Purchasing a domain from someone

by Trev81
4 replies
I am trying to get a domain, not for IM purposes for personal purposes. Was a member of a private members forum, about 20 members in total and the owner let the site lapse.

Eventually found the site owner and now he is saying submit your best offer as there is loads of interest in it. I know there isnt. I have offered him $100 and that is it.

Should I get smart with him and tell him I know there is no interest in this domain?
#domain #purchasing
  • Profile picture of the author OnlineAddict
    No, you are the one who wants something, so be polite. If he wants too much, simply refuse in a polite way. He will get back to you, if he really wants to sell...
    Signature

    From1toMillion.com

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6797540].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Chris Chicas
    I would leave it at that and wait for him to come around and realize that nobody else really wants it. This kinda reminds me of inexperienced people who put up websites on Flippa expecting that someone will pay a high amount because "it has a high potential to go viral" hm, okay, if it does then why don't you let it go viral first and then sell it?

    I had the same issue when I wanted to acquire the domain HowtoDream.com and the dude didn't want to take $100 for it. Now it just seats there like a dump while my site HowToDream.net is ranking. This is just an old site I created and haven't done much with lately, but it just goes to show you. A lot of inexperienced people fall for this pie in the sky crap when it comes to websites and domains.

    Hope you get it though.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6798149].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Gene Pimentel
    Originally Posted by Trev81 View Post

    Should I get smart with him and tell him I know there is no interest in this domain?
    Getting 'smart' with him will not make him suddenly make him see things the way you do. In fact, it will probably give you less of a chance of obtaining the domain from him.

    He knows what he wants and expects from the domain. The most likely time he'll change that position is when it comes close to renewal time, especially if he has an inventory of domains he's maintaining. The best time to approach him again is a few weeks before it is time to renew. If he doesn't change his position then, it's unlikely he'll drop the price anytime soon.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6799078].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Stephen Root
      Originally Posted by Gene Pimentel View Post

      Getting 'smart' with him will not make him suddenly make him see things the way you do. In fact, it will probably give you less of a chance of obtaining the domain from him.

      He knows what he wants and expects from the domain. The most likely time he'll change that position is when it comes close to renewal time, especially if he has an inventory of domains he's maintaining. The best time to approach him again is a few weeks before it is time to renew. If he doesn't change his position then, it's unlikely he'll drop the price anytime soon.
      I agree with Gene here. I have blown few domain deals in the past because I started demonstrating domain's value etc. to the seller. He really doesn't care because value is always different for each buyer.

      If you want to take the risk, you can wait and see if it expires. If there really is a lot of interest, he is not going to let it expire. And he is also probably waiting for you to come back just before renewal
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6812236].message }}

Trending Topics