I think most people come back with "With that attitude you can't do anything! Change your attitude!" or "Just take action!" like it's all about attitude and motivation. It's untrue though, you can try and fail with a GREAT attitude! I did!
Internet marketing is NOT just a mental game, it requires physical work. If you feel all gushy inside after reading some sweet little post about feeling good about yourself and taking action then still sit around and do nothing you NEED, no MUST, read the book 7 Steps For Highly Effective People!!!
IM requires physical action. Always. Motivate yourself to do that action and then worry about more actions! If the physical plan is a failure from the start then you can't expect success. It does NOT mean your average guy can't make money online. I make money online and I'm average. But just because I (or anyone else) makes money online does NOT mean anyone can either! But, the good news, anyone who is computer literate and has a business mind can succeed!
I'm not going to get into specifics here about one technique or another. There's at least 500,000 posts in this forum detailing exactly those things.
My point here is to tell you this: KNOW and CONTROL where you get your information from!
There are five main players in the IM world and you MUST know this....get your info from the wrong side and you're doomed to fail.
0. Google....yes they are the world richest internet marketer. They did it right from the very beginning. They have all the eyes. Most of their updates are to undermine what YOU do and drive a constantly increasing higher end of traffic to adsense ads (panda anyone?).
1. the $$BIG$$ guys....they work on becoming billionaires. You NEVER hear about them, they are invisible. They live on tax friendly islands and have interest groups and corporations run their nearly invisible empires.
2. The "John Chows"....super in-your-face all about IM marketers who make their money off of motivation and half explained ideas, but they never quite give all the details, stringing you on for years.
3. Scum marketers.... They set up campaigns or write ebooks to sell you things you don't need, or ideas that make little money. They promise millions of dollars and upsell 2-3 times just to get off the squeezepage. In the end all you have is another crappy ebook and people saying things like " 80% will never make this work cuz they are too lazy!". In truth their ideas are pure failure because most have no experience whatsoever and are simply rehashing old ideas into a "new" program.
4. Us. We. The rest of us. We spend our time researching what works and we do it. We make a little to a lot, some make $1k-$2k a year, some make $1k-$2k a week, but that's it. We're not super rich yacht owners, and we're not masters of all things IM. We found a working platform and treated it like a business and it paid off.
5. The failures.....the so called 80%. The ones who want this to work but are scared of failure and have closed minds. A 9-5 mindset that keeps them tied to a paycheck and a boss. They are nothing but fodder for the "John Chows" and scum marketers.
Figure out where you fit in, I bet it's #4, possibly #5. Think about who is giving you information. Is it #3? What if it's #2? Is that ok?.
This is how I rank them.....
0. Read what they're doing, keep up with trends and try to get along as best you can. Learn from them.
1. Forget it, unless one happens to be your uncle you won't ever even know they're in internet marketing.
2. For some basic tips and top ten lists, sure. need to know the best plugins for wordpress? Turn here. But don't hold your breath for any serious plans or inside info like they promise.
3. Most people get their info from these guys. This is TERRIBLE!! This is the most common reason why people fail and waste money, they (you! and me!) listened to these guys!! I picture them in my head as some greasy weirdo that lives in a van and gives shady advice in back alleys. Would you use that sort of information to run a Fortune 500 company? Then why would you use it to start yours?
4. HERE!!! YES!!! THIS!!! Get your information from this group, emulate (not copy) what they have done! This is where you find success and learn how to make real money.
5. Never, ever! Don't listen to these people! Deep down they are jealous but at the same time think you're crazy! They wish they could make easy money online, but can't imagine life without a corporate paycheck coming in every week. Most times their mindset seems incurable, but in fact it's worse...it's spreading! They can't stand your success and want you to conform just like they did.
Unfortunately anyone in group #4 will be bombarded by info from #3 and have lots and lots of #5 in their friends and family. You have to drown them out if you ever want real success in internet marketing! Find the #4's and listen to them!