Don't want to start a Riot: Why Internet marketing?

by kekka
18 replies
Hi,

I've been a member for some time now but only just started to post on the WF.

My questions are: Why Internet Marketing and What made you pursue this kind of career?

I signed up to the WF because of a purchase I made. I have read and looked at posts with different kinds of systems, resources and software's that help in the IM world.

Is it worth it? Truthfully! Can newbies succeed? What does it actually take to make it?

I would really like to hear stories, whether successful or not as I am interested to find out and make my decision on which way to go, either

YES Internet Marketing OR NO Internet Marketing

Thanks, Keep Smiling
#internet #marketing #riot #start
  • Profile picture of the author SandyDuPlessis
    Well, I could simply say "YES" to internet marketing, but I rather think that you want a bit more information than that.

    First of all, it is important to accept that IM is a business. Like any other business time; skills; focus; experience; correct niche; sales ability; and several other things that I can't think of right now, all play a part.

    Yes, there is money to be made, but whether you make it or not is entirely dependent on you. This is no different to any business, online or offline. Some people will succeed and some people won't. A few people will hit the sweet spot fast and others will never find it.

    Can newbies truly succeed? yes, of course they can, but it obviously depends on their skills, determination and ability to get people on their side.

    As for me. I got into it quite by accident. I was living in a country where very few western women were permitted to work, except as school teachers or nurses. I did not have those particular skills and was bored shitless.

    Needless to say, I did not have a mentor. I had to scrabble and scrape to learn anything. It was only 2 years later that I found the WF - I still did not have a mentor, but at least I had found a place where with a little bit of searching I could find the answers (and even the questions)

    Yes, by this time the bug had bitten deep - My biggest problem was that I did not have enough confidence in my own skills and knowledge. Maybe the reason was that I had "found" IM rather late in life. I seemed (to me) to be entering an arena that was dominated by young people.

    Who the hell was I? Why on earth was I trying to compete with people younger than my own children?

    The answer! Because I could; because I loved it.

    And guess what? I suddenly found that there were lots of highly successful IM'ers in my own age group. So, I started to watch them and learn from them. Don't make any mistake. I also watched and learned from the younger generation.

    Am I successful? Not quite, but I am getting there. It is extremely difficult to succeed in IM without a mentor but if you watch, learn, listen, contribute a mentor will find you.

    To repeat - my answer is "yes" to Internet Marketing.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6978704].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author kekka
      Originally Posted by SandyDuPlessis View Post

      Well, I could simply say "YES" to internet marketing, but I rather think that you want a bit more information than that.

      First of all, it is important to accept that IM is a business. Like any other business time; skills; focus; experience; correct niche; sales ability; and several other things that I can't think of right now, all play a part.

      Yes, there is money to be made, but whether you make it or not is entirely dependent on you. This is no different to any business, online or offline. Some people will succeed and some people won't. A few people will hit the sweet spot fast and others will never find it.

      Can newbies truly succeed? yes, of course they can, but it obviously depends on their skills, determination and ability to get people on their side.

      As for me. I got into it quite by accident. I was living in a country where very few western women were permitted to work, except as school teachers or nurses. I did not have those particular skills and was bored shitless.

      Needless to say, I did not have a mentor. I had to scrabble and scrape to learn anything. It was only 2 years later that I found the WF - I still did not have a mentor, but at least I had found a place where with a little bit of searching I could find the answers (and even the questions)

      Yes, by this time the bug had bitten deep - My biggest problem was that I did not have enough confidence in my own skills and knowledge. Maybe the reason was that I had "found" IM rather late in life. I seemed (to me) to be entering an arena that was dominated by young people.

      Who the hell was I? Why on earth was I trying to compete with people younger than my own children?

      The answer! Because I could; because I loved it.

      And guess what? I suddenly found that there were lots of highly successful IM'ers in my own age group. So, I started to watch them and learn from them. Don't make any mistake. I also watched and learned from the younger generation.

      Am I successful? Not quite, but I am getting there. It is extremely difficult to succeed in IM without a mentor but if you watch, learn, listen, contribute a mentor will find you.

      To repeat - my answer is "yes" to Internet Marketing.
      I can relate to that Sandy, Thank you and I hope you continue doing what you love.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6979145].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Kal Sallam
    Well we did eBay for years but after they have gotten tedious to work with,
    We started selling info products on our own site "internet marketing"

    No shipping No extra fees No out of business overnight! Lol.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6978882].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author kekka
      Originally Posted by Kal Sallam View Post

      Well we did eBay for years but after they have gotten tedious to work with,
      We started selling info products on our own site "internet marketing"

      No shipping No extra fees No out of business overnight! Lol.
      So true Kal!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6979132].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author iRunThis
    Originally Posted by kekka View Post

    Hi,

    I've been a member for some time now but only just started to post on the WF.

    My questions are: Why Internet Marketing and What made you pursue this kind of career?

    I signed up to the WF because of a purchase I made. I have read and looked at posts with different kinds of systems, resources and software's that help in the IM world.

    Is it worth it? Truthfully! Can newbies succeed? What does it actually take to make it?

    I would really like to hear stories, whether successful or not as I am interested to find out and make my decision on which way to go, either

    YES Internet Marketing OR NO Internet Marketing

    Thanks, Keep Smiling
    1.I chose to pursue Internet Marketing because in my honest opinion, it's the best way to build your own business and be able to scale it up whenever you choose, and to whatever level you choose. An offline business, well, sure you can scale it up. But the population online is simply much larger than any local population on the planet.

    2. If it wasn't worth it, I wouldn't be here typing to you right now.
    - Newbies can succeed. It takes dedication to make it. It takes action! Find one business model and stick to it until it works. It ALL works! People just tend to give up right before the big break through.

    I don't have to share my experience for you to figure out if YOU want to do internet marketing. Everybody has a different experience, some bad, some good. The experience you have is all up to YOU! Some people started internet marketing and went dead broke. Others, well, they're living their dream life.

    If you want to do it, DO IT! But make sure you give it all you got.

    JaVaun T
    Signature
    "Grammar: The difference between knowing your sh*t, and knowing you're sh*t." -A Wise Man
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6978888].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author kekka
      Wow, thanks for the input.

      I felt a great deal of passion coming from your writing as you had replied to my post. I have been "on the fence" as they say when it comes to IM. I have got a great idea of what I want to do but I must say the only thing stopping me is FEAR.

      FEAR of failure
      FEAR of putting everything into my idea that if it goes belly up, I'm stumped.

      I have total respect for those that have bitten the bullet and gone into IM head first, I just haven't had the courage to jump in myself.

      Maybe my idea is stupid. Maybe it won't work because nobody I know is doing anything like what I have an idea about.

      Should I just go for it, or is there someone out there that I can tell my idea to that won't steal it and take it for themselves. Is that a bit too risky? :confused:
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6978990].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author iRunThis
        Originally Posted by kekka View Post

        Wow, thanks for the input.

        I felt a great deal of passion coming from your writing as you had replied to my post. I have been "on the fence" as they say when it comes to IM. I have got a great idea of what I want to do but I must say the only thing stopping me is FEAR.

        FEAR of failure
        FEAR of putting everything into my idea that if it goes belly up, I'm stumped.

        I have total respect for those that have bitten the bullet and gone into IM head first, I just haven't had the courage to jump in myself.

        Maybe my idea is stupid. Maybe it won't work because nobody I know is doing anything like what I have an idea about.

        Should I just go for it, or is there someone out there that I can tell my idea to that won't steal it and take it for themselves. Is that a bit too risky? :confused:
        Well, first off, FEAR (especially fear of failure) is what causes you to fail. You miss 100% of the shots you never take. What do you have to lose by jumping in? ABSOLUTELY NOTHING! Because you can make ANYTHING work online, it may take failing to learn what didn't work, but once you keep figuring out what doesn't work, you'll eventually be a pro! That's how many of us learned the ropes in I.M.

        Also, about your idea, I wouldn't tell anybody yet. See, it depends, what type of idea are we talking about here? A multi-million dollar type of idea? Or a several thousand dollars/month idea?

        If it's really unique and hasn't been done before like you say, you should be able to get it copyrighted. Then you can tell people without worrying about them stealing your idea. But this really depends on the idea.

        Final Words: Go for it.

        JaVaun T
        Signature
        "Grammar: The difference between knowing your sh*t, and knowing you're sh*t." -A Wise Man
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6979020].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author kekka
          Originally Posted by iRunThis View Post

          Well, first off, FEAR (especially fear of failure) is what causes you to fail. You miss 100% of the shots you never take. What do you have to lose by jumping in? ABSOLUTELY NOTHING! Because you can make ANYTHING work online, it may take failing to learn what didn't work, but once you keep figuring out what doesn't work, you'll eventually be a pro! That's how many of us learned the ropes in I.M.

          Also, about your idea, I wouldn't tell anybody yet. See, it depends, what type of idea are we talking about here? A multi-million dollar type of idea? Or a several thousand dollars/month idea?

          If it's really unique and hasn't been done before like you say, you should be able to get it copyrighted. Then you can tell people without worrying about them stealing your idea. But this really depends on the idea.

          Final Words: Go for it.

          JaVaun T
          Thanks for that!

          Regarding my idea, it's not unique in the internet world, there are millions of people doing it but I don't think this method has been used for the IM niche. Its one of those simple ideas that could grow into a huge possibility, with a few tweaks for the IM world. Funding the project is also an issue.

          I appreciate all the comments.

          I have currently got a campaign on a crowdfunding website for another one of my ideas that I've got. I will see how that one works out and maybe let you all know.

          The reason I am so sceptical is because I've been burned before. When I was 17 I had an invention idea for the fitness industry (over 15 years ago). I asked for advice from a patent and manufacturing expert, did everything correct like dating and recording my invention. When the advisor accepted my invention as viable, he tried to bill me for £23,000 to get the ball rolling. I couldn't afford it so instead of looking elsewhere, I did the silliest thing, I accepted an offer of £5000 for my idea. Gutted to say the least, they must have made thousands because 2 years later a similar concept was in stores worldwide.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6979119].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Don Grace
    All of us are newbies at some point, and many of us succeeded. The way you approach it is very important. This is a business as some have said, not a hobby.

    Most important, it usually doesn't come overnight. It takes some work, so you gotta be committed to doing it. If you start buying every get rich quick deal expecting to make a bazzillion bucks by next Tuesday, you should quit.

    But if you're willing to put in the time and effort, you can make a bunch of dough within a niche your passionate about (provided it's a hungry market) without the overhead of brick and mortar, or you can be a service provider and do quite well too.

    I will say, when I got started 7 years ago the first thing I did was get mentors/coaching. It was pricey, but it helped me cut through all the bull crap and get on the right course.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6978975].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author kekka
      Originally Posted by Don Grace View Post

      All of us are newbies at some point, and many of us succeeded. The way you approach it is very important. This is a business as some have said, not a hobby.

      Most important, it usually doesn't come overnight. It takes some work, so you gotta be committed to doing it. If you start buying every get rich quick deal expecting to make a bazzillion bucks by next Tuesday, you should quit.

      But if you're willing to put in the time and effort, you can make a bunch of dough within a niche your passionate about (provided it's a hungry market) without the overhead of brick and mortar, or you can be a service provider and do quite well too.

      I will say, when I got started 7 years ago the first thing I did was get mentors/coaching. It was pricey, but it helped me cut through all the bull crap and get on the right course.
      Thanks Don, Could do with a mentor.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6979129].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author JabMonkey
    You need to figure out what is going to work and ignore the rest of the hype and garbage. IM is nothing more or less than "sales", period. Find out what will sell, find out where the buyers are who will be interested in what you are going to sell, drive them to your site...make bank.
    Why IM? I make all of my money online now....going on 3 years straight... no need of a job, don't have to answer to anyone but ME! That's why. I'm boss. I make or break myself.
    And I'm making it.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6979048].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author RedShifted
    Yes, yes, and yes. Internet marketing is good, very good.

    But not just internet marketing, marketing in general. You NEED it in your life. Marketing is one of the most overlooked skills by so many small business owners.

    In fact, I think so many businesses fail because they don't learn how to market in the first place.

    How many people do you know in your real life who are true marketing experts? I never knew any till I came here.

    Marketing itself is the single most important skill ANY person can have (along with copywriting). You can have the best customer service in the world, but if you don't know how to get people through your doors... your screwed.

    I realize this is the internet marketing forum, and not offline, but I'm just saying. Whether its online or offline marketing benefits you in a million ways.

    So yes, learn it. Never stop learning it. It has benefited my life immensely since coming here.

    -Red
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6979191].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Audrey Harvey
    Money wasn't my motivator to get into IM.

    I initially started because I wanted something to learn, something to do with my brain while I was homeschooling my children. It suited perfectly because there were no set hours and I could fit it in around anything they needed. I'm still at home with them, and I've learned so much.

    My hubby initially saw it as just a bit of a hobby for me, but now it's paying its way he sees the value of it.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6980700].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author J Bold
    yes of course many are doing great with IM.

    Many are also doing horribly.

    It just depends on you. Yes "newbies" can make it but don't think of yourself as a "newbie" who has a lot to learn. Get out of that mindset as soon as possible.

    Yes, be humble at first and don't lie when you don't know something.

    But be confident that you can do it.

    Also, you need to decide on something you can/should do at first.

    Saying you're an "Internet Marketer" is far too general. You've got to decide on a focus after you've done plenty of research, and go for it full force. Don't worry if you don't know it all at first, you will learn so much more by doing

    It really all depends on how effective you are at staying focused, overcoming small obstacles that seem to derail so many people, and really giving it your all.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6980982].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Walter Parrish
    Originally Posted by kekka View Post

    Hi,

    I've been a member for some time now but only just started to post on the WF.

    My questions are: Why Internet Marketing and What made you pursue this kind of career?

    I signed up to the WF because of a purchase I made. I have read and looked at posts with different kinds of systems, resources and software's that help in the IM world.

    Is it worth it? Truthfully! Can newbies succeed? What does it actually take to make it?

    I would really like to hear stories, whether successful or not as I am interested to find out and make my decision on which way to go, either

    YES Internet Marketing OR NO Internet Marketing

    Thanks, Keep Smiling
    All I can advise is that you remember that you are the warrior and being the warrior you have to march into the unknown. Most won't have a clue as to what you are doing and darn sho won't support anything that is unfamiliar to them. So, just do it the world needs it.

    As far as ideas I've had many stolen from when I did music, to business, to computers, heck some of what we call IM these days were ideas me and a few others sat around on sites like aol, prodigy and other places came up with.

    Back then creativity was so high that we didn't even care, who took the information and wrote the books, did the shows, we just wanted answers. Now, imagine how I felt 20 yrs later working a phone center part-time with some manager telling me that something I created means something different from what it meant. lol

    The key thing you need to keep in mind is technology and the net move so fast that there really is no time to copyright, tradmark, etc. We have to move fast and just make sure everyone knows that we created it, only then can we lay claim to it. Also, you may want to do things in such a way that no one can imitate them without your input.

    Hope This Helps

    ps To date some of your well known search engines and social sites are still working around my ideas. lolol All I can think is those jokers could at least send a check.
    Signature
    Use Feeder Sites, Articles, And Social Media Sites To Generate Unstoppable Traffic, FREE! Click Here Now To Get It For FREE
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6981101].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Randall Magwood
    Internet marketing appealed to me when i found out i could be making more money from digital products - vs the products that i was selling on Ebay. I was an ebay powerseller and top rated seller, but i hated running back and forth to the post office everyday. I wanted to get paid just to wake up in the morning.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6981116].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author mmmyway
    for me the answer is easy.
    I want to do something that allows me to travel while I'm working...
    Right now I'm in Thailand for example :-)
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7006007].message }}

Trending Topics