Building email list - questions

by btyiw
16 replies
I'm in the process of building an email list in the dating niche and was talking to the developer of the squeeze page and he had some questions.

I plan on providing guys with an ebook for picking up women.

What do you guys think is better? Providing the download immediately after opt-in or in follow-up email?

And would it be good to incorporate a video in the squeeze page? I was going to hire an individual from fiverr to act as the creator of the free ebook with the hopes of getting higher amounts of opt-ins.

Feedback please
#building #email #list #questions
  • Profile picture of the author Ty Wagner
    Provide the download in a followup email after the confirmation link from the subscriber. The second page should be thanking the subscriber for opting in, and letting them know the ebook will be sent to their email after confirming.

    Try testing your conversions with plain text and work your way up to video.
    Signature

    Who is Ty Wagner? Find out Here.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6863422].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author btyiw
      Originally Posted by Ty Wagner View Post

      Provide the download in a followup email after the confirmation link from the subscriber. The second page should be thanking the subscriber for opting in, and letting them know the ebook will be sent to their email after confirming.

      Try testing your conversions with plain text and work your way up to video.
      Do you usually write your own squeeze copy or hire a freelancer to do it for you?
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6863561].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Alexa Smith
    Banned
    Originally Posted by btyiw View Post

    I was going to hire an individual from fiverr to act as the creator of the free ebook
    That's the one thing you've said that I can respond to: don't do that.

    First it's deceiving people; secondly it may well bring you adverse legal and/or regulatory interest; thirdly people recognise those Fiverr sellers doing their "pretending to be" acts and fake testimonials and so on, and it can do your image and credibility a great deal of harm; fourthly, if your host finds out that you've done it they may take your website down (it'll probably say in their smallprint that you're not allowed to use a site on their hosting to deceive people - it nearly always does); fifthly, your registrar may do the same over the domain-name; sixthly, if you use any international top-level domain (e.g. a .com) the FTC also has some jurisdiction over it regardless of where you live and where the site's hosted.

    This is all something of a no-brainer, really.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6863579].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author btyiw
      Originally Posted by Alexa Smith View Post

      That's the one thing you've said that I can respond to: don't do that.

      First it's deceiving people; secondly it may well bring you adverse legal and/or regulatory interest; thirdly people recognise those Fiverr sellers doing their "pretending to be" acts and fake testimonials and so on, and it can do your image and credibility a great deal of harm; fourthly, if your host finds out that you've done it they may take your website down (it'll probably say in their smallprint that you're not allowed to use a site on their hosting to deceive people - it nearly always does); fifthly, your registrar may do the same over the domain-name; sixthly, if you use any international top-level domain (e.g. a .com) the FTC also has some jurisdiction over it regardless of where you live and where the site's hosted.

      This is all something of a no-brainer, really.
      I understand but I cannot personally put my name or face on any of the material due to my professional work and personal life.

      Commercials on television clearly use actors as representatives for their brand, don't know why the FTC or any governmental organization would have an issue, especially if I'm not providing a fake testimonial. I'm just having someone represent the brand for me.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6863928].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Alexa Smith
        Banned
        Originally Posted by btyiw View Post

        Commercials on television clearly use actors as representatives for their brand
        I believe this varies from country to country: I'm used to the ones that show the word "actor" clearly, when that happens, to make sure that nobody's actually deceived. Otherwise they might be, don't you think?

        Originally Posted by btyiw View Post

        don't know why the FTC or any governmental organization would have an issue
        Respectfully, I think it's not too difficult to appreciate why regulators might have a problem with it (not to mention the 4 or 5 other reasons I mentioned for not doing it). But hey ... we can afford to agree to disagree, and I wish you good luck with your site.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6863948].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author shane_k
        Originally Posted by btyiw View Post

        I understand but I cannot personally put my name or face on any of the material due to my professional work and personal life.

        Commercials on television clearly use actors as representatives for their brand, don't know why the FTC or any governmental organization would have an issue, especially if I'm not providing a fake testimonial. I'm just having someone represent the brand for me.

        The difference is that these actors are not claiming to be the creators of the product itself. they are merely representing the product.

        You could hire someone off of fiverr and have them say something like they have a friend (you) who is really great at dating, and can really help them (the visitor) get more dates, have more successful dates, meet their dream mate, etc.

        Just don't have the actor make claims that they created the product when they didn't.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6868520].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Mark Alan
        There is an old saying nothing ventured noting gained. I think it applies here.

        Originally Posted by btyiw View Post

        I understand but I cannot personally put my name or face on any of the material due to my professional work and personal life.
        Signature
        Crazy Cheap Hosting Get Hosting for less than $2 per month + Free Domain Name Registration. Get Free SEO, Blogging and Internet Marketing Tips from the Solo Blogger.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6869402].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Justin Spencer
    Hello Btyiw,

    I would say that your decision making should be done in this part, only after you decide on your traffic sources.

    If you want better opt-ins (people who buy more) Google Adwords is your best friend. But they have high compliancy "things" you have to abide by to be connected with your best prospects.

    I recommend the following:

    1) Having your traffic download a PDF report from the site.

    If you PDF report is any good (no offense) they will read till the end.

    At the end of the report you will list a link that beckons them to get more of the mouth-watering information.

    That link will be your real squeeze page.

    This will make your list much higher in quality because your tribe will be pre qualifed and more responsive.

    Cheers,

    Justin
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6863589].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author btyiw
      Originally Posted by JustinSpence View Post

      Hello Btyiw,

      I would say that your decision making should be done in this part, only after you decide on your traffic sources.

      If you want better opt-ins (people who buy more) Google Adwords is your best friend. But they have high compliancy "things" you have to abide by to be connected with your best prospects.

      I recommend the following:

      1) Having your traffic download a PDF report from the site.

      If you PDF report is any good (no offense) they will read till the end.

      At the end of the report you will list a link that beckons them to get more of the mouth-watering information.

      That link will be your real squeeze page.

      This will make your list much higher in quality because your tribe will be pre qualifed and more responsive.

      Cheers,

      Justin
      Thanks for the feedback
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6863932].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author fedor50
    there are plenty of Plr dating ebooks you can get purchase and use to build an email list. I have a website in the dating niche and it's better to give them the free ebook after they subscribe to your list. Once their on your list, you can continue to market to them again and again.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6863950].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Randall Magwood
    You should test leading opt-ins to the download page as opposed to having them open their email to get your free ebook. I'm lazy so i typically use text on my squeeze page, but many have said that video can boost response like crazy. So test this too.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6864095].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author MarketingMinded
    I would definitely include the download link in a followup email after the subscribers confirms via the double opt in.

    P.S. - I have a free ebook in my signature that will be helpful to your list building efforts
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6864110].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author paul nicholls
    a good model would be to offer a cheap $5 - $11 paid product as a one time offer straight after the opt in

    you then have the option of adding extra products like upsells etc but a one time offer is fine to start with

    here is a helpful thread about sales funnels which will help you out

    this sales funnel can be applied to any niche and works like ganbusters

    http://www.warriorforum.com/main-int...es-funnel.html

    paul
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6865979].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Techo
    I think that giving the free book in the follow-up email is a better solution.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6866229].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author CsabaSzücs
    Provide the download after they confirmed via double opt-in.

    Video is an option not the holy grail. Check your competitors in the niche - there are many of them... and decide on it after that.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6866314].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author yanminis
    Split test. Create one page with the download link just after opt in and another with the download link in the confirmation page. Run it for a week or two, then choose the winner.

    Always treat each opt in like a an individual. Place yourself in his/her shoes. Ask yourself if you would like to wait for one more email to download the ebook or would you like to have it just after entering your email?

    Btw Aweber prefers double opt in to single one.
    Signature
    Saying thanks is more than good manners. So hit that little button please to pay it forward...
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6867190].message }}

Trending Topics