Content is KING - Definitely WRONG

93 replies
Do you agree with the statement I put in the title ?
Some of you agree while the rest don't.

Ok, let's take some examples to show this statement is definitely true or not.

1. Coca Cola vs pepsi
Have you ever heard Pepsi Challenge ? For those you didn't know, that's a challenge where customers had to taste 2 blanks cups - one containing Pepsi, and the other one is Coca Cola. They had to decide which one tastes better.

Do you know the result ? Pepsi won the challenge.
Now, let me ask you a question. Why is Coca Cola still number one in soft drink ? Why not Pepsi becomes number one ? It's because Coca Cola applies better strategy for advertising.

2. McDonalds
Do you think they provide the best tasting burgers ?
Do you think they provide the best tasting french fries ?

Indeed they don't provide the best one, BUT they do know exactly where they have to put their branches. So, what's business actually do they run ? They don't run food business but real estate business.

3. Bruce Lee
Everyone must know about this person, right ?
Do you agree that Bruce Lee is the strongest and the quickest martial artist ever ?
I don't think so. There are a lot people out there who are stronger and quicker than Bruce Lee.

Why Bruce Lee is considered as the quickest and the strongest ever ?
Because he knows how to make himself becomes the most popular martial artist.

Conclusion
From those 3 examples, let's find the the similarity. Here it is
They don't provide the best quality, but they provide the best strategy how to market themselves. Also, you can find by yourselves much more examples revealing this truth.

What about content ? We agree that we have to provide the best content for our visitors. But do you think by providing the best one, you will gain much more visitors than the other one who don't provide the better one ?
I don't think so.

Content is just part a marketing only. You have to concern for another part of marketing. What is that ?
That's how to market your content as if your content is the best one although it is not real the best one.

So, I want to close this thread with a statement.
Marketing is king lol
#content #king #wrong
  • Profile picture of the author FirstSocialApps
    You made some good points. However you fail to realise that the statement 'Content is King" is generally used when referring to SEO methods. In the context of SEO content is indeed king.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7033542].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Adie
    I am not buying your comparison. The term "content" refers to marketing strategy itself and not the "content" of the product like what you discussed.

    Here:

    Peter is promoting Coke (poor taste)
    John is promoting Pepsi (better taste)

    Peter wrote an article on how great Coke is. A very convincing article that people who has no experience tasting the Coke will surely buy.

    John on the other hand wrote an article that is less convincing so people who haven't tried tasting Pepsi are hesitant to buy.

    In short, Coke wins because of content. Advertising content and not product content. Content is King...

    I think you have the wrong idea of understanding "Content is King".
    Signature



    Moderator's Note: You're only allowed to put your own products or sites in your signature.

    Signature edited.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7033562].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author THK
      Originally Posted by Adie View Post

      I am not buying your comparison. The term "content" refers to marketing strategy itself and not the "content" of the product like what you discussed.

      ...
      I think you are trying too hard to prove the validity of that statement "Content is King". Content that is part of the marketing material and content that is part of the product can be seperated very easily. And whenever we say "Content is King" we refer to the product part, not the marketing material.

      Think about a person that just got scammed. He/She will not say "oh I got half of my money's worth because the sales message was so good!". They will say "I got ripped off and the scammer delivered nothing!" Because when people pay, they only pay for the content that is part of the product, not the marketing material.

      OP has a valid argument. But when two products have very little difference, the superior marketing will win. Coke and Pepsi have very little difference, Bruce Lee is not bad at martial arts, McDonalds may not have the best burger, but they deliver the food quick and pick the right locations. So they are selling "convenience" not "taste".

      So, the content may not have to be the best out there, but it has to be pretty darn close. So the statement still holds true.

      My .02 cents

      Tanvir
      Signature

      This is my signature!

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7033729].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author kencalhn
    i lose a lot of sales to people with Much worse content quality than mine, but better affiliate/marketing that they use, that's a valid point. I have top content and decent marketing, i lose sales to companies with really bad content but great marketing. the successful companies are #1 good marketers and 2nd place, content... which is a shame since often best quality content loses the financial race to companies that are affiliate driven marketing machines, with crap content (like a lot of my competitors)
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7033567].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author DPEnglish
      I wonder if this thread is an homage to Derek Halpern's "Content is King Myth Debunked." Derek gave a talk at clickbank exchange about harnessing peoples' love of a good argument, as a way to get page views. He used the example of a post that he wrote pitting content against design on his blog. His main goal in writing the post was to sow controversy. After he posted it, he emailed designers and writers to come check it out, knowing that many of them would be enraged enough to debate it and this would further enflame commenters on the other side of the fence. This resulted in 500 tweets, hundreds of likes, hundreds of argumentative comments and more importantly huge page views. Interesting tactic. Let's see if you'll be able to do the same thing here.

      Check out the original from Derek's Social Triggers Blog
      Content is King... or Is It?
      Signature

      Tap into one of the most overlooked markets on the internet: English Learners. There are over a billion people studying English around the world using techniques that don't produce results. Help them find the solutions they are searching for with DeepEnglish.com.

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7033638].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author fin
    Originally Posted by Denise Harland View Post


    What about content ? We agree that we have to provide the best content for our visitors. But do you think by providing the best one, you will gain much more visitors than the other one who don't provide the better one ?
    I don't think so.
    I have a 54% bounce rate and 3.50min average on site because I spend ages delivering the best content possible.

    You won't gain more visitors, necessarily, but you'll certainly do a better job of keeping them and making them come back.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7033613].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author designflair
    Creating compelling content is part of marketing. Content is king when the right strategy is being applied.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7033625].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Sarevok
    mcdonals is not in the food business.

    They're in the REAL ESTATE business, and they're winning.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7033646].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Dan Grossman
    1. Coca Cola sells more because its aftertaste is preferred to Pepsi's. This effect is not measured by a staged taste test.

    2. If McDonalds opened up on every street corner in the world, but had terrible or inconsistent food, it wouldn't be successful. They're in the food business.

    3. Google Trends says Jackie Chan is much more popular than Bruce Lee in Indonesia, where you live.

    What's this have to do with content? If your content sucks, people won't link to it and talk about it, at least not in a good way. No amount of marketing is going to change that.
    Signature
    Improvely: Built to track, test and optimize your marketing.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7033670].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author MilkerFocus
    Sorry, totally disagree.

    Content is king.

    Just like the example of Bruce Lee,

    His Movies show a lots of content about martial art.
    Also there are many meaningful scene inside the movies,
    Like how he fight for China.

    And there are lots of some funny and inspiring quotes inside the movie.

    Without Movie, Bruce Lee won't be that successful. it was
    because his movies were very high quality, that's why he was successful.

    I hope you do more research before showing us some example.

    But there is a lots of good content here,

    I think you want to show people that no only we should have
    good content but we also need to develop other skills, right?

    But in my opinion, once you develop your other skills,
    you can also transfer it to content, right?

    Hope this help,
    Marcus
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7033672].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Andyhenry
    There will always be people who need attention and want to say something provocative to get it.

    It's classic "x is dead" territory.

    You can substantiate almost any position with generalised or made up statistics, so it's easy to end up in an argument about something where everyone is talking crap and just trying to defend their position, which is just their opinion rather than fact.
    Signature

    nothing to see here.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7033678].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author sovereignn
    Honestly content has never been king online.

    People say it is and in a way it might be true. But you do NOT need good content to rank websites. I've ranked PLENTY of websites with only 3 words and one picture on them

    and guess what...

    They ranked extremely easy, just as easy as it would be with AMAZING content. Having good content will not hurt you... But content has never been king
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7033692].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author MilkerFocus
      Originally Posted by sovereignn View Post

      Honestly content has never been king online.

      People say it is and in a way it might be true. But you do NOT need good content to rank websites. I've ranked PLENTY of websites with only 3 words and one picture on them

      and guess what...

      They ranked extremely easy, just as easy as it would be with AMAZING content. Having good content will not hurt you... But content has never been king
      I am sorry, sir. I disagree with you.
      Do you know picture is one kind of content.
      It just use image to show you the even and story.

      I personally think, we don't need to provide lots of information.
      Even there are little bit, if they are useful. then everything is OK.

      Video is included in Content,
      Audio is included in Content,
      Image is included in Content,
      Supporting is included in Content.
      ....
      I would say High Value Content is King. Period.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7033735].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author sovereignn
        Originally Posted by MilkerFocus View Post

        I am sorry, sir. I disagree with you.
        Do you know picture is one kind of content.
        It just use image to show you the even and story.

        I personally think, we don't need to provide lots of information.
        Even there are little bit, if they are useful. then everything is OK.

        Video is included in Content,
        Audio is included in Content,
        Image is included in Content,
        Supporting is included in Content.
        ....
        I would say High Value Content is King. Period.
        Yeah but I put up random pictures when ranking a website... Mainly cats playing
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7034034].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author MattStevens
      Originally Posted by sovereignn View Post

      Honestly content has never been king online.

      People say it is and in a way it might be true. But you do NOT need good content to rank websites. I've ranked PLENTY of websites with only 3 words and one picture on them

      and guess what...

      They ranked extremely easy, just as easy as it would be with AMAZING content. Having good content will not hurt you... But content has never been king
      If content is NOT King, then what is?

      Something has to be King, no?

      Is the loosely thrown around term "Action" King?

      Ultimately Content is King...seeing that to have any ranking website, you need some kind of content on it...valuable, plentiful, crappy, whatever...you still need something.

      Anyone ranking 100 percent blank web pages out there? lol
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7034049].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author THK
        Originally Posted by MattStevens View Post

        ...

        Anyone ranking 100 percent blank web pages out there? lol
        Funny you brought that up, I remember someone on this forum once posted an example like that. A site without any content was sitting at the second or third position on the first page of Google.

        That thread was about Google ranking or something like that. It was a while back. wish I could pull that up.

        Well...maybe we are all wrong then. Maybe content is not king after all

        Tanvir
        Signature

        This is my signature!

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7034245].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author travlinguy
    Your weird examples have almost nothing to do with content and little to do with marketing. Bruce Lee has been dead for 39 years so he hasn't really been all that busy marketing himself and he still comes up on the top of most lists as the fastest martial artist. I think that's because he was. You're other examples are way off too.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7033706].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author clever7
    I believe that you are using the term ‘content’ as a marketing technique to attract buyers, and comparing it to various other techniques not based on content creation to attract buyers and sell your products.

    You are definitively right, Denise. Marketing is king.

    I'm a content producer and the promotional method I basically use to attract prospects online is content creation because this is what I’m good at. I hate marketing. I’m a real writer since I learned how to write. So, I have to focus on content creation.

    However, who can evaluate the quality of the content I provide? I write about new scientific discoveries, and the public is ignorant. On the other hand, the quality of a website’s content cannot be measured by Google’s tools.

    This means that using content creation as a basic marketing strategy doesn’t work as much as many other techniques.

    Last year content was king for a while. Today linkbuilding is king. Everything keeps changing.

    Of course, good content is always helpful. It does attract the public. However, it is not the magnet it seems to be when you believe that ‘content is king’.

    Wish content really was king online, but this is a myth.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7033708].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author jazzygelable
    Originally Posted by Denise Harland View Post


    Content is just part a marketing only. You have to concern for another part of marketing. What is that ?
    That's how to market your content as if your content is the best one although it is not real the best one.
    In this day and age, people frown upon in your face marketing/selling. They know if you're just telling something just so you can make a sale. I think you can make people believe that you have the best content/product in the whole world wide web but it won't be long before they see past the gimmick. In the case of the Amazon product review site I'm building at this moment, I believe content is king. That's just a newbie's pov. Let's see if that changes.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7033753].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Black Hat Cat
    Banned
    Originally Posted by Denise Harland View Post

    Have you ever heard Pepsi Challenge ? For those you didn't know, that's a challenge where customers had to taste 2 blanks cups - one containing Pepsi, and the other one is Coca Cola. They had to decide which one tastes better.

    Do you know the result ? Pepsi won the challenge.
    Hmm...hard to believe Pepsi won the PEPSI Challenge, an advertising campaign set up by PEPSI, lol.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7033764].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Wik
    Let stay positive, let content be King and advertising be Queen?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7033791].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author MarketingMinded
    Marketing is the new product.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7033815].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Kurt
    Originally Posted by Denise Harland View Post

    Do you agree with the statement I put in the title ?
    Some of you agree while the rest don't.

    Ok, let's take some examples to show this statement is definitely true or not.

    1. Coca Cola vs pepsi
    Have you ever heard Pepsi Challenge ? For those you didn't know, that's a challenge where customers had to taste 2 blanks cups - one containing Pepsi, and the other one is Coca Cola. They had to decide which one tastes better.

    Do you know the result ? Pepsi won the challenge.
    Now, let me ask you a question. Why is Coca Cola still number one in soft drink ? Why not Pepsi becomes number one ? It's because Coca Cola applies better strategy for advertising.

    2. McDonalds
    Do you think they provide the best tasting burgers ?
    Do you think they provide the best tasting french fries ?

    Indeed they don't provide the best one, BUT they do know exactly where they have to put their branches. So, what's business actually do they run ? They don't run food business but real estate business.

    3. Bruce Lee
    Everyone must know about this person, right ?
    Do you agree that Bruce Lee is the strongest and the quickest martial artist ever ?
    I don't think so. There are a lot people out there who are stronger and quicker than Bruce Lee.

    Why Bruce Lee is considered as the quickest and the strongest ever ?
    Because he knows how to make himself becomes the most popular martial artist.

    Conclusion
    From those 3 examples, let's find the the similarity. Here it is
    They don't provide the best quality, but they provide the best strategy how to market themselves. Also, you can find by yourselves much more examples revealing this truth.

    What about content ? We agree that we have to provide the best content for our visitors. But do you think by providing the best one, you will gain much more visitors than the other one who don't provide the better one ?
    I don't think so.

    Content is just part a marketing only. You have to concern for another part of marketing. What is that ?
    That's how to market your content as if your content is the best one although it is not real the best one.

    So, I want to close this thread with a statement.
    Marketing is king lol
    These are examples of "positioning", not content. It doesn't matter that Pepsi tastes better than Coke, people THINK Coke tastes best, and that's what really matters.
    Signature
    Discover the fastest and easiest ways to create your own valuable products.
    Tons of FREE Public Domain content you can use to make your own content, PLR, digital and POD products.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7033957].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author jaiganeshv
    The examples are nice, but couldn't really come to a conclusion...
    I think its not only about content, the leaders here has lot of other factors into their business, and they get the edge...
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7033972].message }}
  • Cool post. I think you have a good point. Much like it's the best marketed singer that's the most popular and makes the most money; not necessarily the best vocalist.

    I agree, while great content certainly helps, it's the marketing of that content that is the deciding factor for ultimate success.

    Someone mentioned bounce rate earlier. Someone who gets 20 times the visitors because of effective marketing can afford the higher bounce rate and still make more money.

    Very interesting... thanks.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7034031].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author egeus1
    Content is KING of traffic and Marketing know-how are Warrior KINGS
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7034175].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Super Warrior
    Your examples are totally unrelated.
    You're saying that content is not king which is FALSE!
    You're saying that companies are advertising their products
    without having any good quality. You're right! You can use PPC
    to get traffic to any website having poor contents, but can you
    rank a poor site in search engine? NO.

    Acutally, content is NOT the king but only if you've a lot of
    money to spend on advertisement.

    Thanks
    Signature
    WARNING:: Wasting time on Facebook? Make $500 in just 24 Hours with this simple strategy!
    Get Free PDF (Direct download, no opt-in required)-->> Read It Now
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7034255].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author BIG Mike
    Banned
    [DELETED]
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7034364].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author THK
      Originally Posted by BIG Mike View Post

      ... Coke and McDonalds are bigger because they focus more on expansion and market penetration.
      Market expansion and penetration is part of marketing strategy.

      Originally Posted by BIG Mike View Post

      While they all market their products effectively and do a great job of maintaining brand recognition, Coke and McDonalds win, not due to marketing, but due to a lack of other choices on the consumer's part around the world.
      Now you are arguing with yourself.

      Originally Posted by BIG Mike View Post

      The Warrior Forum is one of the most popular (and profitable I'm guessing) Internet Marketing forums because one one thing - the content available. As far as I know, the WF doesn't do any marketing, does it?
      I don't think the success of this forum is accidental or dumb luck. People behind it understand this niche well and they definitely had strategies to grow this forum. Quality content has marketing built into it and word of mouth is one of the most powerful marketing strategies, both online and offline.

      Almost every warrior who has a blog mention this forum on their blog. Changing the forum status from paid to free, creating sub sections that will be attractive to the people certainly helped to spread the word.

      Marketing is a broad concept. Are you sure you are not mixing up marketing with advertising?

      FYI, I do agree with your conclusion, just not the arguments.

      Tanvir
      Signature

      This is my signature!

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7034507].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author BIG Mike
        Banned
        [DELETED]
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7034641].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author wtatlas
          Someone mentioned in a previous post that you could achieve good rankings in search results with poor content. I agree that this is so but you have to ask yourself what kind of content you want to put your name to. Whenever I write anything for a website of mine or for someone else, I want to make sure that what I produce is worth reading and I don't give any regard to what search engines think about it.

          Funnily enough I find that my articles are read and my websites ranked.

          I have no statistics to back this up but I believe that the websites with poor content might well achieve high rankings but their visitors will not hang around. They will be forced to look further down the page/s of search results until they find good content.

          My conclusion is that if you care more about the experience that visitors to your website have than you do about making a quick buck, your websites will stand a better chance of doing well regardless of search engine foibles.
          Signature

          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7034700].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author THK
          Originally Posted by BIG Mike View Post

          ...

          The OP wrote, "It's because Coca Cola applies better strategy for advertising."

          This is where the OP is missing the boat.

          ...
          OP has tweaked some words through out his post. They are different than what I read hours ago.

          If I could replace the word "Advertising" with "Marketing", I still wouldn't agree with your arguments.

          Coke benefits from lack of competition because they decided to move into areas where no competition exists and capture those markets before anyone else. That in itself is a marketing decision.

          Thank you

          Tanvir
          Signature

          This is my signature!

          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7034825].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author JohnMcCabe
            > I actually took the Pepsi challenge several times. I picked Coke every time. More important, they set the table up right in front of the store I was working in at the time, so I got to watch the test.

            I'm not saying the challenge was rigged, but it was close. Lots of big Pepsi logos and photos of smiling people drinking Pepsi. Attractive test person with a big Pepsi logo stretched across her bust. And when they poured the little cups of soda, the Pepsi cup was always placed just a little further forward on the table, giving the subtle indicator that it should be tried first. Since Pepsi is sweeter than Coke, tasting the Coke second made it taste different than when drank alone.

            If Pepsi really was that superior, New Coke, a Pepsi clone, should have been wildly popular if ad strategy is the big difference maker.

            > I don't recall McDonald's (or BK, for that matter) ever claiming to have the best tasting burger on the market. That's not their position.

            Their big selling point is consistent, decent food at fairly reasonable prices in convenient locations - a lot of convenient locations. I can tell you from experience that a Big Mac in Minnesota tastes exactly like a Big Mac in rural Nebraska and one in Gulf Coast Florida.

            Add in the voodoo-like hold they seem to have over kids, and you have a winning formula. Or should I say, winning content.

            [Side note: I met the actual Ronald McDonald, and he was a complete a-hole...]

            > I'm not sure where to start on the Bruce Lee example. His movies are classics. Those are the content. Has nothing to do with his skill or speed - those could have been faked using a lesser actor had the producers chosen to go that way. They still would have been classic movies.
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7034988].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author Joseph Robinson
              Banned
              Originally Posted by JohnMcCabe View Post

              [Side note: I met the actual Ronald McDonald, and he was a complete a-hole...]
              You'd be too if the only thing you could point to in your life was a career as a clown that helped to cause an obesity epidemic . That, and Ronald McDonald is ironically afraid of clowns.
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7040300].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author lindseyc
          Im taking it that your not talking about seo content?
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7035222].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Walter Parrish
          Content to me is your product, but you still have to give people access to your product otherwise they don't know you exist.

          Coca Cola and Pepsi both have good content and make their products available. However, where Cocacola wins is the fact that they have the best content not necessarily quality content, but content. Not only is Coca Cola in Mcdonalds, but coke is in far more restaurants than Pepsi.

          Same deal with Bruce Lee, it's not that he was the baddest MA to hit the planet its the fact that he has the best content. The product is movies and everyone knows about the content because it covered the whole world. We could also go further and break him and his films down into niches, lineage to Wing Chun and Yip Man, his goal to bring reality to film, even his marriage to an american, all these things and more helped make him larger than life.

          Mcdonalds - in the states there is a Mcdonalds in almost every neighborhood so they have good content/product. Which other restaurants that sell burgers cover such a large area? The other thing is that Mcdonalds provides content not only for adults, but for children, a happy meal is now a household word.
          Signature
          Use Feeder Sites, Articles, And Social Media Sites To Generate Unstoppable Traffic, FREE! Click Here Now To Get It For FREE
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7036855].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author cashp0wer
          I've always thought content is King. If you have a website that has horrible content, not original, full of grammar errors and misspelled words most people will leave the site very quickly. Of course, there are many other factors you have to consider also besides content.
          Signature
          My Internet Marketing Blog - Warts And All!
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7040226].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author SurrealPSD
    Bruce Lee has the greatest Martial Arts legacy of all time, also due to his innumerable contributions to fight philosophy, cinematography and the popularisation of eastern arts. Not to mention his exhibitions of physical feats plus competition.

    A true master, deserved of his title
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7034404].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Likha Tyson
    Banned
    The fact of the matter is if you have content, you are more likely to generate leads and foster ongoing relationships with customers. So, yes, like many other things, Content is king and its power is only going to grow.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7034423].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author bugzy
      Originally Posted by Likha Tyson View Post

      The fact of the matter is if you have content, you are more likely to generate leads and foster ongoing relationships with customers. So, yes, like many other things, Content is king and its power is only going to grow.

      More likely to generate leads by just having a "content" ?

      Every newbies in this business have thei websites with content on it, but howcome 90% of them are always failing to even generate a single penny or most of them takes year to generate 1?

      It's not about just having content in your website fyi. It's just the tip of the iceberg of what you're supposed to do next.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7034440].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Marcus Rockey
    Originally Posted by Denise Harland View Post

    Do you agree with the statement I put in the title ?
    Some of you agree while the rest don't.

    Ok, let's take some examples to show this statement is definitely true or not.

    1. Coca Cola vs pepsi
    Have you ever heard Pepsi Challenge ? For those you didn't know, that's a challenge where customers had to taste 2 blanks cups - one containing Pepsi, and the other one is Coca Cola. They had to decide which one tastes better.

    Do you know the result ? Pepsi won the challenge.
    Now, let me ask you a question. Why is Coca Cola still number one in soft drink ? Why not Pepsi becomes number one ? It's because Coca Cola applies better strategy for advertising.

    2. McDonalds
    Do you think they provide the best tasting burgers ?
    Do you think they provide the best tasting french fries ?

    Indeed they don't provide the best one, BUT they do know exactly where they have to put their branches. So, what's business actually do they run ? They don't run food business but real estate business.

    3. Bruce Lee
    Everyone must know about this person, right ?
    Do you agree that Bruce Lee is the strongest and the quickest martial artist ever ?
    I don't think so. There are a lot people out there who are stronger and quicker than Bruce Lee.

    Why Bruce Lee is considered as the quickest and the strongest ever ?
    Because he knows how to make himself becomes the most popular martial artist.

    Conclusion
    From those 3 examples, let's find the the similarity. Here it is
    They don't provide the best quality, but they provide the best strategy how to market themselves. Also, you can find by yourselves much more examples revealing this truth.

    What about content ? We agree that we have to provide the best content for our visitors. But do you think by providing the best one, you will gain much more visitors than the other one who don't provide the better one ?
    I don't think so.

    Content is just part a marketing only. You have to concern for another part of marketing. What is that ?
    That's how to market your content as if your content is the best one although it is not real the best one.

    So, I want to close this thread with a statement.
    Marketing is king lol
    Ask my six year old daughter who makes the best burgers and she will tell you it's McDonald's.

    And she is never ever wrong. Trust me!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7034442].message }}
    • Originally Posted by Marcus Rockey View Post

      Ask my six year old daughter who makes the best burgers and she will tell you it's McDonald's.

      And she is never ever wrong. Trust me!
      Your six year old daughter has been bit by the marketing bug my friend. That's one of the ways McDonald's became so popular. Everything about their set up was to appeal to children, including the six foot clown, a playland play park and toys in every happy meal.

      Now put one on every corner with cheap, albeit inferior food, and how is any 6 year old supposed to pass that up? Not to mention, tired parents coming home from work and need to put something on the table, asap.

      Next thing you know, every six year old proclaimed McDonald's the best burger in history.

      Mind you, this all started when most of their burgers weren't even mostly burger. Ever heard of ammonia hydroxide based pink slime?


      Pretty gross, right? Yeah... that was in their burgers and chicken nuggets until they finally got outted and decided they would stop using it in... wait for it... February of 2012.

      I say all this to say that for a restaurant food is content and what the OP is trying to say is simply that branding yourself as having the best content is even more important than simply having the best content.

      He's not saying release crap and call it burgers (sorry, coudn't resist :p). But what he is saying is don't wait for perfection to begin marketing yourself as "the best" or "one of the best" or whatever. Quality content isn't the best. There is only one best, think about it. But all of us can be good, consistent, provide regularly scheduled content, etc. Not necessarily the best. Get it? No...? Ah, well I tried.

      If you really think about what the OP is saying, it will multiply anything else you are doing right now. Just try and see it.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7035004].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Terry Kyle
    Hi D,

    Content isn't king in online business at all.

    It's CONVERSIONS and CONVERTING content that is tested and tracked that matters.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7034474].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author GetShorty
    That's so true!

    Sometimes getting first to the market can also help you get ahead of the competition even though you may have an inferior product or idea.


    If you get there first you have a better chance of it sticking, don't wait around for the competition!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7034512].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author bugzy
      Originally Posted by GetShorty View Post

      That's so true!

      Sometimes getting first to the market can also help you get ahead of the competition even though you may have an inferior product or idea.

      If you get there first you have a better chance of it sticking, don't wait around for the competition!
      Let's say you are first to that market, what exactly are you going to offer with them? atrocious service and content?

      They might try it but they will they will not surely comback and take again your service or read you content because of that bad experience they had.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7034519].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Al amin
    Content is definitely king but for certain situation. When your content and your competitor's content is same, then content might not the king. Then the strategy comes to play.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7034539].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author apnavarun
    content is king of course but marketing is also very important. its like you have some good product however people dont know about that
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7034551].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author gmanendra
    I don't think there will me good conversion with out good content as we need to satisfy the users queries to make the sales.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7034593].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author koolphoto
      Wow. Please believe that. Convince as many as you can. It makes my job a lot easier.
      Signature

      My name is Ken Katz and I am a Web Designer and Photographer. My motto: "If you really want to do something, you'll find a way. If you don't, you'll find an excuse." -Jim Rohn

      Celebrity Portrait Photgapher - My Photography Portfolio.

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7034614].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author HorseStall
    My guess is that your point is that not only do you have to have a good product but you must have marketing as well.

    I think on the web, content is king, because while creative marketing may cause short bursts of traffic they are likely temporary, the truth is content will give you long term relevant traffic.

    HTH
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7034610].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Jtraits
    I personally think that content is way more important ... In my opinion, i would try different products for once but if the content will not satisfy my need, then i would not go and buy it again even if it's cheaper ... i'd choose content and quality rather than the marketing (like i said, because i happen to be envolved in the marketing thing i distinguish these things but consumers might not)
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7034806].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Bobby Asburn
    You are talking about product not about content.

    Content is Always King
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7035693].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author appsviral
    Banned
    [DELETED]
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7035906].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author samjaynz
    You are comparing apples to oranges (or Pepsi to Coke, haha )

    Good content will always win. Look at Wikipedia, for example.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7037114].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author MichaelHiles
    Here's why content is king. If it weren't, television would just be pure ads and no programming.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7037854].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author BIG Mike
    Banned
    [DELETED]
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7038915].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Walter Parrish
      Originally Posted by BIG Mike View Post

      No, he didn't - Now you're just making excuses.



      No one is forcing you to - but it doesn't change the fact that it's not something as cut and dried as better advertising that put them where they are as the OP wants us to believe.



      They moved into areas no one else wanted...and it's a lot more complex than you or the OP would like to make out.

      Both companies are hugely successful, but have different goals. Pepsi, for example, is primarily concerned with it's N. American beverage AND snack business. Their presence in foreign markets is far more cautious than Coke's, which struggles more with worldwide commodity prices and infrastructure issues.

      That last bit has always and continues to hurt Coke's profitability, lowering earnings per share than if they had stayed out of those markets. It's a case of "Marketing" doing more harm than good - they could pull back and significantly increase revenue.

      A better example is Apple vs. Microsoft - Despite superior marketing and a terrific product, Apple was never able to make a serious dent in Microsoft's desktop operating system business. The smartest move they made was to switch focus to lower cost, high-quality products, like the iPod, iPad and iPhone business, which had no serious competition at the time - that finally put them on top.

      And it only took them 20 years to figure that out

      The OP would have us believe that the quality of a product (the content) doesn't matter - only the marketing does. Any successful business is made up of a combination of good quality products, creative marketing and strong business management.

      Take any one of those three out of the mix and you've got a recipe for failure.
      The part about coke I can grasp.

      However, apple vs microsoft I disagree.
      Apple did the same as IBM and others meaning they simple didn't want to put out a cheaper version of their product basically. They were smart with the iphone and all though, but what they achieved was something that should have been done ages ago and everyone else were lazy.

      Superior marketing? lol I don't think so. MS was the one with superior marketing. Heck most of us didn't even know apple existed and the few that did, didn't care because apple was known to be more suited publishing and anything graphical.

      As far as good quality products I disagree a lot of these businesses started off with superior marketing skills and poor content/products.
      Signature
      Use Feeder Sites, Articles, And Social Media Sites To Generate Unstoppable Traffic, FREE! Click Here Now To Get It For FREE
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7040193].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author BIG Mike
        Banned
        [DELETED]
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7041693].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Walter Parrish
          Originally Posted by BIG Mike View Post

          A lot of folks get confused about what the "Product" was that we're comparing here. Apple was was marketing a personal computer with it's own operating system. IBM was marketing personal computers, but didn't have an operating system...Microsoft provided it.



          Apple was not always a "Graphical" computer - that didn't happen until around 1984/85. Prior to that, Apple's system was more like a Commodore 64/Vic 20 type of system.

          IBM tried to buy DOS, but Microsoft instead chose to license it on a per computer basis. Then, instead of marketing to the masses, they focused on licensing it to the PC makers out there...so your PC usually came with MS DOS included.

          Apple on the other hand, has to market the hell out of itself and it's products, to build brand awareness - and it was always an uphill battle because the early Apples were grossly overpriced compared to PC's.



          Which ones? Any examples?

          [edit]


          Back then, if you were into computers, you knew they existed and what they had to offer.
          Two I can think of that did nothing basically in the good old days were Google and Facebook. All smoke and mirrors if you ask me until they started to grow.

          I still believe but haven't researched it yet that Google was initially Goto.com.
          Signature
          Use Feeder Sites, Articles, And Social Media Sites To Generate Unstoppable Traffic, FREE! Click Here Now To Get It For FREE
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7043667].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author reddy2011
    Content is King and marketing is queen.
    Signature
    Mobiles and Technology !!!!!!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7038940].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author bhushan@rancor
    I think Denise,
    you are right here but Google has its strategy to see the website with its eye and it want the content strategy.
    Signature
    Interactive Bees Pvt Ltd best known for Quality Web Development Solutions and Online Marketing Services.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7039419].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Tania Edwards
    Content might be king to some extent but not always..
    I know a guy who has ranked his site on Google's Page 1 with extremely poor content,,, almost keyword stuffing and his site is ranked on Google Page for 35 keywords..
    Its just a matter of luck...
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7039430].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author QuantumDon
    OK so this is true Content is king, the reason they say this is because its one of the larger pointing systems on the search algorithm, Now you have to have a proper optimization with that content to make your self the "King"

    You can not just add a lot of content to a website and expect it to bring in your traffic, you must have a strategy beside it and a good setup but if two websites stand beside each other with the same backlinks the same everything except content, content will win.
    Signature

    Quantum Don Owner and Manager of Pro Plans

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7040267].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Aira Bongco
    Okay the battle of the Kings again. What's the sense of debating on which element is king when you should be concerned about what you should be doing to make some money online?

    Anyway, I think that what will work will always be a mixture of different elements - content, advertising or promotion, product quality, etc. You need to make these elements work together if you want to hit a home run. Focusing on just one - like content for instance - and ignoring the others is a recipe for failure.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7040323].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author tonecarole
    Generating compelling content is actually a part of advertising. Information is actually california king when the correct strategy will be put on.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7040386].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author jazbo
    I think you missed the truth. Brand loyalty.
    Signature
    CONTENT WRITER. Reliable, UK-Based, 6 Years Experience - ANY NICHE
    Click Here For Writing Samples & Online Ordering
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7040387].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author jbsmith
    The reality is that "Knowing What Motivates Your Customer To Be Interested and Buy" is King...if you have content that taps into those motivations, frustrations and desires - then content WILL be king.

    The problem is that 99% (anyone want to argue??) of businesses (especially online businesses) lack total or have at least only a partial understanding of...

    1) Who their target customer is
    2) What they are MOST interested in being, having or doing
    3) WHY they MUST get what they want (the beliefs, conversation and pictures they have painted in their heads of why they must have what is outlined in #2)
    4) How to present your product/service or expertise in the best possible way so as to maximize desire and increase perceived value in your products/services

    So, if you have content that matches these factors, you will WIN - if you scatter or miss the mark with your content, you won't.

    Jeff
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7040803].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author camuk
    I agree, content isn't always king, but it helps. I've seen websites rank without even changing the random latin text that comes with most website templates!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7040832].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author tylerjaysen
    if you're talking about getting rankings for seo...then yeah....content is king...

    ...if you're talking about making money....then yeah marketing is king...

    2 totally different topics....

    ..and um...yeah...Bruce Lee is and always will be the fastest...maybe not the strongest...martial artist ever....period. He had to slow down all of his moves...in his movies...because the camera couldn't film his fast moves...he was so fast he had to slow down his movements...

    ...have you ever heard of Chuck Norris...or Segal..or Van Damn....having to slow down their movements for filming cuz they were too fast?...

    ...Didn't think so...lol
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7040833].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author provitall
    Coca Cola and McDonald's spend hundreds of millions of dollars a year on advertising to create demand for mediocrity. You can't do that and if your content isn't good enough to engage the people who visit your site G will bury it.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7041039].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author MichaelHiles
    How is "marketing" separate from "content"?

    Marketing IS content.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7041041].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Joseph Robinson
      Banned
      Originally Posted by MichaelHiles View Post

      How is "marketing" separate from "content"?

      Marketing IS content.
      Get your logic out of here. People don't use content to market!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7041128].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author JamesMcAllister
    This can be an unending discussion, but for me quality content is still important.

    And coca cola always taste better than pepsi.

    So I really still believe in good quality content plays a big part in every site's or online business' success.
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7041088].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Zend
    While I agree that advertisement content is king and the product itself is not, remember the success of every popular beverage. They succeed in both advertisement and the product, so people will NOT STOP buying their product after one trial.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7041196].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Rod Cortez
    Originally Posted by Denise Harland View Post

    Do you agree with the statement I put in the title ?
    Some of you agree while the rest don't.

    Ok, let's take some examples to show this statement is definitely true or not.

    1. Coca Cola vs pepsi
    Have you ever heard Pepsi Challenge ? For those you didn't know, that's a challenge where customers had to taste 2 blanks cups - one containing Pepsi, and the other one is Coca Cola. They had to decide which one tastes better.

    Do you know the result ? Pepsi won the challenge.
    Now, let me ask you a question. Why is Coca Cola still number one in soft drink ? Why not Pepsi becomes number one ? It's because Coca Cola applies better strategy for advertising.

    2. McDonalds
    Do you think they provide the best tasting burgers ?
    Do you think they provide the best tasting french fries ?

    Indeed they don't provide the best one, BUT they do know exactly where they have to put their branches. So, what's business actually do they run ? They don't run food business but real estate business.

    3. Bruce Lee
    Everyone must know about this person, right ?
    Do you agree that Bruce Lee is the strongest and the quickest martial artist ever ?
    I don't think so. There are a lot people out there who are stronger and quicker than Bruce Lee.

    Why Bruce Lee is considered as the quickest and the strongest ever ?
    Because he knows how to make himself becomes the most popular martial artist.

    Conclusion
    From those 3 examples, let's find the the similarity. Here it is
    They don't provide the best quality, but they provide the best strategy how to market themselves. Also, you can find by yourselves much more examples revealing this truth.

    What about content ? We agree that we have to provide the best content for our visitors. But do you think by providing the best one, you will gain much more visitors than the other one who don't provide the better one ?
    I don't think so.

    Content is just part a marketing only. You have to concern for another part of marketing. What is that ?
    That's how to market your content as if your content is the best one although it is not real the best one.

    So, I want to close this thread with a statement.
    Marketing is king lol
    No, I don't agree with your premise because you're making an apples to oranges comparision.

    Marketing vs. Content doesn't make any sense because content is a part of the marketing umbrella (which you do state toward the end, so that left me a little confused). When most people say or write "content is king" they are making that statement within context, not in a vacuum. Sometimes they're referring to content sydication or curation; sometimes they're referring to SEO; sometimes they're referring to viral marketing campaigns or free publicity.

    It depends on the context.

    RoD
    Signature
    "Your personal philosophy is the greatest determining factor in how your life works out."
    - Jim Rohn
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7041323].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Michael Ten
    I think McDonalds food is DELICIOUS. I love their fries and chicken nuggets. BUT I also believe that they are garbage and bad for me, even though they taste good. On the other hand, I can go to Whole Foods and buy food from their hot bar and it is healthier, IMO, and tastes almost as good, IMO. So... content is king... just are you peddling fast food like content... tastes good... but unhealthy... or content of TRUE quality that is TRULY valuable and tastes good, metaphorically speaking.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7042186].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Stuart Walker
    You make valid points that McDonalds, Coke and Bruce Lee may not be the best at what they do, it's all about marketing. I agree on that. However Coke and McDonalds do provide people with what they want.

    When it comes to internet marketing the reason that 'content is king' is because if you provide good content you're creating something that people will naturally market for you, they'll tell people about it on social media, mention it on forums and their blogs, you'll keep your readers happy AND Google happy. So it's better to have good content than bad content as other people will do a lot of the leg work for you when it comes to marketing it. However good content alone isn't enough (unless you've already built up a huge fan base) as it's going to be difficult to get that content in front of people for them to share it in the first place so you still need to do the marketing part initially.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7042746].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author latestnewsheadline
    Banned
    I enjoyed to read all posts with good content... and I like Pepsi and Bruce Lee.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7042969].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author theemperor
    Forget Coke and Pepsi. Michael Jackson is the king of pop.

    And given the choice between content and discontent, I'd say content is king...
    Signature
    Learn to code faster, and remove the roadblocks. Get stuff done and shipped! PM me and I can help you with programming tutoring, specialising in Web and the following languages: Javascript ~ HTML ~ CSS ~ React ~ JQuery ~ Typescript ~ NodeJS ~ C#.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7043120].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author coliv
    Originally Posted by Denise Harland View Post

    Do you agree with the statement I put in the title ?
    Some of you agree while the rest don't.

    Ok, let's take some examples to show this statement is definitely true or not.
    I think all these examples show that content is not everything. There are many other elements in a product that are important to the whole experience. However, content is very close to the top in importance for the user. If there is no content, they will feel that the product is not satisfying their needs. Ultimately, people providing good content will gain the trust of the consumer.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7043554].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Strasburgo
    Can't speak on Bruce Lee.

    But Coca Cola has always been the bigger company.

    Furthermore, whatever advantage Pepsi had on the "sip test", they didn't have on the "finish the can" or "drink a whole 12 pack" test.

    In Blink, Malcolm Gladwell went into significant detail on how Pepsi managed to beat Coke using a sip test.

    Coke was really scared though. I don't know if you're old enough to remember "New Coke", but that was how scared they were. They changed their 100 year old formula because in their own testing, people preferred Pepsi to Coke.

    Well as the rest of us old timers (everyone 30+) can tell you, New Coke lasted a few weeks before old Coke aka Coca Cola Classic had to be brought back.

    2) It's kind of misnomer that McDonald's is in the real estate business.

    McDonald's generally seeks to find the real estate with the highest traffic and visibility in a market. That's the goal anyway, but driving around major metro area, you'll find plenty of McDonald's that are in awful locations, as well as failed McDonald's. You'll also find thriving businesses not in the best real estate, and restaurants in essentially the same place as McDonald's doing as well, poorly, or better than McDonald's.

    The real strength of the McD's business goes far beyond location.
    - multi-generational marketing
    - a streamlined process from order to delivery
    - attractive pricing
    - and depending on who you talk to, food that's been engineered to be addictive (like using a little bit of sugar in your french fries, or slightly larger diameter straws for their soft drinks)

    That's just to name a few.

    Right now, the hottest food franchise in the business is 5 Guys, who don't have a drive through, don't have the same huge menu as McDonald's, and make people wait for their burgers.

    I'd probably mention Chik-Fil-A as having a great business model that purposefully gives away its Sunday revenue.

    The great thing about business is that you can be successful in all sorts of counter-intuitive ways.

    Taste, Content, Speed, Location, Service, Size, Cost, Quality, Convenience - and you don't even need to be a master at any of them. Take Arby's for instance...

    Content isn't King, but that's because there is no throne.

    Strasburgo

    Originally Posted by Denise Harland View Post

    Do you agree with the statement I put in the title ?
    Some of you agree while the rest don't.

    Ok, let's take some examples to show this statement is definitely true or not.

    1. Coca Cola vs pepsi
    Have you ever heard Pepsi Challenge ? For those you didn't know, that's a challenge where customers had to taste 2 blanks cups - one containing Pepsi, and the other one is Coca Cola. They had to decide which one tastes better.

    Do you know the result ? Pepsi won the challenge.
    Now, let me ask you a question. Why is Coca Cola still number one in soft drink ? Why not Pepsi becomes number one ? It's because Coca Cola applies better strategy for advertising.

    2. McDonalds
    Do you think they provide the best tasting burgers ?
    Do you think they provide the best tasting french fries ?

    Indeed they don't provide the best one, BUT they do know exactly where they have to put their branches. So, what's business actually do they run ? They don't run food business but real estate business.

    3. Bruce Lee
    Everyone must know about this person, right ?
    Do you agree that Bruce Lee is the strongest and the quickest martial artist ever ?
    I don't think so. There are a lot people out there who are stronger and quicker than Bruce Lee.

    Why Bruce Lee is considered as the quickest and the strongest ever ?
    Because he knows how to make himself becomes the most popular martial artist.

    Conclusion
    From those 3 examples, let's find the the similarity. Here it is
    They don't provide the best quality, but they provide the best strategy how to market themselves. Also, you can find by yourselves much more examples revealing this truth.

    What about content ? We agree that we have to provide the best content for our visitors. But do you think by providing the best one, you will gain much more visitors than the other one who don't provide the better one ?
    I don't think so.

    Content is just part a marketing only. You have to concern for another part of marketing. What is that ?
    That's how to market your content as if your content is the best one although it is not real the best one.

    So, I want to close this thread with a statement.
    Marketing is king lol
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7043600].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author MichaelHiles
    There's a bunch of "talking past each other" in this topic.

    For the purposes of this discussion, original poster, are you talking about "content" from the standpoint of "content as marketing itself"?

    Or "content" as in "content is the product"?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7043684].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author cjreynolds
    Like some of the other posters here, I believe you are confusing product with content.

    Originally Posted by Denise Harland View Post

    1. Coca Cola vs pepsi
    Have you ever heard Pepsi Challenge ? For those you didn't know, that's a challenge where customers had to taste 2 blanks cups - one containing Pepsi, and the other one is Coca Cola. They had to decide which one tastes better.

    Do you know the result ? Pepsi won the challenge.
    Now, let me ask you a question. Why is Coca Cola still number one in soft drink ? Why not Pepsi becomes number one ? It's because Coca Cola applies better strategy for advertising.
    Coke's dominance over Pepsi first came about from a song - remember the song from the late '60s/early '70s... "I'd like to teach the world to sing"? That's when it happened. As a result of that ad campaign, Cake gained the lead and has been there ever since.

    Song = Audio Marketing = Content

    Originally Posted by Denise Harland View Post

    2. McDonalds
    Do you think they provide the best tasting burgers ?
    Do you think they provide the best tasting french fries ?

    Indeed they don't provide the best one, BUT they do know exactly where they have to put their branches. So, what's business actually do they run ? They don't run food business but real estate business.
    Mickie-D's dominance was secured by a big purple blob and a "Ham-Burgler" They went straight for the throat (your kids) and it succeeded big-time!

    TV Commercials (Video Marketing) = Content

    Originally Posted by Denise Harland View Post

    3. Bruce Lee
    Everyone must know about this person, right ?
    Do you agree that Bruce Lee is the strongest and the quickest martial artist ever ?
    I don't think so. There are a lot people out there who are stronger and quicker than Bruce Lee.

    Why Bruce Lee is considered as the quickest and the strongest ever ?
    Because he knows how to make himself becomes the most popular martial artist.
    Bruce, as pointed out in previous posts, owes his dominance in MA to his movies.

    Movies = Video Marketing = (once again) Content

    Burgers, Coca Cola, and MA are all Products, made popular by Content.

    BTW: I used to know a guy who was a MA "insider" back in the 60s and 70s. He said he had seen his master (Chinese Kempo) defeat Bruce hands-down. Bruce used to do exhibition matches with masters of different styles. According to my friend, Lee stopped doing exhibition matches shortly thereafter.

    My friend also claimed (quite emphatically) that they filmed Bruce's fight scenes in slow motion, so that his moves looked faster when played at regular speed in the movie.

    I'm sure there are Bruce Lee fans who will differ...

    Signature

    I just added this sig so I can refer to it in my posts...

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7043886].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Denise Harland
    Thanks for any response coming out...I never thought there will be so many replies
    Ok, some of them don't definitely agree with I have stated in the beginning.

    Basically, the message I want to deliver to all of you is don't just focus on the content itself. You have to give another focus on marketing what you have already produced.

    Instead of keep working, working, and working hard to make the content as best as possible, you also have to think the best strategy how to market your product as well.

    I know that, for doing SEO, we can't rely on poor content as google will never like it.
    I know that, if McDonalds fried chicken tastes so horrible, people won't spend their money to buy that food.
    I know that, if Coca Cola tastes like water, people will never buy it.

    Let say you have the most delicious fried chicken in the world, but you couldn't give the message to all people that your food is delicious. What do you think will it be ?

    Let say you are the best martial artist in the world, but you can't show to producer that you are the best one. How could it be ?

    Content is part of success, so is marketing.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7048942].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author captainron4
    Originally Posted by Denise Harland View Post


    So, I want to close this thread with a statement.
    Marketing is king lol
    And the content of that marketing is king, would any of the aforementioned have acheived their status if the content of their marketing consisted of "Umm me good"?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7049085].message }}
  • Content is king, needs to be well written, know your audience and target market.
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7049102].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Will Edwards
    Originally Posted by Denise Harland View Post

    Have you ever heard Pepsi Challenge ? For those you didn't know, that's a challenge where customers had to taste 2 blanks cups - one containing Pepsi, and the other one is Coca Cola. They had to decide which one tastes better.

    Do you know the result ? Pepsi won the challenge.
    Now, let me ask you a question. Why is Coca Cola still number one in soft drink ? Why not Pepsi becomes number one ?
    Funny you should ask. I was just discussing this quite recently with a friend. The real reason is that Pepsi was sweeter and it tasted better to most people in a tiny sample like the one used in the test. But people actually found they didn't like drinking it in larger quantities.

    Will
    Signature
    Money-Making Rebrandable Books - Free for a Limited Period!

    Click Here to Get Yours
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7049198].message }}
  • Content is King? No way!

    Traffic+Conversions is king!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7049538].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author latestnewsheadline
      Banned
      Originally Posted by Anonymous Affiliate View Post

      Content is King? No way!

      Traffic+Conversions is king!
      Could be traffic+conversion without good content? Where?
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7049594].message }}

Trending Topics