Is it really a good idea to build a list without web content?

14 replies
Hi Warriors,

Like many folks I decided not to rely solely on Google based business and started to build email lists and traffic source that Google can never hit. I finished reading a few eBooks about list building this week and got the big picture:

Traffic (PPC, PPV, Soloads etc.) -> Squeeze Page -> Follow Up -> $$$

The eBooks said all I need to do is to have ONE simple squeeze page to start earning money, drive massive traffic to it and will start seeing some sales coming in.

I may be wrong but I doubt that: Is it a sustainable business model to build a list without quality web content, or without a brand?:confused: If so, how do you follow up the prospects?
#build #content #email marketing #good #idea #list #list building #web
  • Profile picture of the author Will Edwards
    Originally Posted by ivansintmkt View Post

    I may be wrong but I doubt that: Is it a sustainable business model to build a list without quality web content, or without a brand?:confused: If so, how do you follow up the prospects?
    In short, yes. And you can follow-up your prospects via autoresponder.

    Don't get me wrong, I think you should have a site, with decent content too. Get yourself a blog setup; it is easy to do and you can direct your autoresponder traffic to it. But, the book is quite right - you don't absolutely need a site to be making money.

    Will
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7164625].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author ivansintmkt
      Originally Posted by Will Edwards View Post

      In short, yes. And you can follow-up your prospects via autoresponder.

      Don't get me wrong, I think you should have a site, with decent content too. Get yourself a blog setup; it is easy to do and you can direct your autoresponder traffic to it. But, the book is quite right - you don't absolutely need a site to be making money.

      Will
      Thanks Will

      Then I can start to plan the sales funnel right now. I got the squeeze page and autoresponder ready.

      I will also setup a blog and update regularly with fresh content. Hope to integrate it into the strategy after a few months.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7164690].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author kawaiian
    You don't really need content but definitely a squeeze page if you ONLY want to build a list. I have purchased a few different WSO's on building a list. Most are the same and some I've learned new techniques. Just do a search and you will find some golden nuggets.
    Signature

    Tony Andico aka "The Islander Marketer"

    http://www.IslanderMarketer.com

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7164678].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Khemba
    Hi

    I know a few people who have built massive lists that they interact with on a regular basis without the use of a website, however in this day and age it is easier to get people to buy from you if they "know, like and trust you" and to do so it often helps if you have even a basic website that they can connect with.

    Hope this helps.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7164682].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author ivansintmkt
      Originally Posted by Khemba View Post

      Hi

      I know a few people who have built massive lists that they interact with on a regular basis without the use of a website, however in this day and age it is easier to get people to buy from you if they "know, like and trust you" and to do so it often helps if you have even a basic website that they can connect with.

      Hope this helps.
      Thanks Khemba.

      It would be easier to start off the email by stating who I am if I have a decent website.

      I'm on many people's list too. Occasionally I forget who they are if they don't have a website that I visit regularly and connect with.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7164731].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author JeremiahSay
    I totally agree, all you need is a squeeze-page to start making money online. However, please don't forget to test and improve your squeeze page for maximum results if necessary.

    Testing your conversion is one of the most important aspect (if not the most important one) for building a list.

    Hope this help,
    Jeremiah
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7164928].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author paul nicholls
    you can easily build a list with just a squeeze page and nothing else and let your business take care of everything behind the scenes

    personally i think its far more beneficial if you create plenty of good content and put it out there at the same time

    i have an IM blog which i have been building for over 3 years and it plays a very important part in my business

    I use my IM blog to provide lots of great info to my lists. Doing this i am not only keeping my lists happy by sending them regular quality content but im also putting more content "out there" which will attract more traffic which builds my list even bigger

    and the snowball continues

    this is what i do and it works well for me

    by no means is it an overnight strategy, and does take time and effort but it is powerful and very effective

    Paul
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7164930].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author contentwriting360
    Banned
    My answer may be perceived as bias because we run a content writing firm but IMHO you need to make a way for you to be liked, known, and trusted, just like what Khemba mentioned above. You got to make people see who you are, what you do, and what you can do for them. People will know those things through the content on your website (except for those who knew you personally, of course).
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7164952].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author AndrewStark
    Having a blog is brilliant, but if you don't want to do this you should at least have links to your social media profiles in the follow-up series.

    To get your squeezepage online you must have some sort of domain, so perhaps use this to upload a welcome video message and thank people for joining your list.

    With people on so many lists it's important that you brand yourself and build up a relationship rather than being yet another faceless marketer trying to sell me snake oil.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7164964].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author TaylorLu
    Banned
    You can earn money even if you do not provide quality content.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7165145].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author AndrewStark
      Originally Posted by TaylorLu View Post

      You can earn money even if you do not provide quality content.
      Yes, but what happens next month when you haven't brought in fresh leads?

      Churn & Burn can be make a profit, but not a business.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7165456].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author murtuza
    the formula should be...

    Traffic (PPC, PPV, Soloads etc.) -> Squeeze Page -> Follow Up -> Relationship -> $$$

    This is a great model only if you know that your sales funnel is profitable or else you will put a huge hole in your pocket by doing paid ads.

    And to make your sales funnel profitable you must have some solid product line to make this work. I advice you to have a free product on squeeze page, then an entry level $10 or $7 product, then $97 product, $397 product and then a $1000 coaching program.

    When you have this kind of sales funnel it gets easy to break even on your paid advertising and then make solid profits at the backend. You must test everything and then scale up slowly...
    Signature

    Want to know my true story & how I got started with my internet business? What kind of problems I faced to get started & how I finally cracked the internet code? I have also prepared a 30 day blueprint for you to get started. No signup is required, just rush in to check out pure content ==> how to start an online business - And yeah, if you like what you read don't forget to 'like' & 'tweet' it. All the best :0)

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7165571].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author ivansintmkt
      Originally Posted by murtuza View Post

      the formula should be...

      Traffic (PPC, PPV, Soloads etc.) -> Squeeze Page -> Follow Up -> Relationship -> $$$

      This is a great model only if you know that your sales funnel is profitable or else you will put a huge hole in your pocket by doing paid ads.

      And to make your sales funnel profitable you must have some solid product line to make this work. I advice you to have a free product on squeeze page, then an entry level $10 or $7 product, then $97 product, $397 product and then a $1000 coaching program.

      When you have this kind of sales funnel it gets easy to break even on your paid advertising and then make solid profits at the backend. You must test everything and then scale up slowly...
      Thank you for your advice. I will focus on creating one sales funnel before scaling up.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7168928].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Walter Parrish
    Originally Posted by ivansintmkt View Post

    Hi Warriors,

    Like many folks I decided not to rely solely on Google based business and started to build email lists and traffic source that Google can never hit. I finished reading a few eBooks about list building this week and got the big picture:

    Traffic (PPC, PPV, Soloads etc.) -> Squeeze Page -> Follow Up -> $$$

    The eBooks said all I need to do is to have ONE simple squeeze page to start earning money, drive massive traffic to it and will start seeing some sales coming in.

    I may be wrong but I doubt that: Is it a sustainable business model to build a list without quality web content, or without a brand?:confused: If so, how do you follow up the prospects?
    my first list was built by adding people interest in internet marketing to my gmail account. at first i just reviewed warrior offers, later when I learned about it I joined warriorplus.com and added an affiliate link to those offers.

    to my surprise the list started buying stuff, to the tune of 60, 100, 100+ per month and we are talking about a small list that started with 5 people for the first 2 months.

    Here's what I didn't have;
    NO autoresponder
    NO site setup
    NO squeeze page
    NO youtube

    So, as you can see you really don't need a site, squeeze page, hosting, autoresponder, or any of that even though those things would make things easier.
    Signature
    Use Feeder Sites, Articles, And Social Media Sites To Generate Unstoppable Traffic, FREE! Click Here Now To Get It For FREE
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7169936].message }}

Trending Topics