Grrr...Squiddo denied me!

by erange
34 replies
Grrr...I just worked all evening updating a Squiddo lens on a weight loss topic. I went to publish it and they denied me...saying that they don't approve certain affiliate program promotion, certain topics, etc.

Anyone else have that problem?

Eileen
#denied #grrrsquiddo
  • Profile picture of the author wolfmmiii
    There are several programs and topics that they disallow. Read up on their TOS.
    Signature
    Want a REAL Online Business That's Fun to Run?
    CLICK HERE FOR INFO
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7065015].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Michael Shook
      I actually don't use Squidoo anymore for reasons like this. If you are going to use Squidoo for affiliate programs, you will probably need a way to redirect your links.

      But truthfully, you are probably better off setting up your own site and using Squidoo to link to your site.

      Write about your particular program on your site and link to your page from your Squidoo lens.
      Signature


      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7065024].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author erange
        Originally Posted by JMichaelZ View Post

        I actually don't use Squidoo anymore for reasons like this. If you are going to use Squidoo for affiliate programs, you will probably need a way to redirect your links.

        But truthfully, you are probably better off setting up your own site and using Squidoo to link to your site.

        Write about your particular program on your site and link to your page from your Squidoo lens.
        That's what I did.
        I put up four original articles...and linked to my website with anchor text.
        (...I did put a couple redirection .php's in there though...maybe that was it?!?)
        Signature
        Eileen Starbuck
        Single Mom | Super Affiliate Promoter of "The Well Oiled Affiliate Machine"
        (...where anyone can learn how to bring home the online bacon!)
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7065032].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author wolfmmiii
          Originally Posted by erange View Post

          I did put a couple redirection .php's in there though...maybe that was it?!?)
          Nope. They don't care about redirects. The topic or program or product you were promoting violated TOS.
          Signature
          Want a REAL Online Business That's Fun to Run?
          CLICK HERE FOR INFO
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7065037].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author erange
            Is HubPages like that too?
            All I'm really looking for is the backlink...
            Signature
            Eileen Starbuck
            Single Mom | Super Affiliate Promoter of "The Well Oiled Affiliate Machine"
            (...where anyone can learn how to bring home the online bacon!)
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7065040].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author jape
              Originally Posted by erange View Post

              Is HubPages like that too?
              All I'm really looking for is the backlink...
              Hubpages is worse, don't even think about it.

              Squidoo is great especially if you want to build quality backlinks to your site.

              Sure they don't accept content about lots of topics (topics we internet marketers love ) but there is a way around it. Sorta like Google's LSI.

              If you're selling weight loss products in your site, talk about health on Squidoo instead of weight loss or talk about food and then create an in-text link to your site using appropriate keywords.

              Talk about related topics that they allow.
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7068696].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Michael Shook
            I think I didn't say what I meant. I apologize.

            What I mean is have a site about your topic and link from your lens to the articles on your site, but don't use redirects or product names for your anchor text.

            I don't know all the rules of Squidoo, but if you are promoting for instance some of the CPA weight loss offers, you might have an issue no matter what.
            Signature


            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7065050].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author wolfmmiii
    Most Web 2.0's now prohibit certain products and categories. You'd have to read their latest TOS to be sure. If you are looking for a "do-follow" backlink, HubPages will require a certain Hub Score before it becomes "do-follow".
    Signature
    Want a REAL Online Business That's Fun to Run?
    CLICK HERE FOR INFO
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7065054].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author erange
      ...oh my word, I thought this was going to be easy to get backlinks! lol

      ummm...Squiddo's TOS doesn't allow ANYTHING?!?! They pretty much covered all the 'niches' I was planning...

      --Pharmaceutical, drug, and diet aid reviews and diet pill sales.
      --Weight loss and dieting
      --MLM, network marketing, pay per click projects,
      --Ebooks and affiliate programs for "medical cures."
      --Likewise for help with love life, sex life, dating sites, etc.
      --MLM and network marketing systems, tips, and products.
      --Gambling lenses.
      --Downloading movies, tv, or games; watching movies, TV, or satellite online;
      --Video game illegal downloads, copying and sharing, game gold generation,
      --Dealing with credit card debt, cash gifting, envelope stuffing, mortgages,
      --Ringtones lenses.
      --Adult lenses. Porn lenses. X-rated lenses.
      --Lyrics lenses.
      etc.
      etc.
      Signature
      Eileen Starbuck
      Single Mom | Super Affiliate Promoter of "The Well Oiled Affiliate Machine"
      (...where anyone can learn how to bring home the online bacon!)
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7065072].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author cjreynolds
        Originally Posted by erange View Post

        ...oh my word, I thought this was going to be easy to get backlinks! lol

        ummm...Squiddo's TOS doesn't allow ANYTHING?!?! They pretty much covered all the 'niches' I was planning...

        --Pharmaceutical, drug, and diet aid reviews and diet pill sales.
        --Weight loss and dieting
        --MLM, network marketing, pay per click projects,
        --Ebooks and affiliate programs for "medical cures."
        --Likewise for help with love life, sex life, dating sites, etc.
        --MLM and network marketing systems, tips, and products.
        --Gambling lenses.
        --Downloading movies, tv, or games; watching movies, TV, or satellite online;
        --Video game illegal downloads, copying and sharing, game gold generation,
        --Dealing with credit card debt, cash gifting, envelope stuffing, mortgages,
        --Ringtones lenses.
        --Adult lenses. Porn lenses. X-rated lenses.
        --Lyrics lenses.
        etc.
        etc.
        Yep - If it's a hot niche, they don't like it!
        Signature

        I just added this sig so I can refer to it in my posts...

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7065127].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Joseph Robinson
        Banned
        Hm, prohibiting all of those makes sense to me.

        Originally Posted by erange View Post

        --Pharmaceutical, drug, and diet aid reviews and diet pill sales.
        Industry is flooded with bad information and fake testimonials created by marketers to collect a commission. Best case scenario is these bad recommendations don't work. Worst case is that somebody dies.


        Originally Posted by erange View Post

        --Weight loss and dieting
        A favorite niche of newbie internet marketers (I wonder if it's the most popular after IM itself? Someone should do a study lol) who just aren't qualified to be giving advice.


        Originally Posted by erange View Post

        --MLM, network marketing, pay per click projects,
        Nobody likes IM/Biz Opps anymore. The industry has itself to blame.

        Originally Posted by erange View Post

        --Ebooks and affiliate programs for "medical cures."
        A market for this should never have existed. Playing with people's lives...SMH.

        Originally Posted by erange View Post

        --Likewise for help with love life, sex life, dating sites, etc.
        Same bad advice that comes with the weight loss niche...

        Originally Posted by erange View Post

        --MLM and network marketing systems, tips, and products.
        See above (you kind of repeated). To touch on MLM, there is an incentive to write content that makes users buy instead of objective content on the subject.

        Originally Posted by erange View Post

        --Gambling lenses.
        They probably don't want to be responsible for encouraging possibly illegal practices.

        Originally Posted by erange View Post

        --Downloading movies, tv, or games; watching movies, TV, or satellite online;
        Two words: copyright infringement.

        Originally Posted by erange View Post

        --Video game illegal downloads, copying and sharing, game gold generation,
        Illegal tells the story.

        Originally Posted by erange View Post

        --Dealing with credit card debt, cash gifting, envelope stuffing, mortgages,
        More people giving out advice they aren't qualified to give...

        Originally Posted by erange View Post

        --Ringtones lenses.
        Often come with hidden charges, leading to very angry parents and a lot of business complaints.

        Originally Posted by erange View Post

        --Adult lenses. Porn lenses. X-rated lenses.
        We must protect the children!


        Originally Posted by erange View Post

        --Lyrics lenses.
        Derivative work, not original content.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7068659].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author wolfmmiii
    Unfortunately, it was the IM / marketing industry themselves as a whole that caused these types of restrictions.
    Signature
    Want a REAL Online Business That's Fun to Run?
    CLICK HERE FOR INFO
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7065109].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author erange
      ...just curious wolf, since I just looked you up....are you still earning with Amazon Associates?

      I'm trying to make lemonade from lemons here...and at least learn something from my Squiddo denial. I'm thinking better products on something like Amazon...build a site and then go after a Squiddo lens for backlinking.

      ...or am I over-complicating!??! (...which I do a LOT!) lol Do I even need the lens as part of my backlinking strategy. Honestly, the only reason I'm pursuing that is because I listened to all of Ed Dale's - 30 Day Challenge.

      Eileen
      Signature
      Eileen Starbuck
      Single Mom | Super Affiliate Promoter of "The Well Oiled Affiliate Machine"
      (...where anyone can learn how to bring home the online bacon!)
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7065139].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author wolfmmiii
        Originally Posted by erange View Post

        ...just curious wolf, since I just looked you up....are you still earning with Amazon Associates?

        I'm trying to make lemonade from lemons here...and at least learn something from my Squiddo denial. I'm thinking better products on something like Amazon...build a site and then go after a Squiddo lens for backlinking.

        ...or am I over-complicating!??! (...which I do a LOT!) lol Do I even need the lens as part of my backlinking strategy. Honestly, the only reason I'm pursuing that is because I listened to all of Ed Dale's - 30 Day Challenge.

        Eileen
        Absolutely. As a matter of fact, this week was my wife's first week working on our Amazon sites after stepping down to part-time at her day job.

        Personally, I don't do any manual backlinking to my own sites. Because of how I do things, my sites don't require all that hocus-pocus to rank.
        Signature
        Want a REAL Online Business That's Fun to Run?
        CLICK HERE FOR INFO
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7065178].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author erange
          Originally Posted by wolfmmiii View Post

          Absolutely. As a matter of fact, this week was my wife's first week working on our Amazon sites after stepping down to part-time at her day job.

          Personally, I don't do any manual backlinking to my own sites. Because of how I do things, my sites don't require all that hocus-pocus to rank.
          Hmmm...
          That's awesome!

          I'd be interested in learning more about how you build sites if you're willing to share.
          Signature
          Eileen Starbuck
          Single Mom | Super Affiliate Promoter of "The Well Oiled Affiliate Machine"
          (...where anyone can learn how to bring home the online bacon!)
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7065212].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author DubDubDubDot
      Originally Posted by wolfmmiii View Post

      Unfortunately, it was the IM / marketing industry themselves as a whole that caused these types of restrictions.
      Exactly.

      These niches would still be cash cows had the idiots of the industry not gotten involved. The bar is set way too low to do business on the internet. Luckily that is starting to change.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7070780].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Adie
    I gave-up squidoo a week ago after got denied for some unacceptable reasons. I have around 20 articles ready to be posted on squidoo and they ended up posted to my sites...
    Signature



    Moderator's Note: You're only allowed to put your own products or sites in your signature.

    Signature edited.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7065131].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author erange
      Originally Posted by Adie View Post

      I gave-up squidoo a week ago after got denied for some unacceptable reasons. I have around 20 articles ready to be posted on squidoo and they ended up posted to my sites...
      LOL...that's exactly what I was thinking. More articles for my site I guess! I'm curious though...why were you pursuing a Squiddo lens? Was it for backlinking only?
      Signature
      Eileen Starbuck
      Single Mom | Super Affiliate Promoter of "The Well Oiled Affiliate Machine"
      (...where anyone can learn how to bring home the online bacon!)
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7065144].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Adie
        Originally Posted by erange View Post

        LOL...that's exactly what I was thinking. More articles for my site I guess! I'm curious though...why were you pursuing a Squiddo lens? Was it for backlinking only?
        Yes, backlinking and some amazon sales.. But as I said, I gave-up. Not worth my time..
        Signature



        Moderator's Note: You're only allowed to put your own products or sites in your signature.

        Signature edited.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7065350].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author WebPen
    You can't really blame them for hating those types of niches though.

    Think of all the scammy biz opps and weight loss pills that people promote.

    I think Squidoo is really good for some other niches though- ones that are more hobby-based.

    Video games, gardening, stamp collecting, model trains, toys for kids, Halloween costumes...
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7065137].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Anticareer
    Why use Squidoo? You are building value for them when you should be building it for yourself. Buy a domain name for a couple bucks and start building an asset for yourself.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7068232].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author gpwilson
    Yes, i did also face such type of problem. Because they do not allow you to submit any content according to your choice.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7068271].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author jellyman
      I've created 4 Squidoo lenses. I would classify them as rather commercial yet Squidoo seems to dig them rather well. I must say I'm using my own amazon links on it.

      Conclusion - If you have unique content and follow Squidoo TOS u should do ok!

      Jellyman
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7068592].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author erange
        Originally Posted by jellyman View Post

        I've created 4 Squidoo lenses. I would classify them as rather commercial yet Squidoo seems to dig them rather well. I must say I'm using my own amazon links on it.

        Conclusion - If you have unique content and follow Squidoo TOS u should do ok!

        Jellyman

        I think it's the TOS issue. I'm trying to do something on "weight loss". That appears to be not allowed. It's a little frustrating because I've seen other lenses that have almost exactly what I want to do. I still haven't figured that one out yet.

        In the end, for me...it's just about the backlink. My focus is my personal WordPress site. So...I guess I just need to accept that some niches I can put up a Squidoo lens and other niches I may not be able to.

        Any ideas on other methods of backlinking would be helpful! ;-)

        Eileen
        Signature
        Eileen Starbuck
        Single Mom | Super Affiliate Promoter of "The Well Oiled Affiliate Machine"
        (...where anyone can learn how to bring home the online bacon!)
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7068622].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author cjreynolds
          Originally Posted by erange View Post

          I think it's the TOS issue. I'm trying to do something on "weight loss". That appears to be not allowed. It's a little frustrating because I've seen other lenses that have almost exactly what I want to do. I still haven't figured that one out yet.

          In the end, for me...it's just about the backlink. My focus is my personal WordPress site. So...I guess I just need to accept that some niches I can put up a Squidoo lens and other niches I may not be able to.

          Any ideas on other methods of backlinking would be helpful! ;-)

          Eileen
          This is what turns me away from Squidoo, Blogger, and other 2.0 sites - all it takes to run aground is for that website's owner(s) to make a decision that they "don't like" articles on "so-and-so", or they see too many articles on "such-and-such", and they get the "feeling" that it's a scam. (of course, spammers, scammers, and IM wannabees have helped in that department - a lot of said products are scams)

          Far better to put most of your content on a site that you control - nobody can tell you what to write about on your own blog

          BTW: The articles you're seeing about those "banned" topics may be articles that were published before the long list of no-no's came out, and were "grandfathered" out of the restrictions.
          Signature

          I just added this sig so I can refer to it in my posts...

          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7069995].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Adie
    I ordered a very specific articles from one of my writers about camping. It didn't even mentioned any specific product and the articles were written from scratch. Non got accepted.... So I gave-up.. Squidoo says it is very commercialized...

    The only lens I have that got approved last week is still invisible in google after posting 60 press release articles pointing to that page with 100 social bookmarks... I don't know what is happening but I don't really have plan of trying it again...
    Signature



    Moderator's Note: You're only allowed to put your own products or sites in your signature.

    Signature edited.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7068290].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author erange
      Originally Posted by Adie View Post

      I ordered a very specific articles from one of my writers about camping. It didn't even mentioned any specific product and the articles were written from scratch. Non got accepted.... So I gave-up.. Squidoo says it is very commercialized...

      The only lens I have that got approved last week is still invisible in google after posting 60 press release articles pointing to that page with 100 social bookmarks... I don't know what is happening but I don't really have plan of trying it again...
      Adie...
      So what your plan for backlinking now?
      Eileen

      PS: 60 press releases and 100 social bookmarks is a little out of my league! lol I have 10 articles out there and I thought I was doing good! ;-)
      Signature
      Eileen Starbuck
      Single Mom | Super Affiliate Promoter of "The Well Oiled Affiliate Machine"
      (...where anyone can learn how to bring home the online bacon!)
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7068625].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author GaurabBorah
    They don't accept a large variety of articles now. I tried to put a "Ex back" related article and it was denied. However I left it for better things.
    Signature
    [WSOTD] Easy STEP-BY-STEP $50-$100/Day Posting Lame FB Ads!*WARRIORS MAKING MONEY*(New Social PROOF)...Click here
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7068450].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author erange
    Originally Posted by clever7 View Post

    You can make a lot of money with Squidoo if you'll follow their rules. Write about the topics of their list. There are many things you can promote online that are OK for them.

    I had many problems with Squidoo in the beginning because I was posting articles I had already spread online to my lenses. Then, I started creating lenses with original content only for each lens, and I became a Giant Squid after creating 25 lenses with original content.

    When I became a Giant, everything completely changed in my Squidoo life. No more complications with my old lenses because they had old content or anything. Don't abandon Squidoo only because you had difficulties in the beginning. I know many lensmasters that are making a lot of money and they are creating mainly stores. Their lenses are not like my lenses based on content.

    There are numerous lenses that give you explanations about everything. Spend some time with this matter because it's very nice to build a passive income online. I started using Squidoo only to promote my products, my sites and my blog, but I like to know that every month I receive my salary from Squidoo because I'm a lensmaster.

    It's nice to have a passive income. This way you don't depend only on sales. Sales are irritating. There are days that you sell a lot, but there are also disappointing empty days. Having a passive income while promoting your products and many affiliate products is a very good idea.

    If you are not a writer, use content you'll find everywhere online about your topic. You even get Squidoo points when people click on your links.

    Here is a lens I created by using content from Wikipedia with a legal link to the original document, which makes everything become very simple. This content is simply illustrating my lens. I had also written a few articles for this lens, but I thought that it would be an interesting idea to make it more educative:

    http://www.squidoo.com/dreams-about-snakes

    Here is a lens I created to teach everyone what I learned about Squidoo:


    http://www.squidoo.com/passive-income-website-traffic-squidoo-beginners-guide


    This lens is a true gift I wish I had found when I was trying to create my first lenses. I've already posted it in this forum numerous times. It shows you exactly what to do to be successful with Squidoo. I show you everything I know in a very simple and well-organized way.

    You can do many things with Squidoo and make a lot of money online if you'll simply follow their rules.


    There are infinite niches and products online. You'll surely discover what to promote without problems.

    Thanks Clever....great advice! ;-)
    Signature
    Eileen Starbuck
    Single Mom | Super Affiliate Promoter of "The Well Oiled Affiliate Machine"
    (...where anyone can learn how to bring home the online bacon!)
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7068661].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Jesus Perez
    Seth's Blog: Stepwise progress

    Yesterday, Squidoo reached one of its goals: We're now ranked #50 among all US sites in traffic. Ahead of the New York Times and Apple.



    There are more than four million pages on Squidoo, from a recipe for candied chickpeas to an entire magazine about Halloween. All built by our talented members.
    They would never have reached that rank with affiliate-driven articles about weight loss. You need to dig deep into a niche in order to get articles to "stick" there.
    Signature

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7068662].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Martin Lee Jr
    If you not doing Amazon, best stay away from Squidoo, unless you are listbuilding to a list unrelated to their banned niches.

    But here's a question - I haven't used Squidoo since 2011, have they made a change to their TOS this year or something?

    It seems like more and more people are getting rejected Squidoo and Ezine Articles, but I never really had a problem with either one of them
    Signature
    How Can I help...
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7069052].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author davepilgrimus
    They do have an appeal process you can go through. So you can try that.

    I have had this happen a lot because they thought my material was not original. So I had to appeal the Squidoo lens so that they could see the lens was original.
    Signature

    Have a free issue of my iPad survival and outdoor magazine at http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/happy...526305539?mt=8

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7069140].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author nicholasb
    I actually wouldn't waste time with backlinks, you are much better learning direct response marketing and using paid advertising.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7070075].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Pcity
    Have you read their rules and regulations?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7071064].message }}

Trending Topics