50k monthly uniques - what to do?

17 replies
Hello warriors,

I've bought a 3 letter .com domain (no special meaning, just acronyms like FLD.com for example) a year ago and it has consistent 45-50k unique monthly visitors - 100% direct type-in traffic, 80% US and 20% rest of the world without any content being on the website (just blank index.html).

I'd be very happy if you guys suggested what I should do in order to monetize that traffic?

Thanks much in advance for your oppinions,
Igor
#50k #monthly #uniques
  • Profile picture of the author shane_k
    What do those 3 letters in your domain stand stand for according to these visitors?

    Those 3 letters might me a specific subject to you but they could totally mean something else to all these people coming to your sites.

    Do you know where that traffic is coming from?

    What kind of sites, and what is the common subject of those sites?

    if they are all coming from say one of those import model car sites then you would want to put up offers and content dealing with that subject.

    if they are all coming from say sites about training dogs, then you would want to put up offers and content dealing with that subject.

    The reason you want to find out what the common interest or subject is, is so you can then target them specifically. It's no use to put up ad sense ads, or to make an offer until you know what those visitors are interested in.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6821101].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author vanillaice
      Hi Shane, thanks for your reply.

      Like I've mentioned in OP, those 3 letters are totally random acronyms, no special meaning.

      100% of traffic is direct navigation, type-in: 80% from US, 20% from rest of the world. No referrals whatsoever.

      That's the reason I have no real idea what to do with it
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6821117].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author gundammeister
    Originally Posted by vanillaice View Post

    Hello warriors,

    I've bought a 3 letter .com domain (no special meaning, just acronyms like FLD.com for example) a year ago and it has consistent 45-50k unique monthly visitors - 100% direct type-in traffic, 80% US and 20% rest of the world without any content being on the website (just blank index.html).

    I'd be very happy if you guys suggested what I should do in order to monetize that traffic?

    Thanks much in advance for your oppinions,
    Igor
    Wow you're getting that much traffic from just a blank website? Take advantage of this and develop a site and come up with some a phrase that incorporates the acronym.

    Search for appropriate affiliate programs and you're set!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6821107].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author vanillaice
      Originally Posted by gundammeister View Post

      Wow you're getting that much traffic from just a blank website? Take advantage of this and develop a site and come up with some a phrase that incorporates the acronym.

      Search for appropriate affiliate programs and you're set!
      Yes, it's pretty weird indeed. I've researched the acronyms and the history of the domain name and there's nothing that would suggest why it gets so many visitors.

      Thanks for your suggestion!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6821133].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author slicka
    monetize that traffic man! what niche do the 3 letters relate to?
    Signature
    LOOKING FOR TO BUY OR SELL SOLO ADS? CHECK OUT SOLO ADS MARKET THE ONE PLACE FOR ALL YOUR NEEDS!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6821120].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author slicka
    well worst case scenario you could throw a basic site up and place banners and make $1-3 per 1k visitors per banner. You could solidly pull in $100+ daily just on a CPM model
    Signature
    LOOKING FOR TO BUY OR SELL SOLO ADS? CHECK OUT SOLO ADS MARKET THE ONE PLACE FOR ALL YOUR NEEDS!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6821123].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author fedor50
    Originally Posted by vanillaice View Post

    Hello warriors,

    I've bought a 3 letter .com domain (no special meaning, just acronyms like FLD.com for example) a year ago and it has consistent 45-50k unique monthly visitors - 100% direct type-in traffic, 80% US and 20% rest of the world without any content being on the website (just blank index.html).

    I'd be very happy if you guys suggested what I should do in order to monetize that traffic?

    Thanks much in advance for your oppinions,
    Igor
    Put up adsense on your website. Easy money.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6821132].message }}
  • Find out what the search terms are that people are actually typing in google etc in order to get to your site.

    (Use Google Analytics)

    Once you have that information, you can provide the answers / solutions to their search in the form of creating a blog on the topic, creating a product on the topic, recommending related products with your affiliate links attached, etc.

    For now, get an auto responder and capture their email addresses starting "right now".

    Then you can decide later what you are going to do.
    Signature
    Arnold Stolting - Stolting Media Group
    "I LOVE The Song! The Vibe Is Positive And Firm!" - Kymani Marley. (Son of Bob Marley)
    "Keep Up The Good Work!" Tony Lindsay - Lead Vocalist, Carlos Santana.

    "Very High Quality!" Jeremy Harding - Manager / Producer. Sean Paul.
    "They Are FANTASTIC!" - Willie Crawford.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6821137].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author vanillaice
      Originally Posted by stoltingmediagroup View Post

      Find out what the search terms are that people are actually typing in google etc in order to get to your site.

      (Use Google Analytics)

      Once you have that information, you can provide the answers / solutions to their search in the form of creating a blog on the topic, creating a product on the topic, recommending related products with your affiliate links attached, etc.

      For now, get an auto responder and capture their email addresses starting "right now".

      Then you can decide later what you are going to do.
      Nothing, that's the problem. 100% of that traffic is type-in, bypassing Google and other search engines / directories..
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6821161].message }}
      • Originally Posted by vanillaice View Post

        Nothing, that's the problem. 100% of that traffic is type-in, bypassing Google and other search engines / directories..
        Either way, even if you don't know what your traffic came to your site for,
        how they got there, and or what their interests are,
        if you currently having "nothing" at all on your site,
        then from the sounds of it, you are losing the opportunity to market something,
        "anything" to 50k monthly unique visitors.
        Signature
        Arnold Stolting - Stolting Media Group
        "I LOVE The Song! The Vibe Is Positive And Firm!" - Kymani Marley. (Son of Bob Marley)
        "Keep Up The Good Work!" Tony Lindsay - Lead Vocalist, Carlos Santana.

        "Very High Quality!" Jeremy Harding - Manager / Producer. Sean Paul.
        "They Are FANTASTIC!" - Willie Crawford.

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6821293].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Surminga
    Wow, great statistics...
    What about a redirect to a URL of yours elsewhere where you do business boosting traffic to your main money site
    Signature
    Surminga.com - SEO and Digital Marketing Agency

    Here are a few of our Blog's : Social Media Marketing Guide
    Or if you Fancy a Holiday? - Holiday Guide
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6821147].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author vanillaice
      Originally Posted by Surminga View Post

      Wow, great statistics...
      What about a redirect to a URL of yours elsewhere where you do business boosting traffic to your main money site
      No other business yet, I work in networking for an ISP. Otherwise good idea
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6821172].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author WFs
    Probably getting traffic just because people have companies with those initials.
    Signature
    Logitech Wireless
    -------------------------------
    "What have you learned today?"
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6821513].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author BAC
    As you are getting lots of traffic adsense is the best for you, select any higher cpc niche like car insurance or mesothelioma etc to get max revenue per day!

    Thanks,
    VGM
    Signature

    Get Content Targeted Super Real Traffic to Boost your Adsense Revenue!

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6821741].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author zerofill
      Duh... I read that wrong and thought you said you owned FLD.com lol... nm... deleted this message.
      Signature
      Serp Shaker
      The IM World Will Be Shaken to the Core!
      Join my list at: IMCool.Biz
      New Podcast --> podcast.imcool.biz
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6821840].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author shane_k
    yea you can just throw up adsense ads or throw up an offer and you will make some money off off that traffic.

    but if you can, then do what "the blogger" said and do a search in google with those 3 letters and see what comes up and then do a search using the google keyword tool.

    This should give you a better idea of who that traffic is.

    and just that alone will give you a better idea of which kind of adsense ads or which kind of offer to put up, instead of just choosing something at random.

    if you choose something at random your conversion could possible be very, very low. Why not do what you can to try and maximize them.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6824309].message }}

Trending Topics