How I'm Building Successful Authority Sites In 15 Minutes A Day (For Free)

by GSX 40 replies
The Importance Of That 1 Thing Daily

Warrior Friends, I just wanted to share a couple pointers based on some success I've been having building authority sites in a variety of niches. While I'm not going to go into huge detail regarding all my marketing efforts I do want to point out 1 thing that has been working well at building consistently growing traffic.

I used to hit road blocks and plateaus with traffic. All my marketing efforts seemed to work well but the sites would never take off. I was going through the motions but nothing seemed to be clicking. One thing I realized that was apparent was a lack of FOCUS. I would sit around waiting and it would be days and days and I hadn’t actually done anything to increase the traffic at all, other than wait for it to start based on previous efforts.

So I decided to try an experiment. Every day for 15 minutes (minimum) I would do nothing but focus on building free traffic sources to a site. What exactly am I doing? A Variety of things depending on the niche of the site, but usually my schedule goes like this.

Day 1: Schedule tweets with related content for the upcoming week
I make sure on the first day that I have a steady stream of post going to twitter, at least 4 tweets a day. These post are all content that my followers in the niche would be interested in but NOT content on my site. I use stumbleupon to find cool content and schedule these out, this can be done for a week in about 15 minutes. I do also spend time answering tweets and engaging my following as well throughout the week.

Day 2: Post QUALITY comments on related forums
I do this 2 days a week, this is a good amount of engagement for these more specific type of forums (i.e. a kayaking forum doesn’t update as much as the WF does) so 2 days a week works well. I try and answer a few post with a link to the site in my signature.

Day 3: Answer Yahoo Answers related to my niche
Yahoo Answers still works great at getting people to the site. Most of the specific niches don’t have questions coming in all day long every day, so I usually only answer once a week, again, quality answers.

Day 4: Answer blog post on related websites
I usually only post 2 or 3 longer well thought out comments on highly trafficked websites instead of crappy 1 liner ‘thanks for this post’.

Day 5: Post QUALITY comments on related forums
Repeat Day 2

Obviously all of those channels have links in 1 form or another coming back to their respective authority site. You may need to rotate a couple things around or focus on 1 more then the other but the key is spending just 15 minutes a day doing SOMETHING to boost traffic.

The goal? Get people to your site and get them RETURNING to your site. I use Hello Bar to encourage people to then subscribe to the RSS feed and that gets them coming back. For months RSS subscriber numbers have been increasing, traffic has been increasing and engagement has been going up. None of these sites rely heavily on SEO for traffic (while they rank for a variety of keywords they are focused on building a following that doesn’t rely on search.)

I do this 15 minute drill for each of my sites every day now, but the key is FOCUS and do something daily and you will see returns.

I hope this helps some of you out who are struggling to see some consistent traffic on your authority or niche sites!
#main internet marketing discussion forum #authority #building #day #free #minutes #sites #successful
Avatar of Unregistered
  • Profile picture of the author Baadier Sydow
    Great advice GSX and stuff thats repeatable for any niche. Ive been using Buffer - A Smarter Way to Share on Social Media to schedule posts across my core social media profiles. This posts at different times of the day to maximise exposure. Since starting this I have gained increased activity and engagement with my brand.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7093535].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author nipsyr
    Thank you for this. I have been struggling to keep a consistent schedule as I have way too much to do each day but this makes it easier.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7093543].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author foomenow
    Thank's for the advice!, keep it coming!
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7093936].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author imobile
    Thanks for this info getting a steady routine going is important and this is pretty simple and doesn't require hours a day to get results. Just plugging away.
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7093962].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author ksmusselman
      Excellent post, GSX, and it's so true and important!

      I'm at home full time on disability so I too have time. But I also know that for myself personally, I don't "multi-task" without getting sidetracked and lost. So to streamline, I decided to drop out of two networking opportunities, shut down their two related blogs, combine those posts into one blog (which meant exhuming my old domain name that was pointing to another one)...

      And then I sat down and took the best tips from my favorite marketers and made myself up a new schedule so that I'm Doing Something Every Day (my best tip to my downline!).

      Now I have one networking marketing program that I'm working and I love it! Just concentrating and focusing on this one program, I can build lots of content for my blog that talks about this program.

      I can do lots of YouTube videos related to this program as well, which also builds backlinks and adds traffic to my blog.

      I've fallen off of old schedules so many times before because I was trying to do too much and promote too many programs, totally against my personality and abilities.

      I only need to sell one - last - business and I'll be FREE of the hands-on, physical work! Because these last few days have been brutal; I'll be right in the middle of keyword searching for an article or reworking an article into a video and wouldn't you know ...

      Phone rings or I get an email for an order, so I have to stop in the middle of my schedule and do something else - for like, the rest of the day. After that, it's just really hard for me to get back on track.

      But even if I'm able to just do my "to-do list" from my network marketing program and a little article research, I've at least Done
      Something Today. And once I get my e-commerce business sold, I won't have those disruptions anymore.
      Signature
      Do You Vape? Submit a Guest Post! SmokersLogicEcigs.com
      Info Blog about Ecigs & Personal Vaporizers
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7094664].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Jeff Lenney
    Banned
    This is quite cool thanks for sharing. . Sorry for the shrt post. Want to follow this one
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7094986].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Byoob Kelly
      What am I missing with yahoo answers.

      I leave epic replies with a link back to my authority site, and my account gets banned in less than 24 hours?
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7095053].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Aegir
    Good advice. Yahoo answers hmmm maybe i will have to try them again.

    Any tips for dealing with them would be welcome
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7095083].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author HeatherH
    Fantastic advice, especially for those who are struggling to create a schedule of some sort.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7095092].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author apkkadam
    Thanks for the advice. Finding enough time to do everything is always a challenge.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7095558].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author schttrj
      Unfortunately, you have bypassed the very TOPIC of the thread.

      How I'm building successful authority sites in 15 minutes? - You haven't really said anything about that.

      You can get traffic to almost anything, but only your "authority" keeps the traffic coming in for years ahead.

      So, where's the blueprint for that?
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7095682].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author captainron4
        Originally Posted by schttrj View Post

        Unfortunately, you have bypassed the very TOPIC of the thread.

        How I'm building successful authority sites in 15 minutes? - You haven't really said anything about that.

        You can get traffic to almost anything, but only your "authority" keeps the traffic coming in for years ahead.

        So, where's the blueprint for that?
        Yes he says nothing about "building Authority sites" only on driving traffic to them, good post but nothing to do with the title and why I entered in the first place
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7643654].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author JohnMcCabe
          Originally Posted by captainron4 View Post

          Yes he says nothing about "building Authority sites" only on driving traffic to them, good post but nothing to do with the title and why I entered in the first place
          There are two aspects of 'building' at play here. Building the actual site, which is not covered, and building the authority of that site, which is.

          I'm guessing you were really hoping for some kind of automated whiz-bang, right?
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7725289].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author malcsimm
      I like your post. A lot of people could use this for a template and add in their own social favourites. And the extras recommended by other posters which you have flushed out - Hellobar and Buffer - look like great suggestions too!

      Trying to cover too many social channels at once - Facebook, Linkedin, Twitter, Google +1, etc etc can just be too overwhelming. But having a schedule like yours, just targeting Yahoo, Twitter, and forums, makes sure you focus and stay focused. You will surely get better and better results and the, as you say, you can outsource some of it to a good writer who knows your field.


      Another way which has been getting a lot of mention recently is guest blog posting. For example, I think Sarah Staar has a free video about it on her site and she talks about it in the WSO she launched 2 weeks ago. That's another idea to throw in the mix as a possibility.


      But whatever you do, you are right, GSX to have a schedule of set "social" tasks you do every week and stick to it closely.


      One way to stop being deflected from your schedule is to follow David Allen's advice (author of the wonderful Getting Things Done) and anything which is not what you are supposed to be doing right NOW, if it takes 2 minutes or less: do it, else write it on your To Do list. Be really strict with yourself on this one.


      So I might write: "Add Hellobar to my blog xxx", after I had spent 2 minutes having a quick look, or: "Check out Hellobar to see if it's useful", if I couldn't decide in 2 minutes. Then that To Do would get prioritised appropriately when I reviewed my To Do list next morning. If you strictly follow this method then you stop getting distracted from your main task in hand.


      I love using Evernote to manage my To Do list, so I can just jot a note into Evernote which takes seconds, then tag all notes I've added with appropriate tags once a day.


      If I'm out, then I use the app Fastever to add the item on my smartphone, which syncs. If it really has to be done that day, it's one of the few things that makes it through to my calendar.


      Using Evernote in this way works well to keep me focused on the job in hand and not get distracted. Anything I want to store for future reference has a different "Notebook" from my To Dos.


      +++
      Byoob - care to give an example of an answer of yours that Yahoo banned? Could it be the way you leave the link? That doesn't sound right :-|
      +++


      Malc

      :-)
      Signature

      You WILL banish # Procrastination, # Email bloat, # Wasting time, # Wasting money
      Getting Things Done PLUS Evernote turned my life around - read here how I do it
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7095760].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author JohnMcCabe
    Originally Posted by eLeSlash View Post

    I dont think you could build authority websites in 15 minutes. It takes me months to get that result. Now it depends how you define 'authority'.
    I read the headline that way the first time I saw it, too.

    Read it again.

    How I'm Building Successful Authority Sites In 15 Minutes A Day

    It doesn't say that every day the OP builds another authority site in 15 minutes. It says that the OP has a schedule of things designed to do every day which help build the authority of his existing site.

    I opened the thread looking forward to a chance to rip into another automated content scraper advocate, and found common sense instead.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7097693].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Sylvia Dart
    Hi there, just read your post GSX, and would like to thank you for taking the time to write that post. As a newbie I struggle with keeping a schedule and you've offered some great tips. Like you said doing just 1 thing daily adds up to success in the long run. Thanks again
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7097983].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author GSX
    Ya sorry if it's confusing relating to the 15 minutes a day, let me elaborate.

    I've already set the site up, have content autoscheduled to post for the next few months, everything automated on the actually website end, the 15 minutes a day is for generating new traffic to the site with the hopes that 1 in 50 or 1 in 100 visitors starts coming back and frequenting the website. I've been doing this for months on all my sites and seen drastic improvements in direct traffic which is what I want. While yes focusing on SEO can catapult a site quicker, it can also be a bit more volatile, these sites I'm building around referrals, social and word of mouth.

    Regarding yahoo answers I saw a few questions, I've noticed it can vary depending on niche, sorry you got banned within 24 hours of putting in a genuine answer, that's strange. If yahoo answers isn't going to work for your site, substituting in blog comments work for sure.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7099456].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ilee
    great information GSX. I think the recent updates have become a sort of wake up call for MNS builders to look ahead at what sorts of sites will last
    Signature
    --~***~--


    --~***~--
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7099506].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author GSX
      Originally Posted by ichl13 View Post

      great information GSX. I think the recent updates have become a sort of wake up call for MNS builders to look ahead at what sorts of sites will last
      Definitely, which is why I've been SEO Minded on the sites and building content around SEO keywords but in no way relying on SEO for traffic, any extra rankigns boost are just icing on the cake, and you'll find that that is just what Google is looking for, high quality sites - they'll naturally rank and by trying to focus my marketing efforts on building traffic streams that don't rely on SEO it's much less nerve-wracking!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7099613].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author shane_k
        Originally Posted by GSX View Post


        any extra rankings boost are just icing on the cake, and you'll find that that is just what Google is looking for, high quality sites - they'll naturally rank and by trying to focus my marketing efforts on building traffic streams that don't rely on SEO it's much less nerve-wracking!
        I like this thought process, that your focus is on building high quality sites, and that extra rankings are icing on the cake.

        My own thought process on rankings is similar.

        I don't focus much on SEO at all. My main focus is on providing high quality content as defined by my target market.

        I focus on providing exactly what they are looking for and what they want so they are satisfied and come back again and again.

        And I feel that rankings are like rewards from Google for providing a good service to my target audience.

        I don't try to game the system, and with all these updates that have been happening lately none of my sites have dropped. So I am doing something right.

        and I think it has a lot to do with this kind of thought process.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7100116].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author jbsmith
    I tihnk what is really making the difference for you - I know it does for us - is regularly updating content (for us a blog with lots of RSS readers) and bookmarking a good number of those quality posts across Twitter, Facebook, Digg, Reddit, SU, etc...

    This for us brings in 1000's of visitors daily across each of our blogs. Forums help too...but it's the regular content bookmarked in the proper ways so people can find you is what really works.

    Jeff
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7099627].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author shovonpk
    o what a post.... i like it.....
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7099786].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author letsgetstarted
    How many site, how much income?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7099817].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Mark72
    This is the second post that I've seen today that has mentioned yahoo answers as a worthwhile traffic source.

    I might take a look at this as it looks like it could work with consistent effort.

    I also like the RSS tip. I think RSS has far more potential than people realize.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7099912].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author glowworm
      Banned
      I'd rather do a FULL DAY on ONE site and get it top ranked and ensure it is a definitive authority site, than split my time between numerous sites allocating only 15 minutes per day each.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7099966].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author IMSince2003
    Originally Posted by GSX View Post

    The Importance Of That 1 Thing Daily

    Warrior Friends, I just wanted to share a couple pointers based on some success I've been having building authority sites in a variety of niches. While I'm not going to go into huge detail regarding all my marketing efforts I do want to point out 1 thing that has been working well at building consistently growing traffic.

    I used to hit road blocks and plateaus with traffic. All my marketing efforts seemed to work well but the sites would never take off. I was going through the motions but nothing seemed to be clicking. One thing I realized that was apparent was a lack of FOCUS. I would sit around waiting and it would be days and days and I hadn’t actually done anything to increase the traffic at all, other than wait for it to start based on previous efforts.

    So I decided to try an experiment. Every day for 15 minutes (minimum) I would do nothing but focus on building free traffic sources to a site. What exactly am I doing? A Variety of things depending on the niche of the site, but usually my schedule goes like this.

    Day 1: Schedule tweets with related content for the upcoming week
    I make sure on the first day that I have a steady stream of post going to twitter, at least 4 tweets a day. These post are all content that my followers in the niche would be interested in but NOT content on my site. I use stumbleupon to find cool content and schedule these out, this can be done for a week in about 15 minutes. I do also spend time answering tweets and engaging my following as well throughout the week.

    Day 2: Post QUALITY comments on related forums
    I do this 2 days a week, this is a good amount of engagement for these more specific type of forums (i.e. a kayaking forum doesn’t update as much as the WF does) so 2 days a week works well. I try and answer a few post with a link to the site in my signature.

    Day 3: Answer Yahoo Answers related to my niche
    Yahoo Answers still works great at getting people to the site. Most of the specific niches don’t have questions coming in all day long every day, so I usually only answer once a week, again, quality answers.

    Day 4: Answer blog post on related websites
    I usually only post 2 or 3 longer well thought out comments on highly trafficked websites instead of crappy 1 liner ‘thanks for this post’.

    Day 5: Post QUALITY comments on related forums
    Repeat Day 2

    Obviously all of those channels have links in 1 form or another coming back to their respective authority site. You may need to rotate a couple things around or focus on 1 more then the other but the key is spending just 15 minutes a day doing SOMETHING to boost traffic.

    The goal? Get people to your site and get them RETURNING to your site. I use Hello Bar to encourage people to then subscribe to the RSS feed and that gets them coming back. For months RSS subscriber numbers have been increasing, traffic has been increasing and engagement has been going up. None of these sites rely heavily on SEO for traffic (while they rank for a variety of keywords they are focused on building a following that doesn’t rely on search.)

    I do this 15 minute drill for each of my sites every day now, but the key is FOCUS and do something daily and you will see returns.

    I hope this helps some of you out who are struggling to see some consistent traffic on your authority or niche sites!
    I would like to add 3 things to improve your results:

    1) One YouTube video per site per week. That should take no more than 15 min.
    2) One Squidoo lens per week.
    3) One HubPages Hub per site per week.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7100102].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author DubDubDubDot
    You can't be generating much new traffic with this. Likely not even 100 uniques a day.

    "successful" and "15 minutes a day" do not jive in this business. If it's a starting point to get you in the swing of things, wonderful.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7100157].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author snippnet
    That really is good advice. However, above someone mentioned that you are using a lot of time doing this - but I guess you'd need to weigh how much it's improving your business, etc. Thanks for the advice!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7100182].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Jeff Schuman
    Good post GSX. I like how you have a system and stick to it. I have found in local business marketing and niches with low competition it is possible to get your site ranked, and consistent traffic, if you go after it in multiple ways like you are doing.
    Signature
    Jeff Schuman - Blog Writer For Hire! Buy affordable, quality niche blog articles written by me for you. Quick turnaround.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7642405].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author vickybabe
      The only thing i would add to your post is to mix in a bit of syndication. So create some pdf's of your post and upload them to sites like scribd and yudu.

      Then create a simple slide show and upload it to slideshare, youtube, dailymotion and metacafe.

      This should also bring in some decent traffic, another thing that is essential is social sharing buttons on your site. This in itself can gain a boatload of extra viewers, all with you doing very little work
      Signature
      Free Wso: Watch As We Rank A Video On The First Page In 4 Minutes Flat - Get Access Here
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7642441].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Daniel R
        Great tips, consistency is key here, whatever you do you have to do it for a long period of time before you see any results, if you give up early you´re just wasting your time
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7643624].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Malcolm Thomas
    Solid post. Thanks for sharing. Using your time wisely is a very important key to being successful online.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7724284].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author janiman
    Great and very helpful information GSX. I really learned many things from this post.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7724885].message }}
Avatar of Unregistered

Trending Topics