Nothing Like A Success Story

34 replies
So about three weeks ago my girlfriends step dad lost her job, and like anyone he started to freak about what he was going to do. He was pretty high up in the IT field so knew computers and a little about online, but nothing about IM. I told him not to worry, I would help him supplement his income. This was the first time, I actually sat down and "mentored" someone if you will.

So far its been 3 weeks and he has 5 adsense pages up and running and making $25 per day. Not to shabby I'd say. Here's what I told him

1. Buy an autoblog/domain name so we dont need to build a page
2. Pay an seo expert to get us 3-4 keywords listed on the first page of google
3. Occasionally update your autoblog
4. Rinse and repeat

He thought I was crazy when I told him that I wanted him to spend money to make money, but fact is if you dont know how to do it yourself somebody does. Use them to your advantage.
My favorite business quote: "Do only what your good at, and nothing more". Well im good at spending money lol.

Hope this inspires some to take the first step into the IM world, feel free to PM me for any advice
#story #success
  • Profile picture of the author DWaters
    I am curious - what did the "SEO expert" do to get the keywords listed on page one of Google?
    What sort of linkbuilding is taking place?

    Since you entitled this Nothing Like a Succes Story, I assume that after 3 weeks he has seen some income.
    Signature
    How I really Make Money With Amazon

    Want to get rich with top rated FREE Super Affiliate Training?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6795089].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author jpsween88
      Originally Posted by DWaters View Post

      I am curious - what did the "SEO expert" do to get the keywords listed on page one of Google?
      What sort of linkbuilding is taking place?

      Since you entitled this Nothing Like a Succes Story, I assume that after 3 weeks he has seen some income.
      I have found a seo expert through freelancer and have done multiple work with her. She is the expert, so I honestly dont ask questions. I've always seen results. He has not yet seen a check due to adsenses payout rules, but he has an account with about $130 in it now
      Signature

      Please do not use your signature to promote affiliate/MLM programs

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6795133].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Kal Sallam
    Good stuff man!

    What was his reaction when the $ started to roll in?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6795108].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author jpsween88
      Originally Posted by Kal Sallam View Post

      Good stuff man!

      What was his reaction when the $ started to roll in?

      He couldn't believe that it was real. I told him that was exactly what I thought when I first started to get the hang of things. It just shows that anyone can do this with the right information & dedication. Nothing he did was hard ... considering he paid someone to do all the dirty work
      Signature

      Please do not use your signature to promote affiliate/MLM programs

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6795144].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author imageworx
    I'm more curious what he had to pay initially and ongoing in SEO Fees to get the rankings
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6795167].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author jpsween88
      Originally Posted by imageworx View Post

      I'm more curious what he had to pay initially and ongoing in SEO Fees to get the rankings
      Total investment was $1100 USD.

      $1000 for SEO work (200 * 5 sites)
      $100 for the 5 autoblogs & domain
      I let him host on my hosting company free of charge to help

      -I advised him to spend about another $50 on articles for the blogs to update weekly
      Signature

      Please do not use your signature to promote affiliate/MLM programs

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6795197].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Randall Magwood
    Good thing he was in the IT field before entering IM. Some people outside of IT dont know how to check their email in Outlook.
    Signature

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6796045].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author theory expert
    Banned
    According to my calculation he'll have his ROI in a 45 days? My question is what happens in month 2? How much more will be needed to be spent to keep things maintained, or, better yet better!

    Unless you mean $25 per site?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6796072].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author jpsween88
      Originally Posted by theory expert View Post

      According to my calculation he'll have his ROI in a 45 days? My question is what happens in month 2? How much more will be needed to be spent to keep things maintained, or, better yet better!

      Unless you mean $25 per site?
      As of right now its about $5 per site so a total of $25 but that is still $750 monthly. We all know that with SEO you can stay in Google 1st page for a long time or a very short time. I am in the process of teaching him how to track his pages and how to go about keeping his potions up to make money. My seo expert however will update the keywords for a smaller fee since the site is not brand new and should not need as much work.

      It was all about finding the right people/connections for my success
      Signature

      Please do not use your signature to promote affiliate/MLM programs

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6796114].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author theory expert
        Banned
        Originally Posted by jpsween88 View Post

        As of right now its about $5 per site so a total of $25 but that is still $750 monthly. We all know that with SEO you can stay in Google 1st page for a long time or a very short time. I am in the process of teaching him how to track his pages and how to go about keeping his potions up to make money. My seo expert however will update the keywords for a smaller fee since the site is not brand new and should not need as much work.

        It was all about finding the right people/connections for my success
        I guess my question is the seo expert still needs to be paid. At what point will the profits of those efforts come in....

        Money is being made, but, there is no profit. Your seo expert will need more money in 45 days or sooner. That is more money going out. Articles, even more money going out. You haven't exactly given me the projections for actual returns on all monies going out. :rolleyes:
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6800295].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author mosthost
    Sounds like a short-lived 'plan' if ever I heard one. Good luck, though
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6800305].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author talfighel
    The big problem with MANY people online is that they don't want to spend any money for anything. They rather spend that money on eating out then spending it on their future. I learned in the past few years that if someone say that to you that they don't want to spend any money, you pretty much have to ignore them and move on. These are not the people who are willing to do what ever it takes to succeed online with their business.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6800340].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author mosthost
      Originally Posted by talfighel View Post

      The big problem with MANY people online is that they don't want to spend any money for anything. They rather spend that money on eating out then spending it on their future. I learned in the past few years that if someone say that to you that they don't want to spend any money, you pretty much have to ignore them and move on. These are not the people who are willing to do what ever it takes to succeed online with their business.
      This guy spent money on two things that could be rendered worthless overnight. 1) autoblogs and 2) SEO.

      People should be worried about spending money to make money online, since these are expenses and not investments.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6800355].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author kaizerinfo
        Originally Posted by mosthost View Post

        This guy spent money on two things that could be rendered worthless overnight. 1) autoblogs and 2) SEO.

        People should be worried about spending money to make money online, since these are expenses and not investments.

        It's not a problem at all. Both,autoblog and seo not worthless, if google even will ban it, autoblogs still can be conected to twitter,facebook and so on,where he can have followers. Also,there are other searchengines ,not google only.
        So,it's good plan,but expensive,because for 1000$, you can create 100 autoblogs,wich will earn money,without any seo expert.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6802502].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author jpsween88
        Originally Posted by mosthost View Post

        This guy spent money on two things that could be rendered worthless overnight. 1) autoblogs and 2) SEO.

        People should be worried about spending money to make money online, since these are expenses and not investments.
        Since you seem to be the biggest critic here, what would you have recommended?
        Signature

        Please do not use your signature to promote affiliate/MLM programs

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6803148].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author grover69
    That is awesome. But yeah, skip the autoblogs.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6800676].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Mosa
      I noticed your sig sells SEO services. So were you his "SEO provider"?
      Signature
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6800747].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author DubDubDubDot
        Originally Posted by Mosa View Post

        I noticed your sig sells SEO services. So were you his "SEO provider"?
        Obviously.

        Here's a hint for some of you: virtually every "success story" posted to any forum is creative spam. That isn't to say legit success stories don't exist, but they rarely get posted to forums and they always involve far more work than the "total newbie rakes in the cash with no skills" posts you see all over. He has lowered the bar on this one to $25 a day to help get by the smell test, but it's still an obvious fake.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6802718].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author gcbmark20
    Hope he makes enough to make up for losing his job salary.

    It just goes to show that anything is possible online.

    I suppose he his using his redundancy money to pay the SEO lady?

    All the best & tell him good luck from me!!!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6800770].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author sav
    Nice story. I'm guessing you scored some brownie points with the girlfriend too.
    Signature
    http://almostpeter.com
    My Personal Blog. Check it out, you'll get addicted :)
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6800879].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author MovingAround
    I'm curious about a few things that I'd like to know if you could clarify (not saying that you have made up this story to get people PMing you so that you can "recommend" in private the services from the made up story )

    1) Doesn't G take a few days to approve a website for Adsense (which means that the guy in your story probably had about 2 weeks of actual income generation.

    2) Doesn't it take more than a 3 weeks to rank for keywords that would bring in $25 a day? Unless you found some magic golden keywords (which I doubt since you are autoblogging).

    3) Last I recall, autoblogs need to grab a lot of content to be generating any decent amount of traffic. This takes quite some work and time, and Google will still takes a long time to index your website, especially if it is an autoblog due to spam concerns (which also goes to point 2, takes long to rank for keywords).

    I am just curious about your story. Would welcome if you could clarify the points
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6801013].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author mosthost
    This really is 'nothing like a success story.'
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6801079].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author usainbolt
    Banned
    I'm sure he'll be a good father in law one day
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6801829].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author jpsween88
    So a lot of people are starting to criticize this post & that's fine. IM brings a lot of skeptics.

    To answer a few questions:
    1. No I was not the SEO provider. The link in my sig is simply a site that I own myself and outsource the work so it has nothing to do with this
    2. Like any site you can not be guaranteed to make a profit, but he is starting to earn income. Yes after 45 days or so he may need to do some more SEO work, but that doesn't mean he will lose everything in adsense. All business's have expenses, & this is what has been successful for me so I'd appreciate it if you stop attacking me.
    3. I am not the SEO expert, so honestly I don't know how she does it - All i know is thanks to her i went from making $0 online to living off.
    4. I recommended the autoblog simply so he had a template, we are not scraping articles from the internet to look relevant that is why I suggested to buy new articles

    Hopefully, some people enjoyed reading this. For you others, maybe next time you could just close the page
    Signature

    Please do not use your signature to promote affiliate/MLM programs

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6803123].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Mosa
      Originally Posted by jpsween88 View Post

      So a lot of people are starting to criticize this post & that's fine. IM brings a lot of skeptics.

      To answer a few questions:
      1. No I was not the SEO provider. The link in my sig is simply a site that I own myself and outsource the work so it has nothing to do with this
      2. Like any site you can not be guaranteed to make a profit, but he is starting to earn income. Yes after 45 days or so he may need to do some more SEO work, but that doesn't mean he will lose everything in adsense. All business's have expenses, & this is what has been successful for me so I'd appreciate it if you stop attacking me.
      3. I am not the SEO expert, so honestly I don't know how she does it - All i know is thanks to her i went from making $0 online to living off.
      4. I recommended the autoblog simply so he had a template, we are not scraping articles from the internet to look relevant that is why I suggested to buy new articles

      Hopefully, some people enjoyed reading this. For you others, maybe next time you could just close the page

      I wasn't trying to criticize you, so I apologize if it appeared that way. But anyway, now i'm curious as to why you didn't offer him your services...
      Signature
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6803195].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author jpsween88
        Originally Posted by Mosa View Post

        I wasn't trying to criticize you, so I apologize if it appeared that way. But anyway, now i'm curious as to why you didn't offer him your services...
        Because the site is not up and running at the moment. I have pretty much put it on the side burner for now. It was something I thought I would be interested in. Pretty much set up the gravity forms and then it just sat there. Actually hoping to sell it
        Signature

        Please do not use your signature to promote affiliate/MLM programs

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6803233].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author DubDubDubDot
          Autoblogs do not make $5 a day. If they did you could launch just one per day to the tune of $650,000 per year. By the end of year three of full operations you are making $2 Million per year. In other words, a no skills necessary business model provides the opportunity for retirement in just a few years. Sound realistic?

          That's one way of spotting BS in this industry. If it scales up too easily and makes too much money, it's too good to be true. No exceptions!

          Originally Posted by jpsween88 View Post

          3. I am not the SEO expert, so honestly I don't know how she does it
          One of the worst things you can do in this business is turn over your site promotions to an "SEO expert" without understanding exactly how your site will be promoted. These people have the ability to wreck havoc on your site.

          The methods they use sometimes work in the short term, but then Google engineers realize people are gaming the system and they release a new update named after some animal. Then you wake up one morning and your whole world has come crashing down. Not to mention all of those spammy links your SEO "expert" put out there that can't be removed, so your Google penalty lives on. The only choice is to then abandon the site and start over completely.

          Then these SEO guys hit the forums and blame Google for throwing innocent people under the bus. It's the same exact story with every major update, yet nobody ever learns.

          The reality is that you should be paying little attention to SEO beyond the very basics. If you produce great content on your sites, you've got Google on your side. You'll probably end up with the ranking your great content deserves. If your content sucks (something most are afraid to face), you get a bad ranking and reduce yourself to hiring SEO bozos for a temporary boost (IF they can deliver even that).
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6804139].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author tianan
    I suppose we all define success differently; maybe he was rich and looking for something to do, and you provided him that? Other than that, his ROI isn't great at all.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6803271].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author chroncile
    Sounds like a bunch of hogwash if I ever heard it. No way can a SEO 'expert' get you to the front page in less than 2 weeks and if they can then it's not staying there for long. Also, an autoblog? Really? How long is that going to last? Not long I can tell you that for sure.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6803292].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Mosa
      Originally Posted by chroncile View Post

      Sounds like a bunch of hogwash if I ever heard it. No way can a SEO 'expert' get you to the front page in less than 2 weeks and if they can then it's not staying there for long. Also, an autoblog? Really? How long is that going to last? Not long I can tell you that for sure.
      Well, I can say that from experience that I rank sites within 2 weeks all the time and they stick around. But I don't build it the way jps says he builds. Also, I think jps description is very vague so there's no way of really knowing if his actual method works or not.
      Signature
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6804100].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author topkat13
    I agree 110%. We paid tens of thousands of dollars to SEO experts before we brought it all in-house. You need to educate yourself first - then pick the things you like to do and farm out the rest. You will never go wrong... Traffic is always the issue, we personally are huge fans of video (mainly because we have an in-house video distribution system to over 100+ video hosting sites with a PR of 4+). The more the merrier = targeted traffic. If you like, you can visit our site for a FREE 16 video education course on traffic generation. It is packed with 3 hours of ideas that are low or no cost. Good luck and stick with it, and remember: Everything is hard until it's easy! But make it easier faster with education.
    Signature

    George J. Hanko III
    CEO and Founder
    Ultimate Internet Marketing Success
    "The World's Largest Internet Marketing Education Site"
    Build, Market and Monetize your Website!
    www.ultimateinternetmarketingsuccess.com

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6805035].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Rebeccha Haase
    Originally Posted by jpsween88 View Post

    Buy an autoblog/domain name so we dont need to build a page
    What does it mean? I would love to know.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6805877].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Yildiz
      Originally Posted by Rebeccha Haase View Post

      What does it mean? I would love to know.
      I too am trying to figure this out!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6805935].message }}
  • {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6830527].message }}

Trending Topics