I have been using this simple strategy for the past few months and I have had to network with some big guys in the industry. This may also work for you.
1) First, identify someone to connect with (I connect mostly with bloggers)
2) Go to his/her blog and grab the latest post
3) Go to any link shortener of my choice and shorten the url
4) Go to any retweet site (EasyRetweet.com,Retweet.it,adretweet.com)
5) Add the blog post (I just copy and past the post title and the article link)
6) Add @hisTwitterHandle via @myTwitterHanlde
This will generates (usually) more than 100 retweets in 24 hours mentioning the guy I want to connect with. Generally, they will tweet thanking me and opening the door for more conversation.
It's a huge opportunity to connect with great guys in your industry. Just try this out and let's see the results