How Long Before You Quit Your First Blog?

53 replies
I quit my first blog after a month 6 months. I picked the wrong niche, not much scope to monetise, interest too small.

What about you? Your first blog, how long did it last?
#blog #long #quit
  • Profile picture of the author entrepreneurjay
    My first blog back in 2006 lasted about the same time, I wish I would of kept it, early lessons learned. I learned to always keep it up and running even if your moving on to other projects because it can still make you some extra cash.
    Signature

    Free Internet Marketing Learning @ Resource Center P.D.F. Ebook Download Center http://jaysonlinereviews.com/free-in...ook-downloads/
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6837604].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Simmeon
      Originally Posted by entrepreneurjay View Post

      My first blog back in 2006 lasted about the same time, I wish I would of kept it, early lessons learned. I learned to always keep it up and running even if your moving on to other projects because it can still make you some extra cash.
      Same here I wish I kept mine, it paid for its self in 2 months but damn writing content was a drag.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6837689].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author retsced
    Mine was about the same time, 6 months. I picked the baby stroller niche... what a sad thing to do. Writing content for that website was a real drag and it just doesn't feel right writing about something you have no passion for. It doesn't feel right monetizing products you have never used either. This is why I always tell people to learn everything about what they are promoting and always try the products yourself so you can give an honest review. Sadly this doesn't happen most of the time.
    Signature
    -----------------------------------
    SKINNYTACTICS
    How to Stand Out and Get to Uniqueness
    -----------------------------------
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6837606].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author fin
      I quit my first two after 6 posts each.

      I got advice that they weren't going anywhere.

      Now I would never quit my current one if someone offered $1M.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6837668].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author mgreener
        Originally Posted by fin View Post

        I quit my first two after 6 posts each.

        I got advice that they weren't going anywhere.

        Now I would never quit my current one if someone offered $1M.

        Well you could take the offer and then just start a new one on the same topic...lol
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6837834].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author GSMarketing
        Originally Posted by fin View Post

        I quit my first two after 6 posts each.

        I got advice that they weren't going anywhere.

        Now I would never quit my current one if someone offered $1M.
        I'll give you $2M???


        I haven't got my first up and running yet but I wont be quitting it any time soon. I chose a niche that is my passion and therefore will not be bored of.

        Cheers

        G
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6841256].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Mark Alan
      My technique with blogs is a bit different than most. I like to make them and forget them. Often I can come back to them even years later and they will have great rankings just because of age. Then when they start ranking I add money makers and more content. So whatever you do don't let the domains or hosting expire on your old blogs keep them up and let them age. It is like money in the bank.
      Signature
      Crazy Cheap Hosting Get Hosting for less than $2 per month + Free Domain Name Registration. Get Free SEO, Blogging and Internet Marketing Tips from the Solo Blogger.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6837672].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author hebsgaard
    I started my first blog as a result of doing Britt Malka's Quicksilver course (I believe it's still only available in Danish). As a web developer with a keen interest in web design my choice of topic seemed obvious.

    I started a Danish web design blog, actually got a really good domain name too, and started blogging. It did pretty well, but there was one problem.

    It was too related to my day job. After a couple of months I really couldn't take working with web development during the day and blogging about web design in the evening.

    5 or 6 months into the project I stopped blogging. Too bad too because traffic and adsense revenue was really kicking off.

    Before getting my own domain I had started the blog as a WordPress.com blog. That version, with 2 months worth of posts, still exist.

    It's really depressing logging into my WordPress.com account to watch the stats. That first blog is still getting more traffic than several of my current blogs!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6837753].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Simmeon
      Originally Posted by hebsgaard View Post

      I started my first blog as a result of doing Britt Malka's Quicksilver course (I believe it's still only available in Danish). As a web developer with a keen interest in web design my choice of topic seemed obvious.

      I started a Danish web design blog, actually got a really good domain name too, and started blogging. It did pretty well, but there was one problem.

      It was too related to my day job. After a couple of months I really couldn't take working with web development during the day and blogging about web design in the evening.

      5 or 6 months into the project I stopped blogging. Too bad too because traffic and adsense revenue was really kicking off.

      Before getting my own domain I had started the blog as a WordPress.com blog. That version, with 2 months worth of posts, still exist.

      It's really depressing logging into my WordPress.com account to watch the stats. That first blog is still getting more traffic than several of my current blogs!

      However much we dont want our blogs to be using a free platform, they rank so well. That's really a killer. I agree blogs linked to closely with work will make you depressed.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6837901].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author hebsgaard
        Originally Posted by Simmeon View Post

        However much we dont want our blogs to be using a free platform, they rank so well. That's really a killer. I agree blogs linked to closely with work will make you depressed.
        The truth is there are times I wish I had kept that blog running. That's when I usually start another techie blog, keep at it for a few weeks and find myself remembering why I quit in the first place.

        Techie niches can be really profitable, but when you've spent years of your life with techie stuff running a blog about it can be a real pain.

        I have never had regrets about starting that blog. Well, that's not quite true, but whenever those regrets appear I am reminded of the things that blog taught me.

        Mainly that writing is my real passion. I just love it. As insane as it may sound the clicking noise of the keyboard is something I know I can never give up
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6838009].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Lisha5684
      Originally Posted by hebsgaard View Post

      I started my first blog as a result of doing Britt Malka's Quicksilver course (I believe it's still only available in Danish). As a web developer with a keen interest in web design my choice of topic seemed obvious.

      I started a Danish web design blog, actually got a really good domain name too, and started blogging. It did pretty well, but there was one problem.

      It was too related to my day job. After a couple of months I really couldn't take working with web development during the day and blogging about web design in the evening.

      5 or 6 months into the project I stopped blogging. Too bad too because traffic and adsense revenue was really kicking off.

      Before getting my own domain I had started the blog as a WordPress.com blog. That version, with 2 months worth of posts, still exist.

      It's really depressing logging into my WordPress.com account to watch the stats. That first blog is still getting more traffic than several of my current blogs!
      Why don't you register a new domain for the wordpress.com blog and install wordpress and redirect your wordpress.com blog to your new wordpress.org blog. Then you can make money on that traffic. Make sure it's a 301 redirect though so you keep your PR and SEO.
      Signature

      -Start Getting Noticed On Twitter: http://twonderwoman.com
      -Visit my blog: http://blogandretire.com/blog - Tips for blogging, social media marketing, and online business.

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6846020].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author mgreener
    If you do your niche research properly, you should never quit your first blog, the longer it's around, the more powerful it will become. Even if the topic does not inspire you, you can outsource the writing. A good evergreen niche can last for decades. I still get traffic and sales from several of my first blogs which I haven't touched for years.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6837849].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author TimothyTorrents
    I still have my first blog but a never update it. I still use my second blog though - i have been publishing articles on it for almost 2 years now. Not much earnings but i didnt make it for earnings - just to record my articles.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6837914].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Simmeon
      Originally Posted by timbonitus View Post

      I still have my first blog but a never update it. I still use my second blog though - i have been publishing articles on it for almost 2 years now. Not much earnings but i didnt make it for earnings - just to record my articles.
      How often do you post new content?
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6837970].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author headmaster211
    Banned
    I really hate Google updates. Once, you have your sites at Google #1, another update and it's gone. You lose your money overnight. I shifted to Youtube after trying Blogs for 3-4 months. Its much better there. If you could find the right niche and keywords you can stay there for years without worrying about any updates. Also, it is easier to rank quickly on Youtube.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6838075].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Becky Rogers
    Mine lasted about 4 months. Well, actually it's still up but I never knew how to put together all the pieces of the puzzle to make it flourish. Now that I have been successful in another niche, I'll go back and rework the first one.
    Signature
    New! Simple, Proven Money Making Formula
    Revealed...No Selling, No Cold Calling,

    Plug In And Profit --->CLICK HERE!<---
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6838562].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author thinkoutthebox
    Originally Posted by Simmeon View Post

    I quit my first blog after a month 6 months. I picked the wrong niche, not much scope to monetise, interest too small.

    What about you? Your first blog, how long did it last?
    First blog lasted
    2 years

    I was in a niche
    that I was there
    for my own passion
    and not a full
    understanding of
    the real things in
    demand that would
    be more worthwhile
    to me blogging about.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6838627].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Simmeon
      Originally Posted by thinkoutthebox View Post

      First blog lasted
      2 years

      I was in a niche
      that I was there
      for my own passion
      and not a full
      understanding of
      the real things in
      demand that would
      be more worthwhile
      to me blogging about.
      2 years for a first blog is awesome, most never reach that mark - EVER.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6838650].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Simmeon
    Originally Posted by handymoney2 View Post

    lol my first blog was a month. I quit fast
    Any newbies when we see no traffic, we bail fast.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6838989].message }}
  • Originally Posted by Simmeon View Post

    I quit my first blog after a month 6 months. I picked the wrong niche, not much scope to monetise, interest too small.
    I believe that ANY niche has monetizing potential if you engage with your audience.

    Unless you've picked the niche "growing giant red pickles", there's no such a thing as a *wrong* niche. Besides, you should blog about whatever niche you're passionate+familiar with, not whatever niche a keyword tool deems as profitable.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6841324].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author michellex
    Originally Posted by Simmeon View Post

    I quit my first blog after a month 6 months. I picked the wrong niche, not much scope to monetise, interest too small.

    What about you? Your first blog, how long did it last?
    I had my first blog for a few years. It brought in about $100 a month from Adsense. Sold it on Flippa for a nice chunk of change.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6841412].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author RyanLester
      Originally Posted by michellex View Post

      I had my first blog for a few years. It brought in about $100 a month from Adsense. Sold it on Flippa for a nice chunk of change.
      Hi Michelle,

      Great to hear this. I am about to join the Flippa train, I have a couple of ideas i want to test.

      Have you only sold one via flippa or more? Can you elaborate on the niche, traffic sources etc.

      Thanks
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6844089].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Usmile
    Personally, I had about 20 startup blogs created before finding what's really work and what I really love.. most of the blog I created before reach 4-6 months before I give up because lack of interest. Hope you will find what you really love to do too.. It's not how long you quit but how long you enjoy..
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6841453].message }}
  • I must agree to some who choose a niche from what they love and then monetizing it after. I always believe that doing what you want and what you know well about can really turn to success.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6841458].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Simmeon
      Originally Posted by Anonymous Affiliate View Post

      I believe that ANY niche has monetizing potential if you engage with your audience.

      Unless you've picked the niche "growing giant red pickles", there's no such a thing as a *wrong* niche. Besides, you should blog about whatever niche you're passionate+familiar with, not whatever niche a keyword tool deems as profitable.
      Sure, no niche is wrong. But is was not the right one for me. It was not something I was passionate about so hence it being WRONG!

      Originally Posted by michellex View Post

      I had my first blog for a few years. It brought in about $100 a month from Adsense. Sold it on Flippa for a nice chunk of change.
      Do you still have blogs you maintain?


      Originally Posted by Usmile View Post

      Personally, I had about 20 startup blogs created before finding what's really work and what I really love.. most of the blog I created before reach 4-6 months before I give up because lack of interest. Hope you will find what you really love to do too.. It's not how long you quit but how long you enjoy..
      Yeah, now I have found something that I enjoy writing about.

      Originally Posted by affilorama-portal View Post

      I must agree to some who choose a niche from what they love and then monetizing it after. I always believe that doing what you want and what you know well about can really turn to success.

      A genuine interet is mandatory, without the passion it will not last long or will just be average at best.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6841489].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author charlesmurphy
    I've started quite a few blogs, I've only let one go, the rest I keep around and come back to after they get some age.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6843980].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Simmeon
      Originally Posted by charlesmurphy View Post

      I've started quite a few blogs, I've only let one go, the rest I keep around and come back to after they get some age.
      Are those monetised in anyway?
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6844595].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author btm2012
        Banned
        [DELETED]
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6844680].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Simmeon
          Originally Posted by btm2012 View Post

          I have often struggled to get a blog ranked, due to niche selection, lack of content, etc. Blogging can be profitable and quickly but you have to have the right strategy.

          Choosing the right keywords and knowing how to choose the right ones is what makes all the world of a difference.

          I am not someone who joins any scheme type programs that say they give you a blog and you can throw it up and voila! But you know what...

          I was turned on to the empower network blogging platform. I see the power behind the network and how you can get your posts ranked very quickly for keywords you didn't even realize you were ranking for!

          Here's the thing though, I have learned some strategies form some top Marketers here and am starting to see success from this network. I simply use it as a leverage for my Overall Business Plan! It truly is an amazing system I am working through and you simply can't get this type of training unless you have thousands for some guru who only teaches you how to be happy with yourself.

          Guys, and Gals, If you truly want to succeed with blogging, PLEASE, hit me up on Skype and I will show you how to get the exact same training I am receiving now, just hit me up and we can talk about it, NO HITCH!

          I hate MLM, but trust me on this, I have a way we can utilize the network as leverage for greater success in other facets of online business.

          I look forward to talking to you!

          To your success,

          Brent M
          Brent,

          Why did that sound like a sales page?
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6844741].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Morten V
    Mine was about 2 weeks before I moved on in the same niche, but made the new site more brandable which I still have today.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6844665].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Lana Holmes
    Mine is up for 6 years now (from 2006). But I did it just for pleasure and for my Russian friends and colleagues, so I knew nothing about SEO, keywords and things like this. But the content, design and structure are good, because it is about marketing research - the thing I'm very passionate about.

    So people from the industry began to put backlinks to my site, clients started to find me by my name etc. It's funny but other sites I made (about 5) with some (basic) knowledge of SEO, keywords etc. are far not so successful as my first blog.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6844995].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Simmeon
      Originally Posted by Lana Holmes View Post

      Mine is up for 6 years now (from 2006). But I did it just for pleasure and for my Russian friends and colleagues, so I knew nothing about SEO, keywords and things like this. But the content, design and structure are good, because it is about marketing research - the thing I'm very passionate about.

      So people from the industry began to put backlinks to my site, clients started to find me by my name etc. It's funny but other sites I made (about 5) with some (basic) knowledge of SEO, keywords etc. are far not so successful as my first blog.
      Thanks for sharing, thats an awesome story. Happy you found success.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6845224].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Lisha5684
    I created about 6 blogs right away when I first started, all on different topics (because I'm interested in too many things). I wrote about 5-10 posts on each and then started just focusing on my favorite one and kind of abandoned the rest. I should go check those now and see how they're doing...
    Signature

    -Start Getting Noticed On Twitter: http://twonderwoman.com
    -Visit my blog: http://blogandretire.com/blog - Tips for blogging, social media marketing, and online business.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6846027].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Randall Magwood
    I used to own a blog about Google Adsense. Didn't last long lol. Now i got a blog that goes hand-in-hand with my site, and this is definitely something long term. And i update it everyday.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6846030].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author SEOBigMan
    Same here, I think you should keep your blogs and do 301 redirects from .wordpress.com blogs. Patience is key my friend
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6846033].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author kdbbdl
    Banned
    i wait around 3-4 months to see if there is some improvement, if not the X the blog
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6846038].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Simmeon
      Originally Posted by kdbbdl View Post

      i wait around 3-4 months to see if there is some improvement, if not the X the blog
      Yeah, All my blogs neber make any movements until around 3 months..
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6847431].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author nick04
    I quit my blog in just around 2 months or so. Reason: I was not very serious about it.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6847466].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Vadja007
    Banned
    [DELETED]
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6864016].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Lisha5684
      Originally Posted by Vadja007 View Post

      I never was a blogging guy. But since a lot of people say that they make thousand every month I decided to give it a try. Doesn't seem to work.... Maybe I should do something else with my life
      You just have to learn to do it right. Also, it takes more than a few months to make money with a blog. The longer you have it, the more potential for income with it. Also you can create small blogs with just 10 or so article on them that just make $100 a month (or whatever) and if you create one of those, then start a new one, and when that one's done, start a new one, eventually you will have a bunch of residual income. But it has to be done right and there are a lot of steps before it's "done".
      Signature

      -Start Getting Noticed On Twitter: http://twonderwoman.com
      -Visit my blog: http://blogandretire.com/blog - Tips for blogging, social media marketing, and online business.

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6864868].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author badyari121
    I quit after two months,it was not indexed in google
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6864754].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author rslayter
    I made it 3 months!! That was before I joined the Goon Squad Marketing Team. I didn't know what I was doing and nothing was getting ranked. We live and learn and then we make the money
    Signature

    Please do not use affiliate links, redirects, or templates in signatures

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6864763].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author contentwriting360
    Banned
    We haven't quit managing our blog page. I think it's a 'must' for us to maintain it because we offer content writing services and it goes without saying that our own blog should be updated all the time.

    We haven't had any challenge in terms of maintaining it because our writers regularly submit their blog posts.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6864774].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author mindfulness
    Same with me, 6 months. I wrongly doing keyword research and then I using it for backlinking
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6864775].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author WF90te
    I have just started my first blog and will be updating it frequently. It is about my experiences and knowledge I gained in my quest to find quick ways to make money online. I am looking forward for people to share their experiences and also to enable all of us to make further progress by learning from each other. I will be keeping this blog for as long as I can because there is so much to share and learn and the IM world is changing all
    the time.

    I guess if you choose a niche which is evergreen and which you have a a passion for , your
    blog will not run out of things to post.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6864871].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author FIP
    I have had to focus on one due to time constraints. I am reluctant to let them go based on emotional attachment (i'm sentimental and the fact that since I created them, they may just be sound websites to have in several years.

    Some comments here support that approach.

    That said there are several that I will 'let go' as they are going nowhere and never will.
    Signature

    "If one advances confidently in the direction of his own dreams and endeavours to live the life which he has imagined - he will meet a success unexpected in common hours"
    -Thoreau

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6864921].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author hayriku
    Let's see... about 1 month i think, everything is screwed.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6864924].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Jonathan Smith
    Love blogging and have been doing it for a while. I sold my other blogs and recently started a new one in my favorite niche even though it is a saturated niche. I blog about money and affiliate marketing.
    Signature

    VOTE FOR MY LATEST REMIX: https://goo.gl/jwHF0j
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6865027].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author dc_publius
    About a week.

    To be fair, it's still out there, and I'm still posting some thoughts occasionally. It's just not a focus or source of any profits.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6865040].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author hazyl lee
    My first blog which I have just created a few months ago and it is still alive. I write down whatever I have done so far in IM niche and try to share out some tips that I have discovered so far. Blogging is fun when you have something to write or share.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6865041].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author aksports2003
    I notice many people quit their blogs. Usually it is the wrong niche they pick or they get bored. A lot fo the people who stick with it usually keep getting more users.

    I see a lot of the people solid blogs integrating Chatwing live chat and this helps keep users talking and coming back. Also, chatwing helps the blogger to get direct feedback.

    I can tell you 1st hand, the bloggers who use Chatwing are much more successful.
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6871027].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author aksports2003
    maybe when your website need to renewal..
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7218284].message }}

Trending Topics