How often do you use quotations when you write?

17 replies
Hi Warriors

Personally I like reading quotations, they get to the point and are easy to remember. I especially like the ones from well known people that I admire for their contribution to society.

However just because I like them it doesn't mean that I should force them into content I write at every opportunity, or does it?

I would like to know how often you use quotations, if at all?

What about if you are a freelance writer, do your clients have any qualms about the use of quotations?

Additionally do you make sure the author/source of the quotation is part of the same niche or is relevant in some other way.

Thanks
#quotations #write
  • Profile picture of the author PsycFa
    As long as the quotations are relevant to the articles being written; I would use them but normally I use them only in the introductory part of the topic. It adds more relevancy and weight to the article..

    Nevertheless some articles i read are made up of mostly quotes from other peoples; its a sort of curation they've done.. But from my opinion; if you are looking for proper article that will entertain your readers; don't go with the "curation type" articles..

    Unless you are using it to get more traffic..
    Signature

    The aim of marketing is to make selling superfluous. The aim of marketing is to know and understand the customer so well that the product or service fits him and sells itself.....

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6732648].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ConnorMcCreesh
    I would say it is a good idea to use them if they add to the quality and flow of your content. Don't just stuff them in because you feel you should.


    Posted from Warrior Forum Reader for Android
    Signature
    Hopper, The Instagram Scheduling Tool - Established Tech Startup with 1500+ Users.

    Hopper Affiliate Program: 15% Recurring Monthly Commissions. Thoroughly tested sales funnel. $10-$250+ Product Sales Prices.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6732662].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author tylerd4
    I usually use quotations in my articles because it helps me to make the articles solid...
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6732679].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Ninja Ana
    I love using quotations, especially at the start of every chapter. Beats a long introduction.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6732858].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author JohnMcCabe
      Originally Posted by Martin Pupke View Post

      However just because I like them it doesn't mean that I should force them into content I write at every opportunity, or does it?
      I don't believe you should force anything into your writing at every opportunity just for the sake of having it there. If they fit and they aid in communication, put them in. Otherwise, leave them out.

      Originally Posted by Martin Pupke View Post

      I would like to know how often you use quotations, if at all?
      I'll use them any time doing so will make one of my points better than I can make it myself. I do try to limit myself to one or two per article, or one per chapter, as another poster mentioned.

      Originally Posted by Martin Pupke View Post

      Additionally do you make sure the author/source of the quotation is part of the same niche or is relevant in some other way.
      I don't worry about whether the source is in a given niche, but relevance is essential.

      My comments are about what most people consider "quotations" -

      "I did not fight my way to the top of the food chain to eat tofu." -JohnMcCabe
      Other excerpts, like passages from a book or magazine, I'll use any time they'll help me prove a point or get my message across, within the bounds of fair use and proper credit where due.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6734059].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author webalfie
    Quotations are a great thing to use for backing up claims in your copy.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6734153].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Alexa Smith
    Banned
    Originally Posted by Martin Pupke View Post

    I would like to know how often you use quotations, if at all?
    I have an extravagant enthusiasm for them and use them perhaps slightly more often than I ought to. It's rare for me to produce a complete article without one.

    I try to stick to very well-known things (or at least very well-known people).

    Originally Posted by Martin Pupke View Post

    Additionally do you make sure the author/source of the quotation is part of the same niche or is relevant in some other way.
    No, not at all. If anything slightly the opposite: I try to take something with no apparent connection at all, and then show the reader how it's actually relevant. Especially if I think I can make it amusing.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6734196].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Martin Pupke
      Originally Posted by Alexa Smith View Post

      Especially if I think I can make it amusing.
      Thanks for that bit it gave me a really good idea for injecting some well placed joke/laughter into my content (which I am increasing leaning is important for the type of content I want to write).

      There are a bunch of times where I feel that it is ironic or notable when quoting a particular person because of the point I am making. However I never thought to use humor in reference to the person I am quoting.

      I think in some cases it might be a good idea to quote a person from a particular profession if you can make a funny connection to that profession in the context of the writing. Then it would be a case of searching out a quote through some research, don't know if this is going over the top. :-)
      Signature

      "The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool" - Richard Feynman

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6734775].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Randall Magwood
    I use quotations all the time... sometimes even in my titles.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6735061].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author myob
      Using quotations often gives meaning and adds sparkle to my writing, even if they're unanimous.

      "Used effectively, quotations can provide important pieces of evidence and lend fresh voices and perspectives to your narrative. Used ineffectively, however, quotations clutter your text and interrupt the flow of your argument."

      - The Writing Center
      University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
      College of Arts and Sciences
      Signature
      “If I have seen further than others, it is by standing upon the shoulders of giants.” – Isaac Newton
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6735570].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author easternodyssey
    Well in writing quotations should be used in either quoting something or names etc. Generally speaking unless you are concerned about a breach of copyright you should not really have to worry about using quotations. However, all good journalists or writers always use quotations when needed, so it is wise to use the quotation marks as you come of looking a little more professional.
    Signature
    Eastern Odyssey | The Definitive Guide to Asia
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6736171].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author seobro
    I like quotations from big names. Also, to use proverbs and sayings. Well, it makes the copy seem "folksy" to me. Also, it swells the character count in our copy.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6736220].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author eibhlin
    I like quotations as "pause and think" cues, especially in long articles. In a short article, I might add the quotation at the foot of the article, as the curtain-closer (theatre reference).

    I tend to write and write. I forget that, in real conversations, I'd pause. I'd give the person time to think about what I'd said, and reply or say, "Good idea. I'll go try that, now."

    In the field of podcasts, people often recommend keeping the pauses -- to breath, take a sip of water, or whatever -- in the podcast. It's more natural and provides empathy with your audience.

    For that same reason, I think it's good to provide mental and visual breaks in a blog (or long article) with quotations or graphics, if you can.

    This is one of those "do what I say, not what I do" recommendations. As you may have seen around the WF, I tend to write & write & write. It's probably mind-numbing for some readers.

    However, I think quotations can be a useful and important part of natural writing.
    Signature
    Artist, blogger, and author of a bazillion books, more or less. Find me at Eibhlin.com
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6737428].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Kragsig
    If I write about a topic where somebody already said something genious. Writing about 2 WW is hard without quotating Roosevelt or Goebbels... I think it underlines the article is professional
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6737436].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author wordpressmania
    I normally do not write quotations while writing articles. If needed surely I will find a quotations that is relevant to the topics that I am writing.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6737805].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Pakblogger2012
    I use them very less ,but I think I should use them more to grab attention of readers to particular lines.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6737825].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Martin Pupke
    @ eibhlin I like the "pause and think" point you made. Sometimes it's good to break up the flow of an article and what better way to do it than a quotation.

    I never considered ending an article on a quotation before. I like the idea, leaves the reader with something short and snappy to remember at the end.
    Signature

    "The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool" - Richard Feynman

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6758280].message }}

Trending Topics