Do you prefer respect, or attention?

39 replies
Aye Warriors

I have a really interesting question and would like your opinion.

When it comes to your online business, do you prefer to get respect
or do you prefer attention? I say there's a benefit to both depends on
how it's done. But, as we see - you can get a lot of attention and not
enough respect, but you can also get a lot of respect, but no attention.

Which do you prefer to have?

They say any publicity is good publicity, but that may not always be the
case as we've seen with things like Donald Trump, Paris Hilton, Miley Cyrus,
Chad Ochocinco, Pres Obama, Mitt Romney and many others to name a few.
#attention #prefer #respect
  • Profile picture of the author adsassist
    In my opinion,
    you would want both. Get attention from respect.

    If you give respect you will recieve respect. From giving and receiving respect, you will get the attention.
    Signature
    Save Energy With Alternative Energy Today
    Alternative Energy Products At The Lowest Price
    Alternative Energy Today
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7042224].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author rhealy29
      While I don't think it's fair to say one is better than the other without looking at the context of the attention, I do think it's fair to say that people who prioritize attention over respect will find that any success the attention brings will likely be fleeting.

      On the other hand, those who prioritize respect, and by that I mean mutual respect between their business and their market, will find the benefits to be much longer term and further reaching.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7042245].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Jay Brass
      Originally Posted by adsassist View Post

      In my opinion,
      you would want both. Get attention from respect.
      Amen.

      Thread can now be closed.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7044396].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Rus Sells
    I would think if you have some ones attention that kind of mean you also have their respect. Who pays attention to some one they don't respect? Not me.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7042237].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author rhealy29
      Originally Posted by Rus Sells View Post

      I would think if you have some ones attention that kind of mean you also have their respect. Who pays attention to some one they don't respect? Not me.
      One word: Snooki

      It's sad and unfortunate, but a lot of people pay attention to people they don't respect.

      There are a ton of different stunts a business could do to gain attention, however fleeting.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7042249].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Joseph Robinson
        Banned
        Originally Posted by rhealy29 View Post

        One word: Snooki

        It's sad and unfortunate, but a lot of people pay attention to people they don't respect.

        There are a ton of different stunts a business could do to gain attention, however fleeting.
        Exactly what I was thinking. I've watched Jersey Shore for the past three seasons now; but I sure as hell don't respect the cast.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7042272].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author JamesColin
    Banned
    Attention for me, respect for what if nobody pays attention? :-)
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7042255].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Ali2seas
    To pay attention means to concentrate the mind on a single object or thought. To pay respect means to show positive feeling of esteem for a person or other entity or in relation to or in reference to.
    Signature
    "FREE EBOOK"
    WEB TRAFFIC MECHANIC

    generate unstoppable traffic to your site using FREE resources!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7042263].message }}
  • {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7042280].message }}
  • Respect 100%.
    Signature
    WebDevelopmentGroup NYC & CA- Small Business Web Development, App Development, WordPress Development, Graphic Designs, Online Marketing, Local Marketing & more!. "Call us 1.800.219.1314 or message us!". Visit us today! "Now On Live Chat Mon-Fri.". www.WebDevelopmentGroup.org
    (Whitelable our Services)
    ===================================
    ==> #1 OFFLINE MARKETING FORUM ON THE WEB! <==
    www.OFFLINEMARKETINGFORUM.com
    (Register Now)
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7042293].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Meka Anilkumar
      Originally Posted by WebdevelopmentGroup View Post

      Respect 100%.
      i need respectable attention..this is the way i get what i want!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7045773].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author tanshi
    I prefer Respect.
    Attention without respect can also mean someone talking bad about you. It is true that it's impossible to make everybody like you, but not linking you doesn't always mean talking bad about you.
    Signature

    The best things in life aren't things

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7042328].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Roslyn Agosta
    Respect!

    I would like to be respected rather than getting attention.
    Signature
    Limited availability, Review's required! Get your free copy: http://www.warriorforum.com/wanted-m...ion-world.html
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7042427].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Chris Gray
    I prefer to get respect rather than attention....

    what attention means without respect????
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7042446].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author hitman13
    For me the respect is number one.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7043208].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author cjreynolds
      Given the raw choice of one over the other, I'm not sure how to vote...

      It's easy to see how one could have attention without respect. In a vacuum, you could have respect without attention I suppose, but I'm not sure if anyone would respect you if they have never paid attention to you.

      I suppose I'd have to go with respect, regardless - I've seen how some people get attention!
      Signature

      I just added this sig so I can refer to it in my posts...

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7043307].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author David Keith
    having the consistent attention of your desired audience almost always requires that you have earned their respect to some degree.

    There are only a handful of email lists i read regularly. Those people have my attention, but they only keep my attention because they have earned my respect.

    Without respect, it is virtually impossible to command a person attention over any real length of time.

    also, there is a big difference between attention and exposure. As in the political example cited earlier. I am exposed to lots of things by all sorts of candidates. But very few of them actually have my attention when it comes to being able to influence me, my thoughts, or my actions (voting). The rest is just rhetoric and passes in one ear and out the other. So while i may have heard their message, they didn't really have my attention.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7043720].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author TerranceCharles
    Well, according to the votes, it looks like Respect won this won by 13-4. All good answers though, it all depends on different factors as stated above. Personally, I would prefer Respect over attention. As I've said many times, I would rather 1,000 subscribers that open, reads and take action in my emails than 10,000 who won't open at all. However, they're couple differences, attention wouldn't be bad it's just what you do with the attention, if you can turn the attention into respect, then your winning
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7044736].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Simon Ashari
    If you want more money, you got for attention (if you could only pick one... obviously you want both).

    You mentioned Paris Hilton in your OP. She was used as an example of someone who commands little respect but makes a lot of money in her own right (got this example off Rich Shefren).

    As most here are marketers, they are going to want the attention... they can get the respect from their family, friends or local community.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7044770].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Vadimarket
    Well, obviously respect.

    Getting attention requires no skill whatsoever,anyone get attention with pretty much anything these days. Look at the clowns from Jersey Shore for example.

    Getting respect on the other requires some skill and hard work.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7044777].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Sarevok
      Originally Posted by Vadimarket View Post

      Well, obviously respect.

      Getting attention requires no skill whatsoever,anyone get attention with pretty much anything these days. Look at the clowns from Jersey Shore for example.

      Getting respect on the other requires some skill and hard work.
      To play devil's advocate here, look how much money snooki get every time she writes a book.

      But some genius computer scientists write books and don't make anything.



      Just food for thought
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7044988].message }}
  • {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7044885].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Sarevok
    Attention > Respect

    You can be the most loved person in the world and the most respected, but without attention you won't make a penny right?



    It reminds me of that old Machiavelli quote

    "It's better to be feared than loved if you can't be both." - Machiavelli

    Love (respect) only goes a short way unfortunately
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7044981].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author dadhere
    I know that people who do things that cause them to lose respect, still get lots of attention, and you can get lots of attention. This can translate to $$$!
    Signature



    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7044996].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Mike Hill
    I would prefer attention .... You're always going to have people who love you and people who hate you. Getting attention exposes you to more people who haven't heard of you before and therefore end up in one camp or another.

    People focus too much on wanting to gain respect and it forces them to not release as many products as they should because they feel apprehensive about it. Even though it's a good product they are still paralyzed by not wanting to lose respect.

    That being said, if you go about your business as best as you possibly can, release the best quality products as you can create, deal with your customers as best you can then you need not worry about gaining respect because as I said before, some will love you and some will hate you.

    Even if you bend over backwards, give people extreme value for extremely low prices you'll still find complainers so concentrate on gaining attention and the rest will take care of itself.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7045002].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author jtommy178
    You need attention to gain respect and vice versa.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7045464].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author camuk
    I clicked attention, because you don't have the option for money!

    I do SEO, have done for many years, for one reason and one reason only. I make money from it!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7045472].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author JabMonkey
    Whichever one earns me the most money, I'll take that one!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7045617].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author WebmasterScripts
    Some lines you just cannot cross. Respect even if no one is watching is something you yourself can be proud of. I believe you are referring to “Attention” as being noticed by many people without caring how you get it. I wake up each day telling myself would my 2yr old son be proud of his dad. He is my motivation to succeed with my goals and without his respect, no attention while losing his respect would be worth it.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7045691].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ashloren
    Attention is how it starts. Get lots of it, some bad and some good. The good attention will inspire respect among the right groups of people. But without attention, no one will know about you to begin with. So more attention = more chances at respect. Even bad attention is good because it makes you controversial and tends to make your fans more passionate, which means you will be a hotter topic.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7045716].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author clever7
    I believe that when you are respected this means that people trust your lessons and products. This is better than just having the public attention.

    Everyone can attract the public for various reasons; good or bad. However, it’s very hard to be respected and considered a real expert.

    On the other hand, when you are respected you attract the public attention because you inspire confidence. When you are respected you are not ignored.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7045818].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author RedShifted
    Caring about attention is pointless. Become a respectable person and you will get your attention. Attention can be good or bad. Respect is never a bad thing.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7045853].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author SuperDJ
    When people respect you, they usually pay attention to what you have to say. Except for when you are drunk..

    Attention in general I couldn't care about. The same applies with things like accreditation, awards, grades, scores etc etc
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7048102].message }}
  • {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7048857].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Rough Outline
    Any respect is good but you want the right kind of attention.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7049123].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author texas319
    Give me your attention and I will gain your respect.
    Signature

    "Thinking Positive" + "Taking Action" = "Success"

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7049138].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author TerranceCharles
    @MikeHill That is a really interesting way of looking at it, I especially like your point, the more attention the more chances of reaching more people who will either love you or hate you. And, that is a TRUE statement, no matter how nice, how much you do for people, you will still have people who will dislike you.

    @Sarevok Great point also, I think it's best to find a balance. Most people pretend to not like snooki although she is well respected and get her fair share of attention also. The people that are buying her books are the people who respect her.

    @WebmasterScripts Well said, and you are right. They're some lines that you do not cross just for the attention aspect of it. No amount of attention will ever make me lose my values

    @MekaAnilkumar That is one of the best answers I've heard. It's not just about attention in general, it's about respectable attention. For example, if Mike filsaime or Willie Crawford mentioned something good about you, that will create instant respect from people and will generate more attention on it'w own.

    @Texas319 Good way of looking at it, people who give me their attention, I give them my respect

    @RoseJbell84 QUALITY over quantity ANYDAY
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7057853].message }}

Trending Topics