What do you use to ping your wordpress posts?

by Peter Helps 37 replies
I've been thinking about this. I know wordpress has a built in ping service but what happens when you update your blog post. Does it re-ping it again? If that's the case, the ping services might start seeing you as a spammer. Or am I wrong?

All in all, what do you use to ping your wordpress blog posts?

Thanks,

Peter
#main internet marketing discussion forum #ping #posts #wordpress
Avatar of Unregistered
  • Profile picture of the author Scott Ames
    Originally Posted by pk80356 View Post

    I've been thinking about this. I know wordpress has a built in ping service but what happens when you update your blog post. Does it re-ping it again? If that's the case, the ping services might start seeing you as a spammer. Or am I wrong?

    All in all, what do you use to ping your wordpress blog posts?

    Thanks,

    Peter
    Darn good question. I don't know either and would like to know what gives on the biggest bang.
    Signature

    Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm. -Winston Churchill

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[56864].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author skydivedad
    Hi Peter
    Depending on what version of WP your using but as far as I know Wordpress still pings whatever ping list you've installed everytime you make an edit which can get you in the bad graces of your ping list. I've been using Christian Davens Smart Update Pinger plugin to great effect. Instead of always pinging when saving a post, the plugin only pings when the post has not previously been published. Edits of posts are "silent", in contrast with the default behaviour. Also, you can see a log for the latest pings, together with error messages (in the options page).

    http://daven.se/usefulstuff/wordpress-plugins.html


    It would be wise to install this or another WP pluggin that over rides WP's default behavior. If you'd like my updated ping list to load into your site just send me a PM with your emaill address and I'll get that off to you. If you'd like info on installing a WP pluggin let me know I'm willing to help.
    All The Best
    Paul
    Signature

    Making Lemonaide... Skydivedad's Blog

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[56895].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author chrisgarrett
    Don't bother. Pinging doesn't work, or at least I haven't been able to find anyone with any evidence that it helps in any way. If you can point to some I am very willing to change my position
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[56910].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author asinGer
      I use pingomatic
      Signature

      Mr. Sig is on vacation...

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[56914].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author skydivedad
      Hi Chris
      I have to humbly disagree with your sweeping statement. I'll take that challenge up Chris. I've a pretty extensive Blog network all built with WP some dating back several years. If your referring to pinging only the default site(s) that come with WP or are not deploying your WP Site from your own server but built your site on the WP Network your probably correct, if you've invested time and testing building up your ping list and are using the methodology correctly it's defineatley to your sites advantage. I would bother making the effort (tiny as it is after installing the proper plugin and ping list) and do on every WP Site I deploy. It's especially effective when my sites are constructed with static html anchors pages and I've installed "The All in One SEO Plugin for WP" and several others. Additional other steps are needed in the initial deployment such as correctly changing the sites permalink stucture amoung other changes.
      Paul
      Signature

      Making Lemonaide... Skydivedad's Blog

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[56947].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Jamie Iaconis
      Originally Posted by chrisgarrett View Post

      Don't bother. Pinging doesn't work, or at least I haven't been able to find anyone with any evidence that it helps in any way. If you can point to some I am very willing to change my position

      I completely and utterly dis-agree also!!!

      You couldn't be any more far from the truth...

      Have you seen the other replies, do any
      say the same thing you are saying?

      You obviously are absolutely oblivious
      to the benefits of RSS and pinging!

      I'll stop now.

      Have a good day.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[57064].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author chrisgarrett
        Originally Posted by Jamie Iaconis View Post

        I completely and utterly dis-agree also!!!

        You obviously are absolutely oblivious
        to the benefits of RSS and pinging!
        Um, no, I am not

        I know the *stated* benefits, but in all my years blogging I have yet to see substantial evidence for those benefits.

        One or two visitors does not a traffic tactic make
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[57071].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author JayXtreme
          Originally Posted by chrisgarrett View Post

          Um, no, I am not

          I know the *stated* benefits, but in all my years blogging I have yet to see substantial evidence for those benefits.

          One or two visitors does not a traffic tactic make
          LOL... whilst I see the point you make.. I have to politefully disagree..

          "pinging" is a notification tactic is all... the "benefits" are a notification sent out to the social services across the net... you may not agree that "pinging" works, because your definition of the word is wrong....

          Jay
          Signature

          Bare Murkage.........

          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[57084].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author chrisgarrett
            Originally Posted by JayXtreme View Post


            "pinging" is a notification tactic is all... the "benefits" are a notification sent out to the social services across the net... you may not agree that "pinging" works, because your definition of the word is wrong....
            Enlighten me Jay

            You ping the services to let them know you have fresh content. Then, in theory, someone sees that content and clicks, right?

            Does that actually happen for YOU?

            To me it is up there (down there?) with directory submissions - who has seen more than, say a handful of visitors from a directory lately?

            The problem with this concept for me is these sites and services do not send traffic, so notifying them of your great content does pretty much no good.

            Please show me I am wrong, I do want to hear success stories other than "you are wrong because everyone says pinging is good"
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[57093].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author JayXtreme
              Originally Posted by chrisgarrett View Post

              Enlighten me Jay
              Mine is not to enlighten those when words fall on deaf ears Chris..

              "you are wrong because everyone says pinging is good"
              Did anybody say this??.....

              Anyhow... I literally see that DAY in DAY out I can ping keyword targeted blog posts and have them hit the first page on major search engines within an hour...and then as a result of this I see traffic...

              That's enough evidence for me to keep a ping list... it's an automated reaction to me clicking publish... what's the deal?

              Jay

              p.s. The fact that you always "thought" that backlinks were discounted from the social site's shows me that you have a limited knowledge of this particular subject... my backlinks still show up to niche site's from the socials....
              Signature

              Bare Murkage.........

              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[57120].message }}
              • Profile picture of the author chrisgarrett
                Originally Posted by JayXtreme View Post

                DAY in DAY out I can ping keyword targeted blog posts and have them hit the first page on major search engines within an hour.
                Within an *hour* you get first page results in *major* search engines? Just by pinging?

                Can you give me an example of a phrase where you did this?

                I'm really not trying to get into an argument or deny anyone's experience, I just haven't been able to replicate any of the benefits in my own testing, and believe me I have tried.


                Originally Posted by JayXtreme

                p.s. The fact that you always "thought" that backlinks were discounted from the social site's shows me that you have a limited knowledge of this particular subject... my backlinks still show up to niche site's from the socials....
                I haven't mentioned any socials sites.

                Added: Now we are getting somewhere!

                You mean you update your social network profiles with your new content, not directories and search sites such as Technorati?
                {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[57138].message }}
                • Profile picture of the author JayXtreme
                  Originally Posted by chrisgarrett View Post

                  You mean you update your social network profiles with your new content, not directories and search sites such as Technorati?
                  Maybe there is a definition barrier getting in our way here.. I didn't mean social networking profiles..... I meant the pings that are sent out to those site's that are socials..<--we call it a social ping list here

                  Pingomatic etc..

                  Jay
                  Signature

                  Bare Murkage.........

                  {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[57156].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author dwooding
      Originally Posted by chrisgarrett View Post

      Don't bother. Pinging doesn't work, or at least I haven't been able to find anyone with any evidence that it helps in any way. If you can point to some I am very willing to change my position
      Hi Chris,

      It has for me - for getting indexed and getting visitors from the search engines (Google specifically) - both for wordpress blogs and static sites.

      How To Get Indexed In Google

      Dave
      Signature
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[57086].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author waken
    Originally Posted by pk80356 View Post

    I've been thinking about this. I know wordpress has a built in ping service but what happens when you update your blog post. Does it re-ping it again? If that's the case, the ping services might start seeing you as a spammer. Or am I wrong?

    All in all, what do you use to ping your wordpress blog posts?

    Thanks,

    Peter
    If your "update" refers to a new post, there shouldn't be a problem with ping services. Isn't that what we want? (To notify all SE etc. that we have just made a post so that they will come, crawl and index)

    But if you're making > 10 post in a day which might not possible unless you're using automatic blogging tools or scripts, then it's better to disable the automatic ping.

    And if your "update" means editing an existing post, the default ping in Wordpress will re-ping every time you edit the post which is not good. I'm using this Ultimate Plugins Smart Update Pinger [Ultimate Plugins] and works all right.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[56921].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Frank Bruno
      In the last few versions of Word press you can either select ping or deselect ping, as well as comments in the administration panel below your blog post.

      So if you make a change to your blog post all you have to do is either select or deselect comment or ping before you save the post, and it will not re-ping the post.

      Frank Bruno
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[56935].message }}
Avatar of Unregistered

Trending Topics