My plan to $10-$15k per month... Critique?

by WillST
58 replies
Hi guys,

My main source of income is through running an offline SEO agency, and I'm now looking at diversifying my income stream through creating a niche authority site and monetising it (and then replicating in a different niche).

So this is my plan, please be as brutally honest with it and pick out the holes and add suggestions on what to change:

1. Use Market Samurai and Niche Finder (by Brad Callen) to find a high traffic/mid to low competition keywords in a niche where people are already spend money.

2. Buy a domain, set up a wordpress blog and optimise for the main keyword.

3. Drip feed unique, 500 word articles 2-3 times per week until there is a total of 100+ pages of content on the site, in order to pull a good chunk of traffic through random long tail keywords.

4. Backlink for the main keyword (and maybe some variants) in order get ranked and pull the majority of the traffic for the main phrase.

5. Have a free gift for opt in to build email list.

6. When the traffic is at a decent enough level (no idea what that would be) add some affiliate offers, adwords, and other monetisation methods.

_____

Firstly - does this sound doable to actually earn some cash with this? Or is it one of those where it looks good on paper, but in practice it will bring in a few $$ but nothing substantial?

Secondly, I'm unsure of the following:

1. Are market samurai and niche finder worth purchasing and using? Are they still effective in uncovering some gems?

2. Is there a typical wordpress theme that has shown to be good for the ol' niche authority site? As I haven't got a clue what theme to use...

I've had shiny object syndrome for the last few months and have done a little research on nearly everything, so I've decided to take imperfect action and just get stuck in and jump in at the deep end.

I've figured this will only cost a few hundred $ to set up, continually add articles (outsourced) and build the traffic - and then monetise the site. If successful (which I'm certainly expecting it to be), then I'll do the entire process all over again in a different niche, and continue to build until I reach $10-$15k per month...

Hope that ramble made sense and a few Warriors related with the path I'm about to throw myself down...

Apologies for the life story, but would very much appreciate any thoughts/opinions/suggestions/tips or even a reality check

Thanks guys,

JSTEF
#$10$15k #critique #month #plan
  • {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7112246].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Liam Hamer
      It sounds like a pretty good plan, but in my opinion you are relying too much on(potential) SEO traffic. By all means, select good keywords and such, but I think you need plenty more traffic sources.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7112278].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author GobBluthJD
        Originally Posted by Liam Hamer View Post

        It sounds like a pretty good plan, but in my opinion you are relying too much on(potential) SEO traffic. By all means, select good keywords and such, but I think you need plenty more traffic sources.
        Yes. Traffic and quality content. And be prepared for it to take a fairly LONG time to scale up to your goal amount. So don't get discouraged, stick with it.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7112286].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author WillST
          Originally Posted by GobBluthJD View Post

          Yes. Traffic and quality content. And be prepared for it to take a fairly LONG time to scale up to your goal amount. So don't get discouraged, stick with it.
          Thanks for this, yes its a lofty goal so I'm not expecting it to happen overnight

          Out of curiosity are there any assumptions on what this model could earn? More than likely a 'how long is a piece of string' type question...

          But if the research is done properly, and traffic is hitting the site at a rate of 5-10k visitors per month...

          $100 per month?
          $500 per month?
          $1,000 per month?

          More?

          I suppose a question like that can only be answered when the website is up and running!
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7112408].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ckbank
    Originally Posted by JSTEF View Post

    Hi guys,

    My main source of income is through running an offline SEO agency, and I'm now looking at diversifying my income stream through creating a niche authority site and monetising it (and then replicating in a different niche).

    So this is my plan, please be as brutally honest with it and pick out the holes and add suggestions on what to change:

    1. Use Market Samurai and Niche Finder (by Brad Callen) to find a high traffic/mid to low competition keywords in a niche where people are already spend money.

    2. Buy a domain, set up a wordpress blog and optimise for the main keyword.

    3. Drip feed unique, 500 word articles 2-3 times per week until there is a total of 100+ pages of content on the site, in order to pull a good chunk of traffic through random long tail keywords.

    4. Backlink for the main keyword (and maybe some variants) in order get ranked and pull the majority of the traffic for the main phrase.

    5. Have a free gift for opt in to build email list.

    6. When the traffic is at a decent enough level (no idea what that would be) add some affiliate offers, adwords, and other monetisation methods.

    _____

    Firstly - does this sound doable to actually earn some cash with this? Or is it one of those where it looks good on paper, but in practice it will bring in a few $$ but nothing substantial?

    Secondly, I'm unsure of the following:

    1. Are market samurai and niche finder worth purchasing and using? Are they still effective in uncovering some gems?

    2. Is there a typical wordpress theme that has shown to be good for the ol' niche authority site? As I haven't got a clue what theme to use...

    I've had shiny object syndrome for the last few months and have done a little research on nearly everything, so I've decided to take imperfect action and just get stuck in and jump in at the deep end.

    I've figured this will only cost a few hundred $ to set up, continually add articles (outsourced) and build the traffic - and then monetise the site. If successful (which I'm certainly expecting it to be), then I'll do the entire process all over again in a different niche, and continue to build until I reach $10-$15k per month...

    Hope that ramble made sense and a few Warriors related with the path I'm about to throw myself down...

    Apologies for the life story, but would very much appreciate any thoughts/opinions/suggestions/tips or even a reality check

    Thanks guys,

    JSTEF
    I've got Market Samurai and I love it. It's kinda on the slow side, but it's well worth it. It will tell you things like how much competition there is for a keyword domain name, how many times a keyword is mentioned on the web, what kind of money you can expect to make from being number one on Google and etc.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7112324].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author moonchaser
      Originally Posted by ckbank View Post

      2. Is there a typical wordpress theme that has shown to be good for the ol' niche authority site? As I haven't got a clue what theme to use...
      Hi there.
      Personally I will recommend Genesis Framework from Studio Press genesis.1.8.2.
      Is easy to customize, site optimization is easy and efficient. I use it on different niches. You will have to use with it 2 essential plugins Simple Hooks Plugin and Genesis Layout Extras. You can find a lots of Genessis plugins. Just do a search.
      Problogger is using it also.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7112532].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author WillST
    Thanks so far guys...

    Yes, that was my only real concern - relying very heavily on the big G for traffic... Ok that can be one part of the plan where I'll flesh out with alternative traffic sources...
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7112329].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ProAffiliate01
    How is this plan going so far? I'm curious to know. Has it made as money money as you hoped?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7112363].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author WillST
    I haven't started yet... This is me publicly getting my thoughts in order, and getting a little bit of advice before jumping in with two feet first.

    I'll be starting with the keyword research next week, and looking to have the first website live by the end of October.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7112372].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author footbag_man
    Having 100 articles on the site will definately help you get some traffic but I don't think it is your ticket to $15,000 per month every month.

    Look into other traffic methods such as
    1. youtube,
    2. media buys,
    3. solo ads,
    4. google and microsoft PPC
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7112520].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author WillST
      Originally Posted by footbag_man View Post

      Having 100 articles on the site will definately help you get some traffic but I don't think it is your ticket to $15,000 per month every month.

      Look into other traffic methods such as
      1. youtube,
      2. media buys,
      3. solo ads,
      4. google and microsoft PPC
      Yep, I'm not assuming that 1 website with 100 articles will result in $15k per month. I just intend to get it up to 100 articles to see what traffic we can get with this, and how to monetise, etc, I'll then continue to grow the site to earn more $$...

      And then repeat the process in other niches...
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7112551].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author tbballking24
    The plan sounds great but Make sure you have an opt-in box on your wordpress blog! It is crucial that you build a list so you can promote affiliate offers in the future!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7112569].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author WeavingThoughts
    With one such website you will probably not reach anywhere close to 10k a month. But with 5-20 websites in different niches and each with a list, you can probably reach 10k pm if they are authority websites and if you monetize in several ways.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7112590].message }}
    • Originally Posted by WeavingThoughts View Post

      With one such website you will probably not reach anywhere close to 10k a month. But with 5-20 websites in different niches and each with a list, you can probably reach 10k pm if they are authority websites and if you monetize in several ways.
      So very very wrong :rolleyes:
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7112610].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Alexa Smith
      Banned
      Originally Posted by JSTEF View Post

      6. When the traffic is at a decent enough level (no idea what that would be) add some affiliate offers, adwords, and other monetisation methods.
      My limited input may be very little help to you at all, here, because I work the other way round. Deciding this is always first on my list, not last: I start off by deciding what I want to sell/promote (typically judging that by looking at my perception of what people want to buy).

      I have to agree with Liam, though, that you're looking primarily at SEO traffic. Please excuse the observation that, for myself, I'd hate to depend on that. Not only is it the least-opting-in, least-buying traffic source, collectively, out of every type of traffic I've ever tried (and I do now get plenty of it, in 8 different niches), but Google can also take it all away from you whenever they feel like it, so it's pretty precarious, too.

      I always feel guilty making these observations, and I know some people think it's "negative posting", but to me this simply wouldn't be a reliable or desirable business model to try to build at all, just for those reasons: sorry. :rolleyes:

      Originally Posted by WeavingThoughts View Post

      With one such website you will probably not reach anywhere close to 10k a month. But with 5-20 websites in different niches and each with a list, you can probably reach 10k pm if they are authority websites and if you monetize in several ways.
      I'm with Jason (above) in completely disagreeing with this, too.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7112632].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author WillST
        Originally Posted by Alexa Smith View Post

        My limited input may be very little help to you at all, here, because I work the other way round. Deciding this is always first on my list, not last: I start off by deciding what I want to sell/promote (typically judging that by looking at my perception of what people want to buy).

        I have to agree with Liam, though, that you're looking primarily at SEO traffic. Please excuse the observation that, for myself, I'd hate to depend on that. Not only is it the least-opting-in, least-buying traffic source, collectively, out of every type of traffic I've ever tried (and I do now get plenty of it, in 8 different niches), but Google can also take it all away from you whenever they feel like it, so it's pretty precarious, too.

        I always feel guilty making these observations, and I know some people think it's "negative posting", but to me this simply wouldn't be a reliable or desirable business model to try to build at all, just for those reasons: sorry. :rolleyes:



        I'm with Jason (above) in completely disagreeing with this, too.
        Thanks Alexa, I appreciate your honesty, as before I've spent any time or money on this plan, I need to get some advice from people already in the trenches!

        I hope this question wont be too much of a burden for you to answer, but, what would you suggest as an alternative 'plan' to follow if what I'm currently thinking of doing is largely flawed?

        Thanks again
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7112650].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Alexa Smith
          Banned
          Originally Posted by JSTEF View Post

          I hope this question wont be too much of a burden for you to answer, but, what would you suggest as an alternative 'plan' to follow if what I'm currently thinking of doing is largely flawed?
          Ooh, well ... it depends on your own skill-set and what kind of business you want to build, doesn't it?

          You mentioned some stuff I know nothing about (AdSense, and so on).

          I can mention a kind of business that works out very well for me, which is to promote mostly ClickBank products (that's about 85% of my income, though I'm diversifying a little, now), by article marketing. I don't say it's going to be the right business for you, though. But no secrets if you want to see what I do - it's pretty much covered here, starting from this post, and "working outwards, following links": http://www.warriorforum.com/main-int...ml#post5721774

          Disclaimer: I had more or less professional-standard writing skills before I started.

          I'll add one other thing, though: I think that with "niche sites" it's a real mistake to start off a lot of different ones at the same time. The early stages of such businesses involve the highest workload and the lowest income, and you probably wouldn't want to be doing that for more than one or two niches at a time. The plane sometimes needs a good, long runway to get off the ground and fly at all, and if you're spreading yourself too thinly, it might never happen in any of the niches. Just my perspective.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7112726].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author WeavingThoughts
    You have got to be practical. Some big websites may make 10k+ profit per month.

    First thing is that I am talking of take home profit, not revenue.

    Second, I am not talking of the top 5% websites but what the average successful website can do.

    In a small niche a moderately successful website which is the first of a person is almost certainly not going to make 10k a month, even more unlikely within the first year. You may reach 1-2k profit a month within a few months. More, if it does really well.

    But you can't bank on a website to make you 10k consistently, that too in passive income, especially if the niche isn't amongst the saturated ones.

    If your primary keywords receive just 1000-2000 local monthly searches and if you only receive 10,000 monthly visitors, then I doubt that you will make $1 per visitor per month.

    What you are saying maybe possible for an established webmaster but for somebody who is just starting out, keeping such a goal on Day 1 is unrealistic.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7112665].message }}
    • Originally Posted by WeavingThoughts View Post

      You have got to be practical. Some big websites may make 10k+ profit per month.

      First thing is that I am talking of take home profit, not revenue.

      Second, I am not talking of the top 5% websites but what the average successful website can do.

      In a small niche a moderately successful website which is the first of a person is almost certainly not going to make 10k a month, even more unlikely within the first year. You may reach 1-2k profit a month within a few months. More, if it does really well.

      But you can't bank on a website to make you 10k consistently, that too in passive income, especially if the niche isn't amongst the saturated ones.

      If your primary keywords receive just 1000-2000 local monthly searches and if you only receive 10,000 monthly visitors, then I doubt that you will make $1 per visitor per month.

      What you are saying maybe possible for an established webmaster but for somebody who is just starting out, keeping such a goal on Day 1 is unrealistic.
      OP didn't state what niche he would enter, only that it should have high traffic terms with mid to low competition and people spend in it.

      This is a plan to 10k, he doesn't specify timeframe, and 10k is on the low-end to be honest.

      You can either make 10k with one site or add many who make small amounts that add up. Personally I'd rather become an authority in one niche completely and personally manage that list than to be stretched thin from the get go.

      Just my opinion tho...
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7112901].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author WillST
        Originally Posted by Jason Perez O'Connor View Post

        OP didn't state what niche he would enter, only that it should have high traffic terms with mid to low competition and people spend in it.

        This is a plan to 10k, he doesn't specify timeframe, and 10k is on the low-end to be honest.

        You can either make 10k with one site or add many who make small amounts that add up. Personally I'd rather become an authority in one niche completely and personally manage that list than to be stretched thin from the get go.

        Just my opinion tho...
        THANK YOU!
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7112926].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author WillST
    It seems there are differing opinions on this business model with some suggesting its a good idea, and others suggesting otherwise...

    This is pretty much the internal dialogue I've been having over the previous few months - justifying why something would or wouldn't work... And ultimately deciding that it wouldnt... Which then led me to the next shiny object...

    Paralysis by analysis I think is the common term?

    I think regardless of which school of thought you come from... Having a website in a profitable niche, which has a few thousand visitors regularly each month CAN be monetised one way or another... Even if that 1 website is earning $50 or $500 monthly...

    The advice and suggestions in this thread have already got my cogs turning on how to tweak the 'foundation' of the plan...

    I recently read a blog from the owner of SecurityGuardTrainingHQ.com who advised that over an 18 month period has got this site earning him $2k-$3k net profit per month... Multiply that by 5, and there we go $15k per month.

    As mentioned, my main income is from providing SEO to offline clients, so I have a stable and growing income from this, but would love a healthy passive stream of income too...

    You know what, I'm just gonna go for it...
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7112899].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Alexa Smith
      Banned
      Originally Posted by JSTEF View Post

      I recently read a blog from the owner of SecurityGuardTrainingHQ.com who advised that over an 18 month period has got this site earning him $2k-$3k net profit per month
      I don't know the site, but what the statistician in me wants to know is how many people set up similar businesses at the same time and didn't achieve that. It's easy to look at a success story and not know whether it's "quite common" or "hugely exceptional", isn't it? (I know which one of those two success stories I'd want to copy).

      Originally Posted by JSTEF View Post

      It seems there are differing opinions on this business model with some suggesting its a good idea, and others suggesting otherwise...
      That's always the way, here, when something depends on SEO for its success. One could even be forgiven for forming the impression that some don't quite realize that there are non-SEO ways of building IM businesses, so that doesn't present any problem to them at all (call me a skepchick but I suspect that they're substantially the same people who think that it's "normal" to build lists from which only 25% of their own subscribers are willing to open emails from them).

      Originally Posted by JSTEF View Post

      You know what, I'm just gonna go for it...
      I wish you good luck with it, and look forward to hearing of its success.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7112970].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Black Hat Cat
        Banned
        Originally Posted by Alexa Smith View Post

        I don't know the site, but what the statistician in me wants to know is how many people set up similar businesses at the same time and didn't achieve that.
        The optimist in me wants to know how many people set up similar businesses at the same time and did better.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7114699].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author shane_k
      Originally Posted by JSTEF View Post


      It seems there are differing opinions on this business model with some suggesting its a good idea, and others suggesting otherwise...
      Well that can be a part of the problem with posting these kind of "would this model work..." posts.

      Each person who responds is going to have a different opinion based on their own experiences and/or beliefs.

      If you look at it though, your model is one of the basic models most people use already, anyway.

      1) Do keyword research
      2) Buy domain/setup website and optimize it
      3) create content to drive traffic to site
      4) backlinking to either drive even more traffic to the site or improve rankings
      5) offer free gift to get people onto a list
      6) monetize


      People are already successful using this basic model. Each person will have their own variations on it, some will do their keyword research using google, some market samuarai, some people will use this model to promote affiliate products, some will use it to promote their own products.




      The advice and suggestions in this thread have already got my cogs turning on how to tweak the 'foundation' of the plan...
      You have two great ideas that have been given to you by Alexa and weaving thoughts and others.

      1) Don't just rely on Google/SEO for your traffic. So create multiple traffic streams.

      2) You could create 1 site with the goal of making $1,000/month then once you reach that goal, you scale that up by creating another site, in the same niche or another niche and get that up to $1,000/month also.

      And each time you scale up it will be easier and easier because your skills and knowledge will have improved and you will know what works and doesn't.

      You know what, I'm just gonna go for it...
      This is the best thing that you have said so far.

      Get to it!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7113514].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Giggle
    Don't reply on google or search engine traffic because it will take a long time to meet your goals due to google constant changes. it is best to start with reasonable goals ($150 1ST month, $250 second month etc) for the short term and then have medium term and long term goals .
    You will need a fairly reasonable marketing budget to get to your intended goals and you will need few distractions so that you can focus. It's challenging but it is not impossible. Best of Luck
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7113892].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author leandros21
    This is the most professional way to build a profitable website, well done. I just advice you to buy a domain because all your steps are full of professional except you can find a two or three words domain that the words are in your niche.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7113961].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author jgant
    1 site can make $10 to $15K/month (it's unusual and not the norm). You don't necessarily need 100 posts either. It all depends on so many variables. Likewise a 1,000 page website can earn less than $100.

    Rely on SEO at your peril.

    Before Penguin 98% of my income was earned from affiliate offers on my websites. After Penguin, income dropped more than 50%. I was 100% dependent on SEO with the exception of some small lists I built haphazardly.

    Since Penguin, I've completely changed my approach. I've managed to recoup about 25% of my lost income and should close the gap in 3 to 6 months.

    My focus is now two-fold:

    1. Build lists (I'm focusing on 1 list for the next 3 to 6 months); and
    2. Promote quality products including 1 quality, high-paying recurring commission product. I do not sell a product.
    Post-Penguin I pay very little attention to SEO. It's too unreliable. I'm getting traffic from PPC, solo ads, banner ads, article syndication, a Kindle books (only have 1 published for now) and YouTube. I focus on getting as much bang out of each piece of content I generate as possible (article syndication, videos and expanding on existing research to create Kindle books). I direct paid traffic and syndicated content traffic to my squeeze pages.

    It's slow going as I'm in the beginning stages, but it's working. I expect my business will grow exponentially. SEO is great while it works, but having the rug pulled out from under me with Google Penguin was a nasty surprise. I prefer having more control over traffic via a list and buying traffic from quality sources.

    How I started my new approach:

    Chose a niche with which I was familiar.

    Created a free offer/incentive. I spent a lot of time on this and consulted with an expert to fine-tune it.

    Put together 3 months worth of informational e-newsletters in the e-mail sequence. I send e-mails out every 3 to 4 days in the first 2 months, then space it out every 6 to 8 days beyond that. I'll be tweaking this as I go forward.

    Created/tested more than 20 squeeze pages over the course of 3 to 4 weeks testing them with purchased traffic. Used BingAds for testing. My cost per click went down a ton after 30 days so expect to pay a little on the high side when you start with BingAds.

    Once I had decent conversions, I purchased several solo ads from 5 and 6 figure lists. Some of those ads have yet to run. I find it's more efficient buying from huge lists than dozens of small lists. It also costs much less per click. If you have the resources, look to the industry leading magazines in your niche for ezine ads. Many of them cost $500 to $1,000 for a sponsored ad sent out to 6 figure lists. Some however, cost $10K. They're out there in most niches (I'm in a fitness niche).

    I published a Kindle Book this week. I'm starting promotion tomorrow. I placed links in the book to my squeeze pages. I have no idea if this will be worth it. I can say, however, that being able to reference the published Kindle book bolsters credibility when approaching other websites for syndicating content ... which made the effort worthwhile.

    I run my BingAds every day now that my cost per click is low. It's a consistent source of traffic/subscribers on autopilot.

    I bought some banner ads. They're okay ... not nearly as effective as solo ads, but can be inexpensive. I wasted $500 on one banner ad, but did really well with another one. Win some, lose some.

    I use YouTube for traffic. It works well.

    Now that I have consistent paid traffic sources flowing for the next month, I'm focusing on syndicating content to establish long-term no-cost traffic. I syndicate my blog posts. I'm just now getting the blog off the ground. I only have 36 posts published to date, but should double that within a couple of months and syndicate everything. Each post is over 1,000 words and well-researched and sourced with endnotes or based on my direct experience.

    Once my list hits 10,000 subscribers, I'll do some adswaps selectively.

    If you have funds, I've found BingAds and sponsored ads/solo ads from 5 and 6 figures lists from industry leading websites to be the most effective when starting out. It will supercharge your list. I consider it an investment because once my list hits a certain size, I'll be able to do some high-quality adswaps.

    I also space out promotions to my list carefully. It's clear I'm promoting stuff, but at the same time I'm not promoting with every email. I still have work on the monetization side of things which I'll be getting to next week.

    I'm not by any means an e-mail marketing expert, but within 5 weeks I've managed to achieve quite a bit and attract 1,500 subscribers with a low unsubscribe rate starting in a new niche. I expect to attract 3,000 subscribers in October now that much of the start-up effort is completed (product creation, testing, sourcing paid traffic, website set up, etc.).
    Signature
    How I hit $10,000+ per month very fast w/ 1 niche blog - Click Here to learn more (no opt-in).
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7113977].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author jpeace808
    Looks and sounds great!
    Signature
    Learn How I Turned $40 into $40,000
    Click Here
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7113988].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Vadimarket
    Pretty simple formula. Seems like tasks everyone tell you to do. I wonder why 95% of people who do it, not making a penny with it?:rolleyes:
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7113989].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author PerformanceMan
      Originally Posted by Vadimarket View Post

      Pretty simple formula. Seems like tasks everyone tell you to do. I wonder why 95% of people who do it, not making a penny with it?:rolleyes:
      Because the idea is completely played out. Write a group of articles based on keywords and call it a website. Hope that the Google gods shine on you. While you're at it join the brigades of 70,000,000 people using WordPress to power their blogs.

      Build backlinks using the usual tactics. Expect a miracle. Call it a strategy. Ask for approval
      Signature
      Free Special Report on Mindset - Level Up with Positive Thinking
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7114006].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Vadimarket
        Originally Posted by PerformanceMan View Post

        Because the idea is completely played out. Write a group of articles based on keywords and call it a website. Hope that the Google gods shine on you. While you're at it join the brigades of 70,000,000 people using WordPress to power their blogs.

        Build backlinks using the usual tactics. Expect a miracle. Call it a strategy. Ask for approval
        Yeah, i knew that

        But seriously. I'm sorry, but your plan does kinda suck.

        Creating a simple website, creating a WordPress blog. That's what most "gurus" teach, and after creating thousands of worthless blogs and sites, their students realize that their dreams are perishing. That's why there are some abandoned garbage websites out there. Especially these days, when the competition is obnoxious.

        Now, I'm not saying you won't make a penny out of it. If you work hard enough,there is a chance of you making something. But 10-15k per month? You definitely need a better plan.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7114427].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Royce Space
    First of all, SEO is not a business. It's not even a product by Google. If you want a long term income and scalable business, then use paid traffic as a marketing channel.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7114007].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author PerformanceMan
      Originally Posted by Royce Space View Post

      First of all, SEO is not a business. It's not even a product by Google. If you want a long term income and scalable business, then use paid traffic as a marketing channel.
      You have a signature link that says "$39 into your PayPal account." It leads to a page that asks for an email and doesn't mention any free $39. What's the deal man?
      Signature
      Free Special Report on Mindset - Level Up with Positive Thinking
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7114016].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author GuruJu
    Originally Posted by JSTEF View Post

    Firstly - does this sound doable to actually earn some cash with this? Or is it one of those where it looks good on paper, but in practice it will bring in a few $$ but nothing substantial?
    it depends on your SEO abilities, as well as the funds. For an authority site your content needs to be excellent. 3 articles per week of the quality you're after will cost more than $5- $10 each.

    Secondly, I'm unsure of the following:

    1. Are market samurai and niche finder worth purchasing and using? Are they still effective in uncovering some gems?
    They are, but you cannot rely solely on those alone. Since you work as an SEO make sure you analyze the SERPs yourself, as you'll see ad placement, which will affect your efforts, and you'll need to check the backlink profile of the top 3 using something like A Hrefs and Majestic to be as accurate as possible.


    2. Is there a typical wordpress theme that has shown to be good for the ol' niche authority site? As I haven't got a clue what theme to use...
    Think of any authority site that exists. They do not look the same.
    "authority site" has become a buzzword thrown around and used in the place of "decent quality site". A true authority site is something like Amazon or Moneysupermarket. If that's what you're striving for you need to consider the value of what you'll be providing people more so than the amount of articles you'll publish per week.


    I've had shiny object syndrome for the last few months and have done a little research on nearly everything, so I've decided to take imperfect action and just get stuck in and jump in at the deep end.

    I've figured this will only cost a few hundred $ to set up, continually add articles (outsourced) and build the traffic - and then monetise the site. If successful (which I'm certainly expecting it to be), then I'll do the entire process all over again in a different niche, and continue to build until I reach $10-$15k per month...

    Hope that ramble made sense and a few Warriors related with the path I'm about to throw myself down...

    Apologies for the life story, but would very much appreciate any thoughts/opinions/suggestions/tips or even a reality check

    Thanks guys,

    JSTEF
    A "rinse and repeat" of this sort of project isn't as straightforward as you appear to believe.
    I mean you no disrespect, but do not underestimate what is involved here.
    Signature

    'As Confucius say,' but under the sky, under the heavens there is but one family.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7114072].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author PerformanceMan
    Does anyone here really believe this is any kind of 'plan' at all? It's not 2007 anymore. The slap content up and expect Google to send traffic days are over.

    There are 70,000,000 WordPress blogs. I repeat. 70,000,000. When you're starting WordPress blog number 70,000,001 you are facing an uphill battle. You're taking on well established competitors who have successfully executed and IM strategy for years. To expect to knock them out of number one with backlink tricks is naive at best.
    Signature
    Free Special Report on Mindset - Level Up with Positive Thinking
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7114120].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author TyreeSEO
      Originally Posted by PerformanceMan View Post

      Does anyone here really believe this is any kind of 'plan' at all? It's not 2007 anymore. The slap content up and expect Google to send traffic days are over.

      There are 70,000,000 WordPress blogs. I repeat. 70,000,000. When you're starting WordPress blog number 70,000,001 you are facing an uphill battle. You're taking on well established competitors who have successfully executed and IM strategy for years. To expect to knock them out of number one with backlink tricks is naive at best.
      So we should buy your services from your sig right? Baby, good love in your content will beat out the haters!
      Signature
      "If you don’t want beef, milk the cow, cowboy."
      -
      Lil Wayne
      (My name is Tyreese, not Tyree)
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7114122].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author PerformanceMan
        Originally Posted by TyreeSEO View Post

        So we should buy your services from your sig right? Baby, good love in your content will beat out the haters!
        Why would you buy my services? You claim you're an SEO right in your user name.

        You seem to be the hater.

        The OP put the word "Critique" right in the thread title. I'm criticizing his plan. If you disagree with what I said, then argue the point. Okay, baby
        Signature
        Free Special Report on Mindset - Level Up with Positive Thinking
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7114133].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author TyreeSEO
          Originally Posted by PerformanceMan View Post

          Why would you buy my services? You claim you're an SEO right in your user name.

          You seem to be the hater.

          The OP put the word "Critique" right in the thread title. I'm criticizing his plan. If you disagree with what I said, then argue the point. Okay, baby
          I was talking about the gentleman. Don't hate the player, hate the game.

          It sounded like you were hatin' his gameplan because it didn't involve his services. Are you giving him love, or are you trying to take it away?
          Signature
          "If you don’t want beef, milk the cow, cowboy."
          -
          Lil Wayne
          (My name is Tyreese, not Tyree)
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7114186].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Tayman
            Keep one thing in mind though...

            If you can conquer the beast that's screwing everyone over...you will be among the few.
            $$$$$$

            Any time the sky starts to fall in one area, it creates a vast opportunity for those who know how to exploit it.

            More wealth was created during the Great Depression than any time in history. Let that sink in for a moment.
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7114277].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author PerformanceMan
            Originally Posted by TyreeSEO View Post

            I was talking about the gentleman. Don't hate the player, hate the game.

            It sounded like you were hatin' his gameplan because it didn't involve his services. Are you giving him love, or are you trying to take it away?
            It's all love baby I'm not mad at anyone

            BTW, Google just released their first Penguin update in five months. Some people who built their strategy around nothing but SEO will be feeling the pain.

            I really think every strategy people follow these days must be integrated and holistic internet marketing. Use all tools available to you. (PPC, Video Marketing, SEO, Articles, Social Media, etc etc.)

            Otherwise you're like a bodybuilder who only works on your arms. You're wobbling around on tiny getaway sticks waiting to get bowled over by the first bully who comes along
            Signature
            Free Special Report on Mindset - Level Up with Positive Thinking
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7114350].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author Tayman
              Originally Posted by PerformanceMan View Post

              It's all love baby I'm not mad at anyone

              BTW, Google just released their first Penguin update in five months. Some people who built their strategy around nothing but SEO will be feeling the pain.

              I really think every strategy people follow these days must be integrated and holistic internet marketing. Use all tools available to you. (PPC, Video Marketing, SEO, Articles, Social Media, etc etc.)

              Otherwise you're like a bodybuilder who only works on your arms. You're wobbling around on tiny getaway sticks waiting to get bowled over by the first bully who comes along
              The thing that I find mind-boggling the most is the changes that seem to hurt the most people in this last update.

              I remember people talking about these potential changes YEARS ago and to start thinking differently.
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7114383].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author TyreeSEO
              Originally Posted by PerformanceMan View Post

              It's all love baby I'm not mad at anyone

              BTW, Google just released their first Penguin update in five months. Some people who built their strategy around nothing but SEO will be feeling the pain.

              I really think every strategy people follow these days must be integrated and holistic internet marketing. Use all tools available to you. (PPC, Video Marketing, SEO, Articles, Social Media, etc etc.)

              Otherwise you're like a bodybuilder who only works on your arms. You're wobbling around on tiny getaway sticks waiting to get bowled over by the first bully who comes along
              Aww I feel you dog. All love here too.

              Yeah man you need to work out on your core. Ladies want the whole package when you work out, not just the arms. In this case, just replace the ladies with Google and give it what it wants.
              Signature
              "If you don’t want beef, milk the cow, cowboy."
              -
              Lil Wayne
              (My name is Tyreese, not Tyree)
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7114645].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Tayman
        Building a business model around SEO traffic alone is a recipe for failure.

        How many tragic stories do we need to hear every time Google releases a new algorithm change before this sinks in?

        I'm sure people have killed themselves over losing everything they worked years for because Google decided to make changes.

        Results is what will motivate you to keep going. Waiting around forever (unless you know some "shady" SEO techniques) is not the route to go.

        Think of SEO as long term traffic.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7114148].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author TyreeSEO
          Originally Posted by Tayman View Post

          Building a business model around SEO traffic alone is a recipe for failure.

          How many tragic stories do we need to hear every time Google releases a new algorithm change before this sinks in?

          I'm sure people have killed themselves over losing everything they worked years for because Google decided to make changes.

          Results is what will motivate you to keep going. Waiting around forever (unless you know some "shady" SEO techniques) is not the route to go.

          Think of SEO as long term traffic.
          Shout out to Tayman.

          Have people really killed themselves? That's insane.

          But if you play the long term game like a long term relationship then you're bound to have a good marriage with Google.
          Signature
          "If you don’t want beef, milk the cow, cowboy."
          -
          Lil Wayne
          (My name is Tyreese, not Tyree)
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7114178].message }}
  • JGant seems to know what he's talking about. I'd recommend seeing how you can employ his strategies.

    The one you mentioned would be perfect -- 6 or 7 years ago. The game has changed a lot since then. Unless you got really, really lucky, was a fabulous writer, or something along those lines, there is no way you would get even close to $15k/month. Especially if you were relying 'solely' on google traffic, "hoping" it might dribble a bit down to you.

    If *all* you do is basic article marketing the 'traditional' way (write an article, submit to 100 online directories), hoping it results in sales from your site, you aren't going to get that much. Also, if you expect to make an 'authority' site with only a couple $100's "outsourcing" article writing, fat chance. (Also, if it was that easy, "tons" of people would already be doing that).

    JGant's post has a bit more of a 'detailed' plan which can help you see some results.

    Johnathan
    Signature
    Pick a product. Pick ANY product! -> 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7114264].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Marcus Rockey
    I would say you have a skeleton plan which may work out but it's still rather fuzzy.

    As with offline businees that I have also been involved in in the past I reverse engineer the process by beginning with what the final outcome will look like if it was a brilliant success...

    Once I know what I'm in for then it's time to go about listing all the obstacles that stand in the way of achieving the goal. With obstacles identified daily core commitments are established to overcome each obstacle.

    You have kind of spoke about this but there is key elements missing from your description.

    a. you will need to become familiar with your prospects. In fact it's Jay Abraham that says we need to "fall in love with our prospects and clients." Business is dooooooomed without this essential first step.

    I'm gonna leave it there and hope you heed the warning.

    Marcus Rockey
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7114426].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Ahmed Auf
    It's a good plan, however I'd suggest you put more effort on driving traffic using more sources other than SEO.

    Maybe youtube, banner ads, facebook...etc

    In general it is a good idea but it will require A LOT of work, you should outsource.

    I also suggest you use Thesis theme, very good community if you get stuck.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7114462].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author moonchaser
      I know it sounds rather Marxist and it is in fact, but for me quantity is quality or better said "Quantity has a quality all its own"
      I would never rely on a single website to pull my whole income.
      My own target is to make up to $ 300 from each website in a particular niche, and if I don't achieve that with only one website on that particular niche, I'll build a second one as a backup for the initial one.
      I'll give you 2 examples:
      One website is about real estate, and I get about 30,000 page views per month, with about 500 unique visitors per day. I'm not trying to sell anything, but adsense combined with chitika and infolinks are producing about $ 350 a month.
      Another one related to hotel reservations has half of the real estate traffic but is making about $ 450 per month via affiliated programs.
      Until now I have 9 websites on different niches, on different servers, and only 1 of them is making under $ 200. I never link one to another.
      I'm not trying to squeeze them for more money but rather try to maintain them at the same level and build more websites on different niches.
      This is just me, but I feel safer this way.
      Aiming for up to $ 15,000 with a new website is a bit unrealistic and if you mange to pull that income, I guess it will take you a very long time.
      Not to mention that a Google algorithm update can ruin all your hard work.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7114656].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Black Hat Cat
        Banned
        Originally Posted by moonchaser View Post


        Aiming for up to $ 15,000 with a new website is a bit unrealistic and if you mange to pull that income, I guess it will take you a very long time.
        Of course it's unrealistic when you cap your earnings goal at $300 a site. You have a site in the high paying real estate market getting 500 visitors a day that earns $350 a month. That sucks. That should easily be a $1,000 a month site from Adsense alone. Improving this one site would be worth three other sites, or more. And you could STILL build those other sites. I'm all for diversification, but your strategy of intentionally leaving money on the table makes no sense.

        Having said that, the OP didn't say he wanted to do it with one site. He said he would keep building sites until he gets there. And that's going to take a fairly long time too.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7114747].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author RobertoM
          Your plan sounds reasonable but have in mind that you'll face a bunch of work and time to get there starting with SEO.
          My advice: be very careful with your backlinking. Google will be pointing a gun to your head every day.
          Then, with some papers in your wallet go to paid traffic. Is much faster and safer (but also much more risky).
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7115178].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author moonchaser
          Originally Posted by Black Hat Cat View Post

          Of course it's unrealistic when you cap your earnings goal at $300 a site. You have a site in the high paying real estate market getting 500 visitors a day that earns $350 a month. That sucks. That should easily be a $1,000 a month site from Adsense alone. Improving this one site would be worth three other sites, or more. And you could STILL build those other sites. I'm all for diversification, but your strategy of intentionally leaving money on the table makes no sense.

          Having said that, the OP didn't say he wanted to do it with one site. He said he would keep building sites until he gets there. And that's going to take a fairly long time too.
          My bad. I overlooked the statement "(and then replicating in a different niche)
          I totally agree that pulling only about 350 from the real estate site sucks.
          One of the reasons I joined this forum is that I'm OK driving organic traffic to my websites, but it seems that I'm very poor in converting and I also lack the knowledge of driving traffic trough other techniques.
          I guess, I also constantly make the mistake to choose high end market niches where the competition is fierce so in a way that's way my target is around $ 300. It requires too much work to raise the income, and I'm not sure that I can manage to improve it.
          It seems that after it settles, a website has a certain potential of course with a minimum amount of work required weekly.
          I had bad experiences with working hard on only one site. After 3 years of high income relaying only on organic traffic the site dropped in rankings never to recover, now being only a ghost of what it used to be.
          The point is, you can't work hard on a lot of websites, not if you count only on SEO.
          You say: "That sucks. That should easily be a $1,000 a month site from Adsense alone. Improving this one site would be worth three other sites, or more."
          To me, improving this one site means to get 5 times more visitors in order to make that 1000, and to be fair I rather concentrate on something else.
          I'll attach the 5 days income via Adsense. As you will see there's no way to make 1000 a month, not with this CPR rate and this traffic.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7116027].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Lisha5684
    I think it's definitely possible to make some money off a blog like that. The only thing is that your outsourced articles need to be high quality and good grammar, otherwise you'll probably reap a lot less profit. You should be able to do trial and error and find yourself a good writer on odesk or something though.

    Also, I would expect more like $1,000-$4,000 a month with a blog (cents in the first few months, not much for a year possibly, realistically) but it really can only increase if you keep optimizing it. Persistence will really pay off with your idea.
    Signature

    -Start Getting Noticed On Twitter: http://twonderwoman.com
    -Visit my blog: http://blogandretire.com/blog - Tips for blogging, social media marketing, and online business.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7115650].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Lisha5684
    Oh and you should probably go read my other post I wrote that's semi-relevant: http://www.warriorforum.com/main-int...-strategy.html
    Signature

    -Start Getting Noticed On Twitter: http://twonderwoman.com
    -Visit my blog: http://blogandretire.com/blog - Tips for blogging, social media marketing, and online business.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7115652].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author prolink83
    You've figured out the easy part. Now the difficult part - Execution!

    Good Luck.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7115867].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author TomerN
    It's not that your idea is bad, but it may be outdated. Niche SEO research isn't as strong as it used to be. You obviously seem very motivated and I think you will get your 10k goal. I would just suggest something easier because niche marketing via SEO is a lot harder than it used to be and there are much easier options nowadays. But if you're very good at SEO, give it a shot.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7116092].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Amanda786
    I think its a good idea and Best of Luck !!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7116182].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author bjmorin58
    Very good Idea! I think that I can help you out! You plan sounds very similar to the on that I am working on now! Please check contact me personally! Facebook: Internet Wealth Ventures is a group and page. Check it out! Thanks
    Brandon
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7125521].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author sdentrepreneur
    Seems like too much work for little return. If you have these SEO skills and can rank on top Keywords, then build out Local Business related mini sites. Like... DenverDentistsOnline.com and get a top position and sell banner ads or get leads for that niche. Contact some business owners on page 2 or 3 on Google Places or Organic that wish they were ranked higher. Charge them a monthly fee to be only one on the site or some variation of that.
    I personally an not a big fan of SEO and prefer to just sell business owners a monthly marketing package of $1,000 to $2,500 per month.
    Signature

    Learn to become Digital, Internet and Social Media Marketing Consultant to Business Owners
    Click here to learn more - Internet, Digital and Social Media Marketing Training Course

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7125655].message }}

Trending Topics