. Word of mouth, backlinks, writing, blogging, article writing, forum signature all fall under the basics. Then you won't have to worry about google.

      I've read what a lot of young people have said about not making money and being in IM for years and as an older person I'm stomped, because when I started out with little effort at all and a list of just 5 people I made 60 bucks in under 30days and this month it's looking like 200 bucks and I haven't even started yet lol. I'm still in the learning process. And when I say learning process and already know enough to teach people what the guru's teach, in fact older marketers come to me for answers now. So, I will say age is just a number and anyone who can learn the basics and apply them can prosper.

      Don't get me wrong though the kids do know a lot of what the latest tech is, but what they don't know is that not all of that is needed only the basics, a foundation.
      Signature
      Use Feeder Sites, Articles, And Social Media Sites To Generate Unstoppable Traffic, FREE! Click Here Now To Get It For FREE
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6710604].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Michael Oksa
      Originally Posted by John Grey View Post

      The main reason is that most of the 25+ yo people are still thinking like "dinosaur"... internet or even a pc is not instinctive to them, it's something they have to learn, they expect rules and directions as they've been told to in school. Understanding this fact, they won't give you intuitif innovation but will always lag behind trying to catch up with the new. Some even don't understand how an innovation can change a perspective if done that way rather then another one, and how social media can RULE and make them a living when done the right way.
      25+ yo needs directions and fixed plans. Not something that changes every months or days.
      This is my favorite response so far. Why? Because it does such a fantastic job of arguing against the premise of the article.



      All the best,
      Michael
      Signature

      "Ich bin en fuego!"
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6711194].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author mileagedriver
    I think experience is the best teacher. I'm 30 now and making good(not a big money) in internet marketing. The reason to enter 25 is, at least they can win or make it success by 30 or 35

    Early bird wins the bread...though old concept..its good for business !!
    Signature

    Branded mosquito net from Phifer

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6709970].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author RossVegas
    I don't agree with this. I am under 25 but I think there are plenty of older people who have mastered social media just as well as the young guns.

    It's like all the other forms of marketing out there. No matter what age you are some are better than others. Someone who is 60 might be better simply for the fact that they've studied it more.

    Hiring someone under 25 might be a good strategy for the future of the company but might not bring the best results immediately. Give and take i guess
    Signature

    Basketballs newest award/memorabilia sensation is now accepting affiliates.
    Check out the product----> http://www.minibackboards.com
    {DM me if you would like to be an affiliate}

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6710249].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author denysapu
    Who knows that Im is 19 lol
    (but Im not internet marketer )
    Signature

    Don't worry be happy!

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6710464].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Pattie Roberts
    If you are online and "out of sight" it doesn't matter whether you are 25 or 75. What matters is how you make the best use of the internet and what your contribution is.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6710646].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author R Hagel
    She should really leave viral marketing to the people who invented it and grew up with it (which isn't her age group, by the way).



    Cheers,
    Becky
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6710693].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Wade32
    Fluff, you just wasted everyone's time. Now you are promoting posts about why you should be under 25 to be an Internet marketer? Just last week you told me that people under35 shouldn't be an Internet marketer!! Lol

    Fluff you are so fUnNy
    Signature
    Get Free Social Media Psychology Updates in Your Email
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6710724].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author denysapu
      Originally Posted by Wade32 View Post

      Fluff, you just wasted everyone's time. Now you are promoting posts about why you should be under 25 to be an Internet marketer? Just last week you told me that people under35 shouldn't be an Internet marketer!! Lol

      Fluff you are so fUnNy
      You remember it? lol
      Signature

      Don't worry be happy!

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6715454].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Casiveo
    I can't wait for a pre-teen rebuttal: If you're 25, you're too old: you probably grew up with a desktop and keyboard. Only WE are the true mobile generation.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6710756].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author marjwyatt
    I read the post at Next Gen Journal ... and the comments. Of course, the premise of the author's article is insane and may commenters agreed with me.

    I can't argue with this statement of hers, however:

    "The key is that we learned to use social media socially before professionally, rather than vice versa or simultaneously."

    Regardless, her idea that anyone over 25 was/is incapable of understanding how to use social media to establish relationships and make new friends is absurd.

    As I was reading her justifications, I was reminded of a controversial movie that I saw in 1969 entitled Wild in the Streets. (Yep. Way back then, 20-somethings believed they knew more about the world than the old folks too. )

    Here is a summary of that movie's plotline:

    "Max Flatow is a precocious, social miscreant who has a way with home-made explosives. When he tires of these, he runs away from home only to emerge seven years later as Max Frost, the world's most popular entertainer. When Congressman John Fergus uses Frost as a political ploy to gain the youth vote in his run for the Senate, Frost wills himself into the system, gaining new rights for the young. Eventually, Frost runs for the presidency. Winning in a landslide, he issues his first presidential edict: All oldsters are required to live in "retirement homes" where they are forced to ingest LSD, taking the 60s catch phrase "Never trust anyone over 30" to its most extreme consequences."

    Spoiler alert:

    The movie character's run for office was successful, and he implemented his strategies for containing and controlling old folks but, in the end, it turned against him. He realized this when he heard the refrain being called from the streets:

    "Never trust anyone over 14"

    I'm a firm believer that my age does not grant me greater knowledge. I've learned very valuable things from people much younger than me. Likewise, people much younger than me have learned valuable things from me. That is how things work, when people aren't stuck in their own story.
    Signature

    Marj Wyatt aka Virtually Marj
    Business Success Blog
    WordPress Website Design

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6710791].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author JimDucharme
      Originally Posted by marjwyatt View Post

      I read the post at Next Gen Journal ... and the comments. Of course, the premise of the author's article is insane and may commenters agreed with me.

      I can't argue with this statement of hers, however:

      "The key is that we learned to use social media socially before professionally, rather than vice versa or simultaneously."
      When I read the post a week ago, the first thing that hit me was that she could only arrive at such a conclusion if she was rationalizing or had very little life experience (specific to her as an individual and not her age) and done almost no research for her artilce.

      We all grew up socializing. We learned most of what we need to learn about socializing before we passed grade two. Whether you saw social media as a social tool or a business tool had as much to do with you as an individual as it did with your age. Mark Zuckerberg was 21 when he created Facebook at college for fun and 2 years later launched it as a business. He built FB from the inspriation of the analog universe. And I would also point out that most of FB features are derived from previous technology such as this very forum, BBS, IM and other technology that many of us were using long ago.

      Even worse, she's suggesting that the only reason adults use social media is for business and that's simply false. I don't know about anyone else here, but I used social media for socializing first then for business.

      I suspect her next post will marvel at the idea that anyone over 30 still has sex.

      She's generalizing and engaging it what can only be labled as "ageism" -- Let's see her write about how some particular ethnic group is less capable with social media and see how that goes over .

      Regards,
      jim
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6715700].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author awesome786
    I didn't like the title "Why Every Internet Marketer Should Be Under 25"
    I think anyone can become a internet marketer but internet marketing is combination of too many things so if any person have knowledge about one specific subject then he will be counted within internet marketer group.Age doesn't matter.Thanks
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6710868].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author R Hagel
      Originally Posted by awesome786 View Post

      I didn't like the title "Why Every Internet Marketer Should Be Under 25"
      I think anyone can become a internet marketer but internet marketing is combination of too many things so if any person have knowledge about one specific subject then he will be counted within internet marketer group.Age doesn't matter.Thanks
      Thank you for very carefully reading the original post, the link in the post and all the replies. Your well-thought-out comments are much appreciated.

      Becky



      (Sorry, awesome786, just teasin' ya)
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6710985].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author OPTIMUSMKTG
    That title is so ridiculous it's hilarious.

    Sure, today's generation is growing up with social media, but that doesn't equate to success as an internet marketer/entrepreneur. Kids aren't going to learn professionalism and business acumen through Google, Social Media, or any other online avenue. Those skills come from acquiring an education and through many years of work experience. Hence, in my view, the most successful internet marketers are going to be 20 something, 30 something, 40 something, etc., well-rounded individuals.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6711371].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Anomalous
    It takes someone under 25 to believe they are in anyway superior to people 10, 20, or 30 years older than them.

    I am 36, and I grew up on dial-up bulletin board systems that existed before internet access was available in everyone's home.

    The social networking principles that existed then still exist today; it is simply a larger, flashier medium than it was before.

    Younger people absolutely do not have the advantages this author seems to think they do. Wishful thinking.


    Posted from Warriorforum.com App for Android
    Signature

    Build a MASSIVE list with this premade, highly optimized funnel plus $16 front-end commissions

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6711567].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Walter Parrish
      Originally Posted by Anomalous View Post

      It takes someone under 25 to believe they are in anyway superior to people 10, 20, or 30 years older than them.

      I am 36, and I grew up on dial-up bulletin board systems that existed before internet access was available in everyone's home.

      The social networking principles that existed then still exist today; it is simply a larger, flashier medium than it was before.

      Younger people absolutely do not have the advantages this author seems to think they do. Wishful thinking.


      Posted from Warriorforum.com App for Android
      finally someone who knows what a bbs was
      Walters BBS here . . .

      Now tell me RIP Graphics or gif graphics which one wins?
      lol
      Signature
      Use Feeder Sites, Articles, And Social Media Sites To Generate Unstoppable Traffic, FREE! Click Here Now To Get It For FREE
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6712929].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author netfisher
    Linkbait. I like that. Isn't writing in general designed to stir the emotions? Either good or bad, good article or terrible, she(?) has people posting.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6711856].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author cjreynolds
      Originally Posted by netfisher View Post

      Linkbait. I like that. Isn't writing in general designed to stir the emotions? Either good or bad, good article or terrible, she(?) has people posting.
      In Hollywood (aka "La-La Land") publicity is publicity, good or bad.

      In the real world, your words come back to haunt you....
      Signature

      I just added this sig so I can refer to it in my posts...

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6712170].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Zoey Kates
    This does sound convincing, but goes against fact.The gr8 IMers i know are all in their 30s.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6712296].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author MyiMall
    People like Rush Limbaugh and Ann Coulter have made entire careers out of saying things that a large percentage of the population agrees with wholeheartedly - while another large percentage disagrees with entirely - and being completely unapologetic about it. It's a very clever way to get people talking (aka "buzz"). No doubt - as soon as this post stops getting retweeted, linked to, etc., another will follow.

    Though I think I have shoes older than 25 (and thus disagree with the premise) - I say "bravo" for getting people to take notice!
    Signature

    Help Small Business Owners while making a recurring income for yourself - truly "win/win"! https://ILikeSmallBiz.com/affiliate-program
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6712972].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author tremayne
    Paaardon me! I apologize for being 78.
    Signature

    CEO
    Wealthy Investor Limited
    http://wealthyinvestorweekly.com

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6713022].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author wordpressmania
    I was thinking when I will be older no one will be valued me as marketer..... If it is the situation I will just keep my eye closed and will do what I love to do........ Damm thesis....

    P.S. Just my thought I am not refusing the thesis...
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6713070].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author alexdan4
    in my opinion it has nothing to do with age. even if they grow up using social media.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6713127].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Jeff Burritt
    Banned
    Looks like it's working for you

    And, by the way, I just love your wf name. Memorable. But also, anything with the word fluffy in it grabs my attention somehow.

    But seriously, good points. Thanks for sharing.

    -Jeff
    aka "Fluffy Maybe"


    Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post

    A little over a week ago, a provocative article was posted to the nextgen journal:


    Writers: Learn to create this stuff and make some money.

    fLufF
    --
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6715734].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author TerranceCharles
    I can agree with that. I started marketing at age 15 where I made my 1st commission check. The younger, the hungrier and the more creative.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6959205].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author greenowl123
    Is the author of the article referring to Facebook fans, Twitter followers, MySpace friends, etc. where most of them are young college students, recent grads, drop outs, high school kids and RARELY buy anything because they are broke or still living at home or moved back in with Mom and Dad ?

    Yeah... I MUST learn to master social media soon !
    Signature
    Free 40-page eBook "How To Earn With CPA Offers"
    + 14 Free Traffic Training Videos -
    Click here now. (no opt-in required)

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6959216].message }}

Trending Topics