18 replies
So my career is not really in IM, although that is obviously part of it. A while back (as in years) I decided to build a small company that is online only, because I wanted personal experience with different techniques, tools, software, etc... to use that experience in discussions with customers who are into IM. It has been a great journey, through that project I've learned tons.

I decided to go the forum route (again this started years ago). I do have YouTube videos, but they are supportive, not primary marketing. My marketing is done through forums, and I love it.

Just this Tuesday I had a great day, right over 2K for the day. Again, all marketing is done through forums. Even on forums where signatures are not allowed, you can still make it work there.

I know some consider forums dead, but I still love them!
#forums #love
  • Profile picture of the author ilee
    Any chance you can tell me how you do it when forum signature isn't allowed?

    Originally Posted by WarrenPeterson View Post

    So my career is not really in IM, although that is obviously part of it. A while back (as in years) I decided to build a small company that is online only, because I wanted personal experience with different techniques, tools, software, etc... to use that experience in discussions with customers who are into IM. It has been a great journey, through that project I've learned tons.

    I decided to go the forum route (again this started years ago). I do have YouTube videos, but they are supportive, not primary marketing. My marketing is done through forums, and I love it.

    Just this Tuesday I had a great day, right over 2K for the day. Again, all marketing is done through forums. Even on forums where signatures are not allowed, you can still make it work there.

    I know some consider forums dead, but I still love them!
    Signature
    --~***~--


    --~***~--
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7027596].message }}
    • Originally Posted by ichl13 View Post

      Any chance you can tell me how you do it when forum signature isn't allowed?
      You build trust and when people have questions you become the go to guy/gal.
      Signature

      PM Me Now!

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7027677].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author hometutor
        I remain a big lover of forums. I use smf since they're easy to make. They have greater control over spam and multiple topics than wp blogs.

        Any advice to monitizing a forum would be greatly appreciated!

        Rick
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7027702].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author WarrenPeterson
          Originally Posted by hometutor View Post

          I remain a big lover of forums. I use smf since they're easy to make. They have greater control over spam and multiple topics than wp blogs.

          Any advice to monitizing a forum would be greatly appreciated!

          Rick
          Monetizing the forum itself? I don't have background in that, I meant that I make revenue by selling my product through forums.

          Most forums I know make money through banners, adsense, amazon affiliate programs, and private membership areas.
          Signature
          Do you really want to build a real business?
          Then you need this: 21 Days To Business Success
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7027739].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author professorrosado
          Originally Posted by hometutor View Post

          I remain a big lover of forums. I use smf since they're easy to make. They have greater control over spam and multiple topics than wp blogs.

          Any advice to monitizing a forum would be greatly appreciated!

          Rick
          Hi Rick!
          Nice to see you - I look at forums as nothing more than a CMS . Therefore, most monetization used for blogs could work in a forum. As in all marketing, as you know, care must be taken to fit the platform with your monetization methods and niche market.

          I believe that forums can be very lucrative if positioned and targeted correctly.

          I am a proponent in taking forums to the next level and thinking out of the box.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7028555].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author WarrenPeterson
        Originally Posted by Resale Rights Ninja View Post

        You build trust and when people have questions you become the go to guy/gal.
        That absolutely works yes. It is slow, but that does work too.
        Signature
        Do you really want to build a real business?
        Then you need this: 21 Days To Business Success
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7027729].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author WarrenPeterson
      Originally Posted by ichl13 View Post

      Any chance you can tell me how you do it when forum signature isn't allowed?
      I would prefer not to, as I think it is pretty unique. Granted I do not consider myself 'part of' the IM world, so perhaps many others do the same, but I don't want to dilute the concept.

      I just wanted to share that forums are still a solid way to build a company.
      Signature
      Do you really want to build a real business?
      Then you need this: 21 Days To Business Success
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7027722].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author louie6925
    Great post Warren....ever thought of coaching/product based on your expertise? I'd certainly be interested!!! PM me if you have any plans to!!
    Signature
    Feel free to chat if you live in the UK I may have something for you!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7027703].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author WarrenPeterson
      Originally Posted by louie6925 View Post

      Great post Warren....ever thought of coaching/product based on your expertise? I'd certainly be interested!!! PM me if you have any plans to!!
      Thank you.

      I do teach this to my customers, as part of my overall training, but I don't really have anything on this specifically. Do you mean plans to teach based just on this?
      Signature
      Do you really want to build a real business?
      Then you need this: 21 Days To Business Success
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7027750].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author louie6925
        Originally Posted by WarrenPeterson View Post

        Thank you.

        I do teach this to my customers, as part of my overall training, but I don't really have anything on this specifically. Do you mean plans to teach based just on this?
        Just a general guide for effective forum marketing, you obviously have the knowledge and enjoy doing it!!
        Signature
        Feel free to chat if you live in the UK I may have something for you!
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7027814].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author WarrenPeterson
          Originally Posted by louie6925 View Post

          Just a general guide for effective forum marketing, you obviously have the knowledge and enjoy doing it!!
          That's a good point... maybe I should... I've never made anything like that. All my work is in business development, startups, business coaching, etc... I came here to learn IM to add to my knowledge base. And, I made this one company just to test and understand the market from a personal experience viewpoint. I wish I found this site earlier, I've been running that other company for a looong time now, and would have done a few other things very differently.

          I bounce between position #1 and #3 on Google, alternating between my site and Amazon, and have never paid for any ads, never done any SEO, it is only done through forums and good content. I have forums that make me money, where I never even post nor have any paid promotions. I even have a few forums that make me money where I don't even have an account.
          Signature
          Do you really want to build a real business?
          Then you need this: 21 Days To Business Success
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7038618].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author theory expert
    Banned
    You're right Warren there are indirect ways to get your message and product out without there even being a link to your product directly. Subliminal marketing!!!!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7027776].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Randall Magwood
    I love forums too... this one in particular.
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7028312].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Mark Gray
    Yup i agree, one of my main income streams comes from forum posting.

    Nothing to do with signatures most of them, all about earning trust, answering peoples questions and/or helping them out with videos or even free tuition etc.

    I would say they are still responsible for over 50% of my income.

    Mark
    Signature
    Coming Soon!!
    If you thought it was difficult to get traffic to your site, think again!
    How I Made Over $3240 in ONE Month with Only A Few Hours Work!
    Sign Up NOW For Early Bird Bonus!
    http://www.easytrafficmethods.com
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7028901].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author marykay77
    Those numbers are impressive.

    I also love having forums on our site. They are a great way for users to create content for your site, if it's done right. I'm considering at some point going membership style with something like amember (for premium content).
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7033052].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author JerrickYeoh
    Do you mind to share with us wish forums you always been to since you only had 9 post in warrior forum. I wonder which forums that you able to done your sales without any signature. I might interested to follow your steps as well since you been success by working in forum
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7038747].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author HeatherH
    I personally love forums as well. They let you interact with potential clientele a lot easier and more frequently.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7038772].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Laura Stevens
      forums are really great help for newbies and expert as well.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7039171].message }}

Trending Topics