Timeline - Why All The Hate?

by pdrs
26 replies
Ok so I know there's another thread here about how to switch back from timeline to the old setup (which as far as I know is impossible at this point).

But I'm really curious to know what it is people hate so much about it?

I switched awhile back and I think it looks slick and I have no problem with it whatsoever.

I see a lot of my facebook friends raging against timeline, and most of them were the same ones who were appalled the last time facebook made a big change.

But I wonder is it just that people hate change in general or is there really something you specifically don't like about the design?
#hate #timeline
  • Profile picture of the author WinsonYeung
    I prefer timeline but it is still not updated when I login to my facebook.
    Signature
    [WSO of The Day] Discount How To Generate 172.56% Positive Return OR build your List for FREE!

    "Case Study: Discover You Can Make $1371.66 With A Simple Blog Post by Clicking Here"
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6848796].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author retsced
    Not too sure. I don't sit on facebook anymore, but what I have seen is that older posts get pushed so far down the page that many will not bother to scroll that far. This could be a problem if you have some quality posts further down the page and new visitors rarely get to see them. I'm really just taking a stab in the dark though, It may simply be that people hate change, as you said.
    Signature
    SKINNYTACTICS - Taking the FAT out of Marketing
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6848823].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author pdrs
      Originally Posted by retsced View Post

      Not too sure. I don't sit on facebook anymore, but what I have seen is that older posts get pushed so far down the page that many will not bother to scroll that far. This could be a problem if you have some quality posts further down the page and new visitors rarely get to see them. I'm really just taking a stab in the dark though, It may simply be that people hate change, as you said.
      I'm with you in that I rarely spend any time on my traditional facebook page - I do find that I'm spending a quite a bit of my time on my "fanpages" or whatever their called now though as my following grows.

      The look is really clean for my readers (i think), the big cover photo gives me a great opportunity for a call to action while still keeping my logo in place and if there is some stuff I want to stay at the top I can just set it as the equivalent of a "sticky" in wordpress.
      Signature
      RemoteControlHelicopterReviews.(com/net) - Up for sale! No reasonable offer refused. Great branding for a super hot niche!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6848839].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Linkology
    It feels too wide with too much to look at, (look over here for this, look over here for that), scroll, scroll, scroll, it seems very disorganized to me... the old layout was narrow, sleek and easier on the eyes in my opinion.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6848833].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Joel Young
      Originally Posted by ListBuilding View Post

      It feels too wide with too much to look at, (look over here for this, look over here for that), scroll, scroll, scroll, it seems very disorganized to me... the old layout was narrow, sleek and easier on the eyes in my opinion.
      My thoughts exactly. In fact, I find that Facebook's general usability goes against many design standards. I have no problem using any site on the Web, and there are many variants of navigation and functionality; but they pretty much all stick to tried & true methods of usability. Facebook, however, seems to go against a lot of that these days.

      My first FB account was a few years ago, but I got out of it because it didn't really fill a need for me. But a couple months ago I got another account, and wow! They've really screwed with people. I'm keeping the account because now it's more for business purposes, but it's a PITA sometimes, and now this Timeline thing.... *shakes head*

      Or maybe I'm just too old. :p
      Signature

      Internet Marketer gone back to his original profession as a musician. May be back someday..... maybe not.....

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6848902].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author mahfuz007
    i hate timeline because it is not easy to navigate to all the posts on timeline. Everythings just get mixed up frequently :/
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6848914].message }}
    • "Hate" seems like a strong word.

      But before I closed my FB account I had the joy of experiencing Timeline and I'll tell you why it was off-putting for me: Timeline hides some updates.

      I would go to some page where I knew there was something in particular posted -- except it wasn't there. That's especially maddening when you know someone posted a link to your site and you want to see what the context is. Did they love it? Did they find it useful?

      The best way to describe everything that's wrong with FB is to contrast it with Twitter. Twitter is linear and transparent. As long as your tweets aren't protected, everybody can see a tweet in your stream. If I get traffic to Best of Fiverr from Twitter, I can tell which tweet drove it and who sent out that tweet. (Weirdly, there are people who take my RSS feed and tweet it. I have no idea why, but thanks guys anyway.)

      I no longer waste my time with FB. If I get traffic from there, I ignore it.

      fLufF
      --
      Signature
      Fiverr is looking for freelance writers for its blog. Details here.
      Love microjobs? Work when you want and get paid in cash the same day!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6848976].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author JimDucharme
    Pdrs,

    What are your friends saying about timeline? Is it just random complaints or do they have specific issues? My exprerience with communities has been that there will always be a good number of people who don't like change and rebel against it. However, not all. The trick for any brand that wants to be truly accessible is to seperate change anxiety from legitimate concerns and address them. You have two tracks here really; one is about change and the other is about problems or shortcomings. Both need to be addressed conscientiously and I think this is where often FB falls very short. While you can't twitch everytime the wind blows, you certainly do have to show your community members that you are listening to their input and addressing their concerns.


    Regards,
    jim
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6848951].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author pdrs
      Originally Posted by JimDucharme View Post

      Pdrs,

      What are your friends saying about timeline? Is it just random complaints or do they have specific issues? My exprerience with communities has been that there will always be a good number of people who don't like change and rebel against it. However, not all. The trick for any brand that wants to be truly accessible is to seperate change anxiety from legitimate concerns and address them. You have two tracks here really; one is about change and the other is about problems or shortcomings. Both need to be addressed conscientiously and I think this is where often FB falls very short. While you can't twitch everytime the wind blows, you certainly do have to show your community members that you are listening to their input and addressing their concerns.


      Regards,
      jim
      Hey Jim,

      Great post. I would say 99% of my friends don't like it because they just don't want to change, there might be a few with legit reasons that they've thought out but it seems like the large majority see someone post "timeline sucks" or "give me back the old facebook" and then they all just rally behind that person with "yeah!".

      I think your point about separating anxiety from legitimate concern is a very good one and I don't think FB does a very good job of this at all. The whole change definitely feels like a dictatorship type move and I'm sure that's a large part why people came up so hard against it as well.

      Which is why I wondered if a lot of people had actually given it an honest try or just got into the whole mob mentality of "timeline sucks!".

      In all honesty I would say 99% of my facebook "friends" are just casual acquaintances at best so I haven't really bothered to probe too deep into their comments which is why I thought I would ask here as we're all a bit more "into" this sort of thing and there have been some excellent responses.

      Fluff: not knowing where to find an older piece of content wasn't one I'd thought about but I thought that Timeline was going to make that easier, what with the chronological order and all?
      Signature
      RemoteControlHelicopterReviews.(com/net) - Up for sale! No reasonable offer refused. Great branding for a super hot niche!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6849919].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Black Hat Cat
    Banned
    Timeline - Why All The Hate?
    Because it sucks.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6849067].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author funkynassau
    I hate that there was no option to stick with the old format if that's what a person wanted. Give me the choice, dont make these decisions for me! I dont like the look of timeline, how it divides the screen in two. I find it not as user friendly.
    Signature

    ChipFixx custom mixed auto touchup paint kits.
    http://www.chipfixx.ca

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6849069].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author vCr8
    I don't hate timeline, but I prefer the old layout though. It was way simpler before and all the updates are there. Timeline is too busy, it loads longer and some posts takes too much of the space.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6849209].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author mosthost
    Most people hate change.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6849234].message }}
    • Originally Posted by mosthost View Post

      Most people hate change.
      And even more people hate pointless change. Change-for-the-sake-of-change.

      Older people are often derided for being resistant to change. It's not because we're stupid or stubborn; it's because we've had a lifetime of seeing changes that were made because some job-justifying nitwit had a brain fart.

      fLufF
      --
      Signature
      Fiverr is looking for freelance writers for its blog. Details here.
      Love microjobs? Work when you want and get paid in cash the same day!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6849374].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author OutsourceFactor
    I had several complaints from my friends today about Facebook forcing their profiles to go timeline. It's all just a matter of getting used to it, I guess. I did not like it before either but once I got the hang of it, it's not so bad. I didn't really need to access any old content.

    One problem I've experienced though is (correct me if I'm wrong) your privacy settings don't seem to work. Other people can access a certain album if I tag one of my friends on there. I've set my privacy settings correctly (I think) but still to no effect.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6850138].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Brandon Bell
      The timeline is pretty much designed to look like an infographic.

      If done correctly, the timeline can be used to create a community around your brand's story.

      I think some people don't like it because it's such a big change from the orginal Facebook design.

      Eventually, people will just get used to it. It's really a great idea, but the roll out could have been handled better.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6850305].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author KirkMcD
        Originally Posted by Brandon Bell View Post

        If done correctly, the timeline can be used to create a community around your brand's story.
        I'm not a brand.
        Oddly enough, I go just to keep track of what my old friends that I don't see much of are up to.
        I know that only having actual people that you know in your friend's list is a strange concept to many here, but that's what I do.

        Timeline makes that difficult. And that HUGE graphic at the top of the page just wastes space.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6850699].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author travlinguy
    I'm not much of a FB fan to begin with but at least before I could go to a page and I knew what to do. Now I just stare blankly and leave after 10 seconds. I think a lot of people do this.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6850357].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author AnitaCross
      At first glance, Timeline looks cool. The wide cover image is so much easier to utilize than the long and skinny profile image of the previous format. And the two column layout 'feels' like a magazine.

      But...

      With the old linear display, your posts were displayed in reverse order, latest post first, and all the posts were there unless you chose to remove or hide them. With Timeline, Facebook decides if the post is important enough to be displayed. If you don't have a lot of posts, that may not be an issue. But if you are prolific, it can be annoying to have FB decide what is important and what is not.

      If you get busy, and don't hangout at FB for a while, you visitors will see a lack of content at the top, and are forced to scroll down to see what you last posted. Or what FB considers important of what you last posted.

      This is especially annoying with the 'fan' pages. For example, last February we lost Warrior Vanessa Reece and her son put up a memorial community page. There were hundreds of posts as people said their goodbyes to V, and consoled each other over our loss. Since Timeline, there are a relative few number of posts. It's not much of tribute to Vanessa anymore.

      The same happens to business pages. Your business page could and should share valuable content you created yourself, or found and linked to on the web. Content that is just as valuable to your visitors today as it was the day you posted it. Before Timeline, that content was accessible, regardless of how long ago your last message was posted.

      Since Timeline, that content is filtered by FB, and if you haven't posted in a while, your page looks abandoned, with little or no content at the beginning of the page.

      IMO, cool looking or not, Timeline makes pages less relevant for all but personal use. And perhaps less relevant for personal use, as well.

      The only reason I don't delete my FB account now is I still have friends that only share things like their vacation photos on FB. If I delete the account, I won't have access to that content.

      The only posts you'll find on my FB page now are my Tweets on Twitter!

      For what it's worth, Timeline is the only interface change that Facebook has implemented that I haven't found to be an improvement.

      -Anita
      Signature
      Looking For A Short Cut To Online Retail Profits?
      OSOA on Facebook -- SimplySilk on Facebook

      Anita
      is one of several Moderators at "Live Marketing Chat"
      LMC, mixing work and fun on Saturday nights -- Google it
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6850928].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author nicholasb
    it's because people aren't adaptable to change and they love to have things to complain about.

    Being a successful entrepreneur requires you to be able to handle constant change and adaptability is a very essential trait of being a successful entrepreneur especially in the volatile world of the internet.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6850956].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author travlinguy
      Originally Posted by nicholasb View Post

      it's because people aren't adaptable to change and they love to have things to complain about.

      Being a successful entrepreneur requires you to be able to handle constant change and adaptability is a very essential trait of being a successful entrepreneur especially in the volatile world of the internet.
      I agree that people like to complain. But this isn't about complaining and adaptability. I see it as a discussion about a company that had something pretty close to perfect and they screwed it up. This has cost facebook members, lots of them. There are more than three million hits for the Google search "facebook timeline sucks."

      Now they're holding firm with the new platform for whatever reason when at least giving people the option to go with the new or keep the old would be reasonable.

      I see this as a lesson. A lesson called leave well enough alone.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6851490].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Cali16
        Certainly it's true that people often don't like change. But I don't believe for a minute that that's why most people are complaining about the switch to Timeline.

        If FB had done something to make the site more user friendly and provide a more enjoyable experience overall, some still would have grumbled at first. But it seems many people don't find Timeline user friendly or beneficial at all. Had it truly been an improvement, most people would have warmed up to it by now and the complaining would have died down. But instead, there are a ton of websites and YouTube videos claiming to show you how to change it back to the original format - because there is quite a demand to do so.

        I've never been much of a FB person. It's allowed me to reconnect with some old friends with whom I'd lost touch, but beyond that, I could easily live without it. Since the switch to Timeline, I'm like Travlinguy - I spend a few seconds on there (on the rare occasion I even log on anymore), shake my head, and log off. I don't care for it and think that FB made a big mistake by going in this direction.
        Signature
        If you don't face your fears, the only thing you'll ever see is what's in your comfort zone. ~Anne McClain, astronaut
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6851714].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author charlesmurphy
    I actually like the timeline
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6850988].message }}
    • Fluff: not knowing where to find an older piece of content wasn't one I'd thought about but I thought that Timeline was going to make that easier, what with the chronological order and all?

      Nope.

      Facebook doesn't show you every piece of content in Timeline.

      It's absolutely appalling. You give FB valuable information and FB gives you the shaft.

      fLufF
      --
      Signature
      Fiverr is looking for freelance writers for its blog. Details here.
      Love microjobs? Work when you want and get paid in cash the same day!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6851299].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Jinjer
    I'm not a big fan of the Timeline. I find it more difficult to find posts and updates now as it seems like a lot of times they get hidden. With the old format, everything was much more linear and easier to find and keep track of.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6851329].message }}

Trending Topics