Why is IM dominated by mostly men...?

by ktlasm
102 replies
Hey Good People,

Simple question for ya...We all see the "guru's" and all the things they do to earn themselves a great living online. I totally respect their craft and ability to carve out their own piece of the pie, but as I've grown the past 7yrs in IM and have met my share of smart, successful marketers. It still surprises me that most of the "big dogs" are like me...MALE. Now, I know there are women ripping it up and doing their thing, but why do you think men dominate the IM industry as of now...? Ciao!
#dominated #men
  • Profile picture of the author SteelDanno
    Agree with PC. I think us fellas generally have more of the genetic hard wiring that makes us more predisposed to be attracted to all things money.
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[647359].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author gyar29
      Originally Posted by SteelDanno View Post

      Agree with PC. I think us fellas generally have more of the genetic hard wiring that makes us more predisposed to be attracted to all things money.
      So wrong in so many ways.

      I hope you're wearing your kevlar vest .

      I'm really really looking forward to the responses to this one!

      Gene
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[647372].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Nightengale
      Originally Posted by SteelDanno View Post

      Agree with PC. I think us fellas generally have more of the genetic hard wiring that makes us more predisposed to be attracted to all things money.
      What a load of BULL!

      In some respects, women are better businesswomen because they ARE women. Their nurturing instincts serve them well in both investing (buy and hold requires a nurturing mindset to build the nest egg) AND in building and growing a business.

      As someone else mentioned, women often have a cold side and a killer instinct which makes them VERY good businesswomen. Their STYLE though, is often decidedly feminine.

      I don't have time to research a lot of examples to throw out at you right now, but here's two off of the top of my head:

      1. Mary Kay Ash, founder of Mary Kay Cosmetics.

      Mary Kay had built a VERY successful career in direct sales (you know, the if-you-don't-sell-you don't-eat kind of business) and RETIRED before going on to found Mary Kay Cosmetics. Before you say it's strictly a female business (since she was selling cosmetics to other women), remember that direct sales requires is as much a determination, take-action, give-me-RESULTS, only-the-numbers-count type of business.

      Direct sales, no matter what you're selling, requires a very level business head and a results-oriented, no-excuses approach. PERIOD.

      And she was HUGELY, HUGELY successful. And so were many, many women who joined the company as Independent Mary Kay Consultants.

      2. Alexandria Brown, Alexandria Brown International -- Internet marketer

      I've chosen Alexandria as my IM coach/mentor and she's a self-made multi-millionaire. She's a woman and markets in a somewhat softer, more feminine voice. But she's a tremendous and extremely effective copywriter. There's nothing of the shy, retiring wallflower in her marketing. She's a stand-out girl and is dead-serious about business and getting results.

      3. Kay Graham -- owner/publisher Washington Post

      Kay Graham headed the Washington Post for many, many years and Watergate happened during her tenure. I've read her autobiography and was quite impressed. Running a newspaper (or any other periodical for that matter) is no small feat. The Post's coverage of the Watergate scandal could have sunk her paper, but it didn't and they maintained strong market share for many, many years. (Woodward and Bernstein were Washington Post reporters and led the way with the New York Times and other papers trying to catch up.)

      Those are just three examples, but they're good ones.

      True, you didn't say women COULDN'T start and run businesses, but saying that men are more predisposed to attract money is just as much Dark Ages theory. A lot of women could kick a man's &*^ all over the business landscape all day long.

      Grrrrr!

      Ok, off my soapbox now.

      Michelle
      Signature
      "You can't market here. This is a marketing discussion forum!"
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[975854].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Ron Killian
    It might be dominated by men, but I see quite a few female guru's/popular marketers, I think it's great
    Signature
    PLR Affiliate Program Has Launched! Easily Promote Over 5,000 PLR and MRR Products.

    Largest Selection of PLR Articles on the Planet! PLR Ebooks, PLR Video, PLR Websites and more with Private Label Rights
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[647371].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ktlasm
    PC...You've got a hit on you already..lol
    Signature

    I'm pretty cool if I say so myself...lol, and I know my stuff, folks. I'm 31 years old and I'm full, full, full time on the internet. No part timing around this way...I'm here because I simply enjoy spreading as much love & light as I possibly can. Check me out on facebook,& say Hi. http://www.facebook.com/kevingmadison or twitter http://www.twitter.com/kevinmadison

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[647379].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author syncjam
      We love money - we make money - then we give it to our wives!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[647381].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Michael Lee
        I think it might be due to many culture's belief where men are the breadwinners, and the wives take care of home and the kids. I could be wrong though.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[647389].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author SandraCee
          Originally Posted by Michael Lee View Post

          I think it might be due to many culture's belief where men are the breadwinners, and the wives take care of home and the kids. I could be wrong though.

          Oh NOOO he didn't!
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[649131].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author IMChick
        • We are the unseen 'force' in the universe.

        Behind every successful man, there is a woman.

        To add to that famous quote:
        Behind every woman, there is a man checking out her a**


        • Of course, you can also look to the hunter-gathers and nurturers for your answer, because it's the same -- Males of every species, right down to the (beta) siamese fighting fish, are flamboyant and aggressive. The right to mate and acquisition of wealth (and food for dinner) as well as the species very survival depends on this. Women are 'in the background' and like the plainly colored pea hen, don't need the male peacock feather plumage or coloring or temperamental 'display' to win their mate or attain their goals.
        • This translates to IM like this:
        Look to your business and to your competition. In all likelihood, that's where the silent women are lurking, in the sites ranking higher than yours and through the marketing you see and say " sheesh I wish I had thought of that."

        Yes, we are 'eating your lunch' but are too ladylike to let it show.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[649351].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Maria Gudelis
          Originally Posted by cosmokid View Post

          T
          I went into stealth mode and kept building out affiliate sites and published a few more ebooks......all anonymously or under a male persona.

          I tripled my income in five months working under male personas.

          This is in a lot of niches that didn't even have anything to do with IM.

          So that's been interesting.

          Present yourself as male, triple your income.

          That's what I did.

          Jennifer
          Jennifer - how weird - you posted same time I did so didn't see yours when I said - some of us post under a male penname!!!
          Signature

          Brand NEW: How To Dominate Facebook SEO - LIVE Coaching - Closes SOON! Get In Now Click Here


          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[649427].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author millionways
            Very interesting. I didn't know that? Maybe I,m different, but a woman is equal to a man's word.
            Signature

            Please read the sig file rules

            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[652221].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Dan C. Rinnert
            Originally Posted by Maria Gudelis View Post

            Jennifer - how weird - you posted same time I did so didn't see yours when I said - some of us post under a male penname!!!
            I was going to suggest that too. How do you know that many of the successful "men" in IM aren't really women using male pseudonyms?

            Heck, even if you see them of video, how do you know the real Internet marketer behind them isn't really a woman? Sure, the guy goofs off making silly videos talking about how he makes money making silly videos or whatever, while the woman is busy in another room doing the real marketing work? Two words: Remington Steele.
            Signature

            Dan's content is irregularly read by handfuls of people. Join the elite few by reading his blog: dcrBlogs.com, following him on Twitter: dcrTweets.com or reading his fiction: dcrWrites.com but NOT by Clicking Here!

            Dan also writes content for hire, but you can't afford him anyway.
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[652345].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author MR. Bliss
          Jennifer,
          If your testing prooves you are right then you have
          learned what alot of marketers do not accomplish (by testing).

          Personaly, I purchase and promote products weekly from the Wacky Gals (Kathe & Denise) as well as Mieke Jannsens and other women. When I am in cutomer mode it's about the price, delivery and actually believing the Seller.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[975301].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Andy1750
    It's because men are much more willing to completely over exagerate which is what all the gurus have to do to convince people to spend a lot of money on information that you can normally find elsewhere for free.

    Andy
    Signature

    Not trying to sell you anything :-)

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[647464].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author BizBoost
      Aaaaaaand, the WINNER is...?!?!?!?!

      Originally Posted by Andy1750 View Post

      It's because men are much more willing to completely over exagerate which is what all the gurus have to do to convince people to spend a lot of money on information that you can normally find elsewhere for free.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[648508].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Aravind Murthy
      Originally Posted by Andy1750 View Post

      It's because men are much more willing to completely over exagerate which is what all the gurus have to do to convince people to spend a lot of money on information that you can normally find elsewhere for free.
      Andy
      Andy,

      Are you trying to suggest that men are better liars?
      (LOL, no offense met to anyone....)
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[649422].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author shane_k
    Women have been "working from home" a lot longer than men, so maybe the trend for them right now is to make more gains in the boardrooms of corporations around the world.

    Shane_K
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[647489].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author DougBarger
    To be totally forthright, some of the responses have hit upon it already,

    but to really drive it home, I'd have to borrow a leaf from a great man who has

    influenced many and my life profoundly, the reverend Pastor Paul Gilbreath.

    One time he was explaining about what it truly means to be "More than Conquerors"

    in layman terms by telling the story of the prize fighting champion who

    stepped in the ring and whipped the snot out of his opponent.

    He was awarded what's called "the money purse".

    He would be called a "Conqueror".

    Later at home, he handed over the money purse to his wife.

    She is called "More than a Conqueror".
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[647505].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Saul'
      Originally Posted by DougBarger View Post

      Later at home, he handed over the money purse to his wife.

      She is called "More than a Conqueror".
      Spot on! Behind every great man there is a great woman.
      Signature

      Saul

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[975158].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Frank Donovan
    Originally Posted by ktlasm View Post

    Why is IM dominated by mostly men...?
    Who are these "mostly men" supposedly dominating IM?

    And what are the remaining parts of these beings made of - Hamsters? Wombats? Robots? :confused:



    Frank
    Signature
    TOP TIP: To browse the forum like a Pro, select "View Classic" from the drop-down menu under your user name.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[647518].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author HeySal
    Most women are smart enough not to dive into something that is going to take so darned much work and frustration, LOL. And yes....I do realize I just called myself an idiot.
    Signature

    Sal
    When the Roads and Paths end, learn to guide yourself through the wilderness
    Beyond the Path

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[647524].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author DeadGuy
      Like so many other things... men like to talk about it, women just do it.

      If you're talking about domination in terms of notoriety, most everyone would agree. The most well-known guru's in IM are male. Never seen a study on this but I'd be willing to bet dollars to doughnuts that women involved with IM average greater income than their male counterparts. I'm basing that strictly on women that I know in this arena and ones that I've worked with closely.
      Signature

      You are making this work at home stuff way harder than it is. Ready for some sanity? Clear your head and start over.

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[647574].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Randy Bheites
    This subject seems to have already been discussed at great length recently:

    warriorforum DOT com/main-internet-marketing-discussion-forum/41531-where-women-gurus.html
    Signature
    have a great day

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[647582].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author garyv
    I totally agree with Lewis - I'd be willing to bet that there are a ton of women working silently in the background (and maybe not even in the background) and raking in more than most here. They just don't have the ego, and therefore don't find it necessary to call themselves "guru". Which very well could be an advantage for them.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[647635].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author marcanthony
    Because female marketer don't require the same attention in business. Even though I do believe that there are more monetarily successful males in IM--I don't think that the gap is that wide.

    There are female marketers that will beat the pants off of many male marketers.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[647710].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author LB
    Because women are smart enough to marry successful marketers and get paid without having to work at all.

    Signature
    Tired of Article Marketing, Backlink Spamming and Other Crusty Old Traffic Methods?

    Click Here.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[647723].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ktlasm
    Such an array of viewpoints...some actually made me think a lil bit...good stuff!
    Signature

    I'm pretty cool if I say so myself...lol, and I know my stuff, folks. I'm 31 years old and I'm full, full, full time on the internet. No part timing around this way...I'm here because I simply enjoy spreading as much love & light as I possibly can. Check me out on facebook,& say Hi. http://www.facebook.com/kevingmadison or twitter http://www.twitter.com/kevinmadison

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[647756].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author koolwarrior
    Banned
    Originally Posted by 7digital View Post

    I think it's a competition thing amongst men.
    don't think women don't compete! they can be more competitive than us males
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[647760].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Anna Johnson
    Is the disparity any different to that in many (if not most) other businesses?

    Not sure of the answers, but it may be to do with how men and women are raised.

    When I look at the men and women I know who have become successful entrepreneurs or business people, they tend to come from backgrounds where they were encouraged - or forced - to pursue their dreams. They don't have the same limiting beliefs about what they're supposed to do in life that most people are probably raised to have.

    It may be that more women than men are raised - even subtly - with limiting beliefs and that this crosses over into the number of women versus men who become entrepreneurs. I think this will change over time as, gradually, more women become more prominent in business circles.
    Signature
    Discover a REAL Internet marketing newsletter
    News, comment, research, tips and more.
    (And great freebies when you subscribe...)
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[648048].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Sonni
      I think it's about emotions women tend to be more emotional and want to work jobs they can be all emotional about. IM is all about no emotion and being all business. It's tough, competitive and kind of a battle, men love to battle and women don't. The women that hang with it are the exception to the rule. Men are men and boys will be boys they love the challenge. My 2 cents.
      Sonni
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[648497].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ktlasm
    Sonni & Anna....I'm feeling your post...both make sense...a lot!
    Signature

    I'm pretty cool if I say so myself...lol, and I know my stuff, folks. I'm 31 years old and I'm full, full, full time on the internet. No part timing around this way...I'm here because I simply enjoy spreading as much love & light as I possibly can. Check me out on facebook,& say Hi. http://www.facebook.com/kevingmadison or twitter http://www.twitter.com/kevinmadison

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[648503].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author sevenish
    Men tend to be louder. If being louder is what you describe as "dominating", well ...

    Verifiable results is what I care about, not bluster.
    Signature

    100% atrocity-free! No annihilations, assasinations, explosions, killers, crushers, massacres, bombs, skyrockets or nukes.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[648507].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author candoit2
    Possibly because men are more attracted to IM because they want the "work in your underwear" lifestyle and make lots of money.(Women do not need to get into IM to live that dream). :-)
    Signature

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[648521].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author vicone
      On a number of occasions I've offered to teach IM to women in my family but they invariably reply "it's too impersonal".

      They prefer to work in environments that encourage more personal interaction. Of course, there will always be exceptions. For instance, some professions tend to be predominantly female, such as teaching and nursing. I saw figures recently that showed 95% of nurses in Australia were female. Again, there were exceptions, as shown by the remaining 5% and, of course, there are many male teachers.

      Although a generalization, there are more men happier to work in situations where there is little human interaction required - such as working with machines.

      Personally, I like it that way - I press a button and the machine stops talking. I disabled Skype on my computer for much the same reason. Yet the women in my family will talk on the phone until the battery runs flat!

      Ivan
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[648577].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author activetrader
    There are a lot of successful high-earners women in the IM but they don't go around telling everyone how much they make. For men I think it's about ego and
    competitiveness. For women it's more about the bottom line rather than recognition
    Signature

    Me

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[648583].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ktlasm
    So, could it be because we(men) have an ego...? from what I'm reading in a lot of the post here.
    Signature

    I'm pretty cool if I say so myself...lol, and I know my stuff, folks. I'm 31 years old and I'm full, full, full time on the internet. No part timing around this way...I'm here because I simply enjoy spreading as much love & light as I possibly can. Check me out on facebook,& say Hi. http://www.facebook.com/kevingmadison or twitter http://www.twitter.com/kevinmadison

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[648949].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author CPA
    What do you mean "dominate"?

    Do you have any idea how many markets are out there and products in different niches than the IM one created by woman?
    Signature
    Article writing services still available!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[648957].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author mmurtha
    Originally Posted by ktlasm View Post

    Hey Good People,

    Simple question for ya...We all see the "guru's" and all the things they do to earn themselves a great living online. I totally respect their craft and ability to carve out their own piece of the pie, but as I've grown the past 7yrs in IM and have met my share of smart, successful marketers. It still surprises me that most of the "big dogs" are like me...MALE. Now, I know there are women ripping it up and doing their thing, but why do you think men dominate the IM industry as of now...? Ciao!

    Hey Kevin,

    I just have one question for you. Who says IM is dominated by mostly men lol?

    It really depends on how people define dominant - being louder about accomplishments or having the need to be seen more in the public arena doesn't neccessarily mean dominance to me.

    Women just simply do things differently then men do, like work quietly and rake in the money honey. :p


    Mary
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[648980].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Martin Luxton
      To put it less politely than Andy1750 - men are better at bullsh**ing people.

      Martin
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[649009].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author tessmac9708
    Because the ladies are too busy spending all the hunter/gatherers gold coins...just kidding ladywarriors
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[649013].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author FranMurray
    PC has a good point. I will take a shot at the however.

    I am trying a niche that is geared toward woman. Let me tell ya this... I simply have a rough time writing copy for this niche because I don't think like a female. Men in this business are not passive, we seem to be bold and use phases like Dominate, Power, Explode... you get the idea. This does not interest most females (from what I have seen and I am not trying to step on any toes).

    I am sure there are female "Guru's" but we are not going to pay attention because the style writing and ad copy is like day and night.

    Just my thoughts
    Fran
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[649123].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Kay King
      There are more women successful online than you know. Simple reason is a basic difference between the sexes....women don't have the need to beat their chest and compare size. They may be more likely to channel their "aggression" toward the niches they work and earn in.

      Another question asked a while back is why you don't see as many women at seminars for IM. Consensus was that most seminars are weekend long events and women are not as likely to leave children for the weekend. But also because many women have no interest in "business meetings" - that's why they work at home.

      kay
      Signature
      Every child needs a pet because every family needs an optimist

      Saving one dog will not save the world....but will forever change the world for one dog.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[649170].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Matt Bard
        Originally Posted by Kay King View Post

        Simple reason is a basic difference between the sexes....women don't have the need to beat their chest and compare size. They may be more likely to channel their "aggression" toward the niches they work and earn in.
        I agree with Kay,

        My oldest daughter, one of 4, was my athlete and she and I played basketball together since she was 10 years old. I was her coach for a couple of years at the school and she was pretty good.

        She got a scholarship to college and can almost whoop dad. ( I think she lets me win)

        Anyway, now at 28 with kids she still is good enough to go out and beat her husband and his friends, (which is why they don't play with her anymore) but she has never boasted or bragged. Ever.

        During a game in 9th grade she was totally dominating the other player on the other team and at one point she asked me to take her out of the game and when I asked her why she said "because I'm destroying that girl and I don't want her be seen like this in front of her dad".

        I have to admit it made me feel like crying.

        Sorry for the long story but yes I agree with Kay and also there are a lot more women in IM then men see.

        Matt
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[649199].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author blogonator
          Ladies WAIT! Bottom line: Guys are better at IM than ladies are.
          Ok, you can start sharpening your arrows now :p
          Signature

          Hasta la WinVista, Baby!

          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[651580].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Shannon Herod
    It is because all the "Gurus" belong to an elite mastermind group called the He Man Women Haters Club.

    I think now that you know that it becomes painfully obvious.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[649130].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Thomas
    Originally Posted by ktlasm View Post

    ... but why do you think men dominate the IM industry as of now...?
    I tink it be coz men is more intelligenter
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[649140].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Michael Oksa
    Shannon, you're out of the club. Turn in your decoder ring and plastic whistle.
    Signature

    "Ich bin en fuego!"
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[649184].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Fernando Veloso
    My wife can kick some IM gurus butts and shes a ladie. In fact, ladies have a special ability to be more "cold" while doing business..
    Signature
    People make good money selling to the rich. But the rich got rich selling to the masses.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[649205].message }}
  • Uh, because it gives men something to do while surfing for porn? According to informed sources, those downloads take time, even with a fast connection...
    Signature
    "The will to prepare to win is more important than the will to win." -- misquoting Coach Vince Lombardi
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[649207].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author BlackhatVault
    Banned
    [DELETED]
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[649356].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author ktlasm
      You guys really went into this one...Love it!
      Signature

      I'm pretty cool if I say so myself...lol, and I know my stuff, folks. I'm 31 years old and I'm full, full, full time on the internet. No part timing around this way...I'm here because I simply enjoy spreading as much love & light as I possibly can. Check me out on facebook,& say Hi. http://www.facebook.com/kevingmadison or twitter http://www.twitter.com/kevinmadison

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[650687].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author edhan
      Women tend to be more humble and keep their success as low profile. My wife now working for a female boss leading a team of men under her wing to do multi-million business. Not many people know about her except she drive Ferrari to work. I think it is equally spread between men and women in the modern generation.
      Signature

      Be blessed with Thai Buddha Amulets & Tibetan dZi to accumulate wealth, health & good fortune
      Build your own community business
      Article Directory Source Code with blog & Classified Ads
      Understanding the cycle of Karma & Merits

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[651045].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Maria Gudelis
    If it makes sense to making more money - then us 'women' do step up to the plate and become a guru...the little known secret sometimes is this...

    1. You become so busy traveling city to city you no longer make the $$$ in your own business because you are so busy now speaking...which isn't too much of a problem as one can put in systems to run the biz...

    It only becomes a problem when 2. below happens..

    2. ...once you become a guru...sometimes you become the hooker to the pimp - the pimps being the players putting on the seminars, filling the seats, controlling the CASH - payment methods...nothing is worse than presenting - closing a good percentage of the room...delivering your product and the value...then have to 'chase' the seminar pimps to get your money....

    Now that is one cold hard scenario that then makes one think...

    Nice to stay in my comfy pink slippers and make money when I want, how I want, control the cash...and then travel when I want, how I want!

    Oh...and also - maybe some females are using a male pen name for their products....
    Signature

    Brand NEW: How To Dominate Facebook SEO - LIVE Coaching - Closes SOON! Get In Now Click Here


    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[649392].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author melanied
      I'm with others who have said that I don't think IM is dominated by men, I think the guru/speaking circuit is dominated by men.

      As to why that is, it's tough to say without getting into generalizations, and I'm not into them.
      Signature
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[649424].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Sheila
    Some things are part of our culture and contribute to the myths that motivate buyers. Doesn't mean they're right, doesn't mean they're wrong . . . but these myths exist and, like it or not, gender bias is alive and thriving in our world.

    Women have used male pen-names for centuries because women often do not have the luxury of being recognized as "experts" no matter what credentials they hold. We live in a male-dominated world - it's just the way it is.

    And, because of this, the good ol' boys network is still very strong in the business world - not just the IM world. A woman needs to work much harder to prove she knows what she's talking about than a man does. Most men don't see women as being credible because women think differently than the men they are accustomed to doing business with. And women don't see women as being credible, because women don't generally have the power and prestige men have.

    Another drawback for women is that, because we're women, we don't have access to the same networks a man has for building a business, and quite often a woman doesn't have mentors around her to help her see things from a business perspective - unless she's the girlfriend, mother, grandmother of someone who's taken her under their wing.

    This doesn't mean women aren't smart enough, or don't have the ability to succeed in business - quite the contrary. It's just that women don't always recognize that the skills they've developed while running the "business" of managing a household are beneficial in the business world - things like time management skills, communication skills, budgeting skills, resourcefulness, persistence, the ability to motivate others, the ability to take action, meet deadlines and multi-task to accomplish goals - these are all assets to women, but women don't always see these as marketable strengths. Hopefully, all of this is changing, but it's where we're at right now.

    Bottom line is that most men prefer to network with men they can bond with over drinks, while playing a round of golf, etc. And they're not receptive to a woman joining their "party" because a woman changes the dynamics of the interaction. So, less JV's are formed between men + women = less chance of a woman's business growing as quickly as a man's business. And . . .

    Since there are less women in the marketplace, and most women are still relatively new to the entrepreneurial world, less-successful women often see a strong, successful woman as an adversary . . . I don't know why this is, but I know I've experienced the "stabs in the back" often while I was working in another male-dominated field . . . so, as a result, there's not so much joint venture activity going on between women to help advance both of their businesses! Consequently, we have a lesser number of highly successful women in the marketplace. Sad, but true . . .
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[649999].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author marciayudkin
      For those who are still wondering where the women Goobers have been hiding, take a look at the illustrious conference lineup put together by Jody Gabourie (female) and Marty Marsh (male) - the link is in my signature.

      When I asked Jody whether or not the preponderance of women experts on the schedule was deliberate, here is what she said:

      "Marty Marsh and I handpicked the speakers based on their demonstrated expertise, our personal experience with them and that we liked them. Although it was not deliberate that 14 out of 18 speakers are women, it makes sense. Women entrepreneurs have been at the forefront of doing business in a way that respects and honors other people, fosters connection and works toward the highest good for everyone."

      Your thoughts?

      Marcia Yudkin (one of the speakers at this event)
      Signature
      Check out Marcia Yudkin's No-Hype Marketing Academy for courses on copywriting, publicity, infomarketing, marketing plans, naming, and branding - not to mention the popular "Marketing for Introverts" course.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[974476].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author crissanteiro
      That's funny. I was thinking that IM is mostly dominated by addicts...A lot of IMers talk about having being into drugs before.

      It makes sense, because IM is very addictive.

      I mean, we work hundreds of hours a week and think it's normal, right?
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[975284].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Saul'
        Originally Posted by crissanteiro View Post

        A lot of IMers talk about having being into drugs before.
        Huh? Please name a few of that lot. I must be out of the loop to not know a single one, and you make it sound like every second marketer is an ex-addict.
        Signature

        Saul

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[975483].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author warrior82
      i think before doing this comparison, we have to know the ratio of males and females taking this challenge.

      may be a very few number of women are actually choosing IM as a career path.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[977796].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author success09
    The differents women know and learn what to do, Men learn and tell everyone what they are doing. It's all about action woman in IM marketing are to busy marketing...
    This just what I have seen
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[650715].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Matt Bard
    some of us post under a male penname!!!
    Maria and Jennifer,

    Wonder how many guys on social media sites use female pen names and use avatars of beautiful women to get traffic.

    Matt
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[650820].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Kay King
      Several years ago a woman marketer told me I wasn't supporting women marketers because I use male pen names for several niches I work in.

      The only person I have to worry about supporting is ME. If a niche is one where men a better accepted, just call me Joe.

      Maybe that's the big difference between men and women in marketing. Men might post asking about whether they should use a female name or not - women just do what's needed and move on with it.

      IM Chick - a little editing on your quote....

      Behind every successful man, there is a woman telling him to get off his a** and do something.

      To add to that famous quote:
      Behind every woman, there is a man checking out her a**
      Signature
      Every child needs a pet because every family needs an optimist

      Saving one dog will not save the world....but will forever change the world for one dog.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[650852].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Jonathan 2.0
        The reason why there aren't as many women in internet marketing isn't anything complicated it's simply because men are smarter than women. (Hehe ... I'm leaving now.)
        Signature
        "Each problem has hidden in it an opportunity so powerful that it literally dwarfs the problem. The greatest success stories were created by people who recognized a problem and turned it into an opportunity."―Joseph Sugarman
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[650867].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author ktlasm
          ZigZag, I assume you like drama...lol.
          Signature

          I'm pretty cool if I say so myself...lol, and I know my stuff, folks. I'm 31 years old and I'm full, full, full time on the internet. No part timing around this way...I'm here because I simply enjoy spreading as much love & light as I possibly can. Check me out on facebook,& say Hi. http://www.facebook.com/kevingmadison or twitter http://www.twitter.com/kevinmadison

          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[650926].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Jonathan 2.0
            Originally Posted by ktlasm View Post

            ZigZag, I assume you like drama...lol.
            *Chuckle* Well it's always fun to annoy women.
            Signature
            "Each problem has hidden in it an opportunity so powerful that it literally dwarfs the problem. The greatest success stories were created by people who recognized a problem and turned it into an opportunity."―Joseph Sugarman
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[651058].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Maria Gudelis
      Originally Posted by Matthew Maiden View Post

      Maria and Jennifer,

      Wonder how many guys on social media sites use female pen names and use avatars of beautiful women to get traffic.

      Matt
      ROFL!!! Great Matt!
      Signature

      Brand NEW: How To Dominate Facebook SEO - LIVE Coaching - Closes SOON! Get In Now Click Here


      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[652303].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author BigBenForCanton
    The same reason there are more male serial killers than females. Men will 'kill' both figuratively and literally and not care about their 'fellow man.'

    And as I type this I'm listening to George Carlin and he summed up perfectly: Everything that is wrong with the world always seems to be started by men who are ignorant, greedy, and insecure.

    Carlin is phenomenal.
    Signature

    Climbing up on Solsbury Hill, I could see the city light, Wind was blowing, time stood still, Eagle flew out of the night He was something to observe, Came in close, I heard a voice, Standing, stretching every nerve, I had to listen, Had no choice...

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[651018].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Anna Johnson
    Well, whatever the reasons... I bet men AND women entrepreneurs have more in common than those who are not entrepreneurs. A much more interesting distinction IMHO
    Signature
    Discover a REAL Internet marketing newsletter
    News, comment, research, tips and more.
    (And great freebies when you subscribe...)
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[651042].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Mark .W. James
    simply put, men are smarter than women.

    please dont think im a sexist or something..i love women , they complete men.. i could have never done a single good thing in my life if it wasnt for my mom.. but the fact is, males are more capable than women in certain aspects....
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[651438].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Anna Johnson
    simply put, men are smarter than women.

    please dont think im a sexist or something..i love women , they complete men.. i could have never done a single good thing in my life if it wasnt for my mom.. but the fact is, males are more capable than women in certain aspects....
    The only problem with threads like this is that it brings out the loonies (well, amudara does give Room #12 of the Lunatic Asylum as his location...)
    Signature
    Discover a REAL Internet marketing newsletter
    News, comment, research, tips and more.
    (And great freebies when you subscribe...)
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[651556].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Jonathan 2.0
      Originally Posted by Anna Johnson View Post

      The only problem with threads like this is that it brings out the loonies (well, amudara does give Room #12 of the Lunatic Asylum as his location...)
      Mines number 13 which means I'm one step closer to the front door and sometimes escape to annoy women with my misogynistic sense of humour.
      Signature
      "Each problem has hidden in it an opportunity so powerful that it literally dwarfs the problem. The greatest success stories were created by people who recognized a problem and turned it into an opportunity."―Joseph Sugarman
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[651571].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author ktlasm
      Anna, I think you get the award for the funniest post in this thread....lol.
      Signature

      I'm pretty cool if I say so myself...lol, and I know my stuff, folks. I'm 31 years old and I'm full, full, full time on the internet. No part timing around this way...I'm here because I simply enjoy spreading as much love & light as I possibly can. Check me out on facebook,& say Hi. http://www.facebook.com/kevingmadison or twitter http://www.twitter.com/kevinmadison

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[651992].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Sheila
      Originally Posted by Anna Johnson View Post

      The only problem with threads like this is that it brings out the loonies (well, amudara does give Room #12 of the Lunatic Asylum as his location...)
      Amen to that! Even though his Mom taught him so much - he obviously didn't learn to respect her, including her talents!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[652192].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author MichaelHiles
    In addition to what has already been said, there's probably some connection in there with the technology gap between sexes - there are fewer women who work in IT than men, for example.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[652043].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author CPA
    Oh an btw.

    I'd rather receive financial and money advice from a man. It's just me or friggin physiology.

    On the other side I'd 'rather' receive advice from woman if I was interested in weight loss or gardening stuff
    Signature
    Article writing services still available!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[652061].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Michael Motley
    This is only my opinion:

    Men are more likely to hold on to a vision..or dream. Most guys that are the hard hitters in IM are guys that kept banging away at it when they were making nothing. When the bills were barely getting paid or coming up just a little short, they were still plugging away at their IM sites. When all their friends were calling them dreamers, or stupid or just couldnt grasp what the guy was doing to create money, they were still banging away at their chosen craft. They were the people that got excited when they made 10 bucks for the day, because they envisioned a bigger picture.

    Women on the other hand, dont care about what 'might' happen when it comes to money. Either the baby has diapers and there is food in the fridge or not. When there is nothing but ramen noodle in the cupboard and icewater in the fridge women dont get excited about a 10% jump in clickthrough rate because clickthrough rates dont pay the mortgage.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[652197].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author millionways
    Probably cos men have to earn to keep the woman? The woman who earn often turn out like men? and we don't like them! Who knows?
    Signature

    Please read the sig file rules

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[652209].message }}
  • We have a ton of female customers alongside our male customers, and one of the biggest contrasts is that women are more likely to want to sell a physical product that they've created or are passionate about, and men are more often trying to sell their knowledge or service -- "themselves", as it were.

    These women are just as good (or better) at all the elements of Internet marketing, but they're using it in different ways to connect with their customers then the men might be.

    It's the difference between "serving the customer" as the center of your pitch, and "making your expertise benefit the customer" as the center of your pitch.

    An interesting side note: in terms of IM strategy, women have a more natural proclivity towards social media activities and connecting in that way, while men tend to prefer the semi-one-sided activities like copywriting.

    Men are more aggressive about JV activities, but women are better at developing additional streams of income from their current offerings.

    Just some observations from our customer base, and our work doing site makeovers and education with clients.
    Signature

    The official account of the Internet Marketing Center. Stop by InternetMarketing.com to connect -- we'd love to meet you.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[652230].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ktlasm
    In deed, the women who posted in this thread really put it down kick butt style...Let's me know that what I thought I knew might be wrong....Kudos once again!
    Signature

    I'm pretty cool if I say so myself...lol, and I know my stuff, folks. I'm 31 years old and I'm full, full, full time on the internet. No part timing around this way...I'm here because I simply enjoy spreading as much love & light as I possibly can. Check me out on facebook,& say Hi. http://www.facebook.com/kevingmadison or twitter http://www.twitter.com/kevinmadison

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[660283].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ktlasm
    cosmokid, please let me know if your research on this matter has concluded..thank you
    Signature

    I'm pretty cool if I say so myself...lol, and I know my stuff, folks. I'm 31 years old and I'm full, full, full time on the internet. No part timing around this way...I'm here because I simply enjoy spreading as much love & light as I possibly can. Check me out on facebook,& say Hi. http://www.facebook.com/kevingmadison or twitter http://www.twitter.com/kevinmadison

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[660301].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author ktlasm
      Cosmo, thank you very much...extremely interesting.
      Signature

      I'm pretty cool if I say so myself...lol, and I know my stuff, folks. I'm 31 years old and I'm full, full, full time on the internet. No part timing around this way...I'm here because I simply enjoy spreading as much love & light as I possibly can. Check me out on facebook,& say Hi. http://www.facebook.com/kevingmadison or twitter http://www.twitter.com/kevinmadison

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[664109].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author archer29
    Oh...and also - maybe some females are using a male pen name for their products....
    Yup. Tis better to operate under the radar unless it's a niche like knitting or hair removal.
    For women, security is always an issue and if we remain anonymous we can kick ass like any man does and not get labeled a cold hearted bitch. Win win for us!
    Signature

    Waste some time and follow me on twitter!

    The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person already doing it - Confucious

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[660585].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Justin Jordan
      Because men are taller and get the higher "low hanging fruit"?
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[661050].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author mariochase
        Something that came up in my mind that this could also be related to, is the fact that most women are not so deeply interested in computer's stuff as men.

        Like.. I don't really know why, but if you check some computer course in college (at least here in Brazil), at least 95% (can be up to 98%) of the students are man.

        So one question is why most girls are not so into computers.. as man?? Is that something also imposed by society!? Don't really know the answer for this one.

        I don't usually see a lot of women web-designers (but I have seen a few), I haven't seem a lot of lady software programmers.

        I imagine that the reason women choose other stuff to do is because they are way more social beigns than men (they preferer to talk in person.. do business in person).. and computers is just a flat digital screen machine...

        I could be completely wrong... but that's something we have to think about too.
        Signature
        Experts Academy Review - High Paid Guru

        My WSO -
        The $10,490 Launch, How I Did It

        Success Chase <--- My Success Blog:

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[661079].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author gentlerainman
    Sure it may be dominated by men but look at people like Alexandria Brown who does an outstanding job in internet marketing. Also there are numerous success stories of successful women internet marketers in niches outside of internet marketing. I think the larger issue is whether women can bridge the gap (specifically within the internet marketing niche) and sell their knowledge and ideas to men. I don't know of a real success story in that regard.
    Signature

    Mark Satterfield-Gentle Rain Marketing Inc.
    How To Get Lots More Clients With No Cold Calling Or Hard Selling! Click Here
    How To Become The Recognized Expert In Your Field
    Click Here

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[661065].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author billionareHuman
    have to agree that men are normally attracted by money more than women
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[661211].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author CDarklock
    Originally Posted by ktlasm View Post

    why do you think men dominate the IM industry as of now...?
    Risk tolerance.

    Men simply take bigger financial risks than women. There may be more successes as a result, but there are also more failures. The bell curve is flatter.
    Signature
    "The Golden Town is the Golden Town no longer. They have sold their pillars for brass and their temples for money, they have made coins out of their golden doors. It is become a dark town full of trouble, there is no ease in its streets, beauty has left it and the old songs are gone." - Lord Dunsany, The Messengers
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[974528].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author misterwrecker
    Ask yourself "Why do men dominate the offline business world" and you will have the same answer.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[975123].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author John Willer
    And the gender war begins.
    Signature
    My Loss Is Your opportunity
    (80% off for 10 smart people)

    Click Here To Find Out Why...
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[975493].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author crissanteiro
    I really have heard many say they are. Just don't want to name them here, even though they talk about what losers they used to be.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[975561].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ByronHabich
    Actually my MOM got me into it lol.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[976302].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Kezz
    As a freelancer doing a lot of work for IMers, who don't ever bother giving me a pen name, I thought I'd do a quick count up of male and female clients. The tally is 75% men and 25% women. I'd hazard a guess that's a fairly representative cross section.

    I think it really does just come down to what you're interested in. As a general tendency, men are more interested in this kind of thing than women. The same goes with computers and general techy stuff. I'm personally very interested in computers and techy stuff, always have been, but most other women I meet aren't. At the same time though, I'm far more technically proficient than almost every man I meet.

    What I'm getting at is that what you are interested in often determines how much time you put into something, which in turn often determines how proficient you are in that area.

    To the guy using a stock photo of a male model as his avatar (this guy), making the sweeping statement that men are more intelligent than women as a rule, is an extremely inaccurate thing to suggest. I would happily take on any kind of IQ test and expect to place myself in the top 2% - 10% of all human beings in any kind of measurement of mental prowess.

    The number of women in IM is predominantly a measure of the number of women that WANT to be in IM. When you look at things honestly, it's actually much easier for women to move into areas that have a majority of men within them, than it is the other way around. For example, how much stick do male nurses or male hairdressers have to put up with?

    Yes, we all have aptitudes, but ultimately we all make the choice of where we want to apply our skills and talents. I don't believe there are any huge barriers for women entering IM. I do believe that the difference in numbers comes down to a simple matter of what people have chosen to do with their lives.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[976622].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author misterwrecker
    I agree with most of what you saying Kezz. If you take computers as a whole, women are not as interested with the technical and business aspects. I think the way we are raised and brought up has a lot to do with it also. The barriers are not huge like mentioned and nobody has to even know that you are a women. That's what separates the online world from offline. If I think about my family, friends, and acquaintances I do not personally know anyone male or female that is even involved in IM.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[976919].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author GregtheWriter
    It is interesting.

    I'm a multi-level marketer or network marketer as well an IMer, but I have noticed this very large dichotomy in my industry.

    In network marketing the most successful people more often than not are women. Despite what they say about MLM, there are many components where good salesmanship helps a lot to grow the business. Women are naturally good salespeople, they're often warm, understanding and very sympathetic to peoples situations.

    In the online world it is much different. Unsure of why. A quick stab though I'd say is that most men are more adventurous than women in many ways. IMing is a pretty adventurous profession and opens up the doors to some amazing lifestyles even if you are making a moderate living of 50-60g a year doing it.

    You're still able to go anywhere and do anything you want.

    To the top,
    -Gregory
    Signature
    Free Video Series Show You the Exact Tools Six-Figure Affiliate & Network Marketers Use
    Attract. Sponsor. Build an Empire.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[977775].message }}
  • {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[977835].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ken_p
    Because most of the women are busy taking care of the children.Lol
    Signature
    hates the rain
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[978014].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Tyrus Antas
    Testosterone. We men want to make a lot of money to attract females. Females don't need to do much to attract males, they just need to be... females. Competition among males for sex is much higher.

    Women tend to be more careful too. You won't find many women making millions from Internet Marketing but there are many who quietly are making a confortable living, growing their business one client at a time.

    Tyrus
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[978075].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author patricialin
    The learning curve for IM is quite steep and females aren't into technical things. Which is why the industry doesn't appeal to many females. I think the concept is the same as to why some industries like engineering, construction, IT etc. are dominated by males.

    But i guess, females who are in the IM industry, would probably be darn gd at what they do in order to survive in a highly competitive, male-dominated circle, don't you think?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[978799].message }}

Trending Topics