Are Fixed Term Membership Sites still Profitable in 2012??

by nmvt
45 replies
Was considering starting a fixed term membership site, but wanted to know if it was still profitable in 2012? And what niches would be best? Hopefully there are people still running FTM sites that could shed a little light on the subject. I was thinking about the "HOW TO" niche..... and drip weekly content to the members for like 6mos or maybe even a year..
#2012 #fixed #membership #profitable #sites #term
  • Profile picture of the author Ron Douglas
    Of course. Why wouldn't they be?

    Just like anything else though, success or failure depends on what you offer, who you offer it to, and how you market it.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6927812].message }}
  • {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6927858].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author nmvt
    Anybody else currently running a FTM site? Would like to get your take on this.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6928127].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Rose Anderson
    I'm currently a member of one. If you offer people information in a topic they're interested in they'll sign-up. But it depends on your ability to market and whether you keep offering valuable information.

    Rose
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6928270].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Marcus Rockey
    There is a ton of money to be made but really you have to set yourself well apart from the competition to succeed.

    I believe that the majority of effort must be invested in marketing. Yes the content of the site is crucial but without a prospect/client base that trust you first you are unlikely to succeed.

    You must check out this thread first as there are some great posts....

    Also, what about the overall business objectives and obstacles to reach them?

    Marcus Rockey
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6928302].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Johnny Danes
    Banned
    See the porn industry. That's pretty much their entire business model. They were doing it long for "mainstream" IMer's started doing it.


    To me, the porn industry is the original IM. They were doing ad swaps and JV's long before it become "vogue" with the mainstreamers.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6928389].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author nmvt
    Originally Posted by Marcus Rockey View Post

    I'm not going to type out specifics but check my signature link if you want more insight.

    Marcus
    Huh? Im not sore or not succeeding in online ventures, so why would i want your free ebook?? I asked if fixed membership sites were still profitable. I just didnt understand what that meant or how it pertained to my question.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6928649].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author InfiniteInc
      Originally Posted by nmvt View Post

      Huh? Im not sore or not succeeding in online ventures, so why would i want your free ebook?? I asked if fixed membership sites were still profitable. I just didnt understand what that meant or how it pertained to my question.
      I'm thinking that his post was just self promotion. I don't really see how it's relevant either.

      I was actually a member of a fixed membership site about a year and a half ago and I found the reason it did so well it that it had perks that I couldn't find anywhere else online. There was great information, tools, assistance. All around it was something that you could come back to time and time again. Sometimes that can be hard to find for certain niches. So it really depends on having great content and making sure people know about it through marketing.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6928689].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author nmvt
        Originally Posted by InfiniteInc View Post

        I'm thinking that his post was just self promotion. I don't really see how it's relevant either.

        I was actually a member of a fixed membership site about a year and a half ago and I found the reason it did so well it that it had perks that I couldn't find anywhere else online. There was great information, tools, assistance. All around it was something that you could come back to time and time again. Sometimes that can be hard to find for certain niches. So it really depends on having great content and making sure people know about it through marketing.
        Thanks Infinite Inc!!
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6928766].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author nmvt
    I've read thru alot of post on here about this subject, and not once have i heard..if you dont have a list or some sort of following..u wont succeed. Its people that started these sites(FTM) and had no list or fanbase and are were making big bank monthly.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6928679].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author easternodyssey
    The problem is marketing the website, unless you can get the site ranking high people will not pay the money to sign up to the website. However, i still think the idea works, though has a very limited amount of niches you could focus on.
    Signature
    Eastern Odyssey | The Definitive Guide to Asia
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6928718].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author shane_k
      Originally Posted by easternodyssey View Post

      The problem is marketing the website, unless you can get the site ranking high people will not pay the money to sign up to the website. However, i still think the idea works, though has a very limited amount of niches you could focus on.

      People are not going to pay for a membership because of your ranking on Google. They are going to pay for a membership based on what you are offering them.

      Sure ranking high can get your more eyes that will see your site, but you can also find that traffic in other areas besides Google, like facebook, twitter, banner ads, PPC, there are a ton of other traffic strategies besides Google.

      Not only that but there are thousands of niches that you could have a membership for, why? Because there are millions, billions of people in this world and we all have different interests, desires, passions, and alot of use are willing to spend monthly for those interests and passions.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6929170].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Marcus Rockey
    I am talking about pre-eminence and authority in a particular niche. Along side this there is the need for you to know the beliefs, frustrations and desires of your prospects so you can meet their needs through your content.

    If you can meet their needs through content then you bridge the gap between where they are and purchasing.

    All good marketers have this understanding. Building a list, creating trust and targeted value are essential for success. Your prospect will buy via emotion.

    Does this make sense?

    Who buys without trust? Perhaps a small minority but without it building a sustainable business that provides financial independence is going to be virtually impossible.

    Marcus
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6928721].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author nmvt
      Originally Posted by Marcus Rockey View Post

      I am talking about pre-eminence and authority in a particular niche. Along side this there is the need for you to know the beliefs, frustrations and desires of your prospects so you can meet their needs through your content.

      If you can meet their needs through content then you bridge the gap between where they are and purchasing.

      All good marketers have this understanding. Building a list, creating trust and targeted value are essential for success. Your prospect will buy via emotion.

      Does this make sense?

      Who buys without trust? Perhaps a small minority but without it building a sustainable business that provides financial independence is going to be virtually impossible.

      Marcus
      All you had to say is have content thats in demand and that people will pay for!! Which i already knew..thats in the finding your niche area. As far as building a list, of course you need to build a list with your customers base to keep a relationship...but to say if you dont have a list before starting the FTM, you wont be successful is ludacris..people have started these sites with no list before hand and make over 10k monthly. I've even heard from threads on here to start a membership site to build your list! Thanks for your opinion though!:rolleyes:
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6928790].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author shane_k
        Originally Posted by nmvt View Post

        All you had to say is have content thats in demand and that people will pay for!! Which i already knew..thats in the finding your niche area. As far as building a list, of course you need to build a list with your customers base to keep a relationship...but to say if you dont have a list before starting the FTM, you wont be successful is ludacris..people have started these sites with no list before hand and make over 10k monthly. I've even heard from threads on here to start a membership site to build your list! Thanks for your opinion though!:rolleyes:

        Marcus never said anything in his responses to you about having to build a list.

        But anyway, building a list can help but it is not needed.

        Why?

        Because your membership site becomes your list.

        If you think about it, why do we want to have a list, to have more than one chance to promote a product to someone, to create value for them, to build a relationship with them, to build trust, and loyalty to the point where we are the ones they think of first and turn to when they have a problem they want solved.

        When you start promoting your membership site, as you get more and more subscribers you can do the same things, building a relationship with them, building trust, and loyalty, all at the same time as you are adding more and more subscribers to your site.

        You have better interaction with your site subscribers than you would with your email subsribers, thus you can ask them questions about what specific problems they are having, what questions they want answered, what concerns they might have, etc, and create better targeted videos, books, reports, audio's to these things, providing even more value then if you were to just send out a product that you choose to promote off of clickbank.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6929214].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author nmvt
          Originally Posted by shane_k View Post

          Marcus never said anything in his responses to you about having to build a list.

          But anyway, building a list can help but it is not needed.

          Why?

          Because your membership site becomes your list.

          If you think about it, why do we want to have a list, to have more than one chance to promote a product to someone, to create value for them, to build a relationship with them, to build trust, and loyalty to the point where we are the ones they think of first and turn to when they have a problem they want solved.

          When you start promoting your membership site, as you get more and more subscribers you can do the same things, building a relationship with them, building trust, and loyalty, all at the same time as you are adding more and more subscribers to your site.

          You have better interaction with your site subscribers than you would with your email subsribers, thus you can ask them questions about what specific problems they are having, what questions they want answered, what concerns they might have, etc, and create better targeted videos, books, reports, audio's to these things, providing even more value then if you were to just send out a product that you choose to promote off of clickbank.
          "I believe that the majority of effort must be invested in marketing. Yes the content of the site is crucial but without a prospect/client base that trust you first you are unlikely to succeed."-insert from his post

          Its the same as saying having a list before hand, which you dont need to build a FTM site.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6929251].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Rose Anderson
    I had two reasons for joining the membership site instead of using Google.

    1. The information was on a specialized topic that is not found all over the internet.

    2. My time is worth something to me and I didn't want to waste time searching all over the internet.

    I wanted the information delivered directly to me. I wanted to know it was written by someone who had actually used the information and made a profit with the method. I wanted to ask that person questions if needed.

    Rose
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6928899].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author JohnMcCabe
      Originally Posted by illinimatt81 View Post


      -What about free content that is just a Google search away?
      If all you have to offer is free content that is just a Google search away, you're doing it wrong.

      At a bare minimum, you should be able to help sort the wheat from the chaff, organize it in logical steps, provide context, and provide additional insights and resources.

      Flattening the learning curve for people is valuable, and people are willing to pay for it.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6928958].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author nmvt
        Originally Posted by JohnMcCabe View Post

        If all you have to offer is free content that is just a Google search away, you're doing it wrong.

        At a bare minimum, you should be able to help sort the wheat from the chaff, organize it in logical steps, provide context, and provide additional insights and resources.

        Flattening the learning curve for people is valuable, and people are willing to pay for it.
        Exactly, not all google content puts things in perspective on how to do things from step A to step Z!!
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6928981].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Walter Parrish
          Your best bet is to check out this thread that started a few days ago. A lot of Membership Site Guru's and folks with experience there. So Who's Raking It In With Membership Sites.
          Signature
          Use Feeder Sites, Articles, And Social Media Sites To Generate Unstoppable Traffic, FREE! Click Here Now To Get It For FREE
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6929147].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author nmvt
            Originally Posted by Walter Parrish View Post

            Your best bet is to check out this thread that started a few days ago. A lot of Membership Site Guru's and folks with experience there. So Who's Raking It In With Membership Sites.
            Thanks..looking at it now!!
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6929156].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author shane_k
              Originally Posted by nmvt View Post

              Thanks..looking at it now!!

              I would be careful about some of the things in this thread just because there are some people in there who are seeing dollar signs in their eyes when thinking about membership sites, and thinking that they are going to be able to put in the absolute minimum effort and get maximum income for that.

              There is great information in there, but please, please, please, do not think like some of the ones I mentioned above.

              Having a membership site takes a lot of work, but it is definately worth it.
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6929239].message }}
              • Profile picture of the author nmvt
                Originally Posted by shane_k View Post

                I would be careful about some of the things in this thread just because there are some people in there who are seeing dollar signs in their eyes when thinking about membership sites, and thinking that they are going to be able to put in the absolute minimum effort and get maximum income for that.

                There is great information in there, but please, please, please, do not think like some of the ones I mentioned above.

                Having a membership site takes a lot of work, but it is definately worth it.
                Trust me..i know! I have a niche dating membership site and its nothing but work. But i wanted to get incite on Fixed Term membership sites, cause thats a new area to me..as far as having people to pay for information on how to do certain things. I know the overall concept is the same, but the audience is different and spending habits. Of course its about making money..but its also about quality as well!
                {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6929273].message }}
              • Profile picture of the author Walter Parrish
                Originally Posted by shane_k View Post

                I would be careful about some of the things in this thread just because there are some people in there who are seeing dollar signs in their eyes when thinking about membership sites, and thinking that they are going to be able to put in the absolute minimum effort and get maximum income for that.

                There is great information in there, but please, please, please, do not think like some of the ones I mentioned above.

                Having a membership site takes a lot of work, but it is definately worth it.
                well, my point was to give him something to read where there are people who are actually running membership sites. rather than just listening to folks with ideas and theories, who have done nothing.
                Signature
                Use Feeder Sites, Articles, And Social Media Sites To Generate Unstoppable Traffic, FREE! Click Here Now To Get It For FREE
                {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6930226].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Marcus Rockey
    I have not intended to offend you at all though I might have.

    I have not said you must have a list either but a client base (followers and others that know you) is needed.

    Marcus
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6928939].message }}
  • {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6928968].message }}
  • {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6929224].message }}
  • {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6929641].message }}
  • {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6930019].message }}
  • {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6930291].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Rose Anderson
    There is also an all-in-one thread on membership sites that has some good information.

    Rose
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6930376].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author quiescen
    I run a piano lessons membership site. But it's specialized. New Age only. Been doing it successfully for 10 years now - a lifetime online.

    The secret? Exceed expectations and deliver excellent content people want and believe is valuable. Do this and you should succeed. The key is micro-niching and finding a big enough market to meet your goals.

    The recurring income is great and I give new content ever 3-4 weeks. If you go into this remember- patience and persistance pay off. If you're committed and willing to work for it, no other business model can match it for a recurring, stable income.
    Signature

    Play Piano in Just 1-Hour! Free Lesson Shows You How!
    Online Piano Lessons by Quiescence Music

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6930420].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author nmvt
      Originally Posted by quiescen View Post

      I run a piano lessons membership site. But it's specialized. New Age only. Been doing it successfully for 10 years now - a lifetime online.

      The secret? Exceed expectations and deliver excellent content people want and believe is valuable. Do this and you should succeed. The key is micro-niching and finding a big enough market to meet your goals.

      The recurring income is great and I give new content ever 3-4 weeks. If you go into this remember- patience and persistance pay off. If you're committed and willing to work for it, no other business model can match it for a recurring, stable income.
      Thank you for the advice! Definitely helpful.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6930457].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Prosper2day
    People will pay for quality give them a good reason to stay in the loop.

    I won't pay for rehashed tips and tricks, it has to be cutting edge!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6930464].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author sodette1
    You know... of course Fixed Term Memberships work.

    As do most other kinds of memberships or products or programs or services.

    If... you work at them.

    You seem to feel that having a list is optional - and, sure... you can have success online with no list.

    Sure, you can build a successful FTM or any other kind of product sale or membership site without a list.

    Sure, you can - but if you feel it's optional or that it's not needed as a priority first or that it's not a better prerequisite to have a list initially, you're sadly mistaken.

    Lists aren't necessary - but, they are kinda like air - it makes it a lot easier to breath when you have it.

    I've been doing FTM's since Jimmy D. Brown coined the term and sold his Mmebernaire many years ago... since Russell Brunson modified it and added the free front end videos... and, I can tell you that there simply is no "Easy."

    It's all work... but it's work worth doing if you are in the right market at the right time with a great offer and a well placed message to market match and...

    If you can get your offer in front of the target audience you want to see what it is you are offering - i.e. a list.

    You CAN build a site with no list... but it's not nearly as prudent as building a targeted list first and then marketing your site to them.

    Being dogmatic about a position that is not advantageous isn't good for anyone... there is a reason that most marketers online tell you to build a list; because it is just good business.

    I can't tell you how much money I've personally lost over the years because of two huge mistakes I've made in my own marketing:

    Mistake #1: Didn't build my lists.
    Mistake #2: When I did build my lists - I ignored them.

    Disregard these at your own peril.

    Also... as a side note, focusing on building your list gives you clarity on who your target market really is and what they honestly WANT (not NEED - big difference).

    Just offering my $.02 - had to chime in... generalities defending less than intelligent positions that can harm others... as a personal choice, these are fine, as a teaching or point of business position other new marketers might adapt - I feel they can be misunderstood and need clarity.
    Signature

    NEW MEMBERSHIP PLATFORM! PayPal (Express Checkout!), JVZoo, ClickBank, Stripe, Authorize.net, Powerful Coaching Software, Blogging Platform, Forum, Landing Pages, Themes, Coupons, Manage Videos, Audios, Downloads easily, Amazon S3 Integration, Reporting System, Complete Affiliate Management, Membership Management... much more.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6935247].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author nmvt
      Originally Posted by sodette1 View Post

      You know... of course Fixed Term Memberships work.

      As do most other kinds of memberships or products or programs or services.

      If... you work at them.

      You seem to feel that having a list is optional - and, sure... you can have success online with no list.

      Sure, you can build a successful FTM or any other kind of product sale or membership site without a list.

      Sure, you can - but if you feel it's optional or that it's not needed as a priority first or that it's not a better prerequisite to have a list initially, you're sadly mistaken.

      Lists aren't necessary - but, they are kinda like air - it makes it a lot easier to breath when you have it.

      I've been doing FTM's since Jimmy D. Brown coined the term and sold his Mmebernaire many years ago... since Russell Brunson modified it and added the free front end videos... and, I can tell you that there simply is no "Easy."

      It's all work... but it's work worth doing if you are in the right market at the right time with a great offer and a well placed message to market match and...

      If you can get your offer in front of the target audience you want to see what it is you are offering - i.e. a list.

      You CAN build a site with no list... but it's not nearly as prudent as building a targeted list first and then marketing your site to them.

      Being dogmatic about a position that is not advantageous isn't good for anyone... there is a reason that most marketers online tell you to build a list; because it is just good business.

      I can't tell you how much money I've personally lost over the years because of two huge mistakes I've made in my own marketing:

      Mistake #1: Didn't build my lists.
      Mistake #2: When I did build my lists - I ignored them.

      Disregard these at your own peril.

      Also... as a side note, focusing on building your list gives you clarity on who your target market really is and what they honestly WANT (not NEED - big difference).

      Just offering my $.02 - had to chime in... generalities defending less than intelligent positions that can harm others... as a personal choice, these are fine, as a teaching or point of business position other new marketers might adapt - I feel they can be misunderstood and need clarity.
      Thanks for the feedback! And the misconception was that you need a list or fanbase to even make a FTM site work period, is what i was defending. Sure, to have a list before hand would make everything go well, but i was saying its people out here who didnt have a list before there FTM launch and they still made money. Of course, once the site goes live..you should have a aweber or getresponse in place, cause it will make everything easier in terms of keeping a open line of communication with you customers. And definitely in internet marketing you should be building a list from day one of starting online period. But, i wouldnt use my list that i built up for a make money online program to market my learn to play the piano FTM site..lol, thats would be just pure untargted traffic, which would prolly lead to a low if not no conversons at all I honor your opinion though, because you are a O.G. as we call it..lol..in this arena!!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6936203].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Clouisdhon
    PLR Membership sites should always be profitable
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6936390].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author John Lenaghan
      Of course they still work, but it's not a magic solution. If you set up a fixed term membership in the wrong market, or don't promote it well, it's not going to be very successful.

      The mechanics of your offer isn't really the important thing - whether it's a fixed term membership, ebook, video course, coaching or whatever. Matching it to your topic and audience is what matters.

      For example, creating a fixed term membership about web hosting probably doesn't make sense. Once someone buys hosting, they just aren't going to care enough to keep paying to learn more.

      But an FTM about getting website traffic is probably more likely to sell since it's an ongoing thing.

      John
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6936777].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author playhard
    Yeah I think they are worth while if you have a unique angle
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6936854].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Rod Cortez
    Originally Posted by nmvt View Post

    Was considering starting a fixed term membership site, but wanted to know if it was still profitable in 2012? And what niches would be best? Hopefully there are people still running FTM sites that could shed a little light on the subject. I was thinking about the "HOW TO" niche..... and drip weekly content to the members for like 6mos or maybe even a year..
    Think of it this way. People are making money selling e-books at $17, $37, $47 price range. That's just one product. With a fixed-term membership website you're making income for as long as you have the duration set (3 months, 5 months, 12 months, whatevever).

    So yes, they're still very lucrative. And remember, you can still promote to your membership in a variety of ways, so you can still profit on the backend.

    RoD
    Signature
    "Your personal philosophy is the greatest determining factor in how your life works out."
    - Jim Rohn
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6936873].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Tayman
      Yes they still work.

      I am a part of one where I pay 99 per month.

      Why?

      Because the knowledge I gain from this site every month has paid for the membership ten fold.

      Membership sites work the same as any other product. As long as you can convince your potential customer that what you offer is a much higher value than the money in their pocket, you have a potential winner.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6937119].message }}

Trending Topics